Edamame Hummus

edamame hummus -8538

I don’t say this often, but I occasionally reach my tolerable upper limit for sweets. After working on the dessert chapter for my book while simultaneously creating holiday cookie recipes for the blog, these words have come out of my mouth more than a few times lately.

You know what I can’t eat too much of? Hummus, that’s what. I don’t think I’ve ever said to myself, “gee, I think I overdid it with the hummus”. It’s just not possible (or maybe I’m not eating enough hummus. Hmmm).

Humour me for a moment while I tell you what drives me absolutely insane. The other week, I’m standing in the checkout line skimming a women’s magazine and the writer advises us dear hummus lovers to stick to a 2 tablespoon serving of hummus at holiday parties because “those healthy calories can really add up”. What the hell. I’m pretty sure I can squeeze more than 2 tablespoons onto one lonely toasted pita wedge. It was a miracle my annoyance didn’t burst that magazine into flames right then and there. The nerve.

[I clearly have some unresolved issues from reading too many teen magazines as a gullible teenager. Breathe.]

In honour of taking a short break from the holiday cookie madness, I’d like to show you this feel-good green appetizer that I made for a recent Christmas party. Based off my favourite food group, hummus (which forms the base of my food pyramid), this edamame spread is a familiar twist on an old classic using traditional hummus ingredients like garlic, lemon, tahini, and olive oil. It’s absolutely fool-proof. Add a pinch of smoked paprika on top and you have a festive red and green holiday appetizer thrown together in minutes flat.

I encourage you to enjoy much more than 2 tablespoons of this healthy green dip! We sure did.

edamame hummus -8541

Edamame Hummus

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 2 heaping cups

Ingredients:

• 1 (500g) bag frozen organic shelled edamame (equal to 3 cups thawed/drained)
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 3-4 tbsp fresh lemon juice (I used 4T)
  • 1/4 cup tahini (stir well before measuring)
  • 2-4 tbsp water, to thin as needed (I used 3T)
  • 1/2-1 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste (I used 3/4 tsp)
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander seeds, optional
  • 1/8th tsp cayenne pepper, optional
  • To garnish: smoked paprika, freshly ground black pepper, extra virgin olive oil, edamame

1. If starting with thawed edamame, rinse and drain before using. If starting with frozen edamame, simmer in a pot of water until edamame is heated through. Rinse and drain before using. You can also remove the skins of the edamame for a slightly smoother spread, but I didn’t bother. Set aside a handful of edamame beans for garnish just before serving.

2. With motor running on food processor, drop in 2 garlic cloves to mince.

3. Next, add edamame to processor and process until somewhat smooth, stopping to scrape down the side of the bowl as necessary.

4. Add in the lemon juice, tahini, and water and process again until smooth. Don’t be afraid to let the processor run for a few minutes and get it really smooth!

5. Add salt to taste along with optional cayenne pepper and ground coriander. Process again until combined.

6. Scoop into a serving bowl. Garnish with smoked paprika, freshly ground black pepper, a generous drizzle of olive oil, and reserved edamame. Serve with crostini, toasted pita chips, crudités, and/or crackers.

edamame hummus -8547

If you’d like to check out my other favourite hummus spreads, see these recipes below:

The hummus that changed everything                     Red lentil hummus

IMG_4667_thumb IMG_0744

Cheezy Hummus:

IMG_8924

Happy 12/12/12!

1 Sarah April 20, 2016

I’ve made this four times since discovering the recipe two weeks ago. Slightly altered to suit my crazy IBS stomach, but I love it so much — thanks!

2 Angela Liddon April 21, 2016

I’m glad to hear the recipe’s become such a fav, Sarah!

3 Pia June 21, 2015

Hi. Can I make this without the garlic? Will it alter the taste as much? Looking forward to trying this recipe. Thanks

4 Cynthia April 14, 2015

I just made this delicious looking hummus and it turned out rather dry. Is there a reason you do not add any oil? In regular hummus there is usually some oil added to make it creamier. Although my is smooth, it’s a bit dry even though I added 5 TBl spoons of lemon juice and 5 TBL spoons of water. Please advise! Thank you!

5 Olivia February 13, 2015

I live in an area where it is quite difficult to find chickpeas, but so easy to buy packets of edamame. I am so glad I tried this because it is the yummiest dip I’ve ever tasted! Thank you so much!!

6 Kenbul October 3, 2014

can i substitute hummus for my carbohydrate? pleas reply it asap..
thank youu..

7 Kristen September 10, 2014

I didn’t have any coriander seed and therefore left that out but this is actually the second time I’ve made this recipe. We are big fans of it. I added roasted garlic to it. Delish!! Thanks for posting yummy recipes!

8 Robin August 14, 2014

Hi Angela
I absolutely love your recipes and cookbook! I am getting ready for my first grill out in my new house and was looking for appetizer recipes. I know I saw a 7 layer dip that looked amazing but I cannot find it now. I wrote down that it was on your website. Can you point me in the right direction or is that not one of your recipes? Thanks so much for your help! And let me know if you have any other recommendations for grill out recipes! :)
Robin

9 Kristen September 10, 2014

A bit late but Google ohsheglows 7 layer dip and you’ll find what you’re looking for. And it does look yummy

10 Sherri March 7, 2014

This recipe was a hit! I am hardcore omnivore (I don’t think I can ever give up meat)- so even looking up a vegan recipe is very foreign to me. I had a dinner party a few weeks back and one the guest was vegan and a celiac and she not only was able to eat it, but enjoyed it. Also my 2 year old LOVES this dip with crackers and veggies!!!

11 Melanie October 12, 2013

We also don’t limit hummus intake at my house. My kids have been known to eat it with a spoon :) I made this version today and it’s delicious. I added Herbamere and about a quarter cup of nutritional yeast. Yum!

12 Amelia September 7, 2013

Very beautiful photos. Will try your recipes ! Which food processor would you recommend for making hummus as smooth as yours (& even for raw veg juice pulp drink) ? Thanks !

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2013

I use a 14-cup Cuisinart processor – love it, however you don’t need one that large (they come in small sizes too) goodluck!

14 susanj September 1, 2013

Holy moly this was GREAT! I just made a half batch today and I almost ate it all!. I am making this again next weekend to bring to a party for the 1st New Orleans Saints football game of the 2013 season. Cant wait for everyone to try it.

15 Nicole August 25, 2013

That’s a horrible rule to follow… after your 2 tablespoons, you are clearly still going to be craving more food. At most holiday parties that would mean turning to cheeses and other things not as healthy as hummus. Those magazines are just trying to think of new things to say that haven’t been said yet, most of it is ridiculous.

I love the idea of this hummus by the way! I agree, my tummy can never get enough hummus. However, sometimes after finishing off half a container my mind tells me its time to put it away. Especially knowing the price of the containers! …50 cent hummus time :)

16 Marisse July 12, 2013

I made this tonight! Haven’t tried it yet but it looked and smelled great :) Altered the recipe a bit by using 2 tbsp of hemp seeds instead of tahini, hopefully it tastes alright!

17 Jean March 10, 2013

I just made this and cannot stay out of it!!! It is absolutely awesome. Thank you!

18 Carmen February 28, 2013

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! I am so inspired by your pictures! I just started a healthy eating blog last year…Thanks for sharing those recipes! I have a beetroot hummus recipe I think you will enjoy!!

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 28, 2013

Thank you Carmen! I will check out your blog. :)

20 Corinne February 22, 2013

Edamame hummus sounds great! A new change to the traditional. I’ve never known anyone to stop at 2 tablespoons…

21 Marianna February 20, 2013

Hi Angela,
I love hummus and I really want to try your recipe.
I have a question, can I use fresh edamame instead of frozen? Do I need to boil them beforehand?

Thank you!!!
Ciao, Marianna

22 Katie February 1, 2013

Made this last night to go with our go-to Asian-inspired Gingered Tofu and Kale. Added half a ripe avocado. Delicious! And made so much! Not very “Asian,” which I guess I shoulda realized, but will definitely be making again. Having for lunch today with baby carrots.

23 Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 31, 2013

Made an awesome slightly modified version of this today to have with my low carb stuffed grape leaves…omg so good!
I will pretty much be making these every time I make the grape leaves from now on.
Thanks so much for the recipe!:)

24 Geosomin January 21, 2013

I am absolutely addicted to this. It’s become my go to healthy snack/dip.
Thanks!

25 Amy January 16, 2013

This recipe is great! Just made it for my toddler’s lunch with a variety of veggies and crackers. His container looked like a rainbow…so pretty! Any idea how long this should last in the fridge? Would like to take the rest to playdate this weekend. Thank you for this recipe!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2013

I think it should last for 5 days or longer?

27 Kathleen January 13, 2013

Tahini and I don’t always get along . . . Could I omit or exchange it for something else?

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2013

Hmm I’m really not sure! Tahini is a tough one. It would probably be ok without it, but it just wouldnt be as creamy or have that kick to it so you might need to play around with the rest of the ingredients. Also, I would skin the edamame as it will yield a creamier result overall.

29 Maggie January 1, 2013

This is great! I accidentally bought a bag of edamame that was only half of what the recipe calls for. I kept everything else the same and it still tasted great! Thanks for sharing!

30 Dora December 30, 2012

I wish that you would mention how much you like a strong lemon flavor when you are writing your blogs. For this recipe, I used 2 tbsp just in case, and that was just right. The lemon flavor was a high note, but not overpowering. Having used quite a few of your recipes, I can let you know that I never end up wanting more than half the amount of lemon juice that you use. I remember having a number of ruined recipes before I started halving the LJ as standard practice, so I feel like a friendly reminder to your readers that you enjoy a very strong lemon flavor wouldn’t go amiss. At least they would know to add the LJ tbsp by tbsp until they achieved the flavor strength of their preference.

31 Dawn Angel December 28, 2012

First, I’m so excited that someone else has hummus as a food group!
Second, I’m excited to try the edamame hummus.
Also, the photography of your food is gorgeous. It’s made me hungry the last 2 hours I’ve been browsing. :-)

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2012

Thank you Dawn! Enjoy :)

33 Stacy L. December 27, 2012

I made this recipe for a meeting where most of the people attending think anything veggie is gross and…..everyone LOVED it!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2012

Glad to hear that!

35 Heather L December 26, 2012

Yum! Made this to have something healthy for lunch today. Totally yum, and the colour is such a nice springy green…takes me away from the -25C we a having here. :):)

36 lana357 December 25, 2012

I love your entry! I wholeheartedly agree with you, the only thing that stops me from eating heaping portions of hummus for lunch and dinner is that my stomach can only tolerate so much beans.

I made the edamame hummus last night and brought it to a dinner party – it was a hit! I used about one more Tbsp of lemon juice and added a little olive oil. Nom nom nom.

37 Mae December 20, 2012

I made this for lunch today to have with whole grain crackers. Mine turned out a little bland until I added Tapatio sauce and sprinkled the top with chipotle powder. It was then delicious. Plus, it looked very Christmasy — green and red.

38 Lidi December 18, 2012

The hummus sounds amazing but the pictures are even better. Just yesterday I was reading your post on how to build a light box. Out of curiosity, did you use the light box for these photos?

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2012

I’m afraid my light box didn’t make the move last spring! We just dont have the space for it in our new place unfortunately. I shoot everything beside my window, all taken with natural light.

40 Nathalie December 17, 2012

This sounds great! Is there a chance this could me made ahead of time, frozen and then thawed on Christmas day for serving before dinner? I have so much cooking to do on Christmas day (many different people & diets to cover).

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2012

Im not sure if hummus can be placed in the freezer and thawed….I would try googling it first! Im sure it would be fine.

42 Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen December 17, 2012

“What the hell. I’m pretty sure I can squeeze more than 2 tablespoons onto one lonely toasted pita wedge. It was a miracle my annoyance didn’t burst that magazine into flames right then and there. The nerve.”

Bwahahahahaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa *catches breath* bwahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! This was hysterical and oh so true! I’ve never understood the whole 2 tbsp per serving thing. I could easily eat an entire bucket in one sitting without feeling bad about it at all. Also, I *love* these pictures! That pink matched with the gorgeous green of the edamame is absolutely superb.

43 Elliana December 17, 2012

I can’t agree with you more!!!! I also LOVE LOVE LOVE hummus. I ate an insane amount when I start. I usually just eat hummus straight. It is soooooooooo delicious. I need to stop making or buying them, because I got stuck one time. My stomach was upset. :-(
But still, HUMUSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :-)))))) LOVE YOUR IDEA. :-)))))))

44 Becca December 16, 2012

Ugh, of all the foods that magazine could “counsel” us on with regards to holiday eating… hummus?! Why oh why must they pick on this healthy food?!

How about suggesting that people limit themselves to only 2 tablespoons of butter on their mashed potatoes …or what about only consuming 2 tablespoons of frosting out of the bowl while making frosting for sugar cookies :P ha ha

45 Lil December 16, 2012

Hi Angela!

I love your blog! I’m a college student and struggling to recover from some disordered eating habits of my own right now, and I just wanted to let you know that on my bad days I find myself coming to your blog for some extra motivation! Your posts always seem to remind me that food should be fun and healthy, and reading your readers’ comments helps to put everything into a positive light. Thanks and I look forward to seeing whats in store for the holidays!

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2012

Hey Lil, Thank you so much, that means a lot to me. Goodluck with your own recovery!

47 Lil December 18, 2012

Thanks!

48 Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans December 16, 2012

This hummus looks so good!
That magazine article is ridiculous, articles like that make me mad, totally promoting an unhealthy mindset when it comes to food! Plus I’m not sure it’s even possible to limit hummus consumption to 2 tablespoons!

49 Alister December 15, 2012

2 tablespoons ? Never!. That is why hummus is called vegan crack. I am thawing edamame as I write this.

50 Johanna December 14, 2012

Hi Angela, i just made this recipe and it was amazing! Can´t believe it is so good and so simple! thanks!!!I

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 14, 2012

I’m so glad to hear that! Thanks for letting me know.

52 Anna @ The Guiltless Life December 14, 2012

I have never tried edamame hummus, still! Clearly I am behind the times. And I, like you, rarely hit my wall with sweets but I feel that way too with this season of sweets everywhere!

53 Sara @ The Cozy Herbivore December 14, 2012

Two tablespoons? Psssssh… ridiculous! I’m so sick of the amount of misinformation still out there regarding fat. People are still terrified of (healthy) fats!

Anyway, this looks delicious, and like you said– so festive! The perfect addition to a Christmas hors d’oeuvres spread.

54 Joy December 14, 2012

When I was in the hospital a few years ago they had nothing for my vegan self so every day for almost 6 weeks I had a hummus sandwich with a 1/2 cup of hummus on wheat bread. It took me a year to eat hummus again and I still can’t stomach bread. But this looks yummy and I think I’ll have to go shopping today

55 Tanya @ playful and hungry December 14, 2012

Edamame is delicious – but so hard to get in Europe… =/

56 Alexandra December 13, 2012

Just loled at the 2 tablespoons of hummus. It KILLS me that the serving size for hummus is 2 tablespoons. So wrong. The deliciousness of hummus is also the base of my food pyramid!

57 AnnR December 13, 2012

I can’t wait to try this! It’s so green and pretty! I’ve been on a complete homemade hummus kick lately. Your “hummus that changed everything” is my absolute never fail favorite, but when I’m feeling extra virtuous I cut down on the tahini and oil and add a handful or two of leftover grilled or roasted vegetables, like mushrooms, onions and peppers. And then I eat a whole cup of it! But on lettuce leaves, so that’s like 2 T, right?

58 Katie @ Veggie and the Beast December 13, 2012

LOVE this idea – what a great way to mix up the hummus routine! Also, that article about keeping to 2 tablespoons of hummus is ridiculous. People eat FAR WORSE things at Christmas parties than protein-packed bean dip! Some of the tips in health magazines just make me laugh :)

59 Margaret December 13, 2012

Looks awesome! Its annoying that that magazine is cautioning people against eating hummus–probably the most healthy item at any holiday party! Although there is a difference between store-bought hummus and homemade. This recipe shows that you dont need much oil in hummus (sometimes I dont use any at all and it turns out great). Thats a big part of what affects the health of it. But overall its such a great way to eat your beans!

60 Jacquie December 13, 2012

Oh my gosh, you are amazing! Thank you so much for all your awesome recipes!!!!

61 Ariel December 13, 2012

So happy to see something that’s not sweet on the blog! (never thought I’d say that. . .)

The photos on this post are really great.

62 Marissa December 13, 2012

2 Tbsp? No way! That’s like when the vegan option at a restaurant is a hummus sandwich, and it comes out with the thinnest, barely detectable spread of hummus on it.

I love edamame hummus. I’ve even made hummus with edamame and broccoli that was pretty fantastic. It sounds a little bit weird, but it was so tasty. You should try it!

63 Georgina December 13, 2012

Must make! Yum!

By the way, congrats on winning Gold on the 2012 Veggie Awards in Veg News Magazine! http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=5212&catId=7 I am probably late congratulating you, but I just read it. :)

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 14, 2012

Thank you Georgina!

65 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) December 13, 2012

I LOVE hummus. Your original one from a few years ago is still my all-time favourite if I’m not buying something at the store… must be the white vinegar or something? But I do love buying edamame hummus sometimes for a change so I’ll have to try this one out! :)

66 Barb December 13, 2012

Oh, my! I’m going to the store the minute I finish this comment for some frozen edamame! And I LOVE the idea of red pepper hummus alongside (although mine usually is more orange than red.) I am definitely serving this on Christmas Day. And not 2 Tbsp servings either! I’m certain I eat at least a cup at a time whenever I eat hummus. Such a nice filling healthy snack! Thanks so much, Angela. LOVE your blog!

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 14, 2012

Thanks Barb, I hope you enjoy it!

68 Steph @ Steph Stays Slim December 13, 2012

That looks so good! I make an edamame guacamole that’s just amazing!!

I’m hosting a 12 days of giveaways starting today, come check it out!

69 Kris | iheartwellness.com December 13, 2012

Mmm interesting hummus, I’m excited to try it! Thanks girl for always dazzling us with fun things to try in the kitchen! xxoo

70 Heather December 13, 2012

Yummy – can’t wait to try it :)

71 Reba Cox December 13, 2012

This looks amazing! I love edemame. Do you think it would enhance teh flavor is your roasted the edemame in the oven?

Thanks,
Reba

72 Cassandra @ TheScienceofFood December 13, 2012

I love all of the various hummus recipes. Have you ever tried making a hummus with good old peas? You’ve inspired me to try this.

73 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 13, 2012

No I havent but that sounds nice :) Im sure you could throw some into this recipe too

74 Susannah December 13, 2012

I am SO bringing this to the girlfriend’s family’s Christmas — and I might even pair it with a red pepper hummus to really amp up the Christmas look.

Thanks for the great recipe idea!

75 [email protected] Boo, the Bear December 13, 2012

This seriously looks good!! I love the colour :)

76 Angela @ AnotherBitePlease December 13, 2012

I love edamame and hummus – I don’t make nearly as much as I should…but I do have bag of frozen edamame so this maybe the perfect dish to keep in the fridge to equalize the treats :-) I am going over now to look at your other hummus recipes…yum!

77 Vegan Radhika Sarohia December 13, 2012

^ Ahaha!!:p
Could’ve written that myself, word for word, b/c I suck (extremely) in matters of portion control, omg
I’ve never made edamame hummus, totally gonna try this recipe :-)

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 13, 2012

hehe glad Im not the only one!

79 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 13, 2012

Fabulous Hummus!! Loving the flavor combinations!!

80 Nicole December 13, 2012

Brilliant!

81 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts December 13, 2012

I think that readers of those magazines would be much better off reading your blog. And eating this hummus by the serving spoon full.

82 Bek @ Crave December 13, 2012

Yum I love Edamame ever since I recently tried it! I’ll have to save this recipe ;)

83 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 12, 2012

I absolutely love hummus. I think that it is one of my favorite foods! Thank you for sharing so many wonderful versions!

84 Danielle December 12, 2012

Haha yes! The 2 tbsp myth…. What a terrible thing to say! I am all for unlimited amounts of hummus… Well to a certain extent :P

85 Luv What You Do December 12, 2012

I’m such a huge fan of homemade hummus! Edamame is one of my favorites but my recipe doesn’t have as many spices. I can’t wait to try this!

86 Kate December 12, 2012

a) this looks AMAZING. things to make when I get my hands on a food processor…
b) this is a random question, but I was wondering — is there any chance you could do a student-health-tips post? Snacks, etc, for those times when there are a ton of deadlines and craziness? It’s finals period around most universities and it’s a time when things can get a little dicey health-wise. Just wondering!

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 13, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion about a student tips post…I’m not sure I will be able to come up with something before it’s too late, but I will definitely give it some thought!

88 Kate December 14, 2012

:) thanks. Love your site so much.

89 Lizzie December 12, 2012

… or as my friends and I like to call it: YUMmus. Nerdy I know.

Also, I just had major dental surgery recently and before I was able to chew again I was eating hummus by the spoonfuls because it was super soft and a good way to get protein.

90 Lindsay December 12, 2012

I love the Trader Joes edamame hummus so it would be great to make my own

91 Amber December 12, 2012

I don’t think I’ve ever only eaten to table spoons of hummus in my life. HA! This looks amazing. I’ll definitely be making it soon!

92 Amber December 12, 2012

Oops…that would be two…

93 Andrea December 12, 2012

Oh my, I am so addicted to your blog Angela! It all started with the Rustic Chocolate Banana Chip Oat Cake that a coworker gave me the recipe for. Yummy!…I have a regular supply kept in the freezer ;) Now I am seriously checking your blog everyday at lunch for some inspiration! I even made your No Bake Peppermint Patties for a $5 gift exchange Christmas Party (pair with some funky colored measuring spoons). Those who got my gift want the recipe. Now Edamame Hummus! Ahhh…loving this. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes.

94 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 12, 2012

LOL about the 2 tbsp!! I have the same pet peeve and eat 2 cup servings in rebellion (lol, well maybe not quite, but much more than 2 tbsp!) Love your photos here, especially the green and purple pairing!

95 Becky December 12, 2012

My six-year-old daughter loves to dip fresh raspberries in hummus. I tried it and it wasn’t as gross as I expected, but I don’t crave it the way she does. She may have just stumbled onto the next big food trend!

96 Angela December 12, 2012

Now that is an interesting combo. I need to try apple slices before I venture into berries. ;)

97 Sarah @ Yogi in Action December 12, 2012

I will definitely be making this! Looks so good.

And I agree with the ridicolousness of saying to eat 2 tablespoons of hummus! Eat as much hummus and veggies as you want- maybe skimp on the eggnog and cookies instead! That’s my philosophy anyways

98 Karen December 12, 2012

This looks SO good!! Hummus has been missing from my life for what seems like forever – I knew there was a void. Great timing!

99 DessertForTwo December 12, 2012

I so agree with you! I could eat 2+ tablespoons of hummus on each dip! My favorite lunch is a cup of hummus with lots of raw veggies for dipping. I’ve been wanting to try edamame hummus, so thank you very much for the recipe!

ps I can’t wait for your book! :)

100 Angela December 12, 2012

A cup of hummus, now that is more my style!

I’m glad you are excited for the book…that makes me excited. Thank you!

101 jo @ including cake December 12, 2012

Totally agree. I got totally truffled out last weekend… I made an amazing healthy truffle recipe that suddenly everyone wanted in loads of different flavours, but that meant a lot of taste testing! Now i’m wondering if it was maybe a mistake to do ’12 days of Christmas candy’ on my blog….hmmmm. Anyway, loving the hummus and the pretty coloured fabrics, I have ‘fabrics for photos shoots’ actually written on my christmas list :-)

102 Angela December 12, 2012

Thanks, I snagged the placemat in the Anthro sale bin. :)

103 Nicole Boyhouse December 12, 2012

Two tablespoons! Pfffft.

104 Sheryl December 12, 2012

I’m so excited to try this. What a fun twist. Are you going to have or will you please please have a gingerbread “people” recipe? I have had a tough time over the last week finding a recipe that’s both tasty and healthy using agave and I keep hoping you will post something…Maybe think about it at least? Thanks for all the work you do to keep my families bellies full and our mouths happy. So grateful for your creativity in the kitchen!

105 Angela December 12, 2012

Hey Sheryl, You must be reading my mind because I started brainstorming gingerbread people cookies today. If I make something I enjoy, I will be sure to post it on the blog.

106 Catherine December 12, 2012

A-freaking-men! I used to feel guilty for exceeding the recommended 2 Tbsp in like 2 bites. Then I realized there’s no such thing as a “serving” of hummus (yes, it’s a food group for me, too!). Eat all the hummus!
This looks wonderful. I’ve meant to make “edamummus” before now, so thanks for giving me another reason to try it.

107 Lizanne December 12, 2012

Two tablespoons! Ha — hummus has become my new can’t-stop-but-now-it’s-in-a-good-way food (that used to be mashed potatoes with cream and butter). When I make it (all the time), I have to double the recipe so that someone else can have some. Cannot wait to try this version!

108 ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli December 12, 2012

As soon as I saw this recipe I just knew it’s what I have to make and bring to a party tomorrow – it looks so good!

….and then about 10 minutes later I suddenly remembered what my facebook profile is: it’s a cartoon image I found floating around on the internet of three T-rexes hanging around a grill eating pieces of meat and one brontosaurus standing to the side. One T-rex says, “Oh great, who invited the herbivore?” To which the Brontosaurus replies, “I brought hummus.” It makes me and my other vegetarian friend laugh so hard because that’s what we always feel like when we go to parties and bring some kind of veg dish.

109 Angela December 12, 2012

hah…that’s cute. It’s funny to think there was a time in my life I did not like hummus one bit (or thought I didn’t like it). I think I’ve only been eating it since my 20’s?

110 Miche December 12, 2012

I was looking for something to bring to a holiday party next weekend, and this might be it! Of course I will need to make a taste-test-run recipe this week too ;)

Thanks for keeping these yummy recipes coming!

111 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 12, 2012

I could never stick to 2 tablespoons of hummus either – it’s just too good. I’m pretty sure I need at least a 1/2 cup of it for snacking on raw veggies!

I love edamame, but I’ve never tried making it into a dip before. This looks like a perfect holiday party appetizer!

112 Delilah Stewart December 12, 2012

I made a pumpkin hummus for a Halloween party and it rocked! Just substituted one can of pumpkin for the chickpeas. Garnished it with pumpkin seeds and it was so pretty.

113 Herbivore Triathlete December 12, 2012

I love edamame. I love hummus. I therefore love this recipe. 2 T is NOT enough, I probably put that amount on one chip! I am more of a savory snack type person rather than sweet so this post comes at a great time when the internets are bursting with cookie recipes.

114 Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} December 12, 2012

Yum! I love hummus. I’ve never made it with edamame, but so perfect for a healthy appetizer!

115 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian December 12, 2012

What a great idea; I really like edamame!

116 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan December 12, 2012

You must have read my mind, I was just thinking about making something every similar to this!

117 Lia December 12, 2012

I love the picture for that at the end. That crusty bread looks so good in it. This is a great sounding recipe and I agree that 2 Tbs is never enough hummus. Silly magazine writers. That’s one of the reasons I can’t read those magazines any more. They don’t tell the whole story and they make these generalizations that drive women, who actually listen to them, crazy.

118 Liz December 12, 2012

I never really like hummus alone. This looks like something I would definitely like. It also looks very healthy. Your pictures are always so amazing. :)

119 Angela December 12, 2012

Thanks Liz, I appreciate it!

120 Averie @ Averie Cooks December 12, 2012

I love edamame in all forms and ways and am digging the bright vibrant shade of green! Looks so alive and healthy & makes me want to dig right in :)

121 melissa December 12, 2012

my husband is allergic to sesame. do you have any good ideas what I could use in place of the tahini? i have made hummus with just omitting the tahini all together without a replacement but it doesn’t always get quite as creamy. any suggestions would be appreciated!

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

Ohh good question. That’s a tough one. I’ve heard some people put a spoonful of peanut butter instead of tahini but I really don’t know how that would turn out. Tahini tends to smooth it out so what about streaming in some oil for this purpose?

123 K December 14, 2012

Sunflower butter! You can also just add some seeds with the liquid ingredients!

124 Sam December 12, 2012

Can’t wait to try this one (plus your other hummus recipes). I love hummus but haven’t had it in ages, mainly because of food fears. Once finals are over I’ll be working on my ED issues-changing the behavior first and hoping the mind follows. No matter how much I know/learn about nutrition the fears have a way of winning. Looking forward to using your recipes to help me recover and feel less alone in this.

125 Angela December 12, 2012

Hi Sam, I can relate to those feelings in earlier years (I used to have this fear about avocado as one example even though I took as many nutrition courses as I could sign up for). I wish you all the best with your recovery! Good luck finishing your finals too.

126 Sam December 12, 2012

Thanks so much Angela! Your support means more than you know. I think it’s especially tricky with all of that conflicting information out there, especially about fats, and especially from reputable plant-based sources. Sometimes I just don’t know what to think. Well, I’m tired of being afraid of food and I’m ready to enjoy life again! Your blog is the best medicine out there.

127 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2012

Thank you, I appreciate it so much! In the end, you just gotta do what makes YOU feel the best. That’s my humble opinion anyway. Keep me posted.

128 Sam December 25, 2012

I just made this today–DELICIOUS! Thanks Angela! :)

129 Joanna December 12, 2012

Gorgeous photos. Can’t wait to try the recipe.

130 The Cookie Fairy December 12, 2012

You’ve just combined two of my favourite foods! Lovely :)

131 Shana December 12, 2012

You know what else is ridiculous in two tablespoon servings? Salsa. I like to chew my food. Not coat chip with liquid.

132 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

hah yea salsa is another good example. We usually dump the jar in a bowl and polish off most of it between the two of us. This also just reminded me how GOOD homemade salsa is. I made some in the summer and froze a batch. I think it needs to come out!

133 Shana December 12, 2012

Good. Please enjoy it by the cup-full!

134 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife December 12, 2012

I love your regular hummus recipe so I’m sure this one will be fabulous! Thanks!!

135 Rhona December 12, 2012

This hummus looks amazing. My sister is coming to visit me for the week and this will be a nice welcome app upon her arrival with crisp pita chips. Thank you Angela, again, for another wonderful recipe.
PS, (and totally unrelated to this post. lol) I live in Kitchener now and eat at Thrive Juice bar often thanks to your post on that restaurant. The owner Jonnie is so nice and only has great things to say about you and he LOVES your blog. :)

136 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

Aw, that’s nice to hear. I’m glad you are enjoying Thrive. I haven’t been able to visit in ages!

137 Aileen Cohen December 12, 2012

If it is possible to overdue hummus consumption, I have done it. While I love hummus on anything, hummus and apple slices are my go to snack. Salty and sweet together. Great recipe.

138 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

Why have I never tried this before? I will report back.

139 Laura December 12, 2012

Great idea! Love the vibrant colour! Perfect for the holidays

140 Ashley December 12, 2012

Hahaha, I can totally relate. I’m so glad the doughnut baking is overrrr!! Love the green color of this. :)

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

hah I can imagine. Congrats on being done!

142 jodye @ chocolate & chou fleur December 12, 2012

You’re absolutely right about the hummus – I think it’s impossible to have to much, though my boyfriend would tell you otherwise; he looks on in horror at the amount I can eat in one sitting. Anyhow, I haven’t eaten edamame in a long while, but this hummus looks like a great way to incorporate it back into my meals. And I love the pretty green color!

143 Laura December 12, 2012

Haha, Angela, this post made me laugh! I am with you 1005 when it comes to hummus. I LOVE it and eat probably half a cup’s worth at a time…just kidding (I hope so). I can’t wait to try this recipe, though! I love edamame and all my attempts at making edamame hummus in the past have been disastrous : / Keep on eating your hummus!!!

144 [email protected] December 12, 2012

Love hummus and your’s looks so pretty! I’ve made edamame guac, but never hummus….can’t wait to give it a try!

145 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

You just reminded me how good edamame guac is! You could also easily throw in avocado or fresh herbs into this recipe too.

146 K December 14, 2012

I sometimes blend an avocado with cilantro and lime into my hummus. Yum!

147 Geosomin December 12, 2012

Looks delicious. We’re doing appetizer christmas this year instead of a big meal and this will be a perfect addition to the grazing table.

148 Alissa December 12, 2012

I have made this before and it is AMAZING! People won’t believe you that it’s Edamame because it’s that good! Thank you for a different take on the recipe I have, next time I will be making this one.

149 Beth December 12, 2012

Oh so excited about this! Trader Joe’s used to have an edamame hummus that we couldn’t get enough of. But something changed, and now it’s not as good. I will give this a try!

150 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 12, 2012

Edamame hummus is one of my favorite versions. Have you ever added miso to it? It’s divine!

151 Katie December 12, 2012

That looks delish!

Most people reading that magazine are probably wasting calories on bacon wrapped shrimp and pigs in a blanket, so more hummus for us veggies! Besides, it’s all about healthy fats and beans!

My omivore in-laws asked what kind of snacks they should get for me to have around during Christmas, and hummus was my first answer!

152 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

hummus is always the answer. muahuah

153 marctr December 12, 2012

I tend to prefer plant-based foods, but can’t consider myself vegetarian. When I was tracking my food and calories, I discovered when I was eating veg I had to “make sure” I was eating enough calories–a problem I didn’t mind having! So Katie is right, people who need to limit their hummus it is because they are eating a bunch of other junk, but really what they need to do is eat more low-cal veggies (with hummus!) and less high-cal meat and empty carbs. That is one problem I have with some diet programs, they say to limit high calorie foods like avocados, nuts, olive oil, when those are some of the yummiest ways for healthy foods to taste good! Not to mention getting nutrients and protein and healthy fats. When I’m eating right, I don’t need to limit anything, even to lose weight. That is why I love your recipes Angela!

154 Angela December 12, 2012

I’m glad you are enjoying the recipes, thanks for sharing!

155 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh December 12, 2012

A chef friend of our serves this in his restaurant and gave us the recipe over the summer. I think we lived on it from June – September!! Recipe is similar so I can vouch it is DELICIOUS!!! Make it people, you won’t regret it! :)

156 Melanie December 12, 2012

This hummus is calling my name – I adore edamame (just starting eating it recently…I can’t believe what I was missing!) Can’t wait to try it!

157 Miriam December 12, 2012

Omgoodness! I love Edamame ! And I love hummus.
Unfortunately over here (Belgium) you can only get Edamame in Sushi restaurants.
Hmm, I wonder where they get it from?

158 Lilu August 17, 2013

In Brussels you can buy it frozen in the big Chinese supermarket near Anspach boulevard.

159 Emma December 12, 2012

I’m completely with you on this one..2 T?! I hate all the madness you see in magazines cautioning about holiday eating.
This hummus looks great, I wish just thinking about the neglected bag of edamame in my freezer yesterday in fact. I must have missed you posting the red lentil hummus but that sounds fabulous too- it looks so creamy! Thanks for sharing.

160 Sarah December 12, 2012

I’ve always thought the 2-tablespoon-rule for hummus was ridiculous. Don’t skimp on the good stuff!
This recipe looks delicious, thank you! I’m already an addict of your other hummus recipes. The food processor is comin’ out!!

161 Kelly P December 12, 2012

Such a good idea! I was just thinking of what dip to serve at my party Saturday. While I love regular hummus, it’s not the prettiest of dips. This version is much more festive. :)