7 Portable Travel Snack Ideas + Vida Vegan Con Fun

I somehow managed to do two things that scare the living daylights out of me – travel alone long-distance and engage in a very large social setting where I don’t know many people. For some, this is no big deal, but when you have bad anxiety the apprehension can feel crippling at times. I made the decision to work through the fear step by step of my trip. Of course, it wasn’t nearly as hard as I imagined it to be and I had a great time hanging out with many new and long-time blog buddies at the Vida Vegan Con. As my lovely roomie Hannah said, you can only conquer anxiety by doing exactly what you are afraid of. Isn’t that the truth. Nothing feels better than doing something you originally didn’t believe you could do. It’s so empowering. The beauty is that each conquered step makes the next one a bit easier.

20130525 134547   7 Portable Travel Snack Ideas + Vida Vegan Con Fun

The love and attention to detail that was poured into this conference was so apparent. I don’t think I’ve ever been in a more welcoming, friendly setting with a better group of people. The good times were a rollin’ and the time went by much too fast. I met a lot of amazing bloggers and authors, but there were still so many I didn’t get a chance to say hello to or even get a photo with. Next time. :)

VVCphotocollage   7 Portable Travel Snack Ideas + Vida Vegan Con Fun

While I’m getting caught up on work and getting ready for another trip this week, I thought I’d show you some simple snacks that I packed for my flights. This list is hardly the final word on airplane snacking, but it’s simply a glimpse of what I enjoyed during this particular trip. I’d love to hear your own suggestions below!

When I pack food for a flight these are the things I try to keep in mind:

1. Hydration (high-water foods sneak in extra water)

2. Protein for satiety

3. Foods that take a long time to eat like sliced vegetables or firm dried fruit.

4. Crunchy foods to keep the mouth busy when bored

5. Things that hold up well and don’t fall apart or bruise

Here are some of the things I packed:

1. Grapes

I stuffed a zip bag to the brim with grapes for my flight from Toronto to Vancouver and it was honestly one of my favourite snacks of the entire trip! Grapes are so hydrating and hold up very well – two major points, plus they just taste great. Watermelon chunks or pineapple would also be a super hydrating option if grapes aren’t your thing.

Side note: When I eat fruit during travel I try to do so on an empty stomach. I’ve made the mistake of eating fruit after a protein-rich snack on a flight and I suffered a lot of stomach pain (fruit breaks down much faster than protein). When I make a point to eat fruit on an empty stomach, I rarely have issues, but of course everyone’s tummy will be different!

IMG 20130523 131229   7 Portable Travel Snack Ideas + Vida Vegan Con Fun

2. Dried Fruit

Speaking of fruit, I try not to pack fruit that bruises easily like delicate fresh pears. Dried pear slices (or any other dried fruit) can be a great option. I found this bag of dried pears at a store called Food Fight in Portland. They are super chewy and took a really long time to eat which is a major plus for someone who is a boredom snacker. Of course, you can also make your own dried fruit at home using a dehydrator or an oven on the lowest setting.

20130526 092948   7 Portable Travel Snack Ideas + Vida Vegan Con Fun

3. Coconut Water

I drank this coconut water before heading home on my first flight yesterday and I felt so hydrated during the flight. Coconut water isn’t something I normally buy, but since I was fairly dehydrated on this trip I knew it would do me a lot of good!

20130526 091812   7 Portable Travel Snack Ideas + Vida Vegan Con Fun

4. Roasted Chickpeas (or other crunchy crackers like Mary’s Crackers)

I also found these protein-packed gems at Food Fight in Portland and saved them for the flights home. They are super crunchy (to the point where you feel like you might break a tooth in some cases!) and also take a long time to eat. My only complaint is that the pepper flavour is really spicy and I would’ve preferred a less spicy flavour for traveling. My mouth was on fire eating these! Not ideal. You can also make your own roasted chickpeas at home, but they will turn soft very quickly. A reader let me know that this product is also available at Noah’s in Toronto – so keep your eyes peeled!

20130526 092813   7 Portable Travel Snack Ideas + Vida Vegan Con Fun

5. Protein Bars or Energy Bites (homemade or store-bought)

I always have a protein bar tucked away in my purse when I travel. Sometimes I just pick up a couple vegan bars from the store to stash in my purse or if I have time, I make them before the trip. Shown below are my Last Minute Protein Energy Bars or you can try my recent Banana Bread Protein Bars too. Both are fairly delicate though and shouldn’t be in very hot temperatures or stuffed into a suitcase. If you are looking for raw energy bite recipes try my Chocolate Chip Cookie Larabar Knockoffs or my Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites, to name a couple good ones. Energy bites/bars are great when you are starving and you need a burst of energy…or bust.

veganproteinenergybar 4728   7 Portable Travel Snack Ideas + Vida Vegan Con Fun

6. Super Power Chia Bread

Ok, scratch what I said about the grapes. This bread was hands down my favourite snack of the entire trip! I’m in love. I actually wished I brought a double batch with me because I ran out of the bread by Saturday and would’ve loved to have some for my flights home! It held up perfectly and was great paired with hummus, packets of almond butter, or just enjoyed plain. I got into my hotel late on Thursday night and it was the first snack that I reached for to tame the hunger. Worked like a charm.

Many of you have already made this bread and left some great comments with your adaptations, so be sure to check out the original post and comments for ideas! I just got home last night and I’ve already made a double batch. I have issues.

Superpowerchiabread 4958   7 Portable Travel Snack Ideas + Vida Vegan Con Fun

7. Sliced Cucumbers & Carrots + Hummus

This post wouldn’t be complete without sliced vegetables! I packed this hydrating snack in my bag on the way to Portland. I peeled and sliced an entire English cucumber as well as a few carrots (to make two stuffed zip bags). Then I brought along a container of hummus to go with it. Keep in mind most spreads like hummus have to be under 100 ml when going through security (I, of course, went WAY over and they threw half of it out….*sad face*). Sliced veggies also take a long time to eat and keep me a happy traveler during a long flight.

I’m off to visit San Francisco with my mom and sister Kristi later this week (we’re celebrating our birthdays!), so I’ll be sure to pack a bunch of these snacks once again. If anyone has any suggestions on what to see and do (or skip) while in San Fran I’d love your tips!

Wishing you safe & happy travels this summer and beyond.

Abby @ Change of Pace May 27, 2013

Congratulations on successfully challenging your fears! I’m happy it worked out so well and that you met so many great people!
Love the point about taking something crunchy for when you’re bored. That is so me!

Karen May 27, 2013

While I love that you’re being healthy and frugal and not buying expensive and salt-laden airplane food, I had a momentary cringe at being the seat-neighbour of someone munching on chewy dried fruit (smack smack smack) and hard snacks (crunch crunch crunch) the whole way – Although I am sure you were polite and tried to keep your eating noises to a minimum, and your seat-neighbour was smart enough to bring noise-cancelling headphones!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

hah…I know what you mean. I try to eat VERY discretely on airplanes. Plus, the awful smell of the mixed meat sub is much more offensive than a carrot or dried pear any day. ;)

Conrad Jones November 21, 2013

Hi Angela,
I’m wondering if you can give me some advice on becoming a Vegan? I’ve been told it’s expensive but l disagree, so please could you get in contact.

Regards
Conrad Jones

Carol January 1, 2014

Going Vegan is not expensive like rumors state. You actually save quite a bit of money not buying animal products. ORGANIC is more expensive than conventional eating, but that’s because you have a crop that’s been meticulously cared for instead of blindly mass produced. And if you ditch all animal products and try to go as low processed as possible (no boxed mac and “cheeze” or fake meat products), you will find that you save a lot of money on your shopping bill. It may take some extra time in the kitchen, but believe me..health wise and taste wise, it’s worth it!

Lauren @ The Highlands Life May 27, 2013

Grapes and granola bars are my go to for traveling. Easy to grab and munch for sure.

Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 27, 2013

Hooray and congrats on challenging — and conquering — not one but two big fears! As a fellow anxiety-sufferer, I can totally relate to how crippling those worries can be. (I find that the anticipation is always the worst part, and that once I’m actually *in* whatever situation I’d feared so much I start to feel better.) I’m sending a HUGE high-five from afar!

Your snack suggestions are great, too. I usually go for a home-made sandwich (since I have a raging case of Celiac disease, I can’t trust sandwiches that come from pretty much anywhere but my own kitchen) and some veggie sticks and gluten-free granola/snack bars. That said, those dried chickpeas and dried fruit sound fantastic. :)

Alanna May 27, 2013

Hi Angela,

So glad you had a good trip and took matters into your own hands against the fears you mentioned. I am currently enjoying a slice of your chia bread along with a bowl of homemade soup — soup because it is still chilly here on the East Coast (I`m in Nova Scotia)! Not that I object to homemade, steaming veggie soup . . . the weather that prompted me to make it, though, is another matter altogether.

I have never been to San Francisco myself, but my sister loved Alcatraz. If historic prisons are your thing, got to check it out. ;) Have a good trip.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2013

Hi Alanna, So glad you tried out the bread! I imagine it would go really well with soup. :) Yes, hopefully we will get to Alcatraz!

Olivia May 27, 2013

Woo hoo! So happy you are coming to my lovely city :)

I am procrastinating my yoga right now (which I think is probably the worst thing to procrastinate) so here is my quick and dirty guide to my hometown:

See:
-The ocean- hike Land’s End
-Chinatown
-North Beach — hike up to Coit Tower and then take the elevator up (worth it!)
-Dolores Park in the Mission (plus nearby vegan Mexican restaurant Gracias Madre topped off with BiRite vegan chocolate coconut ice cream)
-Bike across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito
-Golden Gate Park (plus if you love museums California Academy of Sciences and the DeYoung museum are in the park)
-For big brand store shopping go to Union Square, for vintage shopping go to Haight Ashbury, for adorable boutique shopping go to Union Street in the Marina

Skip:
-Alcatraz and Pier 39
-Any of the hop-on, hop off buses (you’ll freeze!)

Food:
-Pepples vegan doughnuts in the Ferry Building
-BiRite snacks and ice creams
-Rainbow Grocery store in SoMa (a must)
-Juices and light meals at Plant
-(Already mentioned) Gracias Madre in the Mission
-Fancy foods Millennium
-Casual food Herbivore
-Source

Have fun!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2013

Thanks Olivia, this is super helpful. :) Lucky you for living in SF!

Michaela May 27, 2013

While you’re at BiRite, there’s a really hole-in-the-wall place on Mission street called Dante’s Weird Fish, 3-4 blocks away. Relatively cheap good eats; super, super vegan friendly. Whereas most taco places have multiple meat options, with maybe a veggie option, this place has multiple veg options with one fish option. And the desserts are all vegan. Awesome!

Philz Coffee is also recommended if you’re a coffee drinker. They have almond milk!!

If you’re in downtown/Union Square area and need something to eat, there is a vegan cafe called the Lovin’ Hut in the basement of the Westfield Mall at Powell and Market. There’s also a decent if expensive grocery store there.

Being an East Bay girl myself, I think the other side of the bridge is definitely worth a visit. If you’re a shops/restaurants kind of person, then Rockridge/Elmwood area in Berkeley and Oakland, the Temescal district on Telegraph in Oakland, or Fourth Street in Berkeley. If you’re looking for something more nature-y to do, take the Ferry to the Harbor Bay terminal and walk North along the waterfront path; you’ll have an incredible view of the whole bay (including SF) and can also walk up to the beach on the island of Alameda [3 miles each way].

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Thanks so much!

Emily @ The Sunny Studio May 27, 2013

Angela – you’re heading to my hometown! Some great restaurants have already been mentioned, including Gracias Madre, which is one of my favorite vegan places in SF. If you are craving warm, filling, delicious, ORGANIC, vegan Mexican food, that is the place to go:)

Two other places to check out are Cha-Ya and The Plant Organic Cafe. Cha-Ya is an all-vegan Japanese restaurant. Their rolls and noodle soups are so good and very unique! The Plant Cafe is not fully vegan, but they have a lot of vegan options and great fresh juices!

Feel free to email me if you have questions about restaurants, I’ve been to most vegan places in the city :) thesunnystudio@gmail.com

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Thank you Emily!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 27, 2013

Congrats on conquering your fears! That’s wonderful!

Thanks for the great travel snack ideas! I’ll definitely be keeping your suggestions in mind next time I travel.

Liz May 27, 2013

SFO – Alcatraz, Chinatown, Foreign Cinema (restaurant that shows movies on a big screen in the background), Lombard St.

WALK – yes, take a trolley, but definitely walk up and down the hills – it was tiring, but so satisfying and you get to see a lot of the different neighbourhoods.

Oh, and watch out for the Bushman. You’ll know who he is if you run into him or see him in action :) Have a great time!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 27, 2013

I had no idea that conference was even happening and I recognize so many bloggers in your photos – how great everyone could get together and how wonderful for you that you conquered two big, big things in one fell swoop!

Those “The Good Bean” snacks are definitely tooth-crack worthy :) I love them though but you’re right, the pepper is very! peppery and the salt ones are way too salty for me; but I love the cinn-sugar ones. They’re so good! Pricey but good!

Love all your snacks and thanks for the list. I honestly just pack as much fresh fruit/veggies and powerbar type stuff that I possibly can. If I can remember everyone’s passports, favorite stuffed animal, earbuds, clean clothes, toothbrushes, etc for our long trips AND still manage to get to the airport in time AND get a powerbar in the carryon, I consider it successful packing :)

Julie May 27, 2013

I second the recommendation for The Plant Cafe, everything there is delicious and mostly vegan and their veggie burger is the best I’ve ever had. http://www.theplantcafe.com/

Other favorites include the Ferry Building, especially on Tues/Thurs/Sat when the farmers market takes place, and Greens Restaurant at Fort Mason is a great vegan restaurant with a killer view of Alcatraz and the bay.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 27, 2013

Congrats on stepping up and facing your fears, Ange! It looks like you had an amazing time with lots of amazing bloggers! I totally agree with you on the protein-before-fruit problems – not fun, especially when on a plane!! When I was in San Francisco, I LOVED the markets at the Ferry Building, as well as the Fisherman’s Wharf. There are tons of little shops there and you can get fresh juices at the Ferry Building too. Oh, and if you were as big of a Full House fan as I was when you were little, you MUST go see the Full House house! A co-worker and I took a taxi there just so I could have my picture taken in front of it!

Ginny Messina May 27, 2013

Angela, it was so nice to meet you at Vida Vegan Con. I approach solo travel and huge social events with a little bit of anxiety myself–but I had a great time and am glad you did, too. And thanks for the great travel snack ideas!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Hi Ginny, It was such a pleasure to meet you as well! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and it was so great to connect. Your seminar on nutrition was so helpful and refreshing! Hope to see you again soon.

Tracy May 27, 2013

Speaking of bars that travel well….any chance Glo bars will make a comeback? I sure miss them!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Hey Tracy, I’m going to have a couple Glo Bar recipes in my cookbook that’s coming out next year (expected Jan or Feb right now) :)

AnneW May 27, 2013

Gracias Madre is my favorite San Fran restaurant! It’s in the Market district and owned by the same people as the famous Cafe Gratitude, but they serve up delicious, authentic, vegan Mexican food that is unlike anything else I’ve had! You should definitely try the quesadilla appetizer and mushroom mole!

Plant Cafe is another wonderful eatery, located just a little bit down from the Ferry Building (a must visit spot as well). It is super vegan-friendly, has incredible coffee, fresh juices, and an amazing signature veggie burger. Walk down a bit from Plant Cafe and visit TCHO Chocolate Company for dessert! Almost all of their chocolate is vegan!

Have fun!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Thanks for your help Anne!

Carrie @ Carrie on Vegan May 27, 2013

It was great meeting you, Angela, and congrats on getting out of your comfort zone (I’m in the same boat). I love SF and some of my fave places to go are the Ferry building, the Plant Cafe (located just outside the Ferry building), the architectural walking tour (you can find it on Yelp, it’s incredible), and Gracias Madre.

Kelly May 27, 2013

Just made your banana bread protein bars again. This time I used oat flour in place of buckwheat, they turned out delicious! My family loves them. Thanks! Glad you had a great trip.

Chef Amber Shea May 27, 2013

It was so wonderful to finally meet and chat with you, Angela! You are so sweet and down-to-earth, it felt like we’d already met before. If you ever need to vent about cookbook-related stress, I’m here ;)

Now the question is: when can you, me, and Hannah all get ourselves to the same place again to hang out?!

Definitely eat at Millennium and Gracias Madre in San Fran; those are my two favorites. :)

Hannah May 27, 2013

Um YES PLEASE.

Robyn May 27, 2013

Aw, you met Gena of Choosing Raw! Love her; you are two of my favorite blogs. Kudos to you for stepping out of your comfort zone. That’s where growth happens. I can have social anxiety too sometimes, so it was nice of you to admit it. Thanks for the snack ideas!

Gena May 27, 2013

So good to see you, my friend!!! And congrats on stepping outside of your comfort zone. It’s something I’ve been doing a lot of lately, too, and while it can be scary and painful, so much good comes of it, too. It’s where the growth happens. Till soon. <3

Hannah May 27, 2013

I miss you I miss you I miss you!! And I am SO proud of you. Next time, you’ll be able to stare down that anxiety even more easily, waggle your finger, and say “ain’t no thang” without a moment’s pause.

I wish I could stand in every line with you. ;)

Also, you’re the greatest. xoxoxoxoxox

Madison May 28, 2013

Whenever my dad and I go to San Francisco we hop on the ferry to Angel Island (The Ellis Island of the West Coast) and rent bikes. You can get some amazing views of the city and the Golden Gate Bridge IF it isn’t foggy.
On an unrelated note, I made your Energizing Protein Power Salad for our Memorial Day BBQ and it was a hit! Your recipes are so inspired.

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts May 28, 2013

I am always a little relieved when others admit to anxiety because it makes me feel better for having persisting fears of my own, despite knowing rationally there is no need to and doing my best to do the opposite when I can. Sometimes, anxiety just rears its head anyway! Pushing through it is always the best thing though – and I’m so glad you had a rewarding experience upon doing so :)

Emily May 28, 2013

I recently traveled on an EasyJet flight and my hubby bought me a Feel Good snack box which came with vegan Mediterranean vegetable dip, Nairns Oaty biscuits, dried cranberries, a snack pack of almonds, and a nakd bar. It was the perfect flight food, with the carrot, celery sticks, and cherry tomatoes I had taken with me. I’ve been taking versions of this to work as my lunch since then.

Amanda May 28, 2013

Love this list of travel snack ideas! San Fran is one of my favorite places!!! You have to do a ferry around the bay, it’s so awesome. Take a trolly from beginning to end of the track, gives you a great experience of the city. There are several Whole Foods to grab a bite to eat at. Enjoy!

DessertForTwo May 28, 2013

Thanks for the tips! I always need ideas for snacks to keep me going. I love all of yours.

Thanks for sharing your conference experience :)

Holly May 28, 2013

You should look into getting Wild Garden hummus to go for your next trip. They come in little packs smaller than 2oz and don’t need refrigeration. So hopefully TSA would leave you alone.

Melissa C May 28, 2013

Congratulations for facing 2 fears of yours! You and I share one of the same fears- engaging in large social setting where I don’t know too many people. Do you have any advice/tips to conquering this fear? Have a great trip to San Fran!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Hey Melissa, The thing that helped me most on this trip was so force myself not to think about the future. My anxiety stems from worrying about things that haven’t happened yet (and which usually turn out to be false!), so I found that by forcing myself to focus on the present (whether that was finding my gate or getting to the hotel or enjoying a seminar) helped me not be so anxious about what’s to come. Break it into small parts – instead of worrying about the large crowd or meeting new people, I try to focus on the moment – live in the moment more. Plus, listening carefully to someone speaking often takes away my anxious thoughts as well so I try to really focus a lot on what others are saying and ask people lots of questions about themselves.

Melissa C May 29, 2013

Thank you so much Angela! This really helps and I will have many opportunities in the near future to put this to practice!

Sallie May 28, 2013

Looks like you had an enjoyable experience! Good job on facing your fears, and by the way thanks for the great snack ideas. I just recently started drinking coconut water, and although a little skeptical at first, I am quickly beginning to acquire a taste for it :) Have a great day!

brittany May 28, 2013

Very helpful post–thanks for all the great ideas!! I travel a LOT and I’m always looking to change up my go-to foods for the road :)

Sarah @ Yogi in Action May 28, 2013

I love all those snack ideas.

I always bring a large water bottle (empty) and then fill it up with tap water after going through security. I find I get way too dehydrated otherwise.

Another must for me when flying, that’s non food related, is I always bring a pair of warm socks to wear on the plane. I find I always get cold otherwise!

K May 28, 2013

Each time I’ve been to San Fran, I go to Millennium restaurant for dinner. Being in Toronto, we have tons of vegetarian restaurants, but this is upscale vegetarian done really, really well!

Worth it! (They also have wine pairing options ;))

Enjoy, I love that city!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Glad to hear that – we have reservations and I can’t wait!

Y.S. May 28, 2013

Something to make you more excited, Millennium is actually a vegan restaurant even though they advertise as vegetarian. So you should love it =) Have a wonderful time here.

Fourhim316us May 28, 2013

I am glad you enjoyed your trip. I am sooooo glad I found your blog. After some health issues I decided to change my diet. Forks Over Knives and a friend saying they make beef from their cows when one gets sick drove home that I should not eat meat. I didn’t have a clue where to start and the fake meats were the logical place. Thanks to your blog I now have better, tastier options. I made the bread and it was fantastic! Going to make the crackers and protein bars soon. Thanks and keep the goodness coming.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Thanks for your lovely comment – so glad you are enjoying the blog!

Mike May 28, 2013

2 Hikes

1. Filbert Steps – 1/2 mile of steps up (or down) telegraph hill. You must do this!
2. If your itinerary allows then take the 30 min drive to see the giant redwoods at Muir Woods

Kelly @ Vegan Iowan May 28, 2013

Thank you so much for this fantastic advice! I actually just went on a trip and took grapes and your Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites with me. I’m like you, traveling is daunting enough in and of itself – and without good food, it can be a real nightmare!

Kiera May 28, 2013

Great snack ideas!

Be careful when traveling across the border, you will be forced to throw out a lot of fruits and vegetables when passing through customs and security! This is the difficult part when traveling internationally, it was my challenge this past weekend.

Becca May 28, 2013

I love living in SF! You’ve got to make it out to Land’s End (north of Ocean Beach, by Sutro Baths) for the most amazing views. My fave museums are the MOMA and the Academy of Sciences (both have free days once a month as a bonus!). You will love the food in SF. The Ferry Plaza Building on the Embarcadero is such a fun artisanal food market…check out the Pachamana Raw Kale Chips (the BEST!), Blue Bottle Coffee, and the vegan donut stand near the south entrance. Millenium is the best vegan restaurant in the city for sure, but a little pricey, so if you want something more casual, I really like the Herbivore, the Grove, and Dosa. The Mission district has lots and lots of fresh, exotic, vegan food choices too! If you can squeeze in a run or bike ride, Golden Gate Park and the Marina/Crissy Fields trail are just fantastic. You can even run across the Golden Gate Bridge though you’ll have to dodge lots of crowds. Sorry for talking your ear off… I love love love SF. I’m so glad you had a good time at the Vida Vegan Con! I’ve been loving you and your blog for a long time by the way. :)

Brooke May 28, 2013

If you go to Berkeley, try cafe gratitude. It is one of my favorite restaurants. The desserts are great too.

Ashley May 28, 2013

Those cracked pepper chickpeas ARE spicy!! Great on a salad, though. Definitely try the sea salt if you get the chance. Insanely addicting + no spice. Their granola bars are fantastic as well! Glad you had such a fun trip. Love seeing the photos but they make me miss you! :)

Casandra May 28, 2013

Good list! I often bring edamame as well. It’s nice that they only threw out half your hummus. When that happened to me they took the whole thing!

Page 1 of 3123»