Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

roasted brussels sprouts and fingerling potatoes with rosemary 6793 3   Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

I absolutely adore brussels sprouts, but this wasn’t always the case. Growing up, I despised them as most children do. In my early twenties, I gave them another shot and they slowly grew on me over the course of many holiday dinners. I’d place a few on the edge of my plate “just to try” and eventually they grew on me. They’re now one of the first vegetables I make a beeline for at holiday dinners. This past weekend was no different!

My absolute favourite way to enjoy them is roasted. I have no idea why there isn’t a recipe on the blog, but I decided this had to be remedied immediately. This recipe today features my favourite potatoes of all time (fingerlings), a generous amount of fresh rosemary and garlic, and of course, hearty brussels sprouts. Tossed with a touch of extra virgin olive oil and roasted for about 38 minutes, it was just about too good to share. It’s the ultimate comfort food on a chilly fall day.

20121004 163456   Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

A little roasting goes a long way, especially when it comes to brussels sprouts. They get slightly charred and caramelized in the oven and have a dense “meaty” texture that you wouldn’t expect from a green vegetable. If you’ve ever crossed this vegetable off your “want to eat more of” list I encourage you to give this recipe a shot; you might be surprised at how quickly they disappear. I knew this dish was a keeper when Eric – who is not a big fan of brussels – gobbled them up quickly.

roasted brussels sprouts and fingerling potatoes with rosemary 6793 2   Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: Serves 4-5 as a side

Ingredients:

• (0.80kg/1.75lb) fingerling potatoes
  • (0.34kg/0.75lb) brussels sprouts
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tbsp fresh minced rosemary
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tbsp Sucanat (optional)
  • 3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Rinse and scrub potatoes. Pat dry. Slice in half lengthwise and place into large mixing bowl.

3. Cut off stem of brussels sprouts and remove loose outer leaves. Rinse and pat dry. Place in bowl.

4. Add the minced garlic, minced rosemary, oil, optional Sucanat, salt, pepper, and optional red pepper flakes into the bowl along with the potatoes and sprouts. Toss with your hands to combine and place on baking sheet.

5. Roast for 35-38 minutes at 400F, stirring once half way through baking. Potatoes will be golden and brussels will be lightly charred when ready. Season with Herbamare (or salt) and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

~~~~

Are you a brussels sprouts fan? What’s your favourite way to enjoy them?

Jean October 9, 2012

Hi Angela!
Just wanna ask, can i also roast frozen brussels sprouts? We do not have fresh ones here. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2012

I cant see why not!

Catherine October 9, 2012

I’ve roasted frozen sprouts before. Make sure to squeeze the water out really well after defrosting. From my personal experience, they don’t roast quite as well as fresh (can be a little mushy on the inside and the outer layer doesn’t get as crisp), but they’re still really tasty!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2012

Thanks for the tip Catherine!

Ellani October 9, 2012

I love brussel sprouts roasted and caramalized with BALSAMIC vinegar. Yum. I can’t wait until they are in season here.
I hated brussel sprouts as a kid. Proabaly because: 1) they were inevitably frozen and then cooked (mushy and disgusting). 2) I think they were boiled as well. Really untasty.

Sonal October 9, 2012

This looks like such a delicious way to enjoy brussel sprouts! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 9, 2012

Great idea, adding brussels sprouts to potatoes!! I love all the flavor combination in this dish!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 9, 2012

I would always eat Brussels sprouts if they were served to me, but I never really LOVED them until I started roasting them. It takes them to a whole new level!

Cassandra @ TheScienceofFood October 9, 2012

I’m also a new fan of brussel sprouts. The most favorite recipe that I’ve tried for brussel sprouts is with pomegranate and pecans.

R.A. October 9, 2012

I think I wil try this, minus the brussel sprouts. I told my doctor that even if they were the fountain of youth I would have trouble eating them and since I eat just about every other vegetable on the planet including a few that I don’t even know their names but just buy them from the Asian vendor at the local farmer’s market, I think I am okay taking a pass on this one vegetable. That leaves more for the rest of you to enjoy!

Kathryn October 9, 2012

I used to loathe them too! They’ve grown on me a whole lot in the past years. I still don’t care for them whole, I actually like to chop them up into shreds and sautee them with garlic. They cook super fast and are so tasty! My dad said he’s rosting them whole on the stock tonight, intersted to see what that is like!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com October 9, 2012

I used to despise brussels sprout too! But I enjoy it now even more, especially roasted!

Simone October 9, 2012

I love brussels! I made some this weekend on the bbq they were awesome, I pre boiled them, tossed them in grainy mustard with some evoo salt and pepper and then grilled them up till they were all crispy, so yummy!
thanks for your recipe, i’ll definitely be whipping those up, nothing beats roasted veggies!

Vanessa October 9, 2012

Brussels Sprouts are the best! Happy Thanksgiving, by the way. =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2012

Thanks Vanessa!

Lacey October 9, 2012

I’m a HUGE brussel sprout fan and you just reminded me that not only is it pumpkin season – it’s brussel sprout time!!!! One of my favorite ways to prepare them is pan frying them on the stove top until they begin to caremlize. Then deglaze the pan with a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. The last step is to stir in a couple tablespoons of agave (or any sweetener). This makes a delicious “sweet & sour” brussel sprout side dish.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2012

that sounds incredible…mouth is watering! over brussels who knew?

Shira October 9, 2012

This is by far, the very best way to eat cooked brussels sprouts! And of course rosemary is not at all optional in any way :) I am so into raw brussels sprout salads right now….my new favorite way to eat them! Gorgeous photos Angela!

Michelle October 9, 2012

I love roasted brussels. They’re delish!

Catherine October 9, 2012

I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now, but I’ve never commented. Anyway, brussels sprouts are probably my FAVORITE vegetable. Never touched them till age 27 (I’m 28!), but to me and my husband, they are addicting. My favorite way to cook them is by simply roasting them in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Sometimes I’ll add lemon juice or red pepper flakes, but, honestly, I think the natural flavors are just too good on their own. This combination with the fingerling potatoes, garlic, and rosemary sounds delicious, though. Must attempt it soon!

By the way, your spicy bbq chickpea burgers are amazing. It’s the first veggie burger I’ve made (and eaten, truthfully), and as an omnivore, I actually prefer these over meat. Even my husband said as much. :-) Hope you don’t mind that I linked to your recipe on my own very amateur-ish blog. Can’t wait to try some other recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2012

Hey Catherine, Thanks for your comment! So happy to hear you enjoyed the chickpea burgers :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama October 9, 2012

Although I love all veggies, there is nothing better than roasted veggies!

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans October 9, 2012

This looks like such a great fall dish! I love brussel sprouts (probably an unnatural amount for a college student)! I especially love them roasted! So good.

Jamee October 9, 2012

I LOVE roasted vegetables, especially brussels sprouts. I’ll definitely be making this recipe soon. Funny story–One Christmas I made a brussels sprouts dish with almonds and balsamic for a potluck with friends. As soon as I removed the lid off the sprouts at the table, one of my friends asked (genuinely), “Who farted?” Some things just taste way better than they smell!

Your photo of the bench and yellow tree on a perfect fall day is so lovely. Fall is ridiculously photogenic, isn’t it?

Trena Marthaller October 9, 2012

I have the same story with the Brussel Sprouts. But I love them now! And I am trying this recipe tonight with farm fresh finglerling potatoes! Ill post the pictures on my blog tomorrow…thanks for the great recipes and your inspiring story.

Leesasee October 9, 2012

It seems I am of the vast majority of previous brussel sprout hater-turned lover thanks to finding this wonderful cooking method. However that is not the reason for my comment. I have to ask, where is the tree picture taken? It looks EXACTLY like my run route along Lake Ontario in St.Catharines/Port Dalhousie

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 10, 2012

It’s along Lakeshore in Oakville :) Sounds like you have a nice running route too!

Angela October 9, 2012

My favorite way is exactly like yours but I also add couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. YUM!!

Lia October 9, 2012

I’m definitely a Brussels Sprouts lover and wooer! My roomy just bought a bunch and I secretly hope she’ll share them with me until I buy myself some :D

I like them simply roasted like this, but with roasted chestnuts on the side rather than potatoes. This post did get me on a potato craving, which is VERY rare (not a potato person). Picked some up, gonna make a vegan potato gratin. Thanks for the random inspiration!

Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset October 9, 2012

Brussels sprouts are probably my favourite vegetable! Ok, maybe a tie between that and broccoli ;) Steamed, roasted, stir-fried- I love them any way!!

Prime Health October 9, 2012

Superlicious!!!

Lauren @ Gourmet Veggie Mama October 9, 2012

This looks amazing. Love the combination of veggies!

Brittany October 9, 2012

YUMMMMM!!! We eat a LOT of roasted vegetables when the weather starts turning to fall (which we still have not gotten in Portland…sigh…). Like you, I love to do a potato and brussels sprout blend, but sometimes we’ll put in some sausage bits or soyrizo for some spiciness and protein. I’ve been eating sweet potatoes, onions, broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms all roasted together for several days in a row now, often for breakfast! Although thyme is my favorite herb to add, rosemary is a close second. Thanks so much for posting this! Definitely am a fan of roasted veggies! (Although I think yours are prettier than mine. ;-)

Sarah October 10, 2012

This recipe sounds amazing!!!! I’ve never thought about potato/brussel sprout combo but it’s a really good idea. The garlic would totally bring out both pieces and help them combine into a great dish. Going to make this and also tagging it because I want this on my table to share with the family at Thanksgiving! Thank you :)

Michelle@HappyHeart October 10, 2012

So simple and incredibly delicious! I know what’s on the menu for tonight! Can’t get enough of Brussels at the moment!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 10, 2012

Oh yum – this looks like something I would make… or have made. Either way, I love it!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com October 10, 2012

What’s for dinner tonight? THIS! Looks perfect-I LOVE roasted vegetables, especially brussel sprouts!

zz October 10, 2012

try brussel sprouts, capers, garlic, and olive oil. some salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste. I pan roast them – until the brussel sprouts are caramelized and the capers are crispy… our favorite recipe – no leftovers ever

Shelley October 11, 2012

I’ve only tried brussel sprouts once before – I come from a family that hate brussel sprouts – but I adore fingerling potatoes. I tried your recipe and wow! My husband and I both loved it!! Thanks for posting! :)

Monique Reavis October 11, 2012

I’m trying this right now! I swapped the rosemary for cilantro and the fingerling for red potatoes, only because I had them available in the kitchen. The kitchen smells wonderful!

suzanne October 12, 2012

So funny – I just made roasted red potatoes and brussel sprouts! I do not think I ever even had a brussel sprout until last year – for some reason I decided to try them and WOW – definitely one of my favorites now too! I will have to try your recipe – it looks great. I just tossed in a little olive oil and sprinkled salt, pepper and a little chili powder on. Now if only my kids would eat them (they eat the token one bite!)

Brittany October 12, 2012

I am a newly converted vegan and so I’ve started experimenting with vegetables. This is seriously my first time eating Brussels sprouts and I LOVE THEM cooked this way!

Susan October 12, 2012

As a kid I HATED Brussels sprouts but now that my tastes have changed and I now eat all sorts of things I have been wanting to try them. This recipe was great. I finished the sprouts off with a splash of balsamic which was delicious.

Sara October 15, 2012

I made this recipe this past Friday night, but I added the apple sage Field Roast sausage you mentioned in your ’10 Food I’m Loving Lately’ post and it was delicious! It was definitely a comfort food kind of night and that hit the spot. My night was filled with home done mani/pedi, this recipe as dinner, and dessert was blood orange sorbet. SO YUMMY! I’ve been reading your blog for almost a year now and have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 5 years. I’m finally starting to feel I’m ready for my last transition to being a vegan! It feels like the right time and I’m feeling less dependent on dairy. I had a baaaaaaad addiction to cheese and milk. Wish me luck and I really hope this is it for me!

Shaunna B. October 15, 2012

Made these last night for dinner, along with some northern beans drizzled with olive oil and salt and pepper, with some crusty bread. Delish! Thanks for the recipe!

Kristen October 15, 2012

I made these tonight……SO good. Huge hit with the whole family – kids included. Will totally make them again!

Shiree October 16, 2012

I’ve been following your blog for a while – it is fun to read and every once in a while I find the time to try some of the recipes.
I don’t really remember ever eating brussel sprouts but tonight I tried this recipe. Delicious! I actually liked the brussel sprouts better than the potatoes (and I love me some potatoes). My husband said they tasted like really fancy garlic fries, but he would eat these over garlic fries :)
Thanks for the recipe!