Maple Baked Lentils with Sweet Potato – Healthy Comfort Food

maple baked lentils -9961

Oh, January. Your detoxes, cleanses, juice fasts, diet commercials, and cellulite cream jeans are starting to get on my nerves. Just so you know I’m tuning you out, so don’t bother trying to lure me in with 6 easy payments or strict diet plans. It’s just not my thing. My approach to January – or any other month for that matter – is to eat food that makes me feel good and less of what doesn’t. But this approach doesn’t really sell, does it?

Soup, chili, and casseroles – these are the warm, comfort foods on my mind most days. Today, I’m sharing my take on maple baked beans, using hearty, chewy lentils for a fun twist. Lentils may seem boring to many, but I find them just the opposite. Their subtle flavour can blend into just about any vegan dish. Much like tofu, lentils are a great canvas for many different flavours, spices, and cuisines. I even adore them plain with a dusting of Herbamare and splash of vinegar. It’s a rather homely snack, but I’d devour the entire bowl before noticing.

Adding more fuel to my lentil loving fire – Canada is the world’s largest producer of lentils. It’s in my blood, eh? Their relative proximity, along with being a super cheap protein source, make them a regular staple in my diet. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that they are nutritional powerhouses too. One cooked cup provides around 17.86 grams of protein, 6.5 mg iron, and 15.64 grams of fibre (source) making it a stick-to-your-ribs plant food that can go the distance. Pair them with Vitamin C rich sweet potato and you’ll boost your iron absorption even more.

maple baked lentils -9966

Maple Baked Lentils with Sweet Potato

A bit of apple cider vinegar rounds out the sweetness of the dish and I encourage you to adjust the amounts to your own taste as you may like more or less pop from the vinegar. Serve this over some toasted bread, or even with a salad, and you have yourself a budget-friendly vegan meal during the peak of winter. To save on cook time, make the lentils beforehand and simply mix everything together and pop into the oven.

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 4-6 servings

2 cups dry green lentils
1 sweet onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 sweet apple, peeled and diced (I used Gala)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced small*
14-oz can diced tomatoes (about 1.5 cups)
2.5 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
2 tsp regular mustard
1/2-1 tsp fine grain sea salt + ground pepper, to taste
1-2.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar, to taste

1. Rinse and drain lentils. In a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven*, add lentils along with 4 cups of water. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for about 30 minutes, uncovered, stirring often. Add more water if necessary. Lentils are ready when they are just tender (but not mushy) and most of the water is absorbed.

2. Preheat oven to 375F. Add onion, garlic, apple, sweet potato, tomatoes (with juice), maple syrup, blackstrap molasses, mustard, salt, and pepper to the pot with the lentils. Stir well to combine. Add half of the apple cider vinegar (you’ll add the rest later if desired).

3. Cover with lid (or tin foil in a pinch) and bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover, and stir. Bake for another 8-12 minutes, uncovered, until the sweet potato is tender. Stir in the rest of the apple cider vinegar if desired and season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.

4. Serve over toasted bread or with a salad.

Nutritional Info (without bun): based on six and four servings.

Notes: If you don’t have an oven-safe pot or Dutch oven, simply transfer the mixture into a casserole dish and cover with tin foil before baking. 2) Dice the sweet potato small to decrease cook time.

maple baked lentils -9957

What are your favourite vegan comfort foods?

1 Becca January 18, 2013

Gah! The photography in this post is awesome! Love the styling and rustic look.

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

3 Suzy November 13, 2013

This dish looks amazing! My husband is allergic to all tomato products. Do you have any suggestions for substituting out the tomatoes?

4 Paula April 5, 2015

04/05/2015 Easter dinner with my vegan niece. This was delicious! I love lentils and squash, but dislike tomatoes. I’m going to leave then out when I make it. And maple! The sap is rising NOW – just in time for fresh from the vat hot syrup! Thank you, dear brother for bringing this to our Easter table.

5 Angela January 25, 2013

Made this tonight and LOVED it!! Very tasty and filling. My hubby came home from work and started eating from the dish and couldn’t stop. LOL

6 Sarah January 18, 2013

I want this right now! It’s 55 degrees where I live (South Florida, I consider this freezing!) and this sounds so perfect.

7 Mstar January 18, 2013

Yes I agree. I’m also in south Florida and trying to find a healthy warming recipe. This looks so good!

8 Frauleinlola January 20, 2013

High of -11 here in Minneapolis on Monday! A perfect day to try this. :)

9 Kristin January 21, 2013

Atlanta and 53. Also what we consider freezing!

10 Christine Gillis January 18, 2013

It’s snowing here in Nova Scotia and this sounds like the perfect supper! I have a sweet potato waiting to be used up and (or course) lots of lentils! Thank you Angela!

11 Erica {Coffee & Quinoa}\ January 18, 2013

Between a juice cleanse and lentils, I will choose lentils every time. Thanks for the recipe!

12 Picky Nicky January 18, 2013

im also a canadian lentil lover :) i actually never knew canada was a huge lentil producer!

13 Andrea January 18, 2013

Oh yum! Some of my favourite flavours, all in one – this is definitely going on my to-make list for this month. Question for you – do you think this would work in a crock pot?

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

I can’t see why not :)

15 Starr February 3, 2013

How would you adapt this recipe for the crock pot?

16 Ashleyy January 18, 2013

haha that was going to be my question too! I think I am going to try it!

17 Suzanne January 18, 2013

This looks AMAZING!!!! I so wish my husband liked sweet potatoes more cause I love them, butternut squash etc! And my boyz are so picky. Oh well – more for me :)
Love the idea of trying the crock pot too as I am looking for more CP recipes – thanks for the idea

18 janet @ the taste space January 18, 2013

I am on the same wavelength as you, Ange.. down with detox/cleanses, on with whole foods! I made something very similar recently.. Nova Scotian baked beans with blackstrap molasses and pumpkin seed butter. I probably should try it with maple syrup at some point, too. Love seeing you using lentils.. They are definitely one of my favourites. :)

19 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh January 18, 2013

Girl, your photography makes me wanna jump through the screen and dig in!! ;-)

Happy Friday!

20 Misty January 18, 2013

This looks amazing! Yum! I’m excited to make this tomorrow!! I love your baked bean cornbread recipe, I actually made it for xmas dinner! Ps. Also made your crispy breaded tofu strips last night, they are now a staple for me! So good!

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

I’m happy to hear you like the cornbread casserole! Thanks for trying it out.

22 Suzanne January 18, 2013

Oh my – that was a great one – we all loved the maple bean cornbread mix! You are genius :-)

23 Becky January 18, 2013

I echo the sentiment on your baked bean/pumpkin/cornbread casserole – I make it year roung – even in the summer. It’s probably my favorite recipe of yours so far – which is saying a lot because they are all so good!

24 Emma January 18, 2013

Likewise on the pumpkin baked bean cornbread casserole. It was a hit with everyone at home- all omnivores except me. This recipe looks equally delicious. I love your refreshing attitude to eating too :)

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

Thanks ladies! I don’t know why, but I didn’t think that recipe had many fans. Glad to hear otherwise :)

26 Mandi January 18, 2013

Is there a recipe for that bread???? Oh my gosh that bread looks so yummy! If there is a recipe, please post that as well!

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

Sadly no, it’s just bakery bread. :)

28 Morgan January 23, 2013

Aww that was my question. It look so good (along with your recipe, of course!)

29 Lauren January 30, 2013

I was coming here to ask the same thing! That crusty bread looks amazing.

30 Charity February 7, 2013

What is the name of that bread? What bakery? It looks totally delish and I want it when I make this dish!

31 andie August 7, 2014

It looks just like the small Stonemill baguettes, they sell them at our local metro. Whenever I buy them, my husband and I end up devouring one (sliced with butter) before dinner, so delicious.

32 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 18, 2013

I’m with you on just eating good food in January. I just recommitted to eating good, clean foods. And vowed to drink a tad less wine. Lol!

33 Kristen Waby/Kristensfitnessnook January 18, 2013

I am so making this on the weekend! How long would this take in a crock pot do you think?

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

I think it would work just fine. Keep an eye on the moisture content though, as Im not sure it would dry out.

35 Allie January 20, 2013

Cut up for the crockpot tomorow…let you know!

36 Sarah @ Yogi in Action January 18, 2013

That looks delicious! I definitely want to try and make that. I also love lentils- it helps that my dad is a farmer and grows them. My favourite is when I get a bag of lentils from my dad’s farm!

My favourite vegan food is hummus. I love hummus and sometimes eat it straight. Delicious :)

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

I can get behind hummus as a comfort food for sure

38 Heather January 18, 2013

Hahaha I saw the commercial for cellulite cream jeans and my first thought was ‘gross’ and my second thought was to buy better chapstick (Mick Jagger’s daughter is the model and her lips are ah-mazing).

Loving the rustic meal vibe :-)

39 Chelsea January 18, 2013

This looks amazing!! You have the cutesy dishes:)

40 Staci January 18, 2013

That bread looks AMAZING!! did you make that too, or where did you get it?

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

Sadly no, it’s from a bakery :)

42 Shundara@ SavyNaturalista January 18, 2013

I thought I was the only one annoyed by all the juice and detox fasts, I am happy to know I am not the only one. My favorite vegan food would half to be vegan lemon bars. This sub looks amazing especially since it is so cold and all you want to eat is comfort food :)

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

You know what’s weird, I don’t know if I’ve ever had a lemon square/bar before!

44 Dutchgirlsam January 18, 2013

Hmmm, that looks amazing! I also love my fare share of lentils. So funny, I’m a Dutch foodie, but I’ve never seen a Dutch Oven, like ever. Had to Google it, to know what it is :-D.

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

You aren’t alone…I just learned that term in recent months.

46 j dahlberg January 18, 2013

Oh my goodness! That picture is so beautiful. I love the texture of the wood and placemat. I started following your blog a few weeks ago as I transition to more plant-based meals. I bought some red lentils two days ago and had no idea what to do with them, as I have never cooked with them before. Then…….POW! Here is a recipe for me to try. Thanks! I will try this out on our dinner guest this Sunday. God bless you in this wonderful journey of health and happiness.

47 lea January 18, 2013

In case you are not aware….red lentils have a very different texture than the green lentils used in this recipe……

48 j dahlberg January 18, 2013

Thanks so much Lea for helping in my “plant education” Until a month ago I had never even heard of cashew cream. Now I use it in many things instead of sour cream which I used to inhale. My husband grew up in the South and I grew up in the West raised on meat and potatoes, so this is quite a journey for me. Baby steps. Take care!

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

Thanks for your comments! Firstly, congrats on the amazing changes you are making in your lifestyle. You are such an inspiration. I can relate to not knowing what to do with new ingredients….this has been my journey over the past few years. :)

Like Lea mentioned, red lentils do have a much different texture when cooked. Red lentils “fluff up” and get super soft, almost disappearing into the food. Green or brown lentils stay more intact with a better chew to them and they are my preferred lentil in dishes like this. I do have some red lentil recipes though, most recently a red lentil soup that has a lot of positive reviews: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/11/07/spiced-red-lentil-tomato-and-kale-soup/

Enjoy & goodluck!

50 lea January 19, 2013

I made that soup ….. at the time I substituted spinach for the kale…its really good.

I had the Maple Baked Lentils last night…another big hit with me…I am having the leftovers tonight with coconut rice…

Thanks again Angela

51 Angela January 19, 2013

Glad to hear that! Thanks for letting me know.

52 char eats greens January 18, 2013

Yum sound so good Angela and I’m loving the rustic look to the pics too!!! And seriously, that bread looks mighty delicious to pair with this dish!!! I just used some green lentils in a soup last night but I think I know what I’ll be using them for next time ;)

53 Lauren January 18, 2013

This looks AHH-mazing! Cannot wait to try it!

54 Julia January 18, 2013

I agree-lentils are the best comfort food and work great in many dishes that call for meat preparation (stews, casseroles, hummus). My all-time favorite use for lentils is in my grandmother’s Lebanese lentil soup, which I have eaten and loved since I was a child (I suppose I was destined to be vegan from the start). Your reference to maple baked beans reminded me of a woman who was seated at our dinner table on a cruise and kept referring to her unwanted lentil side dish as “beans”. I had to restrain myself from chuckling at the mistake (and from scooping the “beans” off her plate and onto mine :) ).

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

poor little lentils heh

ps- Im now googling Lebanese lentil soup

56 Herbivore Triathlete January 18, 2013

I agree that the photography is gorgeous, very rustic, which I love! I could eat lentils the way you described, plain out of the pot. I boil mine with Herbamare and a bay leaf, so good!

I also adore hummus and will eat it plain with just a spoon (or my finger!).

57 Lindsey MM January 18, 2013

Oh this looks so yummy!!! I love warm foods in the winter and lentils are great!! One of my favorite comfort foods is curry — definitely love curries :) and also oatmeal. I am on a serious oatmeal kick lately mixing peanut butter, chocolate, molasses, a touch of maple syrup, crumbled up bread/muffins, and flax milk. I’m obsessed its crazy! I also added your freezer fudge to oatmeal recently and it was awesome!

58 Anne January 18, 2013

I need to bring a winter comfort food dish to a potluck. I’m bringing this one! Thanks!

59 Kathryn January 18, 2013

What would the equivalent measurement be if I used canned lentils instead? (Btw, I absolutely adore your blog and recipes!)

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

Hey Kathryn, I think 1 cup dry lentils makes around 2-2.5 cups cooked? So you’d need roughly 4-5 cups cooked lentils. Hope this helps!

61 Margaret January 18, 2013

This is exactly the sort of food I crave this time of year. I appreciate that this is a fairly simple recipe, with things that I always tend to have around the house. I’m excited to try it! Plus, one of my favorite vegan comfort foods is lentil soup!

62 Nikki W. January 18, 2013

Who knew lentils could be so stunning? Beautiful photos and a delicious looking meal. I didn’t know about the lentil + Canada connection, but that’s awesome too. Definitely bookmarking this one. I love the addition of molasses, mustard, and ACV. Yum.

63 Marielle | Vega in Vianen January 18, 2013

A Dutch oven?! Please enlighten this Dutch girl!

64 Dutchgirlsam January 18, 2013

Hey Marielle, you can find it on Wiki. Never seen it before too! Strange, isn’t it? Hahaha!

65 Marielle | Vega in Vianen January 18, 2013

What an education! Shame on us, he? :) Of all people, we should have one of those lying around! I’ll check my grandma’s storage room, just in case… :P

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

Interesting :) So tell me what do you call them? Cast iron pots or something else?

67 Dutchgirlsam January 18, 2013

Have you ever seen a Dutch Oven before, Marielle? I sure didn’t! It looks a bit like a Hans and Gretel’s witch pot to me :). But sorry Angela, I don’t have a name for it. Cast iron pot is a good name, I guess :).

68 Marielle | Vega in Vianen January 19, 2013

No, never! And it does look like something from a fairy tale. There are plenty of websites though, trying to bring back this ‘ancient’ way of cooking. Very in line with all the conservatism going on these days ;) But I would also go with cast iron pot, they look quite similar.

It’s funny how some things are apparently Dutch and I had no idea. Like Dutch processed cocoa. I have no idea whether the cocoa brand I use is Dutch ;) or what Dutch processed even means. I thought the only thing we did well was bipartisan politics (we do that “well” at the moment though) and building dykes, re-claiming land. And develop television programmes..Mmm… I should reconsider my patriotism ;)

69 Dutchgirlsam January 19, 2013

Hahaha! Yes, funny isn’t it! And when traveling abroad they frequently ask my husband and I if we use drugs. We use what!? Eeeh, no thanks! :) About the Dutch cocoa, I asked myself the same question. Maybe there are mostly blends in Canada/ USA, with sugar or milkpowder in it or something? Not sure eighter….

70 Carie January 26, 2013

Dutch process cocoa is alkalized cocoa. It has a neutral pH, as opposed to the acidic pH of regular cocoa. It doesn’t mean it has sugar or milk powder.

71 Christine @ Shot Bun January 18, 2013

This looks delicious! I have a butternut squash sitting on my counter at home so I think I’ll swap the sweet potato in your recipe with the squash and try this recipe out tonight.

72 Kristin January 21, 2013

I have a butternut that needs using too. Please let us know how your swap turns out.

73 Bethany January 18, 2013

I’m not trying to ruin what looks like the PERFECT comfort food meal… but what about baking some kale or spinach into those lentils along with the sweet potatoes? Would that be a weird texture?

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

Oh yea that would work Im sure :)

75 Stephanie January 18, 2013

I love when I already have all the ingredients to one of your recipes. Plus, I live in Chicago (we’re hitting single digits next week), so this will be coming out of the kitchen VERY soon.

Thank you!

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

It’s getting chilly here too -perfect time for warmer foods! Its been so mild here so far this winter.

77 Carley @ OptimisticHealth January 18, 2013

Sold. Lentils first timer over here!!

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

Nice, let me know how it goes

79 allison January 18, 2013

yep gonna make this tomorrow night :-) my girls love sweet potatoes :-) we are loving lentils, I made a delicious lentil taco salad filling last week, definately a go to meal in our house. tasted soooo yummy.

80 Bruna January 18, 2013

my favorites are veggie soups!!!

81 Averie @ Averie Cooks January 18, 2013

Maple baked anything is always a win and I bet your house smelled amazing! I am loving that earthy, grainy, texture-filled loaf of bread too! The perfect kind!

82 Mary January 18, 2013

Wow – how did you know those ingredients are just what I picked up at the grocery store yesterday (with no intent in mind)? I’m putting it in the meal rotation for this weekend. :)

I also greatly appreciate and empathize with your reaction to the January fads. How crazy would it be to see an infomercial touting that yes – it’s January – as good as a time to make a fresh start as any! Here are some small steps you can take on a lifetime path of wellness! And you don’t have to send us any money!

83 Karen January 18, 2013

Heeeeey girl, whatta winner you have here, MUST do! OMG, I sooo wanna add something like cauliflower…and/or brussels sprouts or something – what do you think?
Much love!
Karen

84 Jack January 18, 2013

I think you should post the recipe for the amazing bread in those photos!!! By the way, yay Vegan Canadian Women! :) Even in the small city Im from in Ontario its nice to know there are other proud vegan canadians out there! :)

85 Christina January 18, 2013

Hey Angela! Absolutely love your website. It’s my go-to for amazing food and I always direct people to it. If I don’t have the blackstrap molasses, will it make a huge difference? Any suggestions for modifying the recipe? Thanks and hope you stay warm!!

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

Thank you Christina!
Generally maple baked bean recipes are made with either blackstrap molasses or regular molasses. I really can’t comment on how the flavour would change by omitting it or subbing it for regular molasses as I’ve only had it this way. If you try anything let me know how it goes! Goodluck.

87 Erica January 18, 2013

I used brown sugar in place of molasses. It was the only thing I didn’t have! It’s still in the oven baking up, so I’ll come back to report later!

88 Michelle January 24, 2013

Erica, How did it come out with the brown sugar substitute?

89 scissors and spice January 18, 2013

Yum! I want to lick the screen. This is my favorite way to eat and two of my favorite foods!

90 Cindy February 16, 2014

Delicious! I made this exactly to the recipe….next time I will add more sweet potato! I wasn’t able to get the nutrition value. Can you repost it for me?

91 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 18, 2013

What a fabulous meal! Yum!

92 lea January 18, 2013

Right now…..my go to favourite comfort food can be found right here on OSG…..Glazed Lentil Walnut Apple Loaf revisited……..

93 Naomi January 18, 2013

I think the molasses is the brilliant addition in this dish… can we say yummy?? Thanks for posting this… I’ve been looking for some creative lentil dishes.

94 Ali January 18, 2013

I agree, cleanses are too extreme for me! I think we need a less drastic and more wholesome approach to food overall. All things on moderation. :)

95 Conveniently Natural January 18, 2013

Sounds and looks delicious, thanks for sharing this recipe!

96 Nicole January 18, 2013

I’m more interested in the bread! It looks delicious!

97 Kerry January 18, 2013

This looks like the perfect comfort food! It combines two of my favorites – lentils and sweet potatoes, so I know I’m going to love it! Another favorite is oatmeal or quinoa porridge. I would be happy eating it for every meal!

98 a farmer in the dell January 18, 2013

No juice cleanses happening over here! this sounds delicious Angela. Love the combo of sweet taters and lentils!

99 Lacey January 18, 2013

Did you sneak into my kitchen and make a meal of all that remains of my food this week? Because I totally have everything to make this even though I’m running low on food!
Thanks for the recipe, can’t wait to try it!

100 Teresa January 18, 2013

Angela, just had to pop in here and thank you for this recipe.
These are two of my favorite foods – not just because they taste so yummy, but also because lentils and sweet potatoes are such rib-stickers. They really help satisfy – great combo choice! Can’t wait to try it.

101 Johanna January 18, 2013

The lentils look good… but OH MY GOD that bread– I want that bread!

102 kat January 18, 2013

Could I make this with French Lentils? Would it make any dfference?

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

Those are the smaller black lentils right? I’m not sure….is their flavour very similar? I think they are generally firmer so the dish would have more chew to it.

104 Mary January 18, 2013

This looks wonderful. Have all the makings for this….looks like dinner to me!!

105 Julia January 18, 2013

You are very good at what you do :) I love dropping in and finding a recipe that’s both exciting and easy to whip up. Thanks much!!

106 Danielle January 18, 2013

I made this today it was Delicious. ( I used fancy molasses, it was all I had), this was very simple and easy to make.

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2013

Thanks for reporting back Danielle! Glad you enjoyed it.

108 Andrea @ Vegvacious January 18, 2013

I am so excited to have all of the ingredients for this recipe! The flavour combo sounds amazing — totally Canadian and perfect for winter!!

109 Mélanie January 18, 2013

I will forever be grateful to my sister for referring me to your site a couple of weeks ago. Your recipe’s are amazing. My boyfriend and I have decided to transition to Vegan and so far none of your recipe’s have failed they are all amazing! Thank you for making our transition so pleasant with great food!
So far would have to say my comfort one is your mushroom gravy…. i was eating it with the ‘miam miam miam’ sounds coming out! My boyfriend thought I was crazy but it was just too good! Had mine with rice but will try it with the millet.

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2013

Hey Mélanie! Thank you so much for your kind words – I`m so happy to hear you are enjoying the recipes! Thanks for reading

111 Aimee January 18, 2013

I aspire to take food photos as you do! Congrats on your smoothie book. Very exciting! xo
Aimee

112 Jackie January 18, 2013

This looks SO GOOD! gluten free too, right?

113 Marianka January 18, 2013

I’m trying to use healthy weight loss diet as much as I can so your recipie is perfect, looks so tasty! thank You:)

114 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 18, 2013

More of what feels good and less of what doesn’t –> TOTALLY agree Ange! And I’m also with you on the lentils. I recently made a lentil-based dinner that was totally delicious, and provided the photos actually look half decent on my camera when I transfer them to my computer, it just might be Wednesday’s recipe of the week! Your recipe sounds amazing!

115 Anne Marie January 18, 2013

I am on my way home from work on the Metro and was JUST thinking of what new recipe I was going to try this weekend when I refreshed your website on my phone and literally shouted, “OH MY GOSH!!!” out loud on the train. Haha so needless to say I am pretty excited to make this. :)

116 Johanna January 18, 2013

I’m in the OMG camp….my kitchen smells great, and, yes, in a baked bean kind of way. I’m going to put it over linguine (more for my guest than for myself). Thank you!!!!

117 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 18, 2013

This looks amazing! Also where did you get the bread? I love how seedy and grainy it looks.

My favourite vegan comfort foods are chili, sweet potato & black bean soup, and ratatouille with tempeh.

118 Jannine Murray January 18, 2013

Great site here!! I have heard about you from some of my clients and now I see why you are well loved:) I’m totally making this for dinner, yum!

Jannine

119 lysette January 18, 2013

Pinto beans mashed up with avocado and salsa then scooped out with slices of roasted squash is one of my favorite stick to my ribs quick meals.
Also brown rice, avocado and tomato with salt and pepper. We need heartier meals in this Northern winter, save the salads and juices for spring!
Can’t wait for your cookbook!

120 Shira January 18, 2013

Gorgeous recipe Angela! I am with you and adore lentils for their amazing versatility. Crazy that Canada does produce so many lentils, even crazier that we export the vast majority to the middle east! Have you ever found a source for buying Canadian lentils? I’d love to get my hands on some!

121 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 18, 2013

This recipe combines three of my favorite foods: lentils, sweet potatoes, and apples. It absolutely has to be a winner! :)

122 Luv What You Do January 18, 2013

That recipe is so up my alley! I can’t wait to dig in and feel the comfort!

123 jodye @ chocolate & chou fleur January 18, 2013

This dish looks amazing! I’m such a fan of all of the star ingredients, so I couldn’t possibly go wrong! Thanks for the great recipe!

124 Butterfingers January 18, 2013

Do you this would work with other, say red lentils?
I’d really love to try this recipie…anything with sweet potato is a winner n my books :)

125 Addy @ Six-Kick Switch January 18, 2013

Angela, I made your Maple Baked Beans soooo many times last year and they were delicious! I’m so glad to see a new recipe with (it looks like) a similar flavor palate…I’m looking forward to making this!

126 Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 19, 2013

This looks delicious, vegan soups in cold weather are so awesome
I need to buy some more of the Blackstrap Molasses and then make this, I have a huge butternut squash waiting to be attacked in the kitchen :-D

My favourite vegan comfort foods are multiple! haha
I like salads on hot days, recently gotten into making huge leafy green plates with dandelion greens, endive, watercress, spinach, kale etc
And then vegan vanilla lattes with dried fruit and nuts is my favourite comfort snack
I also learned to make turnip fries and butternut squash chips, I make a low-fat vegan pesto to go with those with some chopped tomato on top
One of my favourite salty snack comfort foods is roasted seeds from all the squash I buy. I just roast them on the skillet/stove-top with salt and garlic powder and then eat them like I used to eat potato chips and Cheetos [I used to love Cheetos. I wish there was vegan Cheetos haha]

127 Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 19, 2013

^ I wish there WERE vegan Cheetos I meant…

128 Johanna January 19, 2013

I’m going to turn the leftovers into a burger.

129 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 19, 2013

Yum!! What a great dish and the bread with it makes me want it all the more!! Beautiful photos!

130 Anita Stephenson January 19, 2013

Thanks Angela for the great recipe. I have to say thank you also for the very helpful nutritional info!! I haven’t noticed it before, but wanted to say how wonderful it is to see…very important info if you happen to be a diabetic. You are amazing!!

131 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2013

I`m glad you find it helpful…I hope to keep posted it for those who need it.

132 Amanda January 19, 2013

I made this for dinner last night right after I saw the post. We loved this dish! The lentils were extremely flavorful and the little bit of broth that was created by the tomato juice was delicious when soaked up with a bun. I will make this again for sure. Thank you!

133 kimmythevegan January 19, 2013

This looks *so* good. I can’t wait to make it.
Mmmm maple syrup =)

134 Dayna January 19, 2013

I wish your approach worked… people would be a lot happier, I’d imagine!! Unfortunately, instead of listening to their bodies, most people are trained that some highly-calculated, expensive approach sold off of a t.v. will make them happy and healthy!

Anyways, this recipe is totally getting pinned to my health/food board. Hearty food is just what I need right now with the cold Kansas City weather!!

135 Lauren January 19, 2013

Yum Angela! Definitely making this tonight ;) I have a random question and I couldn’t find your email to ask you directly… What is the website that you recommend to get bulk from? I know you’ve mentioned it before but I can’t find it. Specifically bulk chia. Thanks for being so amazing!!

136 Weezie January 19, 2013

Hi Angela!

Should the diced tomatoes be drained?

Thanks!

137 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2013

Nope – it says in the directions to add the juice along with the tomatoes. Hope this helps!

138 Gwen January 19, 2013

Made this today it’s yummy! Had to bake it twice as long as the recipe states to get the sweet potatoes soft. Delish!!!

139 Dana January 19, 2013

This looks aaaammmmmazing!! Getting my ingredients and making this ASAP

140 LD January 20, 2013

Hello, I have purchased dry green lentils to make this dish, the packet says I need to soak them for 12 hours or overnight, but your recipe says to just simmer them for 30mins. Do I still need to soak them prior to making this? Thanks.

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2013

Generally lentils do not need to be soaked before hand, although you are welcome to if you`d like!

142 Alex @ Raw Recovery January 20, 2013

To me this looks like it would make a great breakfast burrito, with a good mixture of carbs and protein. Oh please bring on the healthy comfort food dishes!! I’ll start a fan club for you :) Have a great Sunday, Angela!

143 Anna January 20, 2013

So, I made this up and then proceeded to eat it by my self for lunch and dinner two days in a row. We were sitting at McDonald’s where the rest of my family was having their dinner and I said hurry up and finish your meal so I can go home and eat my lentils!!! A recipe I will definitely be making again, thank you!

144 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2013

hah that`s awesome :)

145 Jennifer January 20, 2013

Hi Angela! I’m a long time follower, and first time commenter. You have essentially taught me to cook with your excellent recipes, so thank you for teaching me that there is no bad vegetable, just lots of badly cooked veggies. Anyway, I’ve recently found out that I am sensitive to dairy, eggs, peanuts, and mustard. This recipe looks fabulous, but what would you recommend as a substitute for the mustard? Or, do you think it would be delicious without it? Also, what substitution do you think would work for your cheeze sauce (since I’m sure cheese will be the hardest part of this)? Thanks for your advice, and I can’t wait for your cookbook.

146 KelseyB January 20, 2013

Just made this tonight and it was AWESOME. Seriously delicious and wonderful comfort food for a cozy Sunday indoors. Thanks so much for posting such wonderful recipes.

147 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2013

so glad to hear that Kelsey!

148 Alicia @bakeaholic January 20, 2013

This looks delicious! I am currently loving veggie chili with pumpkin puree!

149 Kristen January 20, 2013

Made this tonight but subbed in some butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes because that is what I had. Cooking time increased quite a bit but it turned out amazing! Thanksagain!!

150 Paula January 21, 2013

Looks amazing! I will definitely try it!

151 Essebella January 21, 2013

This was truly scrumptious to have on a Sunday evening snowed in in London. Really easy too – looking forward to seconds tonight!

152 Wei Jun January 21, 2013

This is absolutely the kind of recipe I hope you’d keep posting more frequently!!!

Simple, easily accessed ingredient, uncomplicated cooking method, healthy and tasty.

I really look forward to making it and for more of such posts to appear on this blog!

Just a feedback and suggestion though, no pressure :)

153 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 21, 2013

This looks so delicious and satisfying. I love it and can’t wait to make it. I’m pinning this one for sure.

154 Jessi January 21, 2013

This looks so yummy, I will be trying it ASAP. I hear you on the juice cleanse. I love juice, I am a huge supporter of it, and I drink one everyday, but spring is a much better time of year to cleanse. I actually tried to host a January cleanse, just to try to get people on board with juice and healthy eating, but we had to postpone it (luckily!) until March. Root veggies, and warm spices are perfect for this time of year! Super warming and awesomely delicious. And right in tune with nature :)

155 Emma January 21, 2013

Made a double batch of this last night for my college house. SO SO good. We didn’t have molasses so we just added more maple syrup, and it still turned out great! We also added some cinnamon and nutmeg, which really took it to the next level.

156 Dee January 21, 2013

Fantastic recipe! I didn’t have sweet potato in the house, and didn’t want to venture out in the snow, so I subbed about 1/3 of a large rutabaga. (Seriously, I can’t get enough rutabaga lately! I just recently discovered it, and can’t believe I went so long without it!) Added about 1/4 tsp of cayenne, but otherwise stuck true to the recipe. Once cooled down for a few minutes I wrapped in some lettuce and ate up!

Your website is fantastic, and I really appreciate what you do for us! I am trying to switch from a vegetarian to vegan diet, and your website provides so much inspiration. Thank you.

157 ELLE B January 21, 2013

oooh… i have never tried a rutabaga! what do you normally use it for? can you eat it cooked or raw? any recipe or suggestions for how to use it? thanks!

158 Dee January 22, 2013

I have never eaten rutabaga raw, but it looks like you can based off of a google search. My favorite way to eat it is cubed up tossed with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and onions, and then roasted at 425F until cooked through, kind of like you would make roasted potatoes. It’s sweeter than a white potato, but kind of has the hint of a brussel sprout flavor in the background. Next I think I will try it whipped up like mashed potatoes!

159 Tasha January 21, 2013

I’m thankful for coming across your blog. I am slowly but faster transitioning to a vegan diet for health reasons-nothing as of yet but a strong family history of cardiovascular disease. With so many resources available, it was rather overwhelming but then found your blog on a random google search for a vegan lunch ideas only to find that you started the new year talking about your transition. Thank you!!

160 ELLE B January 21, 2013

hi! first time commenter here, but i love love love you and your website. thank you for everything you do!

i made this recipe tonight, but something was off for me… i thought maybe it was the vinegar in the recipe, but now i am thinking it is the apple & vinegar combo. (i made sauerkraut with apples a few weeks ago, and that recipe had the same taste…) anyway, i added some cinnamon, and it seemed to help by cutting out the weird sour flavor! any other ideas or suggestions?? can i ask why you added the vinegar/what the purpose of that ingredient is? i am not complaining at all! i love your recipes, it might just be my personal taste like i said. next time i might leave out the apple and see what that does to the flavor…maybe i just don’t like baked apples in savory dishes!

either way, thanks for everything you are and everything you do. you’re an inspiration <3

161 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 22, 2013

Hi Elle, Thanks for your feedback! It could’ve been the ACV that threw you off, I added it to add some brightness to the dish. I love a bit of vinegar to round out the sweetness of the other flavours. Glad that your tweaks improved the flavour to you! I will have to try it with cinnamon next time.

162 Lily - Lirio Style January 22, 2013

Hi Angela – I’m a long time reader but don’t comment too often. I love lentils (and bread) – haven’t cooked lentils in a while, its time to try this recipe soon! :)

163 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 22, 2013

Hi Lily, Thanks for your comment! Hope you enjoy the recipe :)

164 Bonnie January 22, 2013

can’t find the lentil recipe when i click on it/ please help me learn to navigate this new confusing format thx

165 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 22, 2013

Hi Bonnie, I’m sorry we had a technical issue last night – the site should be back to normal now!

166 Sarah January 22, 2013

I’m not even finished cooking this and I already love it!

I live overseas without an oven so I made this recipe on the stove top. Instead of throwing everything into the pot and baking it, I blended the onions, garlic, molasses, syrup, apple cider vinegar, and some cooked butternut squash in a blender.

Oh man, SO GOOD.

167 Erin January 22, 2013

I am just curious… the sweet potato looks so orange in the pics… is there a specific type of sweet potato that you use?

168 allison January 22, 2013

i made this in the crockpot and it was meh. Really not impressed. Just seemed blah. But I know it’s good for me so I ate it. Probably better in the oven. Lentils and some potatoes seemed crunchy still after 10 hours of cooking…

169 Angela January 22, 2013

I made this recipe last night and adored it! (except that I had mommy brain when I read the temperature and tried to cook it at 325 so it took closer to an hour OOPS)
I went Vegan about 2 weeks ago and am living off your blog :)
My husband loves meat so I am simply cooking him meatless Mondays and Fish Fridays to try and reduce his intake. He enjoyed the flavor of this meal but apparently hates the texture of Lentils….WHO KNEW!?
My question is what bean would you use to get this closer to the texture of canned maple beans so I can try it on him next time?
How did you convince Erik to join you in this journey towards a vegan lifestyle? I get alot eye rolling from mine. :P

170 Ann January 22, 2013

Hi Angela,
I just came across your blog and am really liking what I see :) I was wondering – what would you replace lentils with? I have IBS and my intestines are at war with various foods. I love lentils but…. my body doesn’t! I’d love to try this recipe but can’t think of what to replace the lentils with!

A

171 Katie January 22, 2013

I skimmed through the comments to see if anyone had asked this yet, and didn’t see anything so..The mustard- just regular yellow mustard?

172 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 22, 2013

yup just regular :) although Dijon might be nice too…

173 Tania @ Run To Radiance January 22, 2013

Oh my gosh!!! This looks amazing…seriously- stomach is growling. I am loving maple syrup in everything lately…kind of like Elf. ;-/

174 Lisa January 22, 2013

All favorites of mine! And I have to be honest, beautiful grainy bread like that makes the world a better place!

175 Jessie January 22, 2013

Hi Angela,

This looks amazing and I can’t wait to try it! I read you bought this bread a a bakery… WHICH ONE? I live in Toronto and am willing to travel for bread that looks this yummy!

176 Britt Avery January 22, 2013

Since becoming vegan, this is the first dish my husband and I didnt like. BUT, that is not to say others wont! I think I should have added more maple syrup because the apple cider vin was a little too much for my taste. Also, when Angela says that cutting the potatoes smalled to shorten cook time, she means it! Mine were diced about 1/2 in and they were still hard after the recc. cook time. I think the flavors were there, but just some feed back which I know I appreciate. I think I’ll take a whack at it again sometime.

177 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 22, 2013

“snobby joes” (vegan sloppy joes) are probably my favorite comfort food. I could eat them every night- especially when it’s SO cold out like it’s been lately!!
Sorry if someone already asked this- but could you use red lentils? And just cook them for a shorter amount of time?(I’m only asking because I have some in my pantry and want to make this asap!)

178 Becky January 22, 2013

I can’t wait to make this! If I’m using lentils that are already fully cooked, how much should I use? Thanks!

179 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2013

I think 1 cup dry lentils makes about 2-2.5 cups, so I would say you’d need 4-5 cups cooked. enjoy!

180 Misti Stephens January 22, 2013

I made this tonight and it was amazing! I always thought I was a good cook, but I had no idea what I was missing until my fiance and I began eating plant based. I was overrelying on cheese and other dairy products, and completely missing out on amazing flavors like these. Such a great recipe that we will certainly make again.

181 india January 22, 2013

This is the most impressive and delicious meal I have made. This website has been very helpful in teaching me to cook vegan. Thank you!

182 Caddie January 23, 2013

Lol “cellulite cream jeans”! This looks scrumptious, will definitely add to my to do list! :)

183 Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings January 23, 2013

Yum! These looks amazing! I’ve never mixed sweet potatos & lentils so I need to try this mix :)

184 Eloïse January 23, 2013

I wanted to like this so much cause the pictures are so pretty and it looks delicious, but I was disappointed. I have to say I used agave sirop cause I didn’t have maple sirop.. And it turned out way to sweet. I also used half of the vinaigre put it was still to much to my taste… And jeez it took forever to cook! But on a positive note, my meat lover hubby liked it! Might have to try this again with maple and less vinaigre see if I like it better.. It did smell fantastic tho!

185 Eloïse January 23, 2013

I realize I did not use enough lentils cause they were already cooked.. Hat might explain why it was to sweet and to much vinaiger… I use one can and should have used 2… Will have to try this again!

186 Elizabeth January 23, 2013

I made this last night and just ate it for lunch with a flax lavash wrap and chopped up cukes. It was good, maybe not great, but good and hearty and easy. My sweet potatoes did not cook in the allotted time so I had to microwave them at the office today before eating them. Feeling full and healthy!

187 Wendy January 23, 2013

This looks amazing and I plan on making it this week. What is “regular” mustard… The yellow stuff? I am not a fan of that kind.

188 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2013

yup

189 Anna January 23, 2013

This meal was delish! I omitted mustard & molasses and added potato. It was still great! Thanks for a great staple lentil dish!

190 Mary Beth January 23, 2013

This was so delicious, I didn’t have the tomatoes but was so good anyway! Definitely a keeper. Thanks

191 Joy January 23, 2013

Made this tonite…it’s rather sweet…we had a salad with it, but we all think having it over rice would have balanced out the sweet a lot better. It makes a LOT for the 3 of us, so I froze the rest into 2 containers and noted the rice idea on the label….it will come in handy some nite!!

192 Rachelle January 23, 2013

This was easy and Delicious. My one year old son LOVED it and gobbled it up.

193 Jessica January 24, 2013

Angela,

I made this last night and it was DIVINE!!! I wasn’t sure how the combination of flavors would turn out but I was pleasantly surprised….it was both savory and sweet, almost like how baked beans taste. I’m already looking forward to my leftovers today at lunch! :)

194 Mary January 24, 2013

Did my husband go ‘ewwww’ at the thought of lentils for dinner? Yup.
Did I make this recipe anyway? Yup.
Was the result that I got to enjoy maple lentil deliciousness all weekend and not have to share with anyone? Ohhh yes.

Thanks Angela, you’re my legume hero.

195 ilona @aflingwiththevegthing January 24, 2013

In the oven as we speak (type?). I made a double batch…who knew 4 cups of lentils cooks up to so much?? Had to evacuate some from the dutch oven to make it all fit LOL. But it’s all good, just conformation that I need a bigger dutch oven to accommodate the quantities I like to make (I feed my family members and coworkers all the time).
On a side note, I discovered your site not even a week ago and already this is recipe #2 (made the crispy baked tofu two nights ago). Seriously good eats you’ve got here! Thanks :)

196 HANNA January 25, 2013

can i use canned lentils?? what the amount should i use than? thanks

197 Alana January 25, 2013

Hi Angela :)

I have to say, I really enjoy reading your blog – I’m Canadian as well, so that makes your blog even more intriguing! :) I read your posts on a regular basis, however, this is the first recipe that I’ve tried from your blog and it was absolutely scrumptious. Both myself and my boyfriend fell in love with the flavors in this recipe. The only thing I did differently was I added a Macintosh apple instead of Gala, but it worked well. I will definitely make this again….very soon.
Thanks for sharing your recipe!
-Alana

198 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2013

Hey Alana, Lovely to meet you! Thanks for trying out the recipe. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

199 Ann January 27, 2013

You had me at Sweet potatoes but adding lentils? Yep, I am a goner. Love it. It would be nice inside a wrap as well.

200 Suzanne January 28, 2013

Angela- I just made this recipe a few nights ago and absolutely love it! My family enjoyed it too. Thank you so much for your website. I have tried several of your recipes (lentil-walnut apple loaf,potato and black bean burritos, veggie burgers, chocolate, cherry energy bites, chocolate chip cookies, banana soft serve, and probably more….) and I have enjoyed every one of them. Thank you! This is the first time I have posted on your blog- or ANY blog for that matter- and I did because I wanted to let you know you are very inspiring. I have been vegetarian for many years but I am trying to eat vegan and get back into shape. I really believe in the vegan lifestyle but have had a hard time making the switch. Hopefully, with your recipes and inspiration I will finally be able to do it! Thank you!

201 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Hi Suzanne, Thank you so much for your lovely comment! Goodluck with all your goals :)

202 Nicholle January 28, 2013

I made tthis dish this weekend and loved it! I have a lot of left overs…do you think they would freeze ok?

203 AustinJohn January 28, 2013

Is the bread in your pictures of this recipe your Herb and Cheese Whole Wheat Drop Biscuits? Thanks!

204 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Nope, it’s from a bakery! But im sure the drop biscuits would be nice too :)

205 AustinJohn January 29, 2013

Thanks for replying. Your blog is terrific (and yes, “Austin” in “AustinJohn” does mean I’m from Austin, TX, the home of Stubbs BBQ -the sauce you like for your BBQ Tofu – and lots of other cool places, especially for folks who are vegetarian/vegan/plant strong).

206 Cathy January 28, 2013

I made this for dinner tonight!! I followed your recipe exactly! My husband and I both loved it!! Thank you so much for a delicious recipe!! I can’t wait to make it for my grandkids!!

207 Kristin January 28, 2013

Made this last night and ate it tonnight. My lentils were very old and took a long time to finish cooking in the oven. LIke two hours – and extra liquid. Also, I used butternut squash instead of sweet potato. Since my lentils took so long to cook, my squash was basically mush. Not pretty. So I sauteed some red/yellow/orange bell peppers and stirred that in along with some spinach. Just to pretty things up. ;-) I served it over a mix of brown rice and quinoa because that is what I had. In spite of my old lentils, and the changes I made, the recipe came out very delicious. I will definitey make it again, and would recommend it to others. Oh, 1 tbsp of vinegar, and some black pepper worked for us.

208 Stephanie January 29, 2013

I made a double batch of these this weekend and they were a HIT with my very picky husband! I love that there is very little added sweetness the sweet potatoes and apples really liven up this lentil dish. Thanks for sharing…I am in love! :)

209 Stacy January 29, 2013

I made this last night and it was a hit. Especially with the pickier of my two sons, so that is really saying something. He even told me that I can make it again sometime…the highest possible compliment!

210 Amy February 1, 2013

Made this last weekend. After an hour in the oven the sweet potatoes were still rock solid. I was baffled as to how that could be possible. The only thing I could think of was that our casserole dish was too small. I took a couple servings out, added a half cup of water and returned it to the oven to basically re-bake per the instructions above. After that it was fine. So I think my overall comment is to make sure your casserole dish is plenty large! This recipe makes a lot. The flavor was good, and I loved the leftovers for lunch.

211 Shawna February 5, 2013

I made this last night and LOVED it. Definitely in my top 3 favorite homemade meals. I’m not much of a cook so the fact that my husband loved it as well (and didn’t even try to slip any to the dog) says how easy and delicious it was :)

212 WendyinPNG February 6, 2013

LOVE IT! I am using your recipes to ease my family into vegan meals with as little pain as possible. I haven’t mentioned the word “vegan” but instead announce that I am simply “trying a new recipe.” In the past couple of weeks I’ve served raw taco salad, maple baked lentils and sweet potatoes, make ahead veggie burgers, ratatouille inspired summer veg. dish, buckwheat tabbouleh, eggplant parmesan, vegetarian kale soup, and roasted butternut squash with kale. Tonight I made my own version of whole wheat burritos that the family devoured. So far there hasn’t been one single rejection or complaint about the new meals. I am writing down the recipes and keeping them in a notebook so that when we return to our jobs in Papua New Guinea this summer, I will have a family approved, wonderfully nutritious option for our continued healthy eating. THANK YOU! Keep the recipes coming!

WendyinPNG

213 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 7, 2013

Hi Wendy, That is great news!! Good for you. Thanks so much for trying out the recipes. :)

214 Jenn February 11, 2013

Just made this last week….soooo good and yields lots of leftovers. Good plain or on a roll with some BBQ sauce or drizzle of balsamic vinegar. This one got the thumbs-up from my carnivore husband. Thanks for the comfort food sans guilt :)

215 Mandy February 16, 2013

Oh my word. This is how much we loved your recipe. One million thank yous for filling my toddler’s belly with such goodness!

mamamandy.com/2013/02/15/want-your-kid-to-eat-lentils/

216 Kate February 18, 2013

This was delicious! I’ve been wary of making lentils for awhile since my last attempt resulted in an unintentional lentil mush (I called it “soup”). But this turned out great! I love the baked-beans flavor combination combined with the sweetness of apples. It’s a wonderfully warming dish for this cold winter night. Thank you!

217 Kathy March 5, 2013

I have been becoming increasingly obsessed with this recipe since it first popped up on your site. I finally made it today. The flavor is great, but it doesn’t look anywhere as appetizing as your version. I think my mistake was using French green lentils?? I am not really up on my lentils, so I wasn’t sure…didn’t see any in the store that seemed to be just plain green lentils. The ones I used are pretty firm and lend a dark, not-so-pretty look to the dish. What lentils should I look for next time?

218 Elizabeth March 8, 2013

This turned out delicious! However, I had to add an extra half hour to the cook time to cook the sweet potato properly. I cut them pretty small too…

219 Kate March 13, 2013

Before adding in the rest of the ingredients to the lentils, should I drain the water in the pot?

220 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 13, 2013

Hi Kate, there shouldn’t be any water left in the pot, but if there is then yes I would drain it out. Hope this helps!

221 Kandace March 29, 2013

I made this last week in the slow cooker and it turned out really well.

222 Alice April 7, 2013

Made this tonight and OH! MY! HEAVENS! So yummy! Your blog is awesome and I can’t wait to try more of your delicious creations, Angela.
One question for you- have you tried freezing this casserole? If yes, does it freeze well?

223 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2013

Hi Alice, I’m sorry I haven’t tried freezing it yet. I generally find potatoes don’t freeze well, so I’d be hesitant to try it out. So glad you enjoyed it!

224 Payton planiden April 27, 2013

Hello, Angela!! My Math teacher from high school actually turned me on to your blog and I am proud to say that I am glad he did. I have been vegan for about a year now and I could not survive without your blog. I made this last night for my mom and I and boy was it AMAZING. You are so creative with what ingredients you decide to use. The flavors were so good! Oh and I love your enchilada recipe. That is a staple recipe in my house!!

225 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2013

Hey Payton, Im so happy to hear that! Thanks for letting me know :)

226 Payton Planiden April 28, 2013

No problem!! I think your hard work should be recognized! Also, I was wondering what your favorite recipe was? I know it’s kind of hard because you have so many to choose from hahhah but if you could narrow it down to one what would it be?

227 Laurie April 30, 2013

I made this tonight. First, let me say that I am not a fan of lentils…..but I LOVED this. It looked so yummy, and I love sweet potatoes, so I decided to give it a try. It was so delicious and filling. I brought a big container to a friend’s house tonight too, for them to try. Thank you for sharing such healthy recipes!

228 Jessica July 1, 2013

This was a great combo of sweet and savory type flavors. Super good. Sure, it might be better to warm ya up in the winter, but it is great in the summer, too!

229 Carmen July 7, 2013

Thank you so much for this recipe! It has become a favorite of mine. Just made it for my birthday tonight. It freezes well for me too. I just love all these ingredients and how they compliment each other so well, perfection!

230 Heather October 2, 2013

Don’t know how small the sweet potatoes were supposed to be diced, but mine were barely bigger than the lentils and after the maximum time in the oven they are still pretty much raw. Now have nothing to feed my kids for dinner. Be prepared to add a LOT of extra cooking time.

231 Deanna November 12, 2013

Angela,
I am a big fan and follower of your recipes and look forward to getting your cookbook! One request… is it possible to include nutritional information on more recipes? Thanks – Deanna

232 jeanne November 13, 2013

Made this last night — it’s fantastic! I served it over baby greens. It is to DIE FOR! Thanks! :)

233 India December 5, 2013

Eating this now and it’s a treat! I’ve only had lentils in a soup and this is a treat. Thanks for the great recipe!

234 Drea January 16, 2014

This is one of my faves from this site! I add kale or spinach sometimes at the end if I have them (usually when they’re about to go bad). I’m not vegan, so adding a strip of sautéed bacon or a turkey sausage are delicious to add as well (I cook the onions, garlic together with the sausage and then add the apple, lentils, and everything else and into the oven. But if you use bacon start with that instead of olive oil). Definitely recommend roasting the diced sweet potatoes ahead of time for about 20 mins or else I find it takes FOREVER for them to cook through, I usually put them in while I start the lentils, so the timing works well.

235 Tara January 22, 2014

Nice recipe. This was delicious. Easy to make too. Love lentils!

236 Judeen February 14, 2014

Tasty! I can always trust your recipes will be delicious. Have tried
many and enjoyed all of them. Great job!

237 chris March 23, 2014

This trumps lentil loaf! I added cooked frozen corn to
Enjoy sweet crunch with it. Next time I think I will put
In cut up spinach near the end. Also for sure make very.
Small diices with the sweet potatoes. It was filling enough
So I didn’t need bread or anything else with it.
Thanks again Angela for this winner!!!!

238 Tatum March 29, 2014

Hey, was excited to find this recipe until I saw it has tomatoes in it. Can I leave them out or substitute with anything else? (I can’t eat tomatoes). Thanks.

239 Patricia April 4, 2014

I think you could leave them out – they add some tang and moisture, but I bet the flavour would be fine without. If you have a favourite ingredient that fits the bill, give that a try! Just think of anything that would compliment a sweet, earthy dish – there’s no rules :)

240 Patricia April 4, 2014

Thank you so much for putting the nutritional info on this! I’m watching my calorie intake (to keep it in check) and my iron intake (to ramp it up as recommended by my doctor). I cannot express how much this helps me, and how grateful I am for all your efforts on your blog.

241 Jon April 26, 2014

Made this for my wife and I tonight. It was amazing! We used Basmati rice with that Earth Balance butter substitute melted on it and for some reason, this ended up tasting like the best meatloaf I’ve ever had haha. I dont’ know how to explain it, but I’m not complaining either! mmm glad there’s leftovers.

242 Lucy May 8, 2014

I have some Lentils already cooked in the fridge. About how many cups should I use? Should I add some water as well? Thanks!

243 Melissa August 5, 2014

I substituted Buttercup Squash (cut small-peeled and seeded) for the sweet potato. Mmm. Turned out amazing. Great recipe. Thank you. :)

244 Joanna September 2, 2014

I have precooked lentils ready for this recipe. Do I still need the 4 cups of water to put all the other ingredients into? Will this come out containing lots of liquid?

245 Jessica November 6, 2014

Amanda, I am an avid follower, love your story and all of your recipes!

Let’s not worry about nutritional value!

I feel like this is one thing you have shown us! What matters most is that these are healthy, natural, REAL ingredients. Eat until you are satisfied and feel the glow. :)

246 Amanda January 5, 2015

Hi, this looks great. Silly question…is the mustard the one you’d put on sandwiches or the dried mustard (spice). Thanks!!!

247 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2015

Hi Amanda,

It is the regular mustard you would put on sandwiches.

248 Amanda January 7, 2015

Thanks! Making it as I type this. :-)

249 Kathy January 31, 2015

Hi.

Saw your cookbook at a friend’s a couple of days ago and it all looked so good, I have been searching out your recipes since!

We are regular omnivores (I have celiac disease) but I’m trying to add more fruits and veg gradually into our diet, with the hope to make big changes in the long run.

This is the first recipe I’ve tried, simply because I had the ingredients!

It’s wonderful! I added a can of drained chick peas, some garam masala and a few chili flakes for an Indian touch.

I didn’t chop my sweet potato and apple very small so have popped it back into the oven to get even more yummy, while I enjoy a bowl right now. My chef husband loves it and wants it over rice!

Thank you for your inspiration to eat healthier.
Bless you!

250 Ericka September 26, 2015

Loved this! Thank you. I sautéed the onion and garlic in a tsp on coconut oil and doubled the sweet potatoe, apples, and sauce.

251 Dominique November 4, 2015

Hi,
I am a nutritionist and I have a blog that feature information about health, cooking, and recipes. Love your blog and book and recommend you to my clients all the time. I was wondering if it would be OK to feature one of your recipes on my blog. Once it is on the blog, I tweet and feature it on FB. The way I like to do it so it generates traffic for both of us, is I put a pic of the recipe on my blog, the give them a link to your blog to get the full recipes. The blog post will be about you and how wonderful your blog and recipes are. I will also draw their attention to the book.
Please let me know if this is OK with you.
Thank you.
Dominique

252 Jenny November 20, 2015

Just made this recipe and it’s tasty, although a bit sweet. Had issues with getting the sweet potato soft in the time specified. Next time, I will put it in with the lentils on the stove top for a bit before putting in the oven. I may also add less maple syrup and/or molasses. Thanks!

253 Rachel December 1, 2015

I have been wanting to make this recipe for quite awhile and tonight I had all the ingredients on hand so I went for it. It was very good but mine didn’t seem to look like your picture.. It’s not that big of a deal but it was just the ratio of sweet potatoes to lentils.. It seemed like yours has more sweet potatoes than mine did. I didn’t know if I did something wrong like maybe I was supposed to use 2 cups cooked lentils?

254 DeDeNYC December 6, 2015

This was sooooo yum! I don’t have a Dutch oven so I made this in a big cast iron frying pan, which carries the added bonus of providing some high-quality iron in your diet! It also let me cook the lentils on the stove top, mix in the rest of the ingredients, and then put everything right in the oven. Easy-peasey! And ohhhhh was this good. Reminded me of the baked beans that my mom used to make that were usually the beneficiary of a hefty dose of bacon. Now there’s no bacon, no grease, no guilt–just total flavor! Sweet and deep with just the right kick. Made these tonight for a friend, thought she was going to kiss me when she saw the pan coming out of the oven (lol!). Definitely a keeper :)

255 Mary Beth January 16, 2016

I was looking for something filling and nutritious that used sweet potatoes, and remembered this! This is one of my faves from your website
Having a little red wine while the lentils cook, gonna add the sweet potatoes early since I have found they take a long time to cook in the oven. Cold tonight, about 5 degrees, so this will be warm and yummy :)

256 Andrea January 16, 2016

Hi Angela,
I’d like to include this delicious, healthy, seasonal recipe on our blog on our website, I’m sure our customers will LOVE it! Thank you so much! Is this OK with you? We will credit you and link to your blog of course.

257 Stephanie January 18, 2016

Where did you get that lovely bread from? I have never seen anything so beautiful and wholesome looking. Thank you for your response.

Steph