Thick & Chunky Tomato Sauce from Scratch

freshtomatosauce-9444

At the end of August, without fail, I get this crazy urge to organize, declutter, and donate things. The rest of the year I’m usually content to overlook my own chaos and disorganization, but once the back to school season hits, I turn into that domestic goddess I always wanted to be. I can do anything! Even if it doesn’t last very long, it feels good to start a new season with a clean slate.

Eric has always been the tidy, organizer in our relationship, so whenever he sees me tearing stuff apart he follows suit creating an equally large mess on the floor beside me. A natural born organizer can never pass up the chance to organize, you know? So this past weekend we spent a full day giving our office an overhaul, which led to furniture reorganization, which led to an Ikea trip to buy a cabinet. Why does organization always seem to lead to an Ikea trip? And more importantly, why do we insist on going the busiest weekend of the year? We are suckers.

Feeling on top of the world after our office clean-up, we went through the bedroom closet and donated a bag of clothing and then we semi-solved my kitchen storage issues. Total organizer’s high. I can see why some people become addicted to organizing. If only it would rub off on me a bit longer.

This is the year I change for the better and stay organized. I say this every September. Oh well.

tomato-9394

In food related news, I don’t know why it took me so long to make my own tomato sauce from scratch. Shame on me! I don’t want to jinx it, but I feel like my kitchen mojo is back now that I’m only creating recipes for the blog again. It’s such a great feeling not to be zapped of creativity. I just have all this renewed energy to create, create, create.

The secret to this sauce? Sun-dried tomatoes. Gosh, I love them so. They turn a run of the mill fresh tomato sauce into a rich and creamy concentrated sauce with so much depth of flavour. I really couldn’t believe the difference in taste before and after adding them in. Instead of just stirring the chopped sundried tomatoes into the sauce, I decided to puree them and emulsify their flavour throughout. Oh my lanta. Once I stirred the sun-dried mixture back into the sauce it was transformed into something only dreams are made of. You really have to try this!

tomatosauce

Thick & Chunky Tomato Sauce from Scratch

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

4.9 from 8 reviews

A few simple ingredients can create the most delightful homemade tomato sauce! The secret to this recipe is blending sun-dried tomatoes with a scoop of sauce and then stirring it back into the pot. The result is a thick and creamy tomato sauce with a ton of flavour unlike any other tomato sauce. There's no need to skin the tomatoes for this recipe, but I like to quickly discard the seeds before using. Chop the tomato into 4-5 large wedges and then push the seeds out from both sides and discard. Proceed with dicing as usual. If you don't have oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, feel free to use dried - but be sure to soak them in water until soft and drain before use. You might want to bump up the olive oil to 1.5 tablespoons to make up for the reduction in oil. Lastly, this batch only makes 1 & 1/4 cups - I would suggest doubling it because it doesn't last long!

Yield
1 large or 2 small servings
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

For the sauce (makes 1 + 1/4 cups):
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 large sweet onion or 1 small yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 large tomatoes, seeded and diced (about 3 cups diced)
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, minced
  • 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (about 6)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
For the noodles:
  • 1 medium zucchini, spiralized or julienned or 1 serving cooked pasta or 1/2 cooked spaghetti squash

Directions:

1. Add the oil, onion, and garlic into a medium pot and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
  2. Stir in the diced tomatoes and increase heat to high-medium to bring to a low boil. When the mixture boils, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes, uncovered, until most of the water cooks off. Watch closely, reducing heat if necessary and stirring often.
  3. Add sun-dried tomatoes into a food processor along with a ladle of the tomato sauce. Process until mostly smooth. Stir this mixture back into the tomato sauce in the pot.
  4. Stir in the minced basil, oregano, salt, and pepper, and optional red pepper flakes to taste. Continue cooking until thickened to your liking and then remove from heat.
  5. Serve sauce over a bed of pasta noodles, zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash noodles.

Tips:

Note: For how to julienne or spiralize zucchini (and the tools I use for the job), see this post.

freshtomatosauce-9433

1 Lauren @ The Highlands Life September 6, 2013

Yum! I can use up some of the rest of my tomatoes from
My garden for this! Looks so delicious!

2 Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon September 6, 2013

I love that you spiralized the zucchini- and this sauce looks delicious! I love making my own sauce and adding whatever fresh herbs I can get my hands on, pureed veggies, and ground up almonds for that meaty texture I sometimes miss from red sauce!

3 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } September 6, 2013

I’m a sucker for a good marinara sauce. I haven’t made any in years but I’m going to make this up and freeze a few pints to use throughout the next few weeks!

4 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 6, 2013

There’s nothing like fresh homemade tomato sauce! My grandma used to make it all the time and it was the best. I prefer making my own rather than eating out of the jar. I can’t wait to try yours!

5 Sara September 6, 2013

Whenever we have fresh tomatoes on hand, we make fresh tomato sauce, nothing can beat that. I’ve never tried adding sun dried tomatoes though, so I’ll make sure that your tip gets some follow-up ;-) Since I love pesto made of sun dried tomatoes, I think I’ll love it in regular tomato sauce to!

6 Coach Heather Cates September 6, 2013

I love this!! I will try it next week in place of pasta for carb loading. Thank you so much for sharing.

7 Penniless Veggie September 6, 2013

Ooh, love the combination of fresh and sun-dried tomatoes! The texture of that sauce looks amazing too!

8 Lisa C September 6, 2013

Love, love, love sun-dried tomatoes! On a salad, in your Goddess Bowl, in tomato sauce, etc.! Had something like this the other night, straight from the garden, complete with some additional sautéed eggplant, topped with some nutritional yeast and toasted walnuts – superb!

9 Alexandra @ Lean Green Healthy Machine September 6, 2013

Loving the daily posts :) So exciting to see a new delicious recipe that I can’t wait to make every day! So many store bought tomato sauces are loaded with unnecessary ingredients…homemade really is the best (especially with this recipe!!).

10 Shundara@SavyNaturalista September 6, 2013

Every artist goes through a block especially when they need lots of content; but at least your back! I thought I was the only one still obsessed with tomatoes I love a good homemade sauce especially a chunky one my favorite.

11 Lisa September 6, 2013

Any chance I could use the sun-dried tomatoes in a package instead of the oil-packed ones? I just so happen to have only the dried variety on hand and I bought a ridiculous amount of tomatoes at our farmer’s market yesterday and this recipe is calling my name today.

12 Amanda September 10, 2013

I made this recipe yesterday using the dry packaged sun-dried tomatoes instead of oil-packed ones. It worked really well! I rehydrated mine by pouring boiling water over them and letting them sit for about 10 minutes. I would have actually left them longer to soften them further, as they were a little tough to blend. But the sauce was really delicious.

13 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 6, 2013

Oh my gosh, I haven’t had sundried tomatoes in SO long! This sounds lovely! And awesome that you’re back in the recipe creation/cooking groove. It’s amazing (and kind of annoying) how the ideas can sometimes just dry up at the most inconvenient times, isn’t it!? As for fall cleaning, I’m totally the same way. It’s sort of like spring cleaning a few months too late, but I love doing it because I totally get that cleaning high that you described! I’m kind a sad that my summer clothes will be going away soon, but a closet clean-out always feels good too.

14 Lisa September 6, 2013

Never mind I just read your note at the top of your recipe. off to start cooking!

15 Ashley September 6, 2013

Delicious, I’m sure! I just went to Ikea (we have one about an hour and a half away in Sacramento) for the first time a couple of months ago on the way home from Napa Valley. We were there for hours and I wanted to buy everything!

16 Andrea September 6, 2013

Out of curiosity, what spiralizer do you have? I got a cheap-o one online and it broke after only a few months because I use it so much!! :/ Looking for a good brand that will last more than a few months!! =)

17 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan September 6, 2013

Sun dried tomatoes just take it to the next level! Love the zucchini noodles too : )

18 kelly September 6, 2013

You are on a roll! Got some tomatoes from my garden (love the ease of the skins on) !

19 Geosomin September 6, 2013

Looks tasty.
For some reason all I could think of was Marge Simpson saying “the secret ingredient is salt!” :P

20 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 6, 2013

Your pasta sauce looks so thick and full of texture and I love tomatoes so I know I’d love this. And on spiralized zuke noodles. Haven’t broken out my spiralizer in far too long. Thanks for the inspiration to dust it off! Have loved all your Mofo posts this week!

21 Maria Tadic September 6, 2013

I love making my own sauce! I use a lot of tomato paste in mine – really gives the sauce a big hit of flavor!!

22 Maria September 6, 2013

Where do you find organic sundried tomatoes packed in oil?

23 Nicola September 6, 2013

I’m the same! Except this time it was my boys who suffered the brunt of my turn of the seasons organizing and they had to tidy their rooms! ;-)

24 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe September 6, 2013

This looks amazing, as usual. You really are a domestic goddess!

25 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 6, 2013

My Italian food craving passed yesterday…low and behold…it’s back! Your fault! ;-)

26 allie September 6, 2013

I always make my own sauce, as taught by my Nana. Biggest secret? A tsp of sugar into the pot..it takes away the acidity of the tomatoes that some people struggle with. I suppose any sweetener (except chemical) would work. She always liked a smooth sauce so she pureed the tomatoes, celery, parsley in the blender first. I like a chunkier sauce so I use diced canned tomatoes or fresh..whatever i have on hand. I also sautee as many veggies as i have on hand…mushrooms…peppers…zucchini’s…eggplant…whatever..it’s very forgiving. I have even pureed broccoli and cauliflower and poured it in..also the white cannelini bean is divine in a tomato sauce and adds some protein…whole or pureed. You pick :0) We serve over spaghetti squash or wholegrain noodles :0) I often make a huge batch and morph it into lasagna too

27 Stynerbot September 4, 2014

I love your comment! I make sauces and groups and chilli’s much the same way. Good way to get rid of the last bits and pieces I have in the pantry. I have also never thought of adding a bean for a kick of protein. Do you leave them whole or puree it into the sauce?

28 Amelia September 6, 2013

Yum! I love spiralized zucchini in place of pasta. I also like it in combination with gf mung bean or black bean pasta for extra chew. Great recipe! Nothing beats homemade. :)

29 Annie @ Natural Sweet Recipes September 6, 2013

This is so beautiful! What a lovely dish. This really illustrates how delicious and beautiful fresh, whole foods from scratch can be!

30 nan @ lbddiaries September 6, 2013

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’ve have been needing a homemade sauce because we don’t eat store bought anymore. So many I’ve tried were just… yuck. This one looks amazing and I just happen to have some fresh vine tomatoes. AND you solved my pasta problem (as in, we don’t eat it) – I totally forgot about spaghetti squash or that I could julienne zucchini! This learning to cook a new way isn’t that easy without someone to guide you – thank you for being a guider!!

31 Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables September 6, 2013

Funny, I never thought of putting sun-dried tomatoes into my sauce. I’m going to have to give it a try the next time we need some tomato sauce!

32 Ashlee@HisnHers September 6, 2013

Thick, fresh sauces are my favorite! I really need to invest in a spiralizer too :-/

33 Christina @ The Beautiful Balance September 6, 2013

Fresh tomato sauce is the best! The fact that you made it thick and chunky makes me want to run home and make this asap.

34 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} September 6, 2013

I love making my own tomato sauce, especially when my garden is overflowing with tomatoes! I love the addition of sun-dried tomatoes, what a genius idea.

35 Marissa@ohhhsolovely September 6, 2013

this looks so delicious! i am a naturally organized person and it just gives me such a sense of calm and peace when things are organized & clutter free.

36 Ana September 6, 2013

Angela, this tomato sauce recipe is incredible! I made it for dinner tonight and we loved it!!! I could not stop dipping spoons (clean of course) into it and eating it pure. The addition of the sun dried tomatoes makes it!
I love making my own tomato sauce and this will definitely be repeated many times around here.
Thanks for the amazing recipes, your blog is the best!!
Ana

37 Angelina September 6, 2013

Hi Angela,

I just wanted to take the time to reach out and say I think you’re amazing-Even better, you’re Canadian!!!! I’m a proud Canadian girl and I just love your simple, beautiful, down-to-earth style. I’m on the west coast, but if we lived in the same region, I’d want to hang out for sure:O) I love reading your blog and many of your recipes have become a mainstay in our home! I’m currently in the process of completing an M.A. in Counselling Psyc. as part of my goal to work with people with eating disorders. I’ve found that eating whole, organic, unprocessed foods has been beneficial in my own recovery. So THANK YOU!!!! for the work that you do. I so appreciate being able to access such amazing recipes and to share them with my family.

Cheers!

38 Electra September 6, 2013

You are a genius! This is so simple and delicious!

39 Cristal Porter September 6, 2013

Is it bad that I (almost) make one of your recipes every day. Yikes. I’m slightly obsessed.

This looks delicious. I’m thinking this will be on the menu next week :).

Thanks again for your posts. Grateful to have you as a resource!

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2013

Not bad at all!! hah. I’m so happy to hear that Cristal. :) Totally makes my efforts worthwhile.

41 Lindsay September 6, 2013

Love the idea of adding puréed sundries tomatoes! I’ve got a Costco bag of them I’ve been wondering how to use up.
I’m quite new to this vegan thing, and am looking to your blog quite frequently for recipe ideas. Everything is so good! Now that there’s things I can’t eat anymore though, they seem to be the things I crave. Two suggestions if you’re ever short on recipe ideas: vegan versions of fish tacos, and cauliflower crust pizza… I dream of these things!!!

42 janet @ the taste space September 6, 2013

I welcome the return of your cooking mojo. I love sun dried tomatoes pureed as a sauce. I actually just shared a similar recipe, although it is no-cook. It is too hot to cook here. :-)

43 DRAMA September 7, 2013

Looks good!)
Love your photos=)
aboutdrama.blogspot.ru/

44 Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ September 7, 2013

This is a genuine and flavorful tomato sauce. I like to cook my sauce this way! Thanks for sharing it.

45 Sandra September 7, 2013

I love making home made tomatoe sauce with slow roasted Roma tomatoes. I just slice them lengthwise, remove the seeds, drizzle them with olive oil and sometimes a little bit of very very good (read expensive but worth it!) balsamic vinegar. Put them cut side up in a single layer. I have been known to add onions and red pepper to this oven adventure also. When it’s all done, you can mash it a bit, blend some, or purée as you like depending on use. So delicious. Slow roasting your tomatoes makes them super sweet. No sugar ever required. Adding red peppers also boosts sweetness. Sometimes I slow sautée them separately till they are total mush and add them to the tomatoes after. When I make sauce for raw zucchini pasta, I put lots of raw basil, sundried tomatoes and olive oil in the food processor separately. I toss the noodles with this pesto sauce first and even keep leftovers in the fridge for extra meals. Cooked sauces can be warmed and added when you’re ready to eat so you can change up the experience. I personally prefer raw basil with my marinara so I rarely add basil until after. Plus, chopped basil on top looks gorgeous.
PS. If your sauce is bitter, it might be a couple of things. 1. Your tomatoes. Some varieties cook up sweeter than others. Field grown Roma tomatoes are the best (in my opinion). 2. Try cooking it more slowly. Cooking tomatoes on high heat and/or quickly brings out their bitterness. The best sauces ever are the simplest ones (onions, tomatoes) that simmer super slowly all day long. Buon apetito!

46 Kylie - FotV September 7, 2013

I don’t know why, but making my own tomato sauce always seems to daunting to me, but I really should just get over it and try it! Sun dried tomatoes sounds like an amazing addition!

47 Katie September 7, 2013

I totally agree on the sundried tomatoes. I’ve been putting them in my lasagna for years to intensify the tomato flavour, but never thought to put them in my spaghetti sauce (duh!) Thanks for a beautiful fresh recipe and for so many posts lately!

48 BerryBloomXO September 7, 2013

This looks lovely! I love how its on zucchini pasta! Need to try this out! Thank You!
xoxo,

berrybloomxo.blogspot.com

49 Heather J September 7, 2013

I just made this sauce and it is delicious! The sundried tomatoes really make it special. I added a splash of balsamic vinegar at the end. Luckily, I tripled the recipe for leftovers :)

50 YoungMild&Free September 7, 2013

I have so many fresh tomatoes from my garden right now, so I need to give this a try! Thank you for sharing!

xx
youngmildandfree.wordpress.com

51 Elyse @ Lizzie Fit September 8, 2013

Mmmm this looks awesome, especially on the zucchini noodles :)

52 kimmythevegan September 8, 2013

Huh. I wish my hubby would feel compelled to help organize when I get to spring cleaning ;p
This sauce looks super tasty! I’m actually going to make this tonight for dinner =)

53 Kevin @ Closet Cooking September 8, 2013

What a tasty summer pasta dish!

54 Åsa September 8, 2013

This tomato sauce is fantastic! Thank you for sharing. I have made tomato sauce from scratch many times but never got so much flavour with so little effort. :)

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2013

Hey Asa, Wonderful news – I’m so glad you loved it too!

56 Karen September 8, 2013

This was my very first attempt at making my own sauce. Ever. I had a ton of tomatoes, onions and basil from my latest CSA pickup and decided what the heck. Go for it! I did and it was 2 die 4. I put it on top of spaghetti squash and I was in food ecstasy.

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2013

Hey Karen, So happy you enjoyed it!!

58 Sherry September 8, 2013

Keep em coming. If your goal is to post 20 recipes in Sept, then mine will be to make them all. Had this for supper and it was delicious. Made your apple jam and served it over cooked oats for breakfast.

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2013

hah I love that goal!! :)

60 Sherry September 9, 2013

Had the pink detox smoothie for a snack today. The first few sips took a bit of adjusting but after that it was ok. Have to admit that it wasn’t a favourite but given how good it is for you I can see myself drinking it once in a while.

61 Ewelina September 9, 2013

Hi Angela!
I came across your blog through Vegan Mofo listing and I am enjoying every bit of it! I am so inspired by your Thick & Chunky Tomato Sauce from Scratch:) Thank you for posting those beautiful recipes I am dying to be able to try them out when I am back from my voyages.

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2013

Welcome! So happy to hear you found the blog :) Thanks so much for your lovely note! Off to check out your blog now

63 tia mia September 9, 2013

Looks delicious…will definitely be giving it a try! Did you boil or steam your spiral zucchini noodles?

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2013

Nope I just prefer them raw :) nice and crisp!

65 tia mia September 10, 2013

Thank you, Angela. I will try them raw. :)

66 tea-time365.blogspot.com September 9, 2013

Consistency of this sauce looks good, i will write down this recipe or print it.

67 MIZ September 9, 2013

**reporting back**
:0)
MADE THIS WEEKEND AND IT ROCKED.

68 Laura S. September 9, 2013

I have the packaged sun-dried tomatoes, not in oil. Do you see a way this recipe could work with those instead?

69 Valerie September 9, 2013

I made this last night and it was a winner, even with my 6-year-old. The sun-dried tomatoes really make the sauce! Thanks for the recipe.

70 Simi @ theMicroHarvest.com September 9, 2013

Looks delish. Sounds like a great recipe to try with the last zucchinis from the summer!

71 Byron Berry September 9, 2013

I’ve always used spaghetti squash, never thought about zucchini! Love it.

72 Liz @ I Spy Plum Pie September 9, 2013

That looks delicious! We’re just heading towards tomato season in Australia so I shall bookmark this to make a big batch of when I have some tomatoes in the garden!

73 Marielle | Vega in Vianen September 10, 2013

What a great recipe! I made it last night, adding in half a zucchini and red bell pepper that I still had in the fridge. I didn’t do the zucchini noodles, despite having bought a julienne peeler, because my husband turned out not to be a fan… I’m still working on that though!

74 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 10, 2013

I love vibrant food, especially salads! This looks lovely, yum!

75 Lisa September 10, 2013

My family and I absolutely loved this sauce. I used the dried sun-dried tomatoes and it worked perfectly. I doubled the recipe and the first night we had it over pasta and the second night we used it on pizza. Outstanding both ways! Thanks so much! I think I will be making it again this week.

76 Elisabeth September 11, 2013

This recipe was just what I needed, I have been making these quite boring pasta sauces for sometime now but today I made this and it tasted amazing. I’ve tried several recipes from your blog and I’ve liked them all but this is definitely my favorite! All thumbs up! :)

77 Stacyk September 11, 2013

I tried it this week and it is so yummy! I didn’t have basil, so I used cilantro. I can’t wait to try again with basil next time. Thanks for the recipe!

78 briana September 14, 2013

I am trying to find a good recipe to freeze for sauces through the winter since i have an abundance of tomatoes from the garden this week.

Would this recipe still taste as good if I froze it in jars for later?

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 15, 2013

Hey Briana, I haven’t tried freezing it, but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work as I think most tomato sauces can be frozen.

80 Alexa Rae @ KEEN Digital Summit September 15, 2013

Zucchini pasta is my newest food obsession! This sauce looks like the perfect way to enjoy it during fall :)

81 LindaB September 17, 2013

OMG. This was so so so soooo good!
Just polished off a double batch in two days (just me!).
Planning on making an even BIGGER batch to freeze.
Yummerzzzzzzzzzz. Thank you Angela! Amazing as always! :)

82 RAD September 17, 2013

Made this tonight for dinner…..yum….. a definite keeper. Used fresh beefsteak and plum/roma tomatoes from the farmers’ market and different types of fresh oregano and basil from my herb garden. The sundried tomatoes added a nice depth and texture to the sauce. Really the only thing I added after doubling the recipe was about 2t of sugar. Thanks for posting your recipe (and the great picture… it looked so good I had to try it.)!

83 Dezarae September 21, 2013

This is absolutely DELICIOUS and so easy!! Thank you SO much for this recipe :)

84 Earth lover September 23, 2013
85 Ciera September 26, 2013

Made it tonight. EXCELLENT!!!!! Another OhSheGlows recipe being saved!!! NEVER have not saved one I tried!!! THANK YOU!!!!

86 Taylor September 30, 2013

I doubled this recipe when I made it last night so I could have leftovers..and I don’t think it’s going to last more than a second night! This is soooo delicious!! Bravo!

87 Alston October 1, 2013

Just made this tonight, delicious!!! Next time I’m tripling it and freezing the rest, thank you so much!!

88 bob October 6, 2013

Bring what to a boil? What water? Don’t see anything about water in the ingredients…

89 bob October 6, 2013

90 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 7, 2013

the tomato mixture :)

91 Erin October 10, 2013

This looks fantastic, thanks so much for sharing!
Just curious if you’ve ever tried making a much larger batch in a slower cooker?

Thanks again,
Erin

92 Angie October 14, 2013

This sauce is seriously amazing!! We had this last week. Check out the full review here: http://veganrecipereview.com/?recipe=thick-chunky-tomato-sauce-over-zucchini-noodles

93 Lindsay November 2, 2013

Tried this recipe tonight. How do you serve your zucchini noodles? Raw? I tried both raw, and lightly sautéed- and both times they let out a lot of water which made my plate quite watery.

94 Reggie Francisco November 8, 2013

Hello! Love this recipe, I am definitely going to try this over the weekend. :) I was just wondering if you have the nutrition facts for this? Thanks so much!

95 G.C. December 22, 2013

Had this tomato sauce with spaghetti squash (followed your post on how to bake one). Didn’t have fresh basil so added some of my mom’s canned pesto; added thyme instead of oregano. 1/4 tsp salt turned out to be too much for me so I had to compensate with a little honey. BUT all that done and said, this sauce was delish. Would love to try it to the T next time.

And the spaghetti squash? Oh my god. I don’t think I’ll ever buy gluten free angel hair pasta again. Ever.

96 vaseux January 14, 2014

I tried this out tonight… It was my first time having zucchini ‘noodles’ and I have to say, both me and my guy LOVED them! In fact, we liked them better than pasta! Thank you for the delicious and healthy idea! I’m also really glad that I found another use for my mandoline! :)

97 Anke January 21, 2014

Yum!!! This sauce is awesome. And so easy!!! Thanx Angela. Also the Alfredo Sauce, which I tried last week. Yumyumyum!!!

98 ashley January 26, 2014

I made the sauce last night and it was delicious! Thank you!

99 Sarah February 10, 2014

Yum! Looks delicious. You’ve inspired me to work on a raw version of this tomato sauce.

100 Deborah May 12, 2014

Another winner! This came out thick and delicious. I dried the finely julienned zucchini on tea towels while making the sauce. Everyone loved it. I’m a new fan!

101 janice wong August 16, 2014

Is there any reason why we should see them ? Is just for texture or will it alter taste ?
Does anyone use whole tomatoes for sauce without seeding them ?

102 jen grace September 15, 2014

yes- see post below

103 Susan September 8, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Just had this for dinner. It was delicious!
I love zucchini noodles and this sauce goes perfectly.
Thanks

104 Debbie September 14, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Always a winner!

105 jen grace September 15, 2014

sun dried tomatoes- great idea! am trying today with my own from this year’s great harvest. one thing i will do differently is use the whole tomatoes (seeds and all) because i just read last night in ‘On The Wild Side’ that the parts we usually toss away are actually the best for us- have the most lypocene etc.

106 Mira @ A Manner of Travel October 22, 2014

I love this recipe!
Has anyone tried to make a big batch and freeze it? Any tips for freezing this type of sauce?
Thanks!

107 ashsara January 3, 2015

just made this now, ahhhmazing!

108 Elisabeth January 16, 2015
Recipe Rating:

This is one of my all time favorite recipes from your blog. It tastes like something you would get at a great restaurant!

109 Karen Gentry March 9, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I am so excited about trying this recipe! I actually have a spiralizer because I am gluten-free. I use the spiralizer for potatoes too, and it makes really good shoe-string fries!

I am excited to try this sauce mainly because my sauces are always a little too watery. They taste amazing and are so rich in flavor because I always use fresh basil, but I am excited to try to change up the texture. Thanks for posting this! I made a vodka sauce with lots of cheese and THAT sauce was the only thick sauce I have made.

110 Monica April 16, 2015

I just made this sauce and am blown away by how good it is…. sometimes chunky is funky to me but man oh man this is delicious!! A quick question to anyone whos made this sauce before: how long does it hold in the fridge?

111 Zwaan May 28, 2015

Hello (: How many people would this sauce serve? I’m thinking about making this for 7/8 people tomorrow. It looks really good!

112 Zwaan May 28, 2015

I’m sorry I just now noticed the ‘yield’. Never mind!

113 kosher meat recipes June 24, 2015
Recipe Rating:

i found it easy to make! fantastic recipe for sauce & more

114 Blaire August 6, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight with zucchini noodles and it was the BEST sauce I have ever had. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

115 Julie August 6, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I’m new to this site and thought I’d try this recipe. OMG, this was absolutely delicious! It took a little getting used to the first few bites b/c we are so used to bottled spaghetti sauces, but the fresh and dried tomatoes made everything taste so much better. All fresh ingredients, and the pepper flakes gave it a little kick. I also added kidney beans to give it some protein. I used whole wheat spaghetti noodles instead of regular noodles. This is definitely a keeper!

116 E August 27, 2015

I never ever imagined I would be able to cook something that would taste this amazing. I lived in Italy these past two years and genuinely think this sauce is every bit as delicious as what one would be served in Italy!

117 Lane January 15, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I just made this and it was delicious. I had it over some spaghetti squash. Do you happen to know the serving size for this as well as the calorie count per serving? Thanks so much for this amazing recipe!

118 Mary July 23, 2016

Hi, just thought you’d like to know there’s a very annoying pop up add for ball park Angus beef burgers on this page which I was unable to get rid of to read your recipe. By the way love every recipe I have tried!

119 Angela Liddon July 25, 2016

Thanks so much for letting me know, Mary! We do our best to moderate pop-ups like that, but sometimes they sneak through.