British Columbia Trip: Vancouver, Part I

IMG_2778_79_80_tonemapped

Eric and I agreed to a laid back celebration for our wedding anniversary a couple weeks ago. Homemade cards and a home cooked meal sounded perfect, we had said. I whipped up a killer meal and we were just about in heaven stuffing ourselves silly.

Eric kept asking me when we could open our cards.

“How about at the end of the night?”

“You don’t want to just open them now…? I can’t wait for you to see my card!!!”

“Really? Mine is nothing to write home about…”

After dinner, and more pestering by Eric, we finally opened the cards.

My card was taped closed and it read: “TOP SECRET! Do not open!!!”

Amused, I carefully pulled off the tape so I could open the card. Eric watched in anticipation. The inside of the card read: “We’re going to British Columbia!!!” along with printed pictures of Vancouver, Victoria, and Whistler pasted all over the card. There was a road map with dates and everything all plotted out!

It was just about one of the best surprises I’ve ever had. Tears welled up in my eyes as I lurched across the couch to hug him silly.

We talked about going to B.C. earlier in the summer, but we were both too busy to take time off. I just gave up on the idea and hoped we’d make it next year. Little did I know, Eric was planning this trip for weeks, staying up late at night to plan while I slept. He researched, booked the hotels, read up on restaurants, and planned a few things to do in each city.

“Wait, there’s one condition!! You have to agree to a few things I’ve planned…”

“Ok?”

“Zip-lining, cliff walking, and suspension bridges!”

IMG_2681

There’s always a catch!

So here we are, two weeks later, enjoying a wonderful time in the beautiful British Columbia. Can you believe it’s my first time in BC? Eric has only been to Vancouver once on a business trip, but didn’t get to explore much at all. We’re staying in Vancouver first, and soon off to Victoria and Whistler. I’ve passed two challenges with flying colours, although I’m quite scared for the 5 zip-lines I’ll be flying down in Whistler!! If I live to tell you about it, you’ll be hearing about it soon!

IMG_2769_70_71_tonemapped

Here is a short summary of what we’ve been up to in Vancouver:

1. Hotel: Carmana Plaza

– Condo-style. Comes with complete full kitchen. Great if you like making breakfast or lunch in your own room before heading out. We’re on the 29th floor in a premium suite and have a great view (see above pics). Free wi-fi. Cons: The bed isn’t very comfy, it takes a long time for things to be brought up to the room, and parking is expensive and difficult to locate. The location of the hotel is great though and we’re literally steps from all the shopping on Robson. See detailed room pics in album.

2. Capilano suspension bridge and park

A fun, touristy park that features a suspension bridge, cliff walking, treetop walking, and gorgeous scenery. I have a ton of pics from the trip – so be sure to check them out in the album!

3. Granville Island

This is a must-see! There are all kinds of artsy shops, including a large indoor public market. It was absolutely packed when we went on a Friday, off-season, so get there early as parking can be tricky to find.

4. Shopping

Our hotel is steps to a lot of great shopping on Robson and surrounding areas.

5. Exploring Gastown, Kitsilano, Yaletown districts. Be warned – navigating the city is tricky for a tourist!!

6. Food highlights include Nuba (a lovely Lebanese restaurant), Naam (a 24 hour vegetarian restaurant with huge portions and line-ups), Samosas at Buddha-Full, smoothies and juices throughout the city. Acorn restaurant is still on the list too.

Still planned?

Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge

Photography of cityscapes

Stanley Park

Anything we’re missing?

If you’re interested in seeing what we’ve been up to so far in Vancouver, here’s an album I put together below! [Apologies in advance for the uneven formatting – something wonky is going on.]

More to come soon…

1 Maria September 15, 2012

I love how sweet Eric was when he wanted you to open your card RIGHT NOW! I think boys are worse at keeping secrets than us girls are!

We had a friend just move to Seattle (I’m so jealous), so we in the midst of planning a trip there and are going to head up to Vancouver as well. I’ll be bookmarking this post to assist in the planning.

Oh, and Happy Anniversary!

2 Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab September 15, 2012

If you manage stop by the loving hut express for lunch! it’s between Davie and Pacific blvd and you might want to check on their website first beacuse they’re not there every day!

3 Jaime September 15, 2012

I was going to write about the Loving Hut too! It is way better than the one in T.O. The burgers are AMAZING!

4 Jill in Chicago September 15, 2012

THAT. VIEW. Wow! What an awesome surprise!

5 sarah September 15, 2012

you’re in my beautiful city! you should also check out panz veggie- its a really yummy buddist restaurant in downtown Van. There is also a pho place on davie that has a really good cheap vegan pho :)
i did ziplining in whistler with ziptrek a few months ago and it was awesome. i hope you have a great time!

6 Allessia September 15, 2012

Ah! I’m a born and raised Torontonian who moved to Vancouver a year ago for a job. Let me warn you – you may never want to go back! If you’re looking for a few other things to do check out my Vancouver bucket list! I created it as a way to discover my new city and pass the time on board weekends!

And yes… Bike ride around Stanley Park is a must – and if you’re feeling brave and full of energy I dare you to climb the Grind!

7 Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy September 15, 2012

It looks beautiful – but that bridge looks scary.

8 LeeAnn September 15, 2012

Oh, what a fantastic trip! We were there 10 or 11 years ago — Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler and a stunningly beautiful small town north of Whistler called Pemberton, surrounded by the mountains. It was the trip of a lifetime. Enjoy every minute, and happy anniversary!

9 Caley September 15, 2012

When you are in Victoria you should check out Mole for breakfast or lunch – they have a few good vegan-friendly options and I love their pesto home fries. There’s also a vegan curio store right down the street at Market Square called Sarah’s Place (I’m sure you’ve heard of Sarah Kramer) that you might find worth checking out. Carlos’ Cantina in Sidney (on your way to Victoria from the ferry and airport) has amazing vegan enchiladas. And the Moss Street Market is my absolute favourite farmers market in town (runs Saturdays until 2pm if you’re in town for that). Some nice little areas of town to simply wander through outside of downtown are Cook Street Village/Fairfield, Oak Bay (check out Ottavio! Not exactly vegan-friendly, but an amazing little Italian Deli/Bakery/Cafe experience), and Dallas Rd.

Eric really did pick the best time to come to BC. Ben and I have always felt September is the best month to visit Victoria as most of the MAJOR tourist traffic is gone, and the weather is still summery!

If you guys happen to be up for an late afternoon/early evening or weekend hike, Ben and I would be happy to show you up Mt. Finlayson! (Really, I mean it! Email me if you’re interested.)

10 Caley September 15, 2012

Also, forgot to mention, if you have a car and are interested in heading up island a little way, there are fantastic wineries within 45 min-1 hour of downtown Victoria. My favourite is Venturi Schulz – family owned and operated, beautiful winery, all natural, organic, and vegan wine, and their balsamic vinegar is to die for!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 15, 2012

Thank you, that’s so sweet of you to offer!!

12 Christina September 17, 2012

So cool to see that you guys are coming to the island! I live in Victoria and I absolutely agree with all mentioned recommendations above. I look forward to some familiar pictures!

13 angela September 17, 2012

I think we took 200 today alone!!! Lol

14 Cara September 15, 2012

Did you take those twilight pictures?! Those are BEAUTIFUL!!

I hate suspension bridges too!! But I think Lynn Canyon is not as bad as Capilano–I was forced to go to Lynn Canyon but not Capilano :-) I recommend renting a tandem in Stanley Park–so much fun. Also, the art museum is really cool. Check out Sophie’s Cosmic Cafe.

I LOVED Victoria!! Take the tour of the capital building and go to the Royal BC Museum! Have fun!

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 15, 2012

Thanks everyone, we greatly appreciate your suggestions!!!

16 christyn September 15, 2012

hey angela!! hope your enjoying vancouver. another restaurant you MUST check out for the BEST raw vegan food is Organic Lives 451 granville st…..anything there is fantastic!! Whole Foods also carries their chocolate macaroons that you really have to try. best ever.

17 christyn September 15, 2012

oh and definitely try Organic Lives coconut water!!

18 Christa @ Edible Balance September 15, 2012

Best coconut water ever!! LOVE Organic Lives!

19 Amber September 15, 2012

If you’re looking for a place to eat for lunch, there us a wonderful restaurant called Gorilla Food downtown at Pender & Richards street. It’s delicious, raw, organic, vegan! It’s open until 6 everyday… A must try!

20 Judith September 15, 2012

Hi!

I never left a comment on your site before, but I just had to now! I’m from the Netherlands, but lived a year in Vancouver and I discovered your website while I was there and reading it ever since.

Now I see you post, my heart hurts.. I love that city so much! I need to go back soon. A cool restaurant is also The Foundation, a vegetarian restaurant on Main Street (a really cool street to check out) and if you tell the staff that you’re vegan, they can recommend you great things and substitute things etc (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/180661/restaurant/Mount-Pleasant-Main-Street/The-Foundation-Vancouver).

Enjoy your stay!

21 Shauna September 15, 2012

I second the recommendation for Foundation. Such great food!

22 Carly September 15, 2012

Yay! I live an hour east of Vancouver, so glad you get to enjoy our little corner of the country. I did the zipline in Whistler two or three years ago and had a blast. I was TERRIFIED, and I learned the key was to go first so that you aren’t standing on the ledge getting worked up! Seriously, make sure to go first from your group!

If you’re in the mood for Mexican, Chronic Tacos is pretty much my favorite place on earth. There’s a bunch of locations and some of them look like total dumps, but I assure you it’s amazing!

Have a great time :)

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 15, 2012

hah yes I think I will try to go first!!! ahhhhhhhhhhh

24 Kelsey September 15, 2012

Git thy butt to East Van! Breakfast at Bandidas on Commercial Drive and 12th, a stroll through the quirky shops and cafes of the Drive, then hop over to Kingsway and… 8th?… for a burrito at Budgie’s Burritos! (I recommend the “Johnny O”). After that, walk down to the Olympic Village and stroll around the False Creek section of the seawall, which (if you walk long enough) takes you all the way through Granville Island and into Kits. If you make it that far, reward yourself with a slice of vegan pie at Aphrodite ($$$$, but worth it!).

Enjoy our beautiful city, you certainly picked the perfect weekend for it :)

Oh, and it’s Gastown, not Gaslamps :)

25 Kelsey September 15, 2012

Oh and I almost forgot, while in Olympic Village, stop for a drink at the Tap and Barrel, the best patio in the city!

26 Tara Drury September 15, 2012

Wahooooo!! Whistler is my hometown! So please enjoy! I am away in California for the month or I would so be on the look out for you! HAHA If you need tips on places to eat please check out- Elements- (they do delicious tofu lettuce wraps- not too expensive), Alta Bistro (they do meatless Monday’s, and they have vegan options a little more pricey), Moguls Coffee House (They are a coffee shop with vegan muffins and cookies), and we also have a local website Earthsave Whistler (http://earthsavewhistler.com/resources/) that has some tips on places to go. Surprisingly enough, there are not a ton of vegan options, other than the house salad at a lot of places. Calling ahead works good too. When driving up, if you have the chance stop in Squamish and go to Zephyr Cafe (they have raw food, vegan food, juices, and smoothies) Have FUN!!!

27 Andrea G September 15, 2012

Happy Anniversary! Ah, my hometown, how I miss it! You must see the Vancouver Aquarium while you are in Stanley Park. If you have time, drive out to Karmavore Vegan Shop in New Westminster. Shopping along W. 10th and W. 4th are always good. Check out the cute shops and restaurants in Yaletown. There is just so much to do! If you have a chance, another one that is, you may want to venture into Richmond and visit Steveston. It is a Fishing Village with great shops and great food.

I went to uni in Victoria. It has changed a lot since I was there but the Harbour is always a safe bet, with the Parliament Buildings and the waterfront.

Whistler, every thing goes there! Ask anyone at the hotel where you are staying and they will give you many an idea of places to visit!

Have fun!!!

28 l September 15, 2012

I’m a long time Victoria resident, and it is a great city to visit – very tourist friendly!

Here are a few places to visit try that are close to downtown and within minutes of each other:

Amazing Raw food, the only one in Victoria: http://www.cafebliss.ca/ (creamy green smoothie and raw chocolates are to die for. They also recently published a beautiful cookbook worth picking up)

For a pick-me-up: http://habitcoffee.com/ (the most amazing almond milk latte of your life)

And an absolute classic not to be missed during your stay! The famous vegatarian restaurant Rebar. http://www.rebarmodernfood.com/ Fresh juices, a fabulous dish called the monks curry, and a quinoa salad to which my roomate has a veritable addiction.

– A non-tourist secret is Russel’s books on Fort Street for a quirky, unique and trifty experience.

Enjoy my beautiful home!

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 15, 2012

thanks so much, I have many of those on the list!

30 Sarah September 15, 2012

Hi! I have lived in Vancouver for over a year now and have found some great places to eat! If you still have time, Gorilla Food (http://gorillafood.com/) on Richards is a super yummy raw restaurant, I also love Organic Lives and all of the wonderful pho. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

31 Dayna September 15, 2012

Hi! I’ve been following your blog for awhile but, have yet to comment – until now.
I’m a Torontonian and just moved to Vancouver 2 weeks ago and I LOVE it! I went to the Acorn restaurant last Sunday and got there 15 minutes after opening and it was JAM PACKED. Had to wait at least an hour for a table. The food was good – some much better than others. They definitely found a niche market in vegetarian fine dining. If you have to wait for a table there is a sustainable clothing store a few doors down. The owner is very enthusiastic and a pleasure to talk to too. My dad, a senior, did the Ziplining and loved it so don’t worry at all. I went to Lynn last weekend and it was fantastic. The suspension bridge was small but the park is beautiful. There are also pool holes to swim in but, the water is freezing. Enjoy!

32 Gloria September 15, 2012

As a few people have suggested, definitely check out Las Bandidas on commercial drive if you’re in the mood for some vegetarian/vegan mexican food :) And if you’re looking to get a good workout in, try the grouse grind. The view up top is wonderful!
Hope you’re enjoying your stay here :)

33 Christa @ Edible Balance September 15, 2012

Nicely done Eric! My hubby and I hope to get to Vancouver very soon… it’s been way too long and there is so much I want to do! I’ve never been to Whistler, that is a must. Looking forward to more posts of your trip!

34 moonsword September 15, 2012

Love Granville Island! So many supertalented artists, especially goldsmiths. Would love to do a studio/gallery tour there this fall. Thanks for sharing your trip!

35 Helen September 15, 2012

I live in Vancouver (in a suburb actually) and we just went to Whistler a couple of weeks ago for a 3 day getaway. One of my favourite places!! make sure you take the gondola or chair up the mountain (either one) and take the Peak 2 Peak gondola over to the other mountain. There are wonderful hiking trails on both mountains. My husband even convinced me to take the peak chair up Whistler mountain- I was white-knuckling it, but the views were breathtaking. I couldn’t face the zip-lining but I know people rave about it.
Make sure you go to Dubh Lin Gate Pub. It’s near the base of Blackcomb in the bottom of the Pan Pacific Hotel. We always have a great time there. They have live music and fun atmosphere. Another place we discovered is Elements Tapas restaurant. Look it up, I can’t recall exactly where it is, but it’s in the village. Super interesting food!! So nice to try small portions of a bunch of different foods. We loved it. Let’s see, what else? Do you like cycling? Rent bikes and try out the mountain bike trails. So fun and all different levels, some easy, some more challenging. Our bikes aren’t even real mountain bikes and it was fine. Have a great time. I can’t wait to go back!!

36 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 15, 2012

Looks like a great time! Fun pics and I laughed at your wonky formatting comment….I spend more time trying to figure out formatting on things that I ever thought possible! lol

37 Ellie @ healthy belly ellie September 15, 2012

I live in Vancouver and I absolutely love it here! Isn’t it gorgeous?!? If you do go to the Loving Hut food truck… maybe I’ll run into you – hehe I walk by it every single day!! If you are into hiking, you should check out Grouse Mountain. The hike is called “Grouse Grind” – it’s a fun work out!! It’s pretty close to the suspension bridge :)

38 Naomi Casiro (Health Here Help There) September 15, 2012

Angela Im from Vancouver! Im so glad you get to enjoy the beautiful sights of the city!! There are some awesome restaurants there with great vegan option including one called the Naam Hope you enjoy your trip!

39 Suz @ avocadoandbasil September 15, 2012

I spent a year in Vancouver, LOVED it there. You have to check out Urban Fare in Yale Town, the coolest grocery store, you’ll love it.

40 Michelle@Peachy Palate September 15, 2012

Vancouver is my favourite place in the world, loved it there! Make sure to do some tandem biking around the city :) And the zip lining is great fun in Whistler! Don’t forget a visit to the Aquariam in Stanley Park. And maybe a football game at BC place? :) So jealous of you being there! Of course a trip to lululemon on Robson!

41 NorthVanVegan September 15, 2012

You’ve already been to some of my favourites! I agree with previous posters, definitely check out Loving Hut food truck, Panz, and Karmavore! I’d love to hear what you say about Acorn, I haven’t been there yet. Enjoy this beautiful day!

42 Amy September 15, 2012

Hi Angela,

I live in Victoria and i have 2 recommendations for you for awesome awesome restaurants….one for vancouver and one for victoria. The one in Van is called The Foundation and it has great veggie/vegan food, the service isnt great but who cares if the food is!! Their platters are so so good. Its best to go there for dinner as opposed to lunch as the menus are different. The one in Vic is called Cafe Bliss. Its all raw vegan and it is so so so delicious!!
Hope you are enjoying beautiful BC…its such an incredible province.

43 Andrea @ Vegvacious September 15, 2012

That view is incredible!! What a sweet anniversary surprise!!!

44 Shelly September 15, 2012

Vancouver is such a beautiful city to both live and visit. I agree with the person who said once your here you will never want to leave. I moved here 2 years ago now from Edmonton, Alberta for Culinary school and decided to make this beautiful city my home. False Creek ferries is another affordable attraction for visitors, you can hop on and go to Granville Island and avoid driving around in circles looking for parking, or take the loop around to each false creek. Deep Cove is another beautiful place to visit, they rent Kayaks there as well. Even taking the Sea Bus from Waterfront to Lonsdale Quay Market is another nice thing to explore. Have fun with whatever you do, it’s beautiful wherever you go.

45 Sarah Anne September 15, 2012

He new restaurant scene in gastown is amazing! Hit up Cartems Donuterie on Hastings and carral St. They have vegan AND gluten free donuts! (And they are amazing. If they have a vegan “bee sting” …get it!) They also use local and organic products and list where their ingredients come from at the shop!

Sunday, there is a food cart festival on Hastings at The Waldorf hotel from 12-6 I think. Super fun scene.

Also? Nuba is my FAVOURITE!

46 Sarah Anne September 15, 2012

Oh! Foundation is great. Also, Wallflower Diner has a full vegan menu, across from Foundation.

Walking from Kits beach to Granville island is a favourite.

47 Amy @ changing the now September 15, 2012

I love Vancouver! It’s such an awesome place, i have been over twice from the UK and loved both visits… my favourite things i did there were a bike ride around Stanley Park and enjoying birthday cocktails in the Cloud 9 REVOLVING restaurant at the top of the Empire Hotel on Robson St!!

Eric is such a sweetie arranging this… my anniversary is in October so may keep this post open on my laptop for my husband to find… may give him an idea! x

48 Rika September 15, 2012

Yay – you’re in my city! I can second the suggestions of Panz Veggie and Gorilla Food for sure. If you’re out and about see if you can find the Loving Hut food truck in Yaletown – it’s amazing! http://lovinghutvancouver.ca/Vancouver_LH/HOME.html

Have a blast! Vancouver is the best :)

49 Megan September 15, 2012

In Vancouver, Gastown and the UBC campus are both worth a look. Gastown is full of cool shops and restaurants and UBC…well the views out to the water are amazing!!

Also, Lighthouse Park is in West Van, and it amazing!

50 ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli September 15, 2012

Commericial Drive in Vancouver is a pretty cool area to check it. I think it was mentioned above, but the Grouse Grind is a fun hike with pretty cool views at the top and a gondola for the way down. If you make it out to Victoria and have a car consider checking out Butchart Gardens. I don’t know what it’s like at this time of year so maybe check their website first. Have fun!

51 Tatomme September 15, 2012

Ohh wow!! What a lovely vacation you have had and have ahead of you!! Be sure to check out Cafe Bliss (a raw vegan restaurant,) Rebar (great veg restaurant with a cookbook!) and Lady Marmalade (for brunch/lunch) when you are in Victoria. Pagliacci’s is also amazing for lunch/brunch. The Tapa Bar is also really nice for appetizers (ie. tapas…) and cocktails! They are all incredible in their own ways. For a real feel of the ocean, head down to Ogden Point and walk/run along Dallas Road. It’s absolutely beautiful feeling the salty air and hearing the waves crash against the point. Have a wonderful time on the coast.

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 15, 2012

Wow you are all so helpful, huge thanks!!!

53 laura September 15, 2012

Oh my goodness! You’ll be in my city(Victoria). :)
& Vancouver is my fav city<3 & The Naame is awesome.
Im so excited for you, have fun… maybe Ill see you sightseeing in Vic.
I recommend Cafe Bliss.

54 Jane September 15, 2012

Hi Angela!

You are in my city! I was going to suggest OrganicLives to you but I see that others have already done that. Ziplining is amazing, you will love it!

Enjoy your visit!

55 Weedwacker September 15, 2012

I got goosebumps just reading about the planning of your trip. You are so lucky to have a husband that has planned all that for you. Sounds like a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing…I’m taking notes!

56 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 15, 2012

Ahh what an amazing surprise! That’s so sweet of him to have planned everything out for you guys! I’m really jealous. I’ve always wanted to visit BC – it seems like it has such amazing outdoorsy activities and a fun, laid back culture. Plus good food. ;) I hope you guys enjoy the rest of your trip!

57 Victoria Okrusko September 15, 2012

AHH I love Nuba!!! And Granville Island! I’m from Alberta but try to get out to Van a couple times a year. You must try Gorilla Food for lunch… sandwiches/salads/smoothies/desserts are to die for and all raw and vegan. You should also try to do the Grouse Grind! Totally worth it and a great workout. Can’t wait to hear about the rest of your trip :)

58 L September 15, 2012

September is the best time to visit Victoria, it’s gorgeous here today! :)
There are so, so many great places to see- if you’re walking around downtown- Cafe Bliss, Silk Road tea, Rebar, Union Pacific coffee, Habit coffee, a walk along the inner harbour, fisherman’s wharf, dallas rd, cook st village….
My fav thing to do with out of town guests is to pick up some yummy treats at Pure Vanilla and head to Willows Beach (seriously, this morning on my run, the view was ridiculous. I try not to take for granted that this is my daily morning view!). From there you can head up to the Gonzales observatory, and the views from atop that…. :)
If you want to see some amazing coast line and have some time, head out of town, past sooke to the Juan de Fuca provincial park- French, Sombrio and Botanical Beaches are AMAZING. The west coast of the island is rugged and gorgeous.

Ok, I’ll stop now… Enjoy your west coast visit!

59 Katie September 17, 2012

I second this comment… the beaches out past Sooke are phenomenal! Good hiking out there as well!

Green Cuisine is in market square (between Johnson and Pandora St). It is in a all-vegan buffet-style restaurant. Another person mentioned the vegan curio shop; it is directly above Green Cuisine.
If you feel like a quick slice of Pizza, “The Joint” always has vegan slices on hand!
If you feel like doing the high tea at the Empress, they can accommodate a vegan with notice in advance.

If you have a car, it is nice to go up Mt Tolmie (about a ten minute drive from downtown) and watch the sun go down. You can drive to the top.

Have fun!

60 Heather September 15, 2012

So glad you are enjoying Vancouver! It looks as though you are doing all the right kind of touristy activities as well. Since Acorn is a fairly new restaurant in Vancouver, there tends to be long line ups (although if you’ve already lined up at the Naam then you’re well prepared) but if you get too hungry, there is an AMAZING, AMAZING spot called “East is East” which is close to the Acorn on Main and 28th (http://www.eastiseast.ca/), you will not be disappointed. There is also the Foundation on lower Main street which is good too.

I’m writing this while making roasted tomato pesto pizza from your Project Food blog recipe! We love it.

61 Nikki@ActiveVegetarian September 15, 2012

YAH!!! Welcome to BEAUTIFUL Vancouver!!! (I moved here about 16 months ago from Ontario, and still appreciate the beauty of the city and surroundings everyday!)

What a sweetheart of Eric! I hope both of you are enjoying every minute of it.

Happy Anniversary!

62 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 15, 2012

Well, according to Instagram, you are having an awesome time so far!! I can’t wait to see what you get up to next! I loved running through Stanley Park last month, and I bet you are getting some AWESOME shots! Have you been walking along the sea wall yet? I loved it there… although the seaweed was a little smelly! Would have LOVED to do some hiking and zip lining too if we’d had time. I can’t wait to hear all about it, and your hikes too! Have fun Ange!! :)

63 Kate September 15, 2012

What a great anniversary surprise – well done Eric! If you have a couple hours to spare do the Grouse Grind in North Van. It is a great workout – and there’s a Starbucks at the bottom so after you’ve taken the gondola back down you can reward yourself :)

64 Stacy September 15, 2012

I live in Kits and work at UBC and we always tell people to check out the Museum of Anthropology. It is word class with some amazing works of art. Go!!

65 Kirsta September 15, 2012

The other Victorians who commented covered all the great places to eat here if you’re vegan, but how about things to do? Weekday evenings you can rent kayaks in the Inner Harbour for cheap, either singles or one double. Hike Mt Finlayson or Mt Doug, and this city is super bike friendly with tons of bike paths so you can rent bikes to get around. The shopping on lower Johnson Street (LoJo) is great, as is antiquing on upper Fort Street. Go check out the amazing tea shop Silk Road on Government Street in China Town, their little tea accessories are adorable too!

Hope you enjoy it here, Victoria, Vancouver Island and BC in general are crazy beautiful, and yes I’m totally biased. :)

66 Brooke September 15, 2012

I just went to those 3 places last month! They were all amazing! Buschardt Gardens in Victoria is beautiful, a must see. Cafe Bliss in Victoria was great, the Thai Noodle Bowl was delish!

67 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 15, 2012

What a sweet surprise!! I can’t believe you’ve never been to BC, it’s one of my favorite provinces to visit. Actually, scratch that, it IS my favorite. The suspension bridge experience is one of a kind! I did it with a bunch of high school friends years ago. It wasn’t cool to be scared so I had to suck it up even though I was absolutely terrified. Enjoy your time away!

68 Samantha September 15, 2012

How exciting! The Foundation makes some really great vegan food. The vibe of the place is pretty low-key, but the food is totally worth it!

I lived in Victoria last year, so I have a few suggestions. Hit up Moss Street Market if you’re around for it. B-Red Bakery is great. Rebar is pretty good for food, as well as Bin 4 Burger. They do a great tofu and black bean burger with a great wine list. OH, and track down some Cold Comfort ice cream!! She does classic ice cream as well as a vegan coconut milk ice cream, and they are SO good. Her products are available at Aubergine’s, Niagara, Peppers, and she usually sells at whichever markets are on.

If you’re planning on going for a run while you’re there (or a walk I guess), do so on Dallas Rd by Beacon Hill Park or Beach Rd. They’re right by the ocean and sooooo nice!

Oh man, talking about Victoria is making me miss it so much! Have fun!

69 Kim September 15, 2012

I just moved from Toronto to Squamish (on the way to Whistler)! You will love your visit here…watching a sunset at English beach is stellar, as is all the hiking. Garibaldi Lake hike might be one of my favourites so far…Hope you enjoy the west coast!

70 Erin September 15, 2012

Vancouver is my hometown too! I so love seeing it through the eyes of visitors and hearing about your experiences here! I’ve lived here my whole life and Granville Island is still one of my favourite places to visit. I’m so glad you’re enjoying yourself, you have quite the trip planned. Everyone else has given such thorough suggestions… but I have to say, make sure not to miss the seawall, obviously… and the Acorn is on Main Street, which is a very cool neighbourhood to wander around in – lots of cool boutiques to peruse. Hope you guys have a blast!

71 Becca September 16, 2012

So excited for you two! I live in Victoria and there is so much to explore and eat over here! Check out Rebar, Ingredients cafe, Habit coffee, Mol:e, and cafe Bliss…They are all Gems! Oh and be sure to enjoy Dallas road and Beacon Hill park….one of the most beautiful spots in Victoria :) Enjoy!

72 Hannah September 16, 2012

I second so many suggestions:
– aphrodites
– foundation
– rebar (victoria)
– the grouse grind!!

have fun in the most beautiful city on earth! you picked the right time of year to visit! :)

73 Hilary September 16, 2012

I got so excited when I read this! My sister and I are big fans of your blog and we grew up in North Vancouver! In fact, we went hiking in Lynn Canyon yesterday morning! I’d choose the suspension bridge there over the Capilano bridge any day!

The Naam is my favourite place to eat in Vancouver but Aphrodite’s cafe is a very close second- their pies are to die for. I would strongly suggest that you try and make it there!

While you’re in Victoria there are two restaurants you must try:
1. Rebar
I’ve had their cookbook for years, but only visited their restaurant for the first time this summer. We went two nights in a row. Check out their cookbook while you’re there. (Your blog and their cookbook are the pretty much the 2 sources for every recipe I make)

2.The Noodle Box.
Huge portions and amazing, amazing food. It has an awesome atmosphere, and Victoria is the restaurant’s hometown.

I hope you enjoy your visit!

Aphrodite’s: http://www.organiccafe.ca/
Rebar: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/317/1344948/restaurant/Downtown/Rebar-Modern-Food-Victoria
The Noodle Box:http://thenoodlebox.net/

74 Sonal September 16, 2012

Omg those pictures look unbelievable! I’ve been to Vancouver once and I loved it so much! You guys seem to be having an amazing time! Good luck with zip lining! haha as soon as you take off you’ll love it! :)

75 Heidi kokborg September 16, 2012

It looks great! I really hope both of you have an amaing time in BC :)

76 Danielle September 16, 2012

If you have time – do the Grouse Grind in Vancouver. Amazing exercise but at the top you’ll get a beautiful view over the entire city. If you don’t have time for this – on your way up to Whistler I suggest stopping at the lookout on Cypress Mountain – its maybe 5 min off the highway as you make your way to Whistler.

77 Grace @ Grace Dishes September 16, 2012

I haven’t been to Vancouver in years and your photos really take me back! It looks incredible! Thanks for sharing :)

78 Belladonna September 16, 2012

Awwww what a lovely trip and what a sweet hubby! Glad you had a great time.. seems you work so very hard, you probably needed that :-)

79 adam September 16, 2012

we lived in Van and Victoria for a couple of years until recently. Seems like from the comments you’ve got most things covered.. commercial drive is cool and the vegan mexican place there, Main St and foundation, Naan in Kits, Noma in Gastown. Saravhana Bhavan have great and very cheap Indian on West 7th. Terra breads at Granville and the cafe in Main.
Victoria, where do I begin…Mole, Rebar, Bubby Rose’s, there is a great Mexican place in the Mall, a vegan Thai place and great Sri Lankan going down towards cook street village. Then of course Green Cuisine on Market Sq for cheap and healthy self-serve classic veggie fare. Have a great time!!!

80 Ivy September 16, 2012

What a lovely gift! Next time you’re back to Van you should check out Foundation on Main. I feel like you (and Eric) would like it a lot. They have a great sesame sauce. I hope the rest of your adventure goes well!

81 Robyn September 16, 2012

Wow,,,what a fantastic surprise and a wonderful, thoughtful husband you have!! Happy Aniverssary to you guys. Great photos and loved reading all the great suggestions from your other followers…it’s been yrs,,,but must get back to this beautiful area :)

82 Tracy September 16, 2012

If it’s not too late, be sure to check out the Butchart Gardens in Victoria. They are so beautiful!

83 Megan September 16, 2012

I’ll agree with Tracy and suggest the Butchart Gardens. It’s a bit pricey, but it really is worth it. Also in Victoria is Sarah’s Place, a wonderful vegan store. The owner is amazing and will make great suggestions regarding what to do!

In Vancouver, don’t forget to check out Edible Flours, the BEST vegan bakery (better than Babycakes!!).

Have a great trip!

84 Nicole September 16, 2012

I haven’t read through all the comments, but try and hike The Chief in Squamish on your way up to Whistler. The views are amazing, and make the tough trek so worth it!!!

85 Yasmine Hardcastle September 16, 2012

You’re in my lovely city! What a sweetie your Eric is. You’ve covered most of it (and yes, Nuba is fantastic!) but I do recommend a bike ride or walk around our sea wall. It runs around Stanley park and the entire downtown core. Science World is worth a visit (and a walk around Olympic Village), as are the Art Gallery and the museum of anthropology at UBC. Hiking the Squamish Chief or the Grouse Grind – both have awesome views and a good workout. The Grind has a nice restaurant at the top but I’m not sure how many vegan options they have. Whistler is awesome and Victoria is lovely. You will love the ferry ride.
There are also a couple nice wineries on the Island.

If you have time, a visit to New Westminster might interest you as there is a vegan food and products shop called Karmavore. They have a clothing shop at street level and a food shop and bakery below. They also sell vegan cosmetics. There is also a small salon across the street that does all natural mani-pedis.

And I’ve written a post “novel”. Oops. Lol. We have friends in town from Scotland right now and are about to embark on the same routes for the week. Enjoy your time in beautiful BC!!

86 Brittany September 16, 2012

Yay! I love B.C. and especially Vancouver, because it’s where my beloved friend Stina lives! Granville Island is awesome!! I love the brewery and the farmer’s market. Glad you’ve had a bunch of fun!

87 MIchelle September 16, 2012

You will love being a West Coast girl! Living here in Victoria for the past 15 years…I can honestly say that it is an amazing city with surprises tucked into nooks and crannies that we continue to stumble upon! It is short and sweet – but check out Fan Tan Alley – it is eclectic and a must for a tourist of Victoria! I cannot wait to see my beautiful city captured by your photographic eye on your site! Enjoy every minute of your holiday – and Happy Anniversary!

88 Tanya @ playful and hungry September 16, 2012

Looks like you had a really great trip! Nice!!!

89 Sarah L. September 16, 2012

GROUSE GRIND GROUSE GRIND!! That’ll get you darn hungry, that’s for sure. Also, if you guys are still in Vancouver right now, and if you love horses, take a trip down to Southlands – I used to keep my horse down there, and it’s very close to the city. No public riding as far as I know, but tons of horses to pat over the fence!

Enjoy the rest of your trip, BC is so gorgeous!

90 Nadiya September 16, 2012

How ironic! I just submitted my medical school application to University of British Columbia (Vancouver) yesterday. Who knows maybe I’ll be visiting Vancouver myself sometime soon :P Glad you enjoyed the trip ^^

91 kerri September 16, 2012

Hello – can you PLEASE tell me the name/brand of your high brown boots in the first set of pictures of your trip.

I LOVE them
Thanks
Kerri

92 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

Thanks Kerri – they are from Payless last season! Vegan to boot…pun intended. ;)

93 Stephanie September 16, 2012

Angela!

Vancouverite transplanted to Victoria 5 years ago here, also first comment!

The absolute best vegan meal here in town is at ReBar! Right in the centre of downtown. Lots of great things to do as well!!

Enjoy the beautiful cities :)

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

We ate their last night – so good!! Lucky you for living here, we adore Victoria.

95 christina September 16, 2012

I went to Vancouver at the end of July and I suggest the Grouse Grind (a pretty intense hike… picture a million and five steps carved into a mountain with very little breaks in the vertical climb), Savoury Island bakery/cafe, ziplining in Whistler (for extra excitement, ask the guides to teach your or Eric how to zip over the river upside down!!), walking along the seawall and/or biking through Stanley Park (there’s a bike rental place across the street from the entrance). BC is beautiful and the weather is perfectly moderate… I can’t understand why my grandparents ever settled down in Ontario.

96 Lucent Imagery September 16, 2012

What a wonderful surprise! Happy anniversary. My husband and I are approaching our 5th wedding anniversary and after initially thinking we would stay home or just go to a restaurant, we’re very excited with our new plans. I adore Vancouver and have been lucky to visit twice all the way from Australia. One of my favourite days is when we walked the circumference of the city from gastown past Yaletown around to Stanley Park. Just a beautiful waterfront walk. I agree that Granville Island is inspiring with all that food!

97 Lilian September 16, 2012

You should totally try “the foundation” vegan restaurant in East Van! I’ve been craving their food since I’ve moved down to LA. *tear*

98 Morgan September 16, 2012

I’m so jealous! My husband and I went to those three cities on our honeymoon 2 years ago, and we would love to go back! Check out the aquarium in Stanley Park, Butchart Gardens and tea time at the Empress in Victoria, and the Peak to Peak in Whistler. Enjoy!

99 Amy September 16, 2012

I live in Victoria! This is so exciting that you will be here! My friend actually texted me saying that she thought she saw you! I guess she did :) Maybe I will see you around! I’ll be sure to say “hi” if I do! Don’t forget to check out Rebar while you’re here!!

100 Emily @ Greens, Eggs, & Hamstrings September 16, 2012

My home city – and guess what? I am in Toronto right now! If you like sushi – go to Yamato on Davie St. They have the most amazing deals and it’s sooo good! Artigiano’s coffee is also amazing (multiple locations around the city). The Naam is really good! I have never done the Capilano Suspension Bridge!

101 Georgia September 16, 2012

Yay! you are visiting my hometown! Two things to do on the North Shore: Go to Deep Cove on and either hike up to Quarry Rock or rent a kayak and go for a paddle. Be sure to stop at Honey’s Donuts (although maybe not vegan?). Also Grouse Mountain! Hike up the Grind then enjoy the view over the city (you can visit the bears, have a drink at the restaurant then take the gondola back down).

102 Georgia September 16, 2012

Also, have you biked around Stanley Park yet? That is a classic must-do for downtown.

103 Connie the Cookie Monster September 16, 2012

omg youre in my hometown!!!!! welcome to vancouver!

104 Brigitte September 16, 2012

hey welcome to our neck of the woods. Sounds like you are really enjoying yourselves. If you want a hike with scenic rewards try the Grouse Grind. Hike up ride down… enjoy

105 Evie September 16, 2012

Welcome to Vancouver! Definitely check out Dr. Sun Yat Sun Garden. It’s not too big but a lovely experience going through a traditional Chinese garden in the city. It’s nearby Stadium Chinatown Skytrain Station. And Stanley Park is really nice too! There is also a horse drawn carriage that goes around the park and an aquarium in the center.

106 Florence September 16, 2012

Wow- My heart hurts too looking at those pictures…of the city I spent 10+ years in and my kids were born in Squamish. We moved to Atlanta two years ago..
Enjoy, soak it up and congrats- you have an incredible husband! What a team you guys make. Looks like from what I saw everyone has made amazing suggestions, don’t think I saw Onatah Coffee Shop though- they are in Squamish and make a wonderful pitstop on the way to Whistler. you will really need some yummy nutritious fuel if you climb the Chief when you pull into Squamish- it only takes about 1-2 hrs depending.

107 Stephanie @ Legally Blinde September 16, 2012

WOW, those pictures of the view from your hotel room are absolutely stunning. I keep scrolling back up to stare at them, haha. What a sweet surprise – that was so thoughtful of Eric! I’m super impressed that he was able to keep it a secret and did all of the planning himself. Thanks for sharing your pictures – looking forward to hearing/ seeing more of your adventure :) Enjoy!!

108 Shannon September 16, 2012

Very cool you are here! I love hearing what a vegan tourist has to say.
There was an article printed in a local paper last week you may find interesting http://m.straight.com/s?fid=22&a=775676&f=latest&s=60
It’s top 5 vegan choices from Vancouver food trucks. I can’t wait to try them all! Also tons of choices on Commercial Drive.
Enjoy the rest of your trip!

109 Natasha Kay September 17, 2012

Victoria is our hometown and Tatomme (above) is totally right about Rebar and Lady Marmalade. But Pagliacci’s (or Pag’s, as we call it), although delicious, is totally NOT vegan-friendly! Nor is it calorie-friendly! ;)

But if you want my fave hot spots, hit up lower Pandora Street and in a matter of 20 feet, you’ve got:

– a late breakfast at Mole (http://www.molerestaurant.ca)
– espresso next door at Habit (http://habitcoffee.com)
– an AMAZING cashew chocolate milkshake (vegan!) at Cafe Bliss (http://www.cafebliss.ca)

Finally, if you’re looking for the most amazing gluten-free baked goods, there’s only one place in all of Victoria — Origins Bakery (http://www.originbakery.com)

Have fun!

110 Marina September 17, 2012

Welcome to Vancouver. You should try Organic Lives located on Granville and Hastings or on 2nd and Quebec. They have some great raw vegan food. There is also a raw vegan place called Gorilla Food on Richards and Pender. Nuba is delicious! I was just there last night.

111 Sarah September 17, 2012

Hi Angela
I just moved back to Australia after living in Vancouver!
You must do The Grouse Grind and hike The Chief (at Squamish, on the way to Whistler). There is the BEST view from the top of the Chief! It is not that hard, despite what the website and people might say. Jog or bike around Stanley park of course.
I really enjoyed eating at East is East (which is on W Broadway at Kitsilano and there is another one on Main St but I never went there) – The Gypsy Roti Roll is delish! There is a place in Gastown called “Meat & Bread” which probably won’t suit you but just putting it out there that they have THE BEST sandwiches I’ve ever had. Breakfast at Cafe Medina in Yaletown is a must as well. If you are looking for a cheap meal, Fresh Bowl is yummy, just ask for no meat and they will give you extra veggies! And like what another reader said, Urban Fare is a must (2 locations in town and another one down in Yaletown) – as is Wholefoods (not sure if you have that where you live?).
I am so hungry just writing this.
Have fun!

112 paula September 17, 2012

What a great surprise!!
when you are in victoria a great thing to do is whale watching, this is really amazing. Also a wonderful yummy place to eat is called Rebar…fantastic food vegetarian and vegan food. You can also purchase their cookbook there…totally worth it. Have a great trip.

113 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning September 17, 2012

How amazing of your husband!! Wow!!
My honeymoon last year included 2 days in Victoria and 2 days in Vancouver. Stanley Park is a must! Rent bikes!
My favorite thing we did was hike Grouse Grind. It was incredible (and pretty darn challenging!)- that would definitely be my #1 thing to do in Vancouver. Capilano was pretty cool too- but anything after Grouse Grind just didn’t measure up. :)

114 Ashley Elaine September 17, 2012

I’m sure lots of people have mentioned this already – but if you’re a fitness lover, you gotta hike the Grouse Grind! Then explore Grouse Mountain at the top!

115 Ashley Elaine September 17, 2012

And for eats: Gorilla Food, Bandidas, The Foundation, East is East (mmm!), Aphrodites.

116 Jenny September 17, 2012

Heyyy! You finally made your way to beautiful BC, more specifically Vancouver. 8D I hope you get a chance to check out Aphrodite’s – they offer vegan and GF dining options and have great food. (They’re in Kitsilano!) If you’re up for a challenge, try the Grouse Grind, if you haven’t already. :) I agree with another commenter that mentioned Commercial Drive – there are plenty of good places to eat along that road, and it’s also quite “funky”. Definitely keep with your plan to check out Stanley Park – maybe go around the Seawall at a leisurely pace on a pair of rented bicycles?

Have fun! Vancouver is a lovely city at this time of the year. :)

117 Katie September 17, 2012

The Naam is definately a winner! If you didn’t have their gravy and fries the first visit, go back and get some! Their gravy is the best thing ever – and I don’t usually like gravy (or fries)! They also sell it in bottles, but I was thwarted in my stashing due to carry-on restrictions …

A fancier restaurant to try is Vij’s (parent restaurant) or Vij’s Rangoli (second restaurant and market – more casual) (http://www.vijs.ca/). They are owned by Vikram Vij, and are Indian restaurants. Vikram Vij is frequently on the Food Network, has been a judge on Top Chef Canada, and is also a regular columinist with Globe and Mail. The restaruants themselves have been highly praised by Mark Bittman, featured at James Beard galas, and even on Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations! His cooking philosophy eschews fusion, trying to keep it as Indian as possible, and aims for sustainable, local ingredients.

Enjoy Vancouver (and area)! The zipline at Whistler will be a lifetime memory – there is nothing like it!

118 Heather September 17, 2012

I just moved to Vancouver 6 months ago to study holistic nutrition and there are more vegan and gluten-free food options here than anywhere I’ve EVER been! It’s amazing! If you can, you must check out Aphrodite’s Cafe and Pie Shop. http://www.organiccafe.ca/ They have a huge selection of the BEST vegan and g-free pies in the world! A bit pricey, soooo well worth it! All their ingredients are organic and locally sourced where possible. ALSO – Edible Flours is an wonderful little vegan bakery on West Broadway. The gluten free, vegan cinnamon bun rocks my world! http://www.edibleflours.ca/ ENJOY your trip!!! BC is an endless land of beauty, fun, discovery, and over the top of yum food! :)

119 Michelle {LiveLoudly} September 17, 2012

Welcome! welcome welcome to Vancouver.
What a cute surprise for your anniversary – surprises (especially trips) are always the best.
I would highly recommend walking, running, biking, or rollerblading the seawall (stanley park). It’s always a favourite of mine. You can make some pit stops along the way too. My favourite is the Aquarium in the middle of the park.
Hope you guys have a wonderful time!
-Michelle {LiveLoudly}

120 Kristin September 17, 2012

Yay BC! Your in my hood Angela, haha! I wanted to go to Acorn this week, please mention how it is in a post if you go there :). Foundation on main st is also very good, lots of hipsters and not fancy by anymeans, but great vegetarian/vegan food!

121 Jennifer September 18, 2012

I live in Victoria and thought I would send some recommendations… I see most have said the same as me but maybe that will make you think they are even more delicious haha! I definitely recommend Cafe Bliss. So delicious! They have great juices and delicious food! Mole is great as well for breakfast/brunch. Rebar is another great option. My sister cooks there so I love to go get my fill of veg food! Sarah’s Place in Market Square is super cute too! She has a bunch of different things in her store. Lotus Pond is another vegan restaurant that we go to occasionally. It is chinese food and has some delicious faux meat options that I have tricked many a non vegan into loving that place! At lunch they have a buffet that is by weight so it’s a nice time to try a little of everything but seriously it’s delicious! Dallas Road, Ogden Point, and the inner harbor are great places to walk around! For hikes you could try Mt Finlayson it’s a little tricky but not too bad! Mt Doug is a nice easy hike and can actually drive up it and get some nice pictures of the whole city. There… I rambled. Enjoy Victoria!

122 Jennifer September 18, 2012

Angela, for a hike, I vote for the Stawamus Chief, just south of Squamish, over the Grouse Grind. The Chief will be less busy and more of a wilderness experience and the views from the top are jaw dropping spectacular. Don’t let the photos of the ladder and chains or the cliffs scare you off. My personal preference is the Centre Summit (2nd peak). I think the views are a bit better than for the 1st peak. If you have plenty of time you could go on to the 3rd peak, but you won’t really be missing anything if you don’t. You’ll need to pack a lunch. Effort:reward ratio is great! The Grind is okay, but be prepared for a major heart pounding sweat-fest.

123 Kayleigh September 19, 2012

You have to go to Gorilla Food at Richards and Pender! Amaazzinnggg raw food!

124 Christabel September 20, 2012

Those pictures of downtown Vancouver are stunning (as well as the rest of them!) and really capture Vancouver’s beauty. I am so glad I live in Seattle and can visit beautiful Vancouver easily. It’s my favorite city after my home.

125 Sherisse September 20, 2012

If you want an awesome burrito, check out this place: http://bandidastaqueria.com/ They have vegan options (such as daiya cheese) and vegan desserts. I went there for my birthday and got the Stella burrito, delicious!

126 Janine September 20, 2012

So excited to see you have made it to Vancouver and Victoria and I hope your stay is a wonderful, exciting and romantic one.
This thread is chock full of amazing food ideas and yes NAAM is sooooo good.
Some other activity ideas would be:
The Bloedel Conservatory at QE Park, http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/bloedel-conservatory.aspx (Vancouver) gorgeous views
The Museum of Anthropology, http://moa.ubc.ca/ (Vancouver)
Jericho Beach to see the array of wild bunnies (near Kitsilano, Vancouver)
BRACKENDALE EAGLES PROVINCIAL PARK, in Squamish, you can visit the Watershed Grill on the river front and watch the eagles fly around

Have a great time in Whistler and enjoy Ziplining. The air is so pure up there that Lichen actually grows on the trees.

127 Kimberley September 20, 2012

Welcome to Vancouver!

Do the Grouse grind and enjoy the mountain afterwards! Up top they have a cute lumberjack show and Grinder and Coola, the resident grizzly bears, are fun to visit. The gondola ride back down is pretty cool too.

If it’s a hot day when you’re at Lynn Canyon, take a dip in the 30ft pool. It’s mountain run-off water, so it’s like a summer polar bear swim. It feels so good on a really hot day!

Another good hike is the Chief in Squamish, on your way up to Whistler. It’s a lovely mountain hike with breathtaking views at the top, especially if you go all the way to the 3rd peak. http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/stawamus-chief/

I would recommend a stop at the aquarium, too.

Have a wonderful trip!

128 Sharon @ Bit of the Good Stuff September 23, 2012

Happy belated anniversary Angela! That has got to be the most amazing anniversary present ever! Way to go Eric! ;)

129 Heather Boley November 28, 2014

I am so glad that while you were in Vancouver you got to NAAM! One of my fave places to eat… and if you make it next time you have to go to Gorilla Food!! Raw Vegan and super delicious food!!! I’m no longer living in BC, can’t complain, I live in Playa del Carmen, Mexico now. But I do miss the Vegan conveniences of back home dining at times. If you ever take a vacation here you must check out a local little place called La Senda…. You will simply love it!!! Thanks for always posting such interesting blogs! :)

xo