2-Ingredient Chocolate Fudge Frosting

veganchocolatefudgefrosting-4836

This frosting is quite possibly one of the best to come out of my kitchen. It’s dangerous in the best way possible – creamy and rich without being overly sweet. I really don’t know how I was able to save enough for the chocolate cupcakes.

Best of all, it’s just two simple ingredients: Full-fat coconut milk and chocolate. That’s it.

veganchocolatefudgefrosting-4943

Yes, you really can make a luxurious, creamy frosting without butter or shortening! Unlike regular frosting, there’s no fussing with icing sugar messing up your kitchen. Don’t you hate it when the icing sugar leaves a coating of powder over all your appliances and counter? I sure do.

With this recipe, the only thing that got messy was my face because I couldn’t stop eating it.

veganchocolatefudgefrosting-4838

The flavour and sweetness of this frosting will vary depending on the chocolate you use. Most chocolate should work just fine, although I would caution against using a super bitter variety. Stick to under 70% cocoa and you should be safe. If worst comes to worst, you can always add a bit of sweetener if need be. I threw in a pinch of fine grain sea salt at the end to enhance the sweetness.

Insert face into bowl here.

veganchocolatefudgefrosting-4877

2-Ingredient Chocolate Fudge Frosting

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 1 & 3/4 cups

Ingredients:

• 1 can (400 ml) full-fat coconut milk
  • 1 bag dark, non-dairy chocolate chips (approx 285 grams)

1. Chill can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight. When ready, flip can over and open with can opener. Pour off the water (you can save it for a smoothie or discard). Scoop only the solid white coconut cream into a pot. Add the chocolate chips into the pot as well and gently melt the coconut cream and the chocolate chips together over low heat. Stir frequently and be careful not to burn.

2. Transfer this mixture into a bowl (cover with wrap) and then into the fridge for 2-3 hours (or overnight) until it firms up enough to whip into frosting. You really just have to eyeball it as I expect the timing for individual batches will differ depending on how cold your fridge is. I put it in the fridge overnight and then left it on the counter for the entire morning until I was ready to frost the cupcakes in the afternoon.

3. When it’s firmed enough to your liking, whip it with electric beaters until smooth and creamy. If it’s still too firm, you can leave it out on the counter for a bit longer. I didn’t need to add any milk to thin it out or any sugar to sweeten – it was just perfect as is! If your batch tastes bitter, you can always add a bit of sweetener to your taste. I also like to add a small pinch of fine grain sea salt to make the flavours pop.

Note: On a hot day, this frosting could melt. Be sure to keep frosted cupcakes in the fridge until ready to enjoy.

Looking for a vegan cupcake recipe? Find my favourite chocolate cupcakes here.

~~~

A note on coconut milk:

Many of you have had trouble making whipped coconut cream with certain brands because some cans don’t always separate. A reader let me know that Thai Kitchen has changed their formula so that it doesn’t separate anymore. Apparently they are coming out with small cans of pure coconut cream instead. Be on the look out! I used Native Forest with decent result, although I have had some duds.

Happy Victoria Day to my fellow Canadians!

1 Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake May 20, 2013

I think I need to make cupcakes right away to smother this frosting all over the top.

2 Lisa@Pocketfuls May 20, 2013

Oh my, this frosting looks delicious!!! Can’t wait to try it.

Just a heads up about the coconut milk — Thai Kitchen brand used to always separate for me, but the last several cans I’ve had didn’t, no matter how long I left them in the fridge. I know others have had this problem as well in recent months. :( Not sure if the company changed something or ??? I’m going to give Native Forest a try next time and keep my fingers crossed I don’t get a “dud”. :)

Happy Victoria Day to you, Angela!

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2013

Aw, what a bummer about Thai Kitchen. Hopefully, that isn’t the norm!
I contacted Native Forest a while back and apparently they source their coconut from two different places…and this can produce different results in the cream. I wish I could find that email because I forget what all they said. Will look for it again…

4 Ashlae May 20, 2013

The coconut milk NF sources from Thailand will usually separate – the Sri Lanka variety typically does not. ;(

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2013

Ok, I just found the email from the parent company of Native Forest (Edward & Sons). I had contacted them a few months ago. This is what they said about their coconut milk sources:

“We used to have two sources for our coconut milk, however, now we only source from Thailand. We used to also have coconut milk from Sri Lanka, which is what the Amazon reviews refer to. Our cans will always state their country of origin on them.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any more questions.”

Interesting…Going to check my can now :)

6 Rose May 23, 2013

Don’t know if that is just for NF brand but my coconut milk from Sri Lanka works perfectly. In fact, it is the only one I’ve found in my area that does the trick (and of course the most expensive one out there ;) ) This recipe looks amazing! Will definitely try it over the weekend.

7 Larissa February 16, 2014

Just wondering how much cream should be going into the recipe. I didn’t get very much and am wondering if it will be enough.

8 Maureen May 24, 2014

I use the regular full fat Thai Kitchen coconut milk.I haven’t had any problem with it not separating,although their organic coconut milk won’t separate when chilled.

9 Danielle @ It's A Harleyyy Life May 20, 2013

that whipped cream looks yummy!

10 Alysa (InspiredRD) May 20, 2013

This is perfection. I can’t wait to make it!

11 Somer May 20, 2013

Woah, I’ve been waiting for a frosting without powdered sugar!

12 Sophie May 20, 2013

Woohoo!!! This is my favorite frosting too!! :)

Discovered it a couple of weeks ago, just in time for my birthday cake! :D

Thanks for sharing, and Happy (belated) Birthday to you too!!

13 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh May 20, 2013

OH. MY. GOODNESS!!! This is genius! I can’t wait to slather this on cupcakes, brownies, my finger…oops, did I say that?

14 Joy May 20, 2013

What!? This sounds amazing! Now I’m kicking myself for not buying coconut milk at the store yesterday. I’ll definitely be trying this soon!

15 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 20, 2013

Is there such a thing as too much chocolate?! This looks delicous! I love to make my own sugar-free ice cream topping with coconut oil, stevia and cocoa powder. Or a peanut butter version… or both… ;)

16 shanon September 7, 2015

Like a DIY magic shell! Love this stuff on ice cream

17 Tania May 20, 2013

Looks delish! I know I won’t be the only one who wonders this, but can you use the lower fat coconut milk for this or do you need full fat? Thanks!

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2013

Hi Tania,
I would worry that the light coconut milk would make it too thin? Not sure though. Report back if you try it!

19 Liz May 20, 2013

I’m so relieved as all I’ve had was dud coconut milks on 3 occasions but never thought it was the brand that was the issue. Going to try Thai Kitchen brand. I just gave up on the whole thing really. I’m stoked about the endless possibilites!

20 Jen G. May 20, 2013

Do you have any ideas for coconut milk alternatives? So many of your yummy-looking recipes use coconut milk, but I’m allergic to it, as well as all tree nuts.

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2013

Hmm…In this recipe whipped avocado might work, but I haven’t tried it yet. I’ll let you know if I think of anything else.

22 Jen G. May 20, 2013

Great idea! I’ll give it a try. Thanks :-)

23 Angela May 20, 2013

Let me know how it goes if you try it! You might need to add sweetener too since the avocado flavour can be a bit strong.

24 Stacey May 20, 2013

I was told that when you use avocado for fudge to microwave it first for a little bit so you can’t taste it as much. I made HH’s avocado fudge and nobody else in my family would eat it because you could taste the avocado. I plan on making it again after getting this tip!

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2013

Interesting tip! I’ll have to try that sometime too. I always heard cooking avocado made it bitter? Now I’m curious… :)

26 Angi Bloom March 8, 2014

Avocado, raw cacao and a sweetener such as maple syrup work well. I often add a bit of chia and it becomes a pudding. You may want to add some liquid if it is too thick.

27 liv October 7, 2014

i havent tryed it, but i think that carob powder would do jut perfect as sweetner, when doing a chocolate frosting, also, adding a riped banana will stabilize the flovour of the avocado :)

28 Averie @ Averie Cooks May 20, 2013

I could make a meal out of that frosting :)

It looks so fudgy, fluffy, and perfect! Coconut milk is such great stuff! I recently just made vegan bread with coconut milk and coconut oil and love baking with coconut oil!

29 Jennifer L May 20, 2013

Do you think this method would work with peanut butter? I love coconut milk-based frosting, but have yet to find a good peanut butter frosting recipe.

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2013

I too was thinking about chocolate PB version…I think it could work!

31 dawn May 20, 2013

I’ve only tried to make whipped coconut cream once, and it failed. It was separated into fat and liquid in the can, and was well chilled. I figured my problem was that I whipped it to heck in the Vitamix, and got curds of coconut butter. Next time I plan to try a gentler method. I bet avocado and melted chocolate would make yummy icing, too.

32 kris August 30, 2014

I’ve made frosting using avocados (didn’t have any butter that was soft enough). I could taste the avocado so I added mint. Everyone loved how creamy the frosting was, couldn’t believe it was avocado. I will need to try the heating sometime.

33 Julia May 20, 2013

Mouth…watering….outta control….looks delicious!

34 Andrea May 20, 2013

Love this! I’m making cupcakes today and will try it. Keep in mind you can get cans of coconut cream, so just the thick stuff, and use that right from the can. It’s available at Trader Joe’s on the cheap, maybe $1.19 or so?

35 Amanda May 20, 2013

Yes, Andrea! I was just about to post this same thing. We use the TJ’s coconut cream for any recipe that calls for chilling a can of coconut milk. It is the only one I’ve found that is actual coconut cream, not coconut cream + a bunch of sugar and other nasties. Are there Trader Joe’s in Canada?

36 Crystal May 21, 2013

I also use Trader Joe’s Coconut Cream. 95% of the can will solidify when cold, leaving just a trace of liquid. Plus, it’s only $1.49 a can! My nearest Trader Joe’s is 2 hours away, but I drive up every 8 weeks to stock up on many things that I get there, as well as from Costco. Hands down, the best cream for whipping into frosting or using for ice cream, has been the Trader Joe’s version.

37 Sarah May 29, 2013

Is a can of coconut cream equivalent to [a can of coconut milk minus liquid]? That is, would I use the whole can of coconut cream for this recipe?

38 Elspeth June 22, 2013

Sarah,
I weighed the coconut cream from my last can of coconut milk and came up with 224 grams. I imagine it varies a bit from can to can. Depending on how large your can of coconut cream is and how much of it is liquid, you may want to save some or use more chocolate chips and have extra frosting for eating straight from the bowl! :)

39 julie January 12, 2014

hi sarah,
i saw your comment and i was wondering if the coconut cream worked for you? i want to try it but i want to make sure it works first.
thank you!
julie

40 Patti May 24, 2014

Thank you for posting this. I also bought trader Joe’s coconut cream and was going to experiment to see if I got more volume that from coconut milk. Can’t wait to try it!

41 Jenni May 20, 2013

Simple recipes are the greatest, especially for something like frosting, which is usually made in addition to having to bake something. Long ingredient lists always deter me! This recipe is awesome, and I love that is uses coconut milk instead of something more processed like soy creamer.

42 Alexis @ Hummusapien May 20, 2013

I LOVE the simplicity here! Coconut and chocolate are two of my favorite food ever, so I’m all over this. Now I need to whip up a batch of cupcakes!

43 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 20, 2013

Oh YUM!! I hope you had plenty of this while celebrating your birthday, Ange!! As you know, I don’t do a ton of baking but I want to now, just so I can make this frosting! In the past, I haven’t been a huge fan of coconut but it seems to be making its way into my meals in all forms lately, especially coconut milk. One thing I didn’t know was that coconut cream is actually sold in bars – like solid ones! I thought it was just the really really thick bit on the top of the can of coconut milk. Guess you learn something new every day!

44 Dreena Burton May 20, 2013

I love making that kind of frosting too. It’s like a ganache, and then when whipped – ta-dah! a frosting! Your pics make me want to make it today!

45 Joanna May 20, 2013

What an amazing idea! After you frost the cake, does it need to stay in the refrigerator until serving, to prevent melting? Thanks so much! :)

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2013

Hi Joanna, On a hot/humid day, I would say yes keep it in the fridge. When I made it, it was quite cool in here so I didn’t find it melted much though.

47 Laura May 20, 2013

Genius! Thank you, Angela!

48 Katy @ Katy's Kitchen May 20, 2013

Wow, I love it! It’s so hard to find a good vegan frosting recipe, and this one looks so thick and easy. Pinned!

49 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 20, 2013

I love frosting! This recipe sounds amazing! I can’t believe it’s only two ingredients and vegan…perfect!

50 Kim May 20, 2013

Definitely going to put this on my make this list!!! Love the simple ingredients!

51 Lillian @Seize the Latte May 20, 2013

This just made my day. Here I am, slogging away in my windowless office and feeling generally shitty about the fact that it’s Monday, and then I take a break from work and see this recipe. Case of the Mondays? CURED. :)

52 Luv What You Do May 20, 2013

I love vegan frosting! I think it is i the BEST and I now know how to make my own. Score!

53 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy May 20, 2013

Holy cow! I’m craving this right now! Haha

54 Anne Marie Hawkins May 20, 2013

I can’t wait to try this. It’s going to be a while, since I currently live in a coconut-free house. (LOTS of restrictive food allergies for one of my housemates – she’s away for the week, but I don’t want to risk it.)

55 Ashley May 20, 2013

I’ve never had a “dud” can either! This looks INSANE!!!! You are a genius! It really looks frosting-like! Yummmm

56 Karen May 20, 2013

This looks AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing! :0)

57 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan May 20, 2013

Whoa girl, just whoa. Face plant and lick the bowl clean!

58 Jeanette May 20, 2013

Holy cow! I’m restraining myself from licking my computer screen LOL. My youngest son’s birthday is coming up soon – maybe I will have to make a “test batch” to prepare. :)

59 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} May 20, 2013

Can’t wait to try this! So simple!

60 Willow May 20, 2013

Brilliant! I’ll have to try this. I’m not a fan of powdered sugar in icings anyway… leaves a coating on your tongue gives it a weird mouth-feel. That leaves me making stuff like swiss meringue buttercreams, which can’t really be done with shortening or anything besides real butter… so this is a great vegan option. Love it! :)

61 Sarah September 9, 2014

It’s usually the type of shortening that leaves that nasty coating on your tongue.

62 Macy May 20, 2013

This looks delicious! I’m a newbie in the cooking department, so I have a couple questions about coconut milk. First off, does it taste like coconut? I’ve heard that it doesn’t. And secondly, what exactly is the part that’s used in the recipe? Is it a cream or solid or what? Thanks!

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2013

Hi Macy – yes it’s the solid white cream part – the murky water is discarded (or saved if you want to use it elsewhere). I find it does taste like coconut, but I don’t notice it as much these days as I’m pretty used to the flavour. The chocolate in this recipe tends to mask the flavour anyway.

64 jackie May 20, 2013

I’ve used Wholefood’s 365 brand for whipped coconut cream and had great results. The full fat version separated very nicely.

65 Dana @ Vanishing Veggie May 20, 2013

wow! that looks absolutely amazing

66 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} May 20, 2013

I’ve had a few “dud” cans as well as a few that worked fantastically! I love that you made frosting without powdered sugar or shortening, that makes it healthy right? Coconut & dark chocolate for the win!!

67 Salinya May 20, 2013

This looks absolutely delicious! What a lovely, simple treat. And thank you for the extra info on the coconut milk.

68 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 20, 2013

Seriously? This is AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing! :)

69 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } May 20, 2013

Think I need to whip up some of this to put on my oatmeal tomorrow morning!

70 Ksenia May 20, 2013

I just made this to frost some basic vanilla cupcakes and it turned out delicious! A few weeks ago I bought the coconut milk from T&T (Asian grocery store in some provinces in Canada), it’s super cheap (I think they had it on special for 69 cents/can!) and so far every single can I’ve used solidified completely, just make sure to give it a shake before putting in the fridge.
The only problem I had was as soon as I started frosting, everything started getting really soft and runny. But I think it was because with this weather the house was at 28 degrees with no A/C on. Fixing that and putting the frosting back in the fridge for a little while longer solved the problem.

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2013

So glad you enjoyed the frosting! Great tip about the heat – I will have to add that into my recipe note! :)

72 Stephanie Howard May 20, 2013

Amazing! Thanks so much my daughter’s birthday is next week and I was in desperate need of a really good frosting!

73 Elle May 20, 2013

Angela, this looks so yummy and so easy.

I am a huge fan of quick and easy recipes.

I love the fact that it is made with coconut milk and not cream or butter. With there being so many allergy issues this is an added bonus.

Have you tried making it in any other flavors? I was wondering how it might be with butterscotch chips.

Also, have you ever added orange zest or any other flavorings? It seems like there could be a variety of options for this.

I think I might find the need to bake a cake very soon!

74 Nora May 20, 2013

You are truly a sweet genius! AMAZING!

75 Julie @ RDelicious Kitchen May 20, 2013

i use this frosting all the time .. i love ittt!!!

76 Lisa Kelly May 20, 2013

Seriously!??? This is the most beautiful frosting I’ve ever seen.

77 Violet May 20, 2013

Does this frosting need to be refrigerated?

Why I’m asking is, because I’m wanting to sell it on cupcakes under Florida’s Cottage Food Law, but the law prevents me from selling food items which need refrigeration. :)

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2013

Yes I do suggest keeping it in the fridge once you’ve frosted the cupcakes (unless enjoying right away)

79 Sarina @ Earthgiven Kitchen May 20, 2013

Awesome, I’m tired of margarine and icing sugar frosting, thank you Angela! The uses for coconut milk solids are endless!

80 Health Benefits May 20, 2013

Thanks for posting this delicious recipe! I love cooking/baking with organic coconut milk. I learned so much from this post and especially reading the comments. Pretty impressive that you spend so much time not only posting these recipes, but also taking the time to answer questions.

Glad to have found your site and look forward to learning more. Time to check out the breakfast and desserts sections ;) haha. Thanks for all that you do!

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2013

Thanks for your kind words! :)

82 LC May 20, 2013

You had me at no powder! I love baking, but is there anything that spreads EVERYWHERE quite like powdered sugar?

83 Kelly May 20, 2013

I think even I could handle this!

xx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes

84 Sher May 20, 2013

New to this blog and what a godsend, as I just decided yesterday to go vegan. I am a Foodie with a recipe obsession, and I cannot wait to try your recipes. I feel more confident in taking my first steps!

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2013

Congrats Sher – I hope you enjoy them!

86 Court Star @ StarSystemz May 21, 2013

LOVE this! I love simple recipes that are DROOL worthy! I can’t wait to test this out at my next dinner party! Thanks for sharing :) Love + Shine CourtStar

87 mary May 21, 2013

Hi Angela, I love your blog!
I’m a bit obsessed with your sticky toffee pudding haha ;)

I’m definitely going to try this out because I hate how most frostings require so much bad fat and sugar!
xxx

88 Drop Cookies May 21, 2013

Thats great and amazing. I will try this..!!!

89 Maria Tadic May 21, 2013

This looks super yummy. I’ve just started using the full fat coconut cream/milk in my cooking. It makes such a luscious whipped cream! I can’t even imagine how good chocolate would be added to that!

90 Grace @ Earthy Feast May 21, 2013

This looks so amazing, I want to put my face in it! What a great idea, thanks for sharing!

91 Carrie @ Season It Already! May 21, 2013

Oh Dear God, this stuff could be dangerous! ;-)

92 McKel | Nutrition Stripped May 21, 2013

I love using coconut milk or even avocado with dark chocolate for a quick frosting. Thanks for sharing your variation :)

93 allie May 21, 2013

i have had good luck with the GRACE brand coconut milk.

94 wendy (healthy girl's kitchen) May 21, 2013

I’m not quite sure if it’s any healthier for you, but I have been making a frosting recipe from the new Engine 2 book (My Beef with Meat) and it only has three ingredients: Silken tofu, vegan chocolate chips and vanilla. It’s incredible! It doesn’t have the saturated fat of the coconut milk, but I know some people don’t love the idea of tofu (for whatever reason), so there is a place in the world for all variations of vegan frosting made with simple ingredients!

95 Ellen Francis May 21, 2013

I made a chocolate cake last night and this frosting would have been amazing on it!! Next time for sure!

96 Moni Meals & Fitness May 21, 2013

You had me at “frosting” Ang! But 2 ingredient…oh heck yes. I will make sure to try the right kind of cocount milk as I have tried dud cans before.

Thanks for sharing!! :) Match made in heaven!

97 Christie May 21, 2013

Wow, I love the recipes. It’s tricky with kids to keep them loving food knowing that they are eating veggies too.

98 Katrin - therawfoodsisters.com May 22, 2013

WOW WOW WOW! Looks like chocolate heaven if you ask me :D YEEES PLEASE!!!

99 Suzanne May 22, 2013

THANK YOU Angela – great recipe! And so glad to hear that it is not just me with the coconut milk not always separating. I have made your cake balls a couple times (maybe the most loved recipe so far from the responses I get from anyone who eats them!). I also have to have several cans of milk on hand as it does not seem to work the first time (which can be a bummer since you have to fridge it overnite!). I will try the other kind once I am out of what the native forest I have now. Thanks for another great recipe

100 Cookie and Kate May 22, 2013

Well, this is brilliant! I can’t wait to try it. Now I just need an excuse to bake a cake.

101 Nic@diningwithastud May 22, 2013

LOL! This would NON be safe around me either :) oh the cupcakes that would go undecorated :o haha

102 David Gardner May 23, 2013

oh wow…cannot wait to try this!!

103 Trina May 24, 2013

I made this, and it definitely needs a good long time to re-set, but it is sooooo worth it! I almost couldn’t stop eating it off the spoon, it’s so good! I actually used a can of chilled Aroy-D coconut cream, which I buy at asian supermarkets here in Toronto. Much easier, imo.

104 Amber Vo May 25, 2013

You can buy coconut cream from Asian supermarkets. Then, you don’t have to worry about the coconut milk separating or not. I always go to a local Asian market to buy the coconut cream for coconut whipped cream or anything else I just need the cream for, and it works great! Doesn’t matter which brand so long as it says coconut cream on the front.

105 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 25, 2013

Thanks for the tip!

106 crissy May 26, 2013

I’m glad i’m not the only one that had this problem with the coconut cream! Thanks for the suggestions, will try it again!

107 Reba - Not So Perfect Life May 28, 2013

How strong is the coconut taste? I’ve had a can of coconut milk chilling in my fridge for about three weeks… was going to make thai food but I could try this!

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

I could detect the coconut taste but it wasn’t overpowering to me.

109 blanche swalwell May 28, 2013

i too bought a can of coconut milk that was all liquid but bought 2 brands so now i know which one to get …….was the best icying i have ever made and not over sweet , fluffed up super…..thanks

110 Barbara May 29, 2013

I really want to try this… strawberry season is soon here in denmark, so do you think it will work just the milk with strawberry?? No chocolate. Thanks a lot

111 Sarah May 29, 2013

Hi, Angela – A few people have mentioned simply buying a can of coconut cream. If I did that, how much of the can should I use for this recipe?

112 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2013

Im not sure Ive never used it before – sorry! Maybe 3/4 cup or so?

113 Elspeth July 20, 2013

Sarah,
I posted a reply on page 1 which may be helpful, however, I have not tried coconut cream either.

114 Vanessa May 30, 2013

I tried 2 cans of Arroyo D and didn’t work either time

115 Brooke June 3, 2013

I made this amazing frosting last week to top my son’s double layered cookie cake for his birthday. We all love cookie cake, but this frosting made it AWESOME! I have bragged to everyone about how delicious and easy it is. Can’t wait to make something for the church bakesale utilizing this frosting. Thank you for sharing your talents with us!

116 Florence June 4, 2013

can’t wait to try this- looks AMAZING!!!!!

117 belkis June 12, 2013

hi there! i was just wondering if i can freeze this and use it later?? or how long do you think it will keep in the fridge?

love from istanbul!

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2013

Hi Belkis, I do think this could be frozen and thawed, but I don’t think it would stay good in the freezer for longer than a week or so? Just guessing here. Let me know if you try it out!
I think it would stay good in the fridge for a week in an air-tight container. good luck!

119 Sarah June 12, 2013

I made the whipped coconut cream the other day to have with strawberries – so ridiculously good!

120 Sara June 14, 2013

If you don’t have a bag of chocolate chips and can’t have coconut I found if you take 3 tablespoons cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon oil of any type and mix together well. Sometimes I add a little bit of maple or brown rice syrup if I want a sweeter taste of chocolate. The ratio for cocoa powder and oil is 3-1 if you are looking for more amounts.
Thank you.

121 Magen June 16, 2013

Just made this for my dad for Father’s Day! I made it into a cake instead of cupcakes. I also made the 2- ingredient chocolate frosting! It’s soooo good! Definitely will be making it again! I used oat flour and coconut sugar.

122 Magen June 16, 2013

Made this with your cake recipe for Father’s Day! So good! I used ghirardella dark chocolate cooking chips. I also used oat flour and coconut sugar instead in the cake recipe

123 Adriana Perciballi June 19, 2013

All I can say is WOW!! How does one from eating the whole batch : ) Can’t wait to make this!!

124 Susie Leong June 24, 2013

Oooh, love the idea of not using shortening too–and powdered sugar! Brilliant!

125 Mary June 24, 2013

I use Aroy-D brand (from our local asian markets) and it’s almost ALL cream- maybe 1/4 cup of coconut water :) Yum!

126 Sarah July 2, 2013

Oh my gob, this looks so good! I may have to do some baking despite the summer heat just to try out this recipe.

127 Mandy July 3, 2013

This is fantastic!
I was trying of a way to make this into a vanilla frosting (not the vanilla whipped coconut cream)
Any ideas?
Thanks!

128 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 3, 2013

hmm maybe use vegan white chocolate chips? not sure…

129 Odre July 4, 2013

Hi! I used a can that wasn’t a “dud” – full fat and the cream separated really well. I gave it about 6 hours in the fridge once it was melted with the chocolate, and it came out really firm. But it seems that no matter how long I whipped for (using a machine) it would stay soft and wouldn’t get a frosting consistency!

Do you whip yours for a very long time? I whipped for at least 15 minutes at high speed.

130 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2013

Yes, it’s supposed to have a soft texture (think similar to regular whipped cream or even cool whip) I recommend only whipping it for a minute because whipping it heats it up and makes it even softer. Best to use a chilled bowl too.

131 Jenni July 10, 2013

Angela, I’m making this frosting right now to top Divvie’s vegan chocolate cupcakes. Super excited! Thanks for this! :)

132 Allan July 11, 2013

This has got to be the most interesting, or let me say the yummiest recipe I have come across this year: 2-ingredient chocolate fudge frosting!

By the way, you also attested to the awesomeness of this wonderful recipe by saying that it is one of the best things to have emerged from your kitchen.

I have no problems at all with the recipe, I love it, it is very simple and not tasking in any way, just two ingredients and that is all.

However, I still have my fears. One, how does one balance the whole thing to ensure that it does not come out too sweet like a bowl of sugar?

Then two, you mentioned that the coconut milk should be ‘full-fat’. Is that not going to be too much calories? With the choco?

133 Melissa July 12, 2013

I use Thai Kitchen most of the time, but if I am making whipped cream I only use Safeway Organics Coconut Milk. I think it has to be the fattiest out there and it has never ever failed to separate for me. On the special occasion days I don’t want to chance it with other brands.

134 Melissa July 12, 2013

Whoops! I of course meant to add that this recipe is a wonderful idea and I have it on the stove right now!

135 Lily July 13, 2013

Does this have a very strong coconut flavor or does the chocolate mask it well? I’m making lavender cupcakes and would prefer them to stay lavender/chocolate instead of lavender/chocolate/coconut! The frosting looks beautiful though and is exactly the texture I was looking for so I was really hoping to be able to use this recipe :)

136 sarah July 19, 2013

Hi,

I have also noticed a product in supermarkets called Coconut Cream. Could it be substituted for the coconut milk? And if so, would you still need to refridgerate overnight? It looks delicious!

137 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2013

Hi Sarah, Im sorry I don’t know – I haven’t tried it before! Maybe someone else can comment :)

138 Carmelina September 23, 2013

Someone above has said they used coconut cream and left it in the freezer (as they still got a little liquid out, and that you would need more chocolate as you end up with more cream at the end :) Only repeating what Ive read though!! Have just put my coconut cream in the fridge to give it a go :)

139 Emma August 15, 2013

Really looking forward to trying this! When I saw ‘2 ingredients’, I figured one of them would be something really hard to get hold of but no!

I wanted to ask though, have you tried to make any other flavour frosting this way, such as vanilla?

Thanks
Emma

140 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2013

No I havent tried that yet, but I wonder if it would work with vegan white choc chips? mmm

141 Jessica August 22, 2013

I was so excited about this recipe. I got the same brand coconut milk that is pictured and let it set in the ice box for 3 days. Opened it last night and it was a dud :(.

142 Lisa September 6, 2013

This recipe is a real game changer for me in the frosting world, I detest icing sugar! I made it today, so I didn’t have any cold coconut milk to separate. Being the daredevil that I am, I went ahead and used a can of coconut milk right out of the cupboard and left the cooked mixture in the fridge for a couple of hours (brand was Thai Kitchen premium coconut milk). When I whipped it up it became a little stiff, but I popped it in the microwave for about 15 seconds and whipped it again, and it was the perfect consistency for spreading on my banana cake. What a beauty, wish I could share a photo of it. Thanks for the recipe.

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2013

So glad you enjoyed it Lisa!

144 Kelly September 8, 2013

I made this to slather on my son’s first birthday cake and everyone loved it! So easy! So delicious! Thanks for providing the perfect frosting recipe!!!

145 Tracey September 16, 2013

I made this over the weekend and put it on your gluten free vegan browines. Absolutely delicious. Raving reviews from everyone. I put a couple in the freezer last night that I will sample one tonight. I need to make more for a fundraiser this weekend and I’m hoping that I can make them ahead of time and freeze them. Have you had any success with this?

146 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 16, 2013

Hey Tracey, I’m so sorry but I don’t think I’ve tried freezing them yet! Will have to try that sometime. I hope it works out for you…let me know if you end up trying it out.

147 Tracey October 8, 2013

Hi Angela,

I tried it and it was good! I found that for some strange reason it seemed to be creamier and chocolatier once it thawed. I had put it on your vegan, gluten free brownie recipe and they froze/defrosted nicely as well. The recipe makes more than I can put on the brownies but my brother-in-law finishes the icing off on its own calling it his “chocolate fudge”.

148 Nicole Evans September 17, 2013

Hi! Have you tried using Coconut Creme? They have it at Trader Joe’s and I am wondering if that would work without having to separate it out and all that?

149 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2013

Hey Nicole, I’m sorry I haven’t tried it! Let me know if you do. :)

150 Carmelina September 23, 2013

Thanks for this!! My little one cant have milk so Ive been looking for a yummy not too sugary icing to do his cake smash with! This sounds perfect!!
I was just wondering if you think it would work with white chocolate so I could colour the icing? I know white chocolate is different composition to chocolate, but it works fine in ganache?
Hopeing someone knows!!
Cheers from Australia :D

151 Connie November 4, 2013

I just purchased case of Native Forest Coconut Cream so no more worries about the milk not separating for me! It will be perfect for this recipe. Thanks!

152 Charity November 12, 2013

Hi! I just had to stop by and let you know that I used this frosting on my mom’s 50th birthday cake this past weekend. Everyone loved it! We had a some attendees present that are hostile to healthy vegan cooking, and even they couldn’t offer anything but praise.

153 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2013

That’s so great to hear! Thanks Charity. HBD to your mom!

154 Zoe November 26, 2013

This is delicious! :D

155 Alan November 27, 2013

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_milk

“When refrigerated and left to set, coconut cream will rise to the top and separate out from the milk. To avoid this in commercial sold coconut milk, an emulsifier(s) and a stabilizer(s) have to be used.”

So look at the ingredients and find coconut milk with no added emulsifiers or stabilizers.

You might be able to just buy the coconut cream directly. I wonder how this product would work in the frosting:

156 Nora Hughes December 4, 2013

I can’t stop licking my laptop screen!

157 Caron December 7, 2013

Hi – Can I make this in the morning, keep it for a few hours in a Ziploc and then ice the cupcakes at the party destination (I don’t want to frost the cupcakes and then travel with them…sounds high risk!)

Thanks

158 Diana December 7, 2013

I contacted Native Forest for the same problem with the coconut milk not separating. They told me they are using a different formulation which won’t separate and they refunded my money as well as sent me two complimentary tiny cans of the coconut cream. A product they are going to start marketing soon. I suspect it may be why they changed emulsifiers. Now you have to buy the cream And the milk

159 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2013

Thanks for the info Diana! I will add this to my post :)

160 Emma January 29, 2014

Snna.. you say you used a dud can and it worked? I just opened my chilled can and it was not separated at all, but still rather thick. When you say dud, do u mean you used a runny can of coconut milk ? Wondering what your consistancy was before chilling the frosting ?

161 Sinead February 9, 2014

Ummm….it’s my understanding that leaving food out for more than two hours is a health risk. You left the chocolate cream out all morning??? That’s pretty gross! It’s obvious your not trained or qualified to be writing about food preparation!

162 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2014

Hi Sinead,
The reason it was left out on the counter is because it was very, very cold all morning (my fridge is a bit wonky and has the tendency of freezing things at the back!).
By the way, I’m actually trained in food safety so I do take caution with these things.

163 Lynn July 11, 2015

What is wrong with you?
My food is out all the time, sometimes even overnight. And I’m fine. coconut has nothing in it, that has to be chilled, unless you wnat it chilled.
Besides of that, you can generalize. My oven cooked meals stay in the oven, when I couldnt eat them all.
You should rethink a) your behaviour and b) your living tendencies.
Third world people.

164 Julie February 12, 2014

This looks great! Does it freeze well for use at a later time or in smaller batches? Thanks!

165 Amber February 17, 2014

Oh, this is so good. I will be using this recipe over and over again for sure. I added a little powdered sugar because I wanted the frosting a bit firmer and sweeter; and a dash of salt wouldn’t hurt, but it wasn’t necessary. I used this frosting on vegan Samoa cupcakes, and they rocked! Thanks!

166 Michelle March 6, 2014

I made this recipe for frosting and mine is watery thin. Only difference is I used coconut milk which is organic by So Delicious dairy free. This is in a carton not a can. Any suggestions?

167 stephanie April 17, 2014

hello! just wanted to say that i made this frosting today using one full 13.5 ounce can of sprout’s brand coconut cream (no added sweeteners) and 10 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips and it was completely delicious! thank you for posting the recipe. the frosting ended up being more of a heavy whipped cream than a thick frosting, but i loved the consistency. it was just right on the quinoa chocolate cake i topped it with. thank you!

168 Jodie April 20, 2014

Hi Angela. I love your website! I’m new (sort of; tried it briefly a year ago) to being a vegan and really enjoying trying new recipes. I’ve quickly become a fan of coconut milk. It’s amazing what it can do! I have the last of my icing sugar to use up on some black bean brownies today and would like to try your frosting for my next batch. Do you know if it freezes well? I prefer to spend a day or two cooking and baking and then freezing most of what I made.

Happy Easter! :)

169 Karen May 4, 2014

Best. Frosting. Ever. Just made a gluten-dairy-egg-free banana cake for my husband’s birthday– and used this delicious frosting on top. Genius. Thank you so much!

170 Ishwariya June 1, 2014

Will it work if i make the coconut milk at home? Thanks in Advance

171 Wendy June 30, 2014

I made this frosting to go on the chocolate cake recipe from your cook book. I layered the chia seed jam, (i used raspberries) also from your cook book, in between the cake layers. http://ohsheglows.com/2012/06/26/magical-blueberry-vanilla-chia-seed-jam/
This dessert was rich and decadent and all the recipes tasted so goooooood together! A nice splurge for my husband’s birthday cake.

172 Alison July 16, 2014

Hi Angela,
Have you ever tried to freeze this frosting? It’s my daughter’s bday this w/e and we’re going camping to celebrate. I was thinking about making the cupcakes, frosted, ahead of time and freezing them so that they travel more easily. Any ideas or tips?

173 alrxis July 28, 2014

I was wondering if you use dairy free chocolate because regular chocolate won’t mix with the coconut cream properly or due to dairy sensitivity? Thanks in advance it looks amazing

174 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2014

Yup, I always use dairy-free chocolate – Enjoy Life for chips and for chocolate bars I use dark varieties (generally over 70% do not contain dairy but check the label)

175 Melissa @deloom August 21, 2014

This looks so easy! …and insanely delicious! I’ve printed the recipe and will use it when I have to make cupcakes in a few weeks. Thank you for sharing! xo

176 Kathleen August 30, 2014

Instead of whipping to make the frosting roll them into little truffles add flavor and dust with cocoa powder..YUM!

177 Roopa September 1, 2014

Hi Angrla, quick question-I tried making this using white chocolate and it never hardened even after being in the fridge overnight. It was super runny and no amount if whipping could help it. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

178 Bonny Lee September 3, 2014

This recipe is a take on a whipped ganache. I’m not sure if I’d like the coconut flavor in the frosting. You could substitute heavy cream for the coconut milk. I always melt the chocolate and cream in the microwave. Depending on the ratio of chocolate to cream, you end up with a thick ganache – to make truffles, a medium ganache, or a thinner ganache – for a poured glaze. The ratio for the thicker ganache is 1 to 1, for truffles or a whipped frosting.

179 Kathy September 5, 2014

Hi,has anyone tried to make a cream cheese frosting with the canned coconut milk?

180 Suzanne September 12, 2014

Yum! This is awesome! :)

181 Bev September 21, 2014

Do you know if it’s ok to freeze the leftovers? Because the batch of frosting was more than I needed and I don’t want it to go bad in the refrigerator. And I don’t want to gain back the 25# I just lost :)

182 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2014

I’m sorry I’m not sure as I have not tried freezing it before.

183 Shoshana Mazal October 6, 2014

Is 18.8 % fat considered full fat? Here in Israel there is coconut liquid and cocnut cream. I’m assuming you mean the latter.
Thanks,
Shoshana

184 Atourina October 15, 2014

Native Forest— coconut milk from Thailand didn’t separate :( I’m crossing my fingers and chalking it up to Mercury being retrograde. I will try again because this recipe looks too good!

185 Mich October 19, 2014

Awesome recipe! It is a shame that vegan chocolate costs more than regular chocolate. It will cost me $7 just to make this frosting. Yikes! Any recommendations for other vegan, possibly cheaper brands?

186 nichole November 18, 2014

I found coconut and coconut butter, and coconut milk but not coconut cream?
Are oil and butter the same thing as the cream?
Thanks

187 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 19, 2014

Hi Nichole, Actually what you want to get is the FULL FAT canned coconut milk. Refrigerate it for 24 hours, open can, drain off water, and only use the remaining white cream portion. Hope this helps.

188 Ashley November 21, 2014

So i made this, and it was so thick more like fudge, delicious fudge, but i was wondering if i buy the small can of premium coconut do i need 1 or 2 of them for this recipe??

189 Beril Akbulut December 12, 2014

umm can i use coconut cream instead of coconut milk? If so how much more or less would I use and what differences would there be to the method and the final outcome?

190 deb January 6, 2015

Hello,
I was recommended to your site for a couple of recipes. I’m not sure how to email you so I hope it’s okay to comment here!

I was told this recipe is amazing and it certainly looks to be, but I was wondering if there’s a “white” version as I want to make a white icing. I read the recipe for the coconut whipped cream but I would really like to make more of a traditional frosting. Please let me know if you have any recipes for white icing using coconut milk (or I’m open to other suggestion as well). Thank you!

191 Renata January 8, 2015

can you plz email me where to buy native forest full-fat without guar gum organic coconut milk in a can plz?

192 Shannon January 29, 2015

This recipe was a huge fail for me. I’m super bummed because these chocolate chips aren’t cheap and it took a lot of steps to make it…for it to just be runny. I’m really disappointed. :(

193 Becky February 5, 2015

I made this last night/this morning using Thai Kitchen organic unsweetened coconut milk and Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips (eyeballing quantities based on the proportions given) and it didn’t peak like yours did but I think it still could have been used as frosting for cupcakes, cookies, etc. with no problem. I added some unsweetened cocoa powder and it did peak, though obviously it changed the flavor, making it more intense and less frosting-y.

194 Sue February 6, 2015

Just wondering if you can just use a fan of coconut cream and skip the step of overnighting the milk?! Do you get the same results? I have a can of trader joe coconut cream I might try it! Thanks

195 karen February 11, 2015

I have a cocoa intolerance. Is there a vanilla option still with no dairy?

196 Joann February 11, 2015

I just made this yesterday for my husband’s birthday cake. I had a two layer GF, DF pumpkin cake and this frosting was deliciously perfect! After melting, I had it in the fridge for 4 hours and it came out rock hard. After letting it sit out awhile it was still too thick to whip. I added more cream from another can, some melted coconut oil, and a tad bit of maple syrup. It was perfectly smooth! My inlaws didn’t have a clue that it was DF or GF! We topped it with DF, GF ice cream and it was a big hit for all. Thank you!

197 Joann February 11, 2015

Oh! I used Native Forest Full Fat Coconut Milk and the Enjoy Life chocolate chips. I had an extra can of Native Forest’s Coconut Cream and used that for the extra cream I needed when whipping.

198 Megan February 24, 2015

I did a comparison of three different canned coconut milks (found at the bottom of the post I’m linking here) to see which performed best in whipping it. Some might find the comparison helpful. I love the idea of combining with chocolate chips. Thanks for the post!

199 melinda blair February 28, 2015

Could you use almond milk instead of coconut milk If so how much. Melinda Blair

200 tilly March 1, 2015

I use blocks of coconut cream for the Asian deli (toko) with a bit of water. Also when making small batches you cut off what you need, the rest stores well or can be frozen.

201 Emily March 2, 2015

I made this recipe this weekend to go along with the chocolate cake recipe from the OSG Cookbook. I used the same brand of coconut milk Angela used (Native Forest) and it turned out great! I refrigerated the frost for about three hours, took it out for 20 minutes and then used a stand mixer to whip into frosting. It was delicious!!!

202 stacy March 2, 2015

This looks sooo good :) I have tree nut allergy that included coconut…any suggestions for a cream that is dairy, gluten, AND tree nut free???

203 Donna March 8, 2015

Will this frosting taste like coconut at all?

204 Mare July 5, 2015

Why is coconut milk that does not separate considered a dud? Isn’t the thick cream what you are after? I buy Acme/Albertson’s brand because it is always very thick with barely any liquid and use it in tea, chai, coffee and smoothies. Other brands seem to be 1/3rd liquid.

Thanks!

205 Jan H August 23, 2015

Do you know by weight or measure how much coconut cream it would be by itself? I have a jar of just coconut cream instead of using the separated milk. Thanks!

206 Brandy September 4, 2015

I just used the Thai Coconut Milk today and it does still separate.

207 Julie September 12, 2015

I was wondering if the 2 ingredent icing can be made with soy or rice milk instead? The little girl I am making it for is allergic to nuts, eggs and dairy. If not can you direct me to a recipe that may be suitable? Thanks, Julie

208 Stacie September 18, 2015

Can it be made with regular milk without the coconut milk? I am not a fan of coconut.

209 Maya September 29, 2015

Do you think it’s possible to turn this into a coffee frosting instead of chocolate?

210 Megan October 11, 2015

I have finally found the best brand of coconut milk – CocoThai. You should be able to find it at an Asian grocery store. Thanks for the recipe!

211 Cheryl December 24, 2015

Is there any other milk that would work, not a fan of coconut? I really want to try this but like I said yuk on coconut!

212 Linda January 9, 2016

Goodness Me in Burlington carries Coconut cream in a can. I’m sure that Organic Garage must have it out your way… It’s thicker than the milk. Essentially the same as scooping off the top. I think I paid about $3.50 for the can (same size as milk) – I used it to make vegan fudge (pretty much the same thing…enjoy choc chips and a few additional ingredients) When I was looking for it, I also noticed that Walmart.ca carries it online (??)
Hope this helps…

213 Virginia January 17, 2016

Try buying Native Forest No Gar brand. I have found it only in Whole Foods Markets, cost $3.75 or so.

214 Elaine January 28, 2016

Where do I find dairy free chocolate chips?