Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient!

drop biscuits 7978 thumb   Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient!

Last week, I set on a mission to create a quick and easy biscuit recipe free from shortening, butter, or lard. In terms of easy biscuit recipes, I knew a drop biscuit would fit the bill. When I’m making a meal around the holidays the last thing I want to add to my list is rolling dough in an already chaotic kitchen. That’s why drop biscuits are a time-crunched cook’s best friend!

You just mix, drop, and bake. No rolling pin required.

drop biscuits 7972 thumb   Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient!

As for replacing the shortening/butter, I had a theory that chilled coconut oil could do the trick. My only concern was how it would impact the flavour (I’ll give you my thoughts on this below).

I spread coconut oil onto a parchment-lined pan and then stuck it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes:

drop biscuits 7955 thumb   Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient!

After freezing, the coconut oil is hard as a rock and ready to be cut into the dry ingredients:

drop biscuits 7956 thumb   Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient!

Cut in the coconut oil until it’s the size of peas.

drop biscuits 7957 thumb   Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient!

Add the (freezer chilled) almond milk and stir until just combined. Fold in the fresh herbs and vegan shredded cheese.

drop biscuits 7958 thumb   Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient! drop biscuits 7966 thumb   Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient!drop biscuits 7967 thumb   Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient!

Now for the best part – simply drop 8-10 spoonfuls of dough onto a prepared baking sheet. Easy! Bake for 18-20 minutes at 425F until golden and crispy. The outer shell and bottoms get so nicely crisp, crunchy, and golden while the interior stays soft and “buttery”. Serve with vegan gravy, cranberry sauce, and/or a pat of vegan butter.

drop biscuits 7968 thumb   Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient! drop biscuits 7971 thumb   Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient!drop biscuits 7983 thumb   Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient!

Herb and Cheese Drop Biscuits

Email, text, or print this recipe

Adapted from: All Recipes

• 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, minced
  • 5.5 tbsp coconut oil, frozen
  • 1 cup unsweetened and unflavoured almond milk
  • 1/4-1/3 cup vegan shredded cheese (I used Daiya), optional

1. Preheat oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Line a small plate with parchment paper and spread on the coconut oil into a layer about 1/2-inch wide. Place in the freezer until solid, for about 5-10 minutes. Place the cup of milk in the freezer to chill as well.

3. Meanwhile, whisk the flours, baking powder, sugar, salt, and garlic powder together in a large bowl.

4. Using a pastry cutter, cut the frozen coconut oil into the dry ingredients until it’s the size of small peas. Make sure not to leave any large chunks.

5. Pour chilled almond milk over the dry ingredients + coconut oil mixture and stir until just combined. If your scoops of flour were heavy-handed you may need to add a tablespoon or two more milk. Fold in the herbs and shredded cheeze.

6. Drop about 8-10 biscuits all over the baking sheet, leaving 2-3 inches between each biscuit. Bake for 10 minutes, rotate the pan, and then bake for an additional 8-10 minutes longer watching closely. Biscuits are ready when golden. Serve warm.

drop biscuits coconut oil 8012 thumb   Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient!

Substitution Questions

Do the biscuits taste too much like coconut? My taste buds told me no. While there is a hint of coconut, it’s not overpowering; if anything, it adds a very light sweetness to the biscuits. Considering we ate our weight in biscuits last week, I’d say they went over quite well.

Can I make these without the vegan cheese? Yes you most certainly can!

Can I omit the sugar? I compared trials with and without the sugar and the sugar was by far the best-tasting version. I don’t recommend leaving it out – they taste a bit flat without it.

Can I use different herbs? What about dry herbs? Feel free to play around with the herbs and mix-ins! I used a few different combos in my trials and they were all quite good. While I always prefer the flavour of fresh herbs, you can use dried if you wish. I would probably use half the amount of rosemary and thyme (1/2 tsp each).

Can I sub different flours? I made a trial using only whole wheat pastry flour and I wasn’t as happy with the flavour and texture, which is why I stuck with 1 cup unbleached AP flour and 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour. If anyone tries this recipe using all-purpose gluten-free flour (or other flours), please let us know how it turns out in the comments!

Oh and whatever you do, serve them warm. :)

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh November 16, 2012

Girl, you are definitely giving me good reasons to break out my coconut oil down there and I thank you! I NEVER would’ve thought to freeze it to cut it in like that which is why you are you and I am me! HA!

Have a great weekend!

Osgmom November 16, 2012

I can’t wait to make these!! I have always been a lover of homemade biscuits but now that I have a recipe that I can use Coconut Oil in is fantastic :) I’m with you in that I love a great tasting homemade recipe that is quick, easy to prepare & tasty.

Abby@ The Frosted Vegan November 16, 2012

You must be reading my mind! I was just thinking about the use of coconut oil vs. vegan butter and tried it in a pie crust. I LOVE these kind of biscuits, so this is happening with our soup tonight for dinner : )

Tara November 16, 2012

These look so yummy! We’ve newly gone gluten free in the last few months so I will try to convert it and let you know how it turns out!

Melanie November 16, 2012

Would love to hear how these turn out for you Tara as we are gluten free in our household too.

Natasha November 18, 2012

I made these last night for my household and they are so delicious!
In terms of swapping the flours to make it gluten free I used: 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour and instead of pastry flour I used 1 cup quinoa flour…
Also, I used regular almond milk (not the unsweetened version) and was able to cut out half the amount of sugar.
Thanks for all the great recipes, Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

Thanks so much for the feedback! Im sure this will help others out too :) I’ll have to try it that way next time.

DIANE December 3, 2012

A big thank you for testing a gluten-free version of this– thanks to you, this is now on my menu for Christmas dinner.

Karina November 19, 2013

Did you add Xantham gum to the recipe?

Amy November 16, 2012

These look great! I admittedly don’t know much about the (health, etc) differences between virgin coconut oil and refined, but I know the latter doesn’t taste coconutty. I’d think that would work just as well, for the coconut-wary? :)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables November 16, 2012

YUM!!! Those sound absolutely fantastic!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar November 16, 2012

These sound so awesome! Perfect for soup dipping.

Ashley November 16, 2012

I adore drop biscuits! I actually have a hybrid drop biscuit doughnut recipe going in the book! Have a great weekend, Ange.

Sarah @ Yogi in Action November 16, 2012

I wish I was at home to make these right now! Looks DELICIOUS!

Sami November 16, 2012

I think garbanzo bean flour in place of the bleached would be perfect! :)

Heather November 16, 2012

Me thinks these might make it to the Turkey Day table. Also, I’ve tried so many of your recipes and they always turn out amazing. It seems like you have great ‘quality control’ in your kitchen; keep up the good work! xoxo

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2012

Thank you Heather! I hope you enjoy the biscuits if you try them out.

Rose November 16, 2012

Love it! The husband wants bread for t-day but I don’t want to deal with yeast or more shopping. I can make these from things already in the house and he can carb it up! Thank you! :)

Meg November 16, 2012

I made your recipe but I used Pal Sugar in place of the sugar and they tasted great!

Kris | iheartwellness.com November 16, 2012

I think…just think…I could get used to these being dipped into a warm soup this time of year!! YUM!

I put coconut oil in everything for a “buttery” taste and feel :)

Happy Weekend! xxoo

Shira November 16, 2012

Hi Angela,
These look amazing, and being allergic to dairy, I always miss biscuits so much at family dinners! I will be bringing these to the next one, daiya cheese included :) I bet they’ll beat out the traditional ones. I was wondering, I don’t really ever use coconut oil, what do you think of using earth balance chilled in the freezer? Also, I’m not sure if it was just for health purposes, but isn’t shortening (like vegetable crisco) vegan??

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2012

Hi Shira, Yes I believe vegetable shortening is indeed vegan! I was just looking for a healthier fat to use in this recipe. I also think frozen earth balance would work too. Enjoy!

Niki November 16, 2012

I was semi expecting the secret ingredient to be avacado! These look yummy and I can’t wait to try them :)

Alex @ Raw Recovery November 16, 2012

These remind me of the biscuits they serve at the restaurant Red Lobster. I remember when I was really little I went one time with my parents and because I didn’t like fish or meat I had a salad and about three of those biscuits :) You’ve stolen my heart for making a vegan version!

Addy @ Six-Kick Switch November 16, 2012

So smart of you to use frozen coconut oil! I bet it gives these a great flavor…I can’t wait to try it!

Erica @ Coffee & Quinoa November 16, 2012

Yum! Vegan cheese is generally not my thing, but I have a feeling these could please even the omnivores at our Thanksgiving table. Will be trying for sure!

Cassandra @ TheScienceofFood November 16, 2012

You and I are on the same wavelength, I was just thinking that I should make some savoury scones, the only thing is that I’m desperately searching a concept without cheese (I’m not a fan of vegan cheese), I am completely lost as to what I can replace cheese with.

sarah November 16, 2012

maybe nutritional yeast to give it the cheesy flavour?

Tatomme November 16, 2012

Wow — I was actually thinking about this exact thing yesterday (sub jalapeno for herb though!) And wah-lah you came up with the perfect recipes! So I made these immediately!! I subbed oat flour for all-purpose and palm for cane sugar…But these were amazing Angela! Thank you!!!!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama November 16, 2012

Great idea using coconut oil! I’ll have to give these a try. Drop biscuits are my fave.

Monica@Your Model Chef November 16, 2012

Wow, these look incredible. I love coconut oil and I’m trying to incorporate it into my recipes more often. I’ll have to try this recipe. Thank you!

Lia November 16, 2012

Thank you. I’ve tried making drop biscuits in the past and failed every single time. I figured it was easy, but I couldn’t get the flavor right. I’ll try these and see how it goes. I have a feeling I wasn’t using enough fat and I had no sugar in my recipes. I love cheese herb biscuits though, so this is just great.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 16, 2012

I love bread that mixes in herbs – yum!

Jasmin November 16, 2012

Where do you get your whole wheat pastry flour from? I went to a health food store in Newmarket (Nature’s Emporium) but could only find a whole grain all purpose and pastry flour. Maybe another store or online?

Jasmin November 16, 2012

Also, I made these with the whole grain all purpose and pastry flour that I had and they are really good! Maybe a little bit dense for biscuits but still good! I have Daiya cheese but I don’t like it so I didn’t add any. Instead I put in a tablespoon or so of nutritional yeast.

Somer November 17, 2012

Jasmin, this is the whole wheat pastry flour I use and love!
I can find it at all kinds of grocery stores in my area, but you can also buy it online directly from Bob’s Red Mill. It’s incredible for cookies, muffins, pie crusts and of course, biscuits!

Catherine Hellman November 27, 2012

Try http://www.king arthur flour for the whole pastry flour .They have the ancient grain flour which is pretty amazing also…

Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian November 16, 2012

Might just try these out…after all there is a huge tub of coconut oil sitting in my house begging to be used!

kaity @ kaityscooking November 16, 2012

yumMM! these look soo easy and look just like the ones my grandma use to make, except yours are 100x healthier lol, there deff going on the thanksgiving menu!

Mandi November 16, 2012

I never thought to make drop biscuits with coconut oil. I did make Devil Dogs with it. I subbed out the shortening in the frosting and it came out pretty tasty.

Averie @ Averie Cooks November 17, 2012

They look so good and frozen coconut oil – wow, smart thinking! I bet it adds the perfect texture and just tiny touch of flavor. And I like how you addressed all the…Can I….questions in the end. Smart thinking :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 17, 2012

What an amazing looking biscuit! The first photo makes me want to make them right now! I’m thinking of having them with breakfast!! Yummy!

Evangeline November 17, 2012

I made these last night and they are delicious the coconut oil adds a nice flavor!! Will be making them again soon, thank you :)

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings November 17, 2012

These are a perfect side for Thanksgiving! I love biscuits in general but cheesy, herb biscuits are even better :) Hope you have a great weekend!

Somer November 17, 2012

I’ve frozen coconut oil into a cylinder before and then grated it with a cheese grater for applications like this. Then you simply stir the grated coconut oil into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon. For some reason, not having to use a pastry cutter to combine the flours and oil makes recipes turn out even fluffier :)

CatbirdFarm October 2, 2013

Whoa, that is a great tip! So smart!

{Moni} @ Moni Meals November 17, 2012

No these I HAVE GOT to make. Thanksgiving for sure is the plan. ;) Thanks Ang!!

Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie November 17, 2012

I made these and they turned out great! I mixed some gluten-free flours (all-purpose Bob’s Mill, garbanzo bean, almond meal & coconut flour) and they were DELICIOUS! Didn’t affect the texture at all. Love the hint of coconut, they smelled just as amazing as they tasted.

Victor November 17, 2012

I’m at red ventures. It’s a company where my brother is applying for a scholarship….and here they have what they call a “green monster”. They ripped you off Angie!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 17, 2012

Mmm I would love one of these with a bowl of soup right now! They sound delicious, and I love the simplicity of them! Not sure if I already mentioned this in a previous comment, but the header you have now is definitely my favourite one so far on your blog. Great work Ange!

barb November 17, 2012

I like to avoid grains when possible and i don’t eat wheat, so instead of spelt am going to try grinding some sprouted buckwheat into flour and maybe add a touch of coconut flour and see what happens! I’ll let you know

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

yes please let me know!

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen November 17, 2012

I make a sweet potato biscuit and I subbed with coconut oil too and I *love* the results! They are the fluffiest, most delicious (non-vegan) biscuits I’ve ever made. I will never not use coconut oil again!

Page 1 of 3123»