Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

roasted butternut squash with almond parmesan 65072   Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

It’s good to be home.

Sketchie 6474   Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

Sketchie agrees, after a fun (but tiring) visit with his two furry cat friends. Luckily, grandpa put up with his antics yet again. I won’t go into the multiple accidents he had, but I’ll just tell you that I have an amazing, patient, and kind father-in-law. He deserves many of his favourite baked goods when we visit over Thanksgiving in a couple weeks. And possibly a 6-week spa getaway.

After a few rants and raves once home, Sketchie finally settled into his old digs, but unfortunately didn’t get the memo that we’re still on Pacific time. I have no idea how much coffee I consumed this weekend, but let’s just say my old friend, Bodum, is back to stay!

Back in Ontario, it’s clear that summer has come to an end. Trees are starting to change colour and my robe and slippers have appeared for the first time in months. I was so acclimatized to the amazing heat we had in B.C., I temporarily forgot all about this fall stuff. With bronzed skin for the first time all summer, I came home only to cover it up with sweaters and pants. The summer clothes are in a rejected, useless heap in front of the washing machine.

Since the weather was fitting, I consoled myself with grocery shopping and a healthy dose of fall produce. It’s good to be back in the kitchen, if anything!

roasted butternut squash 6513   Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

This weekend was all about squash…and cookies…and coffee beans. Actually, cookies were the first thing I made, not that that should come as a surprise to anyone. You’d think I’d be aiming for healthier fare after vacation, but I had one thing on my mind: recreating the amazing cookie as big as my head. That recipe will be coming soon, but since it’s Monday and we’re probably trying to eat a bit healthier, I have a vegetable recipe for you today. Don’t worry though, I don’t do boring vegetables.

roasted butternut squash 6431   Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

This recipe is inspired by the roasted butternut squash recipe I made back in 2009. It’s incredibly simple to make using only about 15-20 minutes of prep while the oven does the rest. This time, I made an almond pecan parmesan “cheese” and added Lacinato kale for green power. The result is a comforting fall side dish that will warm you to the bone.

roasted butternut squash with almond parmesan 6493   Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

Email, text, or print this recipe

1 year ago: Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, Coconut Soup
2 years ago: Maple Butternut Squash and Apple Casserole

Yield: 4 servings (as a side)

Ingredients:

• 0.9 kg -1.13 kg (2-2.5 pound) butternut squash
  • 2 lg. cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 1 cup de-stemmed and roughly chopped Lacinato kale

Almond Pecan Parmesan “cheese”:

• 1/4 cup almonds*
  • 1/4 cup pecans
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/8th tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease a casserole dish with oil.

2. Peel the squash. Thinly slice off the bottom and top and then slice through the middle lengthwise to make two halves. Remove seeds & guts with a grapefruit spoon or ice cream scoop. Chop two halves into 1-inch chunks and place into casserole dish.

3. Add minced garlic, parsley, oil, and salt into casserole dish and stir until well combined with the squash. Do not add the kale yet.

4. Cover casserole dish with a lid (or tin foil with a few holes poked) and bake at 400F for about 45 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, process the parmesan ingredients together until chunky (or just chop by hand and mix in a bowl). Make sure to leave lots of nut pieces for texture. I used a mini processor and it worked great with minimal clean up.

6. After about 45 mins (or when squash is just fork tender), remove from the oven and reduce heat to 350F. Stir in the chopped kale and sprinkle the parmesan all over the squash. Bake for another 5-8 minutes, until the nuts are lightly toasted. Watch closely so you don’t burn them. Remove & serve!

Note: If you need a nut-free parmesan, try this version with sesame seeds.

roasted butternut squash with almond parmesan 6512   Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

Status: Warm with a happy belly.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy September 24, 2012

that parmesan sounds divine!

donna September 24, 2012

A great recipe!!! 2 kids who said..we dont like butternut squash tried it and loved it including an italian exchange student i have here with us for a year. He was hesitant to even taste it..but he went back for seconds!!! I made a mac and cheese bites in muffin tins from tofu and the parmesan mix you have.. YUM!!

Emilie September 25, 2012

Quick question: I wonder what you would serve this with (since you mention it’s a side dish)?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2012

Hey Emilie, we actually ended up thawing some veggie burgers – I just crumbled one right in. It would go really well with my lentil walnut loaf too!

Emilie September 25, 2012

Perfect, I made 10 of your veggie burgers last week :) Thanks for the constant inspiration, I couldn’t have switched to a meat-free diet without your delicious recipes and optimism!

Emilie September 25, 2012

ps: I cannot wait to try your black bean and butternut squash burritos! I’ve never cooked with butternut squash and I learnt yesterday at the grocery store that pumpkin and squash only come in season mid-October here… waiting patiently ;)

molly September 25, 2012

Yum, made this tonight, but I used sesame seeds instead of pecans. So good!!! Whipped up a random tomato sauce to eat with it. Great combo! Thanks for another fantastic recipe :)

India Leigh @aveganobsession.com September 25, 2012

a cool breeze is blowing into the UK too! I’ve started eyeing up the hefty squashes in the supermarket. Your BEAUTIFUL post has found my tipping point! The almond parmesan
is a genius idea to frost the sweet roast. There is definitely something about roasted butter nut squash that makes you go…ahhhh! It will be risotto time again soon too!

x

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 25, 2012

I just love Butternut Squash and your dish looks amazing!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 25, 2012

I eat squash like it’s my job during the fall/winters, so I’m so excited about this recipe. It looks amazing!

rachel September 25, 2012

I love your “Parmesan” cheese idea!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 25, 2012

I LOVE every single one of those ingredients! It has to be delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe–can’t wait to try it. :)

kally September 25, 2012

I love this recipe, but wonder how it could be made with less oil (as in nuts). Do you think it would be just as good with less cheese, or could I somehow make the cheese a bit llighter? Any thoughts? I really like this site and recommend it to many of my friends.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2012

If it’s helpful at all, you really don’t get many nuts per serving – say if it serves 4, you’d only get 2 tbsp of nuts max.
Either way, if you want to lighten it up you could try grinding rolled oats to sub for half the nuts? Im sure sure how it would taste, but might be worth a shot.

kally September 25, 2012

Thanks, a great idea. i am going to try this tomorrow night. So you would basically chop up the oats in a food processor and add that in? Great idea.Would other nuts, like walnuts work?

I am restricted to 30 – 50 grams of good oils a day and very very low sat fats.
Thanks again.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2012

Yes that’s probably what I would try out! I really hope it works for you and tastes good. Let me know how it goes. :) Of course another option is to just cut the parm in half. enjoy

Andrea September 25, 2012

I just made this for lunch and it was OUTSTANDING! All of the flavors work beautifully together! Thanks again for another great recipe!

Kari@Loaves and Dishes September 25, 2012

A perfect fall meal. Yum.

CharmedYogi September 25, 2012

MMM. Two of my favorite foods – butternut squash and kale. I just made a butternut squash and kale soup with veggie broth, shitake mushrooms, miso, garlic and ginger. Yummy.

Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset September 25, 2012

You are an enabler! I have literally eaten 3 acorn squash myself over the past 6 days. This looks so good and fall-like :D

Sarah September 25, 2012

I made this last night and I served it over spinach and brown rice. It was so yummy and the house smelled delicious after baking it! Thank you for this fantastice recipe Angela! I will definetly be making it again :D

Dan September 25, 2012

Angela, I don’t really comment on many blogs as I just help my wife with hers. However, I have to say over the last month or so… your photography has gotten really awesome! I am liking the dark backgrounds a lot. Seems to bring the food out more.

Keep it up!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2012

Thank you Dan, that makes my week! I’ve been trying to branch out and try new things lately. I tend to only see parts I don’t like in my photos, so your praise is greatly appreciated!

Marisa September 25, 2012

Hello! I made this last night and impressed the heck out of my boyfriend, who is the normal chef in the house :) Thank you so much for such an awesome recipe!!!!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco September 25, 2012

Okay, I’m kind of in love with how you presented this dish. It looks sooooooo delish, and I can’t get over how your served it in the cast iron! Fabulous!

Kathy Steger September 25, 2012

Not a day goes by that I do not visit your site and salivate over beautiful photos of food. Absolutely love your blog

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

Thank you so much Kathy! :)

Sonal September 26, 2012

Ahh we had our first rain fall of the season and i’m so excited to make this dish! :) Love butternut squash!

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy September 26, 2012

I am so happy that it is squash season. I love all fall foods.

Cute kitty :)

Abby@ Totes Delish Blog September 26, 2012

This looks perfect for the fall weather : ) I have been meaning to make your parmesan cheese version for a while, this was just the reminder and inspiration I needed to make it happen!

Nancy September 26, 2012

Fabulous!!! Made this last night adding a couple of cans of chickpeas (a sure sign of laziness) and DOUBLED the amount of Parm cheez (a complete lack of interest in calories). So yummy :)

Sam Nicaise September 26, 2012

This is amazing! Just made some with delicata squash (no need to remove the outer shell) and it was probably the tastiest thing I have had in months. Went with extra garlic and rosemary instead of parsley. Props!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Glad to hear that Sam!

Jessica September 26, 2012

I made this for dinner tonight. My husband said, “Please tell Angela this is one of the best things you’ve ever made.” I let my beagle Zoe have a couple pieces. She’s typically indifferent to people food, but now she’s pulling out all the stops to get more. This will be a Thanksgiving side dish for sure! You are a genius :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

hah awww that is so amazing to hear! Glad it was a hit (even with the pooch) ;)

kally September 26, 2012

I made this as you suggested, with half nuts and half ground oatmeal. it was fabulous. I am sure it would be even more fabulous with all nuts, but I keep my oils to a minimum. Thanks for this incredible recipe. i will make this many more times.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Yay Im so glad it worked with oats! :) Thanks for letting me know.

Jamee September 29, 2012

Hi Angela! I totally made this yesterday with a couple of cute little butternut squashes from my mom’s garden that were just aching to be made into a delicious dish–and the stars aligned and you published this post and the squash was delicious and everything is right in the universe. Thank you so very much. I feel like you are my flavor-soulmate!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012

hah well Im honoured! ;) Glad you enjoyed it!

Beth September 30, 2012

Angela,

We tried this recipe of yours and it was so good! Even our sons who don’t care for butternut squash liked it. Thank you so much!

Naomi Jathan, RHN September 30, 2012

I made this today during a squash cooking spree. IT IS AMAZING!!!! I love your recipes and recommend them to clients a lot (I’m a Holistic Nutritionist). I love squash and love finding new yummy squash recipes =)

Erin September 30, 2012

This was amazing. I will definitely be making this again. Thank you!

Sarah September 30, 2012

This was sooooo delicious! And super easy to make (long baking time, but who cares? as long as I don’t have to spend that time cooking :P)

Jessica September 30, 2012

YUM! I just made this… love the “cheez” alternative. A great recipe for butternut squash! Everything in it is healthy and delish!

Nicole October 1, 2012

I had my non vegan friends over for dinner last week and made them some of your delicious fall recipes. They were all amazed by the rich flavors and healthiness of all the dishes!

I started them off with my go-to appetizer, Spinach and Artichoke dip (so creamy, they couldn’t believe it was bean puree) and the Mushroom Walnut Tart (first time, my new fave app that I want to make for Xmas). For dinner we had the Butternut Squash Mac N Cheese (so delish, I finally just finished the leftovers today) and the Butternut Squash with Almond and Pecan Parmesan (also a fave that’s surprisingly easy to make) because you can’t taste the butternut squash flavor in the Mac N Cheese recipe.

Thank you for providing us with tasty & nutritious vegan recipes!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2012

Wow you are superwoman! So happy to hear how well the dishes went for your party and that they were enjoyed. :) Now it’s time for you to kick back & relax, I’d say!

Christina October 2, 2012

This recipe rocked mine and my husband’s world last night! Thank you for the scrumptious recipes!!!

Cynthia October 4, 2012

You GENIUS, you!. =) Sooooooo perfect & hits all the right flavor & texture notes! The only thing I changed was that I didn’t have pecans that weren’t candied so I threw in just a few of those for a pecan taste & made up the difference with walnuts (to counter the sweetness of the sugar). Thank you for sharing with the world!

Leia October 6, 2012

What breed of cat is Sketchie? I’m going to get a cat soon and need recommendations, as I’ve never had one! :)

Heather L October 6, 2012

Dumb question here…is the nutritional yeast optional? I’m making this to bring to Thanksgiving tomorrow and don’t have it on hand…should I made the extra trip to get it? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 7, 2012

There is only 1 tbsp of nooch so I want to say skip it, however I find it really does add a nice Parmesan-y flavour. Either way Im sure it will still be good!

Heather L October 7, 2012

I did decide to buy it…I was intrigued. Dish is in the oven now and I’ll let you know how it goes…smells great. Looking forward to finding other uses for the yeast…! Thanks. (we’re not vegan but I’m enjoying the vegetables and other recipes!

Natalie October 8, 2012

Had this for dinner tonight, it was delish! Thanks for sharing!

LCI October 9, 2012

Tried this yesterday and it was excellent. I didn’t have kale so I used red chard and the colour of that added much to the dish. Will make again.

Page 2 of 4«1234»