Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

hasselback apple 7484 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

Once upon a time there was a girl who liked to eat.

This girl loves potatoes, especially Hasselback potatoes. One day last fall, she got an idea to make Hasselback baked apples.

She had a feeling this would be the Greatest Dessert She’d Ever Made.

hasselback apple 7488 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

So she grabbed a couple apples, sharpened her knives, and got to work tediously slicing the apples, row by row.

Her husband looked on, skeptical.

You’ll see, she said. And then you’ll be sorry when I don’t give you any.

hasselback apple 7492 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

I’m sure I will.

After a few four letter words and near finger removals, she dusted herself off and stuffed the apples with sugar and cinnamon.

This was not fun, not fun at all.

hasselback apple 7495 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

She carefully placed the apples in the oven and waited ever so patiently for the timer to beep.

Beep!! BEEP! BEEP!!!!

hasselback baked apples 1392 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

Your apples are dead.

Beep indeed.

Not one to be easily defeated, she tested a couple different kinds of apples. The apples were very hit and miss, but most importantly, they did no justice to these wonderful apples at the peak of their lives. Especially this one that she stuffed with phyllo dough. Her vision was Hasselback apple pie, but the outcome was a half cooked apple stuffed with soggy plastic sheets.

hasselback apple 7497 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

It’s best we pretend this never happened.

It’s torture that I can’t have any of those; I just love apple pie, her husband smirked.

Grrrr.

Thankfully, this girl has rid herself of any desire to make Hasselback Apples in the future. She can now be found enjoying raw apples straight from the fridge.

Also, Hasselback potatoes straight from the oven.

hasselback potatoes 1405 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

Hasselback Potatoes

Email, text, or print this recipe

Ingredients:

• Russet (baking) potatoes or Yukon Gold (or whichever type you desire)
  • Garlic cloves, thinly sliced into rounds (1 clove per potato)
  • High heat safe cooking oil, for drizzling
  • Herbamare or fine grain sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425F.

2. Wash potatoes and pat dry.

3. Thinly slice the potatoes, but don’t slice all the way through. I leave about 1-2cm or so at the bottoms un-cut.

4. Grab your thinly sliced garlic and stuff each slice with a small piece of garlic. I used 1 clove per potato. Stuffing with garlic helps expand the potato allowing the oil to drizzle right in.

5. Drizzle all over with oil. Sprinkle generously with Herbamare (or fine grain sea salt) and freshly ground black pepper.

6. Bake at 425F for 50-70 minutes until tender, depending on the size of your potato. My Russets took about 70 minutes. When I use Yukon Gold, they only take about 50 minutes. Keep an eye on them, time will vary.

7. Serve with any desired topping you wish – pesto, salsa, vegan sour cream, hummus, ketchup, or simply enjoy with a pat of non-dairy butter.

hasselback potatoes 1403 thumb   Hasselback Potatoes and Hasselback Apples –The Show Down

Bre January 28, 2013

High heat safe oils are ones like coconut oil, grapeseed oil…i think walnut oil is medium high heat or something odd like that. I normally buy Spectrum organic brand (in Ontario, Canada) and i have found this brand along with some others list on the label what type of heat the oil is best suited for. Hope this helps!

lea January 28, 2013

First…I have no intention of trying to make the hasselback apples…however …do you think putting each individual apple in a muffin tin would have worked??…..

Kristina @Run and Assimilate January 28, 2013

My mom used to make potatoes like that all the time when I was younger. I loved them but have completely forgotten about them up until now. I know what’s going to be in my dinner soon!

Kristin January 28, 2013

This post had me cracking up! I’m sorry your apples didn’t turn out – but they were good for a laugh. I haven’t had potatoes like this in over 20 years. Back then we used to wrap them in foil before cooking. Maybe if you wrapped the apples? Thanks for the chuckle.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 28, 2013

These look SO good! Thanks so much for sharing such a simple, yet creative recipe :).

laura January 28, 2013

I’ve always much rather enjoyed apples in their crisp, raw, natural form.
Potatoes on the other hand… :)

Sarah January 28, 2013

Oh my goodness – I was so rooting for you! So sorry it didn’t work out; I’m sure they would have been delicious. (I also might have just eaten the mush with a spoon if I were you!) Just getting started in my new vegan lifestyle, and I’m excited to try some of your yummy recipes. Thanks for all the info!

xxsarahperry.com

Nat @ The Apple Diaries January 28, 2013

Yum, those potatoes look delish! I’ve become slightly addicted to homemade pesto potatoes but I can’t wait to try this recipe for something a bit different.

Ellen January 28, 2013

I love this story. It’s so frustrating when you get a vision of something that should be genius…but doesn’t quite work.
Hasselback potatoes are a pretty spiffy consolation relationship though.

Chelsea (Eat With Chelsea) January 29, 2013

I never knew these were called Hasselback potatoes but I made them once for a brunch after seeing them on an episode of Barefoot Contessa. I sprinkled on some fresh thyme to give them some extra zip :)

I also didn’t know what to call them so I just called them “Chipped Potatoes”….since the slices looked kind of like potato chips.

gourmande January 29, 2013

Ah the apples looked promising, I didn’t want to see them transformed into potatoes… I’m sure you’ll arrange that. Your post made me think and I baked one to confirm my hypothesis, One is you didn’t use the ideal type of apple for baking, another is it can only go softer, so there must be some kind of support… Well, I’ve obtained a “lampion apple” and I’ve just posted it. Mine was delicious. I think the Hasselback cut could work on a tartlet base or in a paper case. Thanks for the idea, You always find original dishes. .

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 29, 2013

Hasselback apples sound like such a good idea! That’s too bad they didn’t work out. I’m sure there must be a way to do it though…

Anu January 29, 2013

thank you for showing your misses as well as your hits. Very brave of you and very heartening for the rest of us. Love your blog! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 29, 2013

LOVE the Hasselback apples!!! They both look good, but I’d take the apple! Yummy!!

Hawley January 29, 2013

Awww hahaha it was a great sounding idea, even though it didn’t work. Shucks! I hate when I have high hopes and great vision for a dish or dessert and it backfires so badly. Like when I made portobello mushroom burgers as the focus in a whole complete meal, and then the pyrex I had them in shattered as I was taking them out of the oven! Such a bummer.

Those potatoes look amazing, though. I’ve never had hasselback potatoes. My husband is an avid potato chip fanatic so I’m quite sure he’d adore them!

Tanya @ playful and hungry January 29, 2013

Haha… I so enjoyed your report of the hassleback apples! Thanks for sharing that story, honestly!

Tammy S. January 29, 2013

Should you just stick the potatoes right in the oven on a cookie sheet or wrap in aluminum foil?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Good question – I just popped them onto a baking sheet, nothing else.

dhbg January 29, 2013

Hi Angela – I’ve read your blog for ages, but never commented before. Today I had to, though. I was looking at this post on my phone, half-asleep this AM, and I thought “Hasselback” was the same as “Hasselhoff” – as in David Hasselhoff, star of the series Bay Watch back in the day. I was reading and reading, looking at apples and potatoes, waiting to see how the actor related to the recipe – like perhaps you named it that because you once shared the recipe at a meal with him or something. DUH! I felt so silly when I woke up about twenty minutes later and realized the error. What a space cadet I can be. Anyhow, thought you might chuckle about it too. That aside, the potatoes DO look awesome. I may try this sometime when I have company to impress… you know, maybe David Hasselhoff…. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2013

hah!!! Well, you aren’t the only one who thinks of him :)

Mollie @ treasure your being January 29, 2013

Big points for trying though! Worst part is, I’m sure all those recipes still tasted delicious, they just didn’t have the visual appeal (I don’t know about you, but that’s one of my favorite things about hasselback potatoes).

catriona January 30, 2013

I’ve always used a wooden spoon to not cut all the way through the potatoes.

Lindsay January 30, 2013

Ahahahaha! I love that you’re so candid about flop recipes. LOL. Really, though, the hasselback apples look yummy to me too. I have photographed many a flop recipe but just haven’t thought of a good way to showcase the pictures on my blog. You made this one shine. LOVE it.

{Moni} @ Moni Meals January 30, 2013

I will take one of both please. Thanks! Looks great Ang. :)

Lisa January 31, 2013

The un-baked apples look amazing! I bet they would have even tasted great just like that. I wonder if wrapping them individually in foil would help so that they don’t fall apart?

veronica February 2, 2013

i thought those apples looked really delicious, and i thought, what if you try putting toothpicks or shishkebob (that is the most amazing word) sticks into the apples to hold them together while they cook? i havent tried it myself yet, bu thought i would share a possible solution:)

Lori February 5, 2013

Looks yummy! A great way to slice potatoe’s like this is to lay a wooden spoon on either side of the potatoe. And then slice all the way down to the wooden spoons. The spoons prevent you from accidentally slicing all the way through. I love these! Great website!

Kellie February 6, 2013

oooh, I’m going to try a hybrid version of your apple/potato idea and do sweet potatoes with coconut oil, cin and sugar…yuuum!!

Nadine March 25, 2013

I wonder i the apples would work if you wrapped them in foil before baking try baking the philo dough first.

Marielle June 11, 2013

Maybe if you wrapped the apples in foil (with a hole on the top for steam and one on the bottom for juices) and baked them at a really low temperature?

JB September 5, 2013

This really made me giggle, I love hasselback potatoes but I like that you went to the effort of trying to do the apples so I don’t have to!!

Stef March 1, 2014

Had to leave a comment because I love that you tried the apples even if it was a big bust. I’m so glad you shared!

Page 2 of 2«12