Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

roasted brussels sprouts and fingerling potatoes with rosemary 6793 3   Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

I absolutely adore brussels sprouts, but this wasn’t always the case. Growing up, I despised them as most children do. In my early twenties, I gave them another shot and they slowly grew on me over the course of many holiday dinners. I’d place a few on the edge of my plate “just to try” and eventually they grew on me. They’re now one of the first vegetables I make a beeline for at holiday dinners. This past weekend was no different!

My absolute favourite way to enjoy them is roasted. I have no idea why there isn’t a recipe on the blog, but I decided this had to be remedied immediately. This recipe today features my favourite potatoes of all time (fingerlings), a generous amount of fresh rosemary and garlic, and of course, hearty brussels sprouts. Tossed with a touch of extra virgin olive oil and roasted for about 38 minutes, it was just about too good to share. It’s the ultimate comfort food on a chilly fall day.

20121004 163456   Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

A little roasting goes a long way, especially when it comes to brussels sprouts. They get slightly charred and caramelized in the oven and have a dense “meaty” texture that you wouldn’t expect from a green vegetable. If you’ve ever crossed this vegetable off your “want to eat more of” list I encourage you to give this recipe a shot; you might be surprised at how quickly they disappear. I knew this dish was a keeper when Eric – who is not a big fan of brussels – gobbled them up quickly.

roasted brussels sprouts and fingerling potatoes with rosemary 6793 2   Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: Serves 4-5 as a side

Ingredients:

• (0.80kg/1.75lb) fingerling potatoes
  • (0.34kg/0.75lb) brussels sprouts
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tbsp fresh minced rosemary
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tbsp Sucanat (optional)
  • 3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Rinse and scrub potatoes. Pat dry. Slice in half lengthwise and place into large mixing bowl.

3. Cut off stem of brussels sprouts and remove loose outer leaves. Rinse and pat dry. Place in bowl.

4. Add the minced garlic, minced rosemary, oil, optional Sucanat, salt, pepper, and optional red pepper flakes into the bowl along with the potatoes and sprouts. Toss with your hands to combine and place on baking sheet.

5. Roast for 35-38 minutes at 400F, stirring once half way through baking. Potatoes will be golden and brussels will be lightly charred when ready. Season with Herbamare (or salt) and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

~~~~

Are you a brussels sprouts fan? What’s your favourite way to enjoy them?

Stefanie October 17, 2012

I made this the other night and it was SO good my husband asked me to make it again this week (and he is not a big Brussels Sprouts fan).
We did not even need a sauce since the Brussels Sprouts were slightly caramelized…hmmm, just thinking of it makes me drool…

Roasting veggies is such a great way to serve a quick yet delicious dinner on week nights. I like to roast Hokkaido and carrots together – always turns out really good!

Kim October 20, 2012

Love the sprouts! Hated them as a kid because I always had them boiled. Now I carmelize them in a pan with garlic and pine nuts! Do delicious that I’ve converted many a hater! Next I’ll try roasting with the potatoes since I usually fix potatoes, onions and garlic with my rosemary.

Jennifer October 21, 2012

Just tried these today. YUMMO!

Lisa October 29, 2012

I love Brussels, but just not roasted. Oddly, the charred part turns me off, but only on brussels. Every other veggie, I love roasted. The way I make sprouts is slice them in half and saute/steam them in a bit of olive oil and earth balance on the stove top. Saute/steam means saute to get a bit of color on them and then cover them so they steam and cook through. Delish!

Nina October 30, 2012

I made this for my daughter tonight. She loved it! She was VERY skeptical about the Brussels Sprouts. She liked all other ingredients though and I said she didn’t have to eat it if she didn’t like it. I just wish I had put more sprout leaves in because they really shrunk down (very nicely) and I think she would have eaten more without complaint. :) She squeezed lemon juice over it. It was a huge hit. Thanks so much for a lovely vegan meal without grains.

jess November 3, 2012

man…i am totally stoked by all your recipes…..unlike many vegan recipes i try ,all of your recipes that i have tried(not too many,new to your website) are awesome!!!Awesome in taste,ease,cost and i can change them all up just a bit and i have a blast with it.I want to share what i make with the world!!Thank you soo much.You have inspired me to experiment in my kitchen and live in my desire to make great vegan food…….Thanks again

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2012

Thank you so much Jess! All the best to you. :)

Amanda November 12, 2012

I made these last night after not eating Brussels Sprouts in over 3 years and I just ate two bowls full! I put a little Franks Red Hot on the side for dipping and it was great! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2012

mmm i love the idea of hot sauce on those bad boys!

Megan December 1, 2012

Using your recipe, I just tried brussel sprouts for the FIRST TIME. SO amazing!! Thank you for sharing. It was absolutely delicious and I plan to make a lot more brussel sprouts now!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2012

whohoo!!

Suzanne December 16, 2012

Is this something that you could prepare the night before and then roast the next day…or would the rosemary be too strong?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2012

I can’t see why it wouldn’t work! Let me know if you try it out.

Priscilla February 17, 2013

Can you tell me how many cups of brussel sprouts and potatoes are used? I don’t have a scale, so I’m not sure of the measurements. Thanks!!

Christina Gray April 27, 2013

I bought a bag of brussel sprouts to try, and they were SO GROSS. They’ve been sitting in my freezer for months since that first taste test. This recipe looked delicious, so I gave them another try, and I’m glad I did. This is SO GOOD. If it weren’t for your blog, I would have probably starved by now.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 28, 2013

yay! So glad to hear that :)

Ren5ae May 22, 2013

Absolutely love the use of rosemary and garlic together here! I recently bought a bunch of fresh rosemary for the first time, determined to cook something with it but having no idea what.. And then of course I came across your blog, and now my ideas are endless!
You’re incredibly talented.

On a side note, I also happened upon some strange looking green stalks (turned out to be stalks of lemon grass) and of course in my new “you’re going to learn to cook no matter what” mindset, i grabbed one and put it in my trolley as if that was what I had intended to do all along. Now I’ve got this thing here, and no clue what to do with it.. Any chance you’ve experimented much with lemon grass?

x

Mandy B. September 25, 2013

This looks so good! Just curious, should I put some whole sprigs of rosemary on the pan while roasting like in the picture? Or was that just mean to look pretty? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2013

I think I did it just for the photo, so no it’s not necessary! :)

tigerarchivist October 19, 2013

I just pulled this out of the oven. We love how the house smells of fresh rosemary and garlic! I love brussels sprouts any which way, but roasting them brings out the sweetness. I didn’t use the sugar suggested in the recipe, and don’t think it needs it. Wonderful recipe!

Natalie {Use Your Words, Little Girl} November 21, 2013

Do you have any tips for keeping a dish like this warm if you have to cook in advance? I want to bring this to my work’s Thanksgiving potluck meal, but don’t know how to keep it warm (I can run home to grab it before we eat) without it losing the roasted goodness.

Lisa December 7, 2013

beautiful recipe – I love rustic veggie dishes like this! Pinned to my “exceptional vegetable” board.

Christina April 13, 2014

These were simple and great! Thanks so much for introducing us to brussels sprouts!

Page 3 of 3«123