Things I’m Loving Lately – November Edition!

cinnamon   Things I’m Loving Lately – November Edition!

1. Saigon Cinnamon

Last month I tried my first jar of Saigon cinnamon, and as you can probably tell, I really enjoyed it! Saigon cinnamon is stronger and more fragrant than traditional Ceylon cinnamon, so I find a little bit goes a long way. I just need to find it in bulk because these tiny jars were clearly not made for cinnamon addicts like myself.

[edited to add: Many of you said you can find Saigon cinnamon in bulk at Costco!]

2. Sauerkraut

Where have you been all my life? Can you believe this month was the first time I tried sauerkraut? For those who aren’t familiar, Sauerkraut is finely chopped fermented cabbage. Due to the fermentation process, it’s filled with healthy bacteria for a happy gut. I really wasn’t expecting to love it as much as I did, but friends, it’s absolutely fabulous. I’m putting it on toasted sandwiches, veggie burgers, wraps, salads, and more. You know what comes next…making my own! I hear it’s pretty easy.

chickpeamagazine   Things I’m Loving Lately – November Edition!

[photo via Chickpea Magazine]

3. Chickpea Magazine

I recently had the honour of being interviewed by the lovely Amanda Aldinger for Chickpea Magazine in this quarter’s Winter 2013 issue! Chickpea magazine is a whole foods, plant-based, 100% vegan magazine available in digital and print copies. Anyone who is familiar with this magazine knows the high quality content and photographs in each and every issue. I’m constantly in awe of the work they do and I couldn’t be happier to be featured. Thanks again to the entire team at Chickpea Magazine!

TGIOM POSTER   Things I’m Loving Lately – November Edition!

4. The Ghosts In Our Machine

I recently participated in a pre-screening of a new animal liberation documentary called The Ghosts In Our Machine (released this month!) which “illuminates the lives of individual animals living within and rescued from the machine of our modern world”. The documentary features the talented, inspiring, and courageous Jo-Anne McArthur, who is an award-winning Canadian photojournalist documenting the plight of animals in factory farms, the mink fur trade, animal lab testing, marine parks, and zoos across all 7 continents. Jo-Anne says her mission in life is to raise awareness about animal issues and to photograph the predicament that animals are in because of humans.

“I truly believe that it’s innate that we’re all compassionate and that if we are given the opportunity to care, we will.” ~ Jo-Anne McArthur

I can’t tell you the profound impact this documentary has had on me. I’ve watched it twice now and I’m telling everyone to go see it as soon as possible. To locate a screening in your area (or to request a screening!), see this page. You can view the trailer below:

Well, this is getting long so I think I’ll end on this note today. Hoping you take a moment today to remember those who gave their lives for this beautiful country. xo

Johnmccraememorialbookcloseup02   Things I’m Loving Lately – November Edition!

[photo via Wikipedia under the Creative Commons license.]

Kristen November 11, 2013

Costco has Saigon cinnamon! Its not organic, but its a HUGE container, for about $5.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2013

Cool, thanks for the tip! I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for it.

Katie November 11, 2013

Oh man, I love that Bubbie’s sauerkraut. I go through a jar every couple of weeks on my own — I love using it instead of salad dressing on top of salad. It gives it just enough zip when mixed in to be the perfect topping. I also like a little on top of some avocado toast! :-)

Silvia G. November 11, 2013

Thank you for sharing about “the Ghosts in our machine”. I cried just by watching the trailer. I have to watch this.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2013

Have some tissues nearby – it’s heart-breaking, yet inspiring all at the same time.

janae @ bring joy November 11, 2013

Angela, weird question–I thought you were Canadian? Or Canadian living in the US? I just wondered because of the last thought, which is an American holiday (or do Candians also celebrate it?).

I too love that brand of sauerkraut–just wish is wasn’t so expensive. My kids LOVE it too–funny, huh? I’ve found with kids, you just never know what they’re going to love..or hate.

Cara November 11, 2013

Nov. 11 was the end of WWI–Canadians celebrate, too.

Angela November 11, 2013

Yes- it’s Remembrance Day here in Canada today!

That’s so great your kids love sauerkraut. who knew?

janae @ bring joy November 11, 2013

My kids also LOVE nori seaweed. My husband thinks it’s the weirdest thing in the whole world :)

LeeAnn November 11, 2013

That got me wondering how many other countries mark November 11:
“Britain, France, Australia and Canada also commemorate the veterans of World Wars I and II on or near November 11th, according to the History Channel. Canada has Remembrance Day, while Britain has Remembrance Sunday (the second Sunday of November). In Europe, it is common to observe two minutes of silence at 11 a.m. every November 11.”

Emily - It Comes Naturally Blog November 12, 2013

In Britain we observe both: the 11th November, AND the Sunday nearest to the 11th.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 11, 2013

Ange, you’ve got to get yourself to Costco!! Their Saigon cinnamon is my all time fave and it comes in a Costco-sized container for like $4!! I go through heaps of it and love its spiciness… I’ve yet to find anything that compares. Congratulations on the magazine interview! That’s a new one to me but I’m going to check it out now. Happy Monday!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 11, 2013

Lol just read the first comment – guess I’m not the only one!

Angela November 11, 2013

How did I miss this at Costco? Will have to get some next time I’m there.

Abby @ Change of Pace November 11, 2013

Thanks for the cinnamon tip! I’ll have to check it out since I’m a huge cinnamon fan!!
I haven’t had sauerkraut in a few years, but my grandma used to make the absolute BEST! Homemade always beats store bought!

Robert H November 11, 2013

Not all sauerkraut is created equal. I too became a fan when I first tried Bubbies Sauerkraut. It’s a bit pricy, so I tried a less expensive alternative. After a couple forkfulls, it ended up going down the drain. If you’re just getting started, I’d suggest spending the extra $$$ on the Bubbies.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2013

That’s interesting…I would’ve assumed they were all basically the same! Thanks for the heads up. Have you ever made your own?

Robert H November 11, 2013

It was a flavor preference thing for me… like soy chorizo! I’ve thought about making my own, but the value proposition of just buying it won out. :-)

Ruth November 14, 2013

I grew up with home made sauerkraut. I prefer the store bought. :-)

Cassie November 11, 2013

I have been buying Saigon cinnamon without even knowing lately… it is MUCH stronger, I agree. I accidentally have dumped too much in my oatmeal… we buy ours at Costco!

Also haven’t thought about saukerkraut lately but have been hearing SO many good things. I always like it when I have it – I should just buy/make it more often!

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate November 11, 2013

I have never tried Saigon cinnamon, I am going to have to look for it!

Casey F November 11, 2013

The best cinnamon of all time, and available in bulk is from Penzy’s Spices: http://www.penzeys.com/. It may be a little more money but oh so delicious.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2013

Good to know! Thanks

Ali November 12, 2013

Hah-I accidentally just commented the same below! Penzey’s is a local company for me – their spices are AMAZING. Grocery store spices don’t compare.

Denise Amos November 14, 2013

I agree with the thumbs up for Penzeys spices! I have been using their Vietnamese Cinnamon for years. MUCH better! I find everything I make that I add one of Penzeys spices to is much better. They are fresh, economical, and make everything better!!

Shel@PeachyPalate November 11, 2013

I’m a huge sauerkraut fan…again only in the last couple of months! Another food my mum convinced me was horrible and I LOVE it! Here’s a good post on how to make it! http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-easy-homemade-sauerkraut-in-a-mason-jar-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193124

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} November 11, 2013

Isn’t saigon cinnamon the best? I can’t ever go back to the regular ceylon kind now. And also yes to Sauerkraut being unexpectedly yummy! Definitely make some, because I would love a good bacon-less Sauerkraut recipe!

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green November 11, 2013

I love Saigon cinnamon!! I also buy mine in bulk at Costco – it is such a great price!

BerryBloomXO November 11, 2013

Chick Pea magazine sounds like the coolest magazine ever!
Great Post!
xoxo

berrybloomxo.blogspot.co.uk

Abby@TheFrostedVegan November 11, 2013

I can’t wait to get a hold of Chickpea magazine! Also, I adore that cinnamon!

Emma (This Kind Choice) November 11, 2013

Chickpea magazine looks awesome, and I love that you can get it digitally too :)!

Kathy Pettit November 11, 2013

Here’s a great use for sauerkraut: Hummus, Avocado and Sauerkraut Sandwiches! It sounds crazy and it is: crazy good! Also, mix it with guacamole for a surprisingly good dip. and the secret to good sauerkraut is to buy the kind without vinegar, the naturally fermented kind like Bubbies and Hawthorne Valley are far superior to the blah salty canned varieties. Loe your blog!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2013

how did you know I’ve been making hummus, avocado, and sauerkraut toasted sandwiches? Maybe the best thing ever! hah

Lisa November 11, 2013

I just tried sauerkraut for the first time this year too! A local vegan restaurant in Cincinnati has a tempeh reuben sandwich with a locally made sauerkraut. Sooo good!

Angela November 11, 2013

Sauerkraut is awesome! I’m from Holland and it’s a typical winter staple here. You can buy it all year round but we mostly eat it when the weather is getting colder. Just a few more weeks until sauerkraut season and I can’t wait! (yes I could totally eat it now but it just wouldn’t feel right).

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! November 11, 2013

Wow I need to see that documentary! Looks so intriguing! Thank you for sharing.

Me November 11, 2013

I LOVE Bubbies!
Glad you mentioned the film Ghost In The Machine. Breaks my heart, but this kind of conversation is so illuminating, because it helps spread awareness between people. So so glad you brought it to our collective attention.

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen November 11, 2013

I just tried sauerkraut for the first time this summer too – and it was actually that brand I tried. I loved it! I made my own a month or two ago and it was seriously so easy.

Amey November 11, 2013

I only fell for sauerkraut a year or so ago, and I love it so much. We have a really great artisinal sauerkraut company at our local farmers markets, so that’s where I get it. SO delicious!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health November 11, 2013

I love sauerkraut too! I used to eat it on reuben sandwiches all the time when I ate meat so I haven’t had it in a long time but it’s so good.

I’m always intrigued by documentaries that raise awareness to the food industry so I’ll definitely be looking in that one. Thanks for sharing!

Alex @ Kenzie Life November 12, 2013

I love sauerkraut and grew up eating it. My mom is Romanian so cabbage and sauerkraut were staples in our house. I often felt like the girl from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, though I did get “normal” American food just as often. Congrats on being named to the 50 bloggers making a difference list!

Kathryn November 12, 2013

We have some raw sauerkraut from Sonoma county down here and it is to die for. Check out the different varieties in the cold section at WFM next time you are there. So many awesome flavors. DELISH!

Stefanie November 12, 2013

Hi Ange!
Haha, sauerkraut actually is a typical German food (I am German) which has a long tradition – it was very cheap back in the years after World War II. However, in Germany it is typically served (cooked beyond recognition) with pork or sausages and mashed potatoes. Yikes…
I do like raw sauerkraut as a salad. Just mix it up with fresh pineapple chunks, finely sliced red onions and diced red peppers. Add salt, black pepper and agave to taste and enjoy!
Love,
Stefanie

Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen November 12, 2013

I love cinnamon and also put it on everything!! I can’t wait to try this “Saigon” version! I’ve never heard of it before!
I was in Flanders a few weeks ago and walking near the grave sites of all the fallen soldiers in Flanders Fields gets me every time <3

Emily - It Comes Naturally Blog November 12, 2013

You’ve got to watch for pasteurized and unpasteurized sauerkraut – some has live bacteria in it (great) but some of it has had the goodness zapped right out. It’s great to make your own so you know you are getting the lovely nutritious bacteria :-)

Jen November 12, 2013

Anyone who is interested in making their own saurkraut should look up Summer Bock. She’s owns a saurkraut company in Olympia WA called Olykraut, and it’s amazing. She does classes online and in person. Intact this week she’s having a gut rebuilding conference that you can listen in on all about fermented foods and there health benefits, I hope you enjoy! And thanks for all the great recipes!

Ali November 12, 2013

If you are a cinnamon addict (like myself!), you MUST try Vietnamese cinnamon! I get it at Penzey’s (not sure if they are outside the US or not – they make their products less than an hour from my house here in WI – but I think you can order online). A little goes a long way but it is by far the best cinnamon I’ve ever had and I am super picky!

Funny enough – I grew up in an entirely German family in a community that was about 90% German heritage and I HATE sauerkraut. I can’t even handle the smell! Now, spaetzle, beer, brats, and german dumplings are what I dream about but can’t eat (Celiac and don’t eat red meat/pork). I’m out of place at family reunions. :)

Maggie November 12, 2013

Wow, this entry had a lot of powerful stuff I will be using. I will definitely find a screening of the movie you mentioned and sign up for chickpea magazine!

I love sauerkraut! Thanks for the reminder, it’s been awhile!

Tracy November 12, 2013

Angela,

You have to try Vietnamese cinnamon. I think it is soooo much better than Saigon or Ceylon. They recently stopped selling it at Wholefoods but I found it at Vitacost. Let me know what you think.

Eve November 12, 2013

Saigon is the largest city in Vietnam. ;-)

Tracy November 14, 2013

I know that:) but for some reason the cinnamon labeled “Vietnamese” tastes different than “Saigon.” Not sure why

Louise November 12, 2013

Sauerkraut is fantastic! I make a vegan reuban with tempeh with it that Is deeelicious! And thank you for the words and trailer on “Ghost in the Machine”. I don’t often send emails to friends and family on this topic, but I plan to on this film. It’s so true, most people would show compassion and pull over to rescue say an injured cat, dog, or bird. It’s sad that so many of these people don’t see, don’t want to see, or understand the horrific abuses and torture of animals they are supporting by eating animals and products of animals on a daily basis.

Brittany M November 12, 2013

I almost just fell out of my chair! I work for the company that has produced all of the past Chickpea magazines! I personally printed and made thousands of them. Sadly we no longer work with them but I’m still thrilled to see the magazine on your blog! They have wonderful recipes and photography.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2013

Small world heh :) Their stuff is ammmmazing

Ting November 12, 2013

I bought the Fall 2013 issue of Chickpea Magazine and I loved it! I will definitely buy the Winter issue, I would love to see your interview :)

Keri November 12, 2013

I love when you do your “What I’m Loving Lately” posts. Always fun to see what new, fabulous finds are out there that I have yet to try-never heard of Saigon cinnamon! I’ve had a kraut obsession for a while. And kimchee! Mmmmmm. Thanks for sharing!

Tania November 12, 2013

I love Saigon Cinnamon- I got mine from Costco in bulk! :) What DOESN’T go with cinnamon?! :)

Sabine November 12, 2013

Not sure about this but in germany there was a big scandal because of unhealthy cinnamon a few year ago. We like to eat “zimtsterne“ (=cinnamon stars) in winter time which are full of cinnamon. And the amount of coumarin,which can cause liver problems, is much higher in asian cinnamon/cheap cinnamon than in the Ceylon one. That`s why zimsterne are made from Ceylon cinnamon only since a few years and there where warnings about not eating more than 3 a day and stuff like that.don`t know about the Saigon cinnamon because i have never heard of it, but maybe you`d like to check it, since you like like it so much ;)
Hope it isn`t the “bad“ one so you can enjoy it as often as you like!

Krystle November 12, 2013

Oh. my. gosh. I love sauerkraut. I often base entire meals around whether or not I can put sauerkraut on things. Sometimes… I just eat it right out of the jar. It’s a serious thing we have, sauerkraut and I…

Ahhh…