Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

homemade maple cream maple butter 1451 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

You know when someone asks what you’d want to eat for your last meal? I never know what the heck to say. Umm, everything?! There are really so many foods I adore, such as this maple butter. To be honest, I’d love nothing more than a huge vat of maple butter on my death bed. Ok, and maybe some homemade almond milk to wash it down. I’d kindly ask someone to feed it to me with a big wooden spoon and I wouldn’t even worry about ruining my appetite or splitting my pants. What a glorious way to kick the bucket.

I’ve wanted to make maple butter since I had my first visit to a maple farm as a little girl. They sent us home with maple leaf candy (the start of a lifelong obsession) and I’d watch in awe with my classmates as the adults showed us huge pots of boiling syrup in the chilly Canadian outdoors. The best part was when they’d throw syrup onto the snow and it turned into big chunks of maple candy for us to eat. Us kids, of course, thought that was magic. Even though I was very young, this experience instilled a warm curiosity about food from nature and an interest in making things from scratch.

In case some of you aren’t familiar, maple butter (or maple cream) is pure maple syrup that has been boiled to a certain temperature, left to decrease in temperature, and then whipped/stirred like crazy for a good 30-35 minutes. This technique is hard-freaking-work, but I certainly don’t regret making it. I was thankful though that Eric helped me with the stirring. Every 5 minutes we’d switch so one person could rest and watch the other moan and complain about how long it was taking. Ok, ok, it was more like a 7 minute to 3 minute split, but who’s counting?

homemade maple cream maple butter 1422 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

Twenty-five minutes into the 35-minute marathon stirring session, self-doubt crept in. I was sure that it wasn’t brought to the right temperature or we didn’t use the right grade of maple syrup.

Eric, as always, shows me why I shouldn’t give up so easily. Not just with cooking, but with everything in life.

“Oh it will work, keep the faith.”

Of course he was right.

Right before my eyes, the shiny amber candy turned into a beautiful tan matte butter. It was the most rewarding, magical thing.

homemade maple cream maple butter 1425 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!) homemade maple cream maple butter 1424 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

And then I got to lick the wooden spoon! And then scrape the pot! Suddenly, I forgot all about my tired, weary arms. I could now climb mountains.

homemade maple cream maple butter 1439 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

Then we had it on muffins. Needless to say, it’s “hidden” in the back of the fridge where I will obviously discover it multiple times per day just by coincidence. Did I mention it’s good on oatmeal? And by good on oatmeal I mean good on everything.

maple cream maple butter 1497 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

Anyway, there’s no need for me to re-write the recipe today. I’m not reinventing the wheel, just using a technique that has been explained wonderfully elsewhere. America’s Test Kitchen has a video and step-by-step photos on their site and it helped me a lot. You can find the directions here.

The only thing I would add to their directions is to test your candy thermometre before you start. Just bring a pot of water to a boil and make sure that your thermometre reads about 212 F (the boiling point of water). Once you know it’s working properly, you can proceed with confidence. Oh and it’s also worth mentioning that you shouldn’t have any kids or pets around when making this. The syrup is extremely hot and dangerous so be careful. My last tip is to increase the heat fairly gradually from the start. I, of course, cranked the burner heat to MAX and it nearly boiled over sending me into a panicked frenzy (as if I wasn’t already). I’m sure the next time will go much more smoothly now that I know what to expect.

One more thing. Sketchie says hi. ….and stop bugging me when I sleep.

sketchie 1377 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

Have you ever tried maple butter before or made any type of candy at home?

Jody January 29, 2013

If maple cream is too much work, you might enjoy this one! (And I’m from upstate NY where we tapped our own trees… real maple cream will blow your mind and give new meaning to your life, but this one is super easy and super decadent!) FYI: I sub fresh coconut meat for unsweetened shredded coconut. I can’t remember where I initially found this recipe, but I know Sarma MeIngailis was responsible.

Maple Cream
- 1/4 cup cashews (preferably soaked in water 2+ hours)
- 1/4 cup coconut meat (from Young Thai coconut!)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt

Jody January 29, 2013

Run it all through a food processor btw… if that needed to be said. :)

Jenn January 29, 2013

I have so many great memories of going to the maple syrup bush with my family in Peterborough when I was growing up. The maple butter was always my favourite. We still keep the tradition going every Spring. Thanks for sharing this technique. My sister in-law has her own bush so we always get freebies :)

Kim @ Cooking in the City January 29, 2013

I’ve always been to scared to try anything requiring a candy thermometer! Does it taste just like maple syrup, with a fluffier texture? In 4th grade (in Rochester, NY) I remember a unit studying Native Americans and we learned how to make maple syrup from sap- so fun! I love that they used maple syrup to flavor dishes instead of salt.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

It has a consistency like nut butter…although mine turned out firm because I stirred it too long. No biggie though, it will melt a bit when heated! It was my first time ever using a candy thermometre and it wasn’t as bad as I thought!

Isa from Québec January 29, 2013

Wow! Ça c’est un vrai produit québécois!!!
;)

Rose! January 29, 2013

Oh my goodness, YUM! Making this asap!

jodye @ chocolate & chou fleur January 29, 2013

Thank you for reminding me that I’ve been meaning to try making maple butter for ages! I always see it in the grocery store, but I don’t want to pay $15 for a minuscule jar of the stuff. Your pictures have me drooling!

Christine @ Shot Bun January 29, 2013

One of my favourite memories as a kid was when we would go on field trips to the ‘sugar bush’ and stuff our faces with maple candy and maple syrup on pancakes! We would also pour the maple on the snow and it would turn into taffy. If you live in eastern Ontario I highly suggest checking out Sand Road Maple Farm. Sweet memories for sure!

Laura January 29, 2013

Oh my golly. This is a brilliant idea. I’m from Nova Scoia, living in London UK, and this would be the perfect way to have a little piece of home. I too remember going to the maple farms when I was little, and the syrup n the snow was the best deal ever!!! Thanks for all of this:)

A farmer in the dell January 29, 2013

This looks so stinking good!!! I miss the amazing maple syrup products from Vermont. We just movedvtonoregon and I feel maple deprived! This recipe is very inspiring!

Bre January 29, 2013

Aww it makes me so happy how many Ontarians/Canadians have fond childhood memories of maple syrup…I’m from Ontario as well and this article made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside haha…and craving real maple syrup in any form!! Mmmmm great job Angela :) I’m at work now though so i have to make due with my sunbutter and apple for now :(

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health January 29, 2013

I have never made or heard of this before but it sounds delicious! I love that picture of Sketchie, so cute. I feel like I can hear him purring.

jaime rubeniuk January 29, 2013

That looks amazing!! We lived in Barrie and Toronto for a little bit when I was little, and I remember visiting a maple tree farm… I too have always had a special place in my heart for those little maple leaf candies! So good :) Can’t wait to try this! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 29, 2013

Swoooon! I have indeed tried maple butter – the jar you bought me from Whole Foods!! And I agree, it’s pretty special stuff! Does Canada have a national dish other than poutine? Maybe this should be it!

Laura @fivefocus January 29, 2013

I am so excited to try this out this weekend…no need to book my abs and arms class now!

Lia @ Sojourning January 29, 2013

I’ve had it before, but I’ve never known how to make it! It is like a buttery melty yummy heavenly amazing thing. Now I know it can be made at home. With assistance. Could it be put into a kitchen aid mixer with the whip attachment?

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 29, 2013

Your maple butter looks magnificent!!
Such lovely pics!:)
I might try the maple cream recipe listed upthread in the comments too
As far as recipes go, I pretty much wanna try vegan maple anything haha

“Have you ever tried maple butter before or made any type of candy at home?”

^ I want to make a couple of things…I keep seeing recipes online for candied lemon peel, which looks great [I like lemon flavored anything] so I want to try that
I also want to make chocolate dipped fruit, like dried apricots dipped in heated melted vegan chocolate chips and then cooled down
The second one is easy, just haven’t gotten around to it yet. The lemon peel candy seems a bit more challenging, but gonna give it a try one of these days :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 29, 2013

This sounds delicious. I think that it would be absolutely fabulous slathered on warm toast! Yum :).

angela January 29, 2013

Do you think it could be stirred in a stand mixer?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2013

Not sure – i’ve read it can burn out the motor

Andrea January 29, 2013

“And by good on oatmeal I mean good on everything.” That says it all :) Looks absolutely delicious.

Pat January 29, 2013

Any chance I could let my Kitchen Aid do the stirring for me since I don’t have a fantastic kitchen helper? Or would that cause it to cool too rapidly, if that would even be a problem?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2013

Im not sure – I’ve read it can burn out the motor.

Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) January 29, 2013

I love anything maple – syrup, butter, walnut ice cream, etc. And I have to say, this looks incredibly, disgustingly (in the best way) phenomenal. I think it’d last in my kitchen for a day at best! Therefore I should make TONS.

SO looking forward to trying this!

Andrea January 30, 2013

I think I just figured out what I’m going to do on my day off (Thursday!). Who needs to clean the house when I can make a wonderful, glorious, delicious mess in the kitchen?! I do have to admit I’m going to put it in the kitchenaid, though. My kitchenaid is still less than a month old so I pretty much take any and all opportunities I can to use it.

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 30, 2013

Forgot to add, that photo of your cat is gorgeous!!
I love animal pics :)

Bek @ Crave January 30, 2013

Um, this looks like so incredible mmmm. I’m sorta glad I’d never heard of maple cream and we don’t have it in Aus- things could get ugly. But now I know how to make it and I just bought a new bottle of pure maply syrup..is this a sign?

Lynne January 30, 2013

That looks over the moon delish !!! I can’t wait to give it a try (right after I kick myself for buying it all these years). We buy our maple syrup locally and it is sooooo divine ! I love the maple butter, maple candy and even apple butter. I see that someone else left a comment about apple butter. That would be a great recipe to attempt too ! (now that I am inspired by the maple butter idea !!) thanks for sharing ! Lynne

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 30, 2013

What a great workout with a most delicious award at the end!! I have to try this! I love maple syrup and I can only imagine how wonderful maple cream tastes!!!

Michelle January 30, 2013

oh yes!!!! We’ve had this in OH, but no way to get it here so far south. And the family business I bought it from doesn’t ship–even to me the daughter of their high school best bud. So we’ve been missing it. It’s on my list for next week. Thank you so much for investigating, trying and mostly for sharing !!!!

Lizzie January 30, 2013

Need. right. now! I also remember going to maple farms as a child. My grandfather also tapped maples in his woodlot. Yumm.

Kimberly Andresen-Reed January 30, 2013

Yeah, I’m going to half to try this at some point. I’ve also wanted to make maple candy for a while since the stuff that’s already made is so expensive. But I find that I am strangely protective of my maple syrup, using it only for special things and sparingly (like granola), since it’s far and away the most costly item in my pantry.

I, too, get the fear that in these situations, it won’t set up and then I’ll have wasted like 15 bucks of maple syrup.

Kelly Zdrowak January 30, 2013

Hey I absolutely love your blog :)

I’m also really interested in healthy eating and living. I found a site: healthyrevelations.wordpress.com. It has a lot of amazing healthy recipes if you’d like to check it out

Maria Tadic January 30, 2013

I’m absolutely in love with maple syrup, maple candy or anything else maple flavored. Hands down…making this recipe this weekend!

Emily @ MainEats January 30, 2013

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I NEED TO EAT THIS! On absolutely everything! Wow-never heard of this-thanks for bringing it to my attention! Beautiful!

Mystery Runner January 30, 2013

YUM! I am running out to the store to make some!

I also wanted to thank you on your post about carrageenan. I had no idea! I had obviously read the label and noticed it but never thought too much about it since I thought that it was simply a thickener. Since replacing all products that contained it, I have noticed a dramatic difference in my stomach upset, who knew??? So, thank you for mentioning it and bringing it to my attention.

Steph January 30, 2013

This. Looks. Amazing! What would you suggest putting it on?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2013

oatmeal, pancakes, muffins…a spoon! :)

kimmythevegan January 30, 2013

Mmmmm yummy. That looks dee-licious!
I am a maple syrup freak, I can understand your feelings =)

Alex @ Delicious-Knowledge.com January 30, 2013

I’ve never had this before but I just know I will love it. Maple- check. Buttery goodness- double check! I don’t know if I have the patience for stirring something this long, but I will find out! Or bribe my husband!

maureen January 30, 2013

Could you use an electric mixer instead of doing it by hand? Would that work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2013

I’ve heard it can burn out the motor, so im not sure!

maureen January 31, 2013

It seems like my upright Kitchen Aid mixer could withstand the 30 mins. It’s a workhorse. Anyone have one of those?

Lindsay January 30, 2013

This makes me hungry, even though I just ate a huge meal. Somehow, there’s always room for maple cream. LOVE those little maple leaf candies!

{Moni} @ Moni Meals January 30, 2013

Oh WOW! I have to try this Ang. Never have before! Thanks!! xx

sheila January 30, 2013

this looks divine. my mouth is watering just looking at the pictures!

Page 2 of 3«123»