7 Portable Travel Snack Ideas + Vida Vegan Con Fun

I somehow managed to do two things that scare the living daylights out of me – travel alone long-distance and engage in a very large social setting where I don’t know many people. For some, this is no big deal, but when you have bad anxiety the apprehension can feel crippling at times. I made the decision to work through the fear step by step of my trip. Of course, it wasn’t nearly as hard as I imagined it to be and I had a great time hanging out with many new and long-time blog buddies at the Vida Vegan Con. As my lovely roomie Hannah said, you can only conquer anxiety by doing exactly what you are afraid of. Isn’t that the truth. Nothing feels better than doing something you originally didn’t believe you could do. It’s so empowering. The beauty is that each conquered step makes the next one a bit easier.

20130525_134547

The love and attention to detail that was poured into this conference was so apparent. I don’t think I’ve ever been in a more welcoming, friendly setting with a better group of people. The good times were a rollin’ and the time went by much too fast. I met a lot of amazing bloggers and authors, but there were still so many I didn’t get a chance to say hello to or even get a photo with. Next time. :)

VVCphotocollage

While I’m getting caught up on work and getting ready for another trip this week, I thought I’d show you some simple snacks that I packed for my flights. This list is hardly the final word on airplane snacking, but it’s simply a glimpse of what I enjoyed during this particular trip. I’d love to hear your own suggestions below!

When I pack food for a flight these are the things I try to keep in mind:

1. Hydration (high-water foods sneak in extra water)

2. Protein for satiety

3. Foods that take a long time to eat like sliced vegetables or firm dried fruit.

4. Crunchy foods to keep the mouth busy when bored

5. Things that hold up well and don’t fall apart or bruise

Here are some of the things I packed:

1. Grapes

I stuffed a zip bag to the brim with grapes for my flight from Toronto to Vancouver and it was honestly one of my favourite snacks of the entire trip! Grapes are so hydrating and hold up very well – two major points, plus they just taste great. Watermelon chunks or pineapple would also be a super hydrating option if grapes aren’t your thing.

Side note: When I eat fruit during travel I try to do so on an empty stomach. I’ve made the mistake of eating fruit after a protein-rich snack on a flight and I suffered a lot of stomach pain (fruit breaks down much faster than protein). When I make a point to eat fruit on an empty stomach, I rarely have issues, but of course everyone’s tummy will be different!

IMG_20130523_131229

2. Dried Fruit

Speaking of fruit, I try not to pack fruit that bruises easily like delicate fresh pears. Dried pear slices (or any other dried fruit) can be a great option. I found this bag of dried pears at a store called Food Fight in Portland. They are super chewy and took a really long time to eat which is a major plus for someone who is a boredom snacker. Of course, you can also make your own dried fruit at home using a dehydrator or an oven on the lowest setting.

20130526_092948

3. Coconut Water

I drank this coconut water before heading home on my first flight yesterday and I felt so hydrated during the flight. Coconut water isn’t something I normally buy, but since I was fairly dehydrated on this trip I knew it would do me a lot of good!

20130526_091812

4. Roasted Chickpeas (or other crunchy crackers like Mary’s Crackers)

I also found these protein-packed gems at Food Fight in Portland and saved them for the flights home. They are super crunchy (to the point where you feel like you might break a tooth in some cases!) and also take a long time to eat. My only complaint is that the pepper flavour is really spicy and I would’ve preferred a less spicy flavour for traveling. My mouth was on fire eating these! Not ideal. You can also make your own roasted chickpeas at home, but they will turn soft very quickly. A reader let me know that this product is also available at Noah’s in Toronto – so keep your eyes peeled!

20130526_092813

5. Protein Bars or Energy Bites (homemade or store-bought)

I always have a protein bar tucked away in my purse when I travel. Sometimes I just pick up a couple vegan bars from the store to stash in my purse or if I have time, I make them before the trip. Shown below are my Last Minute Protein Energy Bars or you can try my recent Banana Bread Protein Bars too. Both are fairly delicate though and shouldn’t be in very hot temperatures or stuffed into a suitcase. If you are looking for raw energy bite recipes try my Chocolate Chip Cookie Larabar Knockoffs or my Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites, to name a couple good ones. Energy bites/bars are great when you are starving and you need a burst of energy…or bust.

veganproteinenergybar-4728

6. Super Power Chia Bread

Ok, scratch what I said about the grapes. This bread was hands down my favourite snack of the entire trip! I’m in love. I actually wished I brought a double batch with me because I ran out of the bread by Saturday and would’ve loved to have some for my flights home! It held up perfectly and was great paired with hummus, packets of almond butter, or just enjoyed plain. I got into my hotel late on Thursday night and it was the first snack that I reached for to tame the hunger. Worked like a charm.

Many of you have already made this bread and left some great comments with your adaptations, so be sure to check out the original post and comments for ideas! I just got home last night and I’ve already made a double batch. I have issues.

Superpowerchiabread-4958

7. Sliced Cucumbers & Carrots + Hummus

This post wouldn’t be complete without sliced vegetables! I packed this hydrating snack in my bag on the way to Portland. I peeled and sliced an entire English cucumber as well as a few carrots (to make two stuffed zip bags). Then I brought along a container of hummus to go with it. Keep in mind most spreads like hummus have to be under 100 ml when going through security (I, of course, went WAY over and they threw half of it out….*sad face*). Sliced veggies also take a long time to eat and keep me a happy traveler during a long flight.

I’m off to visit San Francisco with my mom and sister Kristi later this week (we’re celebrating our birthdays!), so I’ll be sure to pack a bunch of these snacks once again. If anyone has any suggestions on what to see and do (or skip) while in San Fran I’d love your tips!

Wishing you safe & happy travels this summer and beyond.

1 Abby @ Change of Pace May 27, 2013

Congratulations on successfully challenging your fears! I’m happy it worked out so well and that you met so many great people!
Love the point about taking something crunchy for when you’re bored. That is so me!

2 Karen May 27, 2013

While I love that you’re being healthy and frugal and not buying expensive and salt-laden airplane food, I had a momentary cringe at being the seat-neighbour of someone munching on chewy dried fruit (smack smack smack) and hard snacks (crunch crunch crunch) the whole way – Although I am sure you were polite and tried to keep your eating noises to a minimum, and your seat-neighbour was smart enough to bring noise-cancelling headphones!

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

hah…I know what you mean. I try to eat VERY discretely on airplanes. Plus, the awful smell of the mixed meat sub is much more offensive than a carrot or dried pear any day. ;)

4 Conrad Jones November 21, 2013

Hi Angela,
I’m wondering if you can give me some advice on becoming a Vegan? I’ve been told it’s expensive but l disagree, so please could you get in contact.

Regards
Conrad Jones

5 Carol January 1, 2014

Going Vegan is not expensive like rumors state. You actually save quite a bit of money not buying animal products. ORGANIC is more expensive than conventional eating, but that’s because you have a crop that’s been meticulously cared for instead of blindly mass produced. And if you ditch all animal products and try to go as low processed as possible (no boxed mac and “cheeze” or fake meat products), you will find that you save a lot of money on your shopping bill. It may take some extra time in the kitchen, but believe me..health wise and taste wise, it’s worth it!

6 Lauren @ The Highlands Life May 27, 2013

Grapes and granola bars are my go to for traveling. Easy to grab and munch for sure.

7 Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 27, 2013

Hooray and congrats on challenging — and conquering — not one but two big fears! As a fellow anxiety-sufferer, I can totally relate to how crippling those worries can be. (I find that the anticipation is always the worst part, and that once I’m actually *in* whatever situation I’d feared so much I start to feel better.) I’m sending a HUGE high-five from afar!

Your snack suggestions are great, too. I usually go for a home-made sandwich (since I have a raging case of Celiac disease, I can’t trust sandwiches that come from pretty much anywhere but my own kitchen) and some veggie sticks and gluten-free granola/snack bars. That said, those dried chickpeas and dried fruit sound fantastic. :)

8 Alanna May 27, 2013

Hi Angela,

So glad you had a good trip and took matters into your own hands against the fears you mentioned. I am currently enjoying a slice of your chia bread along with a bowl of homemade soup — soup because it is still chilly here on the East Coast (I`m in Nova Scotia)! Not that I object to homemade, steaming veggie soup . . . the weather that prompted me to make it, though, is another matter altogether.

I have never been to San Francisco myself, but my sister loved Alcatraz. If historic prisons are your thing, got to check it out. ;) Have a good trip.

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2013

Hi Alanna, So glad you tried out the bread! I imagine it would go really well with soup. :) Yes, hopefully we will get to Alcatraz!

10 Olivia May 27, 2013

Woo hoo! So happy you are coming to my lovely city :)

I am procrastinating my yoga right now (which I think is probably the worst thing to procrastinate) so here is my quick and dirty guide to my hometown:

See:
-The ocean- hike Land’s End
-Chinatown
-North Beach — hike up to Coit Tower and then take the elevator up (worth it!)
-Dolores Park in the Mission (plus nearby vegan Mexican restaurant Gracias Madre topped off with BiRite vegan chocolate coconut ice cream)
-Bike across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito
-Golden Gate Park (plus if you love museums California Academy of Sciences and the DeYoung museum are in the park)
-For big brand store shopping go to Union Square, for vintage shopping go to Haight Ashbury, for adorable boutique shopping go to Union Street in the Marina

Skip:
-Alcatraz and Pier 39
-Any of the hop-on, hop off buses (you’ll freeze!)

Food:
-Pepples vegan doughnuts in the Ferry Building
-BiRite snacks and ice creams
-Rainbow Grocery store in SoMa (a must)
-Juices and light meals at Plant
-(Already mentioned) Gracias Madre in the Mission
-Fancy foods Millennium
-Casual food Herbivore
-Source

Have fun!!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2013

Thanks Olivia, this is super helpful. :) Lucky you for living in SF!

12 Michaela May 27, 2013

While you’re at BiRite, there’s a really hole-in-the-wall place on Mission street called Dante’s Weird Fish, 3-4 blocks away. Relatively cheap good eats; super, super vegan friendly. Whereas most taco places have multiple meat options, with maybe a veggie option, this place has multiple veg options with one fish option. And the desserts are all vegan. Awesome!

Philz Coffee is also recommended if you’re a coffee drinker. They have almond milk!!

If you’re in downtown/Union Square area and need something to eat, there is a vegan cafe called the Lovin’ Hut in the basement of the Westfield Mall at Powell and Market. There’s also a decent if expensive grocery store there.

Being an East Bay girl myself, I think the other side of the bridge is definitely worth a visit. If you’re a shops/restaurants kind of person, then Rockridge/Elmwood area in Berkeley and Oakland, the Temescal district on Telegraph in Oakland, or Fourth Street in Berkeley. If you’re looking for something more nature-y to do, take the Ferry to the Harbor Bay terminal and walk North along the waterfront path; you’ll have an incredible view of the whole bay (including SF) and can also walk up to the beach on the island of Alameda [3 miles each way].

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Thanks so much!

14 Emily @ The Sunny Studio May 27, 2013

Angela – you’re heading to my hometown! Some great restaurants have already been mentioned, including Gracias Madre, which is one of my favorite vegan places in SF. If you are craving warm, filling, delicious, ORGANIC, vegan Mexican food, that is the place to go:)

Two other places to check out are Cha-Ya and The Plant Organic Cafe. Cha-Ya is an all-vegan Japanese restaurant. Their rolls and noodle soups are so good and very unique! The Plant Cafe is not fully vegan, but they have a lot of vegan options and great fresh juices!

Feel free to email me if you have questions about restaurants, I’ve been to most vegan places in the city :) thesunnystudio@gmail.com

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Thank you Emily!

16 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 27, 2013

Congrats on conquering your fears! That’s wonderful!

Thanks for the great travel snack ideas! I’ll definitely be keeping your suggestions in mind next time I travel.

17 Liz May 27, 2013

SFO – Alcatraz, Chinatown, Foreign Cinema (restaurant that shows movies on a big screen in the background), Lombard St.

WALK – yes, take a trolley, but definitely walk up and down the hills – it was tiring, but so satisfying and you get to see a lot of the different neighbourhoods.

Oh, and watch out for the Bushman. You’ll know who he is if you run into him or see him in action :) Have a great time!!

18 Averie @ Averie Cooks May 27, 2013

I had no idea that conference was even happening and I recognize so many bloggers in your photos – how great everyone could get together and how wonderful for you that you conquered two big, big things in one fell swoop!

Those “The Good Bean” snacks are definitely tooth-crack worthy :) I love them though but you’re right, the pepper is very! peppery and the salt ones are way too salty for me; but I love the cinn-sugar ones. They’re so good! Pricey but good!

Love all your snacks and thanks for the list. I honestly just pack as much fresh fruit/veggies and powerbar type stuff that I possibly can. If I can remember everyone’s passports, favorite stuffed animal, earbuds, clean clothes, toothbrushes, etc for our long trips AND still manage to get to the airport in time AND get a powerbar in the carryon, I consider it successful packing :)

19 Julie May 27, 2013

I second the recommendation for The Plant Cafe, everything there is delicious and mostly vegan and their veggie burger is the best I’ve ever had. http://www.theplantcafe.com/

Other favorites include the Ferry Building, especially on Tues/Thurs/Sat when the farmers market takes place, and Greens Restaurant at Fort Mason is a great vegan restaurant with a killer view of Alcatraz and the bay.

20 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 27, 2013

Congrats on stepping up and facing your fears, Ange! It looks like you had an amazing time with lots of amazing bloggers! I totally agree with you on the protein-before-fruit problems – not fun, especially when on a plane!! When I was in San Francisco, I LOVED the markets at the Ferry Building, as well as the Fisherman’s Wharf. There are tons of little shops there and you can get fresh juices at the Ferry Building too. Oh, and if you were as big of a Full House fan as I was when you were little, you MUST go see the Full House house! A co-worker and I took a taxi there just so I could have my picture taken in front of it!

21 Ginny Messina May 27, 2013

Angela, it was so nice to meet you at Vida Vegan Con. I approach solo travel and huge social events with a little bit of anxiety myself–but I had a great time and am glad you did, too. And thanks for the great travel snack ideas!

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Hi Ginny, It was such a pleasure to meet you as well! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and it was so great to connect. Your seminar on nutrition was so helpful and refreshing! Hope to see you again soon.

23 Tracy May 27, 2013

Speaking of bars that travel well….any chance Glo bars will make a comeback? I sure miss them!!

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Hey Tracy, I’m going to have a couple Glo Bar recipes in my cookbook that’s coming out next year (expected Jan or Feb right now) :)

25 AnneW May 27, 2013

Gracias Madre is my favorite San Fran restaurant! It’s in the Market district and owned by the same people as the famous Cafe Gratitude, but they serve up delicious, authentic, vegan Mexican food that is unlike anything else I’ve had! You should definitely try the quesadilla appetizer and mushroom mole!

Plant Cafe is another wonderful eatery, located just a little bit down from the Ferry Building (a must visit spot as well). It is super vegan-friendly, has incredible coffee, fresh juices, and an amazing signature veggie burger. Walk down a bit from Plant Cafe and visit TCHO Chocolate Company for dessert! Almost all of their chocolate is vegan!

Have fun!!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Thanks for your help Anne!

27 Carrie @ Carrie on Vegan May 27, 2013

It was great meeting you, Angela, and congrats on getting out of your comfort zone (I’m in the same boat). I love SF and some of my fave places to go are the Ferry building, the Plant Cafe (located just outside the Ferry building), the architectural walking tour (you can find it on Yelp, it’s incredible), and Gracias Madre.

28 Kelly May 27, 2013

Just made your banana bread protein bars again. This time I used oat flour in place of buckwheat, they turned out delicious! My family loves them. Thanks! Glad you had a great trip.

29 Chef Amber Shea May 27, 2013

It was so wonderful to finally meet and chat with you, Angela! You are so sweet and down-to-earth, it felt like we’d already met before. If you ever need to vent about cookbook-related stress, I’m here ;)

Now the question is: when can you, me, and Hannah all get ourselves to the same place again to hang out?!

Definitely eat at Millennium and Gracias Madre in San Fran; those are my two favorites. :)

30 Hannah May 27, 2013

Um YES PLEASE.

31 Robyn May 27, 2013

Aw, you met Gena of Choosing Raw! Love her; you are two of my favorite blogs. Kudos to you for stepping out of your comfort zone. That’s where growth happens. I can have social anxiety too sometimes, so it was nice of you to admit it. Thanks for the snack ideas!

32 Gena May 27, 2013

So good to see you, my friend!!! And congrats on stepping outside of your comfort zone. It’s something I’ve been doing a lot of lately, too, and while it can be scary and painful, so much good comes of it, too. It’s where the growth happens. Till soon. <3

33 Hannah May 27, 2013

I miss you I miss you I miss you!! And I am SO proud of you. Next time, you’ll be able to stare down that anxiety even more easily, waggle your finger, and say “ain’t no thang” without a moment’s pause.

I wish I could stand in every line with you. ;)

Also, you’re the greatest. xoxoxoxoxox

34 Madison May 28, 2013

Whenever my dad and I go to San Francisco we hop on the ferry to Angel Island (The Ellis Island of the West Coast) and rent bikes. You can get some amazing views of the city and the Golden Gate Bridge IF it isn’t foggy.
On an unrelated note, I made your Energizing Protein Power Salad for our Memorial Day BBQ and it was a hit! Your recipes are so inspired.

35 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts May 28, 2013

I am always a little relieved when others admit to anxiety because it makes me feel better for having persisting fears of my own, despite knowing rationally there is no need to and doing my best to do the opposite when I can. Sometimes, anxiety just rears its head anyway! Pushing through it is always the best thing though – and I’m so glad you had a rewarding experience upon doing so :)

36 Emily May 28, 2013

I recently traveled on an EasyJet flight and my hubby bought me a Feel Good snack box which came with vegan Mediterranean vegetable dip, Nairns Oaty biscuits, dried cranberries, a snack pack of almonds, and a nakd bar. It was the perfect flight food, with the carrot, celery sticks, and cherry tomatoes I had taken with me. I’ve been taking versions of this to work as my lunch since then.

37 Amanda May 28, 2013

Love this list of travel snack ideas! San Fran is one of my favorite places!!! You have to do a ferry around the bay, it’s so awesome. Take a trolly from beginning to end of the track, gives you a great experience of the city. There are several Whole Foods to grab a bite to eat at. Enjoy!

38 DessertForTwo May 28, 2013

Thanks for the tips! I always need ideas for snacks to keep me going. I love all of yours.

Thanks for sharing your conference experience :)

39 Holly May 28, 2013

You should look into getting Wild Garden hummus to go for your next trip. They come in little packs smaller than 2oz and don’t need refrigeration. So hopefully TSA would leave you alone.

40 Melissa C May 28, 2013

Congratulations for facing 2 fears of yours! You and I share one of the same fears- engaging in large social setting where I don’t know too many people. Do you have any advice/tips to conquering this fear? Have a great trip to San Fran!

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Hey Melissa, The thing that helped me most on this trip was so force myself not to think about the future. My anxiety stems from worrying about things that haven’t happened yet (and which usually turn out to be false!), so I found that by forcing myself to focus on the present (whether that was finding my gate or getting to the hotel or enjoying a seminar) helped me not be so anxious about what’s to come. Break it into small parts – instead of worrying about the large crowd or meeting new people, I try to focus on the moment – live in the moment more. Plus, listening carefully to someone speaking often takes away my anxious thoughts as well so I try to really focus a lot on what others are saying and ask people lots of questions about themselves.

42 Melissa C May 29, 2013

Thank you so much Angela! This really helps and I will have many opportunities in the near future to put this to practice!

43 Sallie May 28, 2013

Looks like you had an enjoyable experience! Good job on facing your fears, and by the way thanks for the great snack ideas. I just recently started drinking coconut water, and although a little skeptical at first, I am quickly beginning to acquire a taste for it :) Have a great day!

44 brittany May 28, 2013

Very helpful post–thanks for all the great ideas!! I travel a LOT and I’m always looking to change up my go-to foods for the road :)

45 Sarah @ Yogi in Action May 28, 2013

I love all those snack ideas.

I always bring a large water bottle (empty) and then fill it up with tap water after going through security. I find I get way too dehydrated otherwise.

Another must for me when flying, that’s non food related, is I always bring a pair of warm socks to wear on the plane. I find I always get cold otherwise!

46 K May 28, 2013

Each time I’ve been to San Fran, I go to Millennium restaurant for dinner. Being in Toronto, we have tons of vegetarian restaurants, but this is upscale vegetarian done really, really well!

Worth it! (They also have wine pairing options ;))

Enjoy, I love that city!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Glad to hear that – we have reservations and I can’t wait!

48 Y.S. May 28, 2013

Something to make you more excited, Millennium is actually a vegan restaurant even though they advertise as vegetarian. So you should love it =) Have a wonderful time here.

49 Fourhim316us May 28, 2013

I am glad you enjoyed your trip. I am sooooo glad I found your blog. After some health issues I decided to change my diet. Forks Over Knives and a friend saying they make beef from their cows when one gets sick drove home that I should not eat meat. I didn’t have a clue where to start and the fake meats were the logical place. Thanks to your blog I now have better, tastier options. I made the bread and it was fantastic! Going to make the crackers and protein bars soon. Thanks and keep the goodness coming.

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

Thanks for your lovely comment – so glad you are enjoying the blog!

51 Mike May 28, 2013

2 Hikes

1. Filbert Steps – 1/2 mile of steps up (or down) telegraph hill. You must do this!
2. If your itinerary allows then take the 30 min drive to see the giant redwoods at Muir Woods

52 Kelly @ Vegan Iowan May 28, 2013

Thank you so much for this fantastic advice! I actually just went on a trip and took grapes and your Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites with me. I’m like you, traveling is daunting enough in and of itself – and without good food, it can be a real nightmare!

53 Kiera May 28, 2013

Great snack ideas!

Be careful when traveling across the border, you will be forced to throw out a lot of fruits and vegetables when passing through customs and security! This is the difficult part when traveling internationally, it was my challenge this past weekend.

54 Becca May 28, 2013

I love living in SF! You’ve got to make it out to Land’s End (north of Ocean Beach, by Sutro Baths) for the most amazing views. My fave museums are the MOMA and the Academy of Sciences (both have free days once a month as a bonus!). You will love the food in SF. The Ferry Plaza Building on the Embarcadero is such a fun artisanal food market…check out the Pachamana Raw Kale Chips (the BEST!), Blue Bottle Coffee, and the vegan donut stand near the south entrance. Millenium is the best vegan restaurant in the city for sure, but a little pricey, so if you want something more casual, I really like the Herbivore, the Grove, and Dosa. The Mission district has lots and lots of fresh, exotic, vegan food choices too! If you can squeeze in a run or bike ride, Golden Gate Park and the Marina/Crissy Fields trail are just fantastic. You can even run across the Golden Gate Bridge though you’ll have to dodge lots of crowds. Sorry for talking your ear off… I love love love SF. I’m so glad you had a good time at the Vida Vegan Con! I’ve been loving you and your blog for a long time by the way. :)

55 Brooke May 28, 2013

If you go to Berkeley, try cafe gratitude. It is one of my favorite restaurants. The desserts are great too.

56 Ashley May 28, 2013

Those cracked pepper chickpeas ARE spicy!! Great on a salad, though. Definitely try the sea salt if you get the chance. Insanely addicting + no spice. Their granola bars are fantastic as well! Glad you had such a fun trip. Love seeing the photos but they make me miss you! :)

57 Casandra May 28, 2013

Good list! I often bring edamame as well. It’s nice that they only threw out half your hummus. When that happened to me they took the whole thing!

58 Shannon C May 28, 2013

Thanks for this post, Angela! Since changing how I eat I seem to have a wee bit of anxiety about what to pack on flights and so I love seeing what other people do – also great ideas for other forms of travel.

This February I ventured off to Costa Rica and packed in my carry on a few packets of Artisana’s raw nut butters. They turned out to be a lifesaver on my unplanned night in Houston, Texas. They were a great addition to fruit and even taste great on their own!

Looks like you had a lovely time at the conference! And congrats on meeting your fear head on!

59 Jamie May 28, 2013

Enjoy SF! My best friend and I went a couple of years ago, and it was such an awesome trip! Definitely do the Ferry building (the whole waterfront area, really), Haight Ashbury, Golden Gate park, Mission district – actually, just pack in as much as you can, because everything we did was amazing! :) One more tip: bring good shoes for all of the hilly walks you’ll be taking! Have fun!

60 Maria May 28, 2013

You conquered a fear of many! :) congrats! I love you site and I try to keep up with your posts. Thanks for inspiring me with all those recipes! Great site

61 Jeanette May 28, 2013

Thank you for all these great ideas! Later this summer I will be flying with two of my little ones to visit my parents for a week. The four-year-old is a constant snacker, and it’s hard to think of different nutritious snacks he can have without going for the usual goldfish, chips, etc. I would never have thought to take grapes on a plane, but that is a great idea – especially hydration-wise.

62 Rachel May 28, 2013

One my my favorite things about all the photos from your trip is the glowing faces. :-) They just display healthy at a whole new level. I love how healthy looks!!

63 divya May 28, 2013

Please please go to “Blue Bottle” (cafe)
I was there a couple of years ago and I wish we had Blue bottle here in Toronto!
The coffee is amazing! Their french toast is just to die for! I heard they recently changed their menu so I hope they still have their french toast for you to try! They have several locations, I went to their down town location, btw – they have long line ups during the weekends!
Have fun!

64 Mary May 28, 2013

Love the idea of eating fruit to add hydration! I hate how dry and gross airplanes are, yuck. I also cannot believe they made you throw some of your hummus out!? So frustrating. Can’t wait to hear more about Vida Vegan Con!

65 Penny May 28, 2013

I lived in SF for 16 years… and I always took my guests to see Beach Blanket Babylon. It’s a long running show in the North Beach area of San Francisco. It’s a fun and unique show that you can’t see anywhere else.

66 Kathryn May 28, 2013

SF is my playground as we are huge Giants fans. If you end up on the Embarcadero The Plant organic cafe is a great restaurant by the water. Vegan and non vegan food, all organic, YUM. They also have green juices. On Saturdays and a couple other days they also have the farmers market at the ferry building. HUGE market. The Ferry building is cool too. Vegan doughnuts inside. Also a sweet little wine tasting spot inside where you can get a loaf of bread and hummus to snack on.

We usually go down for baseball games, but there is so much to do there! They rent bikes and little go carts. It all depends on what you are up for – feel free to email me for more specific ideas :)

67 Nadine May 28, 2013

Just came back from 10 days in San Francisco. If you have a car, we found a lovely estate and gardens down near Palo Alto. It is called Filoli. Did not think the Tea Garden was worth the price of admission but loved the Botanical Garden in Golden Gate Park. Also thought the “Girl with a Pearl Earring” exibition at the de Young was worthwhile especially if you time your visit when there is a docent tour.

68 Kathy May 28, 2013

Why would the airlines throw out your food? Why do they need to be kept under 100ml. I don’t fly, so I never heard of such a thing!!

69 Beth May 28, 2013

Angela: I’m so glad you had a good time. It looks like a lot of fun! I love your travelling food recommendations. I will be using those in the next few weeks.

By the way, I wanted to tell you I made your veggie-tofu summer rolls last night with the spicy peanut dipping sauce. SO GOOD! I won’t be getting any professional summer-rolling jobs in the near future, but it wasn’t as hard as I’d thought, and they were so good and refreshing. The sauce was a keeper for sure!

70 Katie May 28, 2013

I recently flew to Scotland and had a big ziploc bag of grapes with me in preparation…but they confiscated them at security! I knew it was a risk, but I was still so disappointed. Then the airline I was flying with (KLM) lost my vegan meal request, and the only thing they could offer was a “Sorry. Do you want an extra bun?” But then couldn’t verify that the buns were vegan. Luckily I had an energy bar in my carry-on but it was a loooong 8 hours…next time I’ll have to bring some of your chia bread!

Also, did you get any side glances from people around you when you brought out your own (crunchy) food? I find it SO hard to discreetly eat my cut-up veggies and other so-called “weird” healthy food! Any tips on how to deal with looks or questions?

71 kimmythevegan May 28, 2013

Oh my goodness – so much fun!!! I definitely will have to hit VVC up next year =D
Let us know what kind of fun restaurants there are out there to check out.

Have fun in San Francisco! I actually live about 45 minutes from there and have loads of tips for you. If you have a chance be sure to check out Palace of Fine Arts. I’m guessing you will see the Golden Gate Bridge and the Palace of Fine Arts is just a few minutes away. Trust me – it is worth it! Beautiful, it’s my absolute favourite thing ever. Alcatraz and Fisherman’s Wharf are cool too. If you hit up the Ferry Building, there is a bakery in there called Mariposa and they have some amazing gluten free & vegan treats. But be careful as it’s not all vegan. Try the whoopie pie if they have it. The penguino is good too.
As for restaurants – check out Source – it’s fantabulous. Herbivore is pretty good too. If you are near Golden Gate Park, there is a restaurant called Judahlicious. I haven’t personally tried it but heard it’s good and it’s on my to-try list. Oh and if you have a hankering for pizza there is a place called Patxi’s that has utterly amazing vegan deep dish pizza. There is a very cool health food store called Rainbow Grocery near the Caltrain Station in San Francisco too. There is *so* much other food places to eat – send me a note if you want some more tips. I’m happy to help. And if you have some time to meet up for tea or lunch – let me know =)

72 Andrea May 28, 2013

These have already been said for the most part, but I agree in the City hit up Source, Herbivore, Philz, Plant cafe (you can see the Bay Bridge Lights from there, definitely worth it!) My favorite attraction is Twin Peaks, very beautiful at night! If you do make it across the bay (my home) Timeless Coffee in Oakland is an all-vegan coffee house with the best pastries around, and Natures Express is good fast food (all vegan). Also Cinnaholic, vegan cinnamon buns you’ll be dreaming about for months! Enjoy your visit, I think we have one of the most beautiful and fun areas.

73 Erynn May 28, 2013

The Good Bean roasted chickpeas are also available at Goodness Me here in Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford. I’ve tried the Smoky Chili & Lime and Sweet Cinnamon Flavours; neither of which I can say I liked. The sea salt would probably be the best but even then, I doubt I’d buy them again!

74 Elizabeth May 28, 2013

Oh my gosh PLEASE go to Source in SF. My husband’s favorite is their vegan burger (multiple types available) and my favorite is the Live Tacos. They are pretty simple but delicious and every time I get them I seriously think “I wish OSG would replicate this so I knew how to make it at home.”

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

hah thanks for the tip!!

76 Ally Hopkins May 28, 2013

San Fran go on the a double deck hop on and hop off bus tour that goes all around San Fran with a stop in Saulsalito and then you can take the Ferry back to the wharf area in San Fran. Alcatraz is a must, pre-book tickets.

77 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 28, 2013

I am on a major grapes kick right now, so that definitely sounds like the perfect snack. I really want to try those roasted chickpeas! I love roasted chickpeas, and being able to purchase them already made sounds awesome!

78 Nima Zahadat May 28, 2013

Pretty cool!

Nima Zahadat

79 Samantha @ Sweetly Striving May 28, 2013

I love those ideas. I always try to pack along protein rich snacks while traveling (plane or car). I really like knowing that I have something in case I get super hungry and won’t have to rely on something I won’t necessarily like by stopping at gas station.

80 Cadry May 28, 2013

It was such a treat getting to meet you at Vida Vegan Con, Angela! That’s a great insight from Hannah. It’s not easy to face our fears, but it certainly feels empowering after it’s done! Enjoy the rest of your travels!

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

So nice meeting you too Cadry! You are such a sweet person and I look forward to seeing you again!

82 Wendy May 29, 2013

Angela,
I loved all your portable snack ideas. It’s so hilarious to say “crunchy snacks for when your mouth gets bored,” but it’s SO true…you really get it! You should really do a post on your skin care regimen. Your skin is so flawless and I’m sure other readers out there would love to know what products your using and how you keep your skin glowing (besides eating well and staying hydrated, off course!)

Thanks :)

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

Thank you Wendy – I will try to do a post on that soon!

84 Melissa May 29, 2013

Angela, that’s wonderful that you had a chance to step outside of your comfort zone and crush your fears. That’s the best west to grow. It feels great too :)

Love your snack list – everything looks delicious. I love grapes, but I haven’t had too much success carrying them around with me on long trips. They never seem to hold up & end up getting crushed. Everything else is perfect though – love the protein bars you have shown; are those homemade?

Here are couple of other ideas to add to the list:
*Make your own trail mix with nuts, raisins & include your roasted chickpeas :)
*Carry whey protein with you in a zip-lock bag & make a shake anywhere.

85 NAT May 29, 2013

Congrats to you for facing your fears, I found it interesting to hear you talk about your issues with anxiety as this is something I struggle with too.

So jealous of your San Fran trip its a great place, back in the fall my boyfriend and I visited a great restaurant in the mission district, think it was on 16th, called Andalu. It was a pretty sketchy area to walk around but worth it for the craziness and the amazing night we had at this restaurant. The food is fun little tapas style dishes, great fresh flavours and unusual combinations, the service is great and the atmosphere really cool, I would highly recommend it!

86 Kristy May 29, 2013

Love your blog! Thanks for sharing your story of conquering your fears. I’ve had to do a lot of that lately and it’s wonderful to see what little power they really have.

If you get a chance, visit SFMOMA. It will be free through this weekend before they close for a 2 year remodel.

For a slice of “only in SF” life, check out the farmer’s market at the Ferry Building on Sat. You can eat amazing food while overlooking the bay.

Enjoy your trip!

87 Liz May 29, 2013

What a wonderful trip…with great snacks too! Have a wonderful trip with your family…I was just with mine and it was such a special time!

88 Tiffany L May 29, 2013

When I visited SF with friends from Scotland last year, we went to Herbivore on Divisadero. It was great. If you are near Alamo Square to see the Painted Ladies…you’ll be really close to the restuarant.

89 Moni Meals & Fitness May 29, 2013

What a fun time and you should feel SO PROUD for overcoming and living outside the “comfort zone”. I bet you will inspire others too! Also well done on the travel snacks!

90 Krista Jett May 29, 2013

If you have time (and a car) you MUST drive over the Bay Bridge and eat at Cafe Gratitude in Berkeley (1730 Shattuck Ave Berkeley, CA 94709), they are a wonderful vegan/raw option with a few locations throughout California. I ALWAYS eat at the one in Santa Cruz and love their creative and delightfully fresh menu.
In SF, a picnic in Golden Gate park is always called for and a walk on the beach at Crissy Field under the Golden Gate will make for lovely photos.

91 Katie of Vegan Noms May 29, 2013

It was a dream come true having met you, lovely lady! :D Glad you enjoyed the conference!

92 veganlisa May 29, 2013

Angela,
It was so lovely to have time with you at VVC. It was wonderful to be in your presence and to see your smiling face (we must make that happen more often!). The weekend would not have been the same without you.

I hope you’re having fun in San Fran. I highly recommend Gracias Madre and Millenium. Both delicious and with lots of GF and SF options.

I hope to see you soon. I miss you and Hannah already.
xoxo

Lisa

93 Andrea May 29, 2013

The Vegan Charcuterie Plate at Gather in Berkeley is worth crossing the bridge for! Or hopping on BART for (it’s just a block away from the Downtown Berkeley BART station.
Have a great time in SF!

94 Rebecca May 30, 2013

I always find snacking a challenge unless you are prepared. Most of the stuff available to buy in places like airports, hotel lobbies and other spots that are likely to be handy while you are travelling tend to be unhealthy.

Thanks for sharing these great snack ideas. I am going to give the Chia Bread and some of your protein bar recipes a try.

And great work overcoming your fears!

95 cheryl May 31, 2013

were you able to bring the coconut water in a carry on? I am getting ready to travel and found your list very helpful!

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2013

No I bought it once through security :-)

97 Kat June 1, 2013

Perfect travel snack ideas!! I just flew to San Francisco for my birthday last week and wish this had been out before I left :) while you’re in San Fran, I would totally recommend the Ferry Building Marketplace (a bit touristy, but worth it!) and there’s a Coastal Trail from Lands end up to the golden gate bridge. There’s a bus that will take you right to the start and the views and beaches and (hopefully!) sunshine make for an incredibly uplifting experience. Probably the most beautiful hiking trail I’ve ever been on, and easy enough that I did it in my Sperrys – if you feel like a bit of exercise outside of going up and down hilly city streets, this is your best bet!

98 Mirinda @makemyplate June 3, 2013

So nice to hear the conference was great and full of amazing people! Great snack choices – so spot on with the with the chewy dried fruit (I too get weirdly starving on planes) thanks for the ideas!

99 Stephanie June 3, 2013

I’m traveling this week with my 4.5 year old twin boys, very thankful for this post right now! Quick question on the hummus. Did you do store bought or home made? Just wondering if I can get home made through security.

100 Paula June 3, 2013

Love your blog and can’t wait for your cookbook! Just wondering what size pan to use for the Last Minute Protein Energy Bars. Thanks!

101 Richa June 4, 2013

i love savory things and fresh veggies and hummus. i am always packed to the brim with food. every minute i am not eating i will get motion sick:))
i hear you about the anxiety and hannah is right. its baby steps to do what makes me anxxious then i realize i am not anxious doing these 5 steps, so i can do 2 more:)

102 Siv rougier June 5, 2013

In Europe thet take all your fruit/berries unless appels, pears or similar.

I make a healthy lunch with. stir fry chicken and loads of vegetebles and maybe some nuts on. Top for extra crunch.

Your protein bars and chiabread will accompany for the future.

Thank you for sharing your love for food.

103 Aimee June 9, 2013

Hi Angela,

This is a great post. Traveling and eating healthy can be such a challenge! xo

104 Jessica Festa June 10, 2013

Love the chia bread idea. I’ve had chia cereal before where you soak the chia and it plumps up and becomes a really satisfying, filling food, especially with yogurt or fruit. Such a great super food!

105 Melissa @ Suitcase and Heels June 11, 2013

Congrats on facing a fear! It’s so true that each new thing you tackle makes the next one easier. I was chatting with some people this past weekend who were amazed that I’ve traveled internationally solo and have done a few crazy things (CN Tower EdgeWalk and white water rafting for two). I tell them that it’s been a process. I didn’t just wake up one day and decide to go on a big adventure. I went on little ones first and when they went well it bolstered my confidence and the next time I tried something that pushed my comfort zone just a bit more. You never know what you can do until you push yourself.

106 Sharon @BigCityVegan June 20, 2013

Hi Angela! It was so fabulous meeting you at VVC! The Kure detox green juice outing was so much fun. What a joy to be in such great company. Love the vegan traveling snacks. Grapes are so hydrating. I had cucumbers in my bag and those chickpea crunchies too. Was so excited to see them at the airport at the JetBlue terminal. :) Sharon

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2013

It was so nice meeting you too! Hope we can see each other in the near future. :)

108 Crista June 25, 2013

oooh …that chia bread… i’d like to make that for my next trip!

109 Reggie October 3, 2013

OMG I’m making that super power chia bread tonight

110 SallyB December 31, 2014

Thank you for making this post! I’ve never traveled by plane as a vegan and I’m now faced with a 10hr flight and the “option” to pay for in-flight lunch (and who knows what’s in that?!). I will definitely make use of some of these! Also I received your cookbook as a gift from someone and am so psyched to use it. You have made transitioning to vegan so wonderful for me!