Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 29, 2013

homemade maple cream (maple butter)-1451

You know when someone asks what you’d want to eat for your last meal? I never know what the heck to say. Umm, everything?! There are really so many foods I adore, such as this maple butter. To be honest, I’d love nothing more than a huge vat of maple butter on my death bed. Ok, and maybe some homemade almond milk to wash it down. I’d kindly ask someone to feed it to me with a big wooden spoon and I wouldn’t even worry about ruining my appetite or splitting my pants. What a glorious way to kick the bucket.

I’ve wanted to make maple butter since I had my first visit to a maple farm as a little girl. They sent us home with maple leaf candy (the start of a lifelong obsession) and I’d watch in awe with my classmates as the adults showed us huge pots of boiling syrup in the chilly Canadian outdoors. The best part was when they’d throw syrup onto the snow and it turned into big chunks of maple candy for us to eat. Us kids, of course, thought that was magic. Even though I was very young, this experience instilled a warm curiosity about food from nature and an interest in making things from scratch.

In case some of you aren’t familiar, maple butter (or maple cream) is pure maple syrup that has been boiled to a certain temperature, left to decrease in temperature, and then whipped/stirred like crazy for a good 30-35 minutes. This technique is hard-freaking-work, but I certainly don’t regret making it. I was thankful though that Eric helped me with the stirring. Every 5 minutes we’d switch so one person could rest and watch the other moan and complain about how long it was taking. Ok, ok, it was more like a 7 minute to 3 minute split, but who’s counting?

homemade maple cream (maple butter)-1422

Twenty-five minutes into the 35-minute marathon stirring session, self-doubt crept in. I was sure that it wasn’t brought to the right temperature or we didn’t use the right grade of maple syrup.

Eric, as always, shows me why I shouldn’t give up so easily. Not just with cooking, but with everything in life.

“Oh it will work, keep the faith.”

Of course he was right.

Right before my eyes, the shiny amber candy turned into a beautiful tan matte butter. It was the most rewarding, magical thing.

homemade maple cream (maple butter)-1425 homemade maple cream (maple butter)-1424

And then I got to lick the wooden spoon! And then scrape the pot! Suddenly, I forgot all about my tired, weary arms. I could now climb mountains.

homemade maple cream (maple butter)-1439

Then we had it on muffins. Needless to say, it’s “hidden” in the back of the fridge where I will obviously discover it multiple times per day just by coincidence. Did I mention it’s good on oatmeal? And by good on oatmeal I mean good on everything.

maple cream maple butter-1497

Anyway, there’s no need for me to re-write the recipe today. I’m not reinventing the wheel, just using a technique that has been explained wonderfully elsewhere. America’s Test Kitchen has a video and step-by-step photos on their site and it helped me a lot. You can find the directions here.

The only thing I would add to their directions is to test your candy thermometre before you start. Just bring a pot of water to a boil and make sure that your thermometre reads about 212 F (the boiling point of water). Once you know it’s working properly, you can proceed with confidence. Oh and it’s also worth mentioning that you shouldn’t have any kids or pets around when making this. The syrup is extremely hot and dangerous so be careful. My last tip is to increase the heat fairly gradually from the start. I, of course, cranked the burner heat to MAX and it nearly boiled over sending me into a panicked frenzy (as if I wasn’t already). I’m sure the next time will go much more smoothly now that I know what to expect.

One more thing. Sketchie says hi. ….and stop bugging me when I sleep.

sketchie-1377

Have you ever tried maple butter before or made any type of candy at home?

Miche January 29, 2013 at 10:01 am

Thanks for sharing — I have never heard of this before, but it sounds amazing. It’s going on my list of things I must make eventually (quite the long list now…). I just made your lasagna will basil cashew cheeze last night, and it was wonderful!

My corgi pups say hello to Sketchie! :)

Miche January 29, 2013 at 10:02 am

Oops, I need to learn to check my spelling before getting so excited about replying.. *with not will!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 10:40 am

I hear you on the long list! hah. Glad you enjoyed the lasagna :)

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} January 29, 2013 at 10:04 am

This looks to die for! I love following America’s Test Kitchen recipes… although with this one I would probably still be unsure! I’ll be trying this as soon as I can convince my boyfriend to do half the work :)

Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day January 29, 2013 at 10:04 am

Oh good lord this looks amazing! I’m the same way, I can never answer that “last meal” question, how could you ever choose!?? There’s this famous pancake parlor in the town I’m from in New Hampshire and the table is full of maple syrup, maple butter, maple sugar, everything! I always slather up some coconut pancakes with the maple butter…pure heaven :) Never thought to make it myself, great post!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 10:41 am

oh wow, that sounds lovely. Now I have to make pancakes this week :)

Katie January 29, 2013 at 1:52 pm

This may be a stupid question, but can this maple butter be used in the place of butter or Earth Balance in recipes? Or is it mostly used for spreading?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 3:29 pm

gosh im really not sure…it’s super sweet so you’d also have to reduce the sweetener. I do want to try it in a baked good so I will report back if I do.

Mary Kate January 29, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Polly’s Pancake Parlor? Yeah, that’s where I’ve had it, too. And it’s AMAZING (so is the maple pepper they sell — http://maplepepper.com/).

It’s 9 pm, and I’m not hungry, but I could decimate a plate of pancakes now.

Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day January 31, 2013 at 8:51 am

YES, Mary Kate! That’s the place! I’ve never had the maple pepper but that sounds amazing! I always feel like I want to die when I leave but its worth it :)

Aislinn September 11, 2013 at 9:34 am

Parker’s Maple Barn?

John W September 4, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Parker’s Maple Barn is in Mason N.H. superb breakfast place and they make their own maple syrup and products on site.. if you have never been it’s a must go to place at least once before you die!!

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay January 29, 2013 at 10:05 am

THAT. looks. ABSOLUTELY. DELICIOUS!

I am making this asap. It’s now #1 on my to-make list. Beautiful pictures too btw :)

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh January 29, 2013 at 10:06 am

This looks like something that could get me in a lot of trouble. Delicious, finger lickin’ trouble. But all of the stirring counteracts the calorie consumption though, right? RIGHT!?!? :D Actually, it makes me want to make this and strap on my heart rate monitor. Aww man, see what you did!

Cook Snap Savour January 29, 2013 at 10:10 am

Oh that looks fantastic!!!! I should find something on TV to watch while I stir :)

Jess January 29, 2013 at 10:11 am

I want to jump into that jar of maple cream!! I LOVE maple sugar candy. And maple syrup. I will definitely try this one! Yum!!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 29, 2013 at 10:12 am

Wow. That is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. Now that I know this exists I don’t know that I can live without it!

Daisy January 29, 2013 at 10:18 am

Oh dear, I’m in trouble now. I got some little jars of pure maple butter for Christmas. I haven’t been spreading it on anything, just taking little scoops here and there. It’s so darn good. I hadn’t thought to see if I could actually make some and now that I know that I can, my maple syrup stock is in trouble, too. ;)

Jess January 29, 2013 at 10:22 am

Looks amazing! Do you think it’d be possible to mix with a stand mixer, instead of by hand?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 10:50 am

Hi Jess, I’ve heard it can burn out the motor? But im really not sure if a stand mixer would work or not! I’d be a bit scared to try. Maybe if someone has tried it they can let us know. :)

Shannon January 29, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I’ve done it in my stand mixer, no problem! Delicious on sweet potato cinnamon rolls :)

Jess February 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Thanks, Shannon and Angela. Looking forward to trying it.

Owen February 20, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I just made this with a hand-held electric mixer. The entire process took about 20 minutes. Not only was I able to complete this project without straining my shapely biceps, but I was able to utilize my left hand to text back sarcastic responses to craigslist scammers attempting to buy my bicycle from Nigeria via paypal.
I am a genius.

Owen February 22, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Update: My impetuous proclamations of victory were a bit premature. The maple crème was slightly thinner than a peanut-butter-like consistency for two days. It has now started to return to thinner maple syrup. Unless this is normal, then the electric mixer technique is flawed.
The lesson I take away from this is: eat it all within two days.

Crystal T September 17, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I was going to ask the same thing about a stand mixer!

Willow January 29, 2013 at 10:43 am

I adore maple butter! I’ve never made it myself, though… I’ll have to check out that America’s Test Kitchen Video. You’ve inspired me!

Ashley January 29, 2013 at 10:44 am

I tried maple butter for the first time last year at Seattle’s Public Market, in this tiny crumpet shop. I’d never had a crumpet before either, so I stopped in and asked what the favorite was. It was a crumpet with maple butter, a bit of cream cheese, and walnuts. It was the best thing I think I’ve ever tasted! I’ve been wanting to recreate it ever since, so now might just be the time!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan January 29, 2013 at 10:46 am

Ohhh my oh my, look at that creamy deliciousness!

Sarah @ Yogi in Action January 29, 2013 at 10:51 am

Wow- that looks absolutely delicious. The 35 minutes of stirring makes it less likely that I will make it. Though the delicious pictures of it does make me want to…. decisions, decisions!

[email protected] SavyNaturalista January 29, 2013 at 10:54 am

I will just take the whole jar thank you.. It reminds me of praline candy I tried to make and burned the the pot and spoon.. Did you use a candy thermometer to make this cream?

Marie Westmeyer January 29, 2013 at 10:58 am

Looks good but I don’t see directions. What temperature do you bring it up to? For how long? And what temp must it cool to before you start whipping it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Hi Marie, please see the bottom of the post where I linked to the directions.

Lauren January 29, 2013 at 11:08 am

What a neat recipe! It’s amazing how the composition of food changes with heat. I’ve taken apple juice and put it to heat to make an apple ‘honey’, which I use in a lot of recipes.

The maple butter looks delicious, but that muffin you spread it on looks even better! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Omg I want to try that out! Is it on your blog?

donnacrews June 16, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I make the Apple reduction sauce all the time. you don’t need a recipe–just pour apple juice into a pot and stir it over medium to low heat until it’s thick and syrupy. that’s all there is to it. you can store it in the freezer and use it whenever you like later.

tayspoon January 29, 2013 at 11:14 am

Ohhh-Emmm-Geeee!! this brings me back to my childhood, when i would spend my summers with my grandma in Montreal. She always had a can of Map-O-Spread. I would put it on my toast every morning. that or nutella lol thanks for sharing!! i puffy heart you!!

Alex @ Raw Recovery January 29, 2013 at 11:15 am

That looks really good! I got my sister some rum butter from London and it looks very much the same. I haven’t tried it though!

Anne January 29, 2013 at 11:20 am

It looks amazing. I am super scared to try it.. but I will just have to. Since I found your blog I am eating the baked oatmeal in a jar every morning in school for breakfast ( i am a HS study hall teacher) and the students think it looks amazing and are always asking me to bring more. Completely different reactions to my green monsters I drink in class every once in a while too :) Love all your soups and OMG specially the revised meat loaf.. yumm!! a LUNCH favorite! I got a question for you.. my hubby and me are right now rethinking our life plans and he is applying for a couple of different railroad jobs and locations.. well anyways.. some of them in Canada. Where is a great place to live there? Do you have any favorites? And don’t feel like you have to answer.. I know you are a busy bee! but thanks if you do!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Oh gosh that is so hard to answer because it depends on so many factors…cost of living, what type of city you like (large/urban vs outskirts/country) etc etc. if you are an urban girl try Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver (however they are expensive as most big cities can be). I’ve lived in NB and ON so I certainly can’t comment on all of Canada -there are so many great places to live in this country! My favourite place I’ve lived so far would be where I am now in Oakville – close to Toronto but still has a small city feel to it. If you want a real laid back vibe, down to earth people, and good housing prices, look into the east coast.

Anne January 31, 2013 at 10:36 am

thank you so much!!! yeah i definitely would prefer a small town feeling and some down to earth people.. but close to a big city as well! we will see what life brings! :)

Melana August 1, 2014 at 12:14 pm

My hubby and I moved to Coquitlam, BC seven years ago & have had the best experience! It’s within 30 minutes to Vancouver, but still small-townish enough to be reasonably priced. Plus, you are literally 15-20 minutes away from countless lakes, rainforests & the ocean. It’s been a fabulous choice for us. Maybe consider it?

Thea January 29, 2013 at 11:20 am

Would you refrigerate or leave jar at room temp?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I keep it in the fridge, but not sure if it can be left at room temp too. It hardens when chilled but will soften when heated.

Karen November 5, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Definitely in the fridge. Real maple syrup use Ben refrigerated when open :-). Just leave it out for 5 mins before you want to use and it is more spreadable.

Tanya @ playful and hungry January 29, 2013 at 11:22 am

Let’s go with “The best spread on planet earth”.
This looks so good! =)

Lisa January 29, 2013 at 11:23 am

This looks incredible- as do the muffins and both are making me hungry!

Stacy January 29, 2013 at 11:23 am

We can make this at home??!! I had no idea! I always buy it from the maple syrup place I visit. Mmmmm maple cream, soooo good.

Chloe January 29, 2013 at 11:40 am

Looks delicious but I think I’ll continue to buy it at the market. :)

What I should really be trying my hand at (and taking turns stirring brought back to mind) is a vegan version of sucre à la crème. The French Canadian fudge you’ve also probably eaten before.

The original recipe is real cream, sugar and brown sugar, brought to 236 gently, slowly cooled to 110 then stirred like crazy until it turns but not too much or it’ll separate. It’s the creamiest thing ever. A vegan version would entail some serious kitchen chemistry (or magic).

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I’ve wanted to make that forever now…I’ll have to give it a shot. I’m thinking coconut milk cream to sub for the dairy cream.

Mélanie January 30, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Ok now i’m going to have to try my aunt’s sucre à crème recipe with coconut milk! Being French Canadian I think maple runs in my veins from my upbringing! Nothing beats going to the ‘Cabana à sucre’ and stuffing your face with foods slathered in maple products :D

I’ve got such a notorious sweet tooth that my aunt sends along maple butter each year with my maple syrup order. It keeps wonderfully in the freezer so buy/make batches and then your set for the year!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition January 29, 2013 at 11:43 am

I had some of this for the first time when I was in Mount Tremblant with my family! So delicious! So sweet though (which is a good thing!) because I don’t devour it all

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 29, 2013 at 11:46 am

Wow that looks absolutely decadent! I am sure its incredible on crunchy toast or warm oatmeal!

Katherine January 29, 2013 at 11:50 am

Ohh, my first thought was to dip pretzels into this for an insane salty/sweet combo. YUM

Sarah January 29, 2013 at 11:50 am

Was that Mountsberg, by chance, that you visited as a kid? I’m from Milton and we had field trips there every year. It was the best! Man. I love Canada.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Gosh I don’t remember, I’ll have to find out! I want to go back :)

Danielle @ Two Love Birds January 29, 2013 at 11:51 am

I’ve never heard of Maple Butter but this looks and sounds amazing!

Mary January 29, 2013 at 11:56 am

Wow that looks delicious! I’ve made candy before in a cooking class in college. I remember being extremely stressed out about the candy thermometer and the teacher telling us to be exact. Hard ball, soft ball, too many options! We made caramels and they turned out okay, but this looks better!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I still don’t know what the heck those terms mean. I just went by the temperature and it worked like a charm! I technically think it was “soft ball” stage though, lol

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 29, 2013 at 12:13 pm

This looks so, so, delicious!!

Herbivore Triathlete January 29, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I remember going to Ontario in the summers as a kid and loving the maple candy. It was a special treat and melt-in-your mouth delicious. This looks worth every minute of stirring and arm pain!

Averie @ Averie Cooks January 29, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I blogged about that maple cream from ATK 2 weeks ago! When I saw their images, I fell in love with the creaminess! And seeing yours, wow, whoa, amazing. I want to dig in. I would buy this stuff off you. I know I can make my own but yours just looks so inviting! :)

Dutchgirlsam January 29, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Oooh, that looks rediculously tasty. I’ve never heard of maple butter before, but I would love to give this recipe a try. Unfortunately maple syrup is quite expensive over here (and you can’t find it in the local super market), so I use it thoughtfully. Maybe I just make a small batch.

I really enjoy your lovely photo’s, your funny stories and your (for me) new recipes. Thank you so mutch for that, I apreciate it :).

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Thank you Sam, I appreciate it! :) I would totally make this for you if you are ever visiting Canada. :)

Kathryn January 29, 2013 at 12:42 pm

“Wow your arms are in such great shape – you must work out!”
“No, I just make maple butter.”

This sounds so good, and so exhausting ! Is it reeeeeealllly worth it? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 3:39 pm

hahah that needs to be in a cartoon!

Is it really worth it? I say yes and the husband says no (unless I could figure out how to make it in my stand mixer). He did most of the stirring though so that doesn’t surprise me. ;) He is also not a big candy fan whereas I am!

[email protected] n Dishes January 29, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Growing up I loved to put creamed honey on my toast. We never had maple syrup growing up, but it’s all I use now. I’m certain that I would adore this creamy maple butter on toast, scones, English muffins, pancakes…!

Joslyn January 29, 2013 at 12:49 pm

yuuuum!! This looks like an amazing treat….but 35min?? I dont know….after all that work i would have to hide it from my boys and hubby!!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats January 29, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Once a year around here there is “Maple Syrup Sunday” I always stock up on Maple Butter..its to DIE FOR! I totally agree that it is seriously one of the best spreads on earth!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 3:40 pm

It’s my happy place :)

Megan @ The Detoxinista January 29, 2013 at 1:29 pm

The first time I made my homemade Butterfingers, the maple syrup totally boiled over! So scary! (And messy.) Candy-making is a pain, but the results are so worth it in the end, that I am totally going to try making this soon. Now, if I can just convince my husband to share the stirring duties with me! I’m tempted to see if my food processor could handle the “stirring” for me… ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I think I remember reading that on your blog! That would be horrible!!! Its bad enough boiling over water. hah. Be careful with your processor, I’ve read it can burn out the motor since it’s so thick.

Jody January 29, 2013 at 1:37 pm

If maple cream is too much work, you might enjoy this one! (And I’m from upstate NY where we tapped our own trees… real maple cream will blow your mind and give new meaning to your life, but this one is super easy and super decadent!) FYI: I sub fresh coconut meat for unsweetened shredded coconut. I can’t remember where I initially found this recipe, but I know Sarma MeIngailis was responsible.

Maple Cream
– 1/4 cup cashews (preferably soaked in water 2+ hours)
– 1/4 cup coconut meat (from Young Thai coconut!)
– 1/4 cup maple syrup
– 1/8 cup water
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 1/8 tsp cinnamon
– 1/8 tsp sea salt

Jody January 29, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Run it all through a food processor btw… if that needed to be said. :)

Jenn January 29, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I have so many great memories of going to the maple syrup bush with my family in Peterborough when I was growing up. The maple butter was always my favourite. We still keep the tradition going every Spring. Thanks for sharing this technique. My sister in-law has her own bush so we always get freebies :)

Kim @ Cooking in the City January 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I’ve always been to scared to try anything requiring a candy thermometer! Does it taste just like maple syrup, with a fluffier texture? In 4th grade (in Rochester, NY) I remember a unit studying Native Americans and we learned how to make maple syrup from sap- so fun! I love that they used maple syrup to flavor dishes instead of salt.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 3:30 pm

It has a consistency like nut butter…although mine turned out firm because I stirred it too long. No biggie though, it will melt a bit when heated! It was my first time ever using a candy thermometre and it wasn’t as bad as I thought!

Isa from Québec January 29, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Wow! Ça c’est un vrai produit québécois!!!
;)

Rose! January 29, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Oh my goodness, YUM! Making this asap!

jodye @ chocolate & chou fleur January 29, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Thank you for reminding me that I’ve been meaning to try making maple butter for ages! I always see it in the grocery store, but I don’t want to pay $15 for a minuscule jar of the stuff. Your pictures have me drooling!

Christine @ Shot Bun January 29, 2013 at 4:41 pm

One of my favourite memories as a kid was when we would go on field trips to the ‘sugar bush’ and stuff our faces with maple candy and maple syrup on pancakes! We would also pour the maple on the snow and it would turn into taffy. If you live in eastern Ontario I highly suggest checking out Sand Road Maple Farm. Sweet memories for sure!

Laura January 29, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Oh my golly. This is a brilliant idea. I’m from Nova Scoia, living in London UK, and this would be the perfect way to have a little piece of home. I too remember going to the maple farms when I was little, and the syrup n the snow was the best deal ever!!! Thanks for all of this:)

A farmer in the dell January 29, 2013 at 5:59 pm

This looks so stinking good!!! I miss the amazing maple syrup products from Vermont. We just movedvtonoregon and I feel maple deprived! This recipe is very inspiring!

Bre January 29, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Aww it makes me so happy how many Ontarians/Canadians have fond childhood memories of maple syrup…I’m from Ontario as well and this article made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside haha…and craving real maple syrup in any form!! Mmmmm great job Angela :) I’m at work now though so i have to make due with my sunbutter and apple for now :(

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health January 29, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I have never made or heard of this before but it sounds delicious! I love that picture of Sketchie, so cute. I feel like I can hear him purring.

jaime rubeniuk January 29, 2013 at 6:34 pm

That looks amazing!! We lived in Barrie and Toronto for a little bit when I was little, and I remember visiting a maple tree farm… I too have always had a special place in my heart for those little maple leaf candies! So good :) Can’t wait to try this! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 29, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Swoooon! I have indeed tried maple butter – the jar you bought me from Whole Foods!! And I agree, it’s pretty special stuff! Does Canada have a national dish other than poutine? Maybe this should be it!

Laura @fivefocus January 29, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I am so excited to try this out this weekend…no need to book my abs and arms class now!

Lia @ Sojourning January 29, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I’ve had it before, but I’ve never known how to make it! It is like a buttery melty yummy heavenly amazing thing. Now I know it can be made at home. With assistance. Could it be put into a kitchen aid mixer with the whip attachment?

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 29, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Your maple butter looks magnificent!!
Such lovely pics!:)
I might try the maple cream recipe listed upthread in the comments too
As far as recipes go, I pretty much wanna try vegan maple anything haha

“Have you ever tried maple butter before or made any type of candy at home?”

^ I want to make a couple of things…I keep seeing recipes online for candied lemon peel, which looks great [I like lemon flavored anything] so I want to try that
I also want to make chocolate dipped fruit, like dried apricots dipped in heated melted vegan chocolate chips and then cooled down
The second one is easy, just haven’t gotten around to it yet. The lemon peel candy seems a bit more challenging, but gonna give it a try one of these days :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 29, 2013 at 10:17 pm

This sounds delicious. I think that it would be absolutely fabulous slathered on warm toast! Yum :).

angela January 29, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Do you think it could be stirred in a stand mixer?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Not sure – i’ve read it can burn out the motor

Andrea January 29, 2013 at 11:07 pm

“And by good on oatmeal I mean good on everything.” That says it all :) Looks absolutely delicious.

Pat January 29, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Any chance I could let my Kitchen Aid do the stirring for me since I don’t have a fantastic kitchen helper? Or would that cause it to cool too rapidly, if that would even be a problem?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Im not sure – I’ve read it can burn out the motor.

Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) January 29, 2013 at 11:18 pm

I love anything maple – syrup, butter, walnut ice cream, etc. And I have to say, this looks incredibly, disgustingly (in the best way) phenomenal. I think it’d last in my kitchen for a day at best! Therefore I should make TONS.

SO looking forward to trying this!

Andrea January 30, 2013 at 1:36 am

I think I just figured out what I’m going to do on my day off (Thursday!). Who needs to clean the house when I can make a wonderful, glorious, delicious mess in the kitchen?! I do have to admit I’m going to put it in the kitchenaid, though. My kitchenaid is still less than a month old so I pretty much take any and all opportunities I can to use it.

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 30, 2013 at 4:32 am

Forgot to add, that photo of your cat is gorgeous!!
I love animal pics :)

Bek @ Crave January 30, 2013 at 6:30 am

Um, this looks like so incredible mmmm. I’m sorta glad I’d never heard of maple cream and we don’t have it in Aus- things could get ugly. But now I know how to make it and I just bought a new bottle of pure maply syrup..is this a sign?

Lynne January 30, 2013 at 7:13 am

That looks over the moon delish !!! I can’t wait to give it a try (right after I kick myself for buying it all these years). We buy our maple syrup locally and it is sooooo divine ! I love the maple butter, maple candy and even apple butter. I see that someone else left a comment about apple butter. That would be a great recipe to attempt too ! (now that I am inspired by the maple butter idea !!) thanks for sharing ! Lynne

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 30, 2013 at 7:36 am

What a great workout with a most delicious award at the end!! I have to try this! I love maple syrup and I can only imagine how wonderful maple cream tastes!!!

Michelle January 30, 2013 at 9:24 am

oh yes!!!! We’ve had this in OH, but no way to get it here so far south. And the family business I bought it from doesn’t ship–even to me the daughter of their high school best bud. So we’ve been missing it. It’s on my list for next week. Thank you so much for investigating, trying and mostly for sharing !!!!

Lizzie January 30, 2013 at 10:22 am

Need. right. now! I also remember going to maple farms as a child. My grandfather also tapped maples in his woodlot. Yumm.

Kimberly Andresen-Reed January 30, 2013 at 10:42 am

Yeah, I’m going to half to try this at some point. I’ve also wanted to make maple candy for a while since the stuff that’s already made is so expensive. But I find that I am strangely protective of my maple syrup, using it only for special things and sparingly (like granola), since it’s far and away the most costly item in my pantry.

I, too, get the fear that in these situations, it won’t set up and then I’ll have wasted like 15 bucks of maple syrup.

Kelly Zdrowak January 30, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Hey I absolutely love your blog :)

I’m also really interested in healthy eating and living. I found a site: healthyrevelations.wordpress.com. It has a lot of amazing healthy recipes if you’d like to check it out

Maria Tadic January 30, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I’m absolutely in love with maple syrup, maple candy or anything else maple flavored. Hands down…making this recipe this weekend!

Emily @ MainEats January 30, 2013 at 3:19 pm

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I NEED TO EAT THIS! On absolutely everything! Wow-never heard of this-thanks for bringing it to my attention! Beautiful!

Mystery Runner January 30, 2013 at 3:34 pm

YUM! I am running out to the store to make some!

I also wanted to thank you on your post about carrageenan. I had no idea! I had obviously read the label and noticed it but never thought too much about it since I thought that it was simply a thickener. Since replacing all products that contained it, I have noticed a dramatic difference in my stomach upset, who knew??? So, thank you for mentioning it and bringing it to my attention.

Steph January 30, 2013 at 5:16 pm

This. Looks. Amazing! What would you suggest putting it on?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2013 at 10:30 am

oatmeal, pancakes, muffins…a spoon! :)

kimmythevegan January 30, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Mmmmm yummy. That looks dee-licious!
I am a maple syrup freak, I can understand your feelings =)

Alex @ Delicious-Knowledge.com January 30, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I’ve never had this before but I just know I will love it. Maple- check. Buttery goodness- double check! I don’t know if I have the patience for stirring something this long, but I will find out! Or bribe my husband!

maureen January 30, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Could you use an electric mixer instead of doing it by hand? Would that work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2013 at 10:30 am

I’ve heard it can burn out the motor, so im not sure!

maureen January 31, 2013 at 5:34 pm

It seems like my upright Kitchen Aid mixer could withstand the 30 mins. It’s a workhorse. Anyone have one of those?

Lindsay January 30, 2013 at 8:48 pm

This makes me hungry, even though I just ate a huge meal. Somehow, there’s always room for maple cream. LOVE those little maple leaf candies!

{Moni} @ Moni Meals January 30, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Oh WOW! I have to try this Ang. Never have before! Thanks!! xx

sheila January 30, 2013 at 10:56 pm

this looks divine. my mouth is watering just looking at the pictures!

Nicole January 30, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Question unrelated to maple butter – where do you buy your nutritional yeast in Ontario? Is there a place you can order from. Does Whole Foods have it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I buy it from Whole Foods and Fortinos usually :)

Melissa January 31, 2013 at 12:29 am

We used to get those little maple leaf candies when we would drive from Illinois up into Wisconsin for vacation. LOVED them! I found them this Christmas at World Market in Phoenix and bought them for my parents and siblings to bring back those memories- and introduced my own kids to them! yummy! I found Maple Butter at Whole Foods in the baking aisle! I had never had it before. It’s very yummy! I like it on corn bread!
I’m wondering….can you use a Kitchenaid mixer to do the stirring??

Ruth January 31, 2013 at 9:46 am

Oh yes! I grew up on maple syrup, maple candy, etc. since my mom’s workplace had a maple sugaring “sugarbush” every year (she worked at a nature center). And then one day I had maple cream, and it was like I entered another realm.

I recently found some available locally at a farmer’s market, and I definitely made the impulse buy. The stuff I bought separates like nobody’s business, but I don’t mind stirring it a bit to slather it all over…well, let’s be honest…ANYTHING!

Lisa January 31, 2013 at 10:21 am

I am generally not a big fan of sweet spreads, but this looks delicious! And how am I a Canadian that has never even heard of maple butter? I need to try this!!!

Jennifer January 31, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Mine didn’t turn out :( I stirred for the entire duration of “Earth Girls Are Easy.” I kept myself going with the thought that you were about to give up, but yours turned out. I’m so sad! It did thicken up and lighten in color, but never got to the peanut butter stage. I used Grade A, and apparently Grade B is supposed to be better. Also, mine boiled over and really freaked me out (should have paid attention when you said not to crank up the heat, and also when she said not to turn your back on it.) Anyways, think I’ll give it another shot soon. Tastes amazing, though.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2013 at 10:42 am

Aw bummer, sorry it didn’t turn out for you! Yes I’ve heard that different grades can produce different results. Did you use a candy thermometer too?

Jennifer February 1, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I did. It had only reached 225 when it started boiling over, but it was such a mess that I didn’t bother letting it get to 235, just transferred it to the bowl early. But I love your pics and descriptions so much. You’ve really made me want to get this right. Thanks for the inspiration.

Maria January 31, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Just made this, and it is wonderful! Didn’t really bother to use a thermometer, just placed the pan on the stove, went to watch a little telly, got back into the kitchen and saw that it was boiling. Took the pan of the heat and allowed it the cool a little, before bringing it in the living room. Much easier to stir for 35 minutes (although i don’t think I stirred more than 15) when you are watching Masterchef! :)

Think I accidentally “over”stirred mine, so its not buttery soft, but can be rolled into beautifyl little mapletoffee balls, sooo good-.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2013 at 10:39 am

Oh wow thats great it worked for you!!! Yes I over stirred mine too….a little heats softens it right up. Its soooo good straight from the fridge though!

suzanne January 31, 2013 at 6:24 pm

This looks so good – my boyz LOVE maple cream but it is so pricey I do not buy it often (we live in maple country so some local people make it). It is like gold around here and they fight over who put more on their muffin, bagel or whatever (great on soft pumpkin pretzels!). We are excited to try this recipe – thank you!!!

Vanessa January 31, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Yum!!!!

Kelly January 31, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Ok, that looks so delicious I have an urge to lick the screen! I am definitely trying this recipe. Thx so much for the gorgeous pictures.

Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy January 31, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I had no idea you could do this to maple syrup. I am going to try it this weekend. The added arm workout is obviously a big bonus.

Shana February 1, 2013 at 7:12 am

I asked my husband to help me make this and he made disgusted faces at me when I told him how long we had to stir……..then I showed him the picture :) It’s on the agenda for this weekend!

Shannon February 1, 2013 at 5:22 pm

My first taste of maple butter was at this little place just outside of Quebec City called Chez Marie. They bake bread daily outside in a brick oven, and for $1.50 you can get a warm slice of freshly baked bread slathered in the house-made maple butter. This is the best place on Earth.

Rachel Cope February 3, 2013 at 1:30 am

Hi! I love this pure maple butter recipe but couldn’t find the button to print it! Can you help me out? Did I miss it in the post? Cheers!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Hey Rachel, Oh I didn’t type up the recipe because I linked to the original recipe + how to video on ATK. Its near the bottom…hope this helps!

Kathy February 4, 2013 at 11:58 am

We made the maple cream last night after watching the America’s Test Kitchen video and the tips on this page. We live in the mountains, so had to make a correction for elevation (2 degrees F for each 1,000 ft above sea level). The tip to calibrate the candy thermometer was great since ours was off by about 7 degrees from the corrected water boiling point. With all the corrections, we only needed to get to 217 degrees F on our thermometer (no wonder my caramels never came out right!). Anyway, it was a total success and we got the lovely matte tahini color in about 25 minutes of stirring. We might have over-stirred a little since we had trouble pouring it out of the pan into the storage container. It is lovely stuff! It does get hard in the refrigerator, so I’m wondering if it has to be refrigerated with all that sugar? We have found so many great recipes as well as entertaining commentary on this site – thanks so much for sharing your cooking adventures.

Andrea February 5, 2013 at 1:03 am

Hmmmm… Could one use a food processor to do the whipping after it gets up to temperature? It might have to cool slightly first. What do you think?

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen February 5, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Oh my gosh, I had no idea that such a thing existed! This looks heavenly, but will you come over to my house and make it please? I don’t have the patience for such things. Also, your story about growing up and eating maple candies and creating the candy in the snow sounds so magical! I want to come to that now! That’s such an awesome memory!

Ann February 7, 2013 at 11:38 am

Looks wonderful. You’ll forgive me if I skip the steps and just wait for the sap to start running in New Brunswick? Will be adding to my oatmeal repitoire.

Melissa February 7, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Thanks for this post, Angela. I made the cream last night and it was wonderful on whole grain pancakes this morning. I tested out my thermometer beforehand as you suggested and tried to compensate for for it’s inaccuracy….I don’t think I got the temperature right because it didn’t become thick and lose it’s gloss even after 45 minutes of stirring, but it is the thickest, most delicious spread on earth nonetheless! I could melt it down and try again, but it won’t last long enough :)

Kathy February 11, 2013 at 11:53 am

We finished off the first batch in a week – my waistline is afraid to make more : ) ! My post above neglected to define that you should SUBTRACT 2 degrees F from the recommended boiling temperature of 235 degrees F for each 1,000 feet you are above sea level. We added the 1/4 teaspoon of oil (to decrease foam) and a pinch of salt too (which did nicely balance the sweet). This really is the best spread on earth!

Lindsay February 11, 2013 at 11:46 am

I ration out the little bit I buy every year… Because I didn’t know you could make it yourself!!!!

This is AMAZING — THANK YOU!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2013 at 11:53 am

Enjoy :) I’ve already managed to eat half of my batch! Its dangerous….but seriously makes life worth living!! hah

Esther February 17, 2013 at 9:45 am

I had never heard of maple cream until your post, and you were right! It’s worth the stiff shoulders. I made your pumpkin spiced donuts and slathered the maple cream all over it in an inch thick layer, and it was devine. Thanks so much for the recipe and link! :)

Lindsey March 14, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I have seen it in the store, but never tried it. Now that I have read about how it’s made, though, I will have to try it! Thank you!

Emily April 10, 2013 at 12:05 pm

This sounds amazing and I could use a good arm workout :)

Kal April 11, 2013 at 6:26 am

I am from Vermont; land of maple syrup and our daughter is graduating from college there in May. We are military currently stationed in Washington D.C. I am making a list of things that we need to buy when in VT for graduation and lo and behold maple cream is high on the list of products that we must bring back along with Cabot bacon cheddar cheese that we can’t find here and many other wonderful maple products. My daughter eats it out of the jar with a spoon and puts her name on said jar (as if anyone having seen her eat from it WOULD).

I have relatives with sugar shacks still and I am going to use some of the syrup we bring back in May to try our “hand” at it! Thanks Angela!

Kati April 11, 2013 at 10:31 am

I am crazy for this idea. Honestly, pure maple is the #1 flavor of anything ever. My question is, does the volume increase? I’m hoping the answer is yes so I can have EVEN MORE MAPLE! Haha thanks for sharing; can’t wait to try this!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2013 at 10:39 am

No unfortunately not…it decreases a alot! Probably by at least half

Krystal April 16, 2013 at 12:14 am

This looks incredible! I love all things maple but have never even heard of maple butter before. Looking at those pics just makes my mouth water and I can’t wait to make it and put it on everything! Absolutely lovely share! Thank you :)

Stephanie Van Ekelenburg July 31, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Can sugar free maple syrup be used and would it be grade a or b? I am so excited to make this! Thanks for sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2013 at 9:03 am

Hmm…I didn’t even know they made sugar-free maple syrup! I can’t comment on the flavour, but if you try it out let us know how it went.

SHEILA CAGGIANO August 28, 2013 at 7:15 am

Please advise if you have ever used this “cream” as a frosting and what did you add to it. I am following a low glycemic diet and the maple syrup I can have but confectioners sugar I can not have. I am wondering if I added a little cream cheese to this if it would serve as a frosting. What do you think? Or, can you give me some other suggestions. Thank you so much.

Kate September 19, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I just had this! We put some goat cheese on crackers with a drizzle of the maple butter. TOTALLY DELISH! I loved the sweetness

Megan October 13, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I tried this and within the first 10 minutes of stirring it turned to rock! :( I don’t know what happened but it was such a bummer. I heated it to 235 degrees and then cooled it but it wasn’t quite at 100 degrees when I started stirring only because the video said it should take about 15 minutes but I waited over 20 and it hadn’t reached 100 degrees yet so I didn’t want to wait too long before stirring but I’m wondering if that’s what I did wrong.. I don’t know what else it could be. But I’m so bummed I don’t even know if I want to try it again. :( Would it have been better to wait even longer (probably would have taken about 30 minutes) to make sure it got to 100 degrees before stirring?

Micah Millett November 7, 2013 at 11:34 am

Don’t worry yourself with temperatures just bring it to a boil, Then bring down the heat for 5 mins, then take it off. Once you have removed from the heat start your stirring.

Candice November 3, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I am excited to try this. I sometimes treat myself to a jar of maple butter… I just ate a spoonful a few minutes ago. haha
I sat down at the computer and wondered if there are any recipes that use this or a recipe of how to make it. I can’t wait to give this a go… I think I would also like to eat maple butter on my deathbed. And homemade maple butter? Must be incredible!

Micah Millett November 7, 2013 at 11:28 am

Thanks for the recipe , I did this by myself. After boiling for about 6 mins I took off the heat and started stirring in almost like a small whipping motion , Anyways It turned into maple butter after only 11 mins of stirring so I hope everyone doesn’t get discouraged because of the time because it can be done In about 1/3 of the time you used. Its all about creating as many bubbles as you can with movement , Also taste varies in maple butter with the different grades of syrup. Thanks – Micah

Laurie December 13, 2013 at 7:03 am

Nothing like seeing this recipe on the morning of a day off from work (the year end burning of vacation time that I will otherwise lose). This was just added to my day’s agenda…drop kiddo of at school….work out…make maple cream…make oatmeal for breakfast using maple cream. I can’t wait!!!

Kristen Williams January 30, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Hi there!

I just stumbled on this post in a Google search for recipes with Maple Cream. I have a jar that I received for Christmas and I have no idea what to do with it. For me, it’s too sweet to eat on toast or anything other breakfast item. Do you happen to have or know of any recipes that call for Maple Cream IN them? I would love some suggestions! This is a great blog BTW.

Thanks so much!
Kristen

Natalie killam March 31, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I attempted to make this..it turned into maple sugar

Millie April 3, 2014 at 10:32 am

I have tried this recipe a couple of times now. It always turns to sugar on me. I even got a digital thermometer so I could be more exact. What am I doing wrong?

Beth June 30, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Just wondering if anyone has tried any part of this recipe in a Vitamix?

DMO July 26, 2014 at 10:21 am

How long does it last when refrigerated?

Melanie October 13, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Can I use my kitchen stand mixer to whip it instead?

Suzy January 5, 2015 at 10:46 am

Is there an actual step-by-step recipe to make this somewhere? I’d love to try it, but can’t find an actual recipe. Help! Thanks!

Amy January 17, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Hi, my husband and I got a Vermont Maple Cream as a gift recently and when we opened it today we saw some greyish mold on the liquidy part on the surface of the plastic jar. The sides had some mold too. Is the maple cream still safe to be consumed? Can we heat it up?

Irena June 1, 2015 at 8:22 am

Thanks for sharing this great idea! However I have already tried to make this maple butter twice without success. I’ve followed the instructions exactly and used a candy thermometer to determine the temperature. It seems to me that my maple syrup is weird. Every time I heat it up to 235 F it already becomes similar to a thick very sticky caramel, that is extremly hard to stir. After I’ve been stirring it continuously, it changes its color but gets really really thick and sticky, more like a caramel ball than a spread. When I try it, I can’t taste any cristals and the consistency seems ok, but its just not spreadable. The only thing I think might have made a difference is the maple syrup I’ve used. Has anyone had similar experience? I’ve used grade A maple syrup.

Chef Elle June 4, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Can you post the actual recipe? Its hard to find amongst all of the wording. Beautiful cat :)

Katherine Taylor November 18, 2015 at 10:25 am

Where can I find the recipe??? I’ve only found recipes that add real butter and I cannot have butter.

Reza @ detoxopedia December 16, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Stirring a very thick syrup for 30 minutes is a freaking hard work! I don’t recommend anyone to go it alone…

mamaorganic February 20, 2016 at 12:04 pm

I can’t see the recipe for this???

Angela Liddon February 25, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Hi there, I didn’t write a recipe out for the maple butter, just included a link to the America’s Test Kitchen how-to video because they already explain the process so well! Here’s the link (it’s so easy to miss in the post!): http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2012/12/how-to-make-maple-cream/

Hope this helps! :)

mamaorganic February 25, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Thank you so much, I can’t wait to make this!!! ?

rebecca March 2, 2016 at 9:15 am

how much syrup for how much butter?
after you reach the 212 temp. what temp. do you bring it down to before the stirring process?
we make our own syrup and would love to try this

Angela Liddon March 25, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Hi Rebecca, this link to America’s Test Kitchen gives super helpful, step-by-step directions: http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2012/12/how-to-make-maple-cream/. Good luck and enjoy! :)

Tamara March 2, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Maple butter is an incredibly happy memory from my childhood. I would love to have it again!

Amanda September 27, 2016 at 8:28 am

Oh wow, I bet this stuff would be the perfect substitute for marshmallows in rice crispy treats, or my other favorite buckwheat crispy treats!! Thanks for sharing :)

Anita Cross November 24, 2016 at 8:34 am

Love this recipe, turned out perfect, tks. I have a ?. I would love to send a coupole jars to my daughter using UPS. I estimate it would take 3 to 5 days. Would the maple cream stay stabilized that long. If not, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Doreen November 24, 2016 at 11:16 am

It was amaaaazing! Especially on the vegan banana bread :O

It took a bit of time to make (as you had mentioned) but it makes a pretty good quantity that will last a while so it’s definitely worth it!

Caro January 19, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Mine turned out real hard within a few minutes of stirring. What did I do wrong.? Is this batch redeemable, or do I have to throw it out.
Please reply. I really want to do this.

Kendra March 27, 2017 at 11:10 pm

That is maple cream. Maple butter is maple syrup and butter mixed together.

liza May 25, 2017 at 7:17 am

hi

Angela Liddon June 9, 2017 at 10:38 am

Hi Liza, I believe I included a couple links in the post text that should help you out. :)

Gabrielle Paskins May 29, 2017 at 10:39 am

I’ve been mixing it in an electric mixer for 45 minutes now and it’s still runny! It turned into a lighter color like it supposed to but its still very liquidy! What should I do?