Edamame Hummus

edamame hummus 8538 thumb   Edamame Hummus

I don’t say this often, but I occasionally reach my tolerable upper limit for sweets. After working on the dessert chapter for my book while simultaneously creating holiday cookie recipes for the blog, these words have come out of my mouth more than a few times lately.

You know what I can’t eat too much of? Hummus, that’s what. I don’t think I’ve ever said to myself, “gee, I think I overdid it with the hummus”. It’s just not possible (or maybe I’m not eating enough hummus. Hmmm).

Humour me for a moment while I tell you what drives me absolutely insane. The other week, I’m standing in the checkout line skimming a women’s magazine and the writer advises us dear hummus lovers to stick to a 2 tablespoon serving of hummus at holiday parties because “those healthy calories can really add up”. What the hell. I’m pretty sure I can squeeze more than 2 tablespoons onto one lonely toasted pita wedge. It was a miracle my annoyance didn’t burst that magazine into flames right then and there. The nerve.

[I clearly have some unresolved issues from reading too many teen magazines as a gullible teenager. Breathe.]

In honour of taking a short break from the holiday cookie madness, I’d like to show you this feel-good green appetizer that I made for a recent Christmas party. Based off my favourite food group, hummus (which forms the base of my food pyramid), this edamame spread is a familiar twist on an old classic using traditional hummus ingredients like garlic, lemon, tahini, and olive oil. It’s absolutely fool-proof. Add a pinch of smoked paprika on top and you have a festive red and green holiday appetizer thrown together in minutes flat.

I encourage you to enjoy much more than 2 tablespoons of this healthy green dip! We sure did.

edamame hummus 8541 thumb   Edamame Hummus

Edamame Hummus

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 2 heaping cups

Ingredients:

• 1 (500g) bag frozen organic shelled edamame (equal to 3 cups thawed/drained)
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 3-4 tbsp fresh lemon juice (I used 4T)
  • 1/4 cup tahini (stir well before measuring)
  • 2-4 tbsp water, to thin as needed (I used 3T)
  • 1/2-1 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste (I used 3/4 tsp)
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander seeds, optional
  • 1/8th tsp cayenne pepper, optional
  • To garnish: smoked paprika, freshly ground black pepper, extra virgin olive oil, edamame

1. If starting with thawed edamame, rinse and drain before using. If starting with frozen edamame, simmer in a pot of water until edamame is heated through. Rinse and drain before using. You can also remove the skins of the edamame for a slightly smoother spread, but I didn’t bother. Set aside a handful of edamame beans for garnish just before serving.

2. With motor running on food processor, drop in 2 garlic cloves to mince.

3. Next, add edamame to processor and process until somewhat smooth, stopping to scrape down the side of the bowl as necessary.

4. Add in the lemon juice, tahini, and water and process again until smooth. Don’t be afraid to let the processor run for a few minutes and get it really smooth!

5. Add salt to taste along with optional cayenne pepper and ground coriander. Process again until combined.

6. Scoop into a serving bowl. Garnish with smoked paprika, freshly ground black pepper, a generous drizzle of olive oil, and reserved edamame. Serve with crostini, toasted pita chips, crudités, and/or crackers.

edamame hummus 8547 thumb   Edamame Hummus

If you’d like to check out my other favourite hummus spreads, see these recipes below:

The hummus that changed everything                     Red lentil hummus

IMG 4667 thumb   Edamame Hummus IMG 0744   Edamame Hummus

Cheezy Hummus:

IMG 89241   Edamame Hummus

Happy 12/12/12!

Kelly P December 12, 2012

Such a good idea! I was just thinking of what dip to serve at my party Saturday. While I love regular hummus, it’s not the prettiest of dips. This version is much more festive. :)

Sarah December 12, 2012

I’ve always thought the 2-tablespoon-rule for hummus was ridiculous. Don’t skimp on the good stuff!
This recipe looks delicious, thank you! I’m already an addict of your other hummus recipes. The food processor is comin’ out!!

Emma December 12, 2012

I’m completely with you on this one..2 T?! I hate all the madness you see in magazines cautioning about holiday eating.
This hummus looks great, I wish just thinking about the neglected bag of edamame in my freezer yesterday in fact. I must have missed you posting the red lentil hummus but that sounds fabulous too- it looks so creamy! Thanks for sharing.

Miriam December 12, 2012

Omgoodness! I love Edamame ! And I love hummus.
Unfortunately over here (Belgium) you can only get Edamame in Sushi restaurants.
Hmm, I wonder where they get it from?

Lilu August 17, 2013

In Brussels you can buy it frozen in the big Chinese supermarket near Anspach boulevard.

Melanie December 12, 2012

This hummus is calling my name – I adore edamame (just starting eating it recently…I can’t believe what I was missing!) Can’t wait to try it!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh December 12, 2012

A chef friend of our serves this in his restaurant and gave us the recipe over the summer. I think we lived on it from June – September!! Recipe is similar so I can vouch it is DELICIOUS!!! Make it people, you won’t regret it! :)

Katie December 12, 2012

That looks delish!

Most people reading that magazine are probably wasting calories on bacon wrapped shrimp and pigs in a blanket, so more hummus for us veggies! Besides, it’s all about healthy fats and beans!

My omivore in-laws asked what kind of snacks they should get for me to have around during Christmas, and hummus was my first answer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

hummus is always the answer. muahuah

marctr December 12, 2012

I tend to prefer plant-based foods, but can’t consider myself vegetarian. When I was tracking my food and calories, I discovered when I was eating veg I had to “make sure” I was eating enough calories–a problem I didn’t mind having! So Katie is right, people who need to limit their hummus it is because they are eating a bunch of other junk, but really what they need to do is eat more low-cal veggies (with hummus!) and less high-cal meat and empty carbs. That is one problem I have with some diet programs, they say to limit high calorie foods like avocados, nuts, olive oil, when those are some of the yummiest ways for healthy foods to taste good! Not to mention getting nutrients and protein and healthy fats. When I’m eating right, I don’t need to limit anything, even to lose weight. That is why I love your recipes Angela!

Angela December 12, 2012

I’m glad you are enjoying the recipes, thanks for sharing!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 12, 2012

Edamame hummus is one of my favorite versions. Have you ever added miso to it? It’s divine!

Beth December 12, 2012

Oh so excited about this! Trader Joe’s used to have an edamame hummus that we couldn’t get enough of. But something changed, and now it’s not as good. I will give this a try!

Alissa December 12, 2012

I have made this before and it is AMAZING! People won’t believe you that it’s Edamame because it’s that good! Thank you for a different take on the recipe I have, next time I will be making this one.

Geosomin December 12, 2012

Looks delicious. We’re doing appetizer christmas this year instead of a big meal and this will be a perfect addition to the grazing table.

kim@hungryhealthygirl December 12, 2012

Love hummus and your’s looks so pretty! I’ve made edamame guac, but never hummus….can’t wait to give it a try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

You just reminded me how good edamame guac is! You could also easily throw in avocado or fresh herbs into this recipe too.

K December 14, 2012

I sometimes blend an avocado with cilantro and lime into my hummus. Yum!

Laura December 12, 2012

Haha, Angela, this post made me laugh! I am with you 1005 when it comes to hummus. I LOVE it and eat probably half a cup’s worth at a time…just kidding (I hope so). I can’t wait to try this recipe, though! I love edamame and all my attempts at making edamame hummus in the past have been disastrous : / Keep on eating your hummus!!!

jodye @ chocolate & chou fleur December 12, 2012

You’re absolutely right about the hummus – I think it’s impossible to have to much, though my boyfriend would tell you otherwise; he looks on in horror at the amount I can eat in one sitting. Anyhow, I haven’t eaten edamame in a long while, but this hummus looks like a great way to incorporate it back into my meals. And I love the pretty green color!

Ashley December 12, 2012

Hahaha, I can totally relate. I’m so glad the doughnut baking is overrrr!! Love the green color of this. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

hah I can imagine. Congrats on being done!

Laura December 12, 2012

Great idea! Love the vibrant colour! Perfect for the holidays

Aileen Cohen December 12, 2012

If it is possible to overdue hummus consumption, I have done it. While I love hummus on anything, hummus and apple slices are my go to snack. Salty and sweet together. Great recipe.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

Why have I never tried this before? I will report back.

Rhona December 12, 2012

This hummus looks amazing. My sister is coming to visit me for the week and this will be a nice welcome app upon her arrival with crisp pita chips. Thank you Angela, again, for another wonderful recipe.
PS, (and totally unrelated to this post. lol) I live in Kitchener now and eat at Thrive Juice bar often thanks to your post on that restaurant. The owner Jonnie is so nice and only has great things to say about you and he LOVES your blog. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

Aw, that’s nice to hear. I’m glad you are enjoying Thrive. I haven’t been able to visit in ages!

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife December 12, 2012

I love your regular hummus recipe so I’m sure this one will be fabulous! Thanks!!

Shana December 12, 2012

You know what else is ridiculous in two tablespoon servings? Salsa. I like to chew my food. Not coat chip with liquid.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

hah yea salsa is another good example. We usually dump the jar in a bowl and polish off most of it between the two of us. This also just reminded me how GOOD homemade salsa is. I made some in the summer and froze a batch. I think it needs to come out!

Shana December 12, 2012

Good. Please enjoy it by the cup-full!

The Cookie Fairy December 12, 2012

You’ve just combined two of my favourite foods! Lovely :)

Joanna December 12, 2012

Gorgeous photos. Can’t wait to try the recipe.

Sam December 12, 2012

Can’t wait to try this one (plus your other hummus recipes). I love hummus but haven’t had it in ages, mainly because of food fears. Once finals are over I’ll be working on my ED issues-changing the behavior first and hoping the mind follows. No matter how much I know/learn about nutrition the fears have a way of winning. Looking forward to using your recipes to help me recover and feel less alone in this.

Angela December 12, 2012

Hi Sam, I can relate to those feelings in earlier years (I used to have this fear about avocado as one example even though I took as many nutrition courses as I could sign up for). I wish you all the best with your recovery! Good luck finishing your finals too.

Sam December 12, 2012

Thanks so much Angela! Your support means more than you know. I think it’s especially tricky with all of that conflicting information out there, especially about fats, and especially from reputable plant-based sources. Sometimes I just don’t know what to think. Well, I’m tired of being afraid of food and I’m ready to enjoy life again! Your blog is the best medicine out there.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2012

Thank you, I appreciate it so much! In the end, you just gotta do what makes YOU feel the best. That’s my humble opinion anyway. Keep me posted.

Sam December 25, 2012

I just made this today–DELICIOUS! Thanks Angela! :)

melissa December 12, 2012

my husband is allergic to sesame. do you have any good ideas what I could use in place of the tahini? i have made hummus with just omitting the tahini all together without a replacement but it doesn’t always get quite as creamy. any suggestions would be appreciated!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

Ohh good question. That’s a tough one. I’ve heard some people put a spoonful of peanut butter instead of tahini but I really don’t know how that would turn out. Tahini tends to smooth it out so what about streaming in some oil for this purpose?

K December 14, 2012

Sunflower butter! You can also just add some seeds with the liquid ingredients!

Averie @ Averie Cooks December 12, 2012

I love edamame in all forms and ways and am digging the bright vibrant shade of green! Looks so alive and healthy & makes me want to dig right in :)

Liz December 12, 2012

I never really like hummus alone. This looks like something I would definitely like. It also looks very healthy. Your pictures are always so amazing. :)

Angela December 12, 2012

Thanks Liz, I appreciate it!

Lia December 12, 2012

I love the picture for that at the end. That crusty bread looks so good in it. This is a great sounding recipe and I agree that 2 Tbs is never enough hummus. Silly magazine writers. That’s one of the reasons I can’t read those magazines any more. They don’t tell the whole story and they make these generalizations that drive women, who actually listen to them, crazy.

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan December 12, 2012

You must have read my mind, I was just thinking about making something every similar to this!

Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian December 12, 2012

What a great idea; I really like edamame!

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} December 12, 2012

Yum! I love hummus. I’ve never made it with edamame, but so perfect for a healthy appetizer!

Herbivore Triathlete December 12, 2012

I love edamame. I love hummus. I therefore love this recipe. 2 T is NOT enough, I probably put that amount on one chip! I am more of a savory snack type person rather than sweet so this post comes at a great time when the internets are bursting with cookie recipes.

Delilah Stewart December 12, 2012

I made a pumpkin hummus for a Halloween party and it rocked! Just substituted one can of pumpkin for the chickpeas. Garnished it with pumpkin seeds and it was so pretty.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 12, 2012

I could never stick to 2 tablespoons of hummus either – it’s just too good. I’m pretty sure I need at least a 1/2 cup of it for snacking on raw veggies!

I love edamame, but I’ve never tried making it into a dip before. This looks like a perfect holiday party appetizer!

Miche December 12, 2012

I was looking for something to bring to a holiday party next weekend, and this might be it! Of course I will need to make a taste-test-run recipe this week too ;)

Thanks for keeping these yummy recipes coming!

ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli December 12, 2012

As soon as I saw this recipe I just knew it’s what I have to make and bring to a party tomorrow – it looks so good!

….and then about 10 minutes later I suddenly remembered what my facebook profile is: it’s a cartoon image I found floating around on the internet of three T-rexes hanging around a grill eating pieces of meat and one brontosaurus standing to the side. One T-rex says, “Oh great, who invited the herbivore?” To which the Brontosaurus replies, “I brought hummus.” It makes me and my other vegetarian friend laugh so hard because that’s what we always feel like when we go to parties and bring some kind of veg dish.

Angela December 12, 2012

hah…that’s cute. It’s funny to think there was a time in my life I did not like hummus one bit (or thought I didn’t like it). I think I’ve only been eating it since my 20′s?

Lizanne December 12, 2012

Two tablespoons! Ha — hummus has become my new can’t-stop-but-now-it’s-in-a-good-way food (that used to be mashed potatoes with cream and butter). When I make it (all the time), I have to double the recipe so that someone else can have some. Cannot wait to try this version!

Catherine December 12, 2012

A-freaking-men! I used to feel guilty for exceeding the recommended 2 Tbsp in like 2 bites. Then I realized there’s no such thing as a “serving” of hummus (yes, it’s a food group for me, too!). Eat all the hummus!
This looks wonderful. I’ve meant to make “edamummus” before now, so thanks for giving me another reason to try it.

Sheryl December 12, 2012

I’m so excited to try this. What a fun twist. Are you going to have or will you please please have a gingerbread “people” recipe? I have had a tough time over the last week finding a recipe that’s both tasty and healthy using agave and I keep hoping you will post something…Maybe think about it at least? Thanks for all the work you do to keep my families bellies full and our mouths happy. So grateful for your creativity in the kitchen!

Angela December 12, 2012

Hey Sheryl, You must be reading my mind because I started brainstorming gingerbread people cookies today. If I make something I enjoy, I will be sure to post it on the blog.

Nicole Boyhouse December 12, 2012

Two tablespoons! Pfffft.

jo @ including cake December 12, 2012

Totally agree. I got totally truffled out last weekend… I made an amazing healthy truffle recipe that suddenly everyone wanted in loads of different flavours, but that meant a lot of taste testing! Now i’m wondering if it was maybe a mistake to do ’12 days of Christmas candy’ on my blog….hmmmm. Anyway, loving the hummus and the pretty coloured fabrics, I have ‘fabrics for photos shoots’ actually written on my christmas list :-)

Angela December 12, 2012

Thanks, I snagged the placemat in the Anthro sale bin. :)

Page 1 of 3123»