5 Things I’m Loving Lately – Summer 2013 Edition

Putting together this series is quite fun. As soon as I publish a new things I’m loving lately post, I start a new list on the side of the refrigerator. Once I’ve collected a handful of new items that I love, it’s time to post another list!

You can find my previous lists here:

Here we go…

1. Desert Essence Organics Fragrance-Free Body Lotion

veganbeautyproducts 8411   5 Things I’m Loving Lately – Summer 2013 Edition

My go-to body lotion. If you are like me and loathe strong fragrances in many beauty products, you’ll appreciate this fragrance-free Desert Essence Hand & Body Lotion. I’ve written about my love for Desert Essence products many times before, such as their body wash which I still use exclusively. This is my go-to body lotion that I’ve been using it for the past several months. The consistency and thickness is great (neither too thin nor too thick) and it leaves behind no greasy feel like some natural lotions can. Desert Essence also makes body lotions with natural fragrances if that is more your thing!

veganbeautyproducts 8413   5 Things I’m Loving Lately – Summer 2013 Edition

2. Favourite Snack of the moment: Soaked Almonds

soaked almonds vs dry almonds 40093 thumb   5 Things I’m Loving Lately – Summer 2013 Edition

Once a week, I soak a cup of almonds in water overnight, rinse them off well in the morning, and then place the soaked almonds in a container for quick snacks all week long. There’s just something about hydrated, plump almonds that I adore! I really love the taste (they seem a bit more sweet when soaked) and texture. Best of all, soaking almonds makes them more digestible and your body will absorb the nutrients much easier. They are bursting with calcium and protein – 1/4 cup has 7.6 grams of protein and 91 mg of calcium. Not too shabby!

3. The Healthy Deodorant

veganbeautyproducts 8415   5 Things I’m Loving Lately – Summer 2013 Edition

I’ve tried many natural deodorants over the years and none of them came close to being worthy of buying twice. I’m happy to report that I’ve found a natural deodorant that I love called The Healthy Deodorant by Lavanila. The rave reviews convinced me to try it out. It’s free of petrochemicals, aluminum, phthalates, synthetic dyes, sulfates, parabens, and more. It works comparable to regular drugstore deodorants that I’ve tried over the years. The only thing I’m not crazy about is this particular scent – grapefruit vanilla. I find it smells a lot like baby powder (I’m not a fan of baby powder smell at all). Fortunately, they have 7 other scents (like vanilla lavender and vanilla coconut!), so next time I will try one of those scents instead. In the US, you can find this deodorant for $14 USD on Amazon or Sephora.com. In Canada, it’ll set you back $23 CAD from Sephora.ca. It’s pricey, but I bought this back in April and my stick is still going strong 4 months later.

4. Eat Your Greens Medley – made with Lentils

IMG 20130810 112812   5 Things I’m Loving Lately – Summer 2013 Edition

I made a version of my Eat Your Greens Chickpea Medley for a party this past weekend. This time I used tiny French green lentils (sadly, I was out of spinach though). A great twist on this recipe!

5. Beanitos Chips

beanitos   5 Things I’m Loving Lately – Summer 2013 Edition

These black bean chips are not only genius, but so tasty. They have a fair amount of protein per serving (4 grams per 12 chips) and their ingredient list is short and sweet: Whole Black Beans, Whole Grain Long Brown Rice and/or Long Grain White Rice, Pure Sunflower and/or Safflower Oil, Guar Bean Gum, Sea Salt. My only complaint is that the chips are quite thin and they can break in hefty dips. Otherwise, two thumbs up.

Well, that’s a wrap for August 2013. What things are you loving lately?

sallie August 13, 2013

I have been loving almonds lately as well … a great snack! Also, I find the natural deodorant interesting. I tried a few a long time ago and never really like them much at all, but maybe it is time to give it a shot again. Thanks for sharing!

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 13, 2013

Those bean chips look great. I’ve tried some red bean ones from TJ’s years ago and loved them so much (and ate them all in like a day) so haven’t bought them again :)

The deodorant. Wow, great find! I normally have not had good luck with ‘natural’ deodorants working well, at all. As you said – not worth rebuying! Glad to know this one’s a keeper!

Danica August 13, 2013

Ohhhh Beanitos are so good! Have you tried the Nacho ones?

I really need to try out the Daily Essence stuff!

Kirsten August 13, 2013

Love the Beanitos too!

Got to say, for deo, I finally tried making my own with coconut oil, arrowroot starch and baking soda – works better than the traditional unhealthy deo! No sticky wetness, no smell, even lasts through my hot yoga sessions :) Just if you want to try something a little less expensive :)

Kirsten

PS – LOVE your site!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2013

Thanks Kirsten! I’ve tried the homemade deodorant before, but I didn’t find that it worked as well as I hoped it would. It’s probably worth revisiting though! What’s your ratio of ingredients?

Sonia the Mexigarian August 13, 2013

I recently just started using coconut oil and baking soda as well for deo, by recommendation of my cousin, and love it.just slap on some oil in the underarms and a little dusting of baking soda and good to go. how d you make yours?

Kirsten August 13, 2013

The mix I’ve been using is:
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
5-6 Tablespoons coconut oil
I found it here: http://cadryskitchen.com/2012/08/29/diy-coconut-oil-deodorant/
She used to use the same one you are Angela!

I hope another try works for you! (I’ve heard you have to give your body several weeks to adjust – I was lucky, no adjustment phase for me!)

Good luck Angela and Sonia!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2013

Thanks – I might give it another try when this one is nearing completion! :)

Kirsten August 14, 2013

Let me know if it works for you :)

JenniferP August 14, 2013

I make my own deodorant as well (the ratio of oil to starch varies depending on the season for mine though). I find it works ok as is, but I’m very active and need a bit more deodorizing than the regular recipe gives. I’ve found that adding a few drops of tea tree oil to the mix does the trick (without the smell being over-powering).

I’ve never tried the LaVanila deodorant, but I LOVE their roll-on perfume (specifically the Coconut Vanilla one)! The price difference on the Sephora sites for Canada and the US is due to different size options I think though… that deodorant comes in a travel size too, which is $13 in Canada, as well as the $23 size.

Vivian August 14, 2013

I just read somewhere that lemon juice works – I’ve been testing it out for a couple of weeks and it’s been amazing. I wish I had heard of this sooner; simple, inexpensive and very effective.

NMeyer August 15, 2013

Vivian,

Does the lemon juice stain your clothing at all? Do you apply it once per day or require it more often? Do you exercise at all?

Megan (The Lyons' Share) August 13, 2013

Do you worry about the soaked almonds mildew-ing at all? I just have a fear of leaving moist food for too long, but maybe I’m crazy. The Beanitos look great – I’m going to try to hunt some down to try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2013

I try not to leave the almonds soaking for longer than 10 hours – sometimes as few as 3-4 hours if I’m in a time crunch. Be sure to rinse them very well before storing. If you are worried, you could also give them a quick soak in boiling water. I’ve never had an issue with it though.

Megan (The Lyons' Share) August 13, 2013

Makes sense – I bet rinsing does the trick. Thanks, Angela!

Emma B August 15, 2013

So do you store the almonds in the fridge? Or do you pat them dry them first and put them back in the cupboard? I’m curious how long they last. Thanks!

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables August 13, 2013

I was wondering the same thing, I did have some almonds mold on me once and I’ve been wary of leaving them in the fridge for long ever since then. Maybe a shorter soaking time is the key–you’ve inspired me to give them another try!

Andrea August 13, 2013

I am in LOVE with your almond butter parsnip fries (even my meat and grease loving hubby adores them!), sunflower sprouts and Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage vegan sausages…I also still make a batch of On The Glow Basic Oatmeal Squares at least twice a month. My 2 year old is convinced they’re cake =)

I need to try those beanitos though! look yummy! =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2013

Awesome – so glad to hear that Andrea!

Heather August 13, 2013

I’m loving soaked almonds lately too! Mine are not as intentional as yours though…I find myself snacking from the almonds that I have soaking for almond milk. At least it keeps me from devouring the whole bowl, because if I do, then I have to wait that much longer to soak another cup of almonds for actually making the almond milk.

Abby @Change of Pace August 13, 2013

I used Desert Essences face wash a while ago and really liked it; I’ll have to try the lotion!
I’m loving any kind of cold quinoa salad right now. So refreshing!

Sonia the Mexigarian August 13, 2013

you got me hooked on the Desert Essence products. i really like the shampoos and conditioners and body wash.

i’ll have to try the soaked almonds :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2013

I just tried their cleansing Lemon shampoo and I love it :)

Jesse @OutToLunchC August 13, 2013

I LOVE those Bean Chips! I have been kinda addicted so I had to stop buying them! I have been loving fresh apricots lately. This is the first year I actually bought them fresh and they are so good!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 13, 2013

Never heard of soaking almonds … I’m going to try that!

Amanda August 13, 2013

I love these types of posts! It’s always fun to see what products other people are enjoying. I’ll have to look for that body lotion next time I’m in Whole Foods. It’s surprisingly difficult to find one that’s moisturizing, but not greasy! Also, my skin tends to get irritated by the various fragrances, as much as my nose might enjoy them. :)

Crista August 13, 2013

Lately I’m loving Pureology Perfect For Platinum Shampoo & Conditioner, homemade iced tea, and fresh organic cherries!! xox

ami@naivecookcooks August 13, 2013

Never tried bean chips before! These look so tasty!

Livi August 13, 2013

yum! those beanitos sound greattttttt, I can’t wait to try them!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 13, 2013

I’m so happy you highlighted that deodorant because I’ve been looking for a natural one for a while now that I liked. I’ve tried a few different kinds with no avail, so I look forward to giving this one a try.

Clare August 13, 2013

I definitely will have to try that deodorant – I have been on a never-ending quest myself and looks like shelling out a little more may be worth it!

Penny August 13, 2013

For those of you who are worried about the soaked almonds going bad, you can also dry them out again at the lowest temperature in the oven or in a dehydrater. I definitely wouldn’t feel comfortable carrying them with me in this hot weather.
Thank you for sharing the ingredient list for the Beanitos. I have seen them in our local grocery store flyer and thought that they looked intriguing, but always forget about them when I go. We avoid grains and vegetable oils for health reasons, so now I know to skip them.
I will be trying the deodorant once my Jason’s is gone. This brand really does not work well at all.

Shel@PeachyPalate August 13, 2013

Do you strictly buy only vegan friendly beauty products? (Just out of interest!)

char eats greens August 13, 2013

I looooove Beanitos but I haven’t gotten them lately because they’re a little pricey. I keep checking Bulk Barn for them to go on sale. Thanks for the deodarant recommendation!! I’m using a “Kiss My Face” one right now and it’s pretty good. You have reapply once during the day if it does get pretty warm out, but other than that it’s been good!!

Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie August 13, 2013

Love this post! NEED to try those chips! <3

Jerilyn August 13, 2013

Love LaVanila!! It’s the only vegan deodorant I’ve tried that’s worked (and I gave the DIY method a really good try)

Lou August 13, 2013

I just soaked a big batch of almonds, walnuts, and pepitas yesterday! They are currently “activating” in my turned off, but still kinda warm oven right now. I throw them in everything from yogurt to oatmeal to salads or eat them by the handful! So much easier for the body to digest!!

I’m also loving spinach chips…like kale chips but with spinach! And also, my new favorite kitchen tool, my CHERRY PITTER!!!!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen August 13, 2013

Thanks for the deodorant recommendation! I’ve been trying to switch my beauty products over to more natural ones lately and so I just picked up a Jason’s deodorant to replace the Dove kind that I usually buy. This one is okay but I’m not crazy about it.

Lately I’m loving Rise kombuchas, homemade miso gravy, and Giddy Yoyo chocolate bars!

Ashey August 13, 2013

I have no idea if it is vegan friendly or not, but I am loving the Suuthe by Mari Skin Repair Lotion. I tried it because my oldest son has eczema which I can never seem to fully get rid of. This stuff makes a noticeable difference in the redness of his skin overnight. Amazing stuff. What attracted me to it was the fact that all ingredients are food grade. Pricey, but it lasts and lasts. I got the trial with chapstick and two small jars. We have been using it mostly daily for 2 months now and the first jar isn’t even half gone. I generously lather one cheek and the insides of both his elbows.

JCHokie August 13, 2013

I love the Lavanila deodorant! I’ve been using it for over a year now, my favorite scent is the Vanilla Passionfruit. It’s a really fresh and clean smell.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 14, 2013

Thanks for the tip – I’ll have to check out that one!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy! August 13, 2013

Hm soaked almonds; I’ll have to try that!

Things I am loving are: red seedless grapes, farmer’s markets, the new Poppin’ line from indigo, and Chelsea Roff’s indiegogo campaign for her Yoga initiative as a treatment for EDs (http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/yoga-for-eating-disorders)

Katie August 13, 2013

Definitely want to try that lotion!
I’ve loving Beanfields chips in “Nacho”….I think it’s becoming a problem, they are that good! =)

alishadhi August 14, 2013

almond is great snack indeed, I am crazy about lentils…well for organic fragrance, deodorant it is impossible to find here in Nepal though I want to use them..anyways great post..

Heather Williams August 14, 2013

Hey Angela! Just wanted you to know that this feature you do is one of my favorites! It inspired me to start thinking of things I love more often too:) I love the idea of keeping it on your fridge! I may do that soon! Or, perhaps add a note to my Notes app to my phone of what I’m loving lately:)
I also LOVE soaked almonds and this post inspired me to stick a batch in some water in the fridge now:) THANKS!:) Hope you are well! So glad you’re back!!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health August 14, 2013

I love when you do these posts! I’m always interested in all the great things you find.
I’ve had Beanitos that were made in Austin, TX and they were awesome. I wonder if that’s the same brand? The packaging looks different.
I’ve also heard great things about that deodorant! Natural deodorant is always so finicky but everyone has said great things about that one- I have to try it!

Stephanie August 14, 2013

I adore the Lavanila deodorant! I have tried just about every single kind of aluminum free deodorant out there, and this is by far my fave!

Meredith August 14, 2013

I’m obsessed with soaked almonds right now too! Soooo much better than unsoaked.

Gena August 14, 2013

That deodorant is THE BEST. The absolute best. So glad you like it too.

PS — in San Fran right now on a girls’ trip with my mom — just as you were a few months ago! xx

Hannah August 14, 2013

Right now I am loving peach season! I’ve been making smoothies, eating them over the sink, and I think I’m going to try my hand at peach jam.

Also, I am in LOVE with homemade cashew milk. Shorter soaking time than almonds, and the cashew flavor is so prevalent. Plus the creaminess is unmatched!

Erena DiGonis August 14, 2013

I’m loving all of these too! Especially the soaked almonds. I’ve soaked almonds before for different recipes and always ended up munching on a few as I went and the texture is so much better than regular almonds. And I love the deodorant suggestion – I’ll definitely have to try it out! Thanks!

kendy August 14, 2013

Lavanila is the only natural deodorant that does not make me break out! I currently am using the blackberry & lemon scents!

Ellary August 14, 2013

I bet you could make your own “beanitos”…give the beans & rice a whirl in the food processor, add a bit of oil to prevent the mix from dehydrating, salt and spread on a baking sheet?? Or do you think it is more complicated than that? You could also make them thicker to withstand the heartier dips ;-) I am not as talented in the kitchen as others, but I may try the DIY version…

Julie (A Case of the Runs) August 14, 2013

I was on a no gluten, dairy, soy, corn, sugar, eggs, peanuts cleanse recently, and the only chip I could have were these Beanitos! They are surprisingly good! There’s also a nice chipotle flavor, though there’s a touch of brown sugar in those….

Jill August 14, 2013

I also love Beanitos! The soaking nuts is something I need to really get on. That and sprouting things. I know once I get into the routine it’ll be no big deal, but just gotta get started. One day ;)

Page 1 of 212»