All-Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

homemade pumpkin butter 50721   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

If you’ve been reading this blog for a year or longer, you may know that I’m head over heels for Homemade Pumpkin Butter. Not only is it one of the most popular recipes on the blog, but it’s also a personal favourite. I eagerly make several batches every fall and winter (umm, and apparently during the summer now…). No two batches are ever the same; I love changing it up with different sweeteners and spices depending on my mood. You all seem to love pumpkin butter too – I get so many comments and emails about the recipe!

The original recipe uses canned pumpkin which is great for convenience, but I’ve always wanted to try out the recipe using freshly roasted pumpkin. I just knew it was going to rock my world.

Oh, did it ever.

homemade pumpkin butter 50831   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It! homemade pumpkin butter 50871   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

If you saw my pumpkin roasting tutorial Monday, you may recall this photo of the roasted pumpkin after blending in my Vitamix:

how to make pumpkin puree 50631   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

Well, after that photo I had a lightbulb moment. Why not just throw all of the pumpkin butter ingredients straight into the blender and blend it all up?

It turned out to be a great idea to use the blender – no need to whisk in any ingredients. Plus, the blender got it super smooth and silky. I also reduced the amount of juice so it only took 10 minutes to cook down on the stove top as compared to 35-45 minutes in the original recipe. I certainly wasn’t complaining!

homemade pumpkin butter 5067   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

My Tip:

The best tip I can give you when making pumpkin butter on the stove-top is to cover the pot with a lid and prop it open with a wooden spoon. The mixture splatters everywhere while simmering and you definitely need a lid to cover it while still allowing steam to escape. You can also make it in a slow cooker if that floats your boat.

homemade pumpkin butter 51012   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

Pumpkin Butter From Scratch

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Adapted from Homemade Pumpkin Butter.

Yield: approx. 3.5 cups (varies depending on how long you cook it down)

Ingredients:

• 4 – 4.5 cups fresh pumpkin puree (made from ~3.8 pounds sugar pumpkin)
  • 1/4 cup sweet apple cider or apple juice, more if needed
  • 1 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar, unpacked)
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup, to taste
  • 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp fresh lemon juice (enhances flavour and helps preserve)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt

1. Roast your sugar pumpkins (see this tutorial). Cool for 10 minutes on pan before handling.

2. Add pumpkin flesh (without the skin) in a blender. Add juice and blend until smooth, stopping to push down the pumpkin when necessary. It may take a bit to get it going.

3. Add the Sucanat (or brown sugar), maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Process again until super smooth and no clumps remain.

4. Spoon mixture into a medium-sized pot. Cover with lid and prop lid ajar with a wooden spoon. Over medium-high heat, bring mixture to a low boil. Reduce heat to low-medium and cook for about 10 minutes, or until it’s as thick as you want it. Keep the lid ajar throughout the cooking process – you will find it splatters everywhere so be careful! I like to keep the lid propped up on an angle while I stir the mixture so I don’t get splattered. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

5. Cool completely, stir in lemon juice and a pinch of salt, and then store in a sealed jar in the fridge. Should keep for 2-4 weeks.

homemade pumpkin butter 5077   All Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

No matter which version you make, one thing is for sure; your house will smell absolutely wonderful throughout the process.

Looking for ways to enjoy pumpkin butter? There are many…

Have I convinced you yet?

raechel September 11, 2012

I love the idea of making a seasonal banana soft-serve treat! Oooo, this makes me want to host a dinner party, asap! : )

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 11, 2012

I was JUST thinking I wanted to make my own pumpkin butter after reading an all-too-long ingredient list on a store-bought variety. Can’t wait to try this out!

I’m going to slather this all over my bread the next time I make an egg panini! Errrr… and for something vegan maybe I’ll make a sauce to bake tofu in?

Marissa@ohhhsolovely September 11, 2012

this, along with our cool (ish) weather tonight on the after dinner walk, just totally got me in the mood for fall. can’t wait to try this recipe. i know what you mean when you say that no 2 batches are the same. that’s the fun part!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2012

Our evening walks have been chilly lately too. Tonight not as much but the previous two nights we needed pants and a sweater and we were still chilly.

Janae @ Bring-Joy September 12, 2012

We’re also getting chilly weather, yesterday it really felt not-summerish. Definitely time to pull out the fave soup recipes!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 11, 2012

Ok, this fall is going to be the fall that I make pumpkin butter AND apple butter from scratch! I haven’t done either before but I know exactly where I’ll be getting my directions from (that’s you!!) :) Have a great night lady! :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious September 11, 2012

I love you and your pumpkin puree! I’ve never had pumpkin butter before and I am so excited to give this a try! Using the slow cooker is a great idea – I may have to try that and see how it goes!!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 11, 2012

Oh.my.gosh that looks so heavenly! The smell in your house while this simmers must be just…insanely good! As I type this comment, I have something pumpkin in the oven baking right now. Can’t get enough of it! This looks so creamy and smooth and awesome!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 11, 2012

Great ideas for the pumpkin butter! I love fall recipes :-)

Hey girl – when is your book coming out? I miss your glo bars sooooo much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2012

Thank you Jolene! Should be out early 2014.

Julie September 12, 2012

2014!!!!!!!! :( waaaah so far away

Senator September 11, 2012

Sweetie, you-a speak-a my language! I have an amazing (vegan) pumpkin scone recipe that I do every year and I use pumpkin butter as a glaze, but hated using it from a jar — you’re a saint. Now to just hunt down those sugar pumpkins….

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2012

pumpkin butter is a great idea used as a glaze. I bet that’s fantastic.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 11, 2012

I haven’t made pumpkin butter in eons. You have reminded me that I should have it in abundance right now so that I might cover anything that will hold still with it!

Elizabeth September 11, 2012

I am so glad to see pumpkin recipes popping up here :) It makes me want to wear a cozy, thick-knit scarf. Last year I finally mastered slow-cooker pumpkin butter, and as soon as sugar pumpkins start showing up at the local farms this year I’m going to be in pumpkin butter heaven! I spend all year waiting for pumpkins to pop up on my favorite blogs and at the market. I think this officially marks the beginning of the shift into Fall!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2012

glad the slow cooker works for you – just curious, how long do you cook it for (and what heat setting)?

Zestful Lou September 11, 2012

YES! 3 Pumpkin posts in a row!! I love it!

I was visiting my parents last weekend and found a stash of canned pumpkin in their cupboards. I stole them all and have been enjoying pumpkin everything lately!

Muahahahahaha!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2012

There’s nothing better than raiding your parents cupboards. ;)

Jen @ Passport to Bliss September 11, 2012

Yes, I’m convinced!!!! :) Thank you for some wonderful ideas!

Janae @ Bring-Joy September 12, 2012

Funny, I never thought of actually *making* pumpkin butter before. I came across some at the store & fell in love with it, but not the price (like $5 for a tiny jar). This is a much nicer alternative :)

Sonal September 12, 2012

Oh gosh this pumpkin marathon gets better and better! Hahah I’m LOVING the tutorials. Can’t wait to find some sugar pumpkins and get cracking :) Yummmm!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family September 12, 2012

Angela that pumpkin butter is just beautiful and I love the gloss it has.

I wanted to say that I made your coconut whipped cream and it turned out beautifully (I actually featured and linked back to it in my post today). Mine didn’t come out quite as fluffy, but it was so delicious…way better than any other whipped topping I’ve had before.

Happy Wednesday to you.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2012

Hey Rachel, So glad it worked for you! I will check out your post. :)

Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 12, 2012

YUM! I just absolutely LOVE this time of year, the chilly air, needing a sweater, cool nights of sleeping, apple picking and pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin. Yesterday I spent a good hour thinking up a handful of different pumpkin recipes and I am so excited to start making them all. I will definitely have to add pumpkin butter to that list now :) Thanks!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 12, 2012

Umm yes you’ve definitely convinced me! I still have a jar I bought from a farmer’s market last fall but as soon as I’m done with that I want to try to tackle this!

Jenna September 12, 2012

Pumpkin butter is one of my Fave fall treats. This looks so creamy can’t wait to try it

Ashley September 12, 2012

Hi Angela,

I was wondering if you have the nutrition info for this pumpkin butter recipe?

Thanks!! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2012

Hey Ashley, there are about 23 cals approx per tbsp.
Enjoy!

JT September 12, 2012

My kids and I JUSt finished up the Pumpkin butter we made last year that was in the freezer. They had apple slices with pumpkin butter every morning for the last two weeks for their breakfast fruit….mmmmmmm!! Need to get some pumpkins soon the make more of it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2012

I’m so happy to hear it freezes well.

Jasmin September 12, 2012

Ohhhh my gosh! That looks sooo good! Although I am looking forward to fall, I still haven’t been able to let go of summer yet. Yesterday I bought some Ontario grown strawberries from the grocery store and this morning I made your strawberry shortcake stacked pancakes. To die for!!!! I think next up is your stacked pumpkin butter pancakes. BTW could this pumpkin butter be made using canned pumpkin or should I just stick with the older version if using canned?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2012

Yes for sure – check out the link in the post. It links to my first version using canned pumpkin. It was also fantastic!

Michelle September 12, 2012

Looks great! Any savory recipe ideas to use with the purée? Without the vanilla of course! Always love your ideas and blog!

pumpkin soup? :)

Hardcorner Farm October 9, 2012

Caribbean Pumpkin Bisque
5 cups pureed pumpkin
1 onion (pureed with pumpkin)
1 cup ½ and ½
1 ½ tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp. onion salt
1 tsp curry powder
1/8 to ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you like it)
1 cup water (unless pumpkin has enough water)
Parsley (to taste)

LizforaDay September 12, 2012

I love the fact that you have made a couple of recipes with pumpkin. So many times I purchase ingredients or make a batch of something but run out of different uses, if that makes sense. Thanks! :)

Ileana September 12, 2012

Pumpkin butter latte. I’ve gotta tell my boyfriend’s mom about that one.

Moni Meals September 12, 2012

“Have you convinced us yet?” Heck yes! I think we all want to call in sick today and make this… Especially for the smell alone. :-) I just bought seven cans of pumpkin ( Pba free too!) and Fall is by far my favorite season, and it’s only just beginning. Yay and I can’t wait to try your pumpkin butter!

Beth September 12, 2012

I made this all fall and winter last year. I LOVED it. During my long runs I’d think about coming home to a toasted bagel with homemade pumpkin butter … nothing better! Can’t wait to make it again this year. I just made the Maple-Cinnamon Almond Butter Monday night, so I’ll get through that first.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2012

Now Im craving that nut butter – maybe we can trade some? heh

Cate September 12, 2012

I am so excited to make this for my toddler! He loves almond butter and jelly sandwiches so I am sure he will love this!

Addy @ The Journalist September 12, 2012

You had me convinced at the title – it’s finally fall, and high time for some pumpkin butter! I am looking forward to making this today, thanks for the recipe!

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy September 12, 2012

Thanks for the recipe – I can’t wait to get started on making this!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 12, 2012

This gets me soooo excited for fall. Anything pumpkin is fair game! Great idea to try making my own instead of purchasing the jarred stuff–this looks delicious!

Abby@ Totes Delish Blog September 12, 2012

Just bought canned pumpkin, will be making this ASAP!! :)

Michele Sparrow September 12, 2012

Oh wow. This looks incredible! I absolutely love the smell of pumpkin cooking with all those spices. This is a must make this fall. Thank you for posting!

Andrea September 12, 2012

YAY! More things to use my sugar pumpkins for! If only we could can pumpkin..

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2012

I know! Im bummed they don’t recommend canning it.

allison September 12, 2012

ok i’m making this! i love fall! i made quinoa stuffed acorn squash for supper lastnight and just had it for lunch :-) i love all the in season harvest :-)

Lisa @ the raw serenity September 12, 2012

I can honestly say that there is not ONE day that I go without pumpkin.
My all time fav veg!
I’m sad to say that in Australia we don’t have sugar pumpkin :( but kent pumpkin is very sweet so perhaps I’ll use that.
Thanks for sharing the love!

ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli September 12, 2012

I’m so new to this pumpkin thing. Last year the only thing I had was pumpkin pie, but so far this year I’ve had pumpkin VOO and pumpkin smoothies. We use the Canadian Food Guide for a few things to reference and one thing it recommends is that we get one dark green vegetable a day and one orange vegetable a day. Between your Green Monsters and all your pumpkin recipes, I think you’ve got me covered lol!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2012

I know what you mean – before I started reading blogs I NEVER ate pumpkin. Then I got hooked and it was all over.

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings September 12, 2012

You didn’t even have to convince me of anything once I saw the title and pictures! I love Pumpkin and making Pumpkin Butter sounds divine. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I love all your food.

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen September 12, 2012

I’m so glad to see I’m not the only one who is a wee bit pumpkin obsessed!!! ;)

Catherine September 12, 2012

I was salivating while reading this. i have never heard heard of pumkin butter (i’ve only been following your blog for a month and a half) but it sounds insanely good! i love that you include ways to use it because that is suuuper helpful! thank you!!

Amy September 12, 2012

I love your old recipes and I come to your blog often for meal inspiration, but I have to say the last year has been SO disappointing- posts have gone down to 3x a week instead of 5, and they are things like peanut butter protein with jam, pumpkin pie smoothies (everyone has posted a million of these) and redos of your old recipes (todays “new” pumpkin butter). I’m sorry to sound negative but I really feel like if you can’t keep up with your blog while trying to write a cookbook then you should just leave it for a few months. I really think you are very talented and love your old recipes which is why I religiously check your blog, but it’s so disappointing and quite frankly it makes me sad now. I hope you take this to heart and realize I’m coming from a friendly place. I wouldn’t be so nice to other bloggers but I really love your blog and how you put your personality into it- I feel like I “know you” a little bit which is not the norm with a lot of the HLB’s I read. Good luck with the book, Angela

LeAnn November 20, 2012

Just made the pumpkin butter…. I had never heard of it before but had a recipe that called for it (couldnt find it in any of our stores) so I googled it and found you :) It was super easy to make and taste great. I’m making pumpkin cheesecakes brownies (fattening I know)…. thanks for the awesome recipe!

sally October 28, 2014