Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap

homemade oat milk 0134 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap

When I mentioned that I was working on a homemade milk post many of you asked for a low-cost and nut-free homemade milk recipe. I decided to put myself to the challenge. Homemade Oat Milk, it is!

First, I’ll show you how I made it with step-by-step photos and at the end of my post I’ll share my thoughts on flavour, price, texture, and overall pros and cons.

homemade oat milk 0106 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap

Ingredients I used:

• 1 cup steel-cut oats
  • 3 cups filtered water
  • 1.5-2 tbsp pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener or pitted dates), to taste
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • scant 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt (enhances flavour)
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (optional, but nice)

Click here to email, text, or print this recipe.

You will also need a blender (any blender should work as we don’t need to blend the oats super smooth), a fine sieve, a large bowl, a small bowl, and measuring spoons/cup. I haven’t tried this oat milk with cheesecloth or a nut milk bag yet, but if anyone does please leave a comment and let us know how it goes.

Don’t let all the step-by-step photos fool you into thinking this is lengthy to make – it takes just 5 minutes once your oats are soaked.

Step 1: Rinse and drain 1 cup of steel-cut oats. I’ve heard you can also use oat groats. Place oats into a bowl and cover with water. Soak for around 20 minutes. You can soak longer (even overnight) if desired. Not only does soaking help soften the oats, but it also makes them easier to digest.

homemade oat milk 0107 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap

Step 2: After soaking, rinse and drain the oats very well. This step is very important because you want to rinse off any of the oat slime that has occurred from soaking. Yes, oat slime is a thing…it happens.

Step 3: Scoop oats into your blender and add 3 cups water. I prefer using 3 cups of water as opposed to 4 cups because it yields a creamier/thicker milk. Feel free to add more water if you wish, just know the more water you add the thinner your milk will be.

Step 4: Cover with lid and turn the blender on a low speed, increasing the speed gradually, and blend at the highest speed for about 8-10 seconds only. You don’t need to completely pulverize the oats.

homemade oat milk 0108 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap homemade oat milk 0110 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap

Step 5: Place a fine sieve over a large bowl and pour the oat milk very slowly into the sieve. You might have to do this in a couple batches depending on the size of your sieve.

homemade oat milk 0111 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap homemade oat milk 0113 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap

Step 6: With a spoon, gently push down on the oat pulp so the milk flows through. This helps push the milk into the bowl, leaving the oat pulp behind in the sieve.

homemade oat milk 0115 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap homemade oat milk 0120 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap

Step 7: Scoop the oat pulp into a small bowl and set aside. Clean out your blender and sieve with a good rinse of water until no pulp residue remains.

Step 8: Place sieve over top of your blender and pour the milk in once again and strain.

homemade oat milk 0123 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap homemade oat milk 0125 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap

As you can see in the bottom left photo, straining twice gets even more pulp out yielding a smoother milk. I usually strain it 3 times or so, but it’s not necessary if you are time-crunched.

Step 9: Rinse out the bowl and sieve once again. Strain the milk through the sieve into the bowl (optional). If you don’t want to strain again, simply add in your mix-ins and blend on low.

homemade oat milk 0126 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap homemade oat milk 0127 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap

Step 10: I whisked in 1.5 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt (enhances sweetness), and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. These mix-ins turn your oat milk from bland to hmm-this-could-be-decent-when-cold.

homemade oat milk 0129 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap homemade oat milk 0130 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap

Step 11: I strained my milk one last time into a clean blender. Then I poured the milk from the blender into a clean mason jar for storage in the fridge. Note: Homemade milk does separate (remember there are no added emulsifiers!), so be sure to give your milk a very good shake (or stir) before using. No biggie. A little non-dairy milkshake never hurt anyone. I just don’t want you to be alarmed when you see the heavier ingredients sitting at the bottom of the jar.

This should last in the fridge in a sealed container/jar for 4-5 days. Use it in smoothies, oatmeal, cereal, baking, or drink it straight. If you want to use it in a savoury recipe, you can omit the sweetener, vanilla, and cinnamon.

homemade oat milk 0132 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap homemade oat milk 0136 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap

Taste Report:

The flavour of this oat milk is much like I expected; it tastes like oats. Shocking, I know. The biggest challenge I had when testing this recipe was getting it creamy enough. I tried 1/2 cups steel-cut oats with 4 cups water and then 3/4 cups steel-cut oats with 3 cups water. I found both end results to be too watery. Using 1 cup of steel-cut oats to 3 cups of water was my favourite ratio (so far). If you play around with the recipe, I’d love to hear your versions too.

Keeping in mind that this homemade milk is free of emulsifiers and thickeners, I was fairly impressed with the texture. Is it just like store-bought milk? Of course not, but I do think it’s a decent option with a clean ingredient list. It’s much easier on the wallet too!

PROS:

• Very low cost (a batch using steel-cut oats cost me about 50 cents – or less if you can get a deal on oats)
  • Nut-free so good for those with allergies
  • Quick to make
  • You don’t need a nut milk bag or cheesecloth
  • Clean up was easy, even with all the spilling I seem to do…
  • Decent, but not mind-blowing, flavour

CONS:

• Not as creamy compared to homemade almond milk
  • Slightly watery (although this is improved when using 3 cups water instead of 4)

All in all, I feel that the pros outweigh the cons with this homemade oat milk. It’s so cheap to make and that is a huge plus for me. I personally don’t drink much milk by the glass so I think this will be just fine when added to cereal, smoothies, oatmeal, etc. But so far, I’ve been sipping the jar straight from the fridge, letting out satisfied mmm’s and dribbling milk down the front of my shirt. Eric, as always, is quite confident he married a weirdo.

Update: I tried the milk with some Nature’s Path cereal and it tasted a bit like cinnamon toast crunch, probably thanks to the cinnamon in the milk. yummy!

I also made a trial using cooked steel-cut oats and the milk turned out super slimy. I didn’t rinse the oats after cooking, but maybe I should have? I’m going to stick with the non-cooked method.

Odds are that some of you won’t like this milk at all, but it’s also likely that some of you will really enjoy it and appreciate this as a cheap, at-home alternative to the store-bought stuff. I’m quite anxious to see what you think and I welcome your feedback in the comments!

homemade oat milk 0135 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap

What can you do with the leftover oat pulp? I suggest saving it and mixing it into oatmeal and smoothies. If you have a dehydrator, I assume you could also dehydrate the pulp and then pulverize it in a blender to make flour. If anyone has any other ideas, leave ‘em below.

homemade oat milk 0139 thumb   Homemade Oat Milk – Easy, Fast, Cheap

Have you ever made homemade oat milk or tried a store-bought version? Do you make your own milks at home? If so, what’s your favourite recipe?

Catching up in this series? See: Vegan How To: Introduction (Why this series?), Part 1: How To Make The Transition, Part 2: Replacing Dairy

Aimee January 10, 2013

Angela, I am really enjoying your Vegan How To series. Thank you for this recipe. I am anxious to try it especially after your previous post with the information about carrageenan. I’ve since done a little more reading on the topic. Yesterday while grocery shopping I was disheartened to find that every brand of almond milk carried by my local supermarket had carrageenan in the ingredient list.

Carie January 10, 2013

Bummer! Your grocery store doesn’t have Silk Pure Almond? It doesn’t have carrageenan.

Aimee January 10, 2013

I didn’t see it, but I’ll check again. I will also be making a trip to Whole Foods this week and I know I will find more options there. Thanks Carie.

Klaine January 30, 2013

Hello, I have made many meals and desserts from your recipes. They were all delicious. Anyway, I would like to point this out that there is GMO in Silk. I buy Blue Diamond which is GMO-free!

Nikki May 11, 2013

I don’t like to promote Silk since it’s owned by Dean Foods, but their almond milk IS non-gmo.

Bruna January 10, 2013

I’m really enjoying the series too!!! thanks

Julie January 11, 2013

Silk Milk is not without it’s controversy since it is now owned by Dean Foods.

Chelsea August 1, 2013

I love almond milk, too! One thing you should keep in mind when buying Almond/Oat/Soy/Rice/Coconut milk in cartons is that they each contain added synthetic vitamins to “enrich” (such as Vitamin A Palmitate, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin D2, etc). These have shown to actually deplete your body of the vitamins it needs as they are isolated vitamins (your body does not recognize them as vitamins), and actually keeps your body from ingesting the vitamins naturally occurring in the almonds/oats/coconut in the milk. It is a way for them to be competitive in marketing against dairy milk – but is very unhealthy for us in the long run. These milks are very nutritious by themselves without the added isolated vitamins! I got excited when I saw Silk Almond Milk didn’t have carrageenan in it, but when I researched what those isolated vitamins did to our bodies, I opted to start making my own milk at home. Luckily, if you can find canned versions of these milks (I’ve only found coconut milk in this form so far), they won’t have the carrageenan or synthetic vitamins in it. Sorry to be the barer of bad news! All natural is always better. :-) Thanks again for this awesome oat milk recipe! Can’t wait to try it!

Sarah October 12, 2013

Hi, We don’t like carragean and fillers, so we use Rice Dream milk and love it! We buy the large half gallon size and can even water it down buy half and it still tastes great not too watery. Of course, the rice milk is a cooked product not raw.

Vicky January 28, 2014

Hi Sarah,
I’m sorry to tell you research now indicates rice milk contains huge amounts of arsenic (yes, the poison!). Actually, rice in all forms does. I have excluded rice milk from our menu and limit rice to very little a week. Google “Arsenic in rice” and you’ll see!

jonhn February 25, 2014

but doesn´t rice dream belong to monsanto?

Ali July 2, 2014

Chelsea,
I completely agree with you that natural is always better, and I’m trying to find some research studies to support this concept of decreased assimilation of nutrients with synthetic vitamins. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find anything in peer-reviewed literature. You mention that you’ve researched this — have you come across any studies?
Thanks!
A

Herbivore Triathlete January 10, 2013

I’ve never tried oat milk but am a fan of oatmeal, so would most likely enjoy it. I’m not a big milk by the glass drinker, so would most likely add it to my cereal or baking. I would most likely leave out the spices if using for soup or something as well. It would definitely be used at my house and I do have a large container of steel cut oats in my cupboard…

I agree with Aimee, I’m really enjoying this series. It’s so helpful and I love the discussions going on in the comments section.

Tanya @ playful and hungry January 11, 2013

Oatmilk is great with cereals! Yummy!

Shauna January 10, 2013

I am a breastfeeding mama and when I got the beginnings of thrush my naturopath suggested making oat milk, but from whole oat groats. There is some compound in the whole oat groat that fights the fungus that causes thrush. It really did work. So there is another bonus of oat milk- although you have to use the whole groat which is harder to find. I thought the taste wasn’t great but I like your idea of adding cinnamon. Next time I will try that!

StarvingArtist February 11, 2013

Hi, I don’t know anything about that particular remedy, but I’m curious about why whole oat groats would work and not steel-cut oats, since steel-cut oats are oat groats that have been cut with a sharp blade. Especially since it all goes in the blender anyway. Does anyone know anything about this?
Also, I am excited to try this recipe, oats soaking right now. Cheap+healthy+vegan=yay

sigrid June 6, 2013

maybe the component in the whole grain is broken down when it comes in touch with oxygen?

Jaime January 10, 2013

Can you do one on almond milk too??? Pretty please?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013

Yup that’s coming up :)

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 10, 2013

^ Yay!! I wanna make that one too :D

Kimberly Andresen-Reed January 11, 2013

I made homemade almond milk for the first time this week, and it is SO much better than store bought. I actually don’t like the taste of store bought almond milk very much (I thought it tasted too almond-y) and usually just used it for baking and smoothies, but the homemade has a great natural warmth and sweetness to it, and much more closely resembles cow’s milk in flavor, though I would prefer almond milk all day compared to cow’s milk.

sus January 19, 2013

Question about both the oat milk and the almond milk: is straining necessary? If the vitamix can pulverize the oats and almonds, why not leave [what I think is fiber] in it? It a matter of preference or is there more to it?

Thanks for this site, i’m really loving it!

Traci July 10, 2013

Hi, Sus. I make a couple batches of almond milk every week. If it weren’t strained, it would be very difficult to drink or even use on cereal as the particles left behind (even with a Vitamix blender, which is what I use) would cause you to choke. Think “chaulky,” only worse. If you plan to use your almond or oat milk for baking only, I’m sure the straining would not be necessary. I use a nut milk bag for both oat and almond milk. The pulp can be used in many ways, so it is definitely not wasted. As I am just now seeing your post, I hope that you have been successfully making your own milk by now.

L August 10, 2014

hehe, I have made my first batch of almond milk without straining (i stopped reading the instructions a bit early,,, oops) and i couldn’t stop drinking it, on top of that I had doubled the dry ingredients to a single quantity of water so mine was thicker than it should have been and just a smidgin chewy at the end of the mouthful,,, but i didnt find it at all difficult to drink, I couldnt stop myself from going back for another 10 gulps!! it was a little “pulpy” (not really what you ‘envision’, the words sound worse than the reality,,, more a little sediment) but i really love my orange juice pulpy so i could say from my own first experience it does not make you choke (thats pretty extreme imagery there Traci) or chalky. Any on top of that you dont have to worry about using the leftovers. Just blend a little longer if you dont want to strain!! And shake. Still delicious, no chalk, no choke, no joke!!!! haha.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh January 10, 2013

I’ve never made my own before but you’ve got me curious. I might just get ambitious this week! Thanks Angela!

Brittany January 10, 2013

Do you think this milk is a good substitute for us vegans fighting candida? Of course, I would make it without the maple syrup, probably use stevia instead, but do you think the carbs in the oat themselves would feed those yeastie beasties?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013

I’m sorry I don’t know enough about candida to comment on that. I would talk to your doctor and/or do some research online. Goodluck!

Deb January 20, 2013

Brittany, I have suffered from recurrent yeast infections and the one thing that works for me is 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar in a glass of water every morning. I know this is nothing to do with oat milk but I thought I’d throw it in there!

Amy Garcia April 5, 2013

While I agree whole-heartedly about the Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. It really is wonderful! I saw above that someone mentioned using oat milk for thrush which if I am correct, is caused by candida. I am not completely certain but I do believe it is some sort of a yeast imbalance. I think that the oat milk is totally worth trying for it as I don’t feel that it is extremely yeast-feeding. Also kefir – both water and milk – are great against candida. Be well!

Lisa Driscoll January 22, 2013

look into apple cider vinegar, Bragg’s especially for candida.

Angelica March 5, 2013

My sister is currently on a candida diet. Make sure you are having aloe vera whenever possible, and coconut oil. All great in fighting candida.

L August 10, 2014

Candida, your diet is very high in acids. Perhaps you’re eating too much grain based food? You need to up your raw vegetables, reduce processed foods, eliminate at the very minimum “white’ grains or just reduce them… base your diet on a minimum 80% raw fruits and vegetables. The natural sugars in fruits do not contribute to candida. Sugars in processed foods do, along with grains, etc. I used to suffer in my late teens but I was barely eating any vegetables at one stage. I know a lot of people who complain of candida and their diets are “quick and easy” packet type stuff, they barely eat raw fruit, they barely touch raw vegetables. Vegetables are alkalising. The counteract the acidity of a “modern” fast food type diet. Feeling peckish? Stay out of the chips / dry goods snacks cupboard. Reach in the fridge for 3-4 celery sticks, leaves and all. (Your taste buds change! And you don’t feel hungry when you consume the minerals your body is craving. You will never get teh minerals you need eating a refined, processed, grain based diet. It actually robs your body of vitamins and minerals, leading to deficiencies and a compromised immune system that cannot help “stave off” things like infections like candida, and you will continually get it again and again until you address your raw fruit and vegetable intake and make it the basis of your every day diet.) It’s not one particular food that “stops” candida / yeast / thrush. Its the fact that your diet is completely inadequate and robbing your body of it’s functioning and immunity. You need to stop your behaviour and change it to support your body’s functions. This does not come with fish oils or one type of food. It comes with modifying your processed and refined foods eating patterns. But don’t just take my word for it, try it for yourself, over a period of 3 months. Then go back to how you were eating before that for one month, and see the truth for yourself. No expensive superfoods or pharmaceutical “pills” required to magically solve the problem (and contribute to others!). Just raw fruits and vegetables. Eat ‘em till you’re stuffed! Daily! You will see the difference and never get this infection (or other infections) again, because you’re eating to support your immune system, not overload / chock it up with rubbish! Keep a record of everything you put in your mouth for a week, before changing your diet, keep records of this too, then go back and compare. I hope you have the strength to cut the crap :)) it takes time to change but candida will be a forgotten word eventually. No processed take aways! And no alcohol! No refined sugar added anything! Even one slip up with sugar / alcohol can make you feel it robbing your body of its immunity the very next day!!!!! Dont do it!!!! Honey is an excellent alternative for home cooking (even if from bees – but it is a powerhouse food), that will not contribute to candida and actually is such a superfood for the body it is amazing. Raw unprocessed honey (buy from local bee keepers or markets they frequent), not store bought commercial cooked honeys which are acid and “dead” and do nothing for your body’s system. Stevia (not the refuned white crap – the herb that is green and leafy and you crumble it into your food) will give you a glow and not contribute to thrush. Hope this helps, and I would love to hear your results. I am talking from my own experience.

Katie Fucito January 10, 2013

I’ve never tried to make or even tasted oat milk!
One kind of milk I did try to make in the past was rice milk. It. Was. So. Gross. I actually followed a recipe published in a certain green cookbook… It was made with cooked brown rice. So slimy, bland, and watery. Ugh. I have to admit that experience made me never want to try to make my own milk again, but I think you changed my mind – I must try this! It looks wonderfully creamy and I love that there are no mystery ingredients!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013

I did try a version with cooked steel cut oats and I also found the milk was very slimy. I will stick with just soaking and rinsing the oats before blending and no cooking. Although, maybe if I would’ve rinsed the oats after cooking that would help…
let me know how it goes if you try it!

Shundara@ SavyNaturalista January 10, 2013

I did not know you could use steel cut oats to make milk I wonder what it would taste like I am going to half to try this recipe thanks…

Rita January 10, 2013

Growing up , my mother, would make a drink of this. I donut now for my kids. We add more water to thin it out. It almost looks like an HORCHATA (Mexican rice drink). Anyway, you serve it with lots of ice in your glass. Very refreshing! It wouldn’t last more than a day in our fridge because it was so yummy!

Vicki January 10, 2013

Oh how I LOVE horchata :)

Christine @ Shot Bun January 10, 2013

I love how cheap it is to make – a definite bonus! I never drink milk by the glass (even before I went vegan). Once and a while I will have a small glass to dunk cookies in, but that’s it. This oat milk looks so creamy…maybe I’ll be drinking it from the fridge as well! Do you think quick GF oats would work? I’ll have to try it out..

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013

I tried a version with rolled oats and the taste was very similar. Maybe a touch more watery tasting, but I could barely notice the difference when side by side. I’m sure GF oats would work too.

Meg January 11, 2013

GF Oats do not get as much slime on them. maybe you wouldn’t need to soak them as long?

Becky January 10, 2013

I saw you mentioned no more than 10 seconds on high in the blender, but what was the total blending time you used? I don’t want to over-blend. I can’t wait to try this!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013

It was maybe 10-15 seconds MAX, I’d say more like 10 seconds total. Sorry for the confusion!

Andrea @ Vegvacious January 10, 2013

I was really surprised to see what a simple and clean ingredient list this milk had. I always had the impression making your own ‘milk’ was really complicated, but this looks SO easy. I will definitely be trying and will let you know how it goes!!!

Josephine January 10, 2013

I’m such a lazy person, I eat my oats soaked in a little hot water. No milk, no cooking, and I still like it (with some sugar) :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013

hah well that works too!

Shana January 11, 2013

I do that but with warm milk. I like how the oats keep some texture and don’t get so mushy. It’s not lazy…its delicious!

Kat January 11, 2013

I put cold unsweetened almond milk on the rolled oats and let it soak for about 10 minutes then eat. Yummy!!! They already have a natural sweetness to them and taste so good!

Shana January 11, 2013

Exactly! No need to wait for overnight oats either!

sus January 19, 2013

Have you tried making oatmeal with organic apple juice? I tried it last week for the first time, all I can say is YUM! (higher calories makes it a occasional treat, not every day)

helenbeee June 26, 2013

@ tablespoons of low fat greek yogurt just before eating makes for the creamiest of oats my husband cant get enough of them…..and my bread ;)

Lauren B January 10, 2013

I tried making oat milk once but with old fashioned oats. It was super watery and had that slimy feel that oats get when they are cooked. It was pretty gross.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013

Interesting…did you soak the rolled oats and if so did you rinse them after soaking? I found that when I didn’t rinse them after soaking it produced a slimy milk.

Lauren B January 10, 2013

I don’t know if I rinsed them. I followed a recipe off the internet. Pretty much the only thing I remember about it was how gross it was. I may have done it wrong, or it may have been my cheap blender.

Blu January 10, 2013

Hi, with the leftover you can make an oat plumcake.

byMichaela January 25, 2013

recipe please x

Margaret June 23, 2014

I never heard of oat plum cake before, but sounds good. Is there a recipe?

Margaret June 23, 2014

PS: I can hardly wait to get some oats to try this. Thank you for your simple and pictorial instructions!

lynn @ the actor's diet January 10, 2013

i just got a new blendtec so i’m excited to make this – curious about what to do with that oat pulp though…

Michelle January 10, 2013

I found this one post from a Polish vegan blog, where the author shared “quickest” recipes for plant milks. They are pretty much all made same way :

coconut milk

1 cup grated coconut (soaked 1-2 hours.) + 4 cups of water. Grated coconut doesn’t not need to rinsed, you can mix with water.

Cashew Milk

1 cup cashew (soaked for at least 2-3 hours.) + 4 cups water

rice milk

1 cup rice (soaked. for about 3 hours.) + 4 cups water

sesame milk

1 cup sesame seeds (soaked for at least 4-6 hours.) + 4 cups water

Sunflower milk

1 cup of sunflower seeds (soaked for at least 6-8 hours.) + 4 cups water

oat milk

1 cup oats or oatmeal soaked. for 8 hours.) + 4 cups water

almond milk

1 cup peeled almonds (soaked. for 8-12 hrs.) + 4 cups water

And here are some useful images : http://weganie.blogspot.com/2011/09/domowe-mleko-migdaowe.html

If someone is interested in this text then “google translate” should do it Polish – English.

Ana January 10, 2013

I make oat milk just like you do (with cinnamon, salt and sweetener), except I use cooked oats.. It does not come out slimy though.. In fact, it’s quite creamy!

To be exact:
- I soak 1/2 cup of oats in water overnight (I use those that are cut the least)
- then drain the water/rinse them
- then boil 1 cup of water
- then add the oats and cook for 10 minutes, until they soak up all the water
Than I add 3 cups hot water and proceed just like you wrote in the post.
Then, if needed, I add more water.

Sometimes I also add strawberries or sour cherries into the blend – the sourness goes well with the creamy and “full” taste of the oats :)

Sylvia January 10, 2013

I am going to try it this way! Thanks!

Gina March 12, 2013

…did you ever try with the cooked oats and hot water? I tried your recipe yesterday and today I tried it again without rinsing… both times I DID NOT like the taste: too “grassy” maybe if the oats had been toasted? I don’t know. Personally, I REALLY LIKE Pacific brand Original Oat Milk–no Carageenan or added sugars–the one thing I did notice in their ingredients list was the addition of Oat Bran. Maybe that makes a difference? I can’t stand to pay the $3+/liter because we’ve been going through 8-9 liters/wk with lattes and cooking! Yikes! So, I’m looking for a recipe that mimics the taste of store bought Oat Milk. Advice?

jodye @ chocolate & chou fleur January 10, 2013

Thanks for this awesome tutorial! I’m a big fan of oat milk but sometimes find the store bought brands a bit too sweet for my liking. I love that I can control the sweetness (along with the other ingredients) here. I think some cinnamon raisin oat pulp crackers would be a wonderful use for the oat pulp.

Willow January 10, 2013

I’ve never tried making my own milk, but have been really curious to try almond milk… I’d never heard of oat meal before reading this, though, and it sounds like a great idea! I typically buy a lot of rice milk because my fiance is a little sensitive to other kinds, so I wonder if this might be a good (cheaper) alternative. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel B January 10, 2013

I’ve never tried oat milk but I definitely would like to try this!! It sort of reminds me of a less – sweet horchata which is delicious! Thanks for the recipe Ange :)

Georgia January 10, 2013

What about using the leftover pulp in homemade bread? Just an idea–

Lea January 10, 2013

I make oat bread every week and I thought I would substitute the water with oat milk and the pulp for the oats…….

Michele May 14, 2013

Lea,
Did your bread turn out well? If so, please share the recipe.

Jonathan Moore January 10, 2013

I did the slimy milk version. it wasnt too bad after i added maple syrup and vanilla. I soaked the oats for 20 minutes, blended for 2 minutes, strained in a paint strainer bag, and most the oats were pulverized ( i didnt have much oat pulp). I’ll try it your way next to see what happens.

Sara January 10, 2013

I started a 30 day dairy free challenge today.. Which means I spent my evening last night trying to find milk, cheese and yogurt alternatives at the grocery store. I found this trip to the store very disheartening.. I wanted to buy a nice vanilla soy milk for my coffee and then some almond or rice milk for cooking. I’m very against Roundup ready soybeans and since over 90% of the soy crops are GMO I knew I could only buy organic soy milk yet when I checked the labels on every single soy milk at my store they all contained carrageenan.. So I moved onto almond milk, the only brand that had a carrageenan free milk was Silk who I have learned is owned by one of the biggest dairy producers who employ factory farming techniques. Yay. So my choices are no milk or support this company, whereas if I were to buy my normal organic canadian milk I know they are grass fed and treated well. I ended up buying the silk and found a rice milk in the boxed milk section as well but not a very good start to my dairy free month.
Also on my list was non-dairy yogurt but they all contained carrageenan.. So I started having doubts, how can something that research is showing to cause harm be in so many health foods… Maybe it’s not actually that bad for us.. Overall a very stressful shopping trip. I did not want to come home empty handed but I think I’ll have to head to a specialty store today to stock up on dairy-free substitutes, hopefully I’ll have more luck there.

Sara January 10, 2013

Or start making my own at home with this recipe =) ( I meant to include that in my last post!)

Samantha January 11, 2013

I have been dairy free for a bit now, but I totally sympathize with the carrageenan issue…so frustrating! I did not know about Silk and the factory farms which is very disheartening :( I guess homemade milk is the way to go, so steel cut oats is what I will be buying now. Thanks for letting us know about your research and good luck this month!

Zulemaya July 21, 2014

Made this last night. Doubled the recipe. Turned out great. Hubby loved it and says he no longer wants me to buy him the stuff sold at whole foods.
I soaked my oats for about 8 hours. I processed it a bit too fine so I had to strain a few more times. Next batch I am getting a fine mesh bag and I think that will do the trick. ( the doubled over cheesecloth was too messy). Only thing I may vary is to soak the oats in salted water.
Thanks for the recipe.

Michelle January 10, 2013

Where in Canada do you live? I’m pretty sure you can find some carrageenan-free milks at whole foods….

Sara January 10, 2013

I live outside of St. Albert, Alberta. I just looked up Whole foods and the closest one is in BC! We have a great selection of Organic/Natural stores in Edmonton, but it’s about an hour away from me. There is also this Amaranth Whole Foods Market in St. Albert which has lots of great products but is way overpriced, sometimes double the price at other stores so I don’t like to shop there.. I might end up checking out a couple health food stores in town, they usually carry some boxed milks.

Michelle January 10, 2013

Wow, in BC…. Kinda far :) But I would definitely check out other smaller organic or heath food stores… There should be something!

julie January 15, 2013

In Ontario, we have the Ontario Natural Foods Co-op, where you can by a wide array of organic goods, and have it delivered once a month. Is there anything like that in Alberta?

Michelle January 10, 2013

Angela shared that link in the last post. There is a list of products that contain or dont contain carrageenan….

Valerie January 10, 2013

Hey Sara! I live in St. Albert. You want to get Natura brand soy or rice milk to avoid carrageenan. It’s also organic & Canadian. You can get it in any grocery store or even Shoppers Drug Mart. I stock up when it’s on sale but Bulk Barn & Warehouse Club in Edmonton have the best regular price.

Sara January 10, 2013

Hey! I did end up picking up some Natura rice milk, but the Save on foods didn’t have the soy milk. I don’t shop at Safeway anymore since I learned they helped fund the anti-labeling for GMO food campaign but I shall look around some more today! I love to support Canadian brands =)

Laura S January 12, 2013

Do you have any links to where we could read more about Safeway funding the anti-GMO labeling? Thanks in advance!!

Sara January 12, 2013

Hi Laura, I actually heard about Safeway’s involvement through the Alberta Organic Producers Association. I volunteer for them and at the last meeting they told everyone to boycott Safeway. I did a quick search on the internet and found this on cornucopia’s website: http://www.cornucopia.org/2012/08/prop37/

Kyli January 17, 2013

I used to live in St.Albert, and the superstore has a great organic aisle (and milk selection), and silk true almond is carrageenan free too.

Steph January 10, 2013

Try Amande yogurt, it is made with almonds and delicious. Also carageenan free!

Sara January 10, 2013

Thanks! I’ll definitely try it, if I can find it! =)

Andrea January 11, 2013

You can buy Amande yogurt at Superstore, they have a pretty good organic section. I also buy Enriched Vanilla Rice Dream rice milk, my kids love it and it is sugar and carrageenan free and contains essential nutrients.

Andrea January 11, 2013

Nancy’s Cultured Soy yogurt is another good carrageenan free brand. Not sure what their practices are, we have a dairy allergic daughter so we take what we can get:) Good luck!

Sharon January 10, 2013

If you don’t have a nut allergy … cashew milk is another great alternative you can make at home with a blender, raw cashews and water.

Brooke January 11, 2013

Hi Sara! I just have to thank you so much for standing up for healthy food and not supporting companies that are GMO and use factory farming techniques. YOU give me the hope that the world is changing and starting to support healthier and more sustainable ways of living. I get so excited when I hear other people voting with their dollars and being informed consumers. Again, thank you for helping to change the world :-)

jl January 11, 2013

Thank you Brooke! That’s exactly what I was about to say :)

Rachel January 14, 2013

Whole Soy & Co. soy yogurt doesn’t have carrageenan. Super delicious too. I live in the Seattle and a lot of natural food stores, as well as Fred Meyer, carries it. It really tastes just like dairy yogurt to me. I love the peach and raspberry flavors.

Liza March 11, 2014

Hi Sara,

good that you added the postscript. yep make them at home. I’ve tried numerous almond milks (for instance) that are store bought and they were all just so synthetic or sweet tasting or just blah. Then I made it at home following an online recipe ~ I felt like I had gone outside and milked the almond milk cow. So creamy and fresh and frothy! Really, really nice.

Almonds you soak for 8 hours before processing; but other than that they follow the standard of soaking, rinsing, draining (1 cup) and then blending with 3 and 1/2 cups of water. Use a fine sieve to sieve out the pulp and place some sort of fine cloth (nut bag or other fine meshed natural fiber) in the sieve first & then after the initial milk passes through the mesh and sieve; squeeze out the nut bag or other cloth filled with the almond paste. Like other recipes you could add some dates to sweeten (paleo style), vanilla, cinnamon or keep plain with just a little salt for unsweetened.

I store the dried up almond “grounds” (from the cloth or nut bag after squeezing) in the fridge to make almond crepes, pancakes, etc.

Liza March 11, 2014

Oh and unlike this oats recipe, let the blender run about 1 minute or more to get the most out of the blended almonds in the final product.

Dawn Angel January 10, 2013

Sweet! I am so trying that (after I clean my kitchen ;-) ).
Steel cut oats are a staple in our house and would be cheaper (and greener) than buying packaged almond milk.

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa}\ January 10, 2013

Thanks for the great step-by-step tutorial! I’ve never tried making any milk at home, even almond, so I’m anxious to give it a try!

Rhona January 10, 2013

Great series, thank you! I will try this tonight before I go out and let you know my thoughts. I am like the only vegan alive that hates almond milk so this might be my best friend. I really enjoy Edensoy unsweetened soy milk so I am sure this oatmilk will be good for me. I will leave it unflavoured as I enjoy that better in my milks. TBA later.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013

sounds good, I look forward to your review!

Lauren January 11, 2013

You’re not alone; I don’t like almond milk either!

Miche January 10, 2013

This looks great! Thanks so much for coming up with this recipe and sharing it with us all :) I have never made a milk of any kind at home, and I am really looking forward to trying this out. This is perfect because as many times as I have tried to get my boyfriend to eat steel-cut oats he just hates their texture =/ Now, this will give me something else to do with them! I can’t wait to see the other non-dairy milk recipes that you post later on!

Maddie January 10, 2013

Hi Angela! Would you use this when making your VOO? I’m curious how the separation might affect the end product, or if it would be a null point since you mash it all up in the end anyway. I absolutely love your site; it’s my first stop when planning my weekly meals. I’m so excited to try this recipe tonight!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013

Good question, I’ll try that soon and report back. Thanks for reading!

Christina January 10, 2013

Hey Angie! Love this new post! I had no idea about the potential problems of carrageenan in non-dairy milks until you posted about it in your last post. I was pleased to try this quick and easy homemade alternative, and I have to say I thought the results were quite good. I might actually start making this fairly regularly as a substitute for the soy milk I have been buying. Cheap,easy, and quite tasty! Thanks!

Lissy January 10, 2013

interesting! though the only time I use milk is on my oatmeal and putting oat milk on oatmeal seems a bit redundant, lol.

Christina D January 11, 2013

This is completely off topic, but I just need to say that I love that you have a Sim as your profile picture.

Cookie and Kate January 10, 2013

Oat milk! I never would have thought to make oat milk, but it seems like a terrific idea. I love oats’ natural sweetness.

Janina Locascio January 10, 2013

Sounds good! love the idea of adding the cinnamon in there – would be a nice addition to cereal, like you said, and oatmeal, baked goods, etc.

I’m wondering – between the nut milk, oat milk, or other non-dairy milks you have tried, have you found that one is softer on your stomach over others?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013

I’ve made oat, almond, oat-almond, and pecan so far and they’ve seemed to be fine in my tummy so far. :) goodluck

Sarah C January 10, 2013

With the left overs, I make cookies, but my recipe is not perfect yet.
if anyone has a suggestion..
I’ve also add them to a soup once, and it was ok.

or vegetable hamburgers, with oats, seeds, and veggies, and spices if you want.

I hate to throw food, so…

thanks,
s

Sharon January 10, 2013

Great recipe! I will definitely try this. I’ve been having a blast making my own dairy-free milks … specifically cashew milk, which I love. Thanks!

Meg January 10, 2013

This is great! Can’t wait to try it myself! I’m wondering whether adding a little bit of coconut milk (the kind in a can) could help this be creamier and take it from “adequate” to “amazing”. I’ll have to get my kitchen lab prepped to try this one out!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013

Good idea, Im sure it would!
Im sharing an oat-almond hybrid recipe in my almond milk post. Its a nice balance.

ozum August 31, 2013

You mentioned you were going to share an oat-almond hybrid milk recipe but I can’t find it. I have been using your recipe for almond milk and I love it. Unfortunately since I’m using organic almonds, it’s very pricey. So I as thinking making both almond and oat milks and then mixing them together. But not sure if there is a better way to make them together.

Greenderella January 10, 2013

This post comes right in time for me! I just started to food shop plastic-free and already wondered how I could make my own milk instead of buying those milk carton. Thank you so much, this gets me excited! :-D

Anna @ The Guiltless Life January 10, 2013

I’d heard that oat milk was now being sold and I love the taste of oats so I thought that I would love oat milk. I like the idea of making my own and you make it look relatively easy!

Kate @ Two Take on Style January 10, 2013

Thanks for this great idea! I’d be interested to know what the calorie/nutrient information is compared to the other non-dairy milks, if you know.

The Frosted Vegan January 10, 2013

I love the idea of oat milk! Never would have thought of it, but I love the way it looks : )

Page 1 of 712345»...Last »