11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

It’s time again for another round up of things I’m loving lately. There’s so much vegan love to go around, so little time!

Hip, hip, hooray for…

1. Bare English & Co. Coco-Mint Lip Balm

Oh my, this lip balm is incredible. Not only does it keep my lips super moisturized (think body butter for your lips), but it’s tea-infused, organic, and vegan, made right here in Toronto! I spotted it at Organic Garage and you can find their list of store locations on their website.

Lip Balm runner up: HURRAW! Lip Balm (also fantastic)

thingsimlovinglately-5013

2. Wide Mouth Funnel

This wide mouth funnel is from Lee Valley and it’s perfect for filling up my mason jars. It also comes with an attachment to make a smaller funnel width. Finally, an easier way to fill up those jars! Thanks to Eric for the thoughtful Lee Valley gifts. :)

thingsimlovinglately-5006

3. Narrow Measuring Spoons

I’ve needed measuring spoons that are narrow enough to fit in spice jars for a while now. These beauties from Lee Valley do the job perfectly.

thingsimlovinglately-4999

4. Beanfield’s Bean & Rice Chips

This was in the VVC swag bag and it was love at first crunch. I promptly inhaled the bag like a chip monster. They are vegan, corn-free (which is almost impossible to find when it comes to chips!), gluten-free, and have a decent amount of fibre and protein. Now I just have to try and locate them around here…

20130525_175638

5. JJ’s Sweets Cocomels

JJ’s Sweets, hailing from Boulder, makes these tasty vegan “cocomels” with a base of coconut milk and other goodies. Not something I would eat frequently, but they are fun for a treat. I purchased these from Food Fight in Portland (see below).

IMG_20130527_184343

6. Kure Juice Bar (Portland)

I squeezed in 3 visits here during my very short stay in Portland. I’m kind of obsessed with the place and the super friendly staff. Kure Juice Bar features fresh juice, smoothies, power shots, and acai bowls! What more could a guy or gal need?

20130524_085947

7. Portobello restaurant (Portland)

My trip buddies Hannah, Lisa, Nicole, and I dined at vegan restaurant Portobello on Friday night. I had the cauliflower “steak” entrée served with a chickpea croquette, fennel, and tangy Chimichurri sauce. Absolute perfection!

IMG_20130524_183358

8. Prasad (Portland)

I dined at Prasad once during my stay, but I would’ve loved to go back to sample more of the menu. Everything sounded right up my alley. Prasad features breakfast, soups, greens, bowls, smoothies, and wraps. You can just feel the love oozing out of this place as soon as you walk in. I had one of their delicious grains, greens, & beans bowls and it was the perfect comfort food on a rainy day.

20130524_111138

9. White Owl Social Club (Portland)

A group of us went to the White Owl on Friday night to kick back and relax. White Owl has many vegan options on the menu (see Build Your Own S’mores below!) and they try to source as many products from local distilleries, wineries, and breweries as possible. A bit too chilly for the large outdoor patio, we cozied up in a roomy indoor booth for most of the night. Lovely atmosphere!

portlandwhiteowl-3717portlandwhiteowl-3716

10. Food Fight Grocery Store (Portland)

This is an all-vegan grocery store in Portland. We laughed, we cried, and we drooled. I also stopped into Herbivore Clothing and bought myself a cute tee!

20130524_174425 20130524_174420

11. Allison’s Gourmet Vegan Toffee

This was my favourite treat in the VVC swag bag – and perhaps, one of the best vegan candies I’ve ever tasted. I know, I know I say that all the time, but this stuff is the real deal. It was my first time trying any of Allison’s Gourmet products and I have to say I was blown away by the quality and flavour. I can’t wait to try more. Thanks Allison!

vegantoffee-

Man, I really wish I had some of that toffee left. Unreal!

1 Britt Avery May 29, 2013

I will have to try these places! I am a new vega (about 1 year) and live in Portland! I am glad we could host your stay. It was so stormy all weekend!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

Yes it was! My “travel-sized” umbrella was not up for the weather. The second time I opened it, the head popped off! lol

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 29, 2013

Firstly, I NEED that wide mouth funnel! I make such a mess when I try to transfer spices into my spice jars and grains into mason jars. And secondly, the Portland restaurants all sound fantastic! You definitely don’t have to twist my arm to go to a juice bar. And we both know how you and I are in grocery stores, so I’m pretty sure I’d require a few hours to explore Food Fight!

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

Yes you do – I can’t tell you how many spills it saves me. Well, I’m sure you know all about that!

5 LisaR @ Who Stole My Baby? May 29, 2013

That lip balm looks like heaven. I go through so much of it here in Colorado.

6 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} May 29, 2013

Your post makes me want to move to Portland! He he he.

I’ve had those Beanfield chips and they are incredible! The nacho version is eerily similar to Doritos. I got them in a Conscious Box I believe…

7 Shannon May 29, 2013

A mason jar funnel is one of the kitchen tools I use most! Maybe even more than my spatula. I never realized how much easier it would make my life.
Also Cocomels! They are the best caramel to ever touch my lips.

8 Christa @ Edible Balance May 29, 2013

I LOVE Hurraw lip balm! I’ll have to search for the Bare one though… I have a bit of a lip balm obsession, but doesn’t every girl?! I also love those narrow measuring spoons, great for small spice jars!
I’ve been following all the posts and Instagram photos of VVC, I wanted to go so badly but Blend took priority. Hopefully I’ll be able to go next year :)

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

I’ve heard good things about the Blend retreat too! Looks like a fun time. :) Hopefully we will cross paths sometime soon!

10 kimmythevegan May 29, 2013

Holy crap – that sounds like an insanely good trip! I’m heading to Portland in a few weeks and I’m glad you mentioned so many great places for me to hit up while I’m there =)

11 Grace Geiger May 29, 2013

YOU have the best product recs! I bought the Flavor Bible based on your review and now I consult it regularly. And narrow measuring spoons? Brilliant. I don’t know why I never thought to look for them before!

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

Thanks Grace! I enjoy spreading the love around :)

13 Tracey May 29, 2013

I absolutely adore all things Portland! There are so many amazing vegan restaurants and even more restaurants that have huge portions of their menus dedicated to vegan options. I could easily eat my way through that city! Glad you had fun.

14 Kim @ vegan mama May 29, 2013

Isn’t that toffee amazing?!

I live in Portland and feel very fortunate that its such a vegan friendly city!

15 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 29, 2013

I want the lip balm and especially the toffee so bad! I wish we had a juice bar around here…you’re so lucky!

16 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } May 29, 2013

I’m going to be in Portland for the first time next month and I’m definitely going to try to make it to the places you shared here – they all look incredible!

17 Sarah May 29, 2013

I wish someone would come up with a “nacho” chip flavor that didn’t include free glutamates (MSG).

I got so excited when I saw the other flavors of Beanfields were MSG free. Nonetheless, my hopes were dashed again. Those contain Maltodextrin and Yeast Extract, which are both hidden sources of MSG. Maybe they are reading (ahem ahem) and will try some alternative flavorings!!!

18 veganlisa May 29, 2013

I think we should open a Prasad in Oakville. I’m willing to clean the juicer.

xoxo

19 Taylor May 29, 2013

This is a lovely series. That lip balm looks yummy and oh my that Vegan truffle!

20 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope May 29, 2013

I’m such a sucker for lip balm – I need to try and find that one! And I love the concept of those measuring spoons. Perfect shape!

21 Joannie May 29, 2013

I just LOVE those “Things I’m loving lately” posts.. And of course, I wanna buy everything ahah!

22 Lauren @ The Highlands Life May 29, 2013

I definitely need that wide mouth funnel. That is genius!! One of those things where you ask yourself why you didn’t think of it first.

23 Nicole May 29, 2013

Love the roundup, Ange! I’ve been trying to think of a way to create a vegan, gluten-free and soy-free Build Your Own S’mores so we can all enjoy the same experience here at home!

24 Laura May 29, 2013

Essence of Life in Kensington Market carries four flavours of Beanfield’s. Make sure you let them know you love them though because they’re thinking of not stocking them anymore.

25 Averie @ Averie Cooks May 29, 2013

I am addicted to lip balm. HAVE to have it on :) And the Bare one looks incredible and I bet smells sooo good!

Narrow measuring spoons to fit into tight spice jars are so helpful!

And Cocomels. Coconut milk + caramel = heaven!

26 Jenni May 29, 2013

Oh my god, why aren’t all measuring spoons narrow enough to fit into spice jars? Seriously, I need those. I don’t know why I haven’t gotten any yet. No more trying to “lightly” pour spices into a measuring spoon over the sink and wasting a ton (and sometimes temporarily staining the white ceramic sink).

27 Amy Gedgaudas May 30, 2013

This is a wonderful list. The narrow measuring spoons are on my “must buy soon list” now. Funny story: I work at Herbivore and saw you come in on Friday, but I was too shy to say hello! Ack! So happy to know you enjoyed your time in Portland and at the conference.

28 Emily May 30, 2013

Looks like you had a great time! I’m interested to know why it’s a bonus not to have corn in a tortilla chip??? Have I missed something?

29 Aimee @ Bainster Adventure May 30, 2013

Some of us can’t have corn. It makes my MS flare something awful. So tortilla chips without corn are heaven-sent for people like me! I’ll have to try them.

30 Emily June 7, 2013

Thanks Aimee for explaining. Hope you manage to find some to try!

31 Malene May 30, 2013

I have been looking for narrow measuring spoons, but all I’ve found have been wide ones. Now I just have to see if I can find this brand here in Europe, or I’ll just have to order them overseas.

32 Johanna May 30, 2013

Did you see the funky beer store/bar next to Portobello? It’s interesting. They have stuff on tap, and ton of bottle, in cases, to buy. It was a little sketchy, but I had a nice pint waiting for Portobello to open. I think that I went there 3 times in 2 weeks.

33 Kori May 30, 2013

I want my kitchen to look like Prasad!! And then I need to fill it with those narrow measuring spoons – I’m going to go hunt them down and buy them for everyone I know!

34 Sarah L. May 30, 2013

Hold the phone – there is an all vegan grocery store in Portland? Those exist?? How cool! I might pick up some of that lip balm at OG – thanks for the recommendation!

35 Ashley May 30, 2013

Perfect timing! I’m going to Portland next month for a few days and am definitely going to try out a few of these places.

36 Danielle May 30, 2013

Great post, for the rest of the day I think I’ll be singing in my head “the dream of the 90’s is alive in Portland” :)

37 Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) May 30, 2013

I make funnels out of paper whenever I need to get something into a jar or refill the spices. Its absolutely ridiculous and I always make a huge mess. I really need to get myself a funnel!

38 angela @ another bite please May 30, 2013

those narrow measuring spoons..those for sure I need. and love seeing the restaurants in Portland…planning a family vaca out there next summer so love the ideas :-)

39 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh May 30, 2013

I must get that funnel!! The ones I have are too small and I end up saying some not so nice things whilst funneling! :-D

We’re contemplating a Portland trip so I appreciate the shout outs to those places. Food Fight just got bookmarked on Yelp!

40 Melissa May 30, 2013

Random travel question, Did you rent a car in Portland? Was it easy to get around without a car or would you recommend having one? Thanks!

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2013

No I didn’t – we walked everywhere! :) It was fairly easy to get around although I can’t comment much on the bus system as I only used it once.

42 LauraD May 30, 2013

Portland looks like such a cool place. Hoping to get there this summer. Thanks for the recommendations. I am sure there are lots of cool food spots there!

43 Shel@PeachyPalate May 30, 2013

Those chips sound amazing! I’m not a big chip fan as I avoid wheat and corn but I’d love to get my hand on those! Would love if we had just one vegan restaurant in Ireland!

44 Brenda Finney May 30, 2013

Your post makes me long for a trip to Portland just to try out your finds!!!!

45 Annabel May 30, 2013

I am heading to Portland in a few weeks. Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. I can’t wait to get there. Compared to most places, Portland is vegan food heaven! ;)

46 Tamara May 30, 2013

sounds like you had a great time – Portland seems like a place to check out for great vegan goodies! I just moved from Toronto to NYC and am loving the vegan options! I cannot believe you can go into a bagel shop and they have hummus and earth’s balance as topping choices and they always have vegan treats at the counter!! There’s even a place near me called ‘Bad Burger’ that you should check out next time your’e here…they have vegan mac and cheese balls! Sounds kinda … weird … but I’m gonna try them soon just because I have to!

47 Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} May 30, 2013

Portland is so veg-friendly, I would love to spend more time there!

48 Erin @ The Grass Skirt May 30, 2013

All of the places in Portland sound awesome- just another reason why it is on my list of places to visit!

49 Jeannine May 30, 2013

I love Portland + The bean and rice chips!

50 Carrie @ Season It Already! May 30, 2013

Such cool places in Portland! I’m in love with those cocomels, too. ;0-)

51 Sarah @ Yogi in Action May 30, 2013

Wow- it seems like Portland is a great place to be a vegan! An all vegan grocery store- that’s amazing! If only every city made it that easy!

I need those skinny measuring spoons- I always end up trying to pour spices out into the spoon…which just results in me pouring spice all over my counter. They would definitely come in handy!

52 Reba - Not So Perfect Life May 30, 2013

Wow Portland sounds like an awesome Vegan friendly city!

53 Mary May 30, 2013

This is awesome! I have been wondering how to get things into mason jars without spilling quinoa, beans and everything else all over the counter! Also, I am moving to Portland in about a month and cannot wait. I went to go to Portobello the last time I was there, and it is closed on Sundays! I will definitely hit it up and your other suggestions when I move. Did you go to Voodoo Doughnuts? I had to ask my boyfriend a million times, “I said VEGAN, right?” The vegan doughnuts are insane!

54 Caitlin May 30, 2013

those narrow measuring spoons are PERFECT! i always have to use my 1/4 tsp to get into spice jars, it would be nice to have these so if i need a tsp or more, i can get it in there, rather than measuring out 4 1/4 tsp ;)

55 kendy May 30, 2013

The Cocomels are good. I like the coffee and the sea salt flavors.

I am off to try and find the Bare balms now!

56 LeeAnn May 30, 2013

How come the girl behind the counter at Prasad has no head? lol

57 Rachel June 3, 2013

I noticed that too, and wondered if I was missing something, somehow… I wanted to look through the comments to see if anyone else noticed! Isn’t that a funny photo?

58 nicole May 30, 2013

white owl social club’s build-your-own-s’mores are vegan? i’ve never found a s’mores treat in a restaurant that had vegan marshmallows!

59 Kara May 30, 2013

Wait…..what happened to the woman’s head in picture 8? Thanks for the laugh. I assume that she is just super hunched over but it does look pretty funny…

60 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan May 30, 2013

Those s’mores are calling my name! Oh man, now I want to visit Portland badly, thanks for the insight!

61 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy May 30, 2013

oooh a new chapstick to try!! :)

62 Aimee @ Bainster Adventure May 30, 2013

I have to get that funnel! You wouldn’t believe how much stuff I spill. And I also, apparently, need to move to Portland. Those restaurants look amazing! If there were more of those, people wouldn’t associate veganism with deprivation. (You’ve heard it: “I have a friend who’s vegan- all she ever eats when we go out is lettuce and a baked potato with nothing on it.”)

63 Amber May 30, 2013

I was in Portland last October to run the Marathon….loved it! I ate at Portobello and Prasad as well. The “cheese” plate and ravioli at Portobello were delicious! Also visited Food Fight, bought some clothes at Herbivore and got a tattoo at Scapegoat (vegan, of course). Portland is an awesome city for a vegan!

64 Shundara@SavyNaturalista May 30, 2013

Gosh I am loving all 11 of the things now I am going to half to make a few purchases! I was not planing on any but that wide mouth funnel and chips are defiantly calling my name.. I am glad you had a blast in Portland..

65 Sarah D. May 30, 2013

My husband and I are heading out on a cross country road trip this summer, so we’ll be sure to check out some of the vegan shops/restaurants in Portland you mentioned!

66 Kaylee May 30, 2013

Hey Angela, if you are looking for corn-free chips in the Oakville area, try ‘Beanitos’. Longo’s carries them and they are amazing! They’re corn and gluten free (2 flavours aren’t vegan I think, but 3 are). The vegan ones are made from pinto beans, black beans and navy beans (the navy bean ones taste just like fried/baked corn chips!)

That toffee looks amazing. I wish I could try some of that :D Toffee is my weakness and its so frustrating that there aren’t more dairy-free versions made from coconut milk around. Hopefully soon.

67 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 30, 2013

I am loving those measuring spoons! I always make a huge mess whenever I am measuring spices :(.

68 Alex May 30, 2013

I was excited to see that one of the candies was from Boulder since I’m going back for another degree there in the fall :) I love favorite things posts!

69 Allison Rivers Samson/Allison's Gourmet May 30, 2013

Hi Angela! Thanks so much for mentioning our toffee in your post. Abso thrilled you loved it so! Your blog is gorgeous and how the heck did we not meet?! xo

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2013

I know, I can’t believe our paths didn’t cross – next time for sure! Thanks for the yummy sample :)

71 Michele May 31, 2013

Thanks for this list. Who knew Lee Valley had a wide mouth funnel and narrow measuring spoons? Both on my list to get now. I thought they just had tools!
And we are driving through Portland this summer so will definitely have to check out some of these places especially Food Fight :)

72 Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 31, 2013

Oh, those lip balms sound incredible — I’m a bona-fide lip balm/chap stick addict, so I’m going to have to keep an eye out for this stuff. :)

I love all the Portland establishments, too — they sound fantastic!

73 Kailee Larson May 31, 2013

I don’t know if someone has already posted a place to find those chips, but they have them at Rabbit Food Grocery and you can order them online!

74 Kim May 31, 2013

Hi Angela, I live in Dayton, Ohio. Opened my krogers (grocery store) coupon mailer, and guess who was inside, with recipes….YOU! I was so excited, I had to show my husband. Congrats! Did you know you would be featured? I can send you pics of you in the flyer if you like, send me your email address.
Vegan Love!
Kim

75 Kim May 31, 2013

Meant to add, Been following you and making your recipes for 2 years now. My DH and I have green monsters everyday, use em as a meal replacement. Thanks for all your awesome recipes, keep em coming….
Kim

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 1, 2013

Wow, 2 years? That is fantastic! thanks for trying out so many recipes :)

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 1, 2013

Hey Kim! yay, so glad you saw it! I was so happy to be featured in there and I hope to see it soon :) I think they will send me some, but if not, I may have to take you up on your offer! hah. Thanks for your support :)

78 Sherry May 31, 2013

Just saw that your cashew cream was quoted in the May2013 edition of Women’s Health magazine. Congrats! Nice to see a Canadian girl represented. Love your blog and happy to see you getting more recognition and press.

79 Sherry May 31, 2013

Oh ya and I forgot to mention that I’m totally going to buy that wide mouth funnel from Lee Valley

80 Suzanne June 1, 2013

great ideas Angela! And I had no idea Portland had so much to offer – makes me want to get there!
Love the wide mouth funnel – I had one which somehow got lost – and I am always needing it – have had a hard time finding another one – so thank you.
Glad you had such an energizing and inspiring experience at the conference :)

81 Livi June 1, 2013

Oh my gosh! My sister and I went to Prasad when we were in Portland 2 weeks ago and loved it. I wish I had brought my yoga clothes to take a class!

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 1, 2013

me too :) so cool u got to go there too!

83 Shivangi June 1, 2013

Hello Angela,
I was looking for a Vegan blog and found yours. You would not believe that I was so hooked that I started from the very last page of this blog to the first! I may sound like a crazy stalked but believe me I am not ;).
Being an Indian, it was really hard to become a Vegan. We have this firm belief that without milk you are depriving yourself of health! Your blog has been a great support system for me and you have helped me a lot with great cooking ideas.
It was a nice surprise to see Lentils, Rajma and Dal makhni on your blog :).
Take care!

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 1, 2013

Hi Shivangi, Aw thank you for such a lovely note! That means so much to me. :) Take care, angela

85 Suzanne Poldon June 1, 2013

Oooh, now I’m begging for a trip to Portland! Looks like such a veg-friendsly city!

86 Christine @ Gotta Eat Green June 1, 2013

Wow Portland sounds amazing for vegans!! Those cocomels look delicious, are they sold in Canada?

87 Bill June 1, 2013

That counter-top is great for photographs!
What kind of material is it, and is it in a kitchen?

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 3, 2013

Hi Bill, It’s a tile slab that my husband picked up from me (a scrap piece) :)

89 Tonia June 1, 2013

Just finding your blog and LOVING it! Your recipes look AMAZING! Can’t wait to try them all!!!

90 Zoe@loseweightandgainhealth June 2, 2013

Living in England I can not try out most of your 11 things but they made interesting reading and now Portland has been added to my very long list of places to go. I LOVED your photo of the narrow measuring spoons. Your photography has become so professional. That photo could be in a magazine for sure.

91 erin June 2, 2013

After my trip to Seattle in the spring, I wished I had more time to spend in the PNW — your post makes me want to visit Portland now (more than ever). Thanks for the cool tips on the Lee Valley measuring spoons — I’ve been on the hunt a good set and this just may do the trick!

92 Fashion-isha June 2, 2013

You found the most amazing things. The narrow measuring spoons are my favorite! How annoying is it when you make a mess and waste so many spices with wide spoons!?

I hope you’re enjoying your weekend!
xo
Sharon

93 Melanie Chisnall June 3, 2013

Oh wow, Portland sounds like somewhere I need to put on my bucket list to visit! I had a friend who told me all about it, but until I saw your photos and read about the different healthy vegan restaurants, I had no idea! I stopped eating meat at the beginning of the year and have been gluten-free since last year May and I’ve never felt better!! So glad I stumbled across your blog today. :)

94 AdrienneCarolyn June 3, 2013

Angela you can get the Beanfield’s chips at both of the larger Organic food stores on Kensington St. in Kensington Market! They have a few different flavors! Summer = chips and salsa :-)

95 Tiff June 3, 2013

Why can’t all measuring spoons be narrow? Brilliant!

96 Amanda Attard June 4, 2013

I love your blog…I always look forward to your posts and trying out your recipes. So, I’ve nominated you for a shine on award http://amandaattard.com/?p=306&preview=true

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2013

Thank you Amanda!

98 Matt G. June 4, 2013

Speaking of bean chips, do you have Beanitos up north? We love them. Ha – there’s a warning on the bag – “do not eat the whole bag if this is your first time eating these chips”. Oops…we sat at a car wash and downed pretty much the whole thing. No ill effects, thankfully.

99 Kerjan June 4, 2013

Wow! Portland sounds like such an amazing and health-coscious city!

And that coco-mint lip balm looks so soft. I’m always on the search for new organic chapsticks and other beauty products! Thanks for the tips!

100 Tammy June 4, 2013

I’ve got those exact measuring spoons…. highly recommend!!

101 Wendy Irene June 4, 2013

I LOVE Portobello restaurant in Portland! I can’t wait to go back. Thank you so much for sharing all the great suggestions. I’m excited just reading and can’t wait to try some of them :)

102 Jill June 4, 2013

I like the Beanfields chips too! I recently found bags of unseasoned/unprocessed bean & soy chips in a health food store (kind of looked like plain pop chips), so I have been making my own little trail mix with those and just adding my own spices and mix-ins. This week I went the sweet route and added in peanuts, coconut, choc chips, and raisins. good snack to bring to work!

103 Caitlin June 4, 2013

I thought the make your own s’mores was such a great concept. Wish I’d tried it!

104 Sonal June 5, 2013

Wow Portland looks so cool! So many vegan options! :) That funnel for the mason jars is genius, I have to find one of those !

105 Faith June 7, 2013

YAY for Prasad! My friends own that place and they are a great set of young, female entrepreneurs.

106 Maddie June 7, 2013

Is there something going on with the picture of #8? It looks like a headless woman is behind the blender. It’s really freaking me out. Lol.

107 Marilyn @ Lipgloss+Spandex June 8, 2013

I’m from the Portland area and I’m embarrassed to say that I haven’t been to any of those places! Now I’ll have some options next time I need to think of a place to eat.

108 jennifer June 9, 2013

where did you stay in Portland? We are headed there in July and need a recommendation.

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2013

Hi Jennifer, We stayed in Hotel 50 – it was decent, but I think I would explore other options next time.

110 jennifer June 10, 2013

Thanks! I’ll keep searching! REALLY appreciate your reply!

111 Brooke June 12, 2013

Next time you’re in PDX you’ve gotta go get brunch/lunch (before 5pm) at Paradox Cafe on Belmont. Order the BBQ Tempeh Cashew Salad and enjoy being in heaven.

112 Merle June 12, 2013

I am obsessed with the Kure … sooooo good. Fortunately (or unfortunately for my wallet) I work in the same building. At least twice a week that is where I land for lunch. My favorite is the “Bowl of the Gods” yummy

113 David June 18, 2013

Didn’t those marshmallows contain gelatin? I haven’t ever come across any that didn’t…

Nice round up!

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

Hi David,

There aren’t any marshmallows in this post. ;) Caramels, yes! Try Dandies brand for vegan marshmallows – there are a couple others too like Sweet and Sara brand. Enjoy!

115 David June 18, 2013

Oh, I thought the things being toasted at the White Owl Social Club were marshmallows?

Thanks for the recommendations :)

116 Kerstin June 26, 2013

Thank you for this post! I’m a vegan living in Portland but it always seems that I overlook these kinds of places!!!

117 Natasha July 11, 2013

Angela — I have a very serious question about #8. Where is her head!! I literally could not stop staring at the picture made for a good laugh on a rather boring day.

PS also obsessed with Lee Valley I have had their measuring cups and spoons for YEARS and you will not love them any less I promise.

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2013

LOL omg I cannot believe I didn’t see that!!! dying!

119 anna September 7, 2013

hey!
ambrosia in thornhill has all the beanfields flavours…yay!

120 Nathalie May 14, 2014

Hi!
I’m already a long time reader (reading since my teens, now in my twenties) but never really comment. I’ve transitioned from being vegetarian to vegan for about 7 months now and have never felt better. However, I can’t seem to find any nice places to eat out. I’m going on a weekend getaway and was wondering if you had any tips on how to navigate nutritious vegan food during my stay. I already checked and there are no vegan restaurants in the city where I’m staying. What would you do?