Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

homemade maple cream maple butter 1451 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

You know when someone asks what you’d want to eat for your last meal? I never know what the heck to say. Umm, everything?! There are really so many foods I adore, such as this maple butter. To be honest, I’d love nothing more than a huge vat of maple butter on my death bed. Ok, and maybe some homemade almond milk to wash it down. I’d kindly ask someone to feed it to me with a big wooden spoon and I wouldn’t even worry about ruining my appetite or splitting my pants. What a glorious way to kick the bucket.

I’ve wanted to make maple butter since I had my first visit to a maple farm as a little girl. They sent us home with maple leaf candy (the start of a lifelong obsession) and I’d watch in awe with my classmates as the adults showed us huge pots of boiling syrup in the chilly Canadian outdoors. The best part was when they’d throw syrup onto the snow and it turned into big chunks of maple candy for us to eat. Us kids, of course, thought that was magic. Even though I was very young, this experience instilled a warm curiosity about food from nature and an interest in making things from scratch.

In case some of you aren’t familiar, maple butter (or maple cream) is pure maple syrup that has been boiled to a certain temperature, left to decrease in temperature, and then whipped/stirred like crazy for a good 30-35 minutes. This technique is hard-freaking-work, but I certainly don’t regret making it. I was thankful though that Eric helped me with the stirring. Every 5 minutes we’d switch so one person could rest and watch the other moan and complain about how long it was taking. Ok, ok, it was more like a 7 minute to 3 minute split, but who’s counting?

homemade maple cream maple butter 1422 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

Twenty-five minutes into the 35-minute marathon stirring session, self-doubt crept in. I was sure that it wasn’t brought to the right temperature or we didn’t use the right grade of maple syrup.

Eric, as always, shows me why I shouldn’t give up so easily. Not just with cooking, but with everything in life.

“Oh it will work, keep the faith.”

Of course he was right.

Right before my eyes, the shiny amber candy turned into a beautiful tan matte butter. It was the most rewarding, magical thing.

homemade maple cream maple butter 1425 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!) homemade maple cream maple butter 1424 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

And then I got to lick the wooden spoon! And then scrape the pot! Suddenly, I forgot all about my tired, weary arms. I could now climb mountains.

homemade maple cream maple butter 1439 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

Then we had it on muffins. Needless to say, it’s “hidden” in the back of the fridge where I will obviously discover it multiple times per day just by coincidence. Did I mention it’s good on oatmeal? And by good on oatmeal I mean good on everything.

maple cream maple butter 1497 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

Anyway, there’s no need for me to re-write the recipe today. I’m not reinventing the wheel, just using a technique that has been explained wonderfully elsewhere. America’s Test Kitchen has a video and step-by-step photos on their site and it helped me a lot. You can find the directions here.

The only thing I would add to their directions is to test your candy thermometre before you start. Just bring a pot of water to a boil and make sure that your thermometre reads about 212 F (the boiling point of water). Once you know it’s working properly, you can proceed with confidence. Oh and it’s also worth mentioning that you shouldn’t have any kids or pets around when making this. The syrup is extremely hot and dangerous so be careful. My last tip is to increase the heat fairly gradually from the start. I, of course, cranked the burner heat to MAX and it nearly boiled over sending me into a panicked frenzy (as if I wasn’t already). I’m sure the next time will go much more smoothly now that I know what to expect.

One more thing. Sketchie says hi. ….and stop bugging me when I sleep.

sketchie 1377 thumb   Pure Maple Butter (also known as maple cream or the best spread on earth!)

Have you ever tried maple butter before or made any type of candy at home?

Miche January 29, 2013

Thanks for sharing — I have never heard of this before, but it sounds amazing. It’s going on my list of things I must make eventually (quite the long list now…). I just made your lasagna will basil cashew cheeze last night, and it was wonderful!

My corgi pups say hello to Sketchie! :)

Miche January 29, 2013

Oops, I need to learn to check my spelling before getting so excited about replying.. *with not will!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

I hear you on the long list! hah. Glad you enjoyed the lasagna :)

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} January 29, 2013

This looks to die for! I love following America’s Test Kitchen recipes… although with this one I would probably still be unsure! I’ll be trying this as soon as I can convince my boyfriend to do half the work :)

Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day January 29, 2013

Oh good lord this looks amazing! I’m the same way, I can never answer that “last meal” question, how could you ever choose!?? There’s this famous pancake parlor in the town I’m from in New Hampshire and the table is full of maple syrup, maple butter, maple sugar, everything! I always slather up some coconut pancakes with the maple butter…pure heaven :) Never thought to make it myself, great post!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

oh wow, that sounds lovely. Now I have to make pancakes this week :)

Katie January 29, 2013

This may be a stupid question, but can this maple butter be used in the place of butter or Earth Balance in recipes? Or is it mostly used for spreading?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

gosh im really not sure…it’s super sweet so you’d also have to reduce the sweetener. I do want to try it in a baked good so I will report back if I do.

Mary Kate January 29, 2013

Polly’s Pancake Parlor? Yeah, that’s where I’ve had it, too. And it’s AMAZING (so is the maple pepper they sell — http://maplepepper.com/).

It’s 9 pm, and I’m not hungry, but I could decimate a plate of pancakes now.

Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day January 31, 2013

YES, Mary Kate! That’s the place! I’ve never had the maple pepper but that sounds amazing! I always feel like I want to die when I leave but its worth it :)

Aislinn September 11, 2013

Parker’s Maple Barn?

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay January 29, 2013

THAT. looks. ABSOLUTELY. DELICIOUS!

I am making this asap. It’s now #1 on my to-make list. Beautiful pictures too btw :)

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh January 29, 2013

This looks like something that could get me in a lot of trouble. Delicious, finger lickin’ trouble. But all of the stirring counteracts the calorie consumption though, right? RIGHT!?!? :D Actually, it makes me want to make this and strap on my heart rate monitor. Aww man, see what you did!

Cook Snap Savour January 29, 2013

Oh that looks fantastic!!!! I should find something on TV to watch while I stir :)

Jess January 29, 2013

I want to jump into that jar of maple cream!! I LOVE maple sugar candy. And maple syrup. I will definitely try this one! Yum!!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 29, 2013

Wow. That is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. Now that I know this exists I don’t know that I can live without it!

Daisy January 29, 2013

Oh dear, I’m in trouble now. I got some little jars of pure maple butter for Christmas. I haven’t been spreading it on anything, just taking little scoops here and there. It’s so darn good. I hadn’t thought to see if I could actually make some and now that I know that I can, my maple syrup stock is in trouble, too. ;)

Jess January 29, 2013

Looks amazing! Do you think it’d be possible to mix with a stand mixer, instead of by hand?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Hi Jess, I’ve heard it can burn out the motor? But im really not sure if a stand mixer would work or not! I’d be a bit scared to try. Maybe if someone has tried it they can let us know. :)

Shannon January 29, 2013

I’ve done it in my stand mixer, no problem! Delicious on sweet potato cinnamon rolls :)

Jess February 1, 2013

Thanks, Shannon and Angela. Looking forward to trying it.

Owen February 20, 2014

I just made this with a hand-held electric mixer. The entire process took about 20 minutes. Not only was I able to complete this project without straining my shapely biceps, but I was able to utilize my left hand to text back sarcastic responses to craigslist scammers attempting to buy my bicycle from Nigeria via paypal.
I am a genius.

Owen February 22, 2014

Update: My impetuous proclamations of victory were a bit premature. The maple crème was slightly thinner than a peanut-butter-like consistency for two days. It has now started to return to thinner maple syrup. Unless this is normal, then the electric mixer technique is flawed.
The lesson I take away from this is: eat it all within two days.

Willow January 29, 2013

I adore maple butter! I’ve never made it myself, though… I’ll have to check out that America’s Test Kitchen Video. You’ve inspired me!

Ashley January 29, 2013

I tried maple butter for the first time last year at Seattle’s Public Market, in this tiny crumpet shop. I’d never had a crumpet before either, so I stopped in and asked what the favorite was. It was a crumpet with maple butter, a bit of cream cheese, and walnuts. It was the best thing I think I’ve ever tasted! I’ve been wanting to recreate it ever since, so now might just be the time!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan January 29, 2013

Ohhh my oh my, look at that creamy deliciousness!

Sarah @ Yogi in Action January 29, 2013

Wow- that looks absolutely delicious. The 35 minutes of stirring makes it less likely that I will make it. Though the delicious pictures of it does make me want to…. decisions, decisions!

Shundara@ SavyNaturalista January 29, 2013

I will just take the whole jar thank you.. It reminds me of praline candy I tried to make and burned the the pot and spoon.. Did you use a candy thermometer to make this cream?

Marie Westmeyer January 29, 2013

Looks good but I don’t see directions. What temperature do you bring it up to? For how long? And what temp must it cool to before you start whipping it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Hi Marie, please see the bottom of the post where I linked to the directions.

Lauren January 29, 2013

What a neat recipe! It’s amazing how the composition of food changes with heat. I’ve taken apple juice and put it to heat to make an apple ‘honey’, which I use in a lot of recipes.

The maple butter looks delicious, but that muffin you spread it on looks even better! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Omg I want to try that out! Is it on your blog?

donnacrews June 16, 2013

I make the Apple reduction sauce all the time. you don’t need a recipe–just pour apple juice into a pot and stir it over medium to low heat until it’s thick and syrupy. that’s all there is to it. you can store it in the freezer and use it whenever you like later.

tayspoon January 29, 2013

Ohhh-Emmm-Geeee!! this brings me back to my childhood, when i would spend my summers with my grandma in Montreal. She always had a can of Map-O-Spread. I would put it on my toast every morning. that or nutella lol thanks for sharing!! i puffy heart you!!

Alex @ Raw Recovery January 29, 2013

That looks really good! I got my sister some rum butter from London and it looks very much the same. I haven’t tried it though!

Anne January 29, 2013

It looks amazing. I am super scared to try it.. but I will just have to. Since I found your blog I am eating the baked oatmeal in a jar every morning in school for breakfast ( i am a HS study hall teacher) and the students think it looks amazing and are always asking me to bring more. Completely different reactions to my green monsters I drink in class every once in a while too :) Love all your soups and OMG specially the revised meat loaf.. yumm!! a LUNCH favorite! I got a question for you.. my hubby and me are right now rethinking our life plans and he is applying for a couple of different railroad jobs and locations.. well anyways.. some of them in Canada. Where is a great place to live there? Do you have any favorites? And don’t feel like you have to answer.. I know you are a busy bee! but thanks if you do!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2013

Oh gosh that is so hard to answer because it depends on so many factors…cost of living, what type of city you like (large/urban vs outskirts/country) etc etc. if you are an urban girl try Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver (however they are expensive as most big cities can be). I’ve lived in NB and ON so I certainly can’t comment on all of Canada -there are so many great places to live in this country! My favourite place I’ve lived so far would be where I am now in Oakville – close to Toronto but still has a small city feel to it. If you want a real laid back vibe, down to earth people, and good housing prices, look into the east coast.

Anne January 31, 2013

thank you so much!!! yeah i definitely would prefer a small town feeling and some down to earth people.. but close to a big city as well! we will see what life brings! :)

Thea January 29, 2013

Would you refrigerate or leave jar at room temp?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

I keep it in the fridge, but not sure if it can be left at room temp too. It hardens when chilled but will soften when heated.

Tanya @ playful and hungry January 29, 2013

Let’s go with “The best spread on planet earth”.
This looks so good! =)

Lisa January 29, 2013

This looks incredible- as do the muffins and both are making me hungry!

Stacy January 29, 2013

We can make this at home??!! I had no idea! I always buy it from the maple syrup place I visit. Mmmmm maple cream, soooo good.

Chloe January 29, 2013

Looks delicious but I think I’ll continue to buy it at the market. :)

What I should really be trying my hand at (and taking turns stirring brought back to mind) is a vegan version of sucre à la crème. The French Canadian fudge you’ve also probably eaten before.

The original recipe is real cream, sugar and brown sugar, brought to 236 gently, slowly cooled to 110 then stirred like crazy until it turns but not too much or it’ll separate. It’s the creamiest thing ever. A vegan version would entail some serious kitchen chemistry (or magic).

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

I’ve wanted to make that forever now…I’ll have to give it a shot. I’m thinking coconut milk cream to sub for the dairy cream.

Mélanie January 30, 2013

Ok now i’m going to have to try my aunt’s sucre à crème recipe with coconut milk! Being French Canadian I think maple runs in my veins from my upbringing! Nothing beats going to the ‘Cabana à sucre’ and stuffing your face with foods slathered in maple products :D

I’ve got such a notorious sweet tooth that my aunt sends along maple butter each year with my maple syrup order. It keeps wonderfully in the freezer so buy/make batches and then your set for the year!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition January 29, 2013

I had some of this for the first time when I was in Mount Tremblant with my family! So delicious! So sweet though (which is a good thing!) because I don’t devour it all

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 29, 2013

Wow that looks absolutely decadent! I am sure its incredible on crunchy toast or warm oatmeal!

Katherine January 29, 2013

Ohh, my first thought was to dip pretzels into this for an insane salty/sweet combo. YUM

Sarah January 29, 2013

Was that Mountsberg, by chance, that you visited as a kid? I’m from Milton and we had field trips there every year. It was the best! Man. I love Canada.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Gosh I don’t remember, I’ll have to find out! I want to go back :)

Danielle @ Two Love Birds January 29, 2013

I’ve never heard of Maple Butter but this looks and sounds amazing!

Mary January 29, 2013

Wow that looks delicious! I’ve made candy before in a cooking class in college. I remember being extremely stressed out about the candy thermometer and the teacher telling us to be exact. Hard ball, soft ball, too many options! We made caramels and they turned out okay, but this looks better!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

I still don’t know what the heck those terms mean. I just went by the temperature and it worked like a charm! I technically think it was “soft ball” stage though, lol

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 29, 2013

This looks so, so, delicious!!

Herbivore Triathlete January 29, 2013

I remember going to Ontario in the summers as a kid and loving the maple candy. It was a special treat and melt-in-your mouth delicious. This looks worth every minute of stirring and arm pain!

Averie @ Averie Cooks January 29, 2013

I blogged about that maple cream from ATK 2 weeks ago! When I saw their images, I fell in love with the creaminess! And seeing yours, wow, whoa, amazing. I want to dig in. I would buy this stuff off you. I know I can make my own but yours just looks so inviting! :)

Dutchgirlsam January 29, 2013

Oooh, that looks rediculously tasty. I’ve never heard of maple butter before, but I would love to give this recipe a try. Unfortunately maple syrup is quite expensive over here (and you can’t find it in the local super market), so I use it thoughtfully. Maybe I just make a small batch.

I really enjoy your lovely photo’s, your funny stories and your (for me) new recipes. Thank you so mutch for that, I apreciate it :).

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Thank you Sam, I appreciate it! :) I would totally make this for you if you are ever visiting Canada. :)

Kathryn January 29, 2013

“Wow your arms are in such great shape – you must work out!”
“No, I just make maple butter.”

This sounds so good, and so exhausting ! Is it reeeeeealllly worth it? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

hahah that needs to be in a cartoon!

Is it really worth it? I say yes and the husband says no (unless I could figure out how to make it in my stand mixer). He did most of the stirring though so that doesn’t surprise me. ;) He is also not a big candy fan whereas I am!

Kari@Loaves n Dishes January 29, 2013

Growing up I loved to put creamed honey on my toast. We never had maple syrup growing up, but it’s all I use now. I’m certain that I would adore this creamy maple butter on toast, scones, English muffins, pancakes…!

Joslyn January 29, 2013

yuuuum!! This looks like an amazing treat….but 35min?? I dont know….after all that work i would have to hide it from my boys and hubby!!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats January 29, 2013

Once a year around here there is “Maple Syrup Sunday” I always stock up on Maple Butter..its to DIE FOR! I totally agree that it is seriously one of the best spreads on earth!

It’s my happy place :)

Megan @ The Detoxinista January 29, 2013

The first time I made my homemade Butterfingers, the maple syrup totally boiled over! So scary! (And messy.) Candy-making is a pain, but the results are so worth it in the end, that I am totally going to try making this soon. Now, if I can just convince my husband to share the stirring duties with me! I’m tempted to see if my food processor could handle the “stirring” for me… ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

I think I remember reading that on your blog! That would be horrible!!! Its bad enough boiling over water. hah. Be careful with your processor, I’ve read it can burn out the motor since it’s so thick.

Page 1 of 3123»