All-Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

homemade pumpkin butter 50721   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

If you’ve been reading this blog for a year or longer, you may know that I’m head over heels for Homemade Pumpkin Butter. Not only is it one of the most popular recipes on the blog, but it’s also a personal favourite. I eagerly make several batches every fall and winter (umm, and apparently during the summer now…). No two batches are ever the same; I love changing it up with different sweeteners and spices depending on my mood. You all seem to love pumpkin butter too – I get so many comments and emails about the recipe!

The original recipe uses canned pumpkin which is great for convenience, but I’ve always wanted to try out the recipe using freshly roasted pumpkin. I just knew it was going to rock my world.

Oh, did it ever.

homemade pumpkin butter 50831   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It! homemade pumpkin butter 50871   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

If you saw my pumpkin roasting tutorial Monday, you may recall this photo of the roasted pumpkin after blending in my Vitamix:

how to make pumpkin puree 50631   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

Well, after that photo I had a lightbulb moment. Why not just throw all of the pumpkin butter ingredients straight into the blender and blend it all up?

It turned out to be a great idea to use the blender – no need to whisk in any ingredients. Plus, the blender got it super smooth and silky. I also reduced the amount of juice so it only took 10 minutes to cook down on the stove top as compared to 35-45 minutes in the original recipe. I certainly wasn’t complaining!

homemade pumpkin butter 5067   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

My Tip:

The best tip I can give you when making pumpkin butter on the stove-top is to cover the pot with a lid and prop it open with a wooden spoon. The mixture splatters everywhere while simmering and you definitely need a lid to cover it while still allowing steam to escape. You can also make it in a slow cooker if that floats your boat.

homemade pumpkin butter 51012   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

Pumpkin Butter From Scratch

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Adapted from Homemade Pumpkin Butter.

Yield: approx. 3.5 cups (varies depending on how long you cook it down)

Ingredients:

• 4 – 4.5 cups fresh pumpkin puree (made from ~3.8 pounds sugar pumpkin)
  • 1/4 cup sweet apple cider or apple juice, more if needed
  • 1 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar, unpacked)
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup, to taste
  • 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp fresh lemon juice (enhances flavour and helps preserve)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt

1. Roast your sugar pumpkins (see this tutorial). Cool for 10 minutes on pan before handling.

2. Add pumpkin flesh (without the skin) in a blender. Add juice and blend until smooth, stopping to push down the pumpkin when necessary. It may take a bit to get it going.

3. Add the Sucanat (or brown sugar), maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Process again until super smooth and no clumps remain.

4. Spoon mixture into a medium-sized pot. Cover with lid and prop lid ajar with a wooden spoon. Over medium-high heat, bring mixture to a low boil. Reduce heat to low-medium and cook for about 10 minutes, or until it’s as thick as you want it. Keep the lid ajar throughout the cooking process – you will find it splatters everywhere so be careful! I like to keep the lid propped up on an angle while I stir the mixture so I don’t get splattered. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

5. Cool completely, stir in lemon juice and a pinch of salt, and then store in a sealed jar in the fridge. Should keep for 2-4 weeks.

homemade pumpkin butter 5077   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

No matter which version you make, one thing is for sure; your house will smell absolutely wonderful throughout the process.

Looking for ways to enjoy pumpkin butter? There are many…

Have I convinced you yet?

Rebecca September 12, 2012

I’m so glad I stumbled upon this post!! I made both your pumpkin and apple butter recipes last year and they were fabulous! I just opened a can of trader joes pumpkin butter but it’s definatly not as good as homemade. I have got to make this one as soon as my garden pumpkins come in!

Katie @ Fun Fearful Female September 12, 2012

YUM!! I’m going to add this to my list of reasons of why I should own a Vitamix!

allison September 13, 2012

i made pumpkin butter last night and i loved it :-) we had it on vegan french toast. I love your site. You have made my transition to vegan do-able and I thank you :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2012

Aw that’s so great to hear!

celina September 13, 2012

My mom and I can’t stop making all of your recipes! Is there any way to make it sugar-free? Maybe use pureed apples instead of apple juice and stevia?

luv what you do September 13, 2012

I love the idea of a natural Pumpkin butter. IT is one of the best foods but always loaded with sugar. I”m looking forward to making this recipe!

Helga September 14, 2012

Just finished making the pumpkin butter this morning. OMG!! It smells wonderful. I’m going to add this to pancakes this morning. Thank you Angela. Love the recipes!!

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans September 14, 2012

This pumpkin butter looks AMAZING! I’m so ready for fall so I have an excuse to spread pumpkin butter over everything!

Bethany Lee September 18, 2012

Oh. My. Gosh. This looks delectable. You are gonna turn this vegetarian-wanna-be-vegan into a vegan for sure!! This is what I’m gonna do with my pumpkin before I bake my pumpkin seeds. :-)

Andrea September 18, 2012

Just made this deliciousness this morning!! Out of this world good! I just had a baby and am excited at how good the puréed sugar pumpkin was all by itself! Baby will love it!! Love your blog!

AmyJ September 23, 2012

OMG, mind = blown Angela….is it normal to totally want to eat the whole batch right out of the pot? Umm, yes, let’s hope so! Thanks for sharing this DEEEEEELISH treat that tastes a beautiful creamy medley of fall + thanksgiving :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2012

Glad you love it Amy!!

Brandina September 30, 2012

Angela, I just finished making this pumpkin butter and OMG it’s delicious! I’ve never even tasted it before until this evening and I also haven’t ever cooked with fresh pumpkin before either….I’ve always used the canned. I can honestly say that I won’t be using canned from now on if I can help it. Not only did two small pumpkins yield 4-5 cups (just like your recipe says it should), every step of the process went perfectly smoothly – because I followed your instructions to the T.

My family is going to totally love receiving a small jar for Thanksgiving (I’m making some for everyone) and I’m also going to link to this post on my blog when I write about the awesome pumpkin butter!

Thank you so much for all of your recipes! <3

Nina October 10, 2012

Love, love, love this! Thank you so kuch for sharing it with us.
It’s spring here in Canberra but I still have garden pumpkins squirrelled away in the pantry.
I cannot wait to put them to good use. :o)

Brandina October 13, 2012

Just wanted to thank you for sharing this recipe. I made it right after it posted and it turned out amazingly delicious! I had never before roasted a pumpkin but I followed your instructions and didn’t run into any issues at all. Now, I’m about to make a huge batch to hand out to family tomorrow at a gathering. <3

Lyndsey @ Sit. Stay. Good blog. October 16, 2012

I tried this recipe over the weekend and oh my goodness – this is incredible. We’ve put it on toast, mixed it into whipped cream and made chocolate pudding-pumpkin parfaits, and mixed it into oatmeal. I think this stuff would go great on just about everything. Thanks!

melinda somogyi October 17, 2012

Iabsolutely love your blog! Where can i find sugar pumpkins in the summer? I noticed you said you have started making pumpkin butter in the summer. Also, are sugar pumpkins any different from the small pumpkins you can find in the fall -through i just bought some to decorate the outside of my apartment.
thank you!
melinda:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2012

Hey Melinda, The sugar pumpkins arrived a bit early this year (late august) – they are also called pie pumpkins or pumpkin pie squash. Be sure not to use the mini pumpkin gourds as you aren’t supposed to eat those. Goodluck!

Jenna October 23, 2012

I make pumpkin apple butter with my Mother every year and give jar out to relatives and friends for the holidays. We usually use canned pumpkin and a whole bag of apples but I will have to try it this way – my mouth is just watering looking at the photos.

Miranda October 27, 2012

Hi! I love your blog. I adapted this recipe and used it on my blog. I did credit and link back to you, I just wanted to let you know!

Blessings!
Miranda

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012

Thank you Miranda, I’ll check it out :)

Sarah October 30, 2012

Did you try it in the slow cooker yet? Would it be a similar process to making apple butter in the slow cooker? Thanks! Love your recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2012

I havent tried it yet but I cant see why it would work!

Andrea November 5, 2012

Angela, is there anything that you could recommend using in place of the apple cider/juice?

Tammy November 9, 2012

Stupid question…but can you can this like any jelly or preserve or apple butter? Would it be good?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2012

Hi Tammy, Sadly, it’s not recommended to preserve pumpkin butter. I linked to the article in my original post if you want to check it out.

Pattie Knudson November 12, 2012

I make pumpkin cheese cakes every year . This year I plan on swirling the pumpkin butter on top before baking. Will let you all know how it compares to the cheese cake that I’m known for. :)

Ann November 18, 2012

Thank you for this. I’m on my third batch. And I’ve learned lots of fun stuff.

1. The little baby pie pumpkins work well too (and easier to come across in my neck of the woods.) You need like 4 of them per batch. And it’s easier to cut those suckers in half, and then remove the stem.

2. Molasses substitute for part of the maple syrup makes it less sweet.

3. Ginger is an awesome addition.

4. The pumpkin smoothies are fantastic, especially if you add some peanut butter to them. It’s become my favorite weekend breakfast (for a non-breakfast person.)

5. You tell people you are making pumpkin butter and they get all jealous and want you to send them some. Be prepared if you are going to talk about it.

And oh, if you’re super pumpkin fan, there’s a recipe for pumpkin gnocchi with apples and sage that is the yum.

Alexandra Powell November 19, 2012

Incredible. I just used this as the filling for cinnamon buns. Seriously amazing!! Have you tried canning it?

Alexandra Powell November 19, 2012

Just saw the message above about canning. Rats.

Jasmine November 20, 2012

This looks amazing! Which do you prefer taste-wise, this pumpkin butter from scratch, or the pumpkin butter using canned pumpkin puree? They both look amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2012

To be honest they are both amazing! You can’t go wrong with either. If I have more time I make it from scratch but the other is good in a pinch.

lisa November 21, 2012

I love this and have made it many times. This batch didn’t produce the glossy finish I usually get. what can I add or do to improve on that?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

Im not sure Lisa, did you make any changes?

Susmitha - Veganosaurus November 22, 2012

Ooooh that looks super rich and creamy. *slurp*

Rachelle November 22, 2012

I made two batches of your pumpkin butter and then the third batch I spread on to trays and dehydrated into pumpkin butter leather! Outstanding! Thankss for the great recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

omg pumpkin butter leather??? Is this for real…I have to try it! How thin did you spread it and for how long and what temp did you dehydrate (sorry for all the questions hah)

Rachelle November 22, 2012

My dehydrater is a very old hand made wooden one with metal tray, no timer, and no temp settings and to turn it on or off you plug or unplug it! LOL! But it works! I cut parchment paper to fit the trays and tried to spread it evenly and ran it over night. It was a bit long cuz the leather cracked and pulled apart but the taste is wonder. I only have pie pumpkins I grew and I pressure cooked them until they were soft scraped the pulp into my kitchen aide blender and then added the rest of the ingredients purreed it up and spread it out. Mine comes out so thick I don’t have to cook it down!

Brenda December 4, 2012

I had to add that I did this with a “cornfield pumpkin” that I grew in my garden. I had to cut it into sections to roast it and it made ~3x’s the amount or so. The puree blended up to about 5-6 cups each time and did this 3 times. I added the recommended amounts of additional ingredients in your recipe and did this in 3 batches essentially. now I have a ton of pumpkin butter (some in the refrigerator, some in the freezer). I did roast the seeds as well and I’m glad to have used the pumpkin. I just wanted to add that you don’t have to use pie or sugar pumpkins. You CAN use the larger carving pumpkins and when everything is pureed anyway, it doesn’t matter if it was stringier than the pie pumpkin. Of course, it was more work to cut it up into pieces and since it was bigger it took longer to process everything. Still tastes excellent, though!

Jakey22 December 22, 2012

Will this spoil if I don’t store it in the refrigerator? I want to send some across county.
Will it be okay?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 24, 2012

It should be fine – I would think since most nut butters are fine at room temp for at least a month.

Angela January 14, 2013

Can this be frozen, or what’s the shelf life I’m having a October wedding and would love to make this for favors need to make them a few months in advance lol.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2013

I’ve heard you can freeze pumpkin butter, but Im not sure for how long it would last. Goodluck!

Genie March 3, 2013

If I want to can pumpkin butter,…. will it can like applebutter? or do I have to use a pressure cooker? which I have never used before. Please I would love an answer from someone who knows and has done this before.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2013

Hi Genie, Pumpkin Butter is not recommended for canning (I think I might have linked to this in the recpe somewhere) All my best, Angela

Lindsey September 20, 2013

I roasted my pumpkin and then blended everything in my vitamin, then decided to “cook” it in my vitamix! I figured if I can make soup in it, I could make pumpkin butter and make less of a mess! It was a success! Thanks Angela for a fun recipe

Susan September 21, 2013

I was hoping to find a recipe to can pumpkin butter, I grew pumpkins and amazingly the smallest one was over 35lbs. So I have pumpkin coming out my ears and we recently took a trip to the Smoky Mts. and found pumpkin butter at several of the roadside stores, and decided it would be a great way to use some of the pumpkin that I have canned, Do you have any ideas on how to make a larger batch so that the butter can be canned and stored over a longer period of time?

Karen September 29, 2013

I made a batch, but since we are empty nesters, I’m going to freeze some of it and hopefully use it when the kids and grand kids show up over the holidays. Thanks for the recipe!

Rachel October 2, 2013

Hmmm, do you think this would freeze well? I’ve become obsessed in the last few weeks with stocking my freezer and while pumpkins are in season I would love to double up (read: triple, quadruple – haha) on some yummy things for my freezer. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2013

I just tried freezing it this weekend and I think it will work just fine. I’ll have to update my post when I know for sure! I think other readers have had success with freezing it (just take a scroll through the comments)

Penny October 3, 2013

I did read through the comments, but I didn’t find an answer to my question. Would this still taste good without the sugar added (apple juice, sucanat, maple syrup and lemon juice)? I am doing a 21 day sugar detox but would love to try this in the slow cooker!

Valerie October 6, 2013

Is it possible to replace the Sucanat with something else? Say.. coconut nectar sugar? Or will it not come out the same? I really want to try this recipe!

Valerie October 6, 2013

coconut palm sugar, rather..

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2013

Hey Valerie, Yes you can sub any dry sugar you prefer :) hope this helps!

Daniela October 7, 2013

Can this be canned?

Pearl October 7, 2013

Great recipe. Can this be canned?

Page 2 of 3«123»