Coconut Whipped Cream: A Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial

coconut whipped cream 4406   Coconut Whipped Cream: A Step By Step Photo Tutorial

Did you know you can make a decadent whipped cream by using a can of coconut milk? Not only is it simple to make, but it’s easily the best-tasting whipped cream I’ve tried.

I know whipped coconut cream isn’t new to many of you – people have been making coconut whipped cream for years and years. I first read about it a couple years ago on Vegan Joy’s website and have seen it popping up everywhere.

coconut whipped cream 4108   Coconut Whipped Cream: A Step By Step Photo Tutorial

In today’s post, I’ll show you just how easy it is to make. I can promise you, your life will change when you taste this stuff!

1. Grab a can of full-fat can coconut milk (without guar gum listed as an ingredient) – Update: Native Forest now puts guar gum in the ingredients and this causes the cream and water to emulsify which is not what we want. The can must also be full-fat because you will be whipping the solid cream. Do not use light coconut milk because it won’t turn out. In summary – look for a full-fat can of coconut milk that does not have guar gum listed on the ingredient list. Cool?

Many of you have had trouble making whipped coconut cream with certain brands because some cans don’t always separate. A reader let me know that Thai Kitchen has changed their formula so that it doesn’t separate anymore. Apparently they are coming out with small cans of pure coconut cream instead. Be on the look out! I used Native Forest with decent result, although I have had some duds before.

coconut whipped cream 4086   Coconut Whipped Cream: A Step By Step Photo Tutorial

2. Place can in the fridge overnight. This is another crucial step. You need to chill the coconut cream until it’s very firm. I once tried to make whipped coconut cream without chilling the can – big mistake! It was a watery mess. I like to keep at least a couple cans in the back of my fridge just in case I need a quick whipped cream for a recipe. Then you always have it on hand and don’t have to wait overnight to use it. A few extra cans of chilled coconut milk never hurt anyone.

Just before you make your whipped cream, place a mixing bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes or so. This helps keep everything cold and will be especially helpful for those of you in very warm climates.You can also put the beaters in the freezer too, but it’s not necessary.

3. Remove the chilled can from fridge and FLIP it upside down.

coconut whipped cream 4563   Coconut Whipped Cream: A Step By Step Photo Tutorial

Why flip it upside down?

The liquid coconut milk (the part that doesn’t harden) will now be at the top of the can!

4. Open the can. See the liquid at the top? You won’t be whipping this part.

coconut whipped cream 4564   Coconut Whipped Cream: A Step By Step Photo Tutorial

5. Pour the coconut liquid into another bowl. You should have just under 1 cup of liquid, but this yield will vary a bit by brand and even by can.

coconut whipped cream 4566   Coconut Whipped Cream: A Step By Step Photo Tutorial

Don’t throw it away – I like to use it in smoothies along with mango, kale, banana, and chia for a fun tropical smoothie. You can also use it in baking and cooking.

As you can see below, you are left with only the hardened coconut cream! Come to mama!! This is exactly what we want to use to make our coconut whipped cream.

coconut whipped cream 4568   Coconut Whipped Cream: A Step By Step Photo Tutorial

6. Scoop the coconut cream into your chilled bowl. (I don’t recommend using a shallow bowl like this one – I only used it for photo purposes so you could see it better!)

coconut whipped cream 4570   Coconut Whipped Cream: A Step By Step Photo Tutorial

As you can see, you get a lot of hardened cream to work with!

coconut whipped cream 4392   Coconut Whipped Cream: A Step By Step Photo Tutorial

7. Whip the cream. Grab a hand mixer (alternatively, you can do this in a stand mixer – just chill the bowl first) and whip the cream until fluffy. It’s really too much fun.

coconut whipped cream   Coconut Whipped Cream: A Step By Step Photo Tutorial

There may be a strong urge to shove your face in the bowl.

8. Add in a touch of sweetener and vanilla extract and whip it again.

You can use regular cane sugar, confectioner’s sugar, or even a touch of maple syrup. I find 2-3 teaspoons usually does the trick for my taste buds. I also like to add about 1/4-1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract or a vanilla bean. The vanilla really takes it over the edge – I don’t suggest skipping it!

The first time I made this I could not get over how amaaaaazing it tastes. Eric even said he wouldn’t be able to tell that it wasn’t made from dairy. Two big thumbs up from us!

How to use:

You can use this whipped cream just like regular dairy whipped cream. I like to use it in desserts & frostings, it’s amazing over a simple bowl of fruit or pancakes, and sometimes I add a dollop on my vegan overnight oats for an extra creamy bowl. You can even spoon a bit on top of a pie or fruit crisp or stir some into a bowl of banana soft serve. The options are really endless! Have fun making different kinds of flavours and fooling your friends and family.

If making a whipped frosting, I suggest storing the decorated cake/cupcakes in the fridge until ready to serve.

Storing:

Have leftovers? You can easily store it in the fridge for at least 1.5 weeks (probably longer) in a sealed container. It will firm up a bit more in the fridge. Simply scoop it into a bowl and re-whip it when you need it.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do! For those of you who’ve been making it for a while now, what’s your favourite way to prepare/enjoy it?

Laura @ My Pink Thumb August 30, 2012

I just added coconut milk to my grocery list for this week! ;)

andrea August 30, 2012

Just added it to my shopping list. ;) I’ve never been a huge fan of regular whipped cream. But I love coconut and my husband loves desserts and I think I’ll hunt up a tasty recipe to pair it with.

Glory Gray August 30, 2012

Thank you for giving us this step by step! Did not know about chilling the can. Makes total sense, since we used to do that with dairy cream.
Also, love the new look of the site!

A Lep August 30, 2012

This looks so yummy can not wait to have my kids try. Thanks for all the great posts.

Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset August 30, 2012

This is insane! You have somehow triumphed your already genius self.

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) August 30, 2012

I have been meaning to make coconut whipped cream for ages, I’m not sure why it has taken me so long!?!?!

Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy August 30, 2012

Yes! Finally! Dairy free whipped cream that does not contain seven hundred chemicals that I cannot pronounce!! Thank you!!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies August 30, 2012

I have been absolutely obsessed with making whipped coconut cream for some time now. Everyone that I make it for cannot believe it isn’t dairy! And of course, look at you with the brilliant idea, I never thought to flip the can upside down. So smart. Thanks for the wonderful tip.

allison August 30, 2012

i was just thinking of thanksgiving and making a vegan pumpkin pie but what will i do about the whipped cream? yayyyyyyaaaaa

Marya August 30, 2012

You’re giving me an idea: 70% dark chocolate silken tofu pudding, with this guy on top. And some fresh stawberries. Yum.

Lisa @ The Raw Serenity August 30, 2012

This looks amazing!
I can see myself licking the bowl ;)

emmycooks August 30, 2012

This is revolutionary! I can’t wait to try it over a vegan crumble. I can’t believe I’ve never seen this before, it seems so important. :)

JoLynn-dreaminitvegan August 30, 2012

Nice step by step directions. My son LOVES whipped coconut. I first saw the recipe in a magazine years ago. yummy!

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 30, 2012

My friend Marla did a post on making whipped coconut cream and every time I see her pics, and now yours, I NEED to whip some up of my own. All that PUFFYNESS in that bowl, amazing, Angela…do you need help licking the beaters? :)

kim@hungryhealthygirl August 30, 2012

I love this post so much! Thanks for the tutorial….coconut milk just went on the weekly grocery list.

Moni Meals August 30, 2012

Great Ang! I did this once but you make it seem effortless. ;) I want some right now as a matter of fact!

Simone August 30, 2012

I bet it would taste amazing on top of a nice bowl of banana buckwheat hot cereal… going to try it for breakfast tomorrow morning, thanks so much!

debbysunshine@veganamericanprincess August 30, 2012

Who would have thought to make coconut milk whipped cream? I LOVE IT!!! So easy! Thanks!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 30, 2012

I’ve been waiting for this ever since you told me about it last weekend!!! (And I’ve had pavlova on the brain too… we MUST try to come up with a vegan pavlova!!) Time for me to buy some coconut milk…. this sounds heavenly!

Erin August 30, 2012

I have easy access to fresh coconut milk so I have been making this for awhile now, straight from the coconuts at the market. I don’t have a hand mixer so I’ve been using my blender which has worked well. The last time I made it, however, I think I overdid the blending, and the stiffness totally collapsed on me and it became a runny, globby mess. So learn from my mistake, people, and don’t overdo it!

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts August 30, 2012

This is a really helpful tutorial. I bought coconut milk a while back to make cream from but never got around to doing it because I was scared it wouldn’t work! (Great stance, I know ;) ) I’ll move it to the fridge and get myself organised.

Megan@eatmybeets August 30, 2012

What an awesome alternative to whipped cream. I really have to try this sometime.

andi August 31, 2012

For some reason I find it more difficult to open the bottom of a can…my can opener is rather ancient…storing the can upside down means you can turn it rightside up to open it :)

tanja August 31, 2012

Have you ever tried using coconut cream? I’ve bought a can and haven’t used it yet and was wondering if it would work.
(I think it’s different than cream of coconut that someone mentioned above)

Keri February 4, 2013

I tried coconut cream from Trader Joe’s this weekend and it was grainy. I haven’t tried it with the coconut milk to compare, but no one else has mentioned it being grainy.

Sonal August 31, 2012

This looks sooo AMAZING I had no idea we could make whipped cream out of coconut milk! Must try it next time I need whipped cream! Thank you Angela! :)

Sara Lake August 31, 2012

I like it with either maple syrup or melted honey.I tried melted chocolate once, but the chocolate went hard – kind of nice, but not the effect I was after. I think chocolate mixed with maple syrup might do it. So . very . decadent.

KC August 31, 2012

Hey Angela! Do you think buying and using coconut cream instead of coconut milk would work instead, even better, since it’s kind of closer to what your end product is?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2012

I havent seen coconut cream before, but Im sure it could work. Where do you buy it?

Alex August 31, 2012

OH. You have just answered my dairy-free cream prayers. I’m making a batch of this at the weekend!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 31, 2012

I love my whip cream like this! Yummy!!!

Lynne Knowlton August 31, 2012

I want to jump right in that bowl, it looks so beautifully delicious. Thank you for the fantastic idea! Drooling…drooling…
Lynne xx

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning August 31, 2012

What a great photo tutorial!!
I am one of those people that fears buying the full-fat coconut milk. It’s not that I fear fat- I just .. I don’t know- it’s SO fatty. But if you say it’s worth it, I’m going to have to trust you…

Bees August 31, 2012

This looks so amazing!

Along the same lines of the all-powerful properties of coconuts (don’t know if you know this..), coconut oil is the key ingredient in making chocolate magic shell topping for frozen things.. between that and this whipped cream, it may be a sundae kind of a weekend! :-)

Sophie August 31, 2012

Thanks so much for the step-by-step guide! Well-done too! :)
I so have to make this soon! Yum Yum Yum! :)

sarah@thesweetlife August 31, 2012

This is the best tutorial on coconut whipped cream I’ve ever seen. I may need to send people over to your blog whenever I’m making a recipe that used whipped cream.

katty lea August 31, 2012

uhm. LOVE IT. that sounds delicious — can’t wait to try it.

Lisa August 31, 2012

Great idea! New to me.

Ama August 31, 2012

Angela!!! I’ve been reading your site forever but this is my first comment because you will never believe what the Trader Joe’s near me (St. Louis) just started carrying: cans of coconut cream! Like just the solid good stuff! Hurrah! Hopefully coming to a Trader Joe’s near you! Be on the lookout.

Also, I just started making lovely parfaits with my own dairy-free whipped cream concoction I thought I would share: soaked cashews, just enough water to cover, vanilla, a date or other sweetener, and then the best part is a drizzle of coconut oil as it’s blending to make it creamy and firm! Then after it is chilled it is a lovely texture. And super light tasting for being made of nuts. Gotta love that coconut oil! It’s a must-try, especially with juicy black plums and homemade glonola on top!!! But your coconut whipped cream is what I’m trying next, with the can of Trader Joe’s coconut cream I scored last night!

Also, when I worked at Starbucks (and wasn’t dairy-free), I learned a trick from some of the old-timers: adding a little bit of almond extract (in our case, syrup) to the vanilla in the whipped cream and it makes French vanilla! It’s divine. We broke SBUX law a few times and served it to our favorite customers with our modified recipe. They loved it too! We also had fun making chocolate whipped cream by adding the chocolate sauce, chocolate mint, and my favorite, chocolate raspberry. I ate it out of a bowl like it was mousse.

I might try a few of these again now that I’ve rediscovered vegan whipped cream! Thanks for the coconut love and very helpful tips!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2012

Hey Ama, Thanks for your comment! That’s funny you mentioned almond extract – I JUST tried a version with vanilla and almond extract last night. It was killer! Thanks for sharing your tips. We don’t have TJ’s here in Canada, but hopefully they will trickle our way soon.

carol August 31, 2012

This is so clever! Can’t wait to try this.

Lauren @ Gourmet Veggie Mama August 31, 2012

Brilliant! I will definitely have to try this out soon — looks delicious.

Emily August 31, 2012

Huh, good to know! So simple..Thanks.

Page 2 of 7«12345»...Last »