15 Vegan Lunch Ideas!

A few months ago, a blog reader asked me if I could share some lunch ideas to help her get out of a rut. That’s when it hit me that I was in quite the lunch rut myself too. I sent her some of my go-to lunch ideas (when I’m not in a rut, that is) and then I used this as a nudge to start creating more balanced lunches. As added motivation, I’ve been sharing lunch snapshots on Instagram because I thought it might be helpful for others in need of inspiration. I personally love seeing what other plant-based people whip up for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Sometimes you just need that one moment of inspiration to spark a new idea!

I have a couple main goals when making lunch:

1) They have to be quick to throw together. My secret is to rely on leftovers for most of my lunch. I’m not ashamed to admit I love leftovers. I think they’re big time savers and well, I can’t argue with the foods that taste even better the next day (like soup or chili). To me, the beauty of putting so much time and effort into food prep is that you get to enjoy the fruits of your labour the next day or two without any mess, dishes, or hassle. Leftovers rule! And if I get sick of any particular leftover, I just freeze it for another time…no big deal.

2) I aim for lunches that are packed with nutrition to fuel my day and keep my energy high. This doesn’t always happen, but it’s definitely something I shoot for most days.

veganlunchideas   15 Vegan Lunch Ideas!

Here are a handful of my favourite lunches from the past couple months, as shown above. I apologize for the photo quality – all photos were snapped on my phone. I’ll also share some other lunches I love in the list below.

1. Chickpea Quiche (new recipe I’m working on) + sides, sliced Gala apple, sliced carrots, Blissful Blueberry Banana Spelt Muffins with Strawberry Chia Seed Jam.

2. Big Burrito Bowl inspired by my Raw Taco Salad. It features a sun-dried tomato walnut “meat”, shredded kale, salsa, spiced tomato rice, green onions, black beans, and hummus. Divine!

3. Travel Meal: This is a meal I packed for travel last week. It includes a simple chickpea salad I threw together with balsamic vinaigrette, two slices of seedy spelt bread, hummus, apple, and a banana.

4. Leftover bowl of My Favourite Vegan Chili with Vegan Sour Cream. Perfect on a cold winter day!

5. Leftover soup, specifically my favourite Spiced Red Lentil, Tomato, and Kale Soup! With a huge side salad and toast with hummus. I love this lunch!!

6. A huge “kitchen sink” salad topped with leftover Cumin Lime Black Bean Quinoa Salad and hummus toast on the side.

7. Leftover bowl of cauliflower-potato-kale-lentil soup I was testing last December.

8. The Big Vegan Bowl! Packed with roasted chickpeas, sweet potatoes, quinoa, hummus, carrots, avocado, sliced cabbage, and more.

9. Avocado toast served on top of my Super Power Chia Bread.

Other lunch ideas not shown above:

10. Almond/Peanut/Sunflower Seed Butter and Chia Seed Jam on toast with fruit and veggies on the side

11. Ultimate 4-Layer Vegan Sandwich

12. Loaded Savoury Oatmeal

13. Wraps stuffed with crumbled veggie burgers or leftover casserole/burrito filling + veggies

14. Leftover Tofu Quiche

15. Easy Flaked Almond “Tuna” Salad – a reader favourite!

Ok, that’s all for now. I hope this list gives you some inspiration! Be sure to let us know in the comments what your favourite go-to lunches are.

Happy Friday!

Alexina February 21, 2014

Last week for lunches, I brought to school your Carrot Ginger Soup and chickpea salad-stuffed pita sandwiches with a fruit! I was looking forward to school just to get to lunch time ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 21, 2014

That’s great! Thanks for trying them out :) I need to make that soup again soon.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies February 21, 2014

Oh man I wish it was lunch time NOW. Great collection of recipes, some of my favorites. Yum!!!

Kerstin Decker March 18, 2014

Angela, I bought your book and immediately found what I wanted: Creamy veggie Curry, but I had no cashew nuts, so I made my creamy sauce out of cauliflower and it was soooooooo good. Vegans have so much more “play” with foods . My husband and I have been vegans for the last 20 years and enjoy a medication free healthy life and we are older, but very young at heart and body. Thanks, Kerstin

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 19, 2014

I love that idea! Will have to try it soon :) yum

Kathryn B. February 21, 2014

I just wanted to say that I got your cookbook in the mail yesterday and it is amazing! I already have about 10 things I am planning on making this weekend!! Congratulations!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 21, 2014

Oh that just made my day…thank you!! I hope you enjoy the recipes. :)

Tina Muir February 21, 2014

Another wonderful post! In this phase of my training cycle, I am ravenously hungry all the time, but always looking for new nutritious ways to enjoy my food. I try to have a hearty lunch that will keep me going for at least a few hours, and these are wonderful options!

Nutrition is crucial to my body staying healthy with all the stress I am putting it under with my high level running. It always pays off in my races if I eat right during this time, now I have lots more options! If I run the 1:13 in the half marathon this spring that I hope to, I may be sending you a thank you for keeping me on track :)

Jessica Rose February 21, 2014

Thanks for these recipes….am a veggie…but looking towards vegan in the future…so these are ideal.

vodkandarose.blogspot.co.uk

Emily @ It Comes Naturally Blog February 21, 2014

Just what I needed to see today – lacking inspiration in the kitchen. These look great! Thank you! xx

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 21, 2014

You’ve got my stomach rumbling for lunch already and it’s only 10:30! A lot of my meals are similar to your big vegan bowl – stuffed with a rainbow of veggies! I don’t know about you, but I find that if I make it look nice and pretty, it tastes even better. All of these are beautiful! Happy Friday, Ange!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh February 21, 2014

Great round up. I’m in a rut myself so this is perfect timing!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy! February 21, 2014

I am a self-proclaimed leftover queen! If I had the choice I would only eat leftovers, but its tricky because you have to cook at some point!!

Cassie February 21, 2014

I normally still from dinner leftovers too for my lunches!

Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen February 21, 2014

Nutritious packed leftovers for lunch = gold! I can’t wait to try your spiced lentil kale soup – woah!!!

sarah@thesweetlife February 21, 2014

Thanks for the ideas. I always find inspiration from your lunch IG photos and I’m in desperate need of quick healthy lunches.

Crista February 21, 2014

a big kale salad, spaghetti squash spaghetti, and marinated veggies are always good for lunches….

Kate @Almond Butter Binge February 21, 2014

Thanks for these great ideas! I love how huge all of the meals are — and absolutely packed with veggies. I need to get better about basing my meals around vegetables and fruit rather than around grains, I think…these would be a great start :)

Michelle February 21, 2014

Where is the recipe for that cauliflower-potato-kale-lentil soup??? Sounds amazing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2014

Hey Michelle, I haven’t done anything with it yet…it kinda got lost in the heap of recipes I tested around Christmas! I might have to dig it up though… :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 21, 2014

These lunches sound delicious! I’m always looking for new lunch ideas!

Audrey February 21, 2014

Thank you for some new ideas! I feel like I’m always in a lunch rut. I usually make a big salad on Sunday and eat it during the week. Sadly, my salads aren’t all that creative.

Aqiyl Aniys February 21, 2014

Nice list. I would love to jump into number 9.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 21, 2014

Avocado toast is one of my favorite things ever! I will seriously never get tired of it!

Jessica February 21, 2014

These all look so good! Everytime I make your thai sweet potato burgers I crumble the leftover patties over arugala, thin out the sauce to make salad dressing and have it as a salad for lunch – so good!!

Also wanted to let you know I got a notification I can pick up my pre-ordered cookbook at the post office…SOOOO excited!!! Such a good surprise for the weekend especially since I wasn’t expecting it till March – can’t wait to pick it up tonight!

Meghan February 21, 2014

My go-to lunch is the chickpea “tuna” salad you posted a while back. I think you had it as a wrap, but I’ve used it as a wrap, on toast, in salad, in a bell pepper, etc. Great recipe.

Alanna February 21, 2014

Angela,

Would you mind sharing what you put on/in your savoury oatmeal?

Thanks. :)

holly February 21, 2014

A newbie vegetarian (along with my 16 yr old son) I trying to incorporate more vegan dishes. Your website was recommended by a colleague at work, and I am impressed with what I have seen so far. But I have recently been diagnosed with Type II diabetes. Do you have any recipes or insights in how to combine vegetarian/vegan eating with a low carb diet? thanks

Sandy Preston February 21, 2014

Great lunch ideas! Plus I just got my cookbook and it is awesome!!!

C L February 21, 2014

Hi Angela! Yay to great vegan lunch ideas – now I was wondering if you might highlight some of your “training” vegan friendly recipes? I’ve started running competitively as well as started strength training (all of this for the first time – I admit to being a couch potato less than a year ago) and I feel so dead afterwards. And during the workouts I feel heavy and often think about how I could have eaten “cleaner”, which would make me feel more energetic than lethargic. Ideas?

Kristi February 21, 2014

Thank you for these great ideas. I am always in a serious lunch rut because I am most likely on the go! I just recently started my own blog and I must say you were part of my inspiration to do just that :)

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts February 22, 2014

I love these ideas and your focus on leftovers – something that really helps me out during the working week. I’d enjoy any of the meals you snapped :)

Bonnie February 22, 2014

Thanks again for another great post. I got an email from Indigo featuring your cookbook. Way to go Angela!

Pat February 22, 2014

When I cook lentils (usually in berbere seasonings, or a carrot & tomato-based sauce), I make a big batch. I freeze a bunch in silicon mini-loaf pans – each one is about 3-4 ounces. This gives me a stockpile of additions to add to a container of leftover rice, or a salad, or with a few roasted veggies leftover from dinner. I’ve also discovered if you melt one of these lentil units in a cup of water, it makes a really good workday soup.
I agree about presentation being important. If you artfully arrange a random assortment of vegetables around a dollop of hummus, or add a sprinkle of green onions on top of the leftover chili, it feels more special.

Allison @ Clean Wellness February 22, 2014

I love making a pureed “orange” soup (squash, sweet potato or carrot) in the winter to keep in the fridge for the week and add a huge bunch of kale. I usually round it out with some chickpeas or hummus, avocado and fresh veggies. I don’t like to be overly full because I always like to leave room for a substantial afternoon snack :) I’m a grazer and eat all day long most days!

I’m going to print off that recipe for the “tuna” salad and I plan on making your quiche this week. Yum!

nancy barbata February 22, 2014

O! Thank you for this post! I come up against a mental block so often when it’s time to make meals. It is on my 2014 Intentions list to find recipes I like and can remember!!! What a treat! (both for my tummy and my mind) :o)

Michelle @ Esculent Dreams February 22, 2014

Your “Big Vegan Bowl” makes me smile every time I see it!! Just reading the ingredients make my mouth water.. thanks for compiling these into a roundup!

Olivia February 22, 2014

I made the chick pea pancake this weekend!!! Absolutely love it!!

Cindy February 22, 2014

My husband got me your cookbook for an early birthday gift! It arrived from Canada to So. Calif. in 2 days! And it was out early! :) Love all the beautiful pictures with the recipes! My husband has already picked out something for me to make – the mushroom tart. Thanks Angela for all these wonderful healthy recipes! Looking forward to trying each one…….

Elizabeth- Hippy Mom February 22, 2014

Still enjoying your Energy and Work Mrs. Liddon, enjoy your evening. Raw Superfood Kombucha Mylkshake, Yummy?

Andrea K February 23, 2014

Just received the Oh She Glows cookbook! My daughter and I made the Empowered noodle dish…my family loved and we had great fun making it! Thanks for a great book that is quickly becoming my favorite !!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 23, 2014

Thank you Andrea! I’m so happy to hear that :)

Julie Horsman February 23, 2014

Just picked up your book yesterday. Love that you have a picture for everything. Great job, don’t know what to make first but I’m leaning toward apple & pear baked oatmeal. Congratulations! Fabulous job :)

Pat February 23, 2014

Thanks for the great inspiration. Is there a recipe for the sun dried tomato walnut meat? It sounds wonderful.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2014

Hey Pat, I’m not sure if I wrote it down, but I think it was something like this: 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, 1 cup toasted walnuts, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, salt to taste, 1/2 tbsp nutritonal yeast, chili powder to taste. Cant recall if I used garlic now. Anyway, I used a mini food processor and processed the tomatoes until minced and then added in the rest and pulsed just until combined and chopped. so tasty!

Fiona February 23, 2014

All of these look super tasty, the variety of colors and general aesthetics of the food itself and the way it is served makes it look even more tempting!
And there is an abundance of ingredients to mix together, foods I would have never even thought of before deciding go vegan, I’m so glad that there are people like you who document and share their recipes for everyone to try!
Thank you so much for sharing these, hope you’re having a great day!

cheri February 23, 2014

great line-up. love your site. thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 212»