Easy BBQ Tofu

BBQ tofu 0887 thumb   Easy BBQ Tofu

Don’t mind me for disappearing for a couple days. I had an eye infection with eyes so puffy I could barely see the light of day. It was so random. Luckily, the doc gave me some eye drops and my eyes are rapidly on the mend, even though I don’t think one single eye drop has actually landed in my eye.

Now that I’m back in action, I have a quick and easy recipe to share. This is another staple meal that I find myself going back to when I just want to get back to the basics. While this recipe might not be the most ground-breaking or inventive, it sure is a wholesome, balanced meal that can be thrown together in 15-30 minutes.

I usually start off by preparing a quick cooking grain like millet or quinoa. Or if we have leftover grains in the fridge, the meal comes together even faster. Millet and quinoa both take about 20 minutes to cook, so I always start off with prepping the grain first. See the directions in these recipes for how to cook millet or how to cook quinoa. I cook my grains in vegetable broth for more flavour and I also like to stir in garlic powder and season with Herbamare to make it pop.

BBQ tofu 0897 thumb   Easy BBQ Tofu

Next up, BBQ tofu!

This part is simple too. Just pan fry pressed tofu until crispy and then coat it in your favourite BBQ sauce. I use Stubb’s Original BBQ sauce.

While the tofu is frying, I steam broccoli or other vegetables that we might have on hand. A simple side salad also works. I like to serve this dish with a drizzle of BBQ sauce on the grains and broccoli to add more flavour. Millet is definitely not my favourite grain to eat plain, but I do enjoy it with a fun sauce to add some zip.

BBQ tofu 0883 thumb   Easy BBQ Tofu BBQ tofu 0892 3 thumb   Easy BBQ Tofu

Nothing fancy or complicated here. Just good food with a little help from a bottle of sauce.

By the way, BBQ tofu is also great served in a sandwich or wrap.

Easy BBQ Tofu

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: about 3 servings

Ingredients:

• 1 package organic firm tofu (I love Sol Organic Firm Tofu)
  • 1 tbsp high heat safe oil (such as grapeseed or coconut oil)
  • Herbamare/sea salt and pepper, for seasoning
  • Garlic powder, for seasoning
  • 1/4 cup of your favourite BBQ sauce, plus more for serving if desired (I use Stubb’s)

1. Press tofu for at least 30-45 minutes, or if you are able, overnight in a tofu press. I got a Tofu Xpress recently and it’s my new best friend.

2. Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Slice tofu into about 32 rectangles (or as many as you desire).

3. Add 1 tbsp of oil to the skillet and then carefully add the tofu. Be careful as the oil can splatter. Spread tofu out into a single layer, season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and fry for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. (Tediously) flip each piece of tofu (a couple forks works for me) and fry for another 5-6 minutes, or until golden all over and charred in some spots. I like to cook it until it’s nice and crisp.

4. Remove from heat and stir in the BBQ sauce to coat the tofu. Serve immediately with more sauce on the side if desired.

For nutritional info, see here.

BBQ tofu 0885 thumb   Easy BBQ Tofu

We had a few tech-related issues on the blog Monday night into yesterday morning. Everything should be looking normal again, but if you are still seeing a scrambled page please let me know!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 23, 2013

I love BBQ tofu! It’s such a fast, easy meal for when I’m feeling too lazy to cook.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 23, 2013

Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry to hear about your eye infection Ange!! I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better now. This recipe sounds so yummy! I’ve been more of a tempeh gal lately rather than tofu, but BBQ sauce makes everything taste good!

Sarah (appifanie) January 23, 2013

That’s exactly the kind of simple yummy dinner I love!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 23, 2013

I love this recipe! I have made something similar, but I made it into a sandwich: cleaneatingveggiegirl.wordpress.com/2012/12/30/bbq-tofu-sandwich/ The combination of tofu and BBQ sauce is simply delicious!

Martine January 23, 2013

Hi Angela, I have been silently following your blog for over a year and I finally need to speak up and say that i LOVE your recipes! :) I am a fitness instructor and you have introduced me to a healthier way of baking, tips that I now share with many of my clients. I am currently obsessed with your . I make a batch every week, and they are the perfect healthy snack to munch on while I travel from one client to the next. Can’t wait to try this tofu recipe too! Thank you for all these brilliant recipes! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2013

Thank you Martine, I appreciate it!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 23, 2013

I lllovvveee BBQ tofu — great recipe :D

Faith January 23, 2013

I appreciate recipes like this that aren’t intimidating, but still sound delicious! Quick question- what would happen if you didn’t press the tofu? Is it just a matter of preference to press or not press, or will it mess up the recipe if you don’t press it? Thanks for the info!

Blogging Runner January 24, 2013

I make quinoa all of the time, but I never thought to cook it in vegetable broth! I hope your eye is better!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 24, 2013

I make this all the time at home. So easy, and so good!

Mona January 24, 2013

Do you have a recipe for homemade BBQ sauce? I hate all the additives you find with the supermarket! Thanks for the explanation on the press! I have one myself and I just started using it a lot!

liz January 24, 2013

Was looking for something to make for dinner tonight – thanks for the receipe, can’t wait to try it and will be looking to see where i can buy a press :)

R.A. January 24, 2013

I agree with you about the Tofu Xpress, I requested one for a Christmas gift a year ago and it has been used countless times. No more endless paper towels and wobbly weights, just very well drained tofu to enjoy. This recipe looks great too!

Laura January 24, 2013

Hi Angela,
I want to make this dessert SOOOOO bad for an upcoming birthday but we have nut allergies in our household; could I substitute sunflower seeds for the pecans and get the same effect?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 25, 2013

Hey Laura, Do you mind linking me to the recipe so I know which one you are talking about? Thanks!

Laura January 24, 2013

LOL, this was supposed to be for the Chilled Double Chocolate Recipe…Oops!

Jessica January 25, 2013

I made this yesterday for lunch, and it.is.awesome. I haven’t bought tofu in months because I havent really found an easy way to prepare that makes me love it, this.is.it!!
This morning I just finished my bowl of Apple Pie Oatmeal, why dont I eat this every day?
I love your blog and am very excited every time a new post pops up. Keep up the awesome work and I cant wait for your book!

Whitney Davis-TheHealthyVita January 25, 2013

I totally made BBQ tofu for my husband and I the other night! It goes great with baked sweet potato fries and vegan chipotle mayo ;)

Mary January 27, 2013

This was de-lish! I thought it tasted a lot like chicken legs, but without all the ‘bad’ stuff connected to eating chicken…I enjoyed it so much more! Thank you, Angela!

Holly February 1, 2013

So easy and so so delicious! Next time I am going to double the recipe, because we ate it all up and wanted more!

april February 1, 2013

Delicious! I baked it as suggested by a commenter…so good. Also, I mixed in pineapple! I am a big fan!

Erin February 3, 2013

I made this on Monday and ever since I’ve been dreaming about it in class. I freeze my tofu, let it thaw in the fridge for a day or two and then press it, it’s the only way I’ve been able to make tofu taste great every time (and then I can stockpile tofu in the freezer when it goes on sale). This recipe is so simple and yet incredible, perfect for my law school schedule and budget.

Rena Archer February 9, 2013

I made this today and it was so good. Thank you for coming up with these recipes and sharing them with us. You make a newbie vegan like me feel happy! Happy that I can go to your website and learn new recipes to share with my hubby :)
Thanks a bunch!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2013

Im so glad you enjoyed it Rena!

Kelly J. R. February 13, 2013

I made this last night and my meat-eating husband loved it too. I pressed the tofu overnight and it was nice and crispy. Thanks for another great recipe!

Evie February 17, 2013

Mmm this is so good! I don’t have a tofu press so I usually buy the “fried” tofu at the grocery store. It looks almost exactly the same!

Izabela February 21, 2013

Hi Angela, just wondering where you got your tofu xpress here in Canada? I want one :) Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2013

I think it was purchased from their website. I have no idea if you can find them in Canada though! I think a friend told me the vegan restaurant in Burlington might carry them (not kind food but the other one..the name escapes me right now!)

Izabela February 24, 2013

Thank you! Btw i just discovered your wesbite through a friend and i love it so much!!! I am on here everyday – thank you for all your recipes and inspiration :)

Ryane March 27, 2013

Made this tonight! Soooo delish! I roasted broccoli as one of the sides, tossed in olive oil, curry powder, garlic powder and pepper. Will make again really soon!

Lisa April 20, 2013

Wow! So many fabulous recipes, so little time. I’m an ovo-lacto-pescatarian looking to go vegan 3 – 4 days a week and your website gives so many fabulous ideas! Thanks a bunch.

Erin April 24, 2013

I can’t eat enough of this one! It is phenomenal! And thank you for going to the effort of providing nutritional information on your recipes too. So appreciated!

Erin August 19, 2013

Do you ever marinate your tofu? Tofu has fallen out of favor fore, unless it’s blended in a sauce or dessert. Even with a sauce, it tastes … beige.

Tofu is a great protein source, so I’m interested to heat what you think about pressing and marinading.

Thanks!
E

Agne October 7, 2013

Easy and delicious! Will definitely do this again.

Kavya October 27, 2013

I tried this recipe yesterday with orange ginger sauce and it is totally delish! First time trying your recipes Angela, thanks for this amazing blog! It makes me feel excited as a vegetarian!

Megan January 20, 2014

This was super good! I popped it into the oven instead–tossing it with some sunflower oil and seasonings. I added the bbq sauce at about 30 minutes and let it go for another 5. Yum!

Page 2 of 2«12