8 Things I’m Loving Lately – Spring Edition!

vegan 3345   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – Spring Edition!

It’s hard to believe that it’s been 4 months since my last things I’m loving lately post. Apparently, I wasn’t too excited over anything in the winter! Not surprising. Here are a handful of things I’m loving lately…feel free to share yours below too.

1. Goji Berries in smoothies

I don’t buy goji berries often due to their steep price, but they are fun for a treat now and then. And boy do they pack a nutritional bang for their buck! This particular mix above is made up of a 1 whole seedless orange (peeled of course), 1 tbsp soaked goji berries, 1/3 cup soaking water, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 3/4 cup strawberries, coconut oil and ice. A vitamin C powerhouse.

2. Fresh mint in smoothies

So far I’ve been able to keep 2 mint plants alive for the past few weeks (knock on wood). I love adding a handful of mint leaves into my morning smoothies for a fresh pick me up. Just one more way to sneak some green into your day.

vegan 3357   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – Spring Edition!

3. Buckwheat Crispbread crackers

These are just about the simplest crackers on earth. The ingredients list? Organic buckwheat. That’s it. I admit, I’m not a huge fan of the flavour of these plain, but they sure are great dipping vehicles for hummus and guacamole.

4. Homemade Beet Juice Lip Gloss

When I posted this on Instagram the other day, a lot of you were curious about it so I figured it was worth mentioning. I’m wearing the homemade gloss in the pic below – the beet juice gives a light berry stain and the vitamin E oil works as well as a clear gloss. You could also use coconut oil, but it won’t give you that lasting sticky shine. All you do is cut a small piece (maybe 1cm x 3cm) of red beet and then rub the cut side (juicy part) of the beet all over your lips until it looks evenly distributed. Top with a thin layer of vitamin E oil all over your lips and smack ‘em around to spread. The key is to make sure your lips are not dry or cracked before putting on the beet stain or the juice will settle in dry patches. Can it be blended into a pre-made mix? I haven’t tried it yet, but I’d like to. I assume you’d have to extract the juice and then mix it with the vitamin E oil in a small jar. Does it last long? I’ve never found any lip glosses to last very long, so I’d say it’s about the same.

vegan 3359   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – Spring Edition! angela 160543   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – Spring Edition!

5. Sprouting seeds

I finally took the plunge and bought my first bag of sprouting seeds! Well, make that a year ago. They got shoved to the back of my cupboard and forgotten. I absolutely love sprouts on wraps and salads so it’s time I started making my own. I’ll try to report back once I’ve gotten the hang of it. I checked on them this morning (see below) and I’m seeing the first signs of germination.

6. Homemade Maple Butter

In workout news, I recently made a second batch of Maple Butter! There really are no words to describe how good this stuff is…you really just have to taste it for yourself.

vegan 3361   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – Spring Edition! maple cream maple butter 1497   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – Spring Edition!sprouting 3375   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – Spring Edition!

7. Zen Budda Buttery-style Spread (Raw, Vegan, Gluten-free)

A golden, buttery spread made from coconut oil? Yes, you heard that right! Coconut oil, olive oil, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, garlic and onion powder, and sea salt are the only ingredients in this vegan, raw, and gluten-free spread. It’s nothing like Earth Balance, but it’s more of a cheesy spread that works great on toast, garlic bread, or crackers. I think I’m going to have to try and re-create this for the blog sometime…

vegan 3365   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – Spring Edition! vegan 3367   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – Spring Edition!

8. Gain Abs App

In other workout news, I love (to hate) this app – not only is it simple to use, but it’s the only thing that can force me to do 4 planks in a row! Well, make that 3 planks in a row because I usually skip the last one. You can specify the plank duration, rest duration, and how many sets (does anyone actually do more than 1 set?). I like to spontaneously drop on the office floor for a mid-day plank assault! Arrrrrr. It’s probably the worst 3 minutes of my day, but it just works so good and cursing like a sailor really helps with the pain.

vegan 3372   8 Things I’m Loving Lately – Spring Edition!

What foods, products, or apps are you loving lately? Share below.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 10, 2013

Even though ab work takes up much less time than the rest of my workouts, it’s easy to skip it – I’ll have to check out that app!

Johanna April 10, 2013

I can’t find anything on the web about Zen Budda. It just directs me to a corrected spelling. I’ll keep trying.

Kim @ Cooking in the City April 10, 2013

I am definitely intrigued by the Zen Budda! I found it online a couple places, like here: https://www.upayanaturals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DRF-008, but shipping to the US is way expensive.

LisaR @ Who Stole My Baby? April 10, 2013

I would totally sprout things around my house, if I weren’t afraid of the “distinct old man smell”, as Creed puts it.

Johanna April 10, 2013

one more try, and i found it.

Jen G. April 10, 2013

There’s a couple of great recipes on Zero Waste Home (http://zerowastehome.blogspot.com/2010/03/zero-waste-recipes.html). The author has beet-based lip/cheek stain and a vitamin E balm recipe, along with some other good homemade beauty products, cleaners and kitchen staples.

steph April 10, 2013

damn you really do glow

Laura Thomas April 10, 2013

Where do you find the Zen Budda? Would love a link! Or perhaps it’s a future copycat recipe???

I used to be so intimidated by sprouting but I got myself a metal gauze attachment for my mason jars and it works like a charm. I have fresh, beautiful, crunchy sprouts for a fraction of the cost of the store-bought ones.

I just discovered Maple Butter when I moved to NY state and it’s actually the best thing ever, can’t wait to try your recipe :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2013

I think I bought it at Organic Garage – it’s a company based out of Toronto called RawFoodz. :)

Seraphina April 10, 2013

Hi Angela, goji berries are the same as wolfberries, which you should be able to get for cheaper at Chinese shops/medicinal halls. I grew up eating them in soups (they are traditionally believed to be good for one’s eyesight) and was amused to see them become a health fad.

Laura Thomas April 10, 2013

Oooh thanks, I found a link: http://www.rawfoodz.ca/our_products.html

Doesn’t seem like they sell in the US though :((( One more reason to make the trip up North! I’ve been looking for an excuse to take the 4 hr drive to Toronto!

Jill April 10, 2013

Really? good tip!

Alexandra @ Lean Green Healthy Machine April 10, 2013

Using beet juice and vitamin E oil as a homemade lip gloss is brilliant.
I’m guessing that the beet juice alone could be used as a lip stain?
Homemade products that avoid gross chemicals and are simple to create are my new obsession. Thanks for the inspiration!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan April 10, 2013

The Zen Budda looks amazing, I can’t wait to try it! I agree Angela, planks are the WORST!

Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife April 10, 2013

I love new workout apps! thanks for sharing! One is good enough for me though :P

Janine April 10, 2013

Ooooohhhh, I LOVE mint in green drinks. IF you can find it, there is a chocolate mint plant that is an awesome addition to green drinks. Mine has been very hardy in zone 5. It’s not quite as hardy as my regular mint, but it still faithfully tries to dominate one part of my garden.

Chocolate mint leaves. To die for…..

Deb @ Dietitian Debbie Dishes April 10, 2013

Mmm… that orange and goji berry smoothie looks delicious! I’ve been using the Sworkit app lately. It has lots of create your own workouts that need no equipment and they’re kind of fun!

Shundara@ SavyNaturalista April 10, 2013

Mint smoothies what! I am going to try those; I always try to buy goji berries but the price pushes me away did not know you could put them in smoothies… I am so excited that I may just go buy some :)

Cassie April 10, 2013

I looked for the Gain Abs app and couldn’t find it on my Droid :( There were many other apps though, I suppose I could try one of those in addition to my existing core/ab work outs.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2013

I found it by searching “plank exercises” I think – try that and see if it comes up!

Cassie April 10, 2013

Yay, found it! thanks :)

Isabelle April 10, 2013

Hi Angela,
We are really into smoothies lately, one every morning and I really want to try that one. Never tried the Goji berries before.
Love mint with Mango juice, one of my fav. drink in the summer with a lot of ice on a hot day. Isn’t that a nice thought we are (yet again) going to have snow tomorrow!!??
You look as radiant as ever!!
Thanks for all the tips
Isa

Erika @ balancedspoon.com April 10, 2013

Fresh mint in smoothies? Yes please! My goal is to get some herbs growing in my backyard… I need more fresh ingredients in my life :)

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} April 10, 2013

Awesome post! I would love a post on your sprouts sometime… I’ve been wanting to try sprouting some seeds myself, but I think I would forget about them :)

Brittani April 10, 2013

I just got a new workout app called “Sworkit” that sounds similiar to the one you’re using. You can pick a type of workout (core, arms, lower body, cardio, yoga) and then the amount of time you have and voila – you have a hand-picked workout. Easy to start, hard as hell to complete!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2013

that sounds awesome, going to check it out :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2013

just downloaded it….looks good! Thanks for the suggestion :)

Brittani April 16, 2013

Awesome! I hope you like it as much as I do. Enjoy the burn! :)

Bethany :0) April 10, 2013

I’m loving Yoga Studio’s app. They have many different levels, styles, and durations of yoga routines, and what’s even neater is that you can build your own routine based on other routines you’ve learned or your preferences using basic building blocks that they’ve pre-created or the individual poses. Very cool motivator when you don’t have the time (or money) to religiously go to a yoga studio!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2013

This also sounds great, hope they have it for droid!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh April 10, 2013

That lip gloss is so cute! I’m going to do another batch of chocolate mint this year, it was heavenly in push pops last year!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 10, 2013

These are all great! I started sprouting chickpeas a couple of years ago and couldn’t believe how easy it was! Need to do another batch.

Lately I’ve been loving Indian food, sweet and savory combos, and the Full Fitness app to track my lifting workouts.

McKel | Nutrition Stripped April 10, 2013

Ooo I love your spring picks and favorites (which some are turning into mine as we speak!) especially the mint and goji berries in smoothies, thats my favorite. I’ve never heard of the gain abs app, that seems super fun. Some more spring favorites of mine are citrus juice “ice cubes”. Thanks for sharing Angela!

Jill April 10, 2013

That smoothie looks delicious! Too bad I’m allergic to strawberries :(
I’ve been loving getting back into fresh salads now that we’re out of winter. I usually prefer soups and warm salads in the cold, so I’m enjoying the simple pleasure of raw leafy greens!

Sarah @ Yogi in Action April 10, 2013

I also hate ab workouts while doing them- but then afterwards am sooo glad that I did it! Thanks to yoga, my abs get a pretty good workout :)

My favourite right thing right now is Kombucha! It seems to be popping up in more stores and in different flavours. Fantastic :)

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker April 10, 2013

Awesome tip with the natural lip gloss. I got nuts for that kind of stuff :) Annnnnd it’s so funny you mention the sprouting seeds, I was JUST thinking about getting some this morning. Happy spring, Angela <3

Shannon @ Skinny Sometimes April 10, 2013

What a great list, I haven’t tried most of these! I’m looking forward to trying fresh mint in my smoothies.

Lea @ Greens & Coffee Beans April 10, 2013

Mmm… the goji smoothie looks really delicious!

janet @ the taste space April 10, 2013

Love the list, Ange. I have been all over vegan lip balms lately. Not homemade as I figured I’d let someone else experiment with the recipe. I recently shared my favourite finds, including my favourite from etsy. Vegan balms are awesome! :)

Karen Beth Martin April 10, 2013

LOVE the look of that smoothie! I clipixed it for later. :)
Still trying to get up the courage to try mint in my smoothie. I have a big plant of it but… I’m worried about it in smoothie. Will do that soon!
Sprouting is my FAVORITE thing! You can get cheap bags of regular beans at any grocery store and sprout them. It doesn’t have to be fancy for anyone wanting to try it on the cheap.
As for that wonderful app, it isn’t on iPhone so bummer. However, I am totally loving OmVana lately… FULL of wonderful meditations, totally free and has a “mixer” option that is great. Check it out!
xo. :)

Christa @ Edible Balance April 10, 2013

Dang, that’s a fabulous list! That juice looks heavenly, I LOVE goji berries! Zen butter?! YUM… I’ve seen it, but it hasn’t made it to my basket yet ;) I’m trying to get my plank on as well, through Purely Twins… they’ve got some killer workouts and the abs to show for it.

I have a huge love for juices smoothies lately, which is strange because it’s certainly not spring yet here! Just wishing, obviously…

Anna @ Your Healthy Place April 10, 2013

I LOVE mint in smoothies and in juices. I shove a whole bunch in my juicer sometimes and it just freshens up the whole drink.

My roommate is from Toronto and he said he would go into Quebec just to get this amazing maple butter that he couldn’t find anywhere else. I’ll have to send him your recipe!

Heather @ Better With Veggies April 10, 2013

Too funny – I did a 4 things im loving lately post today! ;) It’s a combo of a non-slip headband, crazy neon socks, a fitbit zip, and photo processing app for the phone. I’m going to check out the zen budda spread now – that sounds delicious!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health April 10, 2013

You inspire me to grow things! I was always fond of your posts when you used to live in your house with the beautiful deck and garden. I seriously need to test out my green thumb now that I live in Northern California which is such a great environment for it. Thanks for sharing all of your favorites and I MUST try the maple butter. Oh my…drooling.

Sally April 10, 2013

I’m loving this post. I LOLed at several of these. Thanks for being here. YOU ARE A GODDESS. Any tips on learning to love sprouts? I love to grow them, can’t stand the taste. Every few months, I find my stash of seeds and say ‘Hey, I should sprout!’ Then I do, enjoy watching my seeds come to life, then taste them and say blaaahhhhh. I’ve tried them on salad, in sandwiches, in smoothies… any suggestions? anyone?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2013

Hi Sally, Have you tried seasoning them? A little Herbamare and pepper sounds like just the thing…or maybe your favourite dressing or sauce?

Melissa April 10, 2013

I’ve never tried goji berries, how long would I need to soak them? Thanks!

Court Star @ StarSystemz April 10, 2013

If you have an Indian grocery store near you, you can get sprouting seeds CHEAP, I mean CHEAP! My girlfriend told me and I went and stocked up for 5$ I got almost 3 lbs. of mung beans! They also have spices at a great price too! Maple butter sounds amazing! I have to try it one of these days. My favorite app right now is the POLAR app my husband bought an H6 and downloaded the app to his iphone and it tracks EVERYTHING its amazing! I want one now! Have a great week :) Love + Shine CourtStar

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2013

thanks for the tip!

Marquelle April 10, 2013

What foundation do you use? Your skin looks beautiful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2013

Thank you! I use Bare Minerals powder right now. I’m pretty happy with it except it can feel a bit drying at times. I expect I will enjoy it more in the hummid summer months.

Alicia April 10, 2013

Looking forward to trying the beet lip gloss with Vitamin E ( great idea). I’m also loving using coconut cream as a moisturiser & cleanser! There’s a great review here : http://lifeinblush.com/blog/review-rms-beauty-raw-coconut-cream/

Annie April 10, 2013

Have you heard of fitocracy? The community there is knowledgeable, super friendly, and extremely supportive. Also, there are some awesome vegan groups! I just joined, and I’m definitely loving it!

Also, I really hope you recreate that buttery spread. I’m wanting me some. Bad :-p

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2013

No I haven’t but it sounds cool, thanks for the tip!

Page 1 of 3123»