Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

As promised, here are the top 15 recipes that I shared on OSG in 2012. This time, I’ve included some of your reviews just for fun. I probably don’t say this enough, but I appreciate it so much when you take time out of your day to let me know your review of a recipe, whether positive or negative. Not only does it help me improve and learn as a cook, but it helps other readers get a sense of the recipe and find out if any substitutions worked out. Thanks for a great year.

Let the countdown begin…

#15. Raw Taco Salad for Two

Tisha writes, “I just made this entire meal for my family of 6, and everyone loved it – even my kids! The walnut taco filling was fantastic and had a terrific punch of flavor that we have all loved about the veggie ground we used to use. I plan to use this walnut ground for other dishes too – maybe even in a pasta sauce!”

IMG 0645 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

14. Black Bean, Sweet Potato, and Red Quinoa Soup

Julie writes, “I made this last night and everyone was happy. The soup is flavorful enough, with nothing too overpowering (always a concern when using cumin) so that even my 3 year old gobbled all hers right up. The most fun part (for kids…and for grownups too truth be told) was that we each got to decorate our own bowl with the fixins!”

black bean and sweet potato soup 8174 thumb thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

13. Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

Kara writes, “I’m not ashamed to admit that I just ate this for breakfast. Chia before gym = a great workout. Take that PMS!”

IMG 6188 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

12. Chickpea Salad Wraps

Colleen writes, “I’ve been making this recipe since you posted it, and it is great! We make garbanzos/chickpeas in the pressure cooker all the time, so we have them on hand for different recipes. Besides wraps, we’ve had this on salads, and just plain. A keeper!”

IMG 6247 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

11. Slow Cooker Naked Apple Butter

Jeanette writes, “Great recipe! I just made this apple butter and it came out delicious. I love the simplicity of it (just apples!) and the different ways you can use it. I will be making more of this. Thanks for posting this recipe.”

apple butter 6581 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

10. Early Morning Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal

Susan writes, “Had this for breakfast – it was like heaven in a bowl on a cool fall morning. Kept me fueled for hours and thru my am workout.”

peanut butter banana oatmeal 4967 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

9. Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta

Sue writes, “I made this recipe last night. It was amazing!! So light and fresh with tons of flavor. I feel so good after I eat it!”

avocado pasta 3143 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

8. Mini Peanut Butter Cups in a Jar

Robyn writes, “These were so very good…only shared one with hubby….the rest were all mine!!”

IMG 8870 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

7. Layered Salad with Oil-free Orange Ginger Dressing

HD writes, “Made this for lunch this week (packed the salad in five containers and the dressing in a sixth) and really liked it! It’s a super-easy idea for work lunches and it kept me full from 12:00 all the way to 5:00, through my hour-long strength training class and then right up to 7:00 or so when I had a chance to have dinner!”

IMG 7494 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

6. Spicy BBQ Chickpea Burgers and Baked Crispy Fries

Renee writes, “I made these last night…SO GOOD! Whenever I make something from your blog, my husband always asks if the recipe comes “husband approved” (like the crispy tofu!). Whether or not these were approved by your husband, these were approved by mine!”

veggieburger thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

5. Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip

Vivienne writes, “I just made this, and it is unbelievably delicious!! I was too lazy to make cashew butter, so I used peanut butter instead. Kids loved it too! I could just eat this all day…”

IMG 0208 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

4. Glazed Lentil Walnut Loaf revisited

Natalie writes, “Just wanted to let you know I made this last night. I had made the lentils the night before so I had to chop and put together. I changed the glaze a bit – I made it with ketchup, brown sugar, water and dry mustard. It was good last night, but absolutely phenomenal for lunch today (as I type this). I think next time I’ll make it on the weekend when I have more time so I can just heat it up one night for dinner. Easy and delicious.

PS – I was really surprised how similar to a meatloaf this is. My boyfriend commented that you almost get the same texture as with ground beef! But so much better for you!”

Lentil Loaf 2 3 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

3. All Natural Pumpkin Butter from Scratch

Andrea writes, “Just made this deliciousness this morning!! Out of this world good! I just had a baby and am excited at how good the puréed sugar pumpkin was all by itself! Baby will love it!”

homemade pumpkin butter 50721 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

2. Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

Suzie writes, “Have cooked this butternut squash recipe twice in a week- my husband adores it. The nut Parmesan is fabulous and I will use it on a multitude of other dishes- thank you.”

roasted butternut squash 6513 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

1. Creamy Pumpkin Pie Smoothie for Two

Cassidy writes, “I made this and drank the whole thing in one sitting. Oh my sweet Jesus, was it GOOD. Thanks for sweetening up my Halloween with this treat.”

pumpkin pie smoothie 5036 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Recipes of 2012

For #16-30 in 2012, please see this post.

10% off – Oriya Organics

In other news, I want to let you know about a new sponsor of the site – Oriya Organics – a business dedicated to creating certified organic, non-gmo, vegan, and raw whole food supplements. I’m personally a big fan of their Super Green Medley powder and use it several times per week for a quick nutritional boost.

Oriya is offering a 10% discount for Oh She Glows readers this month! Just enter the coupon code sheglows to receive 10% off your order. Additionally, shipping in Canada and the US is FREE in January and you’ll also receive a free shaker bottle with your order.

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife January 14, 2013

Love the creamy avocado spaghetti squash pasta! So good!!

Rose January 14, 2013

I knew that pumpkin smoothie was a winner! Also, hi :) I’m a longtime reader but seldom commenter – just wanted to say that I think you’re super inspiring and after a lot of prodding, I’ve finally set up my own little blog. So, so thrilled to finally be joining this healthy living community! Thank you, Angela!

Becky January 15, 2013

Great list! Angela, I would also love to see a list of your personal favorite recipes from the last year.

Lauren (@poweredbypb) January 15, 2013

That peanut butter oatmeal was delicious! I am going to make the pumpkin smoothie this morning!

Isa from Québec January 15, 2013

I discovered your blog last Fall and I’ve been a real addict since!! Love the innovative recipes and all the pictures… I’ve been talking to all my friends about your avocado pasta sauce (amazing!!!).
I am so in love with the pumkin pie smoothie; good choice for number one! I’m not a vegan but I like to eat different kinds of meals all week long. I got to try your chickpea wraps et lentil loaf!

Thank you!

P.S. Sorry for my english

Julia January 15, 2013

Those all look delicious but that taco salad looks especially great!

Aimee January 15, 2013

Such a timely summary! I made the chickpea salad wraps on Sunday for lunch. Quick, easy and sooo good. I’m having leftovers for lunch today. We add a little bit of jalepenos (pickled or fresh) to give it a little heat. YUM! Thanks for the inspiring recipes – keep them coming!

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen January 15, 2013

I haven’t had the chance to make any of these recipes yet, but I’m totally planning on doing it soon…especially the pumpkin pie smoothie, peanut butter cup in a jar, and the peanut butter banana oats! Yuuuuuum!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul January 15, 2013

These all look so seriously delicious~I’m especially intrigued by the taco salad! And your burger looks so fat! haha but in a good way.

jo @ including cake January 15, 2013

I love the way you’ve brought you’re readers into your roundup. That, alongside your how-to posts creates such a great community spirit which I feel is really coming across so well recently. Good work!

Alex @ Raw Recovery January 15, 2013

Thanks for doing this recap! I always love these posts because I can catch up on recipes that I forgot about or missed in the first place! I’m eying that chickpea salad wrap…oh boy does that look good!

Sarah@ Making Thyme for Health January 15, 2013

I love the lentil loaf! So great to make on a weekend and save for those busy week days.

Kelly @ Vegan Iowan January 15, 2013

The Glazed Lentil Walnut Loaf Revisited is one of the very first recipes I made as a vegan…it showed me that I can still make amazing food my family appreciates while being so much healthier and cleaner. That one recipe has led me to cook countless wonderful vegan meals since! Thank you!

Michelle January 15, 2013

Angela, thanks for the year in review. Can’t wait to try the creamy avocado spaghetti squash pasta. It looks delicious! Can you tell us more about the supplements you take and how often you use them? Thanks, love the blog;)

Katie January 15, 2013

The pb-banana oatmeal makes we want to get out of bed earlier in the morning. There aren’t many things that can do that! The smell of the bananas in the coconut oil awesome!

Butterfingers January 15, 2013

The raw taco salad looks really good….
A quick question about the pb cups though , I made CCK’s chocolate bar pie but it had a tiny bit of an aftertaste….I used mori-nu and while my non soy drinking testers thought it was delicious….I wasnt too impressed….My QUESTION is whether there is an aftertaste in the pb cups too…they look really good though!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2013

Hey there – I don’t recall there being an aftertaste in the cups.

Butterfingered January 16, 2013

k thanks!

Meredith January 15, 2013

I’ve made the chocolate chia pudding and the creamy avocado spaghetti sauce – both super yum! I really need to make that lentil loaf soon – it’s been on my “to make” list forever!!

Vegan Radhika SArohia January 16, 2013

Awesome list!
I’m girl with a major sweet tooth and I think my favourite OhSheGlow recipe so far is the chocolate torte, the no-bake one made from avocado, that thing is amazing!!
[Maybe this list does not include desserts or something? Or how did that not make it on here haha]
From this collection above I really want to try the kale almond pecan butternut squash:)

Laura January 16, 2013

I wanted to mention my fav recipe of yours – from 2011 – the 5-ingredient Cheeze sauce. I make this all the time! I love it. Last night I had it over spiralized carrots and zucchini. mmm.

Samantha January 17, 2013

Yummy!!

I made both the lentil loaf and the peanut butter cups for a dinner party last night for a bunch of my friends who aren’t vegan. By the end of the night one of the couples announced they were inspired, and going vegan too! (except for bacon).

Doug January 17, 2013

Vegan or not, each of these us absolutely delish. To be honest I’m just starting to work my way towards a vegan diet (I’m trying out a lot of different diets these days just to see what might fit my pallet best) and these have been on the top of my list for the past few days. I have a bit of a sweet tooth so went straight for the chocolate pudding and apple butter first. My review? Wow. If you haven’t done this yet, go for it now. AWESOME for healthy eating for kids as well!

Marla January 17, 2013

So many great recipes from last year. Thanks Angela. How did the Summer Hemp Power Salad not make it though?? That one was also amazing and was a go at my house. Can’t wait for the cookbook to come out!!!

MargoRed January 19, 2013

A little late asking this question, but with the veggie burgers do you use short, medium, or long grain brown rice? Or does it even matter?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2013

Oh hmmm, good question! I think I use short grain…but could be medium too.

Erin January 23, 2013

Would love to hear more about the Oriya supplements. Do they actually taste good? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2013

The green powder does not taste good, lol. I just mix it with water and chug it….I think im just weird!

Missy January 25, 2013

I chug my spirulina powder with straight water too! It tasted kinda strong at first but now I’m getting used to it. That super green medley mix with spirulina, chlorella, wheatgrass and barleygrass sounds good, I will have to try it out! Thanks Angela!

marilyn August 13, 2013

Hi my name is Marilyn I am a new mommy to a beautiful 9 month baby girl and I am trying to lose weight and be healthy. So I am a new vegan and your stuff makes it easy for me to be vegan with all my cravings for the old junk food I use to eat lol so thank you and please keep blogging new recipes :D

Anya @ Blallywood August 25, 2013

These look so fancy. I love the way you emulate non-vegan recipes by using things like walnut Parmesan. It has the same appearance of food containing meat, but a much better alternative.

Jeff September 14, 2013

I would love to go vegan (I did for two months and never felt better in my life), but it is just too time consuming! It takes an enormous commitment as many of the recipes have a list of ingredients that are a mile long! Add to that the time it takes to prepare the dishes, and one will soon find themselves reverting back to their old eating habits. Wouldn’t it be great if there was a vegan fast food chain!!!

Toney October 4, 2013

Black Bean, Sweet Potato, and Red Quinoa Soup
looks simply amazing! Thanks for sharing, going to make this asap!!

Toney.

Johanna @ Vegetarian Made Easy November 21, 2013

These recipes all look so good! I will definitely be trying some out, especially the chocolate chip cookie dough dip. Yum! :)

Dennis March 1, 2014

I love the Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan dish! I would make it again! Thank you for the great list!!!

Off the Couch and Running March 31, 2014

I am a truck driver trying to eat vegan while on the road and was wondering what recipes could you recommend for someone like me who has no access to a stove, oven and refrigerator. I do however have my vitamix with me. my job keeps me moving so im usually in time crunch…any thoughts? ideas or suggestions?

Page 2 of 2«12