All-Natural Pumpkin Butter From Scratch + Many Ways To Use It!

homemade pumpkin butter-5072

If you’ve been reading this blog for a year or longer, you may know that I’m head over heels for Homemade Pumpkin Butter. Not only is it one of the most popular recipes on the blog, but it’s also a personal favourite. I eagerly make several batches every fall and winter (umm, and apparently during the summer now…). No two batches are ever the same; I love changing it up with different sweeteners and spices depending on my mood. You all seem to love pumpkin butter too – I get so many comments and emails about the recipe!

The original recipe uses canned pumpkin which is great for convenience, but I’ve always wanted to try out the recipe using freshly roasted pumpkin. I just knew it was going to rock my world.

Oh, did it ever.

homemade pumpkin butter-5083 homemade pumpkin butter-5087

If you saw my pumpkin roasting tutorial Monday, you may recall this photo of the roasted pumpkin after blending in my Vitamix:

how to make pumpkin puree-5063

Well, after that photo I had a lightbulb moment. Why not just throw all of the pumpkin butter ingredients straight into the blender and blend it all up?

It turned out to be a great idea to use the blender – no need to whisk in any ingredients. Plus, the blender got it super smooth and silky. I also reduced the amount of juice so it only took 10 minutes to cook down on the stove top as compared to 35-45 minutes in the original recipe. I certainly wasn’t complaining!

homemade pumpkin butter-5067

My Tip:

The best tip I can give you when making pumpkin butter on the stove-top is to cover the pot with a lid and prop it open with a wooden spoon. The mixture splatters everywhere while simmering and you definitely need a lid to cover it while still allowing steam to escape. You can also make it in a slow cooker if that floats your boat.

homemade pumpkin butter-5101

Pumpkin Butter From Scratch

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Adapted from Homemade Pumpkin Butter.

Yield: approx. 3.5 cups (varies depending on how long you cook it down)

Ingredients:

• 4 – 4.5 cups fresh pumpkin puree (made from ~3.8 pounds sugar pumpkin)
  • 1/4 cup sweet apple cider or apple juice, more if needed
  • 1 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar, unpacked)
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup, to taste
  • 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp fresh lemon juice (enhances flavour and helps preserve)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt

1. Roast your sugar pumpkins (see this tutorial). Cool for 10 minutes on pan before handling.

2. Add pumpkin flesh (without the skin) in a blender. Add juice and blend until smooth, stopping to push down the pumpkin when necessary. It may take a bit to get it going.

3. Add the Sucanat (or brown sugar), maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Process again until super smooth and no clumps remain.

4. Spoon mixture into a medium-sized pot. Cover with lid and prop lid ajar with a wooden spoon. Over medium-high heat, bring mixture to a low boil. Reduce heat to low-medium and cook for about 10 minutes, or until it’s as thick as you want it. Keep the lid ajar throughout the cooking process – you will find it splatters everywhere so be careful! I like to keep the lid propped up on an angle while I stir the mixture so I don’t get splattered. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

5. Cool completely, stir in lemon juice and a pinch of salt, and then store in a sealed jar in the fridge. Should keep for 2-4 weeks.

homemade pumpkin butter-5077

No matter which version you make, one thing is for sure; your house will smell absolutely wonderful throughout the process.

Looking for ways to enjoy pumpkin butter? There are many…

Have I convinced you yet?

Page 3 of 3«123
Jes March 20, 2017

Hi There,

My apologies for asking a question on an older post, but I only just came across it. This was linked on a post by Minimalist Baker.

In Australia we don’t stock sugar pumpkins. Can you recommend some alternatives? Currently, our supermarkets stock: butternut, kent, and jarrahdale (grey skin) pumpkins. Will any of these work?

Thanks :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 21, 2017

Hey Jes, I’m not familiar with Kent or Jarrahdale, but I think butternut would be lovely!

Eva @costumetakeout November 17, 2016

minimalist baker recommended your pumpkin pie butter for her pumpkin cinnamon rolls, and i took her up on that suggestion….i made a smaller amount of your recipe—it was delish!…i’m going to make another batch of it to put in my coffee or on oatmeal—or just eat it with a spoon!

Angela Liddon November 22, 2016

Oh, I’m so happy you enjoyed it! :)

Katherine October 7, 2016

When I saw pie pumpkins in the store after years of looking for them i knew what I had to do.
So good.

Ms. BBG December 7, 2015

I love this! I substituted the maple syrup with honey and a bit of agave. My son is gobbling it up on everything. Toast, ice cream, as a apple dip, by itself. I will be making this again.

Melissa November 23, 2015

It’s awesome, and the best part is the 2 minutes hands-on time if you have puree already!
Thanks, Angela

Deliah November 12, 2015

Wonderful, just wonderful. I tried with honey in place of syrup, turned out great. Smells like Heavon. Thank you!

Rhonda November 10, 2015

can you “can ” this butter? it would be great to give as christmas gifts!

Lee Ann October 10, 2015

I’m so happy to see a recipe with Sucanat!

alison September 10, 2015

Hi Angela,
Love all of the recipes you have with sugar pumpkins. I have many ready for baking growing in my backyard. I was wondering have you tried preserving the pumpkin butter? It would be nice to give out as Christmas gifts. I am just starting to get into making homemade jams from our fig tree and pressure sealed the jam under boiling water / 7 min. Would the same process work for this?

KiNi14 June 7, 2015

I am in the process of making this. I steamed my pumpkin instead of roasting it. But the problem is… I keep eating it straight out of the pot! I don’t know if there will be any left by the time it’s supposed to be ready.

judy hand November 17, 2014

I’m wondering if I could canned: this pumpkin butter recipe? Thank you

Pauline November 12, 2014

Can I can this? I’d love to process a bunch of it and give it away as Christmas gifts! Thank you!

Peggy November 9, 2014

Have you ever made or thought of creating recipes without toxic sugar?

Guess I should have added that I’m on a health restricted diet and can’t have any starches, sugar, artificial sweeteners, grains, etc… I’m always on the lookout for great tasting recipes since I have to make everything I eat. No processed foods. I also like to grow my own produce if at all possible, because then I know it’s free of pesticides and the like.

Monique November 8, 2014

I just made this today for my teenage daughter who loves all things pumpkin. I made it in the slow cooker. One hour on high with the lid on so everything heats up and then another hour on high with a chopstick propped under the lid so it could reduce. I stirred it 2-3 times in the second hour. Seems to work.

Conbon November 6, 2014

I just made this today. Didn’t change a thing, followed your directions to a T. WOW! The best pumpkin butter I have ever tasted, and it’s not full of sugar. Yummmm. Thank you :)

Teri November 6, 2014

could you make pumpkin butter out of canned pumpkin? tyvm

Jordan October 22, 2014

Fantastic recipe! Made this a few weeks ago and loved it! Making more tomorrow! I’ve never made anything using pumpkin before (other than the seeds). So good!

Pamela October 21, 2014

I really like your blog. Have stopped by many times for tid bits. Which have always been great and i thank you for you time and dedication. As far as the reply dissing you about only blogging 3 times a week imstead of 5. Seriously! Wow I am also doing a cook book/home health/cleaning book just for my family so old family recipes amd remedys don’t get lost. Well let me say you are AMAZING!!!! I know how challenging it is and you still manage to blog 3 times a week. Gosh you could have closed her down completely until you completed your cook book. Some people….. I said it before you are amazing and if you didn’t truly care about your followers it could have played out very different. So THANK YOU!!!!
Also one thing you didn’t mention in all things heavenly and oh so tempting with pumpkins…. one of my personal favorites —

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 21, 2014

Thank you Pamela, I greatly appreciate your kind words. Good luck with your own book! Im sure it will be great.

Dee October 10, 2014

Made this pumpkin butter today with Poe pumpkins. First time for me to roast a pumpkin and then make this. I used coconut sugar instead of brown sugar and homemade pumpkin pie spice. Cooked it with the rest of ingredients in my mini crockpot. Can this be frozen? I don’t think I would use all of this in 4 months let alone weeks. Thanks

Sarah September 29, 2014

What kind of muffins/bread do you think this would go well with? Thanks

Comet September 13, 2014

I am pretty sure I have pumpkin butter recipes that CAN be CANNED–mine I think call for PECTIN but I am not sure if this is needed for canning or just for thickening. For ANY canning info either call BALL Canning Jars–I think they have an 800 number—or call your County Extension Office.

IT might take a long process time to get the thick butter up to the proper temp throughout. But you can probably also look this up on-line; my recipes are older but I am sure the basic ingredients etc have not changed.

If you decide to go with a pectin recipe stock up NOW as this is hard to find other times of the year. It does keep.

We like ours on pumpkin muffins and with cream cheese and on crackers and over vanilla or other ice cream and –well–pretty much on anything!

Caitlin September 10, 2014

Apple butter was my favourite when I was a kid, but I haven’t had pumpkin butter! It sounds like an ideal fall treat!

Sarah August 18, 2014

Can this recipe be canned?

Jennwith2ns August 7, 2014

Can you can this stuff? Any tips on how?

Brendan November 12, 2013

Pumpkin cocktails!!

Brandi November 11, 2013

If I want to can the pumpkin butter to preserve do I follow the basic canning process of boiling empty cans, adding pumpkin butter, then boiling filled cans to vacuum seal?

NurseMarta November 7, 2013

Having made a different recipe of pumpkin butter in the past, I must say this one was spot on. The right amount of sweetness and the perfect texture. Thanks for sharing!!!!

organic box October 25, 2013

Pumpkin butter sounds so good! I have never made it before, but i can already imagine everything I would put it on!

kim October 23, 2013

Made this today and it turned out beautifully. Thank you.

liz October 19, 2013

i have a dilemma i am trying to pick out a pumpkin butter to make and i cant chose between Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Butter or the All-Natural Pumpkin Butter- From Scratch. can you tell me which one tastes the best and also i only have 2 1/2 cups of pumpkin puree left can you help with the pumpkin butter measurements for the best tasting recipe. thanks

angie October 12, 2013

Where’s the butter in the pumpkin butter?

Tasha October 8, 2013

If I wanted to can this (mason jars), would I need to add anything for it to be shelf stable for a while?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2013

Hey Tasha, See my link at the bottom of the recipe – pumpkin butter isn’t recommended for canning. I do find it lasts for up to 3-4 wks in the fridge though.