5 Things I’m Loving Lately – Summer 2013 Edition

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 13, 2013

Putting together this series is quite fun. As soon as I publish a new things I’m loving lately post, I start a new list on the side of the refrigerator. Once I’ve collected a handful of new items that I love, it’s time to post another list!

You can find my previous lists here:

Here we go…

1. Desert Essence Organics Fragrance-Free Body Lotion

veganbeautyproducts-8411

My go-to body lotion. If you are like me and loathe strong fragrances in many beauty products, you’ll appreciate this fragrance-free Desert Essence Hand & Body Lotion. I’ve written about my love for Desert Essence products many times before, such as their body wash which I still use exclusively. This is my go-to body lotion that I’ve been using it for the past several months. The consistency and thickness is great (neither too thin nor too thick) and it leaves behind no greasy feel like some natural lotions can. Desert Essence also makes body lotions with natural fragrances if that is more your thing!

veganbeautyproducts-8413

2. Favourite Snack of the moment: Soaked Almonds

soaked almonds vs dry almonds-4009[3]

Once a week, I soak a cup of almonds in water overnight, rinse them off well in the morning, and then place the soaked almonds in a container for quick snacks all week long. There’s just something about hydrated, plump almonds that I adore! I really love the taste (they seem a bit more sweet when soaked) and texture. Best of all, soaking almonds makes them more digestible and your body will absorb the nutrients much easier. They are bursting with calcium and protein – 1/4 cup has 7.6 grams of protein and 91 mg of calcium. Not too shabby!

3. The Healthy Deodorant

veganbeautyproducts-8415

I’ve tried many natural deodorants over the years and none of them came close to being worthy of buying twice. I’m happy to report that I’ve found a natural deodorant that I love called The Healthy Deodorant by Lavanila. The rave reviews convinced me to try it out. It’s free of petrochemicals, aluminum, phthalates, synthetic dyes, sulfates, parabens, and more. It works comparable to regular drugstore deodorants that I’ve tried over the years. The only thing I’m not crazy about is this particular scent – grapefruit vanilla. I find it smells a lot like baby powder (I’m not a fan of baby powder smell at all). Fortunately, they have 7 other scents (like vanilla lavender and vanilla coconut!), so next time I will try one of those scents instead. In the US, you can find this deodorant for $14 USD on Amazon or Sephora.com. In Canada, it’ll set you back $23 CAD from Sephora.ca. It’s pricey, but I bought this back in April and my stick is still going strong 4 months later.

4. Eat Your Greens Medley – made with Lentils

IMG_20130810_112812

I made a version of my Eat Your Greens Chickpea Medley for a party this past weekend. This time I used tiny French green lentils (sadly, I was out of spinach though). A great twist on this recipe!

5. Beanitos Chips

beanitos

These black bean chips are not only genius, but so tasty. They have a fair amount of protein per serving (4 grams per 12 chips) and their ingredient list is short and sweet: Whole Black Beans, Whole Grain Long Brown Rice and/or Long Grain White Rice, Pure Sunflower and/or Safflower Oil, Guar Bean Gum, Sea Salt. My only complaint is that the chips are quite thin and they can break in hefty dips. Otherwise, two thumbs up.

Well, that’s a wrap for August 2013. What things are you loving lately?

sallie August 13, 2013 at 10:07 am

I have been loving almonds lately as well … a great snack! Also, I find the natural deodorant interesting. I tried a few a long time ago and never really like them much at all, but maybe it is time to give it a shot again. Thanks for sharing!

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 13, 2013 at 10:13 am

Those bean chips look great. I’ve tried some red bean ones from TJ’s years ago and loved them so much (and ate them all in like a day) so haven’t bought them again :)

The deodorant. Wow, great find! I normally have not had good luck with ‘natural’ deodorants working well, at all. As you said – not worth rebuying! Glad to know this one’s a keeper!

Danica August 13, 2013 at 10:19 am

Ohhhh Beanitos are so good! Have you tried the Nacho ones?

I really need to try out the Daily Essence stuff!

Kirsten August 13, 2013 at 10:22 am

Love the Beanitos too!

Got to say, for deo, I finally tried making my own with coconut oil, arrowroot starch and baking soda – works better than the traditional unhealthy deo! No sticky wetness, no smell, even lasts through my hot yoga sessions :) Just if you want to try something a little less expensive :)

Kirsten

PS – LOVE your site!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2013 at 10:35 am

Thanks Kirsten! I’ve tried the homemade deodorant before, but I didn’t find that it worked as well as I hoped it would. It’s probably worth revisiting though! What’s your ratio of ingredients?

Sonia the Mexigarian August 13, 2013 at 10:58 am

I recently just started using coconut oil and baking soda as well for deo, by recommendation of my cousin, and love it.just slap on some oil in the underarms and a little dusting of baking soda and good to go. how d you make yours?

Kirsten August 13, 2013 at 1:42 pm

The mix I’ve been using is:
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
5-6 Tablespoons coconut oil
I found it here: http://cadryskitchen.com/2012/08/29/diy-coconut-oil-deodorant/
She used to use the same one you are Angela!

I hope another try works for you! (I’ve heard you have to give your body several weeks to adjust – I was lucky, no adjustment phase for me!)

Good luck Angela and Sonia!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Thanks – I might give it another try when this one is nearing completion! :)

Kirsten August 14, 2013 at 5:25 am

Let me know if it works for you :)

JenniferP August 14, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I make my own deodorant as well (the ratio of oil to starch varies depending on the season for mine though). I find it works ok as is, but I’m very active and need a bit more deodorizing than the regular recipe gives. I’ve found that adding a few drops of tea tree oil to the mix does the trick (without the smell being over-powering).

I’ve never tried the LaVanila deodorant, but I LOVE their roll-on perfume (specifically the Coconut Vanilla one)! The price difference on the Sephora sites for Canada and the US is due to different size options I think though… that deodorant comes in a travel size too, which is $13 in Canada, as well as the $23 size.

Vivian August 14, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I just read somewhere that lemon juice works – I’ve been testing it out for a couple of weeks and it’s been amazing. I wish I had heard of this sooner; simple, inexpensive and very effective.

NMeyer August 15, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Vivian,

Does the lemon juice stain your clothing at all? Do you apply it once per day or require it more often? Do you exercise at all?

Megan (The Lyons' Share) August 13, 2013 at 10:25 am

Do you worry about the soaked almonds mildew-ing at all? I just have a fear of leaving moist food for too long, but maybe I’m crazy. The Beanitos look great – I’m going to try to hunt some down to try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2013 at 10:38 am

I try not to leave the almonds soaking for longer than 10 hours – sometimes as few as 3-4 hours if I’m in a time crunch. Be sure to rinse them very well before storing. If you are worried, you could also give them a quick soak in boiling water. I’ve never had an issue with it though.

Megan (The Lyons' Share) August 13, 2013 at 10:47 am

Makes sense – I bet rinsing does the trick. Thanks, Angela!

Emma B August 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm

So do you store the almonds in the fridge? Or do you pat them dry them first and put them back in the cupboard? I’m curious how long they last. Thanks!

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables August 13, 2013 at 11:18 am

I was wondering the same thing, I did have some almonds mold on me once and I’ve been wary of leaving them in the fridge for long ever since then. Maybe a shorter soaking time is the key–you’ve inspired me to give them another try!

Andrea August 13, 2013 at 10:29 am

I am in LOVE with your almond butter parsnip fries (even my meat and grease loving hubby adores them!), sunflower sprouts and Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage vegan sausages…I also still make a batch of On The Glow Basic Oatmeal Squares at least twice a month. My 2 year old is convinced they’re cake =)

I need to try those beanitos though! look yummy! =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2013 at 10:38 am

Awesome – so glad to hear that Andrea!

Heather August 13, 2013 at 10:35 am

I’m loving soaked almonds lately too! Mine are not as intentional as yours though…I find myself snacking from the almonds that I have soaking for almond milk. At least it keeps me from devouring the whole bowl, because if I do, then I have to wait that much longer to soak another cup of almonds for actually making the almond milk.

Abby @Change of Pace August 13, 2013 at 10:37 am

I used Desert Essences face wash a while ago and really liked it; I’ll have to try the lotion!
I’m loving any kind of cold quinoa salad right now. So refreshing!

Sonia the Mexigarian August 13, 2013 at 11:01 am

you got me hooked on the Desert Essence products. i really like the shampoos and conditioners and body wash.

i’ll have to try the soaked almonds :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I just tried their cleansing Lemon shampoo and I love it :)

Jesse @OutToLunchC August 13, 2013 at 11:15 am

I LOVE those Bean Chips! I have been kinda addicted so I had to stop buying them! I have been loving fresh apricots lately. This is the first year I actually bought them fresh and they are so good!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 13, 2013 at 11:51 am

Never heard of soaking almonds … I’m going to try that!

Amanda August 13, 2013 at 11:54 am

I love these types of posts! It’s always fun to see what products other people are enjoying. I’ll have to look for that body lotion next time I’m in Whole Foods. It’s surprisingly difficult to find one that’s moisturizing, but not greasy! Also, my skin tends to get irritated by the various fragrances, as much as my nose might enjoy them. :)

Crista August 13, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Lately I’m loving Pureology Perfect For Platinum Shampoo & Conditioner, homemade iced tea, and fresh organic cherries!! xox

[email protected] August 13, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Never tried bean chips before! These look so tasty!

Livi August 13, 2013 at 1:02 pm

yum! those beanitos sound greattttttt, I can’t wait to try them!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 13, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I’m so happy you highlighted that deodorant because I’ve been looking for a natural one for a while now that I liked. I’ve tried a few different kinds with no avail, so I look forward to giving this one a try.

Clare August 13, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I definitely will have to try that deodorant – I have been on a never-ending quest myself and looks like shelling out a little more may be worth it!

Penny August 13, 2013 at 1:50 pm

For those of you who are worried about the soaked almonds going bad, you can also dry them out again at the lowest temperature in the oven or in a dehydrater. I definitely wouldn’t feel comfortable carrying them with me in this hot weather.
Thank you for sharing the ingredient list for the Beanitos. I have seen them in our local grocery store flyer and thought that they looked intriguing, but always forget about them when I go. We avoid grains and vegetable oils for health reasons, so now I know to skip them.
I will be trying the deodorant once my Jason’s is gone. This brand really does not work well at all.

[email protected] August 13, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Do you strictly buy only vegan friendly beauty products? (Just out of interest!)

char eats greens August 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I looooove Beanitos but I haven’t gotten them lately because they’re a little pricey. I keep checking Bulk Barn for them to go on sale. Thanks for the deodarant recommendation!! I’m using a “Kiss My Face” one right now and it’s pretty good. You have reapply once during the day if it does get pretty warm out, but other than that it’s been good!!

Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie August 13, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Love this post! NEED to try those chips! <3

Jerilyn August 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Love LaVanila!! It’s the only vegan deodorant I’ve tried that’s worked (and I gave the DIY method a really good try)

Lou August 13, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I just soaked a big batch of almonds, walnuts, and pepitas yesterday! They are currently “activating” in my turned off, but still kinda warm oven right now. I throw them in everything from yogurt to oatmeal to salads or eat them by the handful! So much easier for the body to digest!!

I’m also loving spinach chips…like kale chips but with spinach! And also, my new favorite kitchen tool, my CHERRY PITTER!!!!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen August 13, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Thanks for the deodorant recommendation! I’ve been trying to switch my beauty products over to more natural ones lately and so I just picked up a Jason’s deodorant to replace the Dove kind that I usually buy. This one is okay but I’m not crazy about it.

Lately I’m loving Rise kombuchas, homemade miso gravy, and Giddy Yoyo chocolate bars!

Ashey August 13, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I have no idea if it is vegan friendly or not, but I am loving the Suuthe by Mari Skin Repair Lotion. I tried it because my oldest son has eczema which I can never seem to fully get rid of. This stuff makes a noticeable difference in the redness of his skin overnight. Amazing stuff. What attracted me to it was the fact that all ingredients are food grade. Pricey, but it lasts and lasts. I got the trial with chapstick and two small jars. We have been using it mostly daily for 2 months now and the first jar isn’t even half gone. I generously lather one cheek and the insides of both his elbows.

JCHokie August 13, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I love the Lavanila deodorant! I’ve been using it for over a year now, my favorite scent is the Vanilla Passionfruit. It’s a really fresh and clean smell.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 14, 2013 at 8:17 am

Thanks for the tip – I’ll have to check out that one!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy! August 13, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Hm soaked almonds; I’ll have to try that!

Things I am loving are: red seedless grapes, farmer’s markets, the new Poppin’ line from indigo, and Chelsea Roff’s indiegogo campaign for her Yoga initiative as a treatment for EDs (http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/yoga-for-eating-disorders)

Katie August 13, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Definitely want to try that lotion!
I’ve loving Beanfields chips in “Nacho”….I think it’s becoming a problem, they are that good! =)

alishadhi August 14, 2013 at 6:15 am

almond is great snack indeed, I am crazy about lentils…well for organic fragrance, deodorant it is impossible to find here in Nepal though I want to use them..anyways great post..

Heather Williams August 14, 2013 at 6:36 am

Hey Angela! Just wanted you to know that this feature you do is one of my favorites! It inspired me to start thinking of things I love more often too:) I love the idea of keeping it on your fridge! I may do that soon! Or, perhaps add a note to my Notes app to my phone of what I’m loving lately:)
I also LOVE soaked almonds and this post inspired me to stick a batch in some water in the fridge now:) THANKS!:) Hope you are well! So glad you’re back!!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health August 14, 2013 at 7:24 am

I love when you do these posts! I’m always interested in all the great things you find.
I’ve had Beanitos that were made in Austin, TX and they were awesome. I wonder if that’s the same brand? The packaging looks different.
I’ve also heard great things about that deodorant! Natural deodorant is always so finicky but everyone has said great things about that one- I have to try it!

Stephanie August 14, 2013 at 7:56 am

I adore the Lavanila deodorant! I have tried just about every single kind of aluminum free deodorant out there, and this is by far my fave!

Meredith August 14, 2013 at 8:52 am

I’m obsessed with soaked almonds right now too! Soooo much better than unsoaked.

Gena August 14, 2013 at 9:04 am

That deodorant is THE BEST. The absolute best. So glad you like it too.

PS — in San Fran right now on a girls’ trip with my mom — just as you were a few months ago! xx

Hannah August 14, 2013 at 9:32 am

Right now I am loving peach season! I’ve been making smoothies, eating them over the sink, and I think I’m going to try my hand at peach jam.

Also, I am in LOVE with homemade cashew milk. Shorter soaking time than almonds, and the cashew flavor is so prevalent. Plus the creaminess is unmatched!

Erena DiGonis August 14, 2013 at 9:41 am

I’m loving all of these too! Especially the soaked almonds. I’ve soaked almonds before for different recipes and always ended up munching on a few as I went and the texture is so much better than regular almonds. And I love the deodorant suggestion – I’ll definitely have to try it out! Thanks!

kendy August 14, 2013 at 10:00 am

Lavanila is the only natural deodorant that does not make me break out! I currently am using the blackberry & lemon scents!

Ellary August 14, 2013 at 10:25 am

I bet you could make your own “beanitos”…give the beans & rice a whirl in the food processor, add a bit of oil to prevent the mix from dehydrating, salt and spread on a baking sheet?? Or do you think it is more complicated than that? You could also make them thicker to withstand the heartier dips ;-) I am not as talented in the kitchen as others, but I may try the DIY version…

Julie (A Case of the Runs) August 14, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I was on a no gluten, dairy, soy, corn, sugar, eggs, peanuts cleanse recently, and the only chip I could have were these Beanitos! They are surprisingly good! There’s also a nice chipotle flavor, though there’s a touch of brown sugar in those….

Jill August 14, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I also love Beanitos! The soaking nuts is something I need to really get on. That and sprouting things. I know once I get into the routine it’ll be no big deal, but just gotta get started. One day ;)

Kate August 14, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Where could I find Beanitos in Toronto?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2013 at 10:02 am

Hi Kate, I bought them at Organic garage in Oakville.

Sera August 14, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I was also inspired to make a version of the “Eat Your Greens” salad with lentils! I added: toasted walnuts, rehydrated sundried tomatoes and currants, sauteed carrots, green peppers, and fuji apple, and I used a dijon/balsamic dressing. Absolutely deeee-lish!

Charlie August 14, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I soak nuts all the time for recipes but never soak them to eat ad a snack. I have to try!

ARCpoint Labs of Cooper City August 14, 2013 at 4:39 pm

What? I’ve never thought about soaking the almonds! lol Definitely going to try this next time, I would enjoy the sweeter taste of them.

Samantha August 14, 2013 at 4:52 pm

OMG you must try the white bean beanito’s! They taste like tortilla chips. I may have finished a whole bag the other day… maybe it’s time for a beanito’s break ;).

Kate Norris August 14, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I’ve got almonds soaking now!!! Thanks for that tip, can’t wait to try them! I’m loving these delicious little almond candies we get at the farmer’s market!!! Those are delicious!

Jenna August 14, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I like your list except for one ingredient! I thought I should point out the fact that the Desert Essence Hand and Body Lotion contains Palm Glycerin. I’m not sure if you’re aware of the situation with the palm oil industry and the loss of orangutan habitats, but if not, it is horrendous. Orangutans are starving to death because of the loss of their habitat, they are burned to death when forests are set on fire to clear them for new palm oil plantations, and they are even being tortured for fun by the villagers when they wander into their villages after being displaced by deforestation. It is so heartbreaking and if you care about animals, it’s important to avoid any products that use palm ingredients….and unfortunately there are a lot. For more info, a good link is: http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/about_forests/deforestation/forest_conversion_agriculture/orang_utans_palm_oil/
and a good website is www.orangutan.org.au.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2013 at 9:57 am

Thanks for the info Jenna. I’m going to contact the company!

Shoba Shrinivasan August 14, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I`ve been using an Indian brand of luxurious ayurvedic products called “Forest Essentials”
http://www.forestessentialsindia.com/. The scents are amazing and completely sourced from essential plants and flowers. They have this Indian rose night cream and a Jasmine Patchouli Day Cream which smells heavenly! Its also free of parabens/sulphates/pthalates etc..My fav go to snack is almonds and walnuts, slightly roasted in the microwave. I also love bath salts from Forest Essentials or ones that I can make my own.

Shobha

Sue Clough August 15, 2013 at 7:50 am

Right now I’m loving anything with peaches and cherries. The peaches have been fabulous at the farmer’s markets. Regarding the deodorant, this might sound weird but I use Arbonne’s FC5 foot cream and LOVE it! It even works for me during my runs and yoga class. Two uses for one product!

Kaycee @ Fitface August 15, 2013 at 7:50 am

mmmm Blackbean chips sound SOOO yummy!

I actually made myself a homemade deoderant a few days ago, and it’s worked so good for me, I would even say it;s BETTER than the drugstore brands I’ve tried. I think I may have to do a post on it sometime soon!

Alisha August 15, 2013 at 9:12 am

5 things I been loving…
-Your site of course!! (Always loving it and thank you for it!)
-KALE…I never thought I would love it so much! Can not get enough in smoothies and salads!
-White bean Beanitos! So yum. Favorite chip hands down.
Raw walnuts and almond together. I’ll have to give the almonds a soak and see how that is!
-Plant based foods! (and all the incredible ways to prepare them)
Thank you for your site and all your incredible recipes!!

Tracy August 15, 2013 at 10:51 am

Love this post, keep more of them coming! Especially love hearing about beauty products.

Aimee August 15, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Purchased the Desert Essence lotion yesterday and just ordered the Lavanila from Amazon! I trust your opinion on ALL THINGS! Lol.

Alex @ Kenzie Life August 16, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Do you know if the deodorant leaves a white residue? That’s the biggest problem I have with stick deodorants. Nothing’s worse than wearing a LBD and having those tell-tale white streaks under your arms!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 17, 2013 at 9:04 am

It’s not a clear stick, so yeah it does leave marks!

Alex @ Kenzie Life August 17, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Thanks for the response, Angela! It still sounds like a good product!

Asuma August 18, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I’m hungry for the lentil dish and those chips!!! Mmmmmm :D

DJ August 19, 2013 at 9:49 am

I also love, love, love the Healthy Deodorant!! Finally a product that works!! I have tried and wasted so much time and money on other deodorants, only to be so disappointed. When I tried the Healthy Deodorant, I was a wee bit skeptical. I was happy to report that this deodorant works- even during exercise!! yeahhhhhhh. FINALLY !Thanks for all of your great tips.
DJ- the Natural Food Nut!

Katie Flores August 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm

OMG! Those Beanitos are to die for! I love to bring those on a trip to the beach to feel a little bad ;) Now if only I could get in the habit of soaking my almonds on a regular basis.

Katie xoxo

Shanna August 20, 2013 at 10:27 am

Angela thank you so much for telling us about soaking the almonds in water. SERIOUSLY I had previously stopped eating almonds cause they were so dry, hard to chew, and hard to digest. I said I’m giving up on eating almonds. Then I tried soaking them and I LOVE THEM. So much better that way. now they’re my daily snack. Thanks a lot! :)

Ashley B. August 20, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Thanks for the soaked almonds idea! I’ve been putting them in my smoothies and salads (much easier to stab with a fork this way ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2013 at 9:40 pm

so glad you enjoy them too :)

Bri August 21, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I just recently discovered Beanitos, and I love them! I am allergic to corn, and it is very hard to find corn-free chips where I live. I don’t eat chips a lot, but when I do, it is almost always with salsa, and Beanitos go perfectly with it! :)

kimmythevegan August 26, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I like these posts! They always give me great ideas to try new things.
I LOVE beanitos!!!!! =D

Amy August 26, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Angela I went out and bought the Lavanilla deodorant today! I bought the vanilla blackberry and it is really really yummy! I’d suggest trying that one or the vanilla lavender :) Thanks for the suggestion!

LG September 11, 2013 at 10:37 am

I had been looking at that deoderant at Sephora…I’ll have to try it out! And the soaked almonds too. Currently my deoderant is the Crystal brand roll-on. It works pretty well for me, most days, and it’s quite inexpensive.

I’m loving my oatmeal/stevia/cinnamon/peanut butter combo for breakfast. So filling and comforting. :0)

Tara September 22, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Angela, for a fragrance-free (and aluminum-free) deodorant I suggest you try Milk of Magnesia. I’ve previously tried homemade coconut oil / baking soda deodorant and found that it wasn’t effective and also gave me a rash. I’ve been using milk of magnesia for the past 4 months – on hot days, stressful days, etc – with complete success (and no stains on clothes either). I’m converted =)

This site gives some information:

I hope this helps others as much as it helped me!

Ruthie May 2, 2014 at 1:38 am

What about using dried figs to replace the dates ( in response to the request for a date substitution).

Selma March 21, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Interesting tips. Will give it a shot.

My hubby just bought me some Lavilin – ever heard of it??