2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

Here is a sobering fact to start the work week: Home Alone 2 was created 20 years ago. Twenty.

culkin home alone scream thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

[source]

I know some of you reading weren’t born before 1992, but for the rest of us…..ahhh, indeed!

That means, Home alone 1 was created 22 years ago.

Ummm….stop that. Stop it right now.

Eric and I were innocently watching our beloved Home Alone 2 last night when some kid came on and ruined the whole thing by telling us how far away we are from 10 years old now.  lalala la la la lalala la la. I probably would’ve guessed the movie was 10 years old. I’m in time warp, clearly. Eric is also in denial. Live on, VHS, live on.

Sobering fact number two: It’s December 3rd!

Did you wake up Saturday morning in a bit of a shock? December always sneaks up on us, much like the twenty year anniversary of Home Alone 2. What can ya do. It’s time to get down to business!

I’ve put together my annual holiday gift ideas post highlighting some of my favourite gifts all in one cozy spot. It’s always worth repeating that I do not have an affiliation with any of the brands listed below nor are any of the links affiliates. I simply enjoy these products/services and think you might too!

Let’s begin, shall we?

1. Weck Canning Jars {Crate & Barrel, $3-5}

These jars are my go-to for gift-giving my homemade nut butters. They are just so darn cute and come in mini 4.5oz all the way up to 26oz.

weck canning jars thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

2. Oven Thermometre {try Kitchen Stuff Plus or Canadian Tire, $5}

Do you reeeeally know the true temperature of your oven? And do you reeeeally think it’s preheated correctly when it beeps to tell you it is? Odds are it’s not. My oven temp is way off so I keep this handy guy hanging in there at all times. Once you know, you can’t un-know, if you know what I mean. Find them at Canadian Tire, Kitchen Stuff Plus, or other home good stores. This would make a great stocking stuffer for the home cook!

images thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

3. Glass Storage Containers – oven and freezer safe {Crate & Barrel, $12-21}

These glass containers are 3 in 1 – as the website says, they go from “oven to table to freezer”!

refrigerator storage containers with silicone lids thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

4. Subscription to VegNews Magazine {via mail delivery or tree-free online magazine, $20 in US, $40 Canada}

My thoughtful father-in-law subscribed me to this magazine last year and I must say I have enjoyed every single issue. It’s a great gift for vegetarians, vegans, or those just looking to live a healthy, compassionate lifestyle.

images thumb1   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

5. Vanilla Bean Paste {Williams Sonoma, $19}

A lovely hybrid of vanilla extract and vanilla beans. This is a special occasion vanilla perfect to whip out for your holiday baking or stir into that special bowl of oatmeal…

ING vanilla bean paste sql thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

[source]

6. Zester/Grater {Microplane, $22}

Any time I need to grate fresh nutmeg, chocolate, limes, or lemons…I’m using this bad boy!

Please note: I am not responsible for your lost fingernail tips. Eek.

microplane zester grater 40020 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

[source]

7) 10-piece Glass Nesting Bowl Set {Crate & Barrel, $37}

Is there anything better than a nesting bowl set? I had no idea that’s what they are called, but it’s good to know. It’s perfect for the neat freak who is short on storage. That’s me, minus the neat freak part. Truth be told, I have some nesting bowls and I somehow manage to un-nest them in my cabinet. It drives Eric craaazy.

bowls 1 of 1 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

8. Anthropologie – various {Shown: Pitcher, $28; earrings, $32; Umbrella, $30}

Doesn’t Anthro have the coolest gifts? It’s always one of the first places I look when I need a unique gift for a friend. Whatever you do, check out Anthro’s sale room before you buy anything full price! You can score some amazing deals up to 70% off.

anthro thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

9. Give back and gift a Tree! {Ontario residents try Trees Ontario, $25 and up)

Why not give back to our wonderful earth during the holidays? Trees Ontario will plant 10 trees for a $25 donation. You can donate them in someone’s honour too. We are doing this this year since we are purchasing a real tree and thought it would be a good tradition to start. If you are outside of Ontario, simply google a similar organization in your own area. There are lots!

tree planting1 web 0505 mc 400x300 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

[source]

10. Soy Candles {Pacifica, $22}

I spotted these at Whole Foods and promptly fell in love with the Thai Lemongrass scent (among others). I hear the Mediterranean Fig is a great winter scent, but I haven’t tried it yet. You can read about how Brook and Billy started the Pacifica business here…it’s pretty inspiring how committed they are to the environment!

thai lemongrass soy candle 0 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

11. Sponsor a Farm Animal {various locations, see here for a huge listing}

Farm sanctuaries rescue, rehabilitate, nourish, and provide love and shelter to farm animals who had a rough start in life. Your sponsorship will help them care for and feed the animal giving it the life and respect it so deserves.

Farm Sanctuary Dorothy and Chico web res CREDIT Jean Liebenberg thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

12. Green Pans

I own a few Green pots and I love that they are an eco-friendly alternative to common chemicals found on traditional non-stick bakeware. I have the casserole, covered saucepan, and a skillet. I believe Costco sells the skillets in packs of two, if I’m not mistaken.

pan 1 of 1 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

13. Vegan shop owners on Etsy – choose from over 77,000 items!

If you are stuck on what to buy the vegan in your life (or anyone for that matter!) just head on over to Etsy. Bonus points for being able to search for local shop owners and support small business owners.

etsy 1 of 1 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

14. Glass D’harma Glass Straws, $10

Want to know the product question I am asked the most on Oh She Glows?

—> Where did you get your glass straws?

Yes, that’s the one. I’ve been asked it so much I added it to my FAQ page. I was sent the product to review a few years ago and have been using them in my daily smoothies ever since. Can we please ditch the plastic straws once and for all?

IMG 2817 2 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

15. Vegan food gifts

Why not give the gift of food to your loved ones this year by making food gifts yourself or by supporting local vegan bakeries? I gave a jar of my homemade Nutella as a hostess gift this weekend and it was a fun gift to give a chocolate lover.

homemade nutella vegan rawtella 8265 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

Well, that’s a wrap. I hope you’ve enjoyed this gift guide! Until next year…

Don’t forget to let me know below what’s on your gift list!

Kimmy December 3, 2012

So Home Alone 2 is my absolute favourite holiday movie of all time. My husband makes fun of me for this as it’s kind of a weird choice, but alas… I love it =)
I feel slightly old now though ;p
Thanks for sharing the great gift ideas! I only really have one person to buy for this year, but she’s kind of a toughie. I’ve been hitting up craft sales as I am stuck on the idea of buying something home-made/local, and some of your ideas are great!

Brittany December 3, 2012

Love these gift ideas Ange. I’m adding a few to my list. :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life December 3, 2012

I love magazine subscriptions as a gift – it’s the best! I never want to splurge on myself that much but always welcome people doing it for me ;).

And that is scary about Home Alone. I’m 27 so I guess it makes sense – I remember being about 5 or 6 when I watched the first one – but still!

Mary December 3, 2012

I am also in a total time warp when it come to movies. Some reason when I am doing math in my head to try and see how old a movie is, I still think it is the year 2000. So in this case Home Alone would only be 8 years old according to my skewed arithmetic. Then I realize I am 30 years old, and I was a kid when it came out. Reality check!
Oh and I totally asked for a VegNews subscription for Christmas, can’t wait! =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012

haha YES to all of this!!! That is me (rounding to 2000) bahaha

Sharla December 3, 2012

Soooo…these are all gifts we should buy ourselves, correct? Ok, thanks!

I’ve always liked the first HA a little better than the second, but maybe I need to rewatch them. I almost added the first to my Mandatory Christmas movies list, but since we don’t own any of them I don’t watch it every year. Now that I’ve been informed I was only 7 when it came out I will just go cry!!

a farmer in the dell December 3, 2012

My husband and I just watched Home Alone last night. Despite loving the movie we feel very old! 22 years is a longggg time (we are 30!)
Thanks for the gift ideas!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012

I feel ya…but we’ll always be young at heart right?

LauraD December 3, 2012

Somehow gift guides always turn into a holiday “wish list” for me ;) Every time I see anything from the Anthropologie catalogue I want it. Also, that “thai lemon grass” candle sounds amazing

kaity @ kaityscooking December 3, 2012

this is an awesome list ! that thermometer is def on my list my oven i dont think ever actually goes up to the right temp lol and whattttttttt 20 years! i feel old. lol

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 3, 2012

Oh my gosh, 22 years?!!? Gahhh that is making me feel so old now too. Granted, I was only 2 when the first one came out, but still! I love Christmas movies but the problem is that some of the ones I own are in VHS, and I only have a DVD player now! #moderndayproblems ???? LOL. These are such great gift ideas. I love the green pans you listed, and oh my gosh, anything from Anthropologie is amazing! I especially love their little jars with the chalkboard labels on them. Too cute!!

Vegan For 1 December 3, 2012

Wow I feel like you are reading my mind! Everything on this list I either want or plan to give, although my family is not so pumped about getting trees! Haha!

Sara December 3, 2012

I just visited the Farm Sanctuary in LA this past Sunday! It was such a reviving experience. I grew-up in (very) rural Minnesota and moved to the LA area 5.5 years ago. I’ve missed the feeling I get when I run around the farmland with the animals. Ugh they are just too cute! I HIGHLY recommend visiting any sanctuary if you have one in your area. The animals are adorable, where I visited had cute t-shirts, etc., and your visits help keep the sanctuary going! Thanks for posting that Angela. It’s crazy to think that not a lot of people even meet a cow, pig, chicken, etc., but thankfully these places give people of all ages the ability to do so :-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 3, 2012

I need that oven thermometer! The oven at my apartment is way off – and it unfortunately took a lot of burnt batches of granola and overcooked banana breads to realize this! :P

Dana December 3, 2012

I hope someone gets me some glass straws!! I hate my plastic ones but didnt know there was an other option! And I heading over now to subscribe myself to VegNews!

Lyric December 3, 2012

Homemade Nutella is such a good idea! I need some for anyone who wants to give me a gift ;)

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts December 4, 2012

I feel 10 years older now too. How does time go so quickly?!

These are great gift ideas :)

debbysunshine@veganamericanprincess December 4, 2012

I really love to give and receive tea gifts such as cute steeping cups, beautiful cast iron tea pots or flowering tea pots, tea gift sets, tea club subscriptions, loose leaf teas, etc. That’s just me!

Kim @ The Soulicious Life December 4, 2012

Great gift ideas, though I could have done without the wake-up call on the age of Home Alone. Yikes! lol. What’s on my list this year? This super cute vegan wallets from Hip Mountain Mama: http://www.hipmountainmama.com/lobivewa.html. Happy holidays!

Stacie December 4, 2012

This list is incredible! Lots of awesome ideas! Thanks for sharing :)
Hope all is well with you and Eric (and Sketchie)

Thanks for what you do!! I CAN’T wait for your cookbook :)

Erin December 4, 2012

Maybe i missed it, but what is the brand name of you pots/pans, i’ve been wanting to get some new ones and i’d love to find the ones you’re talking about:)

{Moni} @ Moni Meals December 4, 2012

20 years ago! Oh man! Feeling old now. :)

This is such a great holiday gift list. LOVE it! Thanks Ang.

jessica December 4, 2012

Hahahhahah!! That is hilarious! I did the exact same thing; I was watching Home Alone 2 on Sunday on YTV and my jaw dropped to the floor when I heard that it came out 20 years ago. I still can’t accept that I’m no longer a teenager!

Rachael December 4, 2012

Ah! We watch Home Alone 2 every year with our friends as we put up the Christmas decorations. My husband and my best friend (who have an extra special liking to this movie) have a pair of awesomely hideous turtle dove ornaments they “share.” So glad others enjoy this holiday gem as much as we do!

Awesome post with great ideas! As testimony, I couldn’t live without my microplane zester or subscription to VegNews!!!

(PS – your No Bake Peppermint Patty Bars are a staple in my house now. I take them to every gathering I can, and my husband is always depleting our stockpile. LOVE them!!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2012

Hey Rachael, I need to get some turtle doves stat! Every time I see the movie I’m like “ohhh I want some of those!” ;)
Glad you are enjoying the PP bars!

Taylor December 4, 2012

AHHH indeed!! 22..20 years ago?!? Explains why I still think the 90s were “last decade.”

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2012

hah I still do too :)

raechel @the rebel grrrl kitchen December 4, 2012

I am both lol-ing and also trying to keep from crying. WHERE DID MY YOUTH GO?! 22 years old…that means I am a person who is old enough to remember things that are *decades* old. You said it, “Ahh, indeed.”

Great gift round-up, though!

Sarah December 4, 2012

This is a GREAT list, Angela! Especially the glass storage containers (WHY plastic!???), the high quality vanilla extract (makes SUCH a HUGE difference), and the microplane (how could one live without??) Happy Holidays! :D

Kathryn December 4, 2012

Fantastic gift list, thanks for sharing. And I cannot believe Home Alone was made that long ago. I’m planning on giving an AGO membership to a loved one.

Monica@Your Model Chef December 4, 2012

OKAY. I need that zester-grater thing…asap! Lol, thanks for posting this. So much fun.

Jen @ Passport to Bliss December 4, 2012

20 years? Wow…it’s amazing how fast time flies! I’m watching “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” right now…and I don’t even want to know how old that show is!!! lol!
Thanks for the great gift ideas! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2012

hahah omg I don’t know but I remember thinking it was so old when I was a young kid watching it!

Dawn @ Florida Coastal Cooking December 5, 2012

I love the farm sanctuary idea and the soy candles look amazing!

Radhika Sarohia December 6, 2012

The farm sanctuary idea is awesome
And that vegan vanilla paste looks pretty cool too! I’ve never even heard of vanilla paste haha
I buy vegan pendants on Etsy:D

Alyssa December 9, 2012

Yeah, Titanic had their 15 year anniversary this year. I saw that and was like “no way, I wasn’t 5 when that came out”. But after a few moments, I realized, I am not 20, I am 30 and I was 15 when that came out. Oh my gosh, I am in such a time warp.

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit December 11, 2012

Yikes!! It is crazy how old the original Home Alone movies are. Great round-up of holiday gift ideas. I’m really digging that glass straw! :)

Page 2 of 2«12