Herb & Cheese Drop Biscuits… with a secret ingredient!

drop biscuits-7978

Last week, I set on a mission to create a quick and easy biscuit recipe free from shortening, butter, or lard. In terms of easy biscuit recipes, I knew a drop biscuit would fit the bill. When I’m making a meal around the holidays the last thing I want to add to my list is rolling dough in an already chaotic kitchen. That’s why drop biscuits are a time-crunched cook’s best friend!

You just mix, drop, and bake. No rolling pin required.

drop biscuits-7972

As for replacing the shortening/butter, I had a theory that chilled coconut oil could do the trick. My only concern was how it would impact the flavour (I’ll give you my thoughts on this below).

I spread coconut oil onto a parchment-lined pan and then stuck it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes:

drop biscuits-7955

After freezing, the coconut oil is hard as a rock and ready to be cut into the dry ingredients:

drop biscuits-7956

Cut in the coconut oil until it’s the size of peas.

drop biscuits-7957

Add the (freezer chilled) almond milk and stir until just combined. Fold in the fresh herbs and vegan shredded cheese.

drop biscuits-7958 drop biscuits-7966drop biscuits-7967

Now for the best part – simply drop 8-10 spoonfuls of dough onto a prepared baking sheet. Easy! Bake for 18-20 minutes at 425F until golden and crispy. The outer shell and bottoms get so nicely crisp, crunchy, and golden while the interior stays soft and “buttery”. Serve with vegan gravy, cranberry sauce, and/or a pat of vegan butter.

drop biscuits-7968 drop biscuits-7971drop biscuits-7983

Herb and Cheese Drop Biscuits

Email, text, or print this recipe

Adapted from: All Recipes

• 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, minced
  • 5.5 tbsp coconut oil, frozen
  • 1 cup unsweetened and unflavoured almond milk
  • 1/4-1/3 cup vegan shredded cheese (I used Daiya), optional

1. Preheat oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Line a small plate with parchment paper and spread on the coconut oil into a layer about 1/2-inch wide. Place in the freezer until solid, for about 5-10 minutes. Place the cup of milk in the freezer to chill as well.

3. Meanwhile, whisk the flours, baking powder, sugar, salt, and garlic powder together in a large bowl.

4. Using a pastry cutter, cut the frozen coconut oil into the dry ingredients until it’s the size of small peas. Make sure not to leave any large chunks.

5. Pour chilled almond milk over the dry ingredients + coconut oil mixture and stir until just combined. If your scoops of flour were heavy-handed you may need to add a tablespoon or two more milk. Fold in the herbs and shredded cheeze.

6. Drop about 8-10 biscuits all over the baking sheet, leaving 2-3 inches between each biscuit. Bake for 10 minutes, rotate the pan, and then bake for an additional 8-10 minutes longer watching closely. Biscuits are ready when golden. Serve warm.

drop biscuits coconut oil-8012

Substitution Questions

Do the biscuits taste too much like coconut? My taste buds told me no. While there is a hint of coconut, it’s not overpowering; if anything, it adds a very light sweetness to the biscuits. Considering we ate our weight in biscuits last week, I’d say they went over quite well.

Can I make these without the vegan cheese? Yes you most certainly can!

Can I omit the sugar? I compared trials with and without the sugar and the sugar was by far the best-tasting version. I don’t recommend leaving it out – they taste a bit flat without it.

Can I use different herbs? What about dry herbs? Feel free to play around with the herbs and mix-ins! I used a few different combos in my trials and they were all quite good. While I always prefer the flavour of fresh herbs, you can use dried if you wish. I would probably use half the amount of rosemary and thyme (1/2 tsp each).

Can I sub different flours? I made a trial using only whole wheat pastry flour and I wasn’t as happy with the flavour and texture, which is why I stuck with 1 cup unbleached AP flour and 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour. If anyone tries this recipe using all-purpose gluten-free flour (or other flours), please let us know how it turns out in the comments!

Oh and whatever you do, serve them warm. :)

1 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh November 16, 2012

Girl, you are definitely giving me good reasons to break out my coconut oil down there and I thank you! I NEVER would’ve thought to freeze it to cut it in like that which is why you are you and I am me! HA!

Have a great weekend!

2 Osgmom November 16, 2012

I can’t wait to make these!! I have always been a lover of homemade biscuits but now that I have a recipe that I can use Coconut Oil in is fantastic :) I’m with you in that I love a great tasting homemade recipe that is quick, easy to prepare & tasty.

3 Abby@ The Frosted Vegan November 16, 2012

You must be reading my mind! I was just thinking about the use of coconut oil vs. vegan butter and tried it in a pie crust. I LOVE these kind of biscuits, so this is happening with our soup tonight for dinner : )

4 Tara November 16, 2012

These look so yummy! We’ve newly gone gluten free in the last few months so I will try to convert it and let you know how it turns out!

5 Melanie November 16, 2012

Would love to hear how these turn out for you Tara as we are gluten free in our household too.

6 Natasha November 18, 2012

I made these last night for my household and they are so delicious!
In terms of swapping the flours to make it gluten free I used: 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour and instead of pastry flour I used 1 cup quinoa flour…
Also, I used regular almond milk (not the unsweetened version) and was able to cut out half the amount of sugar.
Thanks for all the great recipes, Angela!

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

Thanks so much for the feedback! Im sure this will help others out too :) I’ll have to try it that way next time.

8 DIANE December 3, 2012

A big thank you for testing a gluten-free version of this– thanks to you, this is now on my menu for Christmas dinner.

9 Karina November 19, 2013

Did you add Xantham gum to the recipe?

10 Amy November 16, 2012

These look great! I admittedly don’t know much about the (health, etc) differences between virgin coconut oil and refined, but I know the latter doesn’t taste coconutty. I’d think that would work just as well, for the coconut-wary? :)

11 Liz @ IHeartVegetables November 16, 2012

YUM!!! Those sound absolutely fantastic!

12 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar November 16, 2012

These sound so awesome! Perfect for soup dipping.

13 Ashley November 16, 2012

I adore drop biscuits! I actually have a hybrid drop biscuit doughnut recipe going in the book! Have a great weekend, Ange.

14 Sarah @ Yogi in Action November 16, 2012

I wish I was at home to make these right now! Looks DELICIOUS!

15 Sami November 16, 2012

I think garbanzo bean flour in place of the bleached would be perfect! :)

16 Heather November 16, 2012

Me thinks these might make it to the Turkey Day table. Also, I’ve tried so many of your recipes and they always turn out amazing. It seems like you have great ‘quality control’ in your kitchen; keep up the good work! xoxo

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2012

Thank you Heather! I hope you enjoy the biscuits if you try them out.

18 Rose November 16, 2012

Love it! The husband wants bread for t-day but I don’t want to deal with yeast or more shopping. I can make these from things already in the house and he can carb it up! Thank you! :)

19 Meg November 16, 2012

I made your recipe but I used Pal Sugar in place of the sugar and they tasted great!

20 Kris | iheartwellness.com November 16, 2012

I think…just think…I could get used to these being dipped into a warm soup this time of year!! YUM!

I put coconut oil in everything for a “buttery” taste and feel :)

Happy Weekend! xxoo

21 Shira November 16, 2012

Hi Angela,
These look amazing, and being allergic to dairy, I always miss biscuits so much at family dinners! I will be bringing these to the next one, daiya cheese included :) I bet they’ll beat out the traditional ones. I was wondering, I don’t really ever use coconut oil, what do you think of using earth balance chilled in the freezer? Also, I’m not sure if it was just for health purposes, but isn’t shortening (like vegetable crisco) vegan??

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2012

Hi Shira, Yes I believe vegetable shortening is indeed vegan! I was just looking for a healthier fat to use in this recipe. I also think frozen earth balance would work too. Enjoy!

23 Niki November 16, 2012

I was semi expecting the secret ingredient to be avacado! These look yummy and I can’t wait to try them :)

24 Alex @ Raw Recovery November 16, 2012

These remind me of the biscuits they serve at the restaurant Red Lobster. I remember when I was really little I went one time with my parents and because I didn’t like fish or meat I had a salad and about three of those biscuits :) You’ve stolen my heart for making a vegan version!

25 Addy @ Six-Kick Switch November 16, 2012

So smart of you to use frozen coconut oil! I bet it gives these a great flavor…I can’t wait to try it!

26 Erica @ Coffee & Quinoa November 16, 2012

Yum! Vegan cheese is generally not my thing, but I have a feeling these could please even the omnivores at our Thanksgiving table. Will be trying for sure!

27 Cassandra @ TheScienceofFood November 16, 2012

You and I are on the same wavelength, I was just thinking that I should make some savoury scones, the only thing is that I’m desperately searching a concept without cheese (I’m not a fan of vegan cheese), I am completely lost as to what I can replace cheese with.

28 sarah November 16, 2012

maybe nutritional yeast to give it the cheesy flavour?

29 Tatomme November 16, 2012

Wow — I was actually thinking about this exact thing yesterday (sub jalapeno for herb though!) And wah-lah you came up with the perfect recipes! So I made these immediately!! I subbed oat flour for all-purpose and palm for cane sugar…But these were amazing Angela! Thank you!!!!

30 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama November 16, 2012

Great idea using coconut oil! I’ll have to give these a try. Drop biscuits are my fave.

31 Monica@Your Model Chef November 16, 2012

Wow, these look incredible. I love coconut oil and I’m trying to incorporate it into my recipes more often. I’ll have to try this recipe. Thank you!

32 Lia November 16, 2012

Thank you. I’ve tried making drop biscuits in the past and failed every single time. I figured it was easy, but I couldn’t get the flavor right. I’ll try these and see how it goes. I have a feeling I wasn’t using enough fat and I had no sugar in my recipes. I love cheese herb biscuits though, so this is just great.

33 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 16, 2012

I love bread that mixes in herbs – yum!

34 Jasmin November 16, 2012

Where do you get your whole wheat pastry flour from? I went to a health food store in Newmarket (Nature’s Emporium) but could only find a whole grain all purpose and pastry flour. Maybe another store or online?

35 Jasmin November 16, 2012

Also, I made these with the whole grain all purpose and pastry flour that I had and they are really good! Maybe a little bit dense for biscuits but still good! I have Daiya cheese but I don’t like it so I didn’t add any. Instead I put in a tablespoon or so of nutritional yeast.

36 Somer November 17, 2012

Jasmin, this is the whole wheat pastry flour I use and love!
I can find it at all kinds of grocery stores in my area, but you can also buy it online directly from Bob’s Red Mill. It’s incredible for cookies, muffins, pie crusts and of course, biscuits!

37 Catherine Hellman November 27, 2012

Try http://www.king arthur flour for the whole pastry flour .They have the ancient grain flour which is pretty amazing also…

38 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian November 16, 2012

Might just try these out…after all there is a huge tub of coconut oil sitting in my house begging to be used!

39 kaity @ kaityscooking November 16, 2012

yumMM! these look soo easy and look just like the ones my grandma use to make, except yours are 100x healthier lol, there deff going on the thanksgiving menu!

40 Mandi November 16, 2012

I never thought to make drop biscuits with coconut oil. I did make Devil Dogs with it. I subbed out the shortening in the frosting and it came out pretty tasty.

41 Averie @ Averie Cooks November 17, 2012

They look so good and frozen coconut oil – wow, smart thinking! I bet it adds the perfect texture and just tiny touch of flavor. And I like how you addressed all the…Can I….questions in the end. Smart thinking :)

42 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 17, 2012

What an amazing looking biscuit! The first photo makes me want to make them right now! I’m thinking of having them with breakfast!! Yummy!

43 Evangeline November 17, 2012

I made these last night and they are delicious the coconut oil adds a nice flavor!! Will be making them again soon, thank you :)

44 Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings November 17, 2012

These are a perfect side for Thanksgiving! I love biscuits in general but cheesy, herb biscuits are even better :) Hope you have a great weekend!

45 Somer November 17, 2012

I’ve frozen coconut oil into a cylinder before and then grated it with a cheese grater for applications like this. Then you simply stir the grated coconut oil into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon. For some reason, not having to use a pastry cutter to combine the flours and oil makes recipes turn out even fluffier :)

46 CatbirdFarm October 2, 2013

Whoa, that is a great tip! So smart!

47 {Moni} @ Moni Meals November 17, 2012

No these I HAVE GOT to make. Thanksgiving for sure is the plan. ;) Thanks Ang!!

48 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie November 17, 2012

I made these and they turned out great! I mixed some gluten-free flours (all-purpose Bob’s Mill, garbanzo bean, almond meal & coconut flour) and they were DELICIOUS! Didn’t affect the texture at all. Love the hint of coconut, they smelled just as amazing as they tasted.

49 Victor November 17, 2012

I’m at red ventures. It’s a company where my brother is applying for a scholarship….and here they have what they call a “green monster”. They ripped you off Angie!

50 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 17, 2012

Mmm I would love one of these with a bowl of soup right now! They sound delicious, and I love the simplicity of them! Not sure if I already mentioned this in a previous comment, but the header you have now is definitely my favourite one so far on your blog. Great work Ange!

51 barb November 17, 2012

I like to avoid grains when possible and i don’t eat wheat, so instead of spelt am going to try grinding some sprouted buckwheat into flour and maybe add a touch of coconut flour and see what happens! I’ll let you know

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

yes please let me know!

53 Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen November 17, 2012

I make a sweet potato biscuit and I subbed with coconut oil too and I *love* the results! They are the fluffiest, most delicious (non-vegan) biscuits I’ve ever made. I will never not use coconut oil again!

54 Miron Alexandru November 17, 2012

Well, you make them look good. Don’t know about the taste, YET

55 Louie from Live Healthy November 17, 2012

Thanks so much for the recipe. My wife loves these types of savory snacks. I’ll give it a go! I’m not the greatest cook, but the way you lay out your recipes males it simple to follow :)

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

you can do it! :) Let me know how it goes

57 Michelle November 17, 2012

Drop biscuits are my fav!

58 Mandy November 18, 2012

These look yummy. What do you call that implement you use to ‘rub in’ the fat? One of the off-putting things about pastry and crumble making is the greasy fingers!

59 alfred November 18, 2012

this look good. it make me hungry. maybe i will tried to make it.

60 Dawn @ Florida Coastal Cooking November 18, 2012

I have never been a great baker but these look like something I could do!

61 Barb in Pennsylvania November 18, 2012

great! Just had them for breakfast. Definitely good when warm. Thanks!

62 Jess November 18, 2012

Yum! My daughter and I made these last night and ate with some mushroom gravy and steamed cauliflower, delish!

Also, I used all spelt flour and added some shortening (since I had some on hand), they turned out great! It was a good practice run, now I think we will make them to bring to thanksgiving.

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

I’m so happy to hear that Jess!

64 debbysunshine@veganamericanprincess November 18, 2012

Is that Daiya’s vegan cheddar? Nutritional yeast might be a good option too. These look amazing.

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

Yes it is :) Yes nooch might work too!

66 Diana @ frontyardfoodie November 18, 2012

Aaaaah, freeze coconut oil, very good idea. I always struggle to make stuff like this with coconut oil since it’s never hard enough but obviously freezing would do the trick.

67 Karoline November 18, 2012

These are amazing. I actually had all the ingredients, so made them yesterday morning. We enjoyed them as breakfast with coffee. And then with a warm celery root lentil salad for dinner. And now again, today, with roasted red pepper & tomato soup for lunch.

Thank you! These will be made again. And again.

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

Aw I’m so happy to hear that! I love them at breakfast too – had some yesterday. enjoy!

69 Aimee November 18, 2012

Can the dough be made a day ahead? Or would it be better to bake ahead and then reheat the day of?

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

You could prepare the dry ingredients ahead but I wouldnt suggest mixing it up and baking it until just before the meal.

71 goreti Tada November 18, 2012

OMG!!! I made these yesterday along with your Lentil Loaf. Both were freaking amazing!!! Gonna make both recipes again for Thanksgiving.

72 Molly @ RDexposed November 19, 2012

Ha-I like how you already addressed the typical recipe alteration questions.
Your giraffe-like coffee mug in the background-where’d you get it?

73 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 19, 2012

It’s from Homesense :)

74 Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day November 19, 2012

Oh my goodness, these look AMAZING! May have to give them a try for Thanksgiving!

75 Cookie and Kate November 19, 2012

These look fantastic, Angela! I’ve been curious about substituting coconut oil for butter in savory baked goods and I’m glad to know it works well for you.

76 Rebecca November 19, 2012

I made these last night and accidentally grabbed the baking soda instead of the powder! Total fail, lol. I was tryin to figure out why they tasted so bitter and that’s when I opened the pantry and realized my mistake. First time for everything! I also made the double chocolate torte for dessert and it was SO yummy! No one was able to guess the mousse was made with avocado! Love your recipes :)

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 19, 2012

Aw bummer! Ive done that before! Better luck next time.
So glad you enjoyed the torte!

78 Hayley November 19, 2012

I tried these yesterday and really enjoyed them! I can’t taste any coconut in them even when using the virgin stuff that smells very coconutty (just fyi to those concerned about this). Mine came out a bit dry… reminded me of KFC’s biscuits that I ate years ago, texture-wise. I probably should have added more milk. Now I know. Either way, I never minded the texture of KFC’s biscuits, despite my intense dislike of the fast food industry these days. What I love most about these biscuits besides the delicious herb usage, the perfectly salty, buttery taste… it’s all healthy! LOVE this. :-) Angela, you rock! I’m counting on you for this holiday season. <3

79 Sharon Vincello November 20, 2012

My goodness! These look delish. I make a similar biscuit using half all-purpose flour, and half brown rice flour. I also enjoy using the coconut oil as the fat in the biscuit … it gives a great flavor. My secret weapon is making a vegan “buttermilk” by adding 1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar to the soy milk. Also, since I’m only allergic to cow’s milk, I like putting 2 T. of plain goat milk yogurt into the mix … the flavor is incredible!!!

80 Taylor November 20, 2012

Made these this morning with spelt flour and nutritional yeast instead of daiya. Turned out perfectly!

81 Debi November 21, 2012

I made these with a homemade gluten free flour mix (in place of the flours) and added 1/3 c of nutritional yeast instead of the Diaya Cheese. There were FANTASTIC!! There were deliciously aromatic, crunchy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside. Here is the recipe for the homemade gluten free flour mix that I used. 2 c sorghum flour, 1.5 c potato starch, 2 c of brown rice flour, 1 c of sweet white rice flour, .5 c of tapioca flour, .5 c amaranth flour, .5 c quinoa flour.

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

Awesome! Thank you so much for letting us all know. :)

83 Nancye November 23, 2012

I bought Coconut butter today, organic at that. Can I use the Coconut butter? Thanks in advance…

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

Hey there, Im sorry Im not sure! Let me know if you try it out.

85 Kayti November 27, 2012

I have Earth Balance coconut butter and have used it for other stuff. I’m sure it would work out great in this recipe! I wouldn’t freeze it for more than 2-3 minutes though.

86 Nancye November 27, 2012

Thanks Kayti, and Angela…

I will let you know how they turn out. Having Chronic Kidney Disease I have to use a salt free whole wheat flour, and it’s rather heavy, so I’m hoping the ‘scones’ will turn out, sorry they look like what we call scones here in Australia…also we cannot get Daiya cheese in Australia, so I guess I’ll have to comprise there too!

PS: To you Angela, and all your foodie followers, I wish you all a safe and “Merry Christmas, and may the New Year bring you much love and happiness throughout!”

87 Cristina November 23, 2012

Hello Angela! I made these for Thanksgiving (where omnivores were present) and everyone loved them!!!! They were such a hit! I made them exactly as you wrote the recipe. Thanks so much! You are amazing… as usual :)

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

Aw im so happy to hear that Cristina!

89 Erica @ Coffee & Quinoa November 23, 2012

I made these for Thanksgiving and they were a big hit! The coconut oil is a perfect sub for shortening/butter; they tasted exactly like biscuits should.

90 Jackie November 26, 2012

I want to try these again… I didn’t have any fresh herbs on hand, so I used dried, but I think they were kind of old so they didn’t have the best herb-y flavor (my bad). Also I think I added a tad too much milk. My fiance scarfed them up anyway!

91 Kayti November 27, 2012

I used regular whole wheat flour and white whole wheat flour. Next time I think I’ll use bread flour instead of the white ww flour, but damn are these tasty!

92 Tanza November 28, 2012

LOVED these biscuits. I made them without the Diaya (put too much Diaya on a pizza once and haven’t eaten it since), but they were incredible. Even my omnivore family loved them. And when they’re baking the smell so good! I cannot stop raving about them!

93 sam November 29, 2012

hi we don’t seem to have any decent vegan cheeses here in the UK do you think I could sub the dairya cheese and use cashew cheese instead?

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 30, 2012

Hi Sam, It would probably change texture since it’s liquid-y so I really dont know how it would turn out. Let me know if you try it!

95 sam November 30, 2012

ok I will give it a go at one point at let you know how it turns out, thanks. Ps the recipe looks great and I made some today for the family and they loved them. :)

96 Suzanne P December 1, 2012

I made these with Bob’s GF AP flour and organic spelt flour and they were very yummy :) They may have not risen quite as much but were still delightfully crispy!

97 Lindsey MM December 11, 2012

I decided to make these with whatever I had on hand, so I substituted whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour, coconut sugar for the cane sugar, and unsweetened coconut milk for the almond milk and I really liked them!! Very easy great recipe :)

98 Kristen December 13, 2012

Do you think these would work with oat flour? Or a combo of oat and buckwheat flour? I sure hope so. I would love to make these to accompany the walnut lentil loaf for Xmas.

99 Tyra January 3, 2013

Thank you beautiful! I’m glad to have found your site at the start of my year. Cooking 6 days a week leaves me always wanting new ideas and your site perfectly fits the bill. Tonight we are having the herb biscuits with the sweet potato black bean soup. May you continue to prosper in 2013.

100 Mary H. January 25, 2013

Just made these and they are wonderful!! I used refined coconut oil, so they didn’t taste like coconut at all- is that what you used, too? I also cheated and did the flour/coconut oil mixing in the food processor. Thanks for the great recipe!

101 Lynn February 21, 2013

I made these for my friends today and was going to bring it to their house, however my parents were curious and they are new to the whole vegan idea (complete carnivores). They wanted to try a bite after their meal but couldn’t stop! XD I should have doubled the recipe if I knew they were going to devour the whole thing. These were delicious by the way (: Thank you Angela!

102 Julie H. May 8, 2013

I just made these and they were so delicious!

103 Sarah October 15, 2013

Angela – just made these gems for the hundreth time. This time to go with a lovely fall soup. As always, they were delicious! Thanks for providing so many healthy staples in my recipe repertoire!!

104 Lexi November 29, 2013

Just curious — What is that tool you used to cut the frozen coconut oil into the flour?

105 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 30, 2013

Hi Lexi, I think it’s called a pastry cutter?

106 Lexi November 30, 2013

Ok I’ll have to look for that. Thanks! These look amaaazing by the way. Can’t wait to make them! :)

107 Susan December 8, 2013

These are so amazing. So much so, I had a dream about them. I wish I were kidding. What a great, easy biscuit recipe. And the daiya cheese was such a treat! Everyone at our table loved them and fought over the leftovers. Thank you!!

108 LJW January 29, 2014

This is a big deal. I have to tell you about it.

My boyfriend holds disdain for 85% of the food I cook. He’s one of those weirdos who think that if it doesn’t include butter and/or bacon fat, then you’re doing it wrong. Tonight, after two years of hearing him say, “well, it could have been better if…” he said he was really impressed with these biscuits. HE ATE FOUR OF THEM!!!!!! This is huge. This is red-letter. He said he didn’t miss the butter.

I love you for bringing these biscuits into our lives. I will be baking them for breakfast, lunch and dinner, every day, from now on.

Side note: I used 1.5 C AP bleached flour, and .5 C bread baking flour. Also dried herbs.

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2014

I’m so happy to hear this! Thanks for your feedback :)

110 Kathleen Campbell March 31, 2014

These turned out amazing!! I’m loving the fact that I can substitute frozen coconut oil for butter in scones now thanks to your brilliant idea! I loved making scones in the past but always felt guilty eating them when I saw how much butter had to be cut up into them. The coconut oil worked perfectly and they tasted delicious!

111 Alison December 7, 2014

Hi
This recipe looks amazing! I was wondering if you’ve tried it as a gluten free recipe and if so, what ingredients did you use and how did it turn out?
Many thanks :)
Alison

112 Annie Johnson January 11, 2015

I just made these biscuits with a white rice based GF flour blend and they turned out well. My family enjoyed them. Love your site! Thank you!

113 Eszter D August 8, 2015

Thank you for the recipe! It is great to heave a healthier fat in it. The coconut oil I have is virgin, unrefined with a smoke point of 350F. So I will try this recipe using the refined variety that is lower in nutrients, but wont get damaged at 425F since it’s smoke point is 450F. Thanks again, love your recipes and your book.

114 Krista November 24, 2015

I’ve just tried out this recipe in a gluten free version by subbing all the flour for Bobs Red Mill GF all purpose flour. I also added about a tsp of xanthan gum because I’ve been on the failing side of gf baking before. Needless to say, these came out incredibly soft on the inside, crisp on the outside with bits of melty “cheese.” Perfection! My only complaint is that I don’t think they’ll make it to my Thanksgiving table, especially since I’m home alone right now. Thanks Angela for yet another great recipe!

115 jogu December 11, 2015

hi, These biscuits soumd so tasty!
i was wondering what the Han tool you used to stir the Ingredients together is called.thank you

116 Frances December 25, 2015

I made these last night to go with the warm winter salad. Delicious and easy! Everyone was raving!

117 Heather February 9, 2016

These were perfect! I needed something quick to go with your 15 minute alfredo recipe and these were the best. Thanks so much. My family loves your recipes.

118 Maria April 3, 2016

Note: I made this with these changes and came out GREAT!!!
Instead of white and whole wheat flour =2 cups of all purpose flour (gluten free, #209, from Bulk Barn, the one that does not have Xantam gum)
Instead of cane sugar, coconut sugar
Rosemary and thyme dry instead of fresh
Home made rice milk instead of almond milk
Instead of vegan cheese nutritional yeast
I added one tablespoon of chia seeds to the rice milk and mix well before putting it in the freezer
Everything else the same
Thanks for the great recipe, I finally had biscuits after years of hoping for a vegan gluten free recipe

119 Angela Liddon April 4, 2016

Thanks so much for sharing the info, Maria! I’m glad you liked the recipe!!

120 Traci November 3, 2016

Any suggestions on how you would alter this for baking at altitude? 9,500 feet

I am a lone vegan in a family full of meat eaters, so I would like to make a few of my own dishes for thanksgiving to contribute. Finding great ideas on your blog :)