My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

homemade almond milk 0986 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

I first tried making homemade almond milk a couple years ago, after many of you told me so many amazing things about it. It’s so creamy! It’s better than store bought! It’s a cinch to make! Homemade almond milk is the best!

And you know what? My first couple tries didn’t exactly knock it out of the park. Two words come to mind: hot mess! I used a cheesecloth and things didn’t go very smoothly, if you catch my drift. I’m sure some of you have a lot more finesse with a cheesecloth, but I did not seem to be one of those people.

This time, I finally took the plunge and purchased a nut milk bag (feel free to giggle). Also called sprouting bags, these mesh straining bags make homemade nut and seed milks (among other things) a total breeze. I cannot wait to explore its many uses.

homemade almond milk 0951 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

This time around, my almond milk making process was indeed a breeze.

Here are some step by step photos to show you my process. You should also know that every time I type “step by step” NKOTB starts playing in my head. I don’t even mind it.

We are going to soak a cup of raw almonds overnight or for 8 hours or longer. Sometimes if I’m in a time crunch I just soak them for 1 hour or so and it still turns out fine. Rinse and drain the almonds and pop them into your blender along with 3-4 cups of filtered water (I like 3.5 cups water in this recipe).

homemade almond milk 0870 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos homemade almond milk 0872 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

Which nuts do you think your body would rather digest – the dry, hard as a rock nuts or the plump, juicy nuts?

soaked almonds vs dry almonds 4009 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

Sorry, that sounded all weird and awkward.

My favourite flavour combo is a whole vanilla bean, a couple Medjool dates, cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Oh my lanta. It’s intensely vanilla flavoured with notes of caramel and cinnamon. The secret to an intense vanilla flavour is blending an entire vanilla bean. Just chop it up and toss the whole bean into the blender. You’ll be left with some amazing vanilla almond milk. Of course you can always use vanilla extract or liquid sweeteners too. If using the dates and/or vanilla bean, add them along with the almonds and water. If you simply want to add a liquid sweetener or vanilla extract, you can add them now or at the end. Your call.

Blend for 1 minute on the highest speed. Let’s go TURBO mode!!!!

homemade almond milk 0960 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos homemade almond milk 0961 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photoshomemade almond milk 0964   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos homemade almond milk 0968   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

Turbo mode scares me.

Place your bag over a large bowl and slowly pour in the milk. Thank you Eric for moonlighting as a hand model once again.

homemade almond milk 0970   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos homemade almond milk 0972   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

A lot of the milk will filter right through the bag without any effort.

homemade almond milk 0974   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

But to get all of the milk out, you’ll need to do some gentle squeezing to encourage the milk through. This process took me a few minutes. As you can see in the photo on the right, I was left with about 1 cup of almond pulp.

homemade almond milk 0977   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos homemade almond milk 0978   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

I rinsed the blender out quickly and poured the milk back into the blender. I do this because I find it easier to pour the milk from the blender into the jar rather than from a large bowl into the jar. If you have a wide mouth funnel feel free to use that.

Check out those tiny specks of vanilla! I blended in a bit of cinnamon and a pinch of fine grain sea salt for even more flavour enhancing. Tell me, what’s better than Vanilla Cinnamon Caramel flavour?

homemade almond milk 0980 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

Nothing.

You can use the almond pulp for all kinds of things like oatmeal, hummus, homemade granola, smoothies, cookie or muffin batter, crackers, or you can even dehydrate it and then blend it up to make almond meal. Oh, and you can freeze it too.

homemade almond milk 0992 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

Man oh man, it tasted so lovely straight from the blender. I can assure you, it gets even better as it chills in the fridge.

homemade almond milk 0988 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

I’ve never been a big milk drinker, but this almond milk had me going back to the fridge again and again and again for little sips. I can’t promise I’m organized enough to make this on a regular basis, but it’s a fun option to have up my sleeve when I’m feeling motivated or just want a special treat.

homemade almond milk 0031 thumb2   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

Homemade Vanilla Cinnamon Almond Milk

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

4.9 from 14 reviews
print icon   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

Creamy, lightly sweet, and so satisfying - homemade almond milk is a true luxury! My favourite flavour combo is a whole vanilla bean, a couple Medjool dates, cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Oh my lanta. It’s intensely vanilla flavoured with notes of caramel and cinnamon. The secret to an intense vanilla flavour is blending an entire vanilla bean. Just chop it up and toss the whole bean into the blender. Not to worry if you don't have one on hand though; a half a teaspoon of vanilla extract will work just fine. I recommend this nut milk bag for straining.

Yield
3.5 cups
Prep Time
Cook time
0 Minutes
Total Time

Ingredients:

• 1 cup raw almonds, soaked in water
  • 3.5 cups filtered water
  • 2-4 pitted Medjool dates*, to taste (I used 2 large)
  • 1 whole vanilla bean*, chopped (or 1/2-1 tsp vanilla extract)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • small pinch of fine grain sea salt, to enhance the flavour

Directions:

1. Place almonds in a bowl and cover with water. It’s preferred to soak them overnight (for 8-12 hours) in the water, but you can get away with soaking for 1-2 hours in a pinch.
  2. Rinse and drain the almonds and place into a blender along with filtered water, pitted dates, and chopped vanilla bean.
  3. Blend on highest speed for 1 minute or so.
  4. Place a nut milk bag over a large bowl and slowly pour the almond milk mixture into the bag. Gently squeeze the bottom of the bag to release the milk. This took me about 3-5 minutes to get all the milk out.
  5. Rinse out blender and pour the milk back in. Add the cinnamon and pinch of sea salt and blend on low to combine.
  6. Pour into a glass jar to store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. Shake jar very well before using as the mixture separates when sitting. Enjoy with Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies for a real treat. This milk is also lovely with cereal.

Notes: If your dates or vanilla bean are dry/stiff, soak in water to soften before use. You can also use another sweetener of your choice like maple syrup. Same goes for vanilla – feel free to use vanilla extract for a more subtle vanilla flavour.

homemade almond milk 0875 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos homemade almond milk 0877 thumb   My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By Step Photos

You might be wondering – If I don’t have a nut milk bag can I use a fine mesh sieve? Yes you can. I did a trial using my sieve. I didn’t find the milk got as smooth compared to using a nut milk bag, but if you strain it several times, it comes out decent. Also, feel free to try a cheesecloth, but I’m definitely not the person to give you advice using that method.

What about the cost?

Homemade almond milk can be cheaper than store bought or it can be more expensive; it really depends on your ingredients. When I see bulk almonds on sale, I like to stock up and buy a big bag. Pop a bag in the freezer to ensure they stay fresh.

To avoid almonds sprayed with the chemical propylene oxide, please see this article and this handy guide to common brands that do and do not use the chemical. If you are concerned about propylene oxide on your almonds be sure to check with your almond retailer to see what sterilization method is used.

Have you ever made homemade almond milk before?

Where do you buy almonds? Any good deals out there in store or online?

Lisa January 24, 2013

This is amazing! I’ve been waiting for a post on this. We’re getting a hand-me-down Vitamix and I’m so excited to try this. What deters me from normal almond milk are all the additives/ stabilizers, etc… while I’m sure they’re safe, pure almond milk sounds like the perfect drink.

joe September 16, 2013

When u get your next habd me down can u hand yours down to me? (one can hope )

Joanna January 24, 2013

What a great tutorial. I dont drink almond milk due to allergies but still enjoyed it. What I loved about this post is the difference between the soaked and dried almonds. I used to think it didn’t make a big difference but when you put up a visual- WOW is all I can. I will be soaking my nuts from now on. On a side note- I love the bowl in the pics. Where is it from?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2013

Glad you enjoyed the post! It’s funny I actually prefer the taste of the soaked almonds now. They grew on me. The bowl is part of a set from Crate & Barrel a couple years ago. I think they come out with new colours every so often.

Denise March 14, 2013

Crate & Barrel Parker Bowls, Love them. I use them all the time for prep and for serving.

Dale October 17, 2013

I read somewhere that soaked nuts were better for our digestions. So when you soak them for the milk you also eat them like that? Can they be kept after soaking to eat as a snack. thanks

jen January 23, 2014

What I’ve always done is bake in the oven at the lowest temp setting for the entire day (or overnight) after soaking. Ideally use a food dehydrator. They get crisp and are soo good. You can also sprinkle seasonings/salt on the wet almonds before baking and it sticks to them.

kristle January 24, 2013

your photos are beautiful, angela. when i make almond milk, i use cheesecloth over my sieve, and yes it is a hot mess. where did you get your nutmilk bag from? i usually don’t add anything to flavor my milks, as i just use them for making oatmeal mostly, never drinking straight.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2013

I can’t remember the store name, but I will go look it up and get back to you!

Jen P January 24, 2013

I too would love to know which bag you purchased.
I also used the cheesecloth and what a mess!
Can’t wait to try a nut bag!

Martha October 6, 2014

Amazon.com for the nut bag..

ayelen January 24, 2013

do you think you could make a nut bag by sewing up a cheesecloth in that shape?
seems like it would be easy enough. anyone have any experience with this?

Kansas April 12, 2013

I used a sheer curtain and made up two of them. I bought the material at a thrift store, $9.99 and I have enough to make probably 20! I made up a paper template to reuse. Mine were 10 inches across with a rounded bottom (use a large pot lid to trace the roundness) and 13 inches high with a small hem/cuff at the top and a loop on one side. Instead of a loop you can insert elastic or drawstrings. Works perfect as a nut bag as well as draining yogurt. The first couple I made I just used old polyester material and sewed up a rectangle, they worked great but took a bit to dry.

Suzanne January 25, 2013

you can buy one at nutsonline also

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2013

I purchased it from a store in St. Catharines called Truly Organic Foods: http://www.trulyorganicfoods.com/nut-milk-bags.php

kristle January 24, 2013

thanks. when i lift my cheese cloth up and twist it to “milk” it more, sometimes it tears and squirts out pulpy milk in any directions!

Lia January 25, 2013

I’ve used “paint strainer bags” from the hardware store for this – after a good wash. They’re virtually identical and, upon googling, it seems like a common choice for similar food projects.

And thanks for the great post, Angela. I’d love to see some recipes for what to do with leftover almond meal. I find mine 6 months later building its own igloo in the freezer more often than not…

Jenn April 30, 2013

My husband throws them in his smoothies :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 25, 2013

hah that’s exactly what happened to me!!!

Patricia March 24, 2013

I also used a cheese cloth the first time I made it, and it was a disaster. I just finished making Almond Milk for the 2nd time, but this time I used “knee high panty hose/nylons” and it worked GREAT. Absolutely no pulp came out of the nylons.
Knee high nylons are super cheap and did the job better than a cheese cloth.

Monika May 24, 2013

Thanks for the knee high idea! I just used one and this was my first time making almond milk. Between this awesome easy recipe and the knee high tip, I was done in minutes! Can’t wait to drink it in the morning!!!

Jim R April 6, 2014

the knee high pantyhose is a great idea. I also use them to strain my honey after extracting from the comb. inexpensive, washable and reusable! (and theycome in different colors ;-)

ping March 7, 2014

You can also get them from amazon for 7.99. Just go to amazon and search for nutbag.

cheers

Sarah Abare January 31, 2013

I found a nutmilk bag that works great at Whole Foods.

Tim April 22, 2013

If you are having trouble finding a nut milk bag, try looking for a jelly strainer bag. It is the exact same thing. They carry them at Canadian Tire (usually beside the mason jars), or at kitchen stores. A two pack will set you back five bucks or so.

If you purchase it online, you can get the jelly strainer as well (usually a metal ring with 3 legs) which allows you to go hands-free (if you don’t happen to have a free hand-model lying around).

ML March 1, 2014

I go to Ace Hardware and get gallon-sized paint strainer bags. They come two in a pack for less than $3. I use them all the time for nut milk and/or straining juices. They work great! Be sure you get the *gallon* size and not the 5-gallon size. :-)

Rashell March 23, 2014

Thanks for the paint strainer bag idea. Went to Ace a few weeks ago and got some. Made my almond milk today and it came out perfect. The recipe and suggestions are awesome!! One thing, the whole vanilla bean $4.99 (for one) was very expensive. I’ll use extract next time.

Keely May 8, 2014

Also – buying whole vanilla beans from the grocery store can be silly expensive. Plus they are generally really dry and have less flavor than should me preferable. I got my last batch of beans from the health food store – where they sell them by weight. They still aren’t cheap, but you get a better quality bean and probably for less than the one or two beans in a bag or jar that you get at most big chain grocery stores.

Judi April 5, 2014

Thanks for the great suggestion! I have just finished my second batch of almond milk using a paint strainer bag…worked like a charm.

Lauren June 14, 2014

Does anyone have any tips on how to clean a paint strainer bag for reuse? I threw out the first one because I couldn’t get everything out of it, would be nice to reuse!

Jessica April 30, 2014

Zimtal! This is hands down the best strainer bag out there! I got mine on Amazon for 9.99, it is a bit more expensive, but TOTATLY worth it :)

Amanda January 24, 2013

The very first time that I had almond milk I had homemade! I loved it and still love it more than the store kind. I made it because I suddenly changed my whole lifestyle, and was so excited to live all homemade and natural. That didn’t last, but continuing with almond milk did, I agree it is such a nice treat. My boyfriend LOVES homemade and begs me to make it all the time, claiming it is so much better then the store kinds! I haven’t mixed it with dates etc, so I think I will try that. I go for the Bulk Barn, the raw kind are cheaper (yay for less processing) so I go that route for health and economic reasons!

ping March 7, 2014

You really have to shop and make sure that the almonds you get are truly raw organic unpasteurized. The changed the rules about almonds a couple of years back and not the FDA requires all to be pasteurized. You can get raw from other countries and a few in the USA. Try hunting down small growers near you if there are any.

Effective September 2007, the USDA ordered all almond growers to “sterilize” almonds in one of several ways: heat them using steam, irradiate them using a controversial ionization process, roast or blanch them, or treat them with propylene oxide (PPO).

PPO is a known carcinogen, and most countries, including the EU, have banned imported nuts treated with PPO. The chemical is so nasty that it’s even been banned by both the National Hot Rod and American Motorcycle Racing Associations, where it had been used as a fuel additive before it was deemed too dangerous.

The new rule created deceptive labeling. Almonds that have undergone chemical treatments or heating for pasteurization are still labeled “raw.” Consumers who purchase “raw” almonds may well think that those almonds are natural and unprocessed. Moreover, there will be no label requirement to specify what kind of pasteurization treatment was used among the many approved methods or combination of options. [source]

Marlene @ Jade and Fern May 3, 2014

Wow, thanks for this info. I am constantly newly disappointed by USDA rulings and lax restrictions, especially when compared to other “first world” nations.

Herbivore Triathlete January 24, 2013

Vanilla almond milk is my favorite milk of all time! Almonds are also my favorite nut. This post is perfect for me1

(The term “nut milk bag” is just awkward though, don’t you think?)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2013

Yes I had to avoid cracking some awkward Eric handling nut bag jokes. heh

Herbivore Triathlete January 24, 2013

Ha! I wouldn’t have been able to control myself. Nope, there would’ve been lots of hubby holding nut bag jokes. He he he.

Sarah January 24, 2013

Thanks, this is a great tutorial and motivation to try homemade milk! I am glad to hear I can use the leftover pulp as almond meal too, that makes it much more economical. Question–what kind/brand of nut milk bag did you buy? There seem to be a lot of choices and they all look the same (maybe because they are…?).

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} January 24, 2013

I don’t think I could ever utter the phrase “nut milk bag” with a straight face… but this recipe looks great, and I can’t wait to try :)

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) January 24, 2013

This sounds absolutely delicious! I have never been a mylk drinker but this might convert me!

If you want to make a nice latte you can put 1 cup of fresh almond mylk in your vitamix along with ginger, cinnamon, cardamon and a pinch of pepper to make a delicious chai latte. I hope to post this recipe on my blog at some point this winter!

Anana February 7, 2014

Sounds soo yummy. Great idea … Thanks for sharing

Karena Dixon January 24, 2013

This looks so easy and delish! Can’t wait to try it.

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 24, 2013

YES! So excited you posted this! Ever since getting a vitamix I’ve wanted to try my hand at homemade almond milk!

michelle January 24, 2013

I have a food processor and a standard blender. Could I make this using either one of those, or is success only guaranteed with a high speed blender?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2013

I think a regular blender will work, you just might have to blend the nuts longer than 1 minute to get it smooth as possible

Lindsey MM January 24, 2013

When I used a regular blender in the past I found that I had to make sure I soaked everything (dates included) for the full time (10-12 hours) and it worked pretty well. :) I also agree with Angela; you will probably need to blend longer.

JoAnn May 14, 2013

I’m wondering if you leave them to soak in the fridge or at room temp? I get nervous leaving things at room temp for too long

Tami January 27, 2013

I have a nut milk bag. I simply ordered off Amazon. Maybe $7?

Tami January 27, 2013

I make almond milk in a regular ol’ plain Jane blueberries. Works fine.

Tami January 27, 2013

Ummm…not blueberries. *blender* darn autocorrect.

LilyV January 8, 2014

Giggle!

Samuel July 24, 2014

I used my Nutribullet. Works perfect for 1 cup of almonds and up to 2 cups of water (as long as you are not adding too many other ingrediants. I only let the almonds soak for about 36 hours so they hadn’t swollen to their full potential but I think it would still be ok after the full two days.

Sarah January 24, 2013

I got a nut milk bag last year and have been making almond weekly ever since. It makes the process so much easier! I also use coconut water in my recipe instead of water and the taste is amazing!

PS – Did you know that NKOTB is touring with 98 Degrees and Boyz II Men this summer? Amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2013

hah yea I heard about that the other day! Crazy

Stephanie January 24, 2013

YUM! After your last post I set out to make my own again. I started giving almond milk to my son when he was 1 because he can’t drink regular milk so now we all just drink it. BUT he didn’t go for it. So I’ve been mixing half conventional and half homemade which is working but I think this just might be the ticket! Thanks! I have some almonds ready to go now. I do need to get a nut bag though *giggle*.

Wendy January 25, 2013

Stephanie, any tricks for making large batches on a consistent basis. I would like to transition my 1 year old onto almond milk as well, but that’s a much larger quantity of weekly milk consumed. I would love to hear any techniques that make your process easier.

Jessie March 9, 2013

I was reading this because a good friend of mine has a son who can’t drink milk either. He tends to be a very picky eater but your suggestion may be a good alternative. I suppose she can try to add different ingredients also to find a taste that works for him. Also sounds like this nut bag is a key component, so I will be sure to pass that tip along too.

Megan S @ gourmet or go home January 24, 2013

Wow, beautiful photos in this post!

Shundara@ SavyNaturalista January 24, 2013

I used a stocking for my nut milks I use to make maybe I should purchase a nut bag, I would have less of a mess.. I am enjoying the vanilla specks they look so lovely in the milk…

Carey January 31, 2014

The stockings work well but the trick to less mess is an embroidery hoop. Pull the mouth of the stockibg over the hoop and lock it. Then you can set the hoop on skewers across your dish for hands free.

Ashley January 24, 2013

Lovely photos!! I also have always used cheesecloth but just bought a nut milk bag. Can’t wait to try it out. I always love homemade on day 1, but have also not been quite as impressed. I need to do more experimenting, starting with this!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa January 24, 2013

I have made hazelnut milk a few using the same method – combined with cold pressed espresso you get the most amazing iced latte ever. (Clearly, this was back in the warmer months!).

Without cheesecloth or a nut milk bag, I just used a few layers of paper towels which worked fine. Just have to be extra gentle when squeezing the excess milk out of the nut pulp.

Anana February 7, 2014

Cold pressed espresso . I would like to know more about how to make that.

Caitlin January 24, 2013

what an awesome post, angela! those tiny flecks of vanilla bean made me swoon…

Maggie January 24, 2013

I’ve been waiting for you to post this recipe! My oat milk turned out fantastic, can’t wait to try this milk out.

Emily January 24, 2013

I had NO idea it was this easy! This sounds like it would be perfect with some coffee. Thanks for the tutorial…can’t wait to try it! :)

Willow January 24, 2013

Awesome tutorial, Angela! I’ve always wanted to try my own almond milk, and now I feel like I might just have the gumption to get up and do it. I especially like the added bonus of having that pulp around – I’ve seen people make raw carrot cakes with it, which sounds divine!

Sarah January 24, 2013

Thanks for posting this tutorial. We spend way to much on Almond Milk and the list of ingredients on the side of the carton always bothers me. I am disappointed to hear that Costco’s nuts are sprayed with that chemical. I’m also in Ontario, where do you purchase nut milk bags? Thanks!

Nia January 24, 2013

Hi Angela: Love your site! You should mention that the importance of soaking the nuts is to remove some of the phytic acid from their skins – without soaking, the acid can inhibit absorption of other nutrients.. If consumed in large amounts it may not healthy…

Lynn January 24, 2013

That’s right! I think I read that years ago in a book called “Fit For Life”….and I use to make almond milk back then. I soaked the almonds overnight and then REMOVED the brown skins before blending. They popped right off (most of them) and the milk was wonderful. Nowadays I find it lots cheaper to just use the Blue Diamond brand. It lasts a long time in the fridge and works great on my oatmeal.

Kyah September 1, 2013

Blue Diamond is one of the brands with the most additives. There are better brands. Silk has less but unfortunately still has carageenan which can cause cancers. I have very limited choices since we’re in a small town. Otherwise I would be buying organic almond milk…so now I’m looking to make my own.

Samuel July 24, 2014

I know this is a pretty old post but you should take another look at Silk Almond Milk. It no longer uses Carageenan.

Connie January 24, 2013

Wonderful post, thank you! Will you please do a post on what to do with the almond pulp. You made general references but I need some good, tried recipes. I love almond milk but don’t know what to do with the almond pulp. It sits in my fridge, gets moldy, and I throw it out. Next time — same song, next verse. Help please : ) Thanks!

Tami January 27, 2013

If you use Pinterest there are many recipes for almond meal. I’ve made crackers and also simply thrown it into my homemade granola recipe.

Ali April 24, 2013

I’m sure there are many who would not approve or see this as wasteful, but like you, I never know what to do with the pulp and would toss it, because honestly, I just will not use it (and the hubby hates almonds in general). I thought about it and decided to use it as a foot soak/scrub (in a basin, not in the actual bathtub, for obvious reasons) and it felt and smelled wonderful… and why not use it as an excuse to pamper yourself every now and then?

Sam August 10, 2013

If you don’t want almond pulp (or a nut milk bag) try using homemade almond butter to make almond milk. If concerned about enzyme inhibitors, the almonds can still be soaked before making almond butter in a food processor.

Maureen January 24, 2013

This is the best tutorial on almond milk I have seen….and I’ve seen a lot! Thank you!

Mina August 10, 2013

Great post thanks!!! Can you suggest what you do of the almond pulp??? I don’t wanna waste it.

Lauren January 24, 2013

Thank you! Thank you! Can’t wait to make this a staple in my fridge. Also I really appreciate the inclusion of the almond information. I will be writing to the USDA Secretary. I’m so passionate about food and nutrition and I’m always looking for where I can do my part in changing the terrible state our food system is in. Thank you for this information and I’d love to see more of it in future posts! I’ve also signed up to help the label GMO’s fight… we really need to tackle that one.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 24, 2013

NKOTB is everywhere these days! Apparently they’re doing some tour with Boyz II Men?! I can’t decide if that’s awesome or needs to die.

This recipe is beyond awesome. I’m making it today! I think I’ll try it with fresh cinnamon and the vanilla beans. Maybe some cardamom too??? So many possibilities!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh January 24, 2013

I could make cookies from the pulp and dunk them in the milk! Yes please!

Weird question. The Mr is obsessed with the almond coconut milk from Almond Breeze. Would I add coconut flesh in with the almond when they soak or use fresh since it already has milk in it.

Kim January 24, 2013

This looks great! I have made homemade almond milk–just soaked almonds and water. It gets the job done in a smoothie or on oatmeal/cereal, but it isn’t something I would really want to drink. I need to try this recipe, I think I could actually get my kids to drink it!

could you post some recipes using the almond pulp? I have a couple bags of it in the freezer and no ideas for how to sub it into recipes! Thanks!

Cindie January 24, 2013

Wow, I’ve never tried making almond milk before, but you make it seem really do-able! Will definitely be trying this out if I can find me one of those nut milk bags :). The almond pulp looks great too.

Reba Cox January 24, 2013

I absolutely love homemade almond milk! I’ve tried all sorts of addins. But my favorite so far is my Strawberry Almond Milk!

I’ve been testing out some cereal nutmilk a la MoMoFuku Milk bar! I’m close to posted a Fruity Pebbles recipe…

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 25, 2013

That sounds so good!

Enz January 24, 2013

Hi Angela – can you tell us where you bought the nut milk bag? I’m hoping somewhere local to you (so I can go get one too!) and not on lline, but the info would be great. I stopped drinking commercial almond milk because of carrageenan about 2 years ago and gave missed it.

Enz January 24, 2013

Oops never mind, I missed your previous response!

Sarah @ Yogi in Action January 24, 2013

Your pictures are always so beautiful! That last picture is fantastic.

I definitely want to try making this- especially with your recent post and the addition of caarcegean (or however it was spelt). Looks delicious.

Jess January 24, 2013

This looks amazing – and super easy! I usually give my kids chocolate soy milk mixed with plain unswt soy milk in the mornings, b/c my husband is worried about their calcium intake, and those fortified milks cover it, but I do hate all the stabilizers and other weird ingredients in the milks. I’m curious about how much protein and calcium homemade nut milks have – any clue? Or other ways to specifically add calcium to my kids’ diets.

Duck January 24, 2013

I feel so lazy now, always buying my milk drinks from the supermarket… I really should try this sometime, although I get through so much I don’t think I’d ever have to time to make it all from scratch.

Anne @ eatcleaneatreal January 24, 2013

Awesome! Im starting a 50 day “real” food challenge and was sad when I realized almond milk was OUT. But If I make it myself Im good to go. YAY I cant wait to try the recipe.

Christine @ Shot Bun January 24, 2013

I’ve never tried to make homemade milk before, but this recipe looks so easy. I will definitely get the nut milk bag before attempting to make homemade milk because I am prone to disasters in the kitchen and I can just see myself making a mess trying to strain this with a cheesecloth! haha!

Lindsey MM January 24, 2013

This recipe is so great!!! I never thought of using a whole vanilla bean before! I have made my own milks in the past and had varying amounts of success — this recipe looks delicious and fool-proof. I am so excited to try this :) need a nut bag asap too :P you’re right about that cheesecloth business — I get all sorts of messy with stuff like that.

Audrey January 24, 2013

This sounds lovely! I wonder how it would compare nutritionally to store-bought almond milks.

Also, I must ask where you got the cute milk bottles!

Catherine January 24, 2013

1. Loving the black background with this photography
2. Your blender is beautiful
3. This post cracked me up a lot. Thank you! Laughter is the best medicine.

Marilyn January 20, 2014

Hey people I have a friend who makes almond milk all the time he uses very fine stainless mesh strainer works fantastic. And not all the mess with bags try it !

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2014