Lightened Up Raw Pecan Pumpkin Butter

rawpumpkinspicepecannutbutter-0389

I was recently asked in an interview how veganism has changed my life. Normally, questions like this bring out the best (worst?) of my indecisive nature, but this answer came to me quite easily. Veganism has changed my life in countless ways, but the one that stands out is how my love for animals has grown over the years. I’ve always been an animal lover as far back as I can remember, so looking back it’s not a big surprise that I eventually became a vegan. Geeze, I had a huge cow collection as a child for crying out loud. Seriously. A cow collection! Aside from loving animals, I have a sensitive nature and even though I’ve often viewed this trait with disdain over the years, I know for a fact that it’s shaped who I am and the choices I make. Not everyone is meant to have a thick skin.

As a little girl, I used to sit on the floor for hours with animals, rubbing their head or scratching their ears as they looked at me with their big, loving eyes. As someone who has been shy my whole life, animals comfort my soul. I feel secure around them and they love me unconditionally, often washing away any negative experiences I’m going through. Our first family dog – a scruffy, loving little mutt named Pepper – was unexpectedly taken from us when he was hit by a car one fateful day. I’d never felt such pain ripping through my heart, as I sat on the living room floor with my mom and sister unable to stop crying for hours. He was the dog that used to snuggle me and lick away my tears when I cried. He was always there at the front door when I got home from school wagging his little tail like crazy. Of course, he slept on my bed between my legs every night. Even though it wasn’t the most comfortable way to sleep, I couldn’t bring myself to move him.

Pepper

My initial reasons for switching to an animal-free diet were primarily motivated by health, but as I learned more about factory farming and the way animals are so often abused, it became much more than that. My passion for animal welfare has grown in so many ways. I value all walks of life, no matter how "insignificant" some living things may seem. I’ve always feared spiders and other insects, but I’m learning to overcome these fears and no longer feel the need to kill a bug in the house simply because it makes me uncomfortable. Everything has a purpose, a value, and a reason to live. Many people will scoff at this idea, but that doesn’t change how I want to live my life. So often as humans we feel it is our right to decide what lives and what dies, but I’m tired of that way of living. Maybe I can’t change the world, but I can do my own part. A vegan diet is simply the way I aligned what’s in my heart with the food on my plate.

rawpumpkinspicepecannutbutter-0435

rawpumpkinspicepecannutbutter-0419

Speaking of animal-friendly food, I have a great recipe for you today! In my mind, the only thing better than a crisp, in-season apple is having a nutty, pumpkin-y dip to go along with it. You too?

What’s even better, this dip doesn’t require a food processor or 10 minutes of processing like most nut butter recipes. Simply toss all the ingredients into a blender and blend away like you would a smoothie. How cool is that?

This dip is inspired by Brittany’s Raw Cinnamon Cashew Spread on We Heart Vegan. A raw nut butter made in the blender? Absolutely genius, I say. So you can credit Brittany for planting this seed in my mind. I thought a pecan + pumpkin + pumpkin spice mix would be especially appropriate this time of the year. With cooler temps over the past week, my boots and jeans finally made their first appearance. This was the perfect recipe to ring in the fall season! Well, fall is technically not for 5 days, but you know…a girl gets impatient sometimes.

rawpecanbutter

rawpumpkinspicepecannutbutter-0451

Lightened Up Raw Pecan Pumpkin Butter

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, soy-free

By

This lightened up, ultra-creamy raw nut butter is made with soaked pecans, pureed pumpkin, and a trio of pumpkin pie spices. It takes just 5 minutes to whip up and it's the perfect compliment to a fresh apple. Also try it on top of hot oatmeal, in a smoothie, or layered with vegan overnight oats. Recipe is inspired by Raw Cinnamon Cashew Spread on We Heart Vegan. Thanks Brittany!

Yield

• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2-3 tbsp maple syrup or other liquid sweetener, to taste

Directions:

1. Place pecans in a bowl and cover with water by a couple inches. Let pecans soak for a few hours. Drain and rinse the pecans well and then place in the blender.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients into the blender and blend on highest speed until the dip is smooth. Add sweetener to taste.
  3. Serve with apple or pear slices. Store leftover dip in an air-tight jar or container in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.

rawpumpkinspicepecannutbutter-0462

If you are looking for other jams, nut butters, and fruit butter recipes, you are in luck – I have a whole page of them! Bring on the apple and pumpkin butter.

1 Lauren @ The Highlands Life September 17, 2013

My husband and I are definitely not vegan but we are doing a modified version of the paleo diet so this butter would fit into our lives perfectly. Yum!

2 LindseyMM September 17, 2013

This was such a lovely post! I feel EXACTLY like you do — its crazy really! I became vegan for health reasons and since then I have become more concerned about animal welfare. I have seen this transformation on your blog as well! Thanks for the honest, heartfelt post as well as the awesome recipe!!! Much love!

3 Alanna September 17, 2013

“A vegan diet is simply the way I’ve aligned what’s in my heart with the food on my plate.” What a beautiful sentence.

4 Abby September 17, 2013

Do you happen to know the nutritional info? Looks like it wouldn’t be too crazy to eat a 1/4 cup, since its lightened up with pumpkin. Brilliant! And, pinned.

5 Esther October 18, 2013

Abby, I recently made this for Thanksgiving and ran the recipe through My Fitness Pal. It worked out to 25 calories and 2 grams of fat per tbsp. (based on a total finished product of about 3 cups).

6 Emily - It comes naturally blog September 17, 2013

Wow, now I know what I’m going to do with the opened can of pumpkin puree in my fridge…

7 Julie September 17, 2013

This looks absolutely amazing! I’m a huge animal lover too. I’m a fan of alllll things pumpkin and nut butter so I’ll be putting this on my to-make list for sure.

8 Amanda September 17, 2013

I loved this post. I’m the same way with animals, although I am still learning to co-exist (or at least not freak out) around spiders and other bugs.
Looking forward to trying your pecan pumpkin butter! I suppose it’s time to start hoarding those cans of pumpkin again. ;)

9 Kari@Loaves n Dishes September 17, 2013

Here in Florida the insects never die or go dormant so they grow to be abundant and ginormous…just sayin’ ; ) About that Pecan Pumpkin butter! I love that I can eat gobs of it because it’s got less fat…woo hoo!

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2013

Oh yes, I remember when I lived in FL as a child the creepy crawlers were everywhere! We used to have Palmetto bugs in the house. Terrifying. hah. I guess it’s all relative!

11 Ashley September 17, 2013

This looks SO wonderful. AND, as always, your photos are gorgeous. Way to go!

12 Amy September 17, 2013

It’s nice to hear you talk about your passion for animal welfare. I always enjoy your blog more when you add in the personal anecdotes, but I don’t believe you’ve touched on this much in the past and it was refreshing to read it. Thank you.

13 Nora September 17, 2013

Angela, this is beautiful and I especially love this part: “So often as humans we feel it is our right to decide what lives and what dies, but I’m tired of that way of living.” I’m tired of that way of living too. We not only decide what “non-human” creatures live or die, but humans too. A book I would recommend to you about our place in the world is called Straw Dogs by Jon Gray. I think you’d enjoy it and it will give you a whole new perspective on what being human is.

14 Greensoul September 17, 2013

“I’ve always feared spiders and other insects, but I’m learning to overcome these fears and no longer feel the need to kill a bug in the house simply because it makes me uncomfortable.”
I can absolutely relate to this. Although I will never really be a huge fan of spiders and other bugs, more and more I am trying to see them as useful cohabitants on this planet. And it´s not their fault that I do find them nasty! ;-)
This is indeed a development I have also made since becoming vegan.

By the way, I am a huge fan of your blog and your recipes. Keep them coming! :-)
Best greetings from Germany,
Dominique

15 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 17, 2013

Oh my goodness does this look wonderful! Perfect for dippin’ those honeycrisp apples waiting for me!

16 Christie September 17, 2013

“So often as humans we feel it is our right to decide what lives and what dies, but I’m tired of that way of living. Maybe I can’t change the world, but I can do my own part. A vegan diet is simply the way I aligned what’s in my heart with the food on my plate.” This is beautiful! So much so, that I wrote it down and posted it with my other affirmations at my desk. Love this recipe and love the blog! Thanks for always coming through with wonderful fall recipes! Your pumpkin brownie pie has become a staple and a tradition at our family’s Thanksgiving dinners.

17 McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped September 17, 2013

Wow, this looks so creamy and delicious! That color (*heart eyes*) is incredible Angela!

18 dishing up the dirt September 17, 2013

my husband and I are organic vegetable farmers. We don’t eat a completely vegan diet (our neighbor has goats and makes cheese!) but we try our hardest to eat locally, ethically, and sustainably. This was lovely post. Can’t wait to try this pecan butter!

19 Portland September 17, 2013

I’d love to know where I can buy raw, unroasted pecans. Any suggestions?

20 Leanne September 17, 2013

bulk section of a grocery store.

21 Brenda September 18, 2013

I buy my raw unroasted pecans at a small local health food store or a Meijer that is a chain store.

22 Eileen Summers September 17, 2013

what a lovely story and so inspiring. I hope to give this new a butter a try.

23 Anna September 17, 2013

I love the spoon! Thanks for posting this recipe :) I’m not vegan, but my boyfriend and I are switching to a healthier diet. We’re always looking for recipes that trick our taste buds into thinking they’re having dessert, and this looks like a protein-rich solution!

24 Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} September 17, 2013

I love the lighter-looking texture of this. Can’t wait to try!

25 Kym September 17, 2013

I wish I could get my thoughts across as eloquently as this! Lovely post, and I can’t wait to make this recipe :)

26 Sage Shelton September 17, 2013

Beautifully written post. I will definitely be trying this recipe in the next couple days!

27 Ashlee@HisnHers September 17, 2013

Mmm this would be a delicious french toast stuffer or pumpkin pancake topper!

28 Jessica Noelle Glitterpony September 17, 2013

What a sweet post. Thank you for sharing your feelings/thoughts on being vegan–I especially loved the part where you said “not everyone is meant to have a thick skin.” I had chickens growing up and when I’d have a crummy day at school, they’d be my go-to buddies. Thank you also for the great dip recipe! It will help usher in fall in this house! :)

29 erin @ An Inside Job September 17, 2013

This looks so good and how can you go wrong with pumpkin and nuts?

I just bought my first loaf of Ezekiel bread (mmm!) and I have been looking for things to spread on it. I’ve been meaning to try that bread for years now and finally bought a loaf. I’m adding this to my list of recipes to make for sure :)

30 Tonja R September 17, 2013

How beautiful “A vegan diet is simply the way I’ve aligned what’s in my heart with the food on my plate.”
I have tried many of your recipes and they have become family favorites, and following your website and also Vegan Outreach fb page and website have helped me align my heart with my food.
Thank You!

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2013

I’m so happy to hear that Tonja – thanks for reading!

32 Heidi Kokborg September 17, 2013

I feel like I can really relate to what you write about how veganism has changed your lie. I have always love animals, and I miss them when I don’t have them around. But since switching my diet to vegan my love for animals has grown even more! It is no longer “just” pets I care about, but also ever other animals on the planet. Animals deserve to be treated well, and I truly do not think that they are ours to eat.

And I can’t wait to make the pecan-pumpkin butter. It looks so good, and just perfect for fall.

33 Christine @ Gotta Eat Green September 17, 2013

You continue to amaze me with these recipes! This butter looks incredible.. and so easy! It would be so yummy on some fresh vegan biscuits!

34 Jenny September 17, 2013

That was a beautiful post Ange, you summed it up in such a moving way. Eating animals is definitely not for me, and there is nothing better than coming home to a waggy dog tail!!

35 Maria Tadic September 17, 2013

Pumpkin stuff is always a favorite! I love that this is so healthy but looks so good. Ill definitely be making this, this weekend!

36 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health September 17, 2013

Oh, Angela. This is why I love you. I can completely relate to your love for animals and that is exactly why I chose to become a vegetarian. We are smarter and stronger than animals which allows us the ability to decide their fate, but we should use our power to be kind. I love that you wrote everything has a purpose. So beautiful and true. I have a hard time killing spiders now and my house is currently filled with them! Haha.

This pumpkin butter sounds perfect for fall! You could have sold this in your OSG bakery.

37 Lulu September 17, 2013

What a beautiful relationship you have with food and animals :) and good really should keep you grounded and appreciative of your health and comfort :) this is the kind of compassionate relationship I need to develop with food and life.

By the way, where can I get that apple slicer thingy?? Looks awesome!!

38 allie September 17, 2013

oh my goodness! We had the exact same dog. Mine was Scotty. I looked at that picture of your dog and couldn’t believe it! He was a great dog. WE had him for 19 years. 19!!!!! I too was always an animal lover and scared for life when at 7 my dad took me hunting. Sigh.

39 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 17, 2013

Oh you can bet that I most definitely will be making this! I love that you added chia seeds to the mix. I haven’t really made my own nut butter before (despite having very strong intentions to each time I see one of the recipes you’ve come up with!) but this fall it’s going to happen!

40 Melissa September 17, 2013

Angela, is the chia whole or ground?

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2013

It’s whole :)

42 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 17, 2013

I always love this time of year because of all these wonderful pumpkin recipes. This pumpkin butter sounds amazing!

43 jodye @ whole pure recipes September 17, 2013

This sounds so lovely, Angela! It’s like fall blended into a bowl of creamy deliciousness! I love pecans and pumpkin together, and the more I can eat of it, the better!

44 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan September 17, 2013

Your words are so so true! Sometimes I feel like animals just get me, and veganism is just another layer in caring for them. Also, the butter= falltastic!

45 Mandie Marie @ The Fruitful Turtle September 17, 2013

I love pumpkin butter, but PECAN pumpkin is even better…I’m having a food swap party in October and this would be the perfect thing to bring in little halloween mason jars :)

46 Stephanie September 17, 2013

This is one of the best post I’ve read in your blog, the recipe is great but your thoughts about animal welfare are touching. I loved “Everything has a purpose, a value, and a reason to live.”
Just wonderful!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2013

Aw thank you, that means a lot! :)

48 suzanne September 17, 2013

yum! this is on my list for this weekend! I hope my kids like it and it can be something fun to take in their lunches!

49 suzanne September 17, 2013

btw – I can relate to the animal love thing – vegan/vegetarianism did not start out for that reason with me – but has become more prominent as the time has gone by.

50 Marissa@ohhhsolovely September 17, 2013

this looks so delicious and i’m loving all the pumpkin i’m seeing featured recently!

51 Paulina September 17, 2013

I love what you have to say about being vegan in the beginning. I get scoffed at frequently by my friends for being Vegan and like you I started for purely health reasons but as I changed my diet to exclude any animal products my love for all living things grew as well. I try to explain it to people this way, “Why as humans did we take it upon ourselves to domesticate some animals; dogs, cats some birds etc? We stick up for the rights of these animals and thinking of them being euthanized or killed breaks our hearts and yet other animals are bred to be abused, beaten and eventually slaughtered and yet we are perfectly content with that?” Love your recipes, can’t wait to try out this one :)

52 Elyse @ Lizzie Fit September 17, 2013

Wow I love your choice of words for how veganism shapes your life. I recently transition to a meat-free diet in January which was followed by many more small changes leading me closer to a vegan lifestyle. Vegan is a tough subject because I feel like people judge me just for speaking the word but I’m learning that I care more about higher values than a stranger’s opinion. I will never be perfect but I am doing the best I can to limit suffering of any kind to any being :)

53 Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina September 17, 2013

I love pecan anything and this looks so yummy! Amazing photography too!

54 BerryBloomXO September 17, 2013

The “intro” story absolutely warmed my heart – I got so lost and drawn in that I completely forgot that this post was a recipe for pumpkin nut butter!
If you wrote a book, I’d surely read it!
Absolutely lovely!

xoxo,

berrybloomxo.blogspot.com

55 Christina @ The Beautiful Balance September 17, 2013

I can not get enough of pumpkin related anything and this pumpkin butter is no different! I definitely see myself stock piling this for the winter ;)

56 ginger September 17, 2013

I became a vegetarian 14 years ago because I like animals and don’t want to eat them. I’m slowly but surely veering into vegan territory – I would probably be ok with milk and eggs from animals that I know (and know are loved and humanely treated), but that’s not really available to me, and supermarket organic dairy/eggs are produced in a way that makes me nervous at best.
Love your blog and recipes. We had the big salad last night! Omitted garlic and water from the dressing. It was amaazingggg.

57 Lori September 17, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing. It was like reading my own words on the page (except my childhood furry companions were cats). :) Can’t wait to try the recipe! I love your blog so much and am constantly telling people about it. Seriously, all the time! Thanks for being you!

58 Goldie Shinewald September 17, 2013

I am allergic to chia seeds could I use flax seeds instead?

59 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 17, 2013

Omg that looks insanely good!!! Pinned!

I could devour most of the jar. I just made a big batch of nut and seed butter a couple days ago – good thing I don’t mind cardio. Been going a little overboard with it. LOL

Yours would be inhaled!

60 Lindsay at Kitchen Operas September 17, 2013

Ohhhhh this is just what I need — I’ve pinned it, thanks for the recipe!

61 char eats greens September 17, 2013

Mmm mmmm!!! Bring on the pumpkin loving!!!

62 Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables September 17, 2013

This looks like a healthier version of what would happen if pecan and pumpkin pies had a baby–I like it!

63 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 17, 2013

Mmmm I need to make this asap!

64 laura September 17, 2013

I love hearing about your vegan journey!
“A vegan diet is simply the way I aligned what’s in my heart with the food on my plate.”
I completely resonate with this. Thanks for your continuous inspiration :)

65 Stephanie September 17, 2013

WOW. What a great combo for a dip/nut butter! All of your #veganmofo recipes this month keep getting more fabulous and drool-worthy!

66 Krissy September 17, 2013

Such a beautiful post — beautiful words and a beautiful recipe. Thank you!

67 Kylie - FotV September 17, 2013

This sounds simple and delicious, a perfect party dip to impress your friends as well!

68 Katie September 17, 2013

Angela — I am a new visitor to your site and this was the very first post I read. It is blatantly clear that the humane treatment of animals can assist in one’s quest for a healthier lifestyle. I’m so glad others can be exposed to a lifestyle that omits any animal suffering through your blog. I know I’m trying harder everyday! And your recollection of Pepper’s memory left a huge lump in my throat that I must now hug my tabby and poodle. Thank you.

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2013

Thanks for your lovely comment Katie!

70 Jenn September 18, 2013

I already made this and had it with an apple for dessert – so delicious!! And it feels great to finally eat something that tastes like fall. On another note, as a huge football fan I have a recipe request if you feel inspired by it – buffalo cauliflower “wings.” But with your typical eye toward health of course! I found one recent recipe at alextcooks.com but it used white rice flour and I know you could make a healthier version!! Thanks in advance if this ends up on ohsheglows!

71 Alicia September 18, 2013

That was a really touching story and personal take on veganism. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

72 Erin @ The Nutritionista September 18, 2013

This looks so amazing! I bet it could easily be adapted to use steamed sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin for the pumpkin allergic among us (aka me) too.

73 Cara @ TheVeganBarbie September 18, 2013

Aligning your heart with the food on your plate…I love that. So true for me as well. And this recipe looks delicious! I’m in a phase right now where I have a banana with nut butter for dessert every night..this looks perfect for dessert!

74 Jamie @lifelovelemons September 18, 2013

YUM! This may need to happen in my kitchen, like, now.

75 Heather Williams September 18, 2013

I literally teared up when I read this. You took the words right out of my mouth about being vegan. I notice my compassion has increased times 1000 since being vegan- towards people, myself, nature and especially animals. The increased awareness brings out a part of you that you’ll otherwise never get to meet. Oh, and by the way this nut butter is totally awesome too<3 You're amazing as usual!!!

76 Leah September 18, 2013

Angela,
Your blog is always so honest & down to earth, this is
What keeps me coming back day after day. You can tell
You truly have & passion for what you do & it
Shines through your blog. :D

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2013

Thank you Leah! You are so sweet. :)

78 Brandy September 18, 2013

I feel like we have the same heart. I became a vegetarian when I was 12 because I loved animals too much to eat them : ) I go out of my way to save bugs and I feel I’m more sensitive to animal “issues” than many human ones. Oh, and I also have a minor obsession with cows, haha. Thanks for this post. I’ll definitely be trying this recipe asap!

79 Ramona September 18, 2013

“I have a sensitive nature and even though I’ve often viewed this trait with disdain over the years, I know for a fact that it’s shaped who I am and the choices I make. Not everyone is meant to have a thick skin.”

THANK YOU, this is exactly how I feel, but you’ve given it the words I couldn’t find.

Also, a lovely recipe, and I will make this!

80 Jennie @themessybakerblog September 18, 2013

This buttah is absolutely perfect. I can’t wait to give it a try. Your puppy is too cute.

81 Tammy Root September 18, 2013

Wow, Ange, this post is so amazing and heartfelt — you articulated exactly how I feel about animals too. So eloquently stated. I love it.

As an aside, I did not know you lived in FL. Do you know anything about Melbourne, FL? We are tossing around the idea of moving there. Just wondering if you have been there or know anything about it. :)

82 Traveling Cats September 18, 2013

I just fell in love with your blog and I’m now following along via Bloglovin. I love animals too, I’m a vegetarian, and I’m working on going 100% vegan.

83 Tania September 18, 2013

As soon as I read this recipe yesterday I knew I had to make it! I promptly soaked my pecans and had just finished scraping the blender when my kids got home from school. We all sat around eating apples and warm pecan pumpkin butter…so, so yummy!!! I couldn’t stop thinking about it and had two pieces of toast covered in pecan pumpkin butter last night before bed. Then, this morning, I made pumpkin pancakes and smeared on some more. Excellent recipe!!!

84 Jennifer September 18, 2013

Could I use cashews in place of the pecans? I have lots of cashews on hand.

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2013

Hey Jennifer, I can’t see why not as long as you like the flavour of cashews!

86 Kris S. September 18, 2013

I made this tonight and it was delicious!!! Once again, your recipe is amazing! You are really talented and I’m glad I found your blog. Can’t wait for the cookbook!

87 sarah@thesweetlife September 19, 2013

Every part of this recipe sounds amazing. I’ve been holding off on the pumpkin because i go so CRAZY in October for pumpkin, but perhaps it’s close enough to make some of this!

88 Abbey P. September 19, 2013

Angela this recipe is fantastic! I just finished making it, and have already had seconds within the past 25 minutes! Thank you for your recipes, beautiful photos, and kind words that remind us to connect with the world around us through our actions.

I posted the recipe to my blog here: thesonomalife.wordpress.com/2013/09/19/pumpkin-butter/ with credit to you of course. :)

Thank you again.

89 Chelsea @ BigBitesLittleBudget September 20, 2013

As a budding dietitian, I recently went vegan for a week so that I could gain some insight and decided to focus on vegan research and information for that week. It was eye opening. I have gone back to eating some animal products again, but not nearly as many as I was used to consuming. I feel better now than I did and I feel that the more I learn about the vegan diet, the more I lean in that direction. I am excited to learn more and see where this road leads!

90 Erin September 20, 2013

Beautiful post. As other readers have said, many of your recipes are my favorites. And this is a great one! Made this yesterday and enjoyed it on apple slices as suggested. Trying to think of other good uses for it! Maybe in a smoothie?

91 Emily September 20, 2013

Angela, my roommate and I literally just made this recipe, and are simply standing in our kitchen convinced dipping chopped apples and convinced its the best thing we have ever eaten. New autumn staple :) thanks for the recipe!

92 Katie September 20, 2013

Hi Angela,

This was such an inspiring post. I tell everyone, vegans and non-vegans about your recipes. Just made your guacamole tonight and it was delish! I have a question tho, in recipes like this should the coconut oil be melted and liquid or in solid form?

93 Caroline Arco September 20, 2013

Your recipes are always so sophisticated and creative but I still love when you write more with your sensitive nature. And I remember reading your story and a thin skin wouldn’t really fit you girl. You were brave enough to change many times, that’s hard job!
Congrats on putting together such a nice blog!
Cheers

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2013

I guess I never saw it that way, but thank you!

95 Kellie September 20, 2013

SO…we’ve been playing with nut butter and we made a soaked almond with coco powder. It was terrible! It tasted like soggy bread blended with chocolate. Did I do something wrong? I’m so nervous to blend my soaked nuts again! Love to snack on them…just not butter them.

So the pecans are ok?

Thanks, btw. I’ve LOVED all the recipes! I’ve even got my Dad (recent health nut) addicted to your site. :) Thanks for showing me that it can be done: eat healthy and deliciously!

96 Megha September 21, 2013

Hi Angela
I’m a big fan of yours and keep trying my hand at your recipes..
I’m from India and many of the ingredients aren’t that widely available here..
Also I live to make things on my own from scratch and hardly use packaged stuff
Like pureed punpkin isnt available here..Can u help me to make it
Also can u share the recipe for almond/peanut butters
Lots of love :) Megha

97 Kathleen September 21, 2013

Angela! Just made the Lightened Up Raw Pecan Pumpkin Butter, and it is delicious! My first nut butter, and it looks just like the picture. I so enjoy your blog, and have enjoyed your recipes for about a year, now. I have enough printed out to put together your cookbook! Many thanks, and be well!!

98 kayla September 21, 2013

We made it sans chia seeds and it was fabulous! So far I’ve had it with apples and on a rice cake, I’m going to put it in my oatmeal tomorrow morning. Thank you, Angela.

99 The Peace Patch September 21, 2013

Oh happy synchronicity! I was just about to make some pecan butter and I stumbled across the link to your recipe over at flora foodie! Thank you for sharing! :)

100 Riya@Sprout'd September 22, 2013

I am so excited for to start the fall season with this pecan pumpkin butter! It is DE-LICOUS!

I can sympathize with you, I remember when our family dog (half Pomeranian half poodle) was taken from us. I was devastated, animals really do just love you unconditionally and they are always so happy to see you :).

101 Laura September 22, 2013

This is delicious! I used it to make cinnamon buns a great treat dandelionwishesblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/week-38-the-great-pumpkin/

102 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2013

That’s a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

103 Christine September 22, 2013

Just wanted to say that this post (including the yummilicious recipe of course) is the best and most heartfelt thing I have ever read in the past few weeks. You got yourself a new fan!

104 kimthevegan www.rockmyvegansocks.vaskor.ca September 22, 2013

Thanks for sharing about your vegan journey. I feel like mine is similar.
Ooh that pumpkin pecan butter sounds awesome!

105 CatbirdFarm September 22, 2013

Made this recipe and it is insanely delicious and easy. I went slightly lighter on the sweetener and slightly heavier on the spices and I added 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves as well. It came out so creamy and flavorful.
It is so light and whipped in consistency that I was thinking it could stand in for cake frosting. Maybe a GF maple cupcake with pecan-pumpkin whipped butter “frosting”. How does that sound? :-)

106 pattti newby September 22, 2013

Try substituting sweet potato for pumpkin! Yum!

107 Jody September 22, 2013

Angela, your post actually brought me to tears. It is so nice (& comforting) to hear someone express EXACTLY as I feel when it comes to animals. My childhood dog was even named Pepper as well! Your words on respecting life, no matter what size or form, was so articulately put.

108 Meredith peirick September 23, 2013

I just made this and it taste divine! Made some vegan pumpkin bread to smear on it. My 2 year old loves it as well!! Thanks for the recipe :)

109 Alexina September 23, 2013

Just made this- it’s so good, I could just eat it plain!!

110 Richele September 23, 2013

I loved reading the story! And the pumpkin spread looks so delicious! Perfect time for fall :) Any other recommendations you have that this spread would taste great with?

111 megan September 23, 2013

have been reading your blog for a long time but just wanted to take a moment to tell you how much i enjoy it — your recipes, and your heartfelt commitment to this lifestyle and to the cause you believe in.

incidentally i did make this “butter” this past weekend (the only tweak i made was to add a little almond extract to amp up the nutty flavor) and have been enjoying it in parfaits, on waffles, as a topping for latte-flavored vegan ice cream, and with raw apples for the past couple days. another great recipe — very versatile and truly encapsulates what i think of as “fall” with its rich and warm flavors.

thank you for everything!

112 Erin September 23, 2013

Wow!! I just made this, only I substituted almonds for the pecans. Absolutely amazing, my kids and hubby couldn’t get enough! The only thing I disagree with is that you said it will last for 1-2 weeks in the fridge…I’ll be lucky if this lasts the night with how delicious it is, LOL!! :)

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2013

hah yea I know the feeling ;)

114 Alana September 23, 2013

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on being vegan, I am not vegan, but I always love to hear people’s reasons for their passions :) This butter made my mouth water!

115 Gabriele September 23, 2013

Angela, thank you, a million.
This is yummolo!!! I just made it and had it as a dip with farmers market apples, outstanding. I already layered it with vegan oats and sliced apples for breakfast…..alarm goes off at 5:00 am tomorrow :). Your recipes are fantastic.

116 Angela September 25, 2013

This was AMAZING! Unfortunately I just discovered this week that I’m allergic to pumpkin, seriously what is fall without pumpkin. So I was thinking of doing apples and walnuts instead of pumpkin. What do you think? How many apples do you think would be good and do you think I need to cook them?

117 Ceara September 25, 2013

This is amazing! I just made this and will be serving it with something pumpkin falafel I whipped up :) I did not add the coconut oil and used agave instead of maple syrup because that’s what I had on hand ! This is delicious! Beautiful post as well :)

118 Megan September 25, 2013

Angela, I must thank you for this amazing recipe! It turned out perfect and I’ve been putting it on everything lately . . . and just eating it by the spoonful. You are a genius!!!

119 Kristi Lamash September 25, 2013

I have been a devoted follower of your blog for quite awhile now, but I felt a need today to thank you for this wonderful post. My number one reason for leading a vegan lifestyle is animal welfare. Your words mirrored my thoughts exactly. The more people know about the atrocities of factory farming the better. If we keep spreading the word and the love, we will definitely change the world!

120 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2013

Thank you Kristi :) I’m so happy to hear you are enjoying my writing & blog. All my best!

121 Loriann Witte September 25, 2013

hare kṛṣṇa hare kṛṣṇa
kṛṣṇa kṛṣṇa hare hare
hare rāma hare rāma
rāma rāma hare hare

122 Virginie September 28, 2013

Thank you so much for this recipe! This is one of the best, I find! :) I’ve only just begun vegan recipes last year to switch up my diet sometimes and I always turn to your blog for healthier (and better) recipes!

123 Emily September 28, 2013

I’ve got raw walnuts and cashews to use up… Do you think I could sub one or both for the pecans? Looks mouth-watering!!

124 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2013

Cashews would probably be really nice…I’m not sure about walnuts as they are bitter (might need more sweetener to balance) good luck!

125 saffron September 29, 2013

Made this yesterday,unbelievably yummy! Gave a jar to a non-vegan friend who declared it was the best thing she’d tasted in evers. Thank you!

126 Lorna September 29, 2013

“As someone who has been shy my whole life, animals comfort my soul.”

Perfectly said. Thanks for a lovely post.

127 ann September 30, 2013

you have done it again! an incredibly tasty recipe. thank you thank you thank you!

128 Julie September 30, 2013

Angela
Could I substitute flax milk or even coconut milk for the almond milk (I have a sensitivity to almonds)
I’ve made the switch when making your otmeals and they have turned out delicous :)

129 Katrina C September 30, 2013

I love love love your recipes. I made this today and substituted cashews for the pecans and it came out so yummy. My family and I could live off of your recipes. Thank you!

130 Barbara October 2, 2013

This is a fantastic recipe. I put some in a smoothie this morning. Thanks!

131 Allie October 9, 2013

I’ve been following your blog for over a year now—it was actually the original Green Monster that got me to go vegan, basically on a whim! As you reflect above, it seems like the ethics of being a vegan evolve the longer you keep animal products out of your food.
Anyway, THIS recipe gave me the courage to finally post a comment. The texture is so light and creamy, almost whipped, and I like how it can be mild or dessert-y just by altering the very few ingredients in there. One of my favorites, for sure!

132 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2013

Hey Allie, Thanks for your comment! So glad you enjoy this recipe :)

133 Anastasia October 12, 2013

For easier cleanup, put your ingredients right in your bell or mason jar and screw it on the blender ring. Blend it right in the storage jar!

134 Deby October 13, 2013

This is sooooooooooo delish! Such a yummy treat – and so healthy! Love Love Love it!!!!
Thanks so much for sharing this one!
P.S. – I love your blog and your awesome recipes. You ROCK!!!

135 marie October 13, 2013

made this last night and took some to work for lunch today..LOVE it. it’s so perfectly light, sweet but not too sweet, pumpkiny but not too heavy. i had it with some graham crackers because i didn’t have time to slice apples and dip them in lemon juice, but i’ll be taking those tomorrow. thank you so much for the great recipe!

136 Esther October 18, 2013

I made this for Thanksgiving (Canada) dinner and served it with sliced apples. It was a huge hit with my entire family. I put it on the dinner table as an appetizer, but people continued to snack on it long after dinner was over…I was delighted to have to cut up more apples. :)

137 Robin October 22, 2013

Quick questions! Can I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk or should I be sure to use original unsweetened? Also, should the coconut oil be melted or solid? I cannot WAIT to try this once I restock my maple syrup supply!

138 Renate October 27, 2013

Just found your recipes..they look great. I eat cooked and raw foods but when serving my raw food friends I wondered if pumpkin purée is cooked?? I was gifted a heritage pumpkin and need to make the purée. Any suggestions as I am going to make your pumpkin pecan butter today. Thanks

139 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013
140 marquis @realrawkitchen December 11, 2013

oh my goodness, this looks amazing. I feel like I would put it on EVERYTHING! I’ll make it this weekend and let my husband enjoy pumpkin-pecan bliss :)

and I feel ya with the vegan transition. it’s crazy, once I eliminated animal products I found myself more drawn to peace and animals (prior to, I was NOT a fan of animals .. they mostly bothered me..). I’m still not a pet-owner because I think I’m too particular about things in my home, but I find myself incredibly more compassionate, to humans as well!! I swear, it’s a real thing when they say you become nicer when you go vegan :)

141 Melissa C January 9, 2014

Love your blog I am new to vegan cooking and have loved all of your recepies I have tried! Wondered if anyone has used homemade pumpkin puree for this recipe? I have something in the freezer I would live to use up but worry it may be too watery.

142 bob March 30, 2014

A few of the things you said in this well-written post resonated with me. Beautiful.

I made this butter tonight after blending roast pumpkin to make puree (I hate cleaning the blender more times than I need to!). I changed a few things ingredients due to dietary restrictions: I used almonds instead of pecans, and stevia instead of sweetener (and added a little extra mylk). I also omitted the oil since I’ve been reacting to coconut lately, but decided not to replace it. Next time I make it I think I will add some non-coconut oil, but this batch was delicious just the same. I think it ended up a little milder with almonds instead of pecans, but can’t say for sure. I can see this as a great addition to my quinoa porridge these next few months =).
Thanks for the lovely recipe, and for sharing a piece of your heart’s thoughts.

143 Brooke June 5, 2014

At first I was worried about using the entire batch, but this recipe was AMAZING! I wish I had doubled the recipe. Excellent with your Banana Oatmeal Muffin tops or hemp waffles. Thank you for all of your hard work!

144 kate white October 10, 2014

I saw on a post that you subbed fresh tomatoes for canned tomatoes, we just grew sugar pumpkins, can I sub those for your canned pumpkin puree? oh never mind! just saw your post on just this! sugar pumpkin roasting and fresh puree!

145 Becky October 10, 2014

While I could never give up meat, I am more conscious of my sources and hubs and I prefer wild game to store purchase. My reasons are, in part, the poor US regulations and the poor conditions for animals. I think my view is more quality control and natural than vegan but I can certainly appreciate your position and rationale. That said, this is a lovely recipe and I’ll be trying it soon. Do you know how well it may freeze, or not at all? I may need to halve the recipe, if not, to avoid waste.

146 Mandy October 19, 2014

Love you, the website, your recipes, THIS recipe (so far my all time favorite recipe is the Soul-Soothing African Peanut Stew from your cookbook!) …but I have to know: where did you get the spoon with the leaves on it? I checked Etsy.com for what seems like hours and I can’t find anything like it! Thanks!

147 cecilia November 22, 2014

I know u will never read this but…………if every life is precious why would u take birth control to potentially end a precious human life? People have way more value than animals. Like u said people think they can just choose to end a life. its really sad u could think like that.

148 Gifts December 17, 2014

Hi!
Just wondering about shelf life. I was going to make different types of nut butter instead of Christmas baking as little gifts and I love this one.
Do you think this be frozen as well?
Thanks!