10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

Untitled 7   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

It’s time to face the cold hard truth: tomato season won’t be here for much longer. That is, unless my freezer has anything to say about it! Out of all the summer vegetables (or is it fruit?), I think tomatoes are the ones I mourn the most when the season is over. There’s nothing worse than a flavourless winter tomato with it’s pale flesh and icy, dry appearance.

In the meantime, I’m trying to convince Eric it’s a good idea to buy the fifty-some-odd-pound bushel of tomatoes I saw at the market last week. He just can’t see the vision yet. I have visions of pasta sauces, pesto, salsa, and tomato jam dancing in my head…

To celebrate the tomato, I’ve compiled a list of my 10 favourite recipes to date.

Get ‘em while you can!

1. Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

This pesto is bursting with seasonal flavours and nutrients. It’s also quite low in oil thanks to the roasted tomatoes adding body and flavour. I left the almonds chopped and it adds a nice texture that is great mixed into pasta or spread on a toasted sandwich.

IMG 1465 thumb   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

IMG 1424 thumb   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

2. Easy Tomato Basil Cream Pasta

Creamy, flavourful, and downright irresistible…no one will be able to tell there isn’t any cream in this pasta!

IMG 5643   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

3. Vegan Tortilla Soup

A wonderful soup to transition from end of summer into Fall. It packs a bounty of summer flavours, with a warming comfort for those cooler summer evenings. We added a handful of vegan cheese, chopped avocado, tortilla strips, and green onion on top to really round out this hearty and filling dish.

IMG 1315   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

4. Gazpacho

Still too hot for soup? Try my favourite Gazpacho. After testing a few versions, this one is hands down my favourite.

IMG 5969 4   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

5. Basil Scalloped Tomatoes and Croutons

One of my favourite casseroles. Fresh basil and in season tomatoes are key here. One thing I love about this recipe is the short ingredient list…it was so easy!

IMG 4077   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

IMG 4074   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

6. Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta

This hearty pasta sauce is so healthy it hurts. Walnuts, spinach, tomatoes, garlic, basil, oh my!

IMG 1059   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

7. Sundried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

Like nachos, only better. Satisfy your every chip craving with these cheezy and crispy kale chips!

IMG 9742   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

8. Creamy Roasted Tomato Garlic Coconut Soup

This tomato soup is anything but traditional, boring, or bland and it’s definitely one of the best homemade soups I’ve made to date. The light coconut milk is a great way to add a luxurious creaminess, pairing well with the heat from the garam masala and adding a nice contrast to the rustic quality of the roasted vegetables. See why it’s received so many rave reviews.

IMG 2210 2 thumb   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

9. Easy Roasted Tomato Pizza with Cashew Cheeze

Easy as tortilla pie! This pizza features irresistible roasted tomatoes and a creamy basil cashew cheeze sauce.

Tortilla Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheese 3638   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

10. Lightened Up Sundried Tomato Basil Pasta

This lightened up pesto has just a few tablespoons of olive oil, but I promise you won’t know the difference . The sundried tomatoes, walnuts, and basil create an extremely flavourful pesto that goes wonderfully with pasta, sandwiches or wraps, or mixed into some grilled vegetables. Can’t have nuts? Just leave them out. The addition was more of an afterthought than a main ingredient.

IMG 9901   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks OffIMG 9883   10 Tomato Recipes To Knock Your Socks Off

September Challenge

I’m doing another challenge for the month of September – Operation Hydrate! I’m not always mindful of drinking enough water and so far this challenge is keeping me on track.

- Drink 2 glasses of water upon rising before any other fluids or food.

- Drink 6 glasses of water throughout the rest of the day.

These amounts are not set in stone – it really depends on how much exercise I do and what my needs are on that day. Really, I’m just being mindful of my water intake and making sure I start the day off with lots of water. I never thought I’d say this, but it’s actually energizing! Feel free to join me in this challenge, keeping in mind your water needs will vary. You can also do the lemon with warm water thing if you like too, but I’ve just been drinking filtered H2o.

And if you’d like to read about my August challenge results – see my page for the recap. It looks like September is also going to be a fear-conquering month with the promise of zip lining, suspension bridge dangling, and cliff walking.

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy September 6, 2012

I’m so sad tomato season is ending :(

RC @Just Add Cayenne September 6, 2012

Man, I’m not even wearing socks but a pair just got knocked off my shelf! Can’t wait to try tomato coconut soup and gazpacho, thanks for sharing!

Rebecca September 6, 2012

Angela I love your blog! It has inspired me to create my own! I have made so many of your recipes, including these tomato ones, and they all turned out delicious! During the winter I use dehydrated tomato slices to make pestos and to add to pizza. All you have to do is soak them in some water to liven them up again.

Joann @ Woman in Real Life September 6, 2012

Everything looks so incredibly delicious. I want it all! Mouthwatering photos.

Alex September 6, 2012

I made the Creamy Roasted Tomato Garlic Coconut Soup last night – it took forever but it was worth it. The soup is amazing. Thanks for posting it!

Marga September 6, 2012

Saw that you’ll be addressing rehydration this month…NOTHING better (or better for you) than chia!! Long distance runners have been using them forever!! Spread the word! So versatile and oh, the chocolate peanut butter pudding…YUM!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2012

That is so true! bring on the chia water!

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife September 6, 2012

All of these recipes look amazing! Can’t wait to figure out which one to make first!!

& I will definitely be joining you with the hydration challenge! I’ve been slacking with my water drinking!!

allison September 6, 2012

i made the tomato walnut sauce last night but left the walnuts out as my daughter has a nut allergy. instead i pureed a can of white kidney beans and added it to the sauce. It was delicious :-)

Allie September 6, 2012

Ohh, I’ve been bummed about all the garden tomatoes I’ve been letting go to waste–NO LONGER. I want to make all of these and squeeze the last out of my tomato plants :)

brianna September 6, 2012

These all sound so good. I’m trying to be more aware of my water intake too. I’m terrible about staying hydrated.

Emily C. September 6, 2012

Angela,
I have been a reader of yours for a number of months now, but have never written before. I first found you when I was looking for vegan and gluten free cooking. Dairy and eggs bother me and my husband has some eating difficulties too. Anyway, everything I tried was delicious and I was hooked. Now my friend and mother-in-law both read you too. I missed your August challenge, however, and just read it through today. It was so helpful to me to hear that you and others get anxious just like I do. Anxiety is my biggest daily struggle, I see a therapist also, and it was just so encouraging to read. I want to thank you for your wonderful blog and I look forward to reading more!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2012

Hey Emily! Thank you so much for your comment. Im so happy to hear that you are enjoying the blog & the challenge too!

luv what you do September 6, 2012

Bring on the soup season! I am saving these recipes for the fall and can’t wait to make my way through the list. Great idea to put everything together in one place!

Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset September 7, 2012

Oh my goodness- too many fabulous recipes to choose from! I would love to try them all out! :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner September 7, 2012

You have just given me a severe craving for tomatoes. Hehe. ;)

Susan September 13, 2012

Made the roasted tomato basil pesto last night for dinner, using basil from our garden! It was wonderful, and a new addition to the weekly rotation! I used mini quinoa shells for the pasta, and added fresh buffalo mozzerella to please my cheese loving husband! It was a great midweek treat!

Finished the night with salt and vinegar chick peas as a tv snack!

Thanks for your wonderful recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2012

So glad to hear that Susan!

Susan September 17, 2012

Hi Angela! I have a special request – wondering if you have or could share a recipe for homemade tomato sauce. I have a bountiful harvest of ripe tomatoes and would love to make and freeze some tomato sauce and pizza sauce. I like your roasted sauce but am looking for a cleaner flavor. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Martin April 10, 2014

I find it rediculous for you to so boldly state that nothing is worse than a flavourless winter tomato. Sure winter tomatos are not as flavorful as their summer counterparts, but to imply that they are worse than the Holocaust, AIDS, rape, world hunger, etc etc is just not correct.

Page 2 of 2«12