Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

twix recipe vegan 7480 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

muhahauha

I don’t know why, but that just felt appropriate to open with being 6 days from Halloween and all.

Evil cackles are the perfect compliment to many situations, don’t you think?

Such as:

- When you’re bored at work and want to make coworkers think you’re up to something (aren’t you always??) See Dwight Kurt Schrute III.

- Ditto above, but for your significant other/family members.

- Obviously, evil scheming is one of them, which I did lots of as a teenager with my sister Kristi and girlfriends. (Don’t worry sis, your secrets are safe with me…..unless I ever write a novel. mhauhauha!)

- When you hide behind a wall and then jump out to scare your pet or husband (not that I do this or anything…)

- When you send your spouse to work with salty cookies…on April Fools Day

- When kids ring your doorbell on Halloween

- When you make a killer dessert recipe

When to avoid witch cackles: going through airport security or customs, when the officiate asks if anyone objects to the marriage, in church, after serving food to your guests at a dinner party (Halloween excepted), near any newborn, during a GRE, at a job interview.

Use at your own risk.

Last week, a couple of you asked me if I could revamp my Vegan Twix bar recipe. I like the way you think because I was already planning on doing so! The original recipe was very tasty and decadent, but the shortbread crust was fairly crumbly and contained a ton of vegan butter. It also required baking the crust and making caramel from scratch.

For this version, I made the recipe lower in fat, gluten-free, faster, and improved the crust. After the Homemade Rolos were such a hit with many of you, I knew I wanted to use date caramel again. The crust ended up driving me a bit crazy though. I used oat flour, agave, and just a touch of coconut oil. While it held together perfectly it was way too dense and the flavour was too earthy for a Twix recipe.

vegan peanut butter twix crispies 7452 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

I also knew I didn’t want to make a soft, fluffy crust. To me, a Twix bar has to have a crisp crust! Then Eric suggested I use rice crispies for the crust. Genius. It’s easy, fast, and just a few ingredients. Most of all, you don’t bake the crust which saves a lot of time. The crispy texture turned out to be the perfect compliment to the gooey date caramel and hardened chocolate coating. I don’t think I need to explain any further…

vegan peanut butter twix crispies 7436 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars vegan peanut butter twix crispies 7441 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars vegan peanut butter twix crispies 7447 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Barsvegan peanut butter twix crispies 7445 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

You can thank Eric for this one. (He says he will accept boxes of Homemade Twix bars.) ;)

vegan peanut butter twix crispies 7470 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

Email, print, or text this recipe

Yield: ~16-18 bars

for the crust:

• 1 & 1/4 cup GF crispy rice cereal (I use Nature’s Path)
  • 1/4 cup brown rice syrup*
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter*
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt

for the date caramel: (adapted from Homemade Rolos)

• 200-210 grams pitted soft Medjool dates (about 1 & 1/4 cup pitted dates)
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter*
  • 1 tbsp almond milk, or more if needed
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt

for the chocolate coating:

• 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp coconut oil (optional)

1. Line an 8-inch pan with two pieces of parchment paper. In a small pot, add the brown rice syrup, peanut butter, and vanilla. Increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until combined. Add pinch of salt. Pour into a large bowl with rice crisp and stir well.

2. Scoop the rice crisp mixture into pan. Wet hands slightly and then spread the mixture evenly and press down firmly until smooth. Place in freezer while you make the date caramel.

3. Soak dates in water until soft (only if necessary) and drain. Place pitted dates, peanut butter, milk, and salt in the food processor and process until almost smooth and a big ball forms.

4. Spread caramel layer over top of the crust until it’s as smooth and even as you can get it. Place back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to set.

5. Melt the chocolate and optional coconut oil in a small pot over low heat. When 2/3 of the chips are melted, remove from heat and stir until smooth. Spread chocolate on top of the caramel and place in the freezer for about 3 minutes only.

6. Remove from freezer (chocolate should be slightly firm, but not completely set) and slice into rows and then in half. Freeze again until set for about 10 minutes. Store in fridge or freezer.

Substitution Notes: 1) The brown rice syrup can probably be subbed for honey (if you include honey in your diet). Agave won’t hold together as well since it’s not as “tacky”, but it will hold together when kept in the freezer. It will fall apart at room temperature though. 2) You can sub peanut butter for sunflower seed butter as a nut-free option.

vegan peanut butter twix crispies 7464 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

I wrapped up two at a time in orange candy wrappers (from Bulk Barn) and secured them with kitchen twine. Not spooky, but so darn cute and festive.

char eats greens October 26, 2012

I hope these homemade chocolate bars keep continuing. I think I’ll start with the rolos, but have twix as my second! I seriously love that you’re veganizing these, especially with Halloween coming and me thinking about how I used to raid my sister’s pillowcase and take all her: caramilk, reese pb cup, etc!!

Amy October 26, 2012

You can also substitute coconut nectar for a healthier replacement for brown rice syrup. It is tacky like brown rice syrup. These were DELICIOUS!! :-)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy October 26, 2012

oh my gosh this is pure genius!!

Shira October 26, 2012

There aren’t many chocolate confections (homemade) that get me salivating..and I must be hungry..these look amazing! I think I’ve got everything on hand too – a perfect Friday night activity with the chocolate loving kids in the house :) Nice work Angela!

Ashley October 26, 2012

Hey! Congratulations on your win of favorite blog in VegNews!! So happy for you and love your blog!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012

Thanks Ashley, that means a lot to me!! :)

{Moni} @ Moni Meals October 26, 2012

These would make ANYONE happy! Great recipe Ang!

Amelia October 26, 2012

Hey Angela! I haven’t scrolled through EVERY comment, but I read all of the ones on the first page to see if anyone has asked yet. Do you know what the shelf life would be on these bars? I mean, for home at least. I’m just wondering how long the crispy bottom remains crisp, considering the moisture content of the filling and whether or not they are frozen or stored in the fridge. Have they lasted long enough in your house (ahem…Eric) to test this out? I always find that when I put anything with crispy rice in the fridge or freezer it goes stale after a day. Thanks! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012

Hey Amelia!

I had my bars in the freezer for a day and then in the fridge for a few days and they were fine when thawed at room temp. I can’t really comment to their shelf life more than that since I gave the bars to my niece and nephew today, but they were fine for at least a few days and I would expect more! If you are concerned about them becoming dry, I would store in the fridge since it’s a bit more gentle than the freezer. Enjoy!

Jennifer N. October 26, 2012

Made these yesterday. Yum (from the whole family and the Girl Scouts). Planning on making them again soon. Realized that they really reminded me of one of my favorite childhood candy bars, the Whatchamacallit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whatchamacallit_%28candy%29), even more than Twix. This makes me very happy. Thank you.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012

ah interesting!! I don’t think I’ve ever had one of those before. Glad you enjoyed them :)

hannah October 30, 2012

I completely agree! I had been trying to put my finger on what they reminded me of. And once again, thank you, Angela!

Katie October 26, 2012

Just made these… very good! The bottom layer is a bit flimsy though… I don’t know if it’s supposed to be or if it was something I did? I think I would also use bittersweet chocolate for the top layer rather than chocochips next time! Everyone loved it but it was a bit too sweet for me!

Thanks for another great recipe!!

Elisa October 27, 2012

Those look amazing! Twix were definitely one of my favourite chocolate bars. But you have made a version where you can actually pronounce all the ingredients!

Love all your recipes :).

Erica October 27, 2012

I love the date caramel idea!

Meaghan M October 27, 2012

Made these yesterday and fell in LOVE with them!! I have a box of mini chocolate bars waiting for Halloween that I am not even the slightest bit interested in now that I have these! I even brought them in to work and everyone could not get over the fact that the ‘caramel’ was dates!! The only downside was that my coworkers ate them ALL – looks like I will have to make another batch…or two…or three :)

Thank you for all of your wonderful recipes!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012

hahah darn those coworkers!!! ;) So glad you all enjoyed them. We just gave ours to my niece and nephew so I may have to make another batch for Halloween! ;)

Sandy October 27, 2012

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your website, recipes and your verve for life that comes through in your posts! I have a new baby with a milk allergy, and thus am venturing into the dairy-free world for the first time… your yummy recipes, beautiful pictures and cute commentary make this major food adjustment so much easier!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012

Hi Sandy, Thank you for your lovely note! It’s a pleasure to have you reading the blog. I hope you enjoy many recipes to come! All the best to you and your new baby.

Suz @ avocadoandbasil October 27, 2012

I can’t wait to try these, I love twix, and these actually look better!!

Monita October 27, 2012

Amazing! Going to make these for a potluck!

charlotte October 27, 2012

I just made these and they are damn good. Thanks for the recipe.

Full Flavored Life October 27, 2012

Twix are my favorite. I’m definitely making these this week as a halloween treat!

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen October 27, 2012

These look fabulous, but I really can’t wait to try that date caramel!!!! We are in the middle of a hurricane at the moment so I can’t go to the store, and I’m so upset I forgot to ask my MIL to get dates when she went to the store this morning so I could make the rolo knockoffs!!!! *Ugh* PS. The hurricane is a category 1 and is nothing more than a bad rainstorm so no need to worry :)

Josiah October 28, 2012

I made these tonight. Such a quick and EASY recipe and everyone loved them! :) I substituted honey for brown rice syrup and it worked out perfectly, I also used crunch peanut butter (all I had available) and it did not effect the consistency. I will definitely make it again.

Megan @ MegGoesNomNom October 28, 2012

Oh my – that layer of caramel in there looks amazing! Love your method for the crispy layer. I’ve gotta try these!

Viljena October 28, 2012

Just made these last night and they are amazing! Even my BF said they are incredible!! First batch is almost gone, so I have to head to the store for some more dates. I used Arrowhead Mills puffed rice cereal and sun butter. Date caramel took a little bit of time in my Vitamix, but was well worth it. This will be our go to snack going forward and no more of those vending machine candy bars at work! Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012

Awesome, enjoy!

Viljena November 3, 2012

I doubled the recipe and made it in a 9 by 13 pan, worked great!

Cherie October 28, 2012

This makes me wish I lived next door.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 28, 2012

Seriously, of all the candy bar recreations I see across the blog world, the one I have always wanted to see is Twix! (And KitKats, if I’m honest). Super excited about this!

Michele October 28, 2012

These are freakin’ amazing!

Goddesswifemom October 28, 2012

LONG time follower first time commenter but these are AMAZING. OH MY GOD I LOVE how the center stays gooey and the chocolate is just the right amount to make you feel like you are indulging without actually going over board. PERFECTION!

I did use honey instead of brown rice syrup, because we didn’t have any though I did find it today at the supertsore, still turned out like caramel. :)

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings October 28, 2012

I love twix bars, and your version looks so yum! I especially love how you wrapped them, so cute :)

J October 28, 2012

Angela, you have totally outdone yourself! I just made a batch of these for a party tomorrow and I can’t wait to see the reactions on my friends’ faces! This is the kind of thing that seems so intimidating, but the steps reveal how simple it really is! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I almos feel like an imposter showing up to a party with such an impressive looking treat!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012

haha you crack me up! So happy you enjoy the bars! I hope it goes over well with the friends. :)

Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama October 28, 2012

Oh my gosh! These look so fantastic! I have to make them soon.

Britt Adams October 28, 2012

I just have to tell you how much I love your blog! I’ve been following for over a year now, and every recipe turns out perfect. These were amazing by the way, thank you for all that you do! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012

Thank you so much Britt! I appreciate that so much. Thanks for reading!

Drisana (SoulShineBlog) October 29, 2012

These look like a delicious treat and oh so cute wrapped up!

Beth October 29, 2012

I made these Saturday night and my husband is crazy about them! Thanks for the recipe!

Natalie October 29, 2012

Awesome recipe, these are making my mouth water! Gorgeous site

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 29, 2012

Date caramel?! Oh my goodness! I owe it to my husband to make these. He’s gone vegan with me… he’s a good sport. :)

em @ simplypresent October 29, 2012

Wow, I haven’t had a Twix bar in so long (they were my favorite), but these look so much tastier! Thanks :)

Ana October 30, 2012

Hi Angela,

I am so glad I found you!!!!! Your website is amazing, your personal story very inspiring and I can relate in so many ways! Thanks for being so generous sharing all these wonderful healthy recipes. I’ve just made these bars and they are out of this world – I am glad I found this just in time for my son’s 2nd birthday – it will be a great hit among kids and parents! Thanks again!

Michele October 30, 2012

The flavor is amazing! These are fantastic if eaten immediately, but found they don’t store well in the fridge. The rice crispies get soggy. Maybe store in freezer?

Deb MacLeod October 31, 2012

Greetings from Morningside, Alberta
This Twix recipe got me so motivated that I quadrupled it and killed my ancient food processor. Despite that setback, the end result was a 9 x 13 pan of crunchy caramel chocolate deliciousness…perfect with a fresh cup of coffee. Another stellar creation on your part:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 31, 2012

Oh no! I hope it recovers with some rest!

Freya E October 31, 2012

Oops. Forgot to check if the dates had been stoned. They weren’t! The date/peanut butter mixture tasted wonderful but I had to ditch it due to the “dropped on a gravel road” texture that the partially ground stones gave it…..trying again tonight!!

alexandra October 31, 2012

I made these. They are VERY sugary tasting.

Sheena November 1, 2012

Made these last night and they were delish!
The only thing I ran into is that the rice crispy base didn’t come out ‘crispy’…was pretty chewy and almost soggy? Anyone else run into this, perhaps I am missing something?!

Page 2 of 4«1234»