My Go-To Travel Breakfast

065A3275

Hello, hello!

This trip was a busy one and our days were packed full with adventures, so I defaulted to Instagram as my “mini blog post” method of choice while traveling. It’s a fun way to share little snippets of scenery, people, and food when on the road. Oh, what did we do without Instagram? I just love it. Anyway, we have hundreds of DSLR photos to sift through, but I hope to put together a recap at some point!

For now, I thought I would take a moment to share my go-to breakfast on our travels. We met up with my mom and step dad in Scottsdale and we also spent a couple glorious days in Sedona.

065A3284

When traveling, Eric and I both prefer to make breakfast in our room before heading out. We’re kind of sticklers for having the same breakfast every morning and nothing beats how quick it is, especially because we headed out for hikes by 6am several mornings! I’ve been on a big vegan overnight oats kick lately and his go-to is always Nature’s Path cereal. For this trip, I brought along protein powder from home and then I picked up the ingredients for my current favourite, super-filling bowl of vegan overnight oats. Just prep it at night before bed and it’s ready in the morning. Obviously, this breakfast wouldn’t work everywhere depending on where you are going, but it’s great when it does.

065A3289

[Missing from the photo above – oats]

IMG_1090

While I was taking pictures of my breakfast on the deck, I kept the door to the cabin ajar and a tiny lizard made its way into our room!!! Rookie mistake. hah. We found this little guy baking on a window in the sun. So cute.

065A3363

I also picked up some granola for breakfast and hiking fuel, and it ended up being my favourite store-bought granola of all time. Have you tried this purely elizabeth brand yet? I haven’t seen it in stores near me, so I’m going to have to recreate this at home. It’s chock-full of good ingredients like coconut oil & coconut sugar, sunflower seeds, quinoa flakes, and I also think this flavour is nut-free (but made in a facility that uses nuts, FYI).

065A3282

Protein Packed Vegan Overnight Oats

Just a word of caution: The protein powder in this recipe is not for everyone and it’s a taste and texture I got used to with time. My advice is to start off with a small amount of protein powder and gradually add more as you get used to it. The flavour will differ dramatically based on the brand you use. Try something quite neutral. I use Sunwarrior Warrior Blend Natural. The other option is just to omit the protein powder all together. Also, feel free to add sweetener if the oats aren’t sweet enough for you. I did a rough calculation and my bowl has almost 25 grams of protein and it keeps me going all morning long!

Serves: 1 large, filling portion (or two smaller portions if you prefer)

Ingredients:

• 1 very large ripe banana
  • 3 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 scoop protein powder of choice (I use Sunwarrior Warrior Blend Natural), optional
  • 1/3 cup gluten-free rolled or quick oats
  • 1 cup water (or almond milk)
  • 1/3 cup almond milk (or more water in a pinch, but it won’t be as creamy)
  • granola or fresh fruit, for topping

1. In a medium bowl, mash the banana until mostly smooth.
  2. Stir in chia seeds followed by the protein powder (if using) and oats. It will resemble a very thick paste.
  3. Whisk in the water/almond milk with a fork, until smooth and no clumps remain.
  4. Place in the fridge overnight or for at least 1-2 hours, until the oats are soft and the mixture is thick.
  5. Serve with a sprinkle of granola and fresh fruit, if desired.

This breakfast is the perfect healthy fuel for hiking trails, climbing mountains, and early morning sunrise adventures. I love knowing that I start off the day with a balanced breakfast just in case we end up having a late lunch.

IMG_4488

Yes, this girl who is scared of heights sat on that very mountain edge! Don’t tell my mom. I promise it wasn’t as bad as it looks in the photo! hah.

All good things must come to an end, I suppose. I have a second pass of my book editing due shortly, so I best get back to reality and start digging through email. I’m hoping to post another Thanksgiving/holiday recipe inspired by this incredible meal I had at True Food Kitchen the other day. Here’s hoping it turns out as good or even better!

See you soon.

1 Tina Muir November 21, 2013

Wow yum! I have to pack breakfast a lot so this would be perfect! I wish I would have consumed some of this before my marathon…..may not have crashed from 2:40 pace to 2:50 due to lack of complex carbohydrates!

Will definitely give this a try! Yum!

2 Hippy Mom- November 21, 2013

Hey since my actual name is Elizabeth I thought I would post first. Your trip looks amazing and I have not seen this granola product , I’ll try it !

3 Hippy Mom November 22, 2013

Can I use quick cook oats for your overnight oats????:)

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2013

yes you can – I tried it a few times and it works fine! I missed the chewiness from the rolled oats, but otherwise it works great

5 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh November 21, 2013

Love the shot of your slippers with your breakfast! :)

I literally gasped out loud when I saw that last picture. You’re crazy, girl! I’d have been pinned up against the mountain crying or in the fetal position.

6 Erica House (@Erica_D_House) November 21, 2013

What a gorgeous hike! I also bring oats with me whenever I travel. I love having comfort food with me :)

7 Shana November 21, 2013

Hello! I use some of your recipes and have really enjoyed them. I have one question about non-dairy milks. I have read that carageenan is not very healthy to consume but I find it is in almost every non-dairy milk on the market today. I have found that one plain soy milk at Trader Joe’s doesn’t have carageenan but everything else has it. I’d rather not make everything with spy milk since soy might be genetically modified and it is heavily processed. Do you know of a brand of almond milk without carageenan or do you know if carageenan is actually safe? I’m not really interested in making my own almond milk. Thanks for your advice!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2013

Hey Shana,
If you have a Whole Foods nearby, their 365 brand doesn’t have carrageenan in it. Silk is another brand without it. The other option is to make your own – I have a recipe here: http://ohsheglows.com/2013/01/24/my-favourite-homemade-almond-milk-step-by-step-photos/ hope this helps!

9 Tiffany November 21, 2013

Hi Shana,

The trader joes refrigerated almond milk is also free of carrageen. I hope this helps :)

10 Dayna Boyer November 21, 2013

I’ve recently fallen in LOVE with overnight oats (I especially like your green monster overnight oats recipe….although it gets funny looks from people in the office). My three favourite ingredients recently are frozen blueberries, frozen raspberries (because they’re thawed by morning time), and of course chia seeds.

11 Alex @ Kenzie Life November 21, 2013

That Purely Elizabeth granola looks great! And the blueberry hemp flavor sounds awesome! I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that at the Whole Foods near me but I have yet to try it!

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2013

I think they have 3 other flavours too – wish I bought them all now!

13 Maura November 21, 2013

I am in love with the cuteness of your slippers peaking out in the photo of your oats on the deck! Too cute!! :-)

14 Christine (Merf) November 21, 2013

I’m still trying to figure out how to make overnight oats that aren’t too mushy. Going to try this mixture next time. And of course add my nut butter on top!

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2013

If you don’t like mushy, these probably aren’t for you either! hah. Well, I would describe these as very “doughy” – especially from the protein powder thickening things up. I get that the texture isn’t for everyone though!

16 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl November 21, 2013

Looks like my kind of breakfast!! I’ve never tried the Purely Elizabeth brand, but I see it popping up everywhere….. I need to give it a try soon!

17 OSGMOM November 21, 2013

Wow that photo of you on the Mountain took my breath away :) So glad I was oblivious to it all, but I am so proud of you for having the courage to do it!

18 Averie @ Averie Cooks November 21, 2013

That last shot is stunning! Whoa!! I lived in AZ for 9 mos and never explored it as much as I should have…whoops!

I agree with your statement that protein powders arent for everyone and can have a strong taste. I can totally see how this bowl would have kept you full for awhile! Looks great!

19 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 21, 2013

Mm you breakfast looks great Ange! Your travel photos are some of the most gorgeous I’ve ever seen. I haven’t spotted that granola brand up here yet either, so I’m thinking we might not have it yet. Can’t wait to hear about the recipe inspired by True Food Kitchen!

20 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} November 21, 2013

What a gorgeous photo of the mountains! I’ve never been to Arizona but it looks amazing. I’d be super scared up there though.

I love VOO, never made them with protein powder though. I agree that it’s definitely an acquired taste. I’ve never tried Sunwarrior but have heard good things about it. I usually use Vega myself.

21 Tammy Root November 21, 2013

Wow, I LOVE that last pic or you and Eric (I assume). That is frame-worthy! Hope you had a nice, relaxing vacation. You deserve it — you’ve been working so hard on the cookbook.

22 Shundara@SavyNaturalista November 21, 2013

Lovely view! We went to Sedona and didn’t get a chance to hike! I just may go to Sedona instead a flagstaff for Christmas just to hike the red rocks :). I almost had a heart attack when we did the scenic drive! I am not a fan of heights as well!!

23 Bethany November 21, 2013

CATHEDRAL ROCK! I caught the hiking bug climbing up that very rock…did you feel weird at all at the top? Supposedly Cathedral Rock is in some kind of “vortex” or something. So cool!

24 Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen November 21, 2013

Sounds like a beautiful trip! I had to hold my breathe when looking at the last photo of you and Eric on the rock! Love the idea of bringing breakfast food along for a road trip – can’t wait to try this! :)

25 Em @ Love A Latte November 21, 2013

What pretty pictures and those overnight oats sounds perfect to me! :)

26 Hannah November 21, 2013

Purely Elizabeth is hands down the MOST AMAZING store-bought granola of all time. I don’t even like eating it over plant milk or yogurt or with fruit because it’s so delicious on its own, and when it’s on sale at Whole Foods (very rarely) we literally buy ten of them LOL. I’m sorry you can’t find it in Canada…but if you recreate it, I would be forever in your debt ;-)

27 Christine @ Gotta Eat Green November 21, 2013

Wow – stunning pictures! Looks like you guys had a great time. I have never brought the ingredients to make my breakfast when I travel. We don’t travel that often so I guess when we do it is nice to get some variety.

28 Kammie @ Sensual Appeal November 21, 2013

Oh yes I love Purely Elizabeth.

29 Ting November 21, 2013

I’m so glad you did a travel breakfast post! I am travelling for about 3 months next year for work and I am hoping to create a stable breakfast routine for myself.

Also, that picture looks terrifying but amazing that you climbed that far up! Did someone take that photo for you two??

30 Oge | healthy food delivery November 21, 2013

Thanks so much for this post Angela. I have to try this breakfast idea. I love the convenience and I think I would like the texture and flavor. And yes, the last shot is truly breathtaking!

31 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! November 21, 2013

Sedona will forever be one of my favorite places on Earth. It’s so easy to feel at peace there.

32 Melissa C November 21, 2013

I LOVE the photos you posted of your trip to Arizona! I swear was living vicariously through you on instagram! I cannot wait to see you recap!
You’re overnight oats look and sound amazing! Unfortunately I cannot tolerate oats, any suggestions as what I could use in place of oats?

33 Lauren November 21, 2013

So glad trip was nice! Can’t wait for the true food-like recipe. We go there all the time. My kids even love it:)

34 Jessica November 21, 2013

Hi Angela – I had run into you at the airport when you guys were leaving for Arizona – just wanted to say I love that last picture! I didn’t have time to do any sightseeing since I was travelling there for work but after seeing that pic will definitely have to go back on vacation sometime. Was great to meet you!! Realized afterwards I should have told you that since discovering your blog in the Spring, literally almost everything I’ve made for my family and friends has been one of your recipes and you have really helped me transition to a more plant-based diet – so wanted to say thank you :)

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2013

Hey Jessica,

It was so nice meeting you too!!! You are such a sweetheart and I wish we could’ve chatted longer! Hopefully you can go back sometime with more free time for exploring. Thanks for your kind words about my recipes by the way. Maybe we’ll bump into each other in the GTA sometime! ;)

36 Katie November 21, 2013

I LOVE the Purely Elizabeth granola! I’ve had the cranberry one and the pumpkin fig and they are both soooo good! Your overnight oats with them and a little bit of almond butter is delicious!

37 Jen November 21, 2013

That looks like an amazing trip! That is my all-time favorite granola too! I had some with the same almond milk this morning! YUM! I also love the Purely Elizabeth pumpkin fig and plain flavors too. They’re clean and filling!

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2013

I’m wishing I bought all the flavours now!

39 Emily - It Comes Naturally Blog November 22, 2013

I find overnight oats are a great travel breakfast, and if you make them up already (for one night for example) the chia seeds make them all thick and less likely to leak – yay!

Kudos to you for sitting on that ledge – it’s beautiful, but I think I would have been terrified!

40 Sylvia Dewy November 22, 2013

I always prefer oats in breakfast its healthy in fact its keep a check on your waist line too. I always make a nice smoothie with oats. i was planning to try this overnight oatmeal too. however, what i like really is the protein powder in this recipe. it completes the meal in fact i can have this after my post workout too. Thanks for the tip! :)

41 Laura-Jane November 22, 2013

I’d love to be sitting on that ledge right about now – how beautiful is that?

Isn’t it great to discover new brands of favourite foods? Your cereal with its mega protein looks perfect – no wonder it kept you going all morning!

42 MIZ November 22, 2013

ooh must find the ELIZABETH.

43 Jenna November 22, 2013

Hi Angela –

I was wondering – do you have any savory breakfast ideas? I love all of your overnight oats and have been eating them pretty much daily for months now, but I’m thinking something savory would be a nice change. Thanks

Jenna

44 Pam Bowen November 22, 2013

Good Morning,
Love this information…you missed the rain! It started here in Phoenix last night…mostly on the west side where I live. Great picture of Sedona….lovely, professional!
Breakfast? I add hemp hearts – ( from Cost-co ) so amazingly nutty tasting. I add nutritional yeast and flax meal. I have never used protein powder…so I will look for that at Trader Joe’s. I gave up milk so I wet my mix with fruit, too. I have only been a vegetarian for two years and it gets easier every day….so many wonderful food combinations can be achieved ! I also have a small grinder and I can add different grains as powder.
Regards,
Pam
Have a great day

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2013

Hi Pam, Yes I heard that it’s pouring in Scottsdale this morning! I guess we planned our trip for the right week. ;) Stay dry!

46 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen November 22, 2013

Even just looking at that last photo is giving me the heebie jeebies – I hate heights!

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. :)

47 Heather McClees November 22, 2013

This looks great Angela! Thanks for sharing! That’s my favorite kind of protein powder! I love how thick and creamy it is, and it works well in so many recipes:) Plus, OO have been a fave breakfast of mine this week, and honestly, I’m wondering how I forgot how delish they can be;) Great tips!

48 Ree November 22, 2013

Sounds delicious! I usually don’t have time for breakfast in the morning, so i love that this recipe can be made the night before. Cant wait to try it!

-Ree
thedowntowndreamer.blogspot.com

49 sherry November 22, 2013

Thanks for much for this breakfast to go idea. I will definitely use it next year when I have to travel to vegas for 2 weeks. Ugh …

50 janae @ bring joy November 22, 2013

That last photo is the best! Love it.

I haven’t used protein powder in anything in a few years. I don’t think I really need it because I eat beans every day, but now that I’m in the last stages of my pregnancy I’m really craving a lot more protein, so I’ll have to check out that brand you mentioned & maybe start adding a scoop to my morning smoothies.

51 Rosanna November 22, 2013

Hi Angela! I. LOVE. YOUR. BLOG. PERIOD.

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2013

Thanks Rosanna! :)

53 Sabrina @ Living, Learning, Eating November 22, 2013

That breakfast looks amazing!

54 Carrie @ Season It Already! November 22, 2013

I am afraid of heights, too, so just looking at that photo made my hands sweaty! (Though my husband says that isn’t true, I just *think* my hands are sweaty! Lol.)

55 nan @ lbddiaries November 22, 2013

Beautiful pictures but you’d NEVER get me out on a ledge like that. My feet just wouldn’t take me there. I like the idea of overnight oatmeal. Wonder if it would work on the steel cut oats we eat?

56 Carissa November 22, 2013

Thanks for the inspiration! I love overnight muesli but had gotten tired of the way I make it. Adding the mashed banana was great and then I didn’t feel the need to add maple syrup or agave. I’m not a fan of the protein powder taste so skipped it but the breakfast was still delicious. Also added some cinnamon.

57 Jaime November 22, 2013

What is your intragram username? I can’t find you on there.

58 Julie November 22, 2013

I was in Sedona last weekend, perhaps our paths just crossed- I know exactly where that picture was taken! Sedona is truly beautiful.

Thank you so much for all you do! I love your recipes— your blog is always my “go to” when Im planning meals!

Thanks!
Julie (from Phoenix)

59 Keri November 22, 2013

Beautiful pictures! Looks like an awesome hike with killer views at the end! I’ve missed SunWarrior protein powder while being pregnant. It was my favorite kind, but I wasn’t able to find one that didn’t use hemp protein, and the research I found was so mixed about safety. I’ve only had it a few times & it used to be a weekly staple for me! Thanks for the granola tip–I haven’t tried Elizabeth’s, and granola has been a huge craving for me these days :)

60 Micha @ blissful bites November 22, 2013

haha I actually just sat down with a bowl of that blueberry hemp granola when I went to read this post! what a coincidence :) I never used to eat store-bought granola but once I discovered purely elizabeth and saw what awesome ingredients it’s made of… I’ve been hooked. I love all their flavors, especially the pumpkin-fig. But it sure is hard not to eat the whole bag in one day!!
I’ve never added protein powder to my overnight oats, so thanks for the idea : )

61 Maria November 23, 2013

I love the breakfast idea and I REALLY LOVE the last picture! How amazing!
Maria
musicteachingandparenting.com

62 Aqilah November 23, 2013

Have always been a fan of oats. This looks yummy! Am sure to give it a try! :)

63 Barbara November 23, 2013

We ordered the Elizabeth granola in 3 flavors from Amazon. Oh my, they are all so delicious. We have to ration them b/c we could eat them all up too fast. Thanks for the info. We had never heard of that brand before.

64 amy wwebster November 25, 2013

hi angela! i am eating a bowl of these overnight oats right now before I go to the gym. Thanks for the recipe! I was getting bored of smoothies. By the way… after starting with S.A.N. Raw Fusion vegan protein powder ( I didn’t like the fake vanilla taste) I have settled on Garden of Life Raw Protein ‘Beyond Organic Formula’ (whew what a title!) It isn’t flavoured so I don’t find it as noticeable. I got it at a health food store here in Toronto so if you see it around Oakville give it a try! :) ( or anyone else in Ontario/GTA)

65 Ashley Sewall November 25, 2013

Stupid question….do you cook the mixture or eat cold? Sounds awesome by the way!

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2013

I eat it cold :) But I assume you could heat it if desired!

67 Lorin November 27, 2013

Is that bell rock in Sedona? I went there for Thanksgiving about 9 years ago. I love Sedona. We also did the Pink Jeep Tours.

68 MindBodyPlate December 7, 2013

I love Purely Elizabeth granola! Full disclosure: I’m actually eating the cranberry pecan flavor RIGHT NOW as I type this LOL. She’s a fellow graduate of the Institute for Integrative Nutrition… her story is so inspiring! The Whole Foods stores here in NYC are carrying it now, so hopefully we’ll see it elsewhere soon enough. Still, I’m very excited for your homemade version – I’m sure you’ll hit it out of the park!