Fruit-On-The-Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

IMG 2860   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

Between adding peanut butter in smoothies, spreading it on veggies and apples, and of course, baking with it, I can go through a lot of peanut butter in a month. Oh, and I like to eat it with a spoon sometimes too! I recently started to make my own peanut butter to save a bit of money. When you buy your own peanuts and make it at home, it works out to being a bit less costly than store-bought. Plus, it takes less than 10 minutes to whip up. I also enjoy making my own almond butter too. For my other nut butter recipes, see my nut butter category.

How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

IMG 2883   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

I bought a huge bag of roasted non-salted peanuts at the grocery store recently. I got 8 cups at about 75 cents per cup. I’m sure you can find even cheaper nuts at bulk food stores or even online.

To make homemade peanut butter, add 2 cups of roasted peanuts into a food processor. When making nut butter, you’ll need a heavy duty food processor. The smaller ones just don’t seem to work from what I’ve heard. Peanut butter is one of my favourite nut butters to make because it’s cheap and it blends up very fast!

Here it is after 1 minute of processing – it’s already coming together!

IMG 2885   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

IMG 2888   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

I added in 1/8th teaspoon fine grain sea salt and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. At the 7 minute stage, you can stop, but I like to go a couple extra minutes because it gets super smooth!

IMG 2890   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

Also, feel free to make it chunky by adding more peanuts and pulsing.

Homemade Peanut Butter (makes 1 cup):

• 2 cups roasted non-salted peanuts
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8th tsp fine grain sea salt

IMG 2892   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

I didn’t stop there either…meet fruit-on-the-bottom protein peanut butter:

IMG 2868   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

For the recipe & how-to photos, click “continue” keep reading.

This second recipe is a fun way to stretch out your peanut butter supply even more – turn 1/2 cup PB into 1 & 1/4 cups – while still maintaining almost the same protein content per tablespoon. This idea is inspired by the Maple Cinnamon ABU I made in the past (lightly adapted from Heather’s original recipe), but this recipe has protein powder for a boost.

I used Garden of Life’s Raw Protein Power, which has 17 grams of protein per serving. It’s also unflavoured so it makes a good base for this recipe. I caution against using any strange tasting protein powders here – you want something nice and neutral. If your protein powder doesn’t taste great, this recipe won’t either. Consider yourself warned! ;)

IMG 3809 thumb   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

Into the food processor goes almond milk, roasted peanut butter, protein powder, cinnamon, and vanilla extract!

IMG 2840 2   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

After tasting it, I deemed a touch of sweetener was necessary to cover up the mild protein powder taste. I added a bit of maple syrup (about 4 teaspoons) and it was perfect!

IMG 2843   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

It’s quite thin in consistency when you first make it, but it easily doubles in thickness once chilled.

I took it up a notch or two by adding strawberry jam into the mix! PB and J spread, anyone?

Untitled 5   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

PB & J vegan overnight oats happened, obviously. It’s also great for dipping apples, banana soft serve, and adding to smoothies.

Fruit-On-The-Bottom Protein Peanut Butter

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 1 & 1/4 cups (not including jam)

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 6 tbsp neutral-tasting protein powder (I used Garden of Life’s Raw Protein Powder)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • Strawberry jam, to stir into the bottom

1. In a food processor, add peanut butter, almond milk, protein powder, cinnamon, and vanilla. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed.

2. Add sweetener to taste and process again until blended. Add a pinch of salt if desired.

3. Scoop into a jar and swirl in your favourite jam. Will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for at least 1.5-2 weeks. This spread will thicken up considerably once chilled.

• Nutritional Info: (per tablespoon without jam, makes 20 tbsp): 51 cals, 3 grams fat, 2 grams carbs, 1 gram fibre, 1 gram sugar, 3 grams protein.

IMG 28751   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

These canning jars are from Crate & Barrel – fell in love! They are perfect for nut butters & homemade chia seed jam. Speaking of chia seed jam, this would be a great recipe to make right along side this protein peanut butter.

IMG 2876   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

By the way, the chia seed jam lasts much longer than I originally anticipated. I’ve had some in the fridge for about a month and it still seems to be fine! I’m not sure how long this peanut butter will stay good for in the fridge, but my first batch lasted 1.5-2 weeks and then I polished it off.

Feel free to try this out with almond butter too. If you don’t want to add any protein powder, check out the Maple Cinnamon ABU recipe. I basically used a 1:1 ratio of almond butter to almond milk, and added a touch of cinnamon and maple syrup to taste.

~~~

Thank you for your kind words about the blog redesign! Eric read all of the comments too and he was smiling from ear to ear! I’m happy that many of you are enjoying the new menu system.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 31, 2012

oh gosh, that looks awesome! I want to dive in head first! :)

Brittany @Better Living XoXo July 31, 2012

OH MY! I’m just drooling looking at these photos! I don’t know if I will be able to make this recipe without devouring the entire recipe!! I’m nutz for peanutbutter and fruit bottoms!

Lisa @ the raw serenity July 31, 2012

You are a vegan angel!
I was just saying last night I want to make my own peanut butter.
I don’t like to buy roasted peanuts though. Have you ever tried it with natural raw ones?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Hey Lisa, No I’m sorry I haven’t tried it with raw peanuts! let me know if you try it out.

laura July 31, 2012

Can’t wait to make this! :)

Sara July 31, 2012

I bought a 6 cup Hamilton Beach food processor yesterday from someone off Craigslist so I am hoping to make your almond butter soon!

Your canning jars are so adorable!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Don’t you love C & B? They have the cutest things…

deirdre July 31, 2012

That looks insanely GOOD! And your new blog-ditto! Though not the insane part, lovely, lovely, lovely!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Thank you I’m hapy you enjoy it!

Kim@healthyhungrygirl July 31, 2012

Oh my…..this sounds and looks amazing! Pinning it now!

Robyn July 31, 2012

Love the new set-up! Can’t wait to try this one out…yum,yum!! Chia seed jam in fridge over a month?? I’ve made it twice and it literally flies outta the jar,,onto everything…time for a third jar…thx

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

I know, right? It does go fast although I made 3 different batches in the span of a week and got a little crazy! haha. I had all these freezer burned frozen blackberries (a HUGE bag from costco) and made a big batch. A good way to use them up!

jenna July 31, 2012

love this idea! that pbutter looks so creamy!

Kristy H July 31, 2012

Hold on a minute, I just need to clean the drool up off my keyboard. Seriously cannot wait to make and devour this.

Dani July 31, 2012

I was just talking about making my own almond butter this morning and I sat down and opened your blog to find this! Great minds think alike! The smoothie looks great, i’m in a bit of a smoothie rut so this might just do the trick to pull me out. Love the container too…just added to my wish list.

Dani July 31, 2012

I was just talking about making my own almond butter this morning and I sat down and opened your blog to find this! Great minds think alike! Love the container too…just added to my wish list.

Matt G. July 31, 2012

I wonder how it compares to PB made with a juicer? My wife grinds the peanuts with a juicer prior to mixing in honey and cinnamon. She makes a huge batch that lasts for weeks.

Jean July 31, 2012

I found your web site about 3 weeks ago, and I wanted to thank you for reminding me to have fun in the kitchen again! Your recipes have offered great inspiration…and delicious eating!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Nice to meet you Jean! Thanks for your kind words :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks July 31, 2012

I did a big homemade pb post a few weeks ago and I love seeing yours and your stages/process! I love it when the blob breaks down and turns into creamy perfection!! love that stage :)

Court Star @ StarSystemz July 31, 2012

After reading this post I have decided to get the Cuisine Art over the Vita-Mix! I would love to make my own nut butter and always thought it impossible because my little ninja can barely chop vegetables! Love and Shine CourtStar

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 31, 2012

Love the idea to add protein powder! I’ll definitely be trying this (subbing almonds for the peanuts, of course… don’t want to kill myself) when I get my new food processor. I’ve been meaning to buy it for ages, but I can’t make up my mind between a Cuisinart or a KitchenAid! How do you like your Cuisinart model?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2012

I like it overall…there are a few things that are annoying about it (like crumbs get stuck in the lid and sometimes liquids or flours comes out the back), but overall it processes like a champ. I used to have a kitchenaid and I didnt find it processed quite as good and I had probs with that one too, although maybe newer models have improved since 2010.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 31, 2012

Uh YUMMM hi hello. I like protein in // on // in my mouth in relation to everything. Peaaaaaanut butta.

Ksenija August 1, 2012

Do need a food processor! now! :) Goes on my amazon-wishlist directly. Don’t think that my ordinary mixer would stand 10 minutes of peanut-processing. And adding some raw protein powder? Genious!

Red Deception August 1, 2012

*drools*

Again, something delicious with peanut butter. Can never go wrong!

Dutchgirl Sam August 1, 2012

Hi Angela,

Altough I don’t comment very often, I check your blog a couple of times a day.
And oh boy, how I love the new design and the new structure.
It works on iPad as well, so that’s u big plus!

This weekend I made the whole wheat banana muffins with the pb banana spread for friends and they LOVED it! Thanks for all your recepies and your lovely writing.
Keep up the good work!

Love, Sam

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2012

Hi Sam, Thank you so much for your lovely comments! :) I’m happy it looks nice on the ipad for you too. Glad to hear you enjoyed the muffins…I haven’t made those i a long time! Do you mean the pb bomb muffins?

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 1, 2012

Simple and wonderful, I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LizAshlee August 1, 2012

Wow, this look amazing!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning August 1, 2012

I love this idea! I make my own nut/seed butters all the time, but never thought of adding protein powder (which is weird, because I add it to everything else). Can’t wait to try it out!

Dutchgirl Sam August 1, 2012

Yeh, the pb bombs! I made them again this afternoon for my sister and her sweettooth 8 year old little lady with a different dip: half cup vegan creamcheese, seeds of one fresh vanillapod, 1 banana, 2 spoons agave sirup. Mix with a mixer untill smooth. They loved it! Thanx for the inspiration!

Heathy @ Sweetly Raw August 1, 2012

This looks delish Angela! I love making peanut butter (and then eating by the spoonful lol). Must try this protein packed treat. I love your new blog layout. Very pretty!

amy August 1, 2012

all i have to say is AMAZING! cant wait to eat this! tu tu!

Hannah August 2, 2012

this. is. brilliant.

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife August 2, 2012

Omigosh that looks great! I’ve been meaning to try making my own PB but have been putting it off. Now I will definitely have to try!

ashley August 5, 2012

Love all your recipes, I will be making this soon!

stee August 20, 2012

I was excited for an unflavored protein powder. But then when you said you needed to cover up the taste with sweetener….

I am not going to even try any more protein powders. They all taste so yukky. Even in a tiny amount in a big batch of something else.

Autumn September 9, 2012

Ahhhh you are amazing :) I just made this but with 1/2 c homemade pb, 4 tbsp chocolate protein powder, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, and 3/4 c coconut milk (mainly coconut because that’s all I had). It came out AMAZING! Thank you for such a great idea and recipe!!

Lisa September 10, 2012

I love your site and have made many of your recipes. I made this one tonight and thought it was a dessert and divided into two jars and ate one! Now I’m having a closer look and realize this is a nut butter recipe, do you use this as an oatmeal topping? Have I just consumed 1000 grams of fat lol?! It tasted great though!

Denise October 16, 2012

Hi Angela,

Thank you so much for this post, I can’t wait to make my first homemade peanutbutter! Do you know how many grams 2 cups of peanuts approx. is? I’m not used to the cup system and looking on the internet to buy some cheaper peanuts. Thanks again! :) PS. I also love the idea of chia jam, gonna try it soon!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2012

Im sorry I don’t know off by heart. Perhaps there is a calculator online that could help?

H November 19, 2012

Forget spread this on something or swirling it in something — this stuff is amazing with a spoon! Thanks for the great recipe!

Sarah May 7, 2013

This looks incredible! I absolutely love nut butters, but definitely (try to) enjoy them in moderation. Adding the protein powder is a genius idea – I can’t wait to try it!! Thanks for your creativity!

Maddy May 15, 2013

My son is allergic to almonds, so I’ll have a go with coconut milk instead [doesn't like soy] but I hope it doesn’t make it too sweet. Lovely idea. Thank you.

Rosie February 2, 2014

Great idea! I can’t wait to try it. Do you know how to make it into powder, too? I’ve been looking for recipes on how to make natural protein powder. Please help!

Page 2 of 2«12