Fruit-On-The-Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

IMG 2860   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

Between adding peanut butter in smoothies, spreading it on veggies and apples, and of course, baking with it, I can go through a lot of peanut butter in a month. Oh, and I like to eat it with a spoon sometimes too! I recently started to make my own peanut butter to save a bit of money. When you buy your own peanuts and make it at home, it works out to being a bit less costly than store-bought. Plus, it takes less than 10 minutes to whip up. I also enjoy making my own almond butter too. For my other nut butter recipes, see my nut butter category.

How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

IMG 2883   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

I bought a huge bag of roasted non-salted peanuts at the grocery store recently. I got 8 cups at about 75 cents per cup. I’m sure you can find even cheaper nuts at bulk food stores or even online.

To make homemade peanut butter, add 2 cups of roasted peanuts into a food processor. When making nut butter, you’ll need a heavy duty food processor. The smaller ones just don’t seem to work from what I’ve heard. Peanut butter is one of my favourite nut butters to make because it’s cheap and it blends up very fast!

Here it is after 1 minute of processing – it’s already coming together!

IMG 2885   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

IMG 2888   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

I added in 1/8th teaspoon fine grain sea salt and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. At the 7 minute stage, you can stop, but I like to go a couple extra minutes because it gets super smooth!

IMG 2890   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

Also, feel free to make it chunky by adding more peanuts and pulsing.

Homemade Peanut Butter (makes 1 cup):

• 2 cups roasted non-salted peanuts
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8th tsp fine grain sea salt

IMG 2892   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

I didn’t stop there either…meet fruit-on-the-bottom protein peanut butter:

IMG 2868   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

For the recipe & how-to photos, click “continue” keep reading.

This second recipe is a fun way to stretch out your peanut butter supply even more – turn 1/2 cup PB into 1 & 1/4 cups – while still maintaining almost the same protein content per tablespoon. This idea is inspired by the Maple Cinnamon ABU I made in the past (lightly adapted from Heather’s original recipe), but this recipe has protein powder for a boost.

I used Garden of Life’s Raw Protein Power, which has 17 grams of protein per serving. It’s also unflavoured so it makes a good base for this recipe. I caution against using any strange tasting protein powders here – you want something nice and neutral. If your protein powder doesn’t taste great, this recipe won’t either. Consider yourself warned! ;)

IMG 3809 thumb   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

Into the food processor goes almond milk, roasted peanut butter, protein powder, cinnamon, and vanilla extract!

IMG 2840 2   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

After tasting it, I deemed a touch of sweetener was necessary to cover up the mild protein powder taste. I added a bit of maple syrup (about 4 teaspoons) and it was perfect!

IMG 2843   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

It’s quite thin in consistency when you first make it, but it easily doubles in thickness once chilled.

I took it up a notch or two by adding strawberry jam into the mix! PB and J spread, anyone?

Untitled 5   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

PB & J vegan overnight oats happened, obviously. It’s also great for dipping apples, banana soft serve, and adding to smoothies.

Fruit-On-The-Bottom Protein Peanut Butter

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 1 & 1/4 cups (not including jam)

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 6 tbsp neutral-tasting protein powder (I used Garden of Life’s Raw Protein Powder)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • Strawberry jam, to stir into the bottom

1. In a food processor, add peanut butter, almond milk, protein powder, cinnamon, and vanilla. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed.

2. Add sweetener to taste and process again until blended. Add a pinch of salt if desired.

3. Scoop into a jar and swirl in your favourite jam. Will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for at least 1.5-2 weeks. This spread will thicken up considerably once chilled.

• Nutritional Info: (per tablespoon without jam, makes 20 tbsp): 51 cals, 3 grams fat, 2 grams carbs, 1 gram fibre, 1 gram sugar, 3 grams protein.

IMG 28751   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

These canning jars are from Crate & Barrel – fell in love! They are perfect for nut butters & homemade chia seed jam. Speaking of chia seed jam, this would be a great recipe to make right along side this protein peanut butter.

IMG 2876   Fruit On The Bottom Protein Peanut Butter + How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter

By the way, the chia seed jam lasts much longer than I originally anticipated. I’ve had some in the fridge for about a month and it still seems to be fine! I’m not sure how long this peanut butter will stay good for in the fridge, but my first batch lasted 1.5-2 weeks and then I polished it off.

Feel free to try this out with almond butter too. If you don’t want to add any protein powder, check out the Maple Cinnamon ABU recipe. I basically used a 1:1 ratio of almond butter to almond milk, and added a touch of cinnamon and maple syrup to taste.

~~~

Thank you for your kind words about the blog redesign! Eric read all of the comments too and he was smiling from ear to ear! I’m happy that many of you are enjoying the new menu system.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 31, 2012

Ooh I can’t believe I’ve never added protein powder to my nut butters before – such a genius idea! I’m pretty sure my food processor would hold up to this. Have you ever tried making PB in your Vitamix? I have a feeling it would get kinda stuck in the bottom and around the edges, but let me know. Might do an experiment this weekend! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

I know some ppl make nut butters in the Vitamix, but I personally find it such a pain to scoop out of the bottom. I prefer the food processor because you can scoop every last bit out. :)

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 31, 2012

This makes me SO happy. I have wanted a Vitamix forever, but can’t justify the cost. I’m glad to hear that, in this circumstance, you actually *prefer* the food processor :)

Ruth July 31, 2012

OR you could use the vitamix and then make a PB smoothie in it to use up the last bit :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

I love the way you think!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul August 3, 2012

Ahhh yes! haha, just like Alex said, I’m “thankful” for my vitamix-lessness now :D haha. This looks so out of this world Angela! And I really want oatmeal now…..

rachel July 31, 2012

what type of food processor do you use? I need to get one!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Hey Rachel, I have a Cuisinart 14-cup processor.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries July 31, 2012

YUM! I’ve been making homemade nut butter nonstop lately. I’ll have to try this out!

P.S. Love the new blog look!

Thanks Ashley!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 31, 2012

Mouth watering! As soon as I invest in a high quality food processor I will be making this!

Willow July 31, 2012

Yum!! I just made a post about a peanut butter protein smoothie I make, using the exact same protein powder. It’s my absolute favorite right now… not too chalky or anything, and it really is neutral in flavor. I also love making my own nut butters… I like being able to decide what goes into them, and whether their raw or roasted. Great post, and the fruit-on-the-bottom parfait sounds incredible! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

It’s probably the protein powder I prefer the most too. I do find it only slightly chalky, but not overly so. I also like that it can blend into other flavours and I contrl the sweetness.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) July 31, 2012

This looks amazing! I LOVE making my own nut butters and peanut is a definite favorite. Although lately, I’ve been using peanut flour for a lot of my quickie peanut butter recipes. I love the addition of a flavorless protein powder to boost the protein in this. Sounds delicious and perfectly nutritious!

nicole July 31, 2012

My good friend just told me about your blog a month or two ago and I am addicted! I just made your strawberry chia jam – glad to hear it lasts a while – and also the blueberry vanilla chia jam last night. Heaven. Now this fruit on the bottom protein peanut butter?! Can’t wait to try it! : )

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Hey Nicole, Thank you, I’m so glad to hear that!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 31, 2012

Laziness has prohibited me from making my own peanut butter in the past. I’m turning over a new leaf. When I run out, I’m making my own thanks to you!

Lauren July 31, 2012

This looks delicious! Protein is a serious buzz word right now. I know when I hear it I think, ‘healthy’ and it’s usually lower carb. I have actually made your chia seed jam (strawberry) and loved it! Chia seeds are the perfect way to thicken it. It’s great for me because I seem to have a difficult time digesting the pectin that would ordinarily be used.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Chia seeds are great aren’t they? I honestly don’t know what I did without in my life hah

Tricia July 31, 2012

Yum! I always love fruit-on-the-bottom anything!

Kris | iheartwellness.com July 31, 2012

Girrlllll your blog is gorgeous!!! Congrats on all the new wonderful things happening over here :)

You are swooning me over here with peanut butter! I love peanut butter, but just bought almond butter after someone told me it was “healthier”, blah, I miss me my peanuts!!!

I’m making this!!
xxoo

Thanks Kris!
I’m always torn about peanut vs almond butter too – I know almond butter is technically healthier but man I just love the taste of PB so much! I think there is room for both in my life. hah

Theresa July 31, 2012

This look great Angela. I can’t believe I never thought of that as a topping as overnight oats. You solved my problem in not achieving super-smooth Peanut Butter too..blend the hell out of it… !

Taylor July 31, 2012

Love the new layout of the site. So clean. Great work between you and Eric!

I have been scared to try nut butter but what the heck,it’s time to give it a go. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

So glad you like it, thank you! Goodluck with it if you try it out.

Kathy Steger July 31, 2012

Beautiful post. What other nuts can I use in this recipe? Do you think almonds would work as well? Thanks

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Hey Kathy, Yup you can use almonds too -the flavour will change but other than that it should be fine. I also find almonds take a bit longer to process into nut butter (if you are making it from scratch that is)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 31, 2012

I have to admit – I am a disaster when it come to making anything but almond butter. Everything else seems to turn into a sticky ball. Ugh.

Love your idea of “stretching” the PB with the recipe! I do something similar with peanut flour, but you have me wanting to try this… with the massive glob of jelly. It’s sinful how good that looks. How did you keep from demolishing the entire jar at one?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

I wish we had PB flour here in Canada…I keep hearing so many things about it!
I demolished 1/2 a jar in a day I think…then I think I had the rest in the back of the fridge. hah

Rachel July 31, 2012

Such a great idea!

Christa @ Edible Balance July 31, 2012

what a fantastic idea for the protein peanut butter spread! I don’t usually eat peanut butter, mostly almond or cashew… that just might change because this looks delicious! and pb & j overnight oats?? wish I could have another breakfast ;)

Marissa@ohhhsolovely July 31, 2012

wow, this looks fantastic…so refreshing & light for the summer!

Dana July 31, 2012

Love your new site! Now I can commence drooling even faster over your recipes. Love the drop-downs by category. Must disable all dessert tabs.. Have you tried using the mostly de-fatted peanut flour to stretch your PB? We use the flour in lieu of protein powder for our sons in smoothies and banana-soft serve. I also sub it out for part of the flour in blondies/brownies. Yummmm.

Thank you Dana!
We don’t have PB flour here in Ontario (as far as I know) I really want to try it!!

Dana July 31, 2012

So just invite me for dinner and I’ll deliver a few cases! WV to Ontario can’t be thaaaat far, can it? :) We buy ours from Amazon or Vitacost. Not sure if there are delivery restrictions up your way or not. Worth smuggling some in your suitcase though next trip to the States. We tried both of these brands and think they are fairly similar and yummo: Bell Plantation PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter
Protein Plus Roasted All Natural Peanut Flour

Trying to type through the pain of wanting a PB smoothie right.this.minute.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2012

Actually come to think of it, I’ve seen PB2 here…is that what you mean by protein flour? Is it the same thing?

Nicole July 31, 2012

Beautiful lighting in these pictures!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Thanks! I was going for a moodier look. ;) I’ve been playing around with lighting a bit as I have a tendency to over expose photos. Lighting is hard to get right!

jo @ includingcake July 31, 2012

lighting is hard to get right…it often frustrates me that Foodgawker seems only to like the ‘overexposed’ look!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

I can relate to your frustration. I get so many rejections and I find tastespotting to be more difficult for me.

Becca July 31, 2012

How much does the PB-Protein blend thicken in the fridge? Like, is it spreadable thick? Or, do you have any pictures of it after it has thicken-up? Thanks in advance!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Hey Becca, Good idea, I should have put an “after” chilling pic in…maybe I will take one and add it in for comparison!
Is it spreadable thick? yes I would say so. It’s not quite as thick as PB but still spreadable.

Lindsay Loves Veggies July 31, 2012

That peanut butter looks delicious! I just made homemade almond butter for the first time. There’s just something a little extra special about homemade nut butter, I think.

I’m actually using that same brand of protein powder right now! I just did a review of it on my blog last week!

Have a lovely day! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Yes there is something about making it homemade…it just tastes better for some reason!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! July 31, 2012

Such a creative idea for a spread! I like the extra dose of protein it adds!

DB-The Foodie Stuntman July 31, 2012

Wow! I firmly believe making your own ingredients at home is almost always better than store bought so thank you for sharing. I never knew peanut butter was so easy.

Julie (A Case of the Runs) July 31, 2012

Does the PB require any stirring or anything once it’s in the fridge? I would love to try this, since PB is getting more and more expensive here!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Nope no stirring required, at least not for me! It stays together well.

Cait's Plate July 31, 2012

I LOVE this!!

Magen July 31, 2012

Did I just order a huge bag of peanuts and weck canning jars? yes, yes i did. Thank you for the inspiration! So excited to try these recipes :)

hah nice :) Enjoy!

Nicola July 31, 2012

I’m not a great fan of peanut butter but I did make the almond cherry bars with the cherry chia seed jam and loved them. Made some more of the jam at the weekend and ate it with ice cream, it was so good!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Hey Nicola, Glad to hear you enjoyed the almond cherry bars! I need to make another batch, they are a distant memory now. hah

Joy July 31, 2012

Thank you for another wonderful recipe. I really enjoy your blog. Thank you for sharing your personal story about your struggle and success. I so can relate. I too am so happy to be “glowing” these days. Yay! Your recipes keep me inspired and give me great ideas. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Thank you Joy, I’m so happy to hear that you are feeling so good!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 31, 2012

I’ve never made my own nut butter, but I think protein powder sounds like a good addition.

Moni Meals July 31, 2012

How great is this! How could you not eat the whole darn jar!! Looks great Ang. Can’t wait to make it.

Michelle July 31, 2012

What grocery store did you find them at?? I couldn’t find any unsalted at loblaws!

Fortinos :)

Katrina July 31, 2012

Oh I didn’t realize it was so easy to make a nut butter at home! I’m going to try this with almonds! Thanks for posting.

Suziee July 31, 2012

Oh… my… Lord… This looks TOO good to be only 51 calories a tablespoon! And 3g of protein per serving as well?? I think I’m making this tonight…

janet @ the taste space July 31, 2012

What a great idea, Ange! I severely depleted our PB stash when I started to make your delicious PB smoothie…. this may remedy that!

Also, great to know how long this (and your fabulous chia jam) lasts! :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance July 31, 2012

I just bought some peanuts yesterday from the bulk section of Whole Foods . . . I really want to try making our own peanut butter. Your tutorial came at the perfect time!!! Thanks!

WonderfullyWorthy July 31, 2012

Such a wonderful idea! I can not wait to make this :) Thank you for the continuous out pour of yummy ideas.

Leanne July 31, 2012

That’s so cool! I make this all the time with homemade almond butter :D also adding protein and – ok, another difference here – goats milk and some stevia, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. I also add some fresh ginger most of the times. It’s SOOO delicious isn’t it?! I know how addictive it gets haha! Also I love adding some cranberry jam to the mix! Unfortunately I can’t have jams anymore (Candida) for a while but it’s great without as well :) LOVE your photos! XO

Beks July 31, 2012

I love natural nut butters. Parents can’t stand them, but I love them to bits. I’ve been really wanting to try making it myself, just haven’t gotten around to it. Peanuts are usually one of the least expensive nuts. Should DEFINITELY try this. :-)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama July 31, 2012

Love the new design. Very clean!

Protein powder to PB is perfect! I make my own almond or sunflower seed butter so I’m going to try adding it soon.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

Thanks Angela! Let me know how it turns out with sunflower seed butter if you try it…curious!

Page 1 of 212»