9 Delicious Vegan and Gluten-Free Detox Recipes

detoxrecipes   9 Delicious Vegan and Gluten Free Detox Recipes

If you’re anything like me, you might be on the hunt for some kick-butt, plant-powered recipes to start off 2014 on the right foot. Here are 9 favourite healthy recipes from the past year. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

1. Easy Flaked Almond “Tuna” Salad

vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free option, no bake

I think this almond “tuna” salad tastes even better than the real thing. The base of this salad is made with plump soaked almonds which are processed until “flaked” in texture. To bulk up the flaked almonds, I added celery, garlic, and green onion for more flavour and crunch. Finally some oil-based mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and lemon juice brought everything together. The end result is creamy, crunchy, a bit tangy, and seriously, seriously hard to resist. I couldn’t stop eating it straight from the bowl! Try it on top of a salad, in cucumber cups, lettuce wraps, on toasted sprouted-grain bread.

065A8486   9 Delicious Vegan and Gluten Free Detox Recipes

2. The Best Shredded Kale Salad

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free

Want in on a little secret? A Toronto Maple Leafs hockey player said this is the best kale salad he’s ever had (and apparently they eat a lot of kale!). My life is now complete. And I might pee my pants.

065A3668   9 Delicious Vegan and Gluten Free Detox Recipes

3. Detox Tabbouleh

Vegan. gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free, no bake, nut-free

With a base of cauliflower rice, this non-traditional version of tabbouleh is grain-free while still tasting incredible thanks to the heart-healthy red wine and flax dressing. Cruciferous vegetables (such as broccoli, kale, cauliflower, cabbage, watercress, and mustard greens) are said to be detoxifying because they provide support for the immune, inflammatory, hormonal, detoxification, and antioxidant systems in the body. One more reason to dig in! I especially love this tabbouleh served with hummus and crackers. A fun snack or light lunch.

065A7070   9 Delicious Vegan and Gluten Free Detox Recipes

4. Pink Power Detox Smoothie

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free

Beet, strawberries, avocado, and lemon unite to create one kick-butt, surprisingly delicious, creamy, bright pink smoothie! It’s not super sweet, so if you like your smoothies on the sweeter side I suggest adding an apple to compliment the other flavours.

065A9128   9 Delicious Vegan and Gluten Free Detox Recipes

5. Chia Fresca

vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, oil-free, no bake, refined sugar-free, nut-free

I like to call this my all-natural energy drink! Chia Fresca has been a popular drink in Mexico and Central America for many years. It’s made up of water, chia seeds, lemon or lime juice, and sweetener. Thanks to the chia seeds, it’s packed with nutrition and the lemon or lime juice aids in detoxifying the body. Drink it after a wild night (such as NYE!) or anytime you need a boost. I know I’m going to have a bottle ready for New Year’s Day…

IMG 2408   9 Delicious Vegan and Gluten Free Detox Recipes

6. Back on Track Green Monster

vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free, no bake, nut-free, soy-free

This Green Monster is great for getting your healthy eating back on track after a series of indulgences. I’ll take 8 please! It sets your day on the right tone and instantly makes you feel great. For the banana haters out there, you’ll be pleased to know that this one is banana-free. As with any smoothie, feel free to play around with the ingredients to suit your own taste buds. You might like more or less lemon, ginger, apple, etc. Add to taste and you can’t go wrong.

IMG 8139   9 Delicious Vegan and Gluten Free Detox Recipes

7. Italian Bean Balls with Spaghetti Squash Noodles

Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, sugar-free

Delightful Italian bean balls filled with basil, oregano, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes round out this fresh & light meal of spaghetti squash "pasta" and tomato sauce. It’s a light meal, but it totally feels gourmet.

065A2464   9 Delicious Vegan and Gluten Free Detox Recipes

8. Jumbo Chickpea Pancake

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, oil-free, soy-free, sugar-free

This dense and filling savoury chickpea pancake is packed with protein and fibre and it makes a great breakfast, lunch, or quick dinner. Feel free to change up the mix-ins and toppings based on what you have in your fridge. It’s super versatile! I love it topped with hummus, avocado, salsa, and a sprinkle of Herbamare.

065A0362   9 Delicious Vegan and Gluten Free Detox Recipes

9. Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Larabars’

vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake, oil-free, soy-free option (use Enjoy Life chips or omit)

Because we all need something sweet now and then! This recipe is just like the store-bought bars, only homemade in your own kitchen in a matter of minutes.

IMG 0459   9 Delicious Vegan and Gluten Free Detox Recipes

Contest Winners:

Congrats to Meredith Bessey for winning the $100 Whole Foods Gift Card and the subscription to Chickpea Magazine! I’ve sent you an email this morning to collect your info.

The Facebook winner of a digital subscription to Chickpea Mag is Kirsty Scharneck! Please email press@ohsheglows.com and we’ll get you hooked up.

Congrats ladies! Thanks to everyone who participated.

Wishing you all a very happy, prosperous, healthy, and fun New Year! I’m so grateful that you take the time out of your day to visit my blog; you enrich my life in so many ways. All the best to you in 2014! I have a feeling it’s going to be a great year.

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} December 29, 2013

These all look fantastic Angela! Happy New Year to you and yours!

Sharon December 29, 2013

Great round-up! That ‘tuna’ is now on my to-do list. And, that part about 2014 being a great year? I have that same feeling, too :) xxoo

Morgan December 29, 2013

All these recipes look great! I’m going to have to make that kale salad asap :-) it looks like it would be great to make ahead and use throughout the week

Amy January 4, 2014

I have made the kale salad so many times, its unbelievable.

Emma December 29, 2013

Wow!! These all look amazing!! I’m just starting out being a vegan – certainly, mixing being a student with become vegan is so hard… your website is amazing!! Have a lovely New Year :) and thank you for everything :)

The Vegan Cookie Fairy December 29, 2013

Angela, this was just what I needed! I have been eating a lot of sugary foods over the Christmas period, not to mention testing for my dessert e-books released next year, and the boyfriend visiting at the moment so we’re eating lots of ‘man food’… I’m feeling quite bloated and heavy, to say the least. I can’t wait to make your Shredded Kale Salad! xoxo

Stefanie December 29, 2013

YUM YUM YUM!! I think I’m going to make “more chia seeds” one of my New Year’s Resolutions… And the Italian Bean Balls with spaghetti squash looks heavenly!

Emma December 29, 2013

Great picks! I had a giant chickpea flour pancake for lunch today :D
I can’t believe I still haven’t made that flaked almond salad yet. Thanks for the reminder.

J December 29, 2013

Angela, I love your site, your recipes and your approach to food. I honestly can’t keep track of how many of I your recipes are staples in my household! That said, I’m a bit bummed to see the word “detox” in front of these (amazing!) recipes. I just feel that your blog does such an amazing job of conveying a super inclusive approach to eating – one that sees celebration as just that – and not something that requires a “fix”. It doesn’t make me love your blog any less, just a totally individual opinion from someone who thinks that d-word undermines the notion that true health means making room for everything in your life. I’m still very excited to have purchased more than one copy of your book and I wish you the very best and continued success in 2014!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2013

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, J. I appreciate your honesty and I can now see how it might come across in the wrong way. Totally not my intention! I was simply trying to communicate that these recipes contain ingredients that are shown to help with the detoxification process in the body.
All my best & thanks for ordering my book!

Keri @ WithlovefromColorado December 29, 2013

Thank you. !!! Being 9 months pregnant & baking a ton of cookies for friends meant eating waaay too much sugar. Looking forward to eating a bit cleaner & lighter–both now and after baby (any day now!).

Wishing you lots of love, laughter, health, & prosperity in 2014!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy December 29, 2013

haha a detox is exactly what i need right about now!

Emma (This Kind Choice) December 29, 2013

These all look great, I have tried and loved the Chia Fresca and the chickpea pancake. Those larabars and the flaked almond salad are definitely on my ‘must try’ list! Happy New Year to you :)

Diana December 29, 2013

I can’t wait to try all of these!

Kate December 29, 2013

I cannot get over how yummy that pink smoothie was when I made it! I’m going to have to try those Larabars (I’m unhappy with my current recipe) and for sure the kale salad. Thanks for sharing, and Happy New Year :)

Jenni December 29, 2013

Good idea having a bottle of the chia drink ready for New Year’s Day! I should do that. Also stoked about your bean balls. I’ve been meaning to find a good bean ball recipe because I haven’t made them in forever. Your food is seriously the best. Definitely one of the prettiest food blogs around, and not just in the vegan world, but in the blog world in general. I just started my blog a little while ago and I’m finding it difficult to really put my effort into it. You’re my inspiration to get my blog feet on the ground. Huge fan. :)

Carmi December 29, 2013

Thank you for putting these together. You have saved me so much time, and believe me I appreciate that more than you know. I am not a fan of the word detox. It could be that it is about healthy living for me. Healthy lifestyle, and healthy food, and constantly trying to achieve a balance. I love your blog, and appreciate all the time and effort you put into it.
I am a forever fan!

Katie December 29, 2013

This is such a great mash up of recipes! I so need this after holiday splurging :)

Sonia December 29, 2013

Hi Angela,
LOVE your blog!
Will your book be available as an e-book ?
Thanks,
Sonia

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 30, 2013

Hey Sonia, Thanks for your kind words! I do think it will be available as an e-book, but I have to check on that.

karina December 29, 2013

Great ideas and tips! Thanks for sharing!! I will be trying the Green Monster tomorrow morning!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 30, 2013

Mmmm I wish I could stay home all day and make these! I’ve had a huge craving for the Whole Foods detox salad again (ever since our visit last month!) and am going to make a big batch on New Years Day when I can get back into my kitchen and cook the day away. I also just ordered a huge bag of chia seeds so there will be lots of chia fresca a-flowing! Happy (early) New Year, Ange!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance December 30, 2013

The kale salad and faux tuna salad looks insanely delicious! These are definitely being added to my meal prep for next week!

John B December 30, 2013

The Italian bean balls look amazing! BTW, try as I might, I can’t see the image for Detox Tabbouleh. Not sure why that would be.

Taya December 30, 2013

What a great round-up of recipes! I’m dying to try the Pink Power Detox Smoothie, but I have a hard enough time staying warm during the winter. I do want to let you know: I first made the shredded kale salad for Thanksgiving, and since then I’ve eaten it at least 4 or 5 times per week! I could pretty much eat the “Parmesan” part with a spoon! 95% of the dinners I make for my husband come from your blog, and he loves every single one of them, which is really something, considering I’m a vegan and he’s not!

Kira - The Healthable Old Soul December 30, 2013

I just love coming to your blog! You always make such wonderful and healthy recipes that I crave – as well as your awesome pictures!

Elizabeth December 30, 2013

I’m posting here in hopes that someone here can help me out with a vegan pregnancy. We are vegan at my house because my 18 month old has severe food allergies to animal proteins. He’s also allergic to wheat and nuts. As you can see, this makes it very difficult. I keep nuts at work as a pick me up, but I need some suggestions on what I can make at home that are nut free but helps me to get the extra protein that I need right now.

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health December 30, 2013

I feel healthier just looking at all of these. Oh, and hungrier too. So many delicious things to make! Especially that kale salad.

I pre-ordered your book last night and I’m so excited to try more of your amazing recipes. It will make it that much easier to stay healthy in 2014.

Cheers to the new year!

Alex @ Kenzie Life December 30, 2013

Every year around this time I look through your old “detox” type recipes because I always feel so lethargic after the heavier holiday fare. I added a little bit more banana to the pink power smoothie and really loved the sweetness it gave it :)

Melinda @ Love Melinda December 30, 2013

These all look great! I’m in the mood for some lighter food!

Kathleen December 30, 2013

Oh, and how did you know we’d be needing this list at this time of year…
Thanks for posting! Happy New Year to you and yours!

Shayna Teicher December 30, 2013

Awesome! I came home from work feeling drained and now just reading this has revived me and gotten me excited to plan the rest of the week’s meals for boyfriend and I. Those larabars are gonna get made tonight though….they say dessert is the most important meal of the day (right?). Hope you have a superfabulous new year!

elizabeth-hippy mom December 30, 2013

My family did not have a Christmas dinner so , I feel like im already ahead of toning up my body for my spring time shorts… Ill drink a detox drink tomorrow and kick***, oops I mean exercise and be me.

Stacie December 31, 2013

BENNY!!! I spy Benny in your Winter Wonderland post!! SO SO SO cute :) Glad he made an appearance!! I love his white face. He just looks SO soft and happy all the time! (yes, I’ve been a ready for a loooong time (i.e. 1st Halloween post with Sketchie).

Thanks for the yummy recipes. I can’t wait for March (i.e. your cookbook). Preorders are the best. It will be like Christmas morning in March!

Happy New Year to you and Eric (Sketchie too) :)

Stacie December 31, 2013

Oops..Sketchie wasn’t in that first post, but you know what I mean ;)

Kylie @ FotV December 31, 2013

This is exactly what I needed, thank you! I’m starting off 2014 with a 10 day detox and I’m excited to include some of these recipes!

Laura December 31, 2013

These ‘detox’ recipes look amazing! With so much unknowns in our food sources, it’s good to know what is actually GOOD and cleansing for us! Thanks for posting!

Laura

Liisa @ Silkka Garden Apothecary December 31, 2013

Hi Angela,

I’ve been a huge fan of your site (and recipes!) for a few years now, and felt it was finally time to say thanks for all you do. I’m not vegan, but thanks to your recipes have begun incorporating more vegan meals into my family’s menu each week (and all my “boys” love them!).

Wishing you and yours a very happy New Year! Congrats on your upcoming book – look forward to picking up a copy.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 31, 2013

Hey Liisa, I’m so happy to hear that! Thanks & Happy New Year to you as well :)

Leon December 31, 2013

“Tuna” salad is awesome. Just made it for the first time and it’s so good. Soaked almonds give it a real authentic feel. Thanks for a great recipe as always :)

brittany January 1, 2014

Thanks for this inspiring post, angela! I, too, am hoping that your cookbook will be an e-book as well (especially if it’s a .pdf cause i find those are the easiest to use). I’m a big big traveller and can’t afford to move cookbooks every time i move. If you publish it digitally, you can count on me for a copy!

Lauren January 1, 2014

Thanks for the links to your great re-fresh recipes! Although Ive been trying to incorporate more whole foods each day – it’s nice to have a list of your fabulous recipes to refer to!
Hope you had a great new year!

Lynn January 1, 2014

Love, love, love this blog! Your recipes make it deliciously easy to eat better! Thank you for sharing! Just pre-ordered your book – can’t wait until March!

Sarah January 1, 2014

Love your blog and can’t wait for the book! I am not vegan but try to make vegan meals at home as often as possible. I think eventually I will be fully converted as I feel much better after one of your recipes! I love these roundup posts and your posts you did on a week of lunches and meal plans to make. I remember reading that you are not huge into meal planning, (and not that you asked ha!) but I’d love to see some sample weekly menu ideas to help navigate creating well rounded vegan meals! And tips on what is freezer friendly as it seems most veggie meals are not.

Thanks for another year of great recipes!

Sarah January 1, 2014

These all look so delicious & your pictures are gorgeous! I’ve been a vegetarian for a couple of years and just gave up dairy two months ago. Your blog has helped me transform my meals and food choices so much while remaining totally satisfied and nourished. Thank you!!

Page 1 of 212»