11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

It’s time again for another round up of things I’m loving lately. There’s so much vegan love to go around, so little time!

Hip, hip, hooray for…

1. Bare English & Co. Coco-Mint Lip Balm

Oh my, this lip balm is incredible. Not only does it keep my lips super moisturized (think body butter for your lips), but it’s tea-infused, organic, and vegan, made right here in Toronto! I spotted it at Organic Garage and you can find their list of store locations on their website.

Lip Balm runner up: HURRAW! Lip Balm (also fantastic)

thingsimlovinglately 5013   11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

2. Wide Mouth Funnel

This wide mouth funnel is from Lee Valley and it’s perfect for filling up my mason jars. It also comes with an attachment to make a smaller funnel width. Finally, an easier way to fill up those jars! Thanks to Eric for the thoughtful Lee Valley gifts. :)

thingsimlovinglately 5006   11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

3. Narrow Measuring Spoons

I’ve needed measuring spoons that are narrow enough to fit in spice jars for a while now. These beauties from Lee Valley do the job perfectly.

thingsimlovinglately 4999   11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

4. Beanfield’s Bean & Rice Chips

This was in the VVC swag bag and it was love at first crunch. I promptly inhaled the bag like a chip monster. They are vegan, corn-free (which is almost impossible to find when it comes to chips!), gluten-free, and have a decent amount of fibre and protein. Now I just have to try and locate them around here…

20130525 175638   11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

5. JJ’s Sweets Cocomels

JJ’s Sweets, hailing from Boulder, makes these tasty vegan “cocomels” with a base of coconut milk and other goodies. Not something I would eat frequently, but they are fun for a treat. I purchased these from Food Fight in Portland (see below).

IMG 20130527 184343   11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

6. Kure Juice Bar (Portland)

I squeezed in 3 visits here during my very short stay in Portland. I’m kind of obsessed with the place and the super friendly staff. Kure Juice Bar features fresh juice, smoothies, power shots, and acai bowls! What more could a guy or gal need?

20130524 085947   11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

7. Portobello restaurant (Portland)

My trip buddies Hannah, Lisa, Nicole, and I dined at vegan restaurant Portobello on Friday night. I had the cauliflower “steak” entrée served with a chickpea croquette, fennel, and tangy Chimichurri sauce. Absolute perfection!

IMG 20130524 183358   11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

8. Prasad (Portland)

I dined at Prasad once during my stay, but I would’ve loved to go back to sample more of the menu. Everything sounded right up my alley. Prasad features breakfast, soups, greens, bowls, smoothies, and wraps. You can just feel the love oozing out of this place as soon as you walk in. I had one of their delicious grains, greens, & beans bowls and it was the perfect comfort food on a rainy day.

20130524 111138   11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

9. White Owl Social Club (Portland)

A group of us went to the White Owl on Friday night to kick back and relax. White Owl has many vegan options on the menu (see Build Your Own S’mores below!) and they try to source as many products from local distilleries, wineries, and breweries as possible. A bit too chilly for the large outdoor patio, we cozied up in a roomy indoor booth for most of the night. Lovely atmosphere!

portlandwhiteowl 3717   11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!portlandwhiteowl 3716   11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

10. Food Fight Grocery Store (Portland)

This is an all-vegan grocery store in Portland. We laughed, we cried, and we drooled. I also stopped into Herbivore Clothing and bought myself a cute tee!

20130524 174425   11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition! 20130524 174420   11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

11. Allison’s Gourmet Vegan Toffee

This was my favourite treat in the VVC swag bag – and perhaps, one of the best vegan candies I’ve ever tasted. I know, I know I say that all the time, but this stuff is the real deal. It was my first time trying any of Allison’s Gourmet products and I have to say I was blown away by the quality and flavour. I can’t wait to try more. Thanks Allison!

vegantoffee    11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

Man, I really wish I had some of that toffee left. Unreal!

Britt Avery May 29, 2013

I will have to try these places! I am a new vega (about 1 year) and live in Portland! I am glad we could host your stay. It was so stormy all weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

Yes it was! My “travel-sized” umbrella was not up for the weather. The second time I opened it, the head popped off! lol

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 29, 2013

Firstly, I NEED that wide mouth funnel! I make such a mess when I try to transfer spices into my spice jars and grains into mason jars. And secondly, the Portland restaurants all sound fantastic! You definitely don’t have to twist my arm to go to a juice bar. And we both know how you and I are in grocery stores, so I’m pretty sure I’d require a few hours to explore Food Fight!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

Yes you do – I can’t tell you how many spills it saves me. Well, I’m sure you know all about that!

LisaR @ Who Stole My Baby? May 29, 2013

That lip balm looks like heaven. I go through so much of it here in Colorado.

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} May 29, 2013

Your post makes me want to move to Portland! He he he.

I’ve had those Beanfield chips and they are incredible! The nacho version is eerily similar to Doritos. I got them in a Conscious Box I believe…

Shannon May 29, 2013

A mason jar funnel is one of the kitchen tools I use most! Maybe even more than my spatula. I never realized how much easier it would make my life.
Also Cocomels! They are the best caramel to ever touch my lips.

Christa @ Edible Balance May 29, 2013

I LOVE Hurraw lip balm! I’ll have to search for the Bare one though… I have a bit of a lip balm obsession, but doesn’t every girl?! I also love those narrow measuring spoons, great for small spice jars!
I’ve been following all the posts and Instagram photos of VVC, I wanted to go so badly but Blend took priority. Hopefully I’ll be able to go next year :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

I’ve heard good things about the Blend retreat too! Looks like a fun time. :) Hopefully we will cross paths sometime soon!

kimmythevegan May 29, 2013

Holy crap – that sounds like an insanely good trip! I’m heading to Portland in a few weeks and I’m glad you mentioned so many great places for me to hit up while I’m there =)

Grace Geiger May 29, 2013

YOU have the best product recs! I bought the Flavor Bible based on your review and now I consult it regularly. And narrow measuring spoons? Brilliant. I don’t know why I never thought to look for them before!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

Thanks Grace! I enjoy spreading the love around :)

Tracey May 29, 2013

I absolutely adore all things Portland! There are so many amazing vegan restaurants and even more restaurants that have huge portions of their menus dedicated to vegan options. I could easily eat my way through that city! Glad you had fun.

Kim @ vegan mama May 29, 2013

Isn’t that toffee amazing?!

I live in Portland and feel very fortunate that its such a vegan friendly city!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 29, 2013

I want the lip balm and especially the toffee so bad! I wish we had a juice bar around here…you’re so lucky!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } May 29, 2013

I’m going to be in Portland for the first time next month and I’m definitely going to try to make it to the places you shared here – they all look incredible!

Sarah May 29, 2013

I wish someone would come up with a “nacho” chip flavor that didn’t include free glutamates (MSG).

I got so excited when I saw the other flavors of Beanfields were MSG free. Nonetheless, my hopes were dashed again. Those contain Maltodextrin and Yeast Extract, which are both hidden sources of MSG. Maybe they are reading (ahem ahem) and will try some alternative flavorings!!!

veganlisa May 29, 2013

I think we should open a Prasad in Oakville. I’m willing to clean the juicer.

xoxo

Taylor May 29, 2013

This is a lovely series. That lip balm looks yummy and oh my that Vegan truffle!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope May 29, 2013

I’m such a sucker for lip balm – I need to try and find that one! And I love the concept of those measuring spoons. Perfect shape!

Joannie May 29, 2013

I just LOVE those “Things I’m loving lately” posts.. And of course, I wanna buy everything ahah!

Lauren @ The Highlands Life May 29, 2013

I definitely need that wide mouth funnel. That is genius!! One of those things where you ask yourself why you didn’t think of it first.

Nicole May 29, 2013

Love the roundup, Ange! I’ve been trying to think of a way to create a vegan, gluten-free and soy-free Build Your Own S’mores so we can all enjoy the same experience here at home!

Laura May 29, 2013

Essence of Life in Kensington Market carries four flavours of Beanfield’s. Make sure you let them know you love them though because they’re thinking of not stocking them anymore.

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 29, 2013

I am addicted to lip balm. HAVE to have it on :) And the Bare one looks incredible and I bet smells sooo good!

Narrow measuring spoons to fit into tight spice jars are so helpful!

And Cocomels. Coconut milk + caramel = heaven!

Jenni May 29, 2013

Oh my god, why aren’t all measuring spoons narrow enough to fit into spice jars? Seriously, I need those. I don’t know why I haven’t gotten any yet. No more trying to “lightly” pour spices into a measuring spoon over the sink and wasting a ton (and sometimes temporarily staining the white ceramic sink).

Amy Gedgaudas May 30, 2013

This is a wonderful list. The narrow measuring spoons are on my “must buy soon list” now. Funny story: I work at Herbivore and saw you come in on Friday, but I was too shy to say hello! Ack! So happy to know you enjoyed your time in Portland and at the conference.

Emily May 30, 2013

Looks like you had a great time! I’m interested to know why it’s a bonus not to have corn in a tortilla chip??? Have I missed something?

Aimee @ Bainster Adventure May 30, 2013

Some of us can’t have corn. It makes my MS flare something awful. So tortilla chips without corn are heaven-sent for people like me! I’ll have to try them.

Emily June 7, 2013

Thanks Aimee for explaining. Hope you manage to find some to try!

Malene May 30, 2013

I have been looking for narrow measuring spoons, but all I’ve found have been wide ones. Now I just have to see if I can find this brand here in Europe, or I’ll just have to order them overseas.

Johanna May 30, 2013

Did you see the funky beer store/bar next to Portobello? It’s interesting. They have stuff on tap, and ton of bottle, in cases, to buy. It was a little sketchy, but I had a nice pint waiting for Portobello to open. I think that I went there 3 times in 2 weeks.

Kori May 30, 2013

I want my kitchen to look like Prasad!! And then I need to fill it with those narrow measuring spoons – I’m going to go hunt them down and buy them for everyone I know!

Sarah L. May 30, 2013

Hold the phone – there is an all vegan grocery store in Portland? Those exist?? How cool! I might pick up some of that lip balm at OG – thanks for the recommendation!

Ashley May 30, 2013

Perfect timing! I’m going to Portland next month for a few days and am definitely going to try out a few of these places.

Danielle May 30, 2013

Great post, for the rest of the day I think I’ll be singing in my head “the dream of the 90′s is alive in Portland” :)

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) May 30, 2013

I make funnels out of paper whenever I need to get something into a jar or refill the spices. Its absolutely ridiculous and I always make a huge mess. I really need to get myself a funnel!

angela @ another bite please May 30, 2013

those narrow measuring spoons..those for sure I need. and love seeing the restaurants in Portland…planning a family vaca out there next summer so love the ideas :-)

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh May 30, 2013

I must get that funnel!! The ones I have are too small and I end up saying some not so nice things whilst funneling! :-D

We’re contemplating a Portland trip so I appreciate the shout outs to those places. Food Fight just got bookmarked on Yelp!

Melissa May 30, 2013

Random travel question, Did you rent a car in Portland? Was it easy to get around without a car or would you recommend having one? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2013

No I didn’t – we walked everywhere! :) It was fairly easy to get around although I can’t comment much on the bus system as I only used it once.

LauraD May 30, 2013

Portland looks like such a cool place. Hoping to get there this summer. Thanks for the recommendations. I am sure there are lots of cool food spots there!

Shel@PeachyPalate May 30, 2013

Those chips sound amazing! I’m not a big chip fan as I avoid wheat and corn but I’d love to get my hand on those! Would love if we had just one vegan restaurant in Ireland!

Brenda Finney May 30, 2013

Your post makes me long for a trip to Portland just to try out your finds!!!!

Annabel May 30, 2013

I am heading to Portland in a few weeks. Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. I can’t wait to get there. Compared to most places, Portland is vegan food heaven! ;)

Tamara May 30, 2013

sounds like you had a great time – Portland seems like a place to check out for great vegan goodies! I just moved from Toronto to NYC and am loving the vegan options! I cannot believe you can go into a bagel shop and they have hummus and earth’s balance as topping choices and they always have vegan treats at the counter!! There’s even a place near me called ‘Bad Burger’ that you should check out next time your’e here…they have vegan mac and cheese balls! Sounds kinda … weird … but I’m gonna try them soon just because I have to!

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} May 30, 2013

Portland is so veg-friendly, I would love to spend more time there!

Page 1 of 3123»