12 Things I’m Loving Lately: The OMG, it’s October Edition

vscocam 1377729980.415269.IMG 00801   12 Things I’m Loving Lately: The OMG, it’s October Edition

It’s that time once again! Here some things I’m loving lately.

1 + 2. Current Fav. Snacks

Honeycrisp or Gala apple sliced up and drizzled with raw almond butter and cinnamon or a semi-frozen banana (peel and stick in the freezer for about 45 minutes to chill) drizzled with sunflower seed butter, chia seeds, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Absolute bliss! I’m already excited for my snack today…

snack   12 Things I’m Loving Lately: The OMG, it’s October Edition

3 + 4. Himalayan Pink Mountain Salt & Vegetable Broth Powder

I’ve never been one for “fancy” salts, but this pink salt definitely won me over when I picked it up many moons ago. My go-to salt is iodized fine grain sea salt, but I’ve incorporated this pink salt too. It’s so flavourful (seriously, you have to try it to believe it) and contains several trace minerals. I use it for seasoning mostly, but I also use it in some baking recipes occasionally too, just to mix things up.

Not only are broth cartons much more expensive than the bouillon cubes or powder, but they create a lot of waste. I finally ditched the cartons earlier this year in favour of vegetable broth powder. The cost savings are HUGE. I estimated this container will make about 20 litres (edit: 10 litres) of broth and it lasts forever. Given that this container is less than $5 a pop, I’m saving myself a ton of money. I really wish I made the switch sooner!

saltbroth1   12 Things I’m Loving Lately: The OMG, it’s October Edition

5. Photography hikes

Eric and I love going on summer photography hikes, but this year, we decided to challenge ourselves to go all fall and winter long, even when it’s blistery cold and gloomy outside. We’re committing to go once a week throughout the winter, inspired by my in-laws who recently formed a photography club. Bring on the one-piece snowsuit, I say! bahaha.

royalbotanicalgardenshamilton 1103   12 Things I’m Loving Lately: The OMG, it’s October Edition

[this shot was taken at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton, Ontario]

6 + 7. iphone + squash and sweet potatoes

iphone   12 Things I’m Loving Lately: The OMG, it’s October Edition

After a couple good years with my Android (Samsung Galaxy II), I finally made the switch to an iphone a few months ago. When Eric started developing our vegan recipe app we needed the iphone for testing purposes. Well, little did I know that I would fall crazy in love with this phone! Now, I can’t imagine myself without one. Funny how things can change so fast.

My favourite app (next to Instagram!) is the VSCO cam app for editing photos (thanks to Dana for the tip!). Here is a shot I took of Sketchie with some light editing in vsco cam. I love all the different filter options you can download.

sketchie   12 Things I’m Loving Lately: The OMG, it’s October Edition

[For a cute story about this pic, see my Instagram upload]

Also, squash + sweet potatoes. I’m hoarding them. Seriously. I can’t walk past a pumpkin pie squash in the grocery store and not buy one.

8. HOCKEY SEASON! Obsessed. We finally ordered Leafs TV this year and I’m so darn excited to be able to watch all the games. If the pre-season craziness is any indication of what’s to come, this could be one wild year.

9. The Social. Have you seen this new Canadian talk show on CTV? I’m not a big talk show person, but I love this new show. Melissa, Cynthia, Lainey, Traci always have me laughing and I love the current topics/social media interaction from a Canadian perspective. Two thumbs up!

10. National Kale Day

Did you know today is National Kale Day? Exciting! I celebrated last night and I plan on celebrating again today. Show that kale some lovin’.

11. For the animals: Today is also the World Day for Farmed Animals! So many exciting things on October 2nd. It’s also the last day of the What Did U Do? Farm Sanctuary fundraiser (see my post here). Thank you so much for your support. We’ve raised over $2500 together (and the fundraiser itself has raised over $41,000!). Truly amazing. I’ll be announcing the winner of the draw for my cookbook very soon.

a9889fe45c2ac1f64c0c498b66826cd7   12 Things I’m Loving Lately: The OMG, it’s October Edition

12. Blast from the past: All Natural Homemade Pumpkin Butter from Scratch

I made my first batch of the season last weekend. I froze half the batch for later so I’ll have some for later in the month. Yes and yes.

Ok, that’s all she wrote. Time to start a new list on the side of the fridge. Tell me what things you’re loving lately? I need to know.

Until next time!

xo

Ali @ Inspiralized October 2, 2013

I love this post – it’s really getting me excited for the fall, all this talk of pumpkin butters! Love this roundup, thanks for sharing.

suzanne October 2, 2013

I love these posts. Your photography skills are amazing – I would love to get into it more and have good photos – mine just capture the moment but are SO basic. I also am lacking in tech skills & am having computer problems so printing etc is not even doable. Ugh!
I hear you on the squash and pumpkins etc – I cannot get enough and have been buying so much produce on top of our CSA delivery – I can hardly keep up with eating it all ! Though with this warm weather, i am having one last ‘summer meal ‘ tonight with my in-laws – corn, black bean burgers, salad, asparagus and a blueberry apple crisp! mmmm – hope it all comes together well!

Angela October 2, 2013

That summer meal sounds perfect this week! It’s so warm out.
Thanks for your kind words about the photography by the way!

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon October 2, 2013

You are so right about the vegetable broth- it ends up being so expensive! Thanks for all the good ideas like always, I love your posts like these!

Becki @ Bites 'n Brews October 2, 2013

I’m definitely going to need to make that pumpkin butter this year. And, I can’t wait for the Thanksgiving roundup! Your cranberry sauce is the hit of the day!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy! October 2, 2013

I love that powedered veggie broth! I don’t find it too overly salty, and it’s organic to boot!

Julia Kent @ The Domestic Blonde October 2, 2013

I love The Social too Angela! I was on it on Sept 16th as their book club expert.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2013

omg! I saw that episode – congrats! You were fantastic =) what a thrill that must have been! I just saw your recap on your blog too, it looked like so much fun.

Tammy Root October 2, 2013

Just donated to your cause! Somehow I missed this before. As you know I am strong supporter of Farm Sanctuary. Thanks for doing this!

Angela October 2, 2013

Thanks so much Tammy! I hope you are well. :)

Janae @ bring joy October 2, 2013

Thanks for the vegetable broth powder recommend! I’m always looking at ways to save $$ & waste (& it’s cool it’s yeast free).

Love the pic of the spider web & how the light flows through.

Abby October 2, 2013

Yes to hockey season! The Wings drop the puck tonight, and even though I’m still 100 percent into baseball playoffs, it’s nice to know hockey is back. As for sunflower seed butter, it’s the only nut butter I eat and lately I’ve been going to town on it with just about everything–apples, grilled banana sandwiches, even carrots, oddly enough.

Angela October 2, 2013

I love it with carrots (and celery) too. So addictive!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health October 2, 2013

How exciting that you’re going to have an app! I love my iPhone too but I haven’t downloaded VSCO cam yet. I don’t know what I’m waiting for, it makes for beautiful pics.

And that’s awesome that you’ve raised 2500 dollars. It’s amazing the good things you’ve accomplished through this blog. Makes me proud to be a reader! :)

Anna @ Fitness à la Anna October 2, 2013

That is incredibly adorable that you guys go for photography hikes together – such an awesome idea!!

Emily - It comes naturally blog October 2, 2013

I hadn’t come across sunflower seed butter until I saw it on a blog – Kath Eats Real Food, I think – now it’s one of my favourites. Yours is a much prettier colour than mine though!

Barri October 2, 2013

Quite a few of my faves made the list, apples and almond butter, squash (recently tried and fell instantly in love with spaghetti squash), and I’ve been wanting to switch to Himalayan salt and bouillon for my broths, but what REALLY caught my eye was the pumpkin butter! Must. Attempt. ASAP!!! Great post, thanks so much for sharing!

Megan (The Lyons' Share) October 2, 2013

I can’t believe it’s National Kale Day and I didn’t know about it! I love food holidays, so I’ll have to celebrate :). I am completely with you on the apple + almond butter and cinnamon snack, and on hoarding squashes – I love them!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 2, 2013

I am SOOO glad honeycrisps are back in season! It’s like having a healthy dessert it’s so sweet. YUM! Speaking of yum…pumpkin butter!!! YAY October!

Rhona October 2, 2013

I’ve never heard of the Social but I am glad you did! I am all about supporting anything Canadian so I will hop on their twitter account now.

Meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles October 2, 2013

I am all psyched for hockey season too – but sorry, I am an Islanders fan.

Willow October 2, 2013

Love, love, and love! I think it’s so great that you and Eric enjoy photographing together… I keep trying to get my guy to realize that he is GREAT behind the lens, but he’s still a little put off by the technical side of things. Good luck going on your hikes through the winter! I’m sure it will be tough, but I bet you’ll get some great shots.

I, too, am madly in love with squash. I made a roasted butternut squash soup the other day that is disappearing way too quickly. Time for batch number two! :)

Chelsea @ BigBitesLittleBudget October 2, 2013

I love sliced bananas and apples with almond butter and pumpkin pie spice. It’s heavenly! Your fall and winter hiking idea is great. I quickly become a homebody when the weather gets cold. I like to stay snuggled under lots of blankets, but I miss out on the beauty that is seen this time of year. That is a great inspiration and something I think I might try to get out and do more.

Erin @ An Inside Job October 2, 2013

That pumpkin butter looks awesome!

I love all the pictures you can take; maybe one day I can get a camera like that too :) I’ve been having almond butter on apple slices for snacks at work lately and they are amazing!

Thanks for the fall inspiration!

Julie October 2, 2013

I love this! I always get so excited about fall, even though I live in FL and the seasons don’t even change. There’s just something about October that makes it feel like fall regardless :-) P.S. Absolutely love your photography skills.

April October 2, 2013

I think it would be a great idea if you posted a “squash for beginners” guide. There are so many different types and ways to use them that I don’t really know where to begin.

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan October 2, 2013

I am also infected with the squash disease! Why do I need another butternut when I already have one?Because they are so pretty and tasty, right?! Also, LOVE your photos, killer as usual : )

Melanie October 2, 2013

I was just raving about the Honeycrisp apples I got at our Farmer’s Market this past weekend – definitely on my loving list – and I have some nut butter in the cupboard that I’ll have to try right now! I’m also loving the Afterlight app for iPhone photo editing.

McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped October 2, 2013

I’m loving all of the above too, especially the favorite snacks! I’ve been in a food phase with bananas + almond butter and coconut shreds. That first picture by the way is beautiful!

Averie @ Averie Cooks October 2, 2013

I remember your pumpkin butter from last fall like it was yesterday. And welcome to the land of the iphone. Just started following you on IG! Isn’t it amazing how you fast you can fall in love with certain things …like phones! ha! :)

Sam Terri October 2, 2013

I have another snack for you..try rice cakes with tahini and honey or rice cakes with squashed banana and coconut flakes :-)

Stacy L. October 2, 2013

My 2 new favorites:

1. Organic Pepita Sun Seed Butter – http://www.naturallynutty.com/Unique_Seed_Butters-Organic_Pepita_Sun_Seed_Butter.html – INCREDIBLE!!

2. Desert Essencse Spicy Vanilla Chai Hand & Body Lotion – I checked out this brand after you posted about it awhile ago and fell in love with this scent.

Lindsey October 2, 2013

I love Pink Himalayan salt! It totally is flavorful. Surprisingly so sometimes. Also, hockey is the best sport and my team is kicking butt so far. SO PUMPED.

Julie October 2, 2013

Anything with nut butter is a win. I love apples warmed in the microwave with cinnamon as a quick snack.

Runner Girl Eats October 2, 2013

I’m loving all things squash, too. Seriously, I can’t get enough! I also love that it is almost boot weather aka the best weather.

Martha October 2, 2013

Ever tried making your own veggie broth? While I too have bouillon in my cupboard for emergencies, I’m trying to avoid more prepackaged processed foods. I was blown away by how simple and fast it is to make your own fresh broth!

My “cheap n’ lazy” method: I just save all of my clean vegetable scraps in a 1-gallon plastic bag in my freezer (ends of carrots, onions, celery, garlic, tomato, sweet potato, squash, whatever I chop up for dinner). When the bag is full, I dump it in a stock pot with water, add a few spices/herbs, simmer on the stove for 30-40 min and then strain into glass jars and store in the fridge (or freeze in baggies).

Presto, in a matter of minutes I have fresh healthy broth that makes all of my recipes taste even better – much more flavor depth than any pre-made broth! Plus, I can control the salt and don’t have to wonder about the source of the ingredients. And best of all…it’s free since I’m just using up my veg scraps that I would normally compost!

I try to make this on weekends so I have it on hand for busy weekdays (I love to use it in place of water when cooking grains). I wish I had known how easy – and better tasting – this method was earlier. So that’s why I’m sharing this tip on your blog! Keep up the good work!

Laura October 3, 2013

So I just realized I am a total idiot and that your bouillon says “yeast free”! If you can skip posting my first one that would be great! If not, can you see my blush??! Sorry! Still love your blog!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 4, 2013

haha don’t worry!! And thank you for pointing out that yeast extract is another name for MSG. I didn’t know that. I love this powder because it’s yeast free (and I think the only one I’ve been able to find!) Thanks for your kind words about my blog by the way.

Leslie October 2, 2013

I just bought my first delicata squash today after reading about it on this site. Can’t wait to try it tomorrow for dinner!

Beth October 2, 2013

Is that a Bengal cat?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2013

Yes he is! quite the crazy lil guy too.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 2, 2013

Oooh yes so many great things happening here! Thanks so much for the tip on the powdered broth. I hate the way the cartons take up SO much room in my recycle bin and fridge, so this sounds like a great alternative! Where did you buy the one you have?
And hikes…. sadly I didn’t get out on any this summer… *sigh*. I was actually just looking back on the ones we did last year and reminiscing at how much fun we had! That’s great to hear that you and Eric are going to keep at it. I bet the hikes have been beautiful lately with the changing seasons!
Like you, pumpkin, squash, apples and cinnamon are all some of my biggest loves right now. I’ve got some recipes lined up in my head for this weekend and can’t wait to test them out!

Kelli October 2, 2013

I am loving my veggie spiralizer that your blog inspired me to pick up! I spiralized a BEET today… it was glorious!

Rachel October 2, 2013

I’m loving Deglet Noor Dates! I take a few and dip them in raw almond butter (unsweetened) and then dip them in coconut flakes (also unsweetened) Then, I cut them up into small bite-size pieces and eat on top of apple slices, sprinkled with cinnamon. This makes for an excellent snack (especially if you’re craving a rich desert like I do around 2pm).

I’m also loving baked delicata squash (thanks for the baking tips by the way) then stuffed with quinoa, celery, mushrooms and onions sauteed in garlic! Excellent to bring in the cool fall weather….

Elizabeth October 2, 2013

I also love Himalayan pink salt! Pumpkin and squash… I look forward to squash season all year and I actually have a pumpkin and apple soup simmering as we speak! I also love my new living room ceiling and all of the beautiful fabrics I just ordered to go in my new room. (I don’t, however, love the hefty price tag of the fabrics and ceiling and paint and the million trips to the hardware store and sawdust on everything I own, including my cats… are you sure you miss renovations?) And my cats, always ;)

Erin @ The Grass Skirt October 2, 2013

Who knew there was a National Kale Day? I am also love honey crisp apples with almond butter. My mom and mother-in-law both went to the mountains in NC separately and brought some back for me. Needless to say, I’ve been eating them like crazy!

Lynn October 2, 2013

Well fall is here and you gotta love it!!! Time for snuggling up with a good book by the fire:) We have a walnut tree in our backyard I love that I will be having a fresh batch to store and eat!!! Also love all of the spaghetti squash that grew in our garden this year…….never had a crop like it before…..we probably have 3 dozen…WOW. Will be using your recipe for spaghetti squash and black beans:)

Page 1 of 212»