Tropical Pineapple Boozy Baked Oatmeal

pineapplebakedoatmeanvegan-4473

If Pineapple Upside Down Cake was morphed into breakfast, this would be it.

Shredded coconut, rolled oats, pineapple, banana, and a shot of coconut rum for good measure, makes this one of the tastiest oatmeal recipes to ever cross my lips. The coconut rum accents the tropical flavours in the dish, but you can always leave it out if you need to. Rum extract or coconut extract would work fine too I’m sure.

Cinnamon and ginger add to the party-in-your-mouth! Oh and it’s a party I tell ya.

pineapple-2718

This baked oatmeal is sure to win over a crowd and it would be a lovely addition to a brunch menu. Try serving it with some whipped coconut cream to really take it up a notch. Rest assured though, it tastes amazing without any toppings at all. This isn’t one of those baked oatmeal’s that you need to add a bunch of things on top to make it taste good. It’s absolutely amazing served plain straight from the dish.

pineapplebakedoatmeal

pineapplebakedoatmeanvegan-4428

Throwing it together only takes about 10 minutes and then you’ll need to bake it for about an hour. The smell when you pull it from the oven is just heavenly – the wait was sure worth it.

Once it’s baked the most challenging part is letting it cool down for about 10-15 minutes before digging in. More waiting, I know, but that baby is sizzling h-o-t. When you take it out of the oven, it will look under baked in some parts, but this is totally normal (I reassure myself this multiple times a week in the kitchen!). When it’s still warm it has the texture of stove-top oatmeal (with firm edges), but once it cools completely it’s fairly solid and firm, like a soft oatmeal square. I gave the pineapple rounds a generous sprinkle of cinnamon and coconut sugar before going in the oven – never a bad idea!

pineapplebakedoatmeal2

pineapplebakedoatmeanvegan-4435

Tropical Pineapple Boozy Baked Oatmeal

Vegan, oil-free, soy-free, gluten-free (only if using gluten-free oats)

Email, text, or print this recipe

Serves 6

Dry ingredients:

• 1.5 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup oat flour
  • 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt

Wet ingredients:

• 2.5 cups almond milk (or coconut milk)
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup, to taste
  • 2 tbsp coconut rum (optional – or try 1/2-1 tsp rum extract or coconut extract)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 large banana (or two small), peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple
  • 6 fresh pineapple rings (about 1/2-inch thick)

1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a 2 or 2.5 quart baking dish. I used a 2.5 quart baking dish (10 cup) and it was a tad bit large, so I think 2 quart would work just fine.

2. Stir all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.

3. Add the wet ingredients (milk, maple syrup, optional coconut rum or extract, and vanilla) into the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Fold in the chopped banana and chopped pineapple.

4. Pour oatmeal mixture into the baking dish and spread out evenly. Place the 6 pineapple rings on top of the oatmeal and sprinkle with cinnamon and coconut sugar (or other granulated sugar).

5. Bake at 350F, uncovered, for 55-65 minutes or until the oatmeal is golden and firm in some spots, but still soft in others. Allow the oatmeal to cool in the dish for 10-15 minutes before digging in. Serve with whipped coconut cream to take this dish over the top!

Nutritional Info

pineapplebakedoatmeanvegan-4442

If you’re looking for other oatmeal breakfast recipes, check out these below:

Flourless Strawberry Apple Breakfast Crisp & On the Glo Basic Oatmeal Squares:

veganoatmealrecipes

And now leftovers are calling my name…

Hope you enjoy your weekend!

1 Terra May 10, 2013

Happy Friday! That looks yummy! :)

2 Nicole May 10, 2013

I love that Eric is your hand model sometimes! Wish I could get Blake to do the same ;)

Are you celebrating your birthday this weekend or next? Either way, I hope you have a fantastic weekend. See you soon.

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

hah – he’s not the most eager hand model. The pay really sucks, but he gets paid with food so I guess that helps. ;)
My birthday is on the 16th – we’ll have to celebrate both our birthdays in a few weeks!

4 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan May 10, 2013

I love the pineapple cutting picture, what a model you have! This looks crazy good!

5 Katie @ The Almost Vegan May 10, 2013

OH MY GOODNESS!! You just made my day! I was just talking with my mom about Pineapple Upside Down Cake … it was my fave as a kid and have not had it in YEARS! I must make this one asap! Thank you!!

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

Glad to hear that – hope you enjoy as much as we did!

7 Kelly @ Vegan Iowan May 10, 2013

Just when I thought every possible oatmeal recipe had been thought of, you come up with this! Looks fantastic and like a wonderful variation on the typical bland breakfast. I’m going on a tropical vacation next week and this looks like the perfect pick-me-up when we return to the cold!

8 LisaR @ Who Stole My Baby? May 10, 2013

Yum. Pineapple slices look like those hole-protector stickers to me, though. I think I’ve worked in an office too long when my breakfast starts to look like office supplies.

9 Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 10, 2013

OMG, that made me laugh out loud. I’d never thought of the connection before, but you’re totally right!

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

That’s funny – they kinda do! I thought they looked a bit like boobs hah.

11 Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day May 10, 2013

Oh my gosh, this looks amazing! I thought I had left oatmeal behind for the summer months, but I may have to bring it back and get into a tropical state of mind. Yum!

12 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health May 10, 2013

This oatmeal looks beautifully delicious! It would be perfect for a Mothers Day brunch. And I love your background, is it turquoise cement? Makes me think of the Caribbean and vacation, sigh.

13 Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 10, 2013

Oh, that looks amazing! Oats + booze = always a win. (IMHO, at least.) :) Happy Friday, and have an awesome weekend!

14 Lauren May 10, 2013

Hi! I was wondering what brand of baking dish is used in these pictures?!

Thanks :)

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

Hey Lauren, It says “Strawberry Street” on the bottom – it’s from Winners or Homesense :)

16 Amanda @SpiritualSweat May 10, 2013

Holy moly are my eyes seeing this correctly?!! This looks amazing! Looks like I’ve found my weekend breakfast… :)

17 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 10, 2013

I LOVE roasting or just sauteing pineapple. I put it in my TVP oatmeal with coconut… baked is just brilliant though! Sounds like a great Mother’s Day to me! :)

18 Dara May 10, 2013

This looks outstanding. Although I’m slightly thrown off by the banner add that encourages me to “wake up to eggs!”

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

Hi Dara,
Thanks for letting me know – we can’t see the ads that are run in the US and elsewhere, but we do block as many non-vegan brands as possible (we literally have hundreds blocked!) with our ad hosts. If you email me a screenshot of the ad (or better yet the URL) this will help in locating it so it can be removed. Send it to press[at]ohsheglows[dot]com
thanks for your help!

20 Sarah @ Yogi in Action May 10, 2013

This looks beautiful and tasty! Perfect for a Mothers Day brunch this weekend. Thanks for the great idea :)

21 Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) May 10, 2013

This looks delicious, its making me hungry and lunch is so far away! I love the pineapple, rum and coconut combo, its such a great idea to turn it into an oatmeal dish. I made overnight oats with dried mango and coconut a couple weeks ago and it was delicious, I’m sure mango would taste great in this recipe as well.

22 Ashlee@HisnHers May 10, 2013

Oh my gosh. I think this is the best recipe I’ve seen in LONG time. I CANT WAIT to try it!! Mmmmm

23 Erin @ The Grass Skirt May 10, 2013

As always, this sounds amazing! I might have to make it on Mother’s Day. :)

24 Erika @ balancedspoon.com May 10, 2013

This looks fabulous and made my stomach start growling. Yummmy ;)

25 Chef Amber Shea May 10, 2013

Booze at breakfast…you just reaffirmed you are my kinda girl. :P

26 Jenni May 10, 2013

Yum, coconut and pineapple. Always a winning combination! I’m liking the addition of cinnamon here!

27 Marcie@flavorthemoments May 10, 2013

I’ve made two different versions of baked oatmeal, and loved them. This one looks very fun and those flavors would have me in tropical paradise.

28 heidi May 10, 2013

Oh my! It looks so good! I honestly don’t know how you come up with your recipes – they are so delicious :) I am definitely going to make this pineapple baked oatmeal one of the Next days.

29 Katy @ Katy's Kitchen May 10, 2013

I think you’ve given the mimosa a run for its money here. Coconut rum in oatmeal? That sounds even more delicious than coconut rum in a cocktail. ;)

30 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 10, 2013

This oatmeal sounds wonderful! Can’t wait to try it out!

31 Josephine May 10, 2013

Wow, I really want this! But waiting so long for breakfast? When I get up I feel like “I need food, nooow!” :D Hmm, maybe I’ll just make it for dinner some time.

32 Krista Jett May 10, 2013

yum! I can’t wait to try this! Here in Rwanda we get fresh pineapple every day. It’s amazing and this recipe is perfect. I think some chopped macademia nuts could add a nice crunch to the top. Maybe I’ll try that little addition. Thanks!

33 Kat May 10, 2013

This looks perfectly delicious, and what a great breakfast for summer!

34 Alex @ Delicious-Knowledge.com May 10, 2013

This looks fantastic!! I love the tropical twist on oatmeal, definitely making this soon!

35 Katrin - therawfoodsisters.com May 10, 2013

What a great idea! Love the pics :) You are such an inspiration!

36 James May 10, 2013

This just looks AMAZING. I’ll have to try it soon!

37 Christa @ Edible Balance May 10, 2013

Oh man… once I am able to have these foods again I will be all over this!! Crossing fingers that I will be able to :) just gorgeous!

38 Tiffany May 10, 2013

Sounds delicious! Thank you for the recipe!

How did you cut the whole pineapple into those beautiful rings? Can you please do a tutorial? :)

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

I will certainly keep it in mind – Eric is the pro at it! :)

40 Averie @ Averie Cooks May 10, 2013

This is the best take on oatmeal ever! Pineapple is a fave of mine ( I made a Hawaiian Bread overnight French Toast Bake with Pineapple & Mango a month or so ago) – but the boozy part pushes it over the good edge. Love it!

41 Emily @ The Sunny Studio May 10, 2013

This looks divine! My version of baked oatmeal is very plain (and I add PB&J or other toppings to spice it up), but I love this fancier version!! Definitely something I would serve to guests for a fun summery brunch. Thanks!

42 J @ Chocolate Covered Chickpeas May 10, 2013

This is such a creative take on baked oatmeal! Definitely going to pick up a pineapple on my next visit to the grocery store!

43 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 10, 2013

Ooh boozy breakfasts! I like it! As a former coconut loather, I can’t seem to get enough of it these days and love love love the pineapple combo. Is Eric’s payment as your hand model first dibs on taste testing? ;) Have a great weekend Ange!

44 Jeanette May 10, 2013

Dang, that looks good! It’s all my favorites mixed up in one dish! I am going to have to find an occasion to use this recipe soon.

45 Cole May 10, 2013

I have a recent obsession with coconut. I will definitely be trying this recipe.

46 Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} May 10, 2013

I love baked oatmeal, this looks spectacular!

47 Keri May 10, 2013

Pineapple upside down cake is sooo good. And makes me want to watch 50 first dates :)

I can’t wait to try this recipe!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

48 Jennifer May 11, 2013

This sounds amazing! I love the flavor combo of pineapple and coconut. I was just wondering if I could sub all purpose flour for the oat flour?

49 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 11, 2013

What a wonderful recipe! It sounds simply amazing!

50 Lisa May 11, 2013

This looks amazing! Booze for brekkie? Yes please!

51 Alexa May 11, 2013

Hi Angela,

I’ve been following your blog for a long time now. I love the recipes, the squash burrito is one of my absolute favourites. I’m not vegan, I simple like your positive attitude, your way of inspiring writing and ideas. The green monster brought me here first. Since then I’ve been drinking green smoothies too and feel so much healthier and full of energy now. Thank you so much.

The beeing vegan thing is not really for me, I love meat and fish too much, but I must confess it sounds so healthy and good and all, that I considered to try although for a few times now. So I tried to search the net for pros and cons and found A LOT… A free chapter of this book made me order it: The Vegeterian Myth, Lierre Keith.

And I was just curious, if you know this book and what you think about it? So I thought I ask you. Would be nice, if you let me know, or maybe write something about it on your blog some day. Thanks!

52 Ruth May 11, 2013

Pineapple and cocconut (or rum extract) with oatmeal sounds amazing! I really love your blog and frequently pin your recipes. Are you writing a cookbook right now? I live in Edmonton and would love to support a Canadian Blogger whose recipes I love!
Ruth

53 Shiree May 11, 2013

My Tropical Pineapple Boozy Baked Oatmeal is baking right now and my house smells amazing! I used rice milk instead of almond milk (because that was in the fridge). Hope it tastes as good as it smells! I look forward to adding some coconut whipped cream when I bring it to my parent’s house for a nice mother’s day weekend treat. Thanks for sharing your recipes. So far they have all been fun and delicious :)

54 Amy May 11, 2013

My local grocery store did not have oat flour or unsweetened coconut – do you have to go to a specialty store to find these items? Looks so good!

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2013

Hi Amy, I make oat flour in my blender – just process the oats on the highest speed until a flour forms. Works like a charm!

56 Alex @ Raw Recovery May 11, 2013

This looks really, really good–especially since I recently had a pineapple upside down cake with lychee ice cream and have been craving it ever since!

57 Cathleen May 11, 2013

Just too much sugar. There just seems to be a lot of desserts and not enough healthful main course meals.

58 Anita May 11, 2013

This does look delicious, but man I do love your On the Glow oatmeal squares. I bake a batch every few weeks, cut them up and slice each of them in half. Then I freeze them individually and take one out the night before. They are all ready for a quick breakfast, all i have to do is smear the middle with homemade almond butter and sliced bananas. So filling and delicious. I do have a fresh pineapple in my refrigerator, so I’ll probably try this oatmeal tomorrow morning.

59 Kat May 12, 2013

Oh my, that looks amazing… What kind of baking powder do you use? Non- sodium pyrophosphate? i can’t seem to find a good one

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2013

I use an aluminum-free baking powder – sorry I can’t recall the brand!

61 lea May 12, 2013

I made this recipe today. Coconut, pineapple, and banana…..pleez…. Instead of using a pan, I used a silicone muffin tin. I couldn’t wait for breakfast so I had it for dessert tonight. I became vegetarian one new recipe at a time and if I keep hitting homeruns with your recipes…. Thanks Angela

62 Lara May 13, 2013

Wheeeeeeee I saw your Veggie Girl Power interview on Healthy Happy Life and it made me so happy! I love to see how your blog gets bigger and bigger and how you spread your wonderful recipes among the “blogosphere”.
Shh… I have a secret: Yours are my absolute favourite recipes. I haven’t tried a single recipe I didn’t like and they always seem so easy. I can’t explain to myself why every. single. recipe. of yours is so gorgeous! (But don’t tell the others…;))

Love, Lara

63 Bonnielee Cuevas May 13, 2013

This is super delicious. I am always in search of variety because I feel like I fall into the same food patters and thats when I overeat and snack on things I shouldn’t.

64 Anna @ Your Healthy Place May 13, 2013

I will take boozy oatmeal any day! Haha that sounds heavenlllly…

65 char eats greens May 14, 2013

Yum, Angela!!! Coconut rum in breakfast?! A-okay in my books ;)

66 Faye May 14, 2013

I made this for Mother’s Day and it was great!! And so pretty!! And the leftovers are even better!! Thanks for all the great recipes – love, love, love your blog!! (Thats a lot of exclamation points!)

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2013

Thanks Faye! So glad it was a hit :)

68 Angela @ The Yoga Life Chicago May 14, 2013

You are amazing! I love all your recipes and this one is making me hungry for breakfast. I try so hard to be gluten-free when I can but stuff like this makes it pretty easy when it comes to breakfast. Can’t wait to try it. Great post! :)

Big hugs from Chicago.

69 Moni Meals & Fitness May 14, 2013

I think this is the best oatmeal I have seen in a wayyyyyyy long time. I am a huge pineapple lover also (especially when in Hawaii!) Thanks for sharing Ang!

70 Katie May 15, 2013

OOoh this looks yummy! Could I bake it ahead of time and let it sit for a few hours before serving? Would that be ok?

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2013

Hi Katie, I haven’t tried that myself but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work! If I was making it in advance, I’d probably cook it for 2/3 of the time. Let it sit on the stovetop covered with tin foil (poke a few holes) and then just before serving, bake it for the last 1/3 of the time. It should work?

72 Ashley May 15, 2013

Just catching up on posts and this looks AH-mazing! Also just made my first vegan baked oatmeal yesterday. Wish you were here to help me polish off the pan! :)

73 Sarah May 15, 2013

You are a superstar! I made this last night and it is delish! I use agave instead of maple syrup (ran out of maple syrup making your coconut macaroons, also great btw!) and skipped the rum. Smells and tastes divine. Thanks for continuing to inspire me!

74 christina.vd May 18, 2013

Yum! I made this oatmeal today with a few modifications (coco milk instead of AM, oat bran instead of oat flour, 1/2 steel cut oats and 1/2 large flake oats, less maple syrup, chopped pecans on top, eliminated the booze and mixed fresh mango throughout) and it was delicious!!! Thank you and enjoy the long weekend!

75 Elizabeth @ HobbyLobbyist May 18, 2013

No joke, I want to host a brunch just so I have an excuse to make this. Yum!

76 Karin May 18, 2013
77 Leanne May 19, 2013

You are wonderfully creative! This looks delicious. Do you think ground flax would work as a substitute for oat flour? If so, do you think I should use the same amount of flax as flour?

78 Nicole Ledoux May 21, 2013

I made this two days ago and it was fabulous! The only thing I would suggest is to add a bit more chopped pineapple to the dish and chop it really small so that each bite has the delicious flavour of baked pineapple. Soo delicious! Thanks!

79 Elle May 26, 2013

This recipe sounds fresh and perfect for the upcoming summer!

I guess it’s a good thing that this baked and it reduces the alcohol content from the rum (or else we’d all have a very fun morning).

I was thinking I could try this with overnight oats, because I tend to be pretty short on time in the morning, but I’d probably have to omit the booze.

I will probably be making this on a day off! I can’t wait to make it…

80 Patty Sylvest June 1, 2013

I will be trying some of your recipes. I have problems with chronic migraines with some food triggers that I’ve identified most of, acid reflux (with a hiatal hernia that I hope to get fixed soon) and IBS. So I juggled at least 3 food lists and try to alternate what I can and cannot eat and try to get the vegetables that I need.

81 Kathy Fortner June 2, 2013

I made this last night for breakfast this morning. It was so quick, easy and delicious! What a wonderful tropical twist on my favorite breakfast. It’s great for everyday, company, or brunch. Thanks for sharing!

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 3, 2013

Hi Kathy, So happy to hear you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know :)

83 Stephanie March April 21, 2016

Kathy (or Angela)— Did you just make it ahead and cook it the next morning? Or did you cook it when you made it and reheat in the morning? I would like to make this for a company breakfast and would like to do what I can ahead of time and still serve it hot and fresh in the morning.

84 Caitlin June 4, 2013

This sounds *so* amazing, I really want to try it! Do you have any suggestions of what I could sub for banana? I assume it’s there for a creamy texture or to bind the ingredients? Do you think applesauce would work if it’s for binding? My boyfriend hates bananas. Although if I can’t sub for bananas I think I’ll still make it and have it all to myself! ;)

85 Alannah June 26, 2013

Hi Angela,
I made both this oatmeal bake and your Rustic Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Cake for the seniors at the assisted living home I work at, and they have loved both recipes! They can be a tough crowd to please (especially when presented with “new” recipes) so the fact that they loved it means a lot… and I didn’t even include the rum! lol.
Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for providing many amazing recipes.
Have a good long weekend,
alannah

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 26, 2013

Alannah – that is great news!! I’m so happy to imagine them enjoying my recipes. Thanks for sharing :)

87 Ashlee July 3, 2013

Is there any other item that can be used in replacement of the oat flour?

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2013

Hi Ashlee, I havent tried it with any other flour, but I assume other flours might work. I would try raw buckwheat flour or even almond flour or rice flour. good luck!

89 Julia (Newfoundland) August 10, 2013

Hi there!! I’d like to make this recipe in my crockpot tonight… any suggestions so I don’t dry it out?! It would be greatly appreciated!! :)

90 Julia (Newfoundland) August 10, 2013

I think I am going to go with 1.5 cups of steel cut oats to 5 cups of almond milk. I’ve got about 5 hours to make up my mind… lol !!

91 Julia (Newfoundland) August 11, 2013

Turned out perfectly! Absolutely delicious! Thanks, as always, for the wonderful recipe :)

92 Kayla January 11, 2014

I’ve made this twice now and love it. I’ve changed the recipe to a slow cooker recipe with steel cut oatmeal instead (two cups of oatmeal, a box of coconut milk ~ 2.5 cups, 3.5 cups of water, and about 4 hours on low in the slow cooker) you could probably overnight it if you add more water. Making it in the slow cooker, you lose out on the crispness but there is much more flavour, especially on the pineapple end. Super tasty; highly recommended.

93 Helaina February 5, 2014

Is there a way to make this as single serving or does it keep in fridge well for one week?

94 Bethany February 23, 2014

I’ve had this pinned for a while and it’s so pretty I use it as the cover for my Everything Oatmeal board. I finally got around to making it, with mostly steel cut oats (no flour) and no added sugar, but more mashed banana for sweetness and tart cherries in water (used some of the water too). Holy moly delicious!!!!! I am an oatmeal fanatic and have tried tons of recipes. This one knocks them all out of the park! Thank you! Can’t wait to get your book.

95 Rebecca April 9, 2014

Perfect for Easter Sunday brunch! Will it keep if you pre-bake it earlier in the day and heat it up just before eating?

96 Angela April 15, 2014

Just wanted to pop in and say that I bookmarked this recipe awhile ago after searching recipes with not too many ingredients–finally made it and LOVE it! Will definitely make again and hopefully perfect by learning how to actually cut a pineapple :). I’m awful at cooking and am happy to have found a simple recipe I can do! So thanks!

97 Como perder barriga March 3, 2015

Delicious recipe. Thank you for sharing with us. Here in Brazil will love.

98 Stephanie March April 21, 2016

This sounds absolutely delicious! How many does it serve? I am attending an event for about 10-12 and am wondering if I should double the recipe.
Also, if i want to cut down on the time in the morning, could I put it together ahead of time and keep it in the fridge overnight to cook in the morning?
Or possibly cook it part way the night before and finish cooking in the morning?
Thanks!

99 Angela Liddon April 26, 2016

Hi Stephanie, The recipe serves 6 people, so it sounds like you may want to double it for your event. I’d suggest preparing it the night before (without cooking) and then cooking it the day of so it’s nice and fresh. However, preparing it the night before means that the oats are going to absorb a lot of milk, so my guess is that the cook time would be less if going this route. Best to keep an eye on it and check it early to see if it’s ready sooner. Hope this helps!

100 Saiba mais April 28, 2016

Excellent recipe , pineapple in Brazil is quite common .
I love this fruit !

101 Angela Liddon April 29, 2016

I’m glad you enjoyed it! :)

102 Thierry May 3, 2016

You are awesome! Congratulations.

103 Cássia May 3, 2016

I’m running the net and when I find such a good content so go crazy! Thank you.