Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

homemade maple cream (maple butter)-1451

You know when someone asks what you’d want to eat for your last meal? I never know what the heck to say. Umm, everything?! There are really so many foods I adore, such as this maple butter. To be honest, I’d love nothing more than a huge vat of maple butter on my death bed. Ok, and maybe some homemade almond milk to wash it down. I’d kindly ask someone to feed it to me with a big wooden spoon and I wouldn’t even worry about ruining my appetite or splitting my pants. What a glorious way to kick the bucket.

I’ve wanted to make maple butter since I had my first visit to a maple farm as a little girl. They sent us home with maple leaf candy (the start of a lifelong obsession) and I’d watch in awe with my classmates as the adults showed us huge pots of boiling syrup in the chilly Canadian outdoors. The best part was when they’d throw syrup onto the snow and it turned into big chunks of maple candy for us to eat. Us kids, of course, thought that was magic. Even though I was very young, this experience instilled a warm curiosity about food from nature and an interest in making things from scratch.

In case some of you aren’t familiar, maple butter (or maple cream) is pure maple syrup that has been boiled to a certain temperature, left to decrease in temperature, and then whipped/stirred like crazy for a good 30-35 minutes. This technique is hard-freaking-work, but I certainly don’t regret making it. I was thankful though that Eric helped me with the stirring. Every 5 minutes we’d switch so one person could rest and watch the other moan and complain about how long it was taking. Ok, ok, it was more like a 7 minute to 3 minute split, but who’s counting?

homemade maple cream (maple butter)-1422

Twenty-five minutes into the 35-minute marathon stirring session, self-doubt crept in. I was sure that it wasn’t brought to the right temperature or we didn’t use the right grade of maple syrup.

Eric, as always, shows me why I shouldn’t give up so easily. Not just with cooking, but with everything in life.

“Oh it will work, keep the faith.”

Of course he was right.

Right before my eyes, the shiny amber candy turned into a beautiful tan matte butter. It was the most rewarding, magical thing.

homemade maple cream (maple butter)-1425 homemade maple cream (maple butter)-1424

And then I got to lick the wooden spoon! And then scrape the pot! Suddenly, I forgot all about my tired, weary arms. I could now climb mountains.

homemade maple cream (maple butter)-1439

Then we had it on muffins. Needless to say, it’s “hidden” in the back of the fridge where I will obviously discover it multiple times per day just by coincidence. Did I mention it’s good on oatmeal? And by good on oatmeal I mean good on everything.

maple cream maple butter-1497

Anyway, there’s no need for me to re-write the recipe today. I’m not reinventing the wheel, just using a technique that has been explained wonderfully elsewhere. America’s Test Kitchen has a video and step-by-step photos on their site and it helped me a lot. You can find the directions here.

The only thing I would add to their directions is to test your candy thermometre before you start. Just bring a pot of water to a boil and make sure that your thermometre reads about 212 F (the boiling point of water). Once you know it’s working properly, you can proceed with confidence. Oh and it’s also worth mentioning that you shouldn’t have any kids or pets around when making this. The syrup is extremely hot and dangerous so be careful. My last tip is to increase the heat fairly gradually from the start. I, of course, cranked the burner heat to MAX and it nearly boiled over sending me into a panicked frenzy (as if I wasn’t already). I’m sure the next time will go much more smoothly now that I know what to expect.

One more thing. Sketchie says hi. ….and stop bugging me when I sleep.

sketchie-1377

Have you ever tried maple butter before or made any type of candy at home?

1 Miche January 29, 2013

Thanks for sharing — I have never heard of this before, but it sounds amazing. It’s going on my list of things I must make eventually (quite the long list now…). I just made your lasagna will basil cashew cheeze last night, and it was wonderful!

My corgi pups say hello to Sketchie! :)

2 Miche January 29, 2013

Oops, I need to learn to check my spelling before getting so excited about replying.. *with not will!

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

I hear you on the long list! hah. Glad you enjoyed the lasagna :)

4 Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} January 29, 2013

This looks to die for! I love following America’s Test Kitchen recipes… although with this one I would probably still be unsure! I’ll be trying this as soon as I can convince my boyfriend to do half the work :)

5 Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day January 29, 2013

Oh good lord this looks amazing! I’m the same way, I can never answer that “last meal” question, how could you ever choose!?? There’s this famous pancake parlor in the town I’m from in New Hampshire and the table is full of maple syrup, maple butter, maple sugar, everything! I always slather up some coconut pancakes with the maple butter…pure heaven :) Never thought to make it myself, great post!

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

oh wow, that sounds lovely. Now I have to make pancakes this week :)

7 Katie January 29, 2013

This may be a stupid question, but can this maple butter be used in the place of butter or Earth Balance in recipes? Or is it mostly used for spreading?

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

gosh im really not sure…it’s super sweet so you’d also have to reduce the sweetener. I do want to try it in a baked good so I will report back if I do.

9 Mary Kate January 29, 2013

Polly’s Pancake Parlor? Yeah, that’s where I’ve had it, too. And it’s AMAZING (so is the maple pepper they sell — http://maplepepper.com/).

It’s 9 pm, and I’m not hungry, but I could decimate a plate of pancakes now.

10 Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day January 31, 2013

YES, Mary Kate! That’s the place! I’ve never had the maple pepper but that sounds amazing! I always feel like I want to die when I leave but its worth it :)

11 Aislinn September 11, 2013

Parker’s Maple Barn?

12 John W September 4, 2015

Parker’s Maple Barn is in Mason N.H. superb breakfast place and they make their own maple syrup and products on site.. if you have never been it’s a must go to place at least once before you die!!

13 Jessica @ Chockohlawtay January 29, 2013

THAT. looks. ABSOLUTELY. DELICIOUS!

I am making this asap. It’s now #1 on my to-make list. Beautiful pictures too btw :)

14 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh January 29, 2013

This looks like something that could get me in a lot of trouble. Delicious, finger lickin’ trouble. But all of the stirring counteracts the calorie consumption though, right? RIGHT!?!? :D Actually, it makes me want to make this and strap on my heart rate monitor. Aww man, see what you did!

15 Cook Snap Savour January 29, 2013

Oh that looks fantastic!!!! I should find something on TV to watch while I stir :)

16 Jess January 29, 2013

I want to jump into that jar of maple cream!! I LOVE maple sugar candy. And maple syrup. I will definitely try this one! Yum!!

17 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 29, 2013

Wow. That is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. Now that I know this exists I don’t know that I can live without it!

18 Daisy January 29, 2013

Oh dear, I’m in trouble now. I got some little jars of pure maple butter for Christmas. I haven’t been spreading it on anything, just taking little scoops here and there. It’s so darn good. I hadn’t thought to see if I could actually make some and now that I know that I can, my maple syrup stock is in trouble, too. ;)

19 Jess January 29, 2013

Looks amazing! Do you think it’d be possible to mix with a stand mixer, instead of by hand?

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Hi Jess, I’ve heard it can burn out the motor? But im really not sure if a stand mixer would work or not! I’d be a bit scared to try. Maybe if someone has tried it they can let us know. :)

21 Shannon January 29, 2013

I’ve done it in my stand mixer, no problem! Delicious on sweet potato cinnamon rolls :)

22 Jess February 1, 2013

Thanks, Shannon and Angela. Looking forward to trying it.

23 Owen February 20, 2014

I just made this with a hand-held electric mixer. The entire process took about 20 minutes. Not only was I able to complete this project without straining my shapely biceps, but I was able to utilize my left hand to text back sarcastic responses to craigslist scammers attempting to buy my bicycle from Nigeria via paypal.
I am a genius.

24 Owen February 22, 2014

Update: My impetuous proclamations of victory were a bit premature. The maple crème was slightly thinner than a peanut-butter-like consistency for two days. It has now started to return to thinner maple syrup. Unless this is normal, then the electric mixer technique is flawed.
The lesson I take away from this is: eat it all within two days.

25 Crystal T September 17, 2014

I was going to ask the same thing about a stand mixer!

26 Willow January 29, 2013

I adore maple butter! I’ve never made it myself, though… I’ll have to check out that America’s Test Kitchen Video. You’ve inspired me!

27 Ashley January 29, 2013

I tried maple butter for the first time last year at Seattle’s Public Market, in this tiny crumpet shop. I’d never had a crumpet before either, so I stopped in and asked what the favorite was. It was a crumpet with maple butter, a bit of cream cheese, and walnuts. It was the best thing I think I’ve ever tasted! I’ve been wanting to recreate it ever since, so now might just be the time!

28 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan January 29, 2013

Ohhh my oh my, look at that creamy deliciousness!

29 Sarah @ Yogi in Action January 29, 2013

Wow- that looks absolutely delicious. The 35 minutes of stirring makes it less likely that I will make it. Though the delicious pictures of it does make me want to…. decisions, decisions!

30 Shundara@ SavyNaturalista January 29, 2013

I will just take the whole jar thank you.. It reminds me of praline candy I tried to make and burned the the pot and spoon.. Did you use a candy thermometer to make this cream?

31 Marie Westmeyer January 29, 2013

Looks good but I don’t see directions. What temperature do you bring it up to? For how long? And what temp must it cool to before you start whipping it?

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Hi Marie, please see the bottom of the post where I linked to the directions.

33 Lauren January 29, 2013

What a neat recipe! It’s amazing how the composition of food changes with heat. I’ve taken apple juice and put it to heat to make an apple ‘honey’, which I use in a lot of recipes.

The maple butter looks delicious, but that muffin you spread it on looks even better! :)

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Omg I want to try that out! Is it on your blog?

35 donnacrews June 16, 2013

I make the Apple reduction sauce all the time. you don’t need a recipe–just pour apple juice into a pot and stir it over medium to low heat until it’s thick and syrupy. that’s all there is to it. you can store it in the freezer and use it whenever you like later.

36 tayspoon January 29, 2013

Ohhh-Emmm-Geeee!! this brings me back to my childhood, when i would spend my summers with my grandma in Montreal. She always had a can of Map-O-Spread. I would put it on my toast every morning. that or nutella lol thanks for sharing!! i puffy heart you!!

37 Alex @ Raw Recovery January 29, 2013

That looks really good! I got my sister some rum butter from London and it looks very much the same. I haven’t tried it though!

38 Anne January 29, 2013

It looks amazing. I am super scared to try it.. but I will just have to. Since I found your blog I am eating the baked oatmeal in a jar every morning in school for breakfast ( i am a HS study hall teacher) and the students think it looks amazing and are always asking me to bring more. Completely different reactions to my green monsters I drink in class every once in a while too :) Love all your soups and OMG specially the revised meat loaf.. yumm!! a LUNCH favorite! I got a question for you.. my hubby and me are right now rethinking our life plans and he is applying for a couple of different railroad jobs and locations.. well anyways.. some of them in Canada. Where is a great place to live there? Do you have any favorites? And don’t feel like you have to answer.. I know you are a busy bee! but thanks if you do!

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2013

Oh gosh that is so hard to answer because it depends on so many factors…cost of living, what type of city you like (large/urban vs outskirts/country) etc etc. if you are an urban girl try Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver (however they are expensive as most big cities can be). I’ve lived in NB and ON so I certainly can’t comment on all of Canada -there are so many great places to live in this country! My favourite place I’ve lived so far would be where I am now in Oakville – close to Toronto but still has a small city feel to it. If you want a real laid back vibe, down to earth people, and good housing prices, look into the east coast.

40 Anne January 31, 2013

thank you so much!!! yeah i definitely would prefer a small town feeling and some down to earth people.. but close to a big city as well! we will see what life brings! :)

41 Melana August 1, 2014

My hubby and I moved to Coquitlam, BC seven years ago & have had the best experience! It’s within 30 minutes to Vancouver, but still small-townish enough to be reasonably priced. Plus, you are literally 15-20 minutes away from countless lakes, rainforests & the ocean. It’s been a fabulous choice for us. Maybe consider it?

42 Thea January 29, 2013

Would you refrigerate or leave jar at room temp?

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

I keep it in the fridge, but not sure if it can be left at room temp too. It hardens when chilled but will soften when heated.

44 Tanya @ playful and hungry January 29, 2013

Let’s go with “The best spread on planet earth”.
This looks so good! =)

45 Lisa January 29, 2013

This looks incredible- as do the muffins and both are making me hungry!

46 Stacy January 29, 2013

We can make this at home??!! I had no idea! I always buy it from the maple syrup place I visit. Mmmmm maple cream, soooo good.

47 Chloe January 29, 2013

Looks delicious but I think I’ll continue to buy it at the market. :)

What I should really be trying my hand at (and taking turns stirring brought back to mind) is a vegan version of sucre à la crème. The French Canadian fudge you’ve also probably eaten before.

The original recipe is real cream, sugar and brown sugar, brought to 236 gently, slowly cooled to 110 then stirred like crazy until it turns but not too much or it’ll separate. It’s the creamiest thing ever. A vegan version would entail some serious kitchen chemistry (or magic).

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

I’ve wanted to make that forever now…I’ll have to give it a shot. I’m thinking coconut milk cream to sub for the dairy cream.

49 Mélanie January 30, 2013

Ok now i’m going to have to try my aunt’s sucre à crème recipe with coconut milk! Being French Canadian I think maple runs in my veins from my upbringing! Nothing beats going to the ‘Cabana à sucre’ and stuffing your face with foods slathered in maple products :D

I’ve got such a notorious sweet tooth that my aunt sends along maple butter each year with my maple syrup order. It keeps wonderfully in the freezer so buy/make batches and then your set for the year!

50 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition January 29, 2013

I had some of this for the first time when I was in Mount Tremblant with my family! So delicious! So sweet though (which is a good thing!) because I don’t devour it all

51 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 29, 2013

Wow that looks absolutely decadent! I am sure its incredible on crunchy toast or warm oatmeal!

52 Katherine January 29, 2013

Ohh, my first thought was to dip pretzels into this for an insane salty/sweet combo. YUM

53 Sarah January 29, 2013

Was that Mountsberg, by chance, that you visited as a kid? I’m from Milton and we had field trips there every year. It was the best! Man. I love Canada.

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Gosh I don’t remember, I’ll have to find out! I want to go back :)

55 Danielle @ Two Love Birds January 29, 2013

I’ve never heard of Maple Butter but this looks and sounds amazing!

56 Mary January 29, 2013

Wow that looks delicious! I’ve made candy before in a cooking class in college. I remember being extremely stressed out about the candy thermometer and the teacher telling us to be exact. Hard ball, soft ball, too many options! We made caramels and they turned out okay, but this looks better!

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

I still don’t know what the heck those terms mean. I just went by the temperature and it worked like a charm! I technically think it was “soft ball” stage though, lol

58 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 29, 2013

This looks so, so, delicious!!

59 Herbivore Triathlete January 29, 2013

I remember going to Ontario in the summers as a kid and loving the maple candy. It was a special treat and melt-in-your mouth delicious. This looks worth every minute of stirring and arm pain!

60 Averie @ Averie Cooks January 29, 2013

I blogged about that maple cream from ATK 2 weeks ago! When I saw their images, I fell in love with the creaminess! And seeing yours, wow, whoa, amazing. I want to dig in. I would buy this stuff off you. I know I can make my own but yours just looks so inviting! :)

61 Dutchgirlsam January 29, 2013

Oooh, that looks rediculously tasty. I’ve never heard of maple butter before, but I would love to give this recipe a try. Unfortunately maple syrup is quite expensive over here (and you can’t find it in the local super market), so I use it thoughtfully. Maybe I just make a small batch.

I really enjoy your lovely photo’s, your funny stories and your (for me) new recipes. Thank you so mutch for that, I apreciate it :).

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Thank you Sam, I appreciate it! :) I would totally make this for you if you are ever visiting Canada. :)

63 Kathryn January 29, 2013

“Wow your arms are in such great shape – you must work out!”
“No, I just make maple butter.”

This sounds so good, and so exhausting ! Is it reeeeeealllly worth it? :)

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

hahah that needs to be in a cartoon!

Is it really worth it? I say yes and the husband says no (unless I could figure out how to make it in my stand mixer). He did most of the stirring though so that doesn’t surprise me. ;) He is also not a big candy fan whereas I am!

65 Kari@Loaves n Dishes January 29, 2013

Growing up I loved to put creamed honey on my toast. We never had maple syrup growing up, but it’s all I use now. I’m certain that I would adore this creamy maple butter on toast, scones, English muffins, pancakes…!

66 Joslyn January 29, 2013

yuuuum!! This looks like an amazing treat….but 35min?? I dont know….after all that work i would have to hide it from my boys and hubby!!

67 Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats January 29, 2013

Once a year around here there is “Maple Syrup Sunday” I always stock up on Maple Butter..its to DIE FOR! I totally agree that it is seriously one of the best spreads on earth!

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

It’s my happy place :)

69 Megan @ The Detoxinista January 29, 2013

The first time I made my homemade Butterfingers, the maple syrup totally boiled over! So scary! (And messy.) Candy-making is a pain, but the results are so worth it in the end, that I am totally going to try making this soon. Now, if I can just convince my husband to share the stirring duties with me! I’m tempted to see if my food processor could handle the “stirring” for me… ;)

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

I think I remember reading that on your blog! That would be horrible!!! Its bad enough boiling over water. hah. Be careful with your processor, I’ve read it can burn out the motor since it’s so thick.

71 Jody January 29, 2013

If maple cream is too much work, you might enjoy this one! (And I’m from upstate NY where we tapped our own trees… real maple cream will blow your mind and give new meaning to your life, but this one is super easy and super decadent!) FYI: I sub fresh coconut meat for unsweetened shredded coconut. I can’t remember where I initially found this recipe, but I know Sarma MeIngailis was responsible.

Maple Cream
– 1/4 cup cashews (preferably soaked in water 2+ hours)
– 1/4 cup coconut meat (from Young Thai coconut!)
– 1/4 cup maple syrup
– 1/8 cup water
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 1/8 tsp cinnamon
– 1/8 tsp sea salt

72 Jody January 29, 2013

Run it all through a food processor btw… if that needed to be said. :)

73 Jenn January 29, 2013

I have so many great memories of going to the maple syrup bush with my family in Peterborough when I was growing up. The maple butter was always my favourite. We still keep the tradition going every Spring. Thanks for sharing this technique. My sister in-law has her own bush so we always get freebies :)

74 Kim @ Cooking in the City January 29, 2013

I’ve always been to scared to try anything requiring a candy thermometer! Does it taste just like maple syrup, with a fluffier texture? In 4th grade (in Rochester, NY) I remember a unit studying Native Americans and we learned how to make maple syrup from sap- so fun! I love that they used maple syrup to flavor dishes instead of salt.

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

It has a consistency like nut butter…although mine turned out firm because I stirred it too long. No biggie though, it will melt a bit when heated! It was my first time ever using a candy thermometre and it wasn’t as bad as I thought!

76 Isa from Québec January 29, 2013

Wow! Ça c’est un vrai produit québécois!!!
;)

77 Rose! January 29, 2013

Oh my goodness, YUM! Making this asap!

78 jodye @ chocolate & chou fleur January 29, 2013

Thank you for reminding me that I’ve been meaning to try making maple butter for ages! I always see it in the grocery store, but I don’t want to pay $15 for a minuscule jar of the stuff. Your pictures have me drooling!

79 Christine @ Shot Bun January 29, 2013

One of my favourite memories as a kid was when we would go on field trips to the ‘sugar bush’ and stuff our faces with maple candy and maple syrup on pancakes! We would also pour the maple on the snow and it would turn into taffy. If you live in eastern Ontario I highly suggest checking out Sand Road Maple Farm. Sweet memories for sure!

80 Laura January 29, 2013

Oh my golly. This is a brilliant idea. I’m from Nova Scoia, living in London UK, and this would be the perfect way to have a little piece of home. I too remember going to the maple farms when I was little, and the syrup n the snow was the best deal ever!!! Thanks for all of this:)

81 A farmer in the dell January 29, 2013

This looks so stinking good!!! I miss the amazing maple syrup products from Vermont. We just movedvtonoregon and I feel maple deprived! This recipe is very inspiring!

82 Bre January 29, 2013

Aww it makes me so happy how many Ontarians/Canadians have fond childhood memories of maple syrup…I’m from Ontario as well and this article made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside haha…and craving real maple syrup in any form!! Mmmmm great job Angela :) I’m at work now though so i have to make due with my sunbutter and apple for now :(

83 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health January 29, 2013

I have never made or heard of this before but it sounds delicious! I love that picture of Sketchie, so cute. I feel like I can hear him purring.

84 jaime rubeniuk January 29, 2013

That looks amazing!! We lived in Barrie and Toronto for a little bit when I was little, and I remember visiting a maple tree farm… I too have always had a special place in my heart for those little maple leaf candies! So good :) Can’t wait to try this! :)

85 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 29, 2013

Swoooon! I have indeed tried maple butter – the jar you bought me from Whole Foods!! And I agree, it’s pretty special stuff! Does Canada have a national dish other than poutine? Maybe this should be it!

86 Laura @fivefocus January 29, 2013

I am so excited to try this out this weekend…no need to book my abs and arms class now!

87 Lia @ Sojourning January 29, 2013

I’ve had it before, but I’ve never known how to make it! It is like a buttery melty yummy heavenly amazing thing. Now I know it can be made at home. With assistance. Could it be put into a kitchen aid mixer with the whip attachment?

88 Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 29, 2013

Your maple butter looks magnificent!!
Such lovely pics!:)
I might try the maple cream recipe listed upthread in the comments too
As far as recipes go, I pretty much wanna try vegan maple anything haha

“Have you ever tried maple butter before or made any type of candy at home?”

^ I want to make a couple of things…I keep seeing recipes online for candied lemon peel, which looks great [I like lemon flavored anything] so I want to try that
I also want to make chocolate dipped fruit, like dried apricots dipped in heated melted vegan chocolate chips and then cooled down
The second one is easy, just haven’t gotten around to it yet. The lemon peel candy seems a bit more challenging, but gonna give it a try one of these days :)

89 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 29, 2013

This sounds delicious. I think that it would be absolutely fabulous slathered on warm toast! Yum :).

90 angela January 29, 2013

Do you think it could be stirred in a stand mixer?

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2013

Not sure – i’ve read it can burn out the motor

92 Andrea January 29, 2013

“And by good on oatmeal I mean good on everything.” That says it all :) Looks absolutely delicious.

93 Pat January 29, 2013

Any chance I could let my Kitchen Aid do the stirring for me since I don’t have a fantastic kitchen helper? Or would that cause it to cool too rapidly, if that would even be a problem?

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2013

Im not sure – I’ve read it can burn out the motor.

95 Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) January 29, 2013

I love anything maple – syrup, butter, walnut ice cream, etc. And I have to say, this looks incredibly, disgustingly (in the best way) phenomenal. I think it’d last in my kitchen for a day at best! Therefore I should make TONS.

SO looking forward to trying this!

96 Andrea January 30, 2013

I think I just figured out what I’m going to do on my day off (Thursday!). Who needs to clean the house when I can make a wonderful, glorious, delicious mess in the kitchen?! I do have to admit I’m going to put it in the kitchenaid, though. My kitchenaid is still less than a month old so I pretty much take any and all opportunities I can to use it.

97 Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 30, 2013

Forgot to add, that photo of your cat is gorgeous!!
I love animal pics :)

98 Bek @ Crave January 30, 2013

Um, this looks like so incredible mmmm. I’m sorta glad I’d never heard of maple cream and we don’t have it in Aus- things could get ugly. But now I know how to make it and I just bought a new bottle of pure maply syrup..is this a sign?

99 Lynne January 30, 2013

That looks over the moon delish !!! I can’t wait to give it a try (right after I kick myself for buying it all these years). We buy our maple syrup locally and it is sooooo divine ! I love the maple butter, maple candy and even apple butter. I see that someone else left a comment about apple butter. That would be a great recipe to attempt too ! (now that I am inspired by the maple butter idea !!) thanks for sharing ! Lynne

100 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 30, 2013

What a great workout with a most delicious award at the end!! I have to try this! I love maple syrup and I can only imagine how wonderful maple cream tastes!!!

101 Michelle January 30, 2013

oh yes!!!! We’ve had this in OH, but no way to get it here so far south. And the family business I bought it from doesn’t ship–even to me the daughter of their high school best bud. So we’ve been missing it. It’s on my list for next week. Thank you so much for investigating, trying and mostly for sharing !!!!

102 Lizzie January 30, 2013

Need. right. now! I also remember going to maple farms as a child. My grandfather also tapped maples in his woodlot. Yumm.

103 Kimberly Andresen-Reed January 30, 2013

Yeah, I’m going to half to try this at some point. I’ve also wanted to make maple candy for a while since the stuff that’s already made is so expensive. But I find that I am strangely protective of my maple syrup, using it only for special things and sparingly (like granola), since it’s far and away the most costly item in my pantry.

I, too, get the fear that in these situations, it won’t set up and then I’ll have wasted like 15 bucks of maple syrup.

104 Kelly Zdrowak January 30, 2013

Hey I absolutely love your blog :)

I’m also really interested in healthy eating and living. I found a site: healthyrevelations.wordpress.com. It has a lot of amazing healthy recipes if you’d like to check it out

105 Maria Tadic January 30, 2013

I’m absolutely in love with maple syrup, maple candy or anything else maple flavored. Hands down…making this recipe this weekend!

106 Emily @ MainEats January 30, 2013

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I NEED TO EAT THIS! On absolutely everything! Wow-never heard of this-thanks for bringing it to my attention! Beautiful!

107 Mystery Runner January 30, 2013

YUM! I am running out to the store to make some!

I also wanted to thank you on your post about carrageenan. I had no idea! I had obviously read the label and noticed it but never thought too much about it since I thought that it was simply a thickener. Since replacing all products that contained it, I have noticed a dramatic difference in my stomach upset, who knew??? So, thank you for mentioning it and bringing it to my attention.

108 Steph January 30, 2013

This. Looks. Amazing! What would you suggest putting it on?

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2013

oatmeal, pancakes, muffins…a spoon! :)

110 kimmythevegan January 30, 2013

Mmmmm yummy. That looks dee-licious!
I am a maple syrup freak, I can understand your feelings =)

111 Alex @ Delicious-Knowledge.com January 30, 2013

I’ve never had this before but I just know I will love it. Maple- check. Buttery goodness- double check! I don’t know if I have the patience for stirring something this long, but I will find out! Or bribe my husband!

112 maureen January 30, 2013

Could you use an electric mixer instead of doing it by hand? Would that work?

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2013

I’ve heard it can burn out the motor, so im not sure!

114 maureen January 31, 2013

It seems like my upright Kitchen Aid mixer could withstand the 30 mins. It’s a workhorse. Anyone have one of those?

115 Lindsay January 30, 2013

This makes me hungry, even though I just ate a huge meal. Somehow, there’s always room for maple cream. LOVE those little maple leaf candies!

116 {Moni} @ Moni Meals January 30, 2013

Oh WOW! I have to try this Ang. Never have before! Thanks!! xx

117 sheila January 30, 2013

this looks divine. my mouth is watering just looking at the pictures!

118 Nicole January 30, 2013

Question unrelated to maple butter – where do you buy your nutritional yeast in Ontario? Is there a place you can order from. Does Whole Foods have it?

119 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2013

I buy it from Whole Foods and Fortinos usually :)

120 Melissa January 31, 2013

We used to get those little maple leaf candies when we would drive from Illinois up into Wisconsin for vacation. LOVED them! I found them this Christmas at World Market in Phoenix and bought them for my parents and siblings to bring back those memories- and introduced my own kids to them! yummy! I found Maple Butter at Whole Foods in the baking aisle! I had never had it before. It’s very yummy! I like it on corn bread!
I’m wondering….can you use a Kitchenaid mixer to do the stirring??

121 Ruth January 31, 2013

Oh yes! I grew up on maple syrup, maple candy, etc. since my mom’s workplace had a maple sugaring “sugarbush” every year (she worked at a nature center). And then one day I had maple cream, and it was like I entered another realm.

I recently found some available locally at a farmer’s market, and I definitely made the impulse buy. The stuff I bought separates like nobody’s business, but I don’t mind stirring it a bit to slather it all over…well, let’s be honest…ANYTHING!

122 Lisa January 31, 2013

I am generally not a big fan of sweet spreads, but this looks delicious! And how am I a Canadian that has never even heard of maple butter? I need to try this!!!

123 Jennifer January 31, 2013

Mine didn’t turn out :( I stirred for the entire duration of “Earth Girls Are Easy.” I kept myself going with the thought that you were about to give up, but yours turned out. I’m so sad! It did thicken up and lighten in color, but never got to the peanut butter stage. I used Grade A, and apparently Grade B is supposed to be better. Also, mine boiled over and really freaked me out (should have paid attention when you said not to crank up the heat, and also when she said not to turn your back on it.) Anyways, think I’ll give it another shot soon. Tastes amazing, though.

124 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2013

Aw bummer, sorry it didn’t turn out for you! Yes I’ve heard that different grades can produce different results. Did you use a candy thermometer too?

125 Jennifer February 1, 2013

I did. It had only reached 225 when it started boiling over, but it was such a mess that I didn’t bother letting it get to 235, just transferred it to the bowl early. But I love your pics and descriptions so much. You’ve really made me want to get this right. Thanks for the inspiration.

126 Maria January 31, 2013

Just made this, and it is wonderful! Didn’t really bother to use a thermometer, just placed the pan on the stove, went to watch a little telly, got back into the kitchen and saw that it was boiling. Took the pan of the heat and allowed it the cool a little, before bringing it in the living room. Much easier to stir for 35 minutes (although i don’t think I stirred more than 15) when you are watching Masterchef! :)

Think I accidentally “over”stirred mine, so its not buttery soft, but can be rolled into beautifyl little mapletoffee balls, sooo good-.

127 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2013

Oh wow thats great it worked for you!!! Yes I over stirred mine too….a little heats softens it right up. Its soooo good straight from the fridge though!

128 suzanne January 31, 2013

This looks so good – my boyz LOVE maple cream but it is so pricey I do not buy it often (we live in maple country so some local people make it). It is like gold around here and they fight over who put more on their muffin, bagel or whatever (great on soft pumpkin pretzels!). We are excited to try this recipe – thank you!!!

129 Vanessa January 31, 2013

Yum!!!!

130 Kelly January 31, 2013

Ok, that looks so delicious I have an urge to lick the screen! I am definitely trying this recipe. Thx so much for the gorgeous pictures.

131 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy January 31, 2013

I had no idea you could do this to maple syrup. I am going to try it this weekend. The added arm workout is obviously a big bonus.

132 Shana February 1, 2013

I asked my husband to help me make this and he made disgusted faces at me when I told him how long we had to stir……..then I showed him the picture :) It’s on the agenda for this weekend!

133 Shannon February 1, 2013

My first taste of maple butter was at this little place just outside of Quebec City called Chez Marie. They bake bread daily outside in a brick oven, and for $1.50 you can get a warm slice of freshly baked bread slathered in the house-made maple butter. This is the best place on Earth.

134 Rachel Cope February 3, 2013

Hi! I love this pure maple butter recipe but couldn’t find the button to print it! Can you help me out? Did I miss it in the post? Cheers!!!!

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2013

Hey Rachel, Oh I didn’t type up the recipe because I linked to the original recipe + how to video on ATK. Its near the bottom…hope this helps!

136 Kathy February 4, 2013

We made the maple cream last night after watching the America’s Test Kitchen video and the tips on this page. We live in the mountains, so had to make a correction for elevation (2 degrees F for each 1,000 ft above sea level). The tip to calibrate the candy thermometer was great since ours was off by about 7 degrees from the corrected water boiling point. With all the corrections, we only needed to get to 217 degrees F on our thermometer (no wonder my caramels never came out right!). Anyway, it was a total success and we got the lovely matte tahini color in about 25 minutes of stirring. We might have over-stirred a little since we had trouble pouring it out of the pan into the storage container. It is lovely stuff! It does get hard in the refrigerator, so I’m wondering if it has to be refrigerated with all that sugar? We have found so many great recipes as well as entertaining commentary on this site – thanks so much for sharing your cooking adventures.

137 Andrea February 5, 2013

Hmmmm… Could one use a food processor to do the whipping after it gets up to temperature? It might have to cool slightly first. What do you think?

138 Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen February 5, 2013

Oh my gosh, I had no idea that such a thing existed! This looks heavenly, but will you come over to my house and make it please? I don’t have the patience for such things. Also, your story about growing up and eating maple candies and creating the candy in the snow sounds so magical! I want to come to that now! That’s such an awesome memory!

139 Ann February 7, 2013

Looks wonderful. You’ll forgive me if I skip the steps and just wait for the sap to start running in New Brunswick? Will be adding to my oatmeal repitoire.

140 Melissa February 7, 2013

Thanks for this post, Angela. I made the cream last night and it was wonderful on whole grain pancakes this morning. I tested out my thermometer beforehand as you suggested and tried to compensate for for it’s inaccuracy….I don’t think I got the temperature right because it didn’t become thick and lose it’s gloss even after 45 minutes of stirring, but it is the thickest, most delicious spread on earth nonetheless! I could melt it down and try again, but it won’t last long enough :)

141 Kathy February 11, 2013

We finished off the first batch in a week – my waistline is afraid to make more : ) ! My post above neglected to define that you should SUBTRACT 2 degrees F from the recommended boiling temperature of 235 degrees F for each 1,000 feet you are above sea level. We added the 1/4 teaspoon of oil (to decrease foam) and a pinch of salt too (which did nicely balance the sweet). This really is the best spread on earth!

142 Lindsay February 11, 2013

I ration out the little bit I buy every year… Because I didn’t know you could make it yourself!!!!

This is AMAZING — THANK YOU!!!!

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2013

Enjoy :) I’ve already managed to eat half of my batch! Its dangerous….but seriously makes life worth living!! hah

144 Esther February 17, 2013

I had never heard of maple cream until your post, and you were right! It’s worth the stiff shoulders. I made your pumpkin spiced donuts and slathered the maple cream all over it in an inch thick layer, and it was devine. Thanks so much for the recipe and link! :)

145 Lindsey March 14, 2013

I have seen it in the store, but never tried it. Now that I have read about how it’s made, though, I will have to try it! Thank you!

146 Emily April 10, 2013

This sounds amazing and I could use a good arm workout :)

147 Kal April 11, 2013

I am from Vermont; land of maple syrup and our daughter is graduating from college there in May. We are military currently stationed in Washington D.C. I am making a list of things that we need to buy when in VT for graduation and lo and behold maple cream is high on the list of products that we must bring back along with Cabot bacon cheddar cheese that we can’t find here and many other wonderful maple products. My daughter eats it out of the jar with a spoon and puts her name on said jar (as if anyone having seen her eat from it WOULD).

I have relatives with sugar shacks still and I am going to use some of the syrup we bring back in May to try our “hand” at it! Thanks Angela!

148 Kati April 11, 2013

I am crazy for this idea. Honestly, pure maple is the #1 flavor of anything ever. My question is, does the volume increase? I’m hoping the answer is yes so I can have EVEN MORE MAPLE! Haha thanks for sharing; can’t wait to try this!

149 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2013

No unfortunately not…it decreases a alot! Probably by at least half

150 Krystal April 16, 2013

This looks incredible! I love all things maple but have never even heard of maple butter before. Looking at those pics just makes my mouth water and I can’t wait to make it and put it on everything! Absolutely lovely share! Thank you :)

151 Stephanie Van Ekelenburg July 31, 2013

Can sugar free maple syrup be used and would it be grade a or b? I am so excited to make this! Thanks for sharing!

152 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2013

Hmm…I didn’t even know they made sugar-free maple syrup! I can’t comment on the flavour, but if you try it out let us know how it went.

153 SHEILA CAGGIANO August 28, 2013

Please advise if you have ever used this “cream” as a frosting and what did you add to it. I am following a low glycemic diet and the maple syrup I can have but confectioners sugar I can not have. I am wondering if I added a little cream cheese to this if it would serve as a frosting. What do you think? Or, can you give me some other suggestions. Thank you so much.

154 Kate September 19, 2013

I just had this! We put some goat cheese on crackers with a drizzle of the maple butter. TOTALLY DELISH! I loved the sweetness

155 Megan October 13, 2013

I tried this and within the first 10 minutes of stirring it turned to rock! :( I don’t know what happened but it was such a bummer. I heated it to 235 degrees and then cooled it but it wasn’t quite at 100 degrees when I started stirring only because the video said it should take about 15 minutes but I waited over 20 and it hadn’t reached 100 degrees yet so I didn’t want to wait too long before stirring but I’m wondering if that’s what I did wrong.. I don’t know what else it could be. But I’m so bummed I don’t even know if I want to try it again. :( Would it have been better to wait even longer (probably would have taken about 30 minutes) to make sure it got to 100 degrees before stirring?

156 Micah Millett November 7, 2013

Don’t worry yourself with temperatures just bring it to a boil, Then bring down the heat for 5 mins, then take it off. Once you have removed from the heat start your stirring.

157 Candice November 3, 2013

I am excited to try this. I sometimes treat myself to a jar of maple butter… I just ate a spoonful a few minutes ago. haha
I sat down at the computer and wondered if there are any recipes that use this or a recipe of how to make it. I can’t wait to give this a go… I think I would also like to eat maple butter on my deathbed. And homemade maple butter? Must be incredible!

158 Micah Millett November 7, 2013

Thanks for the recipe , I did this by myself. After boiling for about 6 mins I took off the heat and started stirring in almost like a small whipping motion , Anyways It turned into maple butter after only 11 mins of stirring so I hope everyone doesn’t get discouraged because of the time because it can be done In about 1/3 of the time you used. Its all about creating as many bubbles as you can with movement , Also taste varies in maple butter with the different grades of syrup. Thanks – Micah

159 Laurie December 13, 2013

Nothing like seeing this recipe on the morning of a day off from work (the year end burning of vacation time that I will otherwise lose). This was just added to my day’s agenda…drop kiddo of at school….work out…make maple cream…make oatmeal for breakfast using maple cream. I can’t wait!!!

160 Kristen Williams January 30, 2014

Hi there!

I just stumbled on this post in a Google search for recipes with Maple Cream. I have a jar that I received for Christmas and I have no idea what to do with it. For me, it’s too sweet to eat on toast or anything other breakfast item. Do you happen to have or know of any recipes that call for Maple Cream IN them? I would love some suggestions! This is a great blog BTW.

Thanks so much!
Kristen

161 Natalie killam March 31, 2014

I attempted to make this..it turned into maple sugar

162 Millie April 3, 2014

I have tried this recipe a couple of times now. It always turns to sugar on me. I even got a digital thermometer so I could be more exact. What am I doing wrong?

163 Beth June 30, 2014

Just wondering if anyone has tried any part of this recipe in a Vitamix?

164 DMO July 26, 2014

How long does it last when refrigerated?

165 Melanie October 13, 2014

Can I use my kitchen stand mixer to whip it instead?

166 Suzy January 5, 2015

Is there an actual step-by-step recipe to make this somewhere? I’d love to try it, but can’t find an actual recipe. Help! Thanks!

167 Amy January 17, 2015

Hi, my husband and I got a Vermont Maple Cream as a gift recently and when we opened it today we saw some greyish mold on the liquidy part on the surface of the plastic jar. The sides had some mold too. Is the maple cream still safe to be consumed? Can we heat it up?

168 Irena June 1, 2015

Thanks for sharing this great idea! However I have already tried to make this maple butter twice without success. I’ve followed the instructions exactly and used a candy thermometer to determine the temperature. It seems to me that my maple syrup is weird. Every time I heat it up to 235 F it already becomes similar to a thick very sticky caramel, that is extremly hard to stir. After I’ve been stirring it continuously, it changes its color but gets really really thick and sticky, more like a caramel ball than a spread. When I try it, I can’t taste any cristals and the consistency seems ok, but its just not spreadable. The only thing I think might have made a difference is the maple syrup I’ve used. Has anyone had similar experience? I’ve used grade A maple syrup.

169 Chef Elle June 4, 2015

Can you post the actual recipe? Its hard to find amongst all of the wording. Beautiful cat :)

170 Katherine Taylor November 18, 2015

Where can I find the recipe??? I’ve only found recipes that add real butter and I cannot have butter.

171 Reza @ detoxopedia December 16, 2015

Stirring a very thick syrup for 30 minutes is a freaking hard work! I don’t recommend anyone to go it alone…

172 mamaorganic February 20, 2016

I can’t see the recipe for this???

173 Angela Liddon February 25, 2016

Hi there, I didn’t write a recipe out for the maple butter, just included a link to the America’s Test Kitchen how-to video because they already explain the process so well! Here’s the link (it’s so easy to miss in the post!): http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2012/12/how-to-make-maple-cream/

Hope this helps! :)

174 mamaorganic February 25, 2016

Thank you so much, I can’t wait to make this!!! ?

175 rebecca March 2, 2016

how much syrup for how much butter?
after you reach the 212 temp. what temp. do you bring it down to before the stirring process?
we make our own syrup and would love to try this

176 Angela Liddon March 25, 2016

Hi Rebecca, this link to America’s Test Kitchen gives super helpful, step-by-step directions: http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2012/12/how-to-make-maple-cream/. Good luck and enjoy! :)

177 Tamara March 2, 2016

Maple butter is an incredibly happy memory from my childhood. I would love to have it again!

178 Amanda September 27, 2016

Oh wow, I bet this stuff would be the perfect substitute for marshmallows in rice crispy treats, or my other favorite buckwheat crispy treats!! Thanks for sharing :)

179 Anita Cross November 24, 2016

Love this recipe, turned out perfect, tks. I have a ?. I would love to send a coupole jars to my daughter using UPS. I estimate it would take 3 to 5 days. Would the maple cream stay stabilized that long. If not, any suggestions would be appreciated.

180 Doreen November 24, 2016

It was amaaaazing! Especially on the vegan banana bread :O

It took a bit of time to make (as you had mentioned) but it makes a pretty good quantity that will last a while so it’s definitely worth it!