Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

homemade maple cream maple butter 1451 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

You know when someone asks what you’d want to eat for your last meal? I never know what the heck to say. Umm, everything?! There are really so many foods I adore, such as this maple butter. To be honest, I’d love nothing more than a huge vat of maple butter on my death bed. Ok, and maybe some homemade almond milk to wash it down. I’d kindly ask someone to feed it to me with a big wooden spoon and I wouldn’t even worry about ruining my appetite or splitting my pants. What a glorious way to kick the bucket.

I’ve wanted to make maple butter since I had my first visit to a maple farm as a little girl. They sent us home with maple leaf candy (the start of a lifelong obsession) and I’d watch in awe with my classmates as the adults showed us huge pots of boiling syrup in the chilly Canadian outdoors. The best part was when they’d throw syrup onto the snow and it turned into big chunks of maple candy for us to eat. Us kids, of course, thought that was magic. Even though I was very young, this experience instilled a warm curiosity about food from nature and an interest in making things from scratch.

In case some of you aren’t familiar, maple butter (or maple cream) is pure maple syrup that has been boiled to a certain temperature, left to decrease in temperature, and then whipped/stirred like crazy for a good 30-35 minutes. This technique is hard-freaking-work, but I certainly don’t regret making it. I was thankful though that Eric helped me with the stirring. Every 5 minutes we’d switch so one person could rest and watch the other moan and complain about how long it was taking. Ok, ok, it was more like a 7 minute to 3 minute split, but who’s counting?

homemade maple cream maple butter 1422 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

Twenty-five minutes into the 35-minute marathon stirring session, self-doubt crept in. I was sure that it wasn’t brought to the right temperature or we didn’t use the right grade of maple syrup.

Eric, as always, shows me why I shouldn’t give up so easily. Not just with cooking, but with everything in life.

“Oh it will work, keep the faith.”

Of course he was right.

Right before my eyes, the shiny amber candy turned into a beautiful tan matte butter. It was the most rewarding, magical thing.

homemade maple cream maple butter 1425 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!) homemade maple cream maple butter 1424 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

And then I got to lick the wooden spoon! And then scrape the pot! Suddenly, I forgot all about my tired, weary arms. I could now climb mountains.

homemade maple cream maple butter 1439 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

Then we had it on muffins. Needless to say, it’s “hidden” in the back of the fridge where I will obviously discover it multiple times per day just by coincidence. Did I mention it’s good on oatmeal? And by good on oatmeal I mean good on everything.

maple cream maple butter 1497 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

Anyway, there’s no need for me to re-write the recipe today. I’m not reinventing the wheel, just using a technique that has been explained wonderfully elsewhere. America’s Test Kitchen has a video and step-by-step photos on their site and it helped me a lot. You can find the directions here.

The only thing I would add to their directions is to test your candy thermometre before you start. Just bring a pot of water to a boil and make sure that your thermometre reads about 212 F (the boiling point of water). Once you know it’s working properly, you can proceed with confidence. Oh and it’s also worth mentioning that you shouldn’t have any kids or pets around when making this. The syrup is extremely hot and dangerous so be careful. My last tip is to increase the heat fairly gradually from the start. I, of course, cranked the burner heat to MAX and it nearly boiled over sending me into a panicked frenzy (as if I wasn’t already). I’m sure the next time will go much more smoothly now that I know what to expect.

One more thing. Sketchie says hi. ….and stop bugging me when I sleep.

sketchie 1377 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

Have you ever tried maple butter before or made any type of candy at home?

Nicole January 30, 2013

Question unrelated to maple butter – where do you buy your nutritional yeast in Ontario? Is there a place you can order from. Does Whole Foods have it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

I buy it from Whole Foods and Fortinos usually :)

Melissa January 31, 2013

We used to get those little maple leaf candies when we would drive from Illinois up into Wisconsin for vacation. LOVED them! I found them this Christmas at World Market in Phoenix and bought them for my parents and siblings to bring back those memories- and introduced my own kids to them! yummy! I found Maple Butter at Whole Foods in the baking aisle! I had never had it before. It’s very yummy! I like it on corn bread!
I’m wondering….can you use a Kitchenaid mixer to do the stirring??

Ruth January 31, 2013

Oh yes! I grew up on maple syrup, maple candy, etc. since my mom’s workplace had a maple sugaring “sugarbush” every year (she worked at a nature center). And then one day I had maple cream, and it was like I entered another realm.

I recently found some available locally at a farmer’s market, and I definitely made the impulse buy. The stuff I bought separates like nobody’s business, but I don’t mind stirring it a bit to slather it all over…well, let’s be honest…ANYTHING!

Lisa January 31, 2013

I am generally not a big fan of sweet spreads, but this looks delicious! And how am I a Canadian that has never even heard of maple butter? I need to try this!!!

Jennifer January 31, 2013

Mine didn’t turn out :( I stirred for the entire duration of “Earth Girls Are Easy.” I kept myself going with the thought that you were about to give up, but yours turned out. I’m so sad! It did thicken up and lighten in color, but never got to the peanut butter stage. I used Grade A, and apparently Grade B is supposed to be better. Also, mine boiled over and really freaked me out (should have paid attention when you said not to crank up the heat, and also when she said not to turn your back on it.) Anyways, think I’ll give it another shot soon. Tastes amazing, though.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2013

Aw bummer, sorry it didn’t turn out for you! Yes I’ve heard that different grades can produce different results. Did you use a candy thermometer too?

Jennifer February 1, 2013

I did. It had only reached 225 when it started boiling over, but it was such a mess that I didn’t bother letting it get to 235, just transferred it to the bowl early. But I love your pics and descriptions so much. You’ve really made me want to get this right. Thanks for the inspiration.

Maria January 31, 2013

Just made this, and it is wonderful! Didn’t really bother to use a thermometer, just placed the pan on the stove, went to watch a little telly, got back into the kitchen and saw that it was boiling. Took the pan of the heat and allowed it the cool a little, before bringing it in the living room. Much easier to stir for 35 minutes (although i don’t think I stirred more than 15) when you are watching Masterchef! :)

Think I accidentally “over”stirred mine, so its not buttery soft, but can be rolled into beautifyl little mapletoffee balls, sooo good-.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2013

Oh wow thats great it worked for you!!! Yes I over stirred mine too….a little heats softens it right up. Its soooo good straight from the fridge though!

suzanne January 31, 2013

This looks so good – my boyz LOVE maple cream but it is so pricey I do not buy it often (we live in maple country so some local people make it). It is like gold around here and they fight over who put more on their muffin, bagel or whatever (great on soft pumpkin pretzels!). We are excited to try this recipe – thank you!!!

Vanessa January 31, 2013

Yum!!!!

Kelly January 31, 2013

Ok, that looks so delicious I have an urge to lick the screen! I am definitely trying this recipe. Thx so much for the gorgeous pictures.

Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy January 31, 2013

I had no idea you could do this to maple syrup. I am going to try it this weekend. The added arm workout is obviously a big bonus.

Shana February 1, 2013

I asked my husband to help me make this and he made disgusted faces at me when I told him how long we had to stir……..then I showed him the picture :) It’s on the agenda for this weekend!

Shannon February 1, 2013

My first taste of maple butter was at this little place just outside of Quebec City called Chez Marie. They bake bread daily outside in a brick oven, and for $1.50 you can get a warm slice of freshly baked bread slathered in the house-made maple butter. This is the best place on Earth.

Rachel Cope February 3, 2013

Hi! I love this pure maple butter recipe but couldn’t find the button to print it! Can you help me out? Did I miss it in the post? Cheers!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2013

Hey Rachel, Oh I didn’t type up the recipe because I linked to the original recipe + how to video on ATK. Its near the bottom…hope this helps!

Kathy February 4, 2013

We made the maple cream last night after watching the America’s Test Kitchen video and the tips on this page. We live in the mountains, so had to make a correction for elevation (2 degrees F for each 1,000 ft above sea level). The tip to calibrate the candy thermometer was great since ours was off by about 7 degrees from the corrected water boiling point. With all the corrections, we only needed to get to 217 degrees F on our thermometer (no wonder my caramels never came out right!). Anyway, it was a total success and we got the lovely matte tahini color in about 25 minutes of stirring. We might have over-stirred a little since we had trouble pouring it out of the pan into the storage container. It is lovely stuff! It does get hard in the refrigerator, so I’m wondering if it has to be refrigerated with all that sugar? We have found so many great recipes as well as entertaining commentary on this site – thanks so much for sharing your cooking adventures.

Andrea February 5, 2013

Hmmmm… Could one use a food processor to do the whipping after it gets up to temperature? It might have to cool slightly first. What do you think?

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen February 5, 2013

Oh my gosh, I had no idea that such a thing existed! This looks heavenly, but will you come over to my house and make it please? I don’t have the patience for such things. Also, your story about growing up and eating maple candies and creating the candy in the snow sounds so magical! I want to come to that now! That’s such an awesome memory!

Ann February 7, 2013

Looks wonderful. You’ll forgive me if I skip the steps and just wait for the sap to start running in New Brunswick? Will be adding to my oatmeal repitoire.

Melissa February 7, 2013

Thanks for this post, Angela. I made the cream last night and it was wonderful on whole grain pancakes this morning. I tested out my thermometer beforehand as you suggested and tried to compensate for for it’s inaccuracy….I don’t think I got the temperature right because it didn’t become thick and lose it’s gloss even after 45 minutes of stirring, but it is the thickest, most delicious spread on earth nonetheless! I could melt it down and try again, but it won’t last long enough :)

Kathy February 11, 2013

We finished off the first batch in a week – my waistline is afraid to make more : ) ! My post above neglected to define that you should SUBTRACT 2 degrees F from the recommended boiling temperature of 235 degrees F for each 1,000 feet you are above sea level. We added the 1/4 teaspoon of oil (to decrease foam) and a pinch of salt too (which did nicely balance the sweet). This really is the best spread on earth!

Lindsay February 11, 2013

I ration out the little bit I buy every year… Because I didn’t know you could make it yourself!!!!

This is AMAZING — THANK YOU!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2013

Enjoy :) I’ve already managed to eat half of my batch! Its dangerous….but seriously makes life worth living!! hah

Esther February 17, 2013

I had never heard of maple cream until your post, and you were right! It’s worth the stiff shoulders. I made your pumpkin spiced donuts and slathered the maple cream all over it in an inch thick layer, and it was devine. Thanks so much for the recipe and link! :)

Lindsey March 14, 2013

I have seen it in the store, but never tried it. Now that I have read about how it’s made, though, I will have to try it! Thank you!

Emily April 10, 2013

This sounds amazing and I could use a good arm workout :)

Kal April 11, 2013

I am from Vermont; land of maple syrup and our daughter is graduating from college there in May. We are military currently stationed in Washington D.C. I am making a list of things that we need to buy when in VT for graduation and lo and behold maple cream is high on the list of products that we must bring back along with Cabot bacon cheddar cheese that we can’t find here and many other wonderful maple products. My daughter eats it out of the jar with a spoon and puts her name on said jar (as if anyone having seen her eat from it WOULD).

I have relatives with sugar shacks still and I am going to use some of the syrup we bring back in May to try our “hand” at it! Thanks Angela!

Kati April 11, 2013

I am crazy for this idea. Honestly, pure maple is the #1 flavor of anything ever. My question is, does the volume increase? I’m hoping the answer is yes so I can have EVEN MORE MAPLE! Haha thanks for sharing; can’t wait to try this!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2013

No unfortunately not…it decreases a alot! Probably by at least half

Krystal April 16, 2013

This looks incredible! I love all things maple but have never even heard of maple butter before. Looking at those pics just makes my mouth water and I can’t wait to make it and put it on everything! Absolutely lovely share! Thank you :)

Stephanie Van Ekelenburg July 31, 2013

Can sugar free maple syrup be used and would it be grade a or b? I am so excited to make this! Thanks for sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2013

Hmm…I didn’t even know they made sugar-free maple syrup! I can’t comment on the flavour, but if you try it out let us know how it went.

SHEILA CAGGIANO August 28, 2013

Please advise if you have ever used this “cream” as a frosting and what did you add to it. I am following a low glycemic diet and the maple syrup I can have but confectioners sugar I can not have. I am wondering if I added a little cream cheese to this if it would serve as a frosting. What do you think? Or, can you give me some other suggestions. Thank you so much.

Kate September 19, 2013

I just had this! We put some goat cheese on crackers with a drizzle of the maple butter. TOTALLY DELISH! I loved the sweetness

Megan October 13, 2013

I tried this and within the first 10 minutes of stirring it turned to rock! :( I don’t know what happened but it was such a bummer. I heated it to 235 degrees and then cooled it but it wasn’t quite at 100 degrees when I started stirring only because the video said it should take about 15 minutes but I waited over 20 and it hadn’t reached 100 degrees yet so I didn’t want to wait too long before stirring but I’m wondering if that’s what I did wrong.. I don’t know what else it could be. But I’m so bummed I don’t even know if I want to try it again. :( Would it have been better to wait even longer (probably would have taken about 30 minutes) to make sure it got to 100 degrees before stirring?

Micah Millett November 7, 2013

Don’t worry yourself with temperatures just bring it to a boil, Then bring down the heat for 5 mins, then take it off. Once you have removed from the heat start your stirring.

Candice November 3, 2013

I am excited to try this. I sometimes treat myself to a jar of maple butter… I just ate a spoonful a few minutes ago. haha
I sat down at the computer and wondered if there are any recipes that use this or a recipe of how to make it. I can’t wait to give this a go… I think I would also like to eat maple butter on my deathbed. And homemade maple butter? Must be incredible!

Micah Millett November 7, 2013

Thanks for the recipe , I did this by myself. After boiling for about 6 mins I took off the heat and started stirring in almost like a small whipping motion , Anyways It turned into maple butter after only 11 mins of stirring so I hope everyone doesn’t get discouraged because of the time because it can be done In about 1/3 of the time you used. Its all about creating as many bubbles as you can with movement , Also taste varies in maple butter with the different grades of syrup. Thanks – Micah

Laurie December 13, 2013

Nothing like seeing this recipe on the morning of a day off from work (the year end burning of vacation time that I will otherwise lose). This was just added to my day’s agenda…drop kiddo of at school….work out…make maple cream…make oatmeal for breakfast using maple cream. I can’t wait!!!

Kristen Williams January 30, 2014

Hi there!

I just stumbled on this post in a Google search for recipes with Maple Cream. I have a jar that I received for Christmas and I have no idea what to do with it. For me, it’s too sweet to eat on toast or anything other breakfast item. Do you happen to have or know of any recipes that call for Maple Cream IN them? I would love some suggestions! This is a great blog BTW.

Thanks so much!
Kristen

Natalie killam March 31, 2014

I attempted to make this..it turned into maple sugar

Millie April 3, 2014

I have tried this recipe a couple of times now. It always turns to sugar on me. I even got a digital thermometer so I could be more exact. What am I doing wrong?

Beth June 30, 2014

Just wondering if anyone has tried any part of this recipe in a Vitamix?

DMO July 26, 2014

How long does it last when refrigerated?

Page 3 of 3«123