This Week’s Veg Recipe & News Round-Up

Somehow it’s Friday again! I don’t know where these summer weeks are going, but I really wish they would s-l-o-w down.

While I’m drowning in blog categorizing and manuscript writing this week, I thought today would be a nice time to round-up some of my favourite articles and posts of late.

1. A Fruit-Inspired Body Image Lesson

487360_10150966324848124_684030363_n

Sometimes, something so simple and light-hearted can be so powerful. I came across this fruit-inspired body image comic on Blisstree’s facebook page a couple weeks ago (unfortunately, I could not find the original source, but leave a comment if you know and I’ll add it in).

I know it sounds silly, but it brought a tear to my eye. A comic brought a freakin’ tear to my eye!! Now, that’s comical.

Anyone else think this should be printed on a t-shirt? I’d buy one…

2. When A Vegan Comes To Dinner

20100821IMG_0836

I absolutely adore Gena and look forward to her thought-provoking posts on Choosing Raw each week. Her recent article on Food 52 explores the anxiety that people often face when hosting a vegan for dinner and offers simple suggestions on what to prepare. It’s yet another reminder that vegan meals need not be scary, strange, or processed.

3. Honey made from apples?

single_bottle_high_res

What is Bee Free Honee, you ask?

“Bee Free Honee is a unique sweetener with a slightly tart flavor. It is "apple honey" in that it is made from apples rather than by bees! We use only three all natural ingredients, apple, vegan quality sugar, and lemon juice. There is nothing artificial, no added color and no corn syrup.” [source]

Check out this review for “Bee Free Honee” on Bianca’s blog, Vegan Crunk. It’s getting great reviews from what I’ve seen. I’m looking forward to trying it myself!

4. Check out this yummy Chocolate Oatmeal Pudding Breakfast Cake by Marla of Family Fresh Cooking.

5. Or maybe carrot cake is more your thing? I’ve been drooling over Susan’s Carrot Cake Bars since earlier this month.

6. My Life as an Undercover Investigator:

852_38_investigator.indd

[source]

Grab a tissue, seriously. This is a truly haunting story about Cody Carlson’s experiences working as an undercover investigator in various factory farms in the US. Thanks to VegNews for posting it online.

7. Isa’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillows:

IMG_4097

I’m making these delicious cookies for a get together this weekend! It’s been too long, too long my friends. It will be nothing short of a miracle if they actually make it to their destination.

8. Serious Eats Guide to Food Photography

An older article from last year that I just came across this week. It’s mostly on shooting in restaurants, but still provides an overview of the basics.

9. SMALL COOL KITCHENS featured on The Kitchn! I don’t know about you, but I love seeing other people’s kitchens…especially small spaces that are maximized.  It gives me hope that I won’t go crazy in mine.

10. The 10 Best Veg-Friendly Eateries in London

Saf interior

[source]

Just in time for the Olympics, Vegnews highlights London’s top 10 veg-friendly eateries. Anyone reading from the London area? What do you think of this list?

How I wish I was in London right now!!

By the way, we’re hoping to do a test launch of the blog this weekend, so if you see anything unusual not to worry.

I hope you enjoy the last (gasp) weekend of July. Make it a good one!

1 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 27, 2012

I absolutely died when I first saw that veggie picture – so sweet!

2 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 27, 2012

I’ve been seeing it circulate FB a little; love it!

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 27, 2012

Ooh fabulous roundup! My sister is veg and lives in London… I’m sure she’s probably hit up some of those spots! I am intrigued by this bee-free honey. I wonder if they have it at Whole Foods? And I absolutely love that body image picture. So, so true! I hope you have a wonderful (and productive) day, Ange! :)

4 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 27, 2012

Great round up and yes, I would totally buy that shirt with the fruits and veggies on it!

5 Sherry (BTLover2) July 27, 2012

Hi Angela! Do you have any vegan wine recommendations? It came up in a conversation I had recently (most people are surprised to find that wine is not usually vegan) and I wondered if you had a favorite or if you even do vegan wine? Thanks so much!

6 Sara July 27, 2012

Sherry, sorry to stick my nose in here but you should check out barnivore.com! It’s my go-to resource for finding vegan beer, wine and spirits. :)

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2012

Yup was just going to suggest barnivore! I pull it up on my phone in the LCBO all the time. As for specific recommendations, I can think of any off the top of my head but I will let you know if I do.

8 Sherry (BTLover2) July 27, 2012

Thank you, Sara and Angela! What a fantastic site! I’ll definitely be using it soon and trying some new wines. That can’t be bad can it? :)

9 Sara July 28, 2012

It’s not organic (which is my preference since grapes are dirty little guys), but a good, inexpensive wine to try is Yellowtail. All their reds are vegan, and they are really, REALLY tasty! For organic vino, my current fave is Natura (made by Emiliana vineyards): http://www.emiliana.cl/our-wines/organics/natura/?login=ok

It’s organic, delicious and inexpensive.

Cheers! :) I don’t know what I’d do without Barnivore!

10 Marjorie January 23, 2013

I love Trader Joe’s Green Fin wine. It’s very versatile and surprisingly delicious for the price :)

11 Natasha LeBlanc July 27, 2012

Happy Friday Angela!!

We made Isa’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillows last night and “Oh my!!!!”
We’re bringing them on our road trip this weekend and I fear they might be all gone by the time we arrive at our destination!!

Thank you so much for sharing!! And thank you also for every other blog post every single day! You’re such an inspiration!!

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2012

Hey Natasha, So glad you enjoyed her cookie recipe too! Thanks for your kind words about the blog. :) I appreciate it so much. Happy road-trippin!

13 Kim@hungryhealthygirl July 27, 2012

Oh how I wish I were in London! Honey with no bees…very interesting. Love your list. Geez…the last weekend in July…

14 Sara July 27, 2012

Thanks for posting the link to the undercover investigation story. I originally read it in VegNews magazine and am happy to see they’ve posted it online. Just shared on facebook to bring more awareness to what really goes on behind the walls of the typical factory farm!

15 Allysia July 27, 2012

Ha ha ha, I had to laugh at the comic bringing a tear to your eye… I’m the same way with things. Just the other day, an episode of Community (a comedy show! Comedy!) made me tear up, and then I had to laugh at myself. :)

Thanks for sharing that article Gena wrote, she’s a genius! And I want to try that honey, hopefully they’ll start carrying stuff like that over here in Saskatchewan. Actually Regina is becoming surprisingly progressive with things like that! And I love looking at people’s kitchens, and those ones are really nice for being small, or should I say “realistic” for us apartment dwellers!

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2012

Glad to hear that about Regina – I’ve never been!
Pretty much anything can make me tear up! Oh well, they say it’s healthy right?

17 This Fit Chick July 27, 2012

peanut butter pillows? STOP. amazing

18 Heather July 27, 2012

Angela,

This picture almost made me cry too. I sent it to my previous ED counselor it touched my heart so much. Thanks for sharing! I would definitely buy this on a t-shirt, and I’m thinking about uploading it to cafepress.com and getting one ordered! You should check into it:)Also, I loved the article that Veg News posted online about the undercover investigations. It reminded me of why I choose to live a vegan lifestyle, yet it truly breaks my heart everytime I read how much these terrible things are still going on, despite how public they’ve become over the years. It makes me wonder, will the cruelty ever end? Thanks again for a terrific post:)

19 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition July 27, 2012

Yum! Those Swanson Health look heavenly

20 Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings July 27, 2012

That fruit picture is so sweet and poignant! I think we all need a little reminder like that sometimes, so thank you!

Have a great weekend!

21 Averie @ Averie Cooks July 27, 2012

I have a small urban condo with a small kitchen – I can touch 3 walls of it, at one time without moving. Yeah, pretty tight quarters :) So maximizing space & seeing what others do is fab!

22 Rachel July 27, 2012

I’d love to try the Bee Free Honee! Do you know where to find it??
PS. Those Chocolate PB Pillows are definitely getting made this weekend at my house!

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2012

Hey Rachel, They have a link on their website where to locate it. http://www.beefreehonee.com/ It appears to be only in the US right now, but may be available a couple places online like Amazon.

24 Christa @ Edible Balance July 27, 2012

LOVE that comic too, I saw it on FB earlier this week… I would hands down buy the t-shirt if it existed!

I just wrote a post last week about eating out at non-vegan restaurants and dinners at family or friends houses… loved Gena’s post as well, she’s a wealth of fabulous knowledge that one! Such a huge topic these days, it’s not as daunting as people think or make it out to be :)

I must find that apple honey! I’m still transitioning to vegan, so I’ve still had organic honey in my diet… love that there’s such a great option out there!

25 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 27, 2012

I love when you do round ups – you dins the coolest stuff. Bee-less honey?! That’s amazing!

Those carrot cake bars look incredible. I’m insatiable when it come to orange veggies lately.

26 Sarah July 27, 2012

Anyone I’m London MUST go to the Diwana Bel Puri House on Drummond Street. Wonderful Tahka Dal (excuse guess at spelling!), fantastic lunch buffet spread. And if you love it then join the Facebook group to save the street- they want to put a high speed rail link through there!

27 Ellie@Fit for the Soul July 27, 2012

aww that cartoon is too cute! yet such a great reminder of how sad we humans can be as well…:( I love the one that says, “I’m a freak”. hahaha! And those pb pillows look soooooo chewy!

28 Elizabete July 27, 2012

Ow, that comic…it makes me sad too, i saw it a few days ago already, but didn’t save because it was too sad for me
Also that guide to food photography is pretty nice, i should really work on my photography skills!

29 Michelle@Peachy Palate July 27, 2012

I saw the fruit filled image on facebook too, love it! Totally need to make Susan’s carrot cake bars, I’ve had them pinned all month! Some great link love :)

30 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 27, 2012

Great London list! I’ve been to a couple of the places – Tibits, Vitao, The Gate and 42 Raw. If I remember, Tibits didn’t have much gluten-free options, or they did, but not gluten-free and vegan.
Ah! Last weekend of July… why remind us? I feel like the Summer just started here in Calgary. Hoping we’ll have good weather until October again :D

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2012

Lucky girl! I can’t wait to go some day :)

Yes I know, i shouldn’t have mentioned the end of the month…

32 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance July 27, 2012

I love the fruit comic! Made my day. Thanks for sharing!

33 Sarah Jones July 27, 2012

I’m from London! My favourite place is Beatroot Cafe on Berwick Street in Soho – always guranteed a great meal! Enjoy the Opening Ceremony, 20 minutes to go!

34 Lisa @ The Raw Serenity July 27, 2012

I really enjoyed this post :)
The fruit picture is very touching. Id love to see it on a t-shirt!
Ive been meaning to make those carrot cake bars aswell! This weekend I will :)

35 Sonia the Mexigarian July 27, 2012

That fruit picture is funny and touching at the same time. Really hits home with me. I would so weat a t-shirt with it or even put it up in my office.

Going to try to make those pillows next week for Eric’s bday. :)

36 Susannah July 27, 2012

I am actually heading to the Paralympics, racing the Marathon. Thanks for the link, I’m very excited about these places!!

37 Tiffany July 27, 2012

The funny thing is, that little comic made me cry a little… and it happened even before I read that it made you tear up too. Thanks for sharing. It’s a really important message.

38 Deirdre July 27, 2012

Great round-up…#1 had me laughing…#3 had me curious, #6 had me in tears, #7 had me drooling and well…those eateries in London…really there isn’t much to be said other than, I want to go to there! Liz-Lemon style…Have a great weekend and sheesh, yes these weeks really do need to slow down!

39 Kathy Steger July 27, 2012

The chocolate peanut butter pillows look so appetizing. I am craving chocolate and peanut butter now :)

40 Zoe@lose weight and gain health July 27, 2012

Well I have the huge privilege of working in central London 5 days a week. From my office I can see St. Paul’s Cathedral, London Bridge, Tower Bridge and many other amazing sites. I have not been to any of these restaurants but an willing to go and try them and let you know what they are like :-)

41 Sarah @ Learning to Feed Yourself July 27, 2012

Aww that comic is so cute!! I have wanted to try making those peanut butter pillow cookies for months now!

42 Brittany July 27, 2012

Those peanut butter chocolate pillows look absolutely to die for!!! I will definitely be making a batch!

43 Katherine July 27, 2012

LOVE the fruit comic. That is just awesome. I totally want it on a t-shirt. That should be in school counselor offices around the world :P

44 Hilary July 27, 2012

the fruit comic just brought tears to my eyes as well. it is so powerful!! oh and those cookies look so yummy!! i’m making them on sunday and i can’t wait!! :)

45 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 27, 2012

those peanut butter pillows are making me drool! and what a cute comic! I love the starfruit haha — there’s a lot of truth there.

46 Casey July 28, 2012

Those Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows look so good! I was wondering if you had any suggestions on what to substitute for the flour to make them gluten-free?

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 28, 2012

Hey Casey, I’m sorry I’m not sure! I have successfully subbed the flour for whole wheat pastry flour, but I’ll admit the flour was a bit harder to handle and cracked a bit more. I would suggest checking out Isa’s original recipe to see if anyone in the comments made any subs and reported back. Goodluck!

48 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts July 28, 2012

I too love the comic :) And I am tucking that list of London eateries away for when we’re there later in the year!

49 Kaylee July 28, 2012

Hey Angela, I’m from Oakville but I currently live in London. That list is great and I would definitely recommend Saf in the Whole Foods for a raw food meal. Happy to see Sagar on there too – its by far my favourite Indian restaurant in London! They are so kind there and will give you vegan and wheat-free menus and answer dietary questions. The lentil pancake, the okra and the garlic dahl are all amazing.

I haven’t been to The Gate, but its on my list to go to soon as it looks incredible.

I would also recommend:
– Ottolenghi – not completely veg but very fresh and lots of veg options: http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/

– My favourite Mexican restaurant Wahaca: http://www.wahaca.co.uk/ Some dishes are GF and you can ask for anything with cheese to be made without.

– And my favourite vegetarian restaurant, Food for Thought in Covent Garden: http://foodforthought-london.co.uk/

Hope everyone enjoys visiting London xx

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 28, 2012

Hi Kaylee, Thanks for all these suggestions! It sounds like they are quite a veg-friendly city. :) Enjoy your time there!

51 greenthyme July 28, 2012

I love this London roundup. Thanks for sharing Angela. I actually just came back from London and agree that Tibits is a great, great place. We ate there twice during the trip. You can eat in or take it away. Tons of great options to choose from, hot and cold. Great coffee, smoothies, juices. And desserts! I had a healthier version of a classic sticky toffee pudding while I was there. I keep saying I want to recreate it! I also remember a delicious coconut milk rice.

52 Moni Meals July 28, 2012

Love the round up and updates!! That fruit comic is brilliant, eh!! I love seeing it everywhere, it should be, great awareness.
Have a great weekend and I can’t wait to make the pb and c stuffed pillows! ;)

53 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy July 28, 2012

I love, love, LOVE that fruit picture. I am stealing it for the days when I need serious help with body image! (aka, every second day)

54 Vikki July 28, 2012

Hi Angela

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned a place in Camden called InSpiral check it out ! http://www.inspiralled.net/

Love Vikki

55 Elise July 28, 2012

They left out SO MANY London restaurants, including one of my faves when I was there, Inspiral Lounge in Camden! Though I suppose it’s a good thing where there’s so many veggie restaurants in one city that it’s difficult to whittle it down to ten?

56 SueAnn July 28, 2012

When I saw this post yesterday, it choked me up; I was at a restaurant yesterday for lunch and went to the restroom. I accidentally pushed the door open on a stall that was not locked, and there was a very very thin woman kneeling on the floor in front of the toilet. I had seen her in the restaurant earlier, and remarked to myself that she looked so desperately thin. The entire time my girlfriend and I were in the bathroom, this girl was in the stall quiet as a mouse, and when I left I just knocked softly on the door and asked if she was alright. I just knew she was bulimic, and felt so powerless to help her.

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 28, 2012

Oh gosh, that is sad. :(

58 Michaela July 28, 2012

not very impressed with the London list, to be honest.
222 Veggie Vegan restaurant is one of the best restaurants in our town and yet hasn´t made it to the list, also other great ones are not listed either (like Manna, Inspiral Lounge in Camden Town…). Living in London, I really do not understand this list.

59 Rachel July 29, 2012

Hi Angela

I’m from Brighton, England and me and my boyfriend went to Saf Kensington last week! I had a raw sea vegetable salad and my boyfriend had a vegan wrap. You should definately eat there if you ever visit London!

Rachel

60 Marit July 29, 2012

I just moved back to sweden after nine months in London. I became a vegan this new year and quickly became fond of London as a place to find vegan food. Being a waitress I had a limited budget for food but found my favourites. Mildred’s is defenatly one of them but I’d like to add Inspiral and My Village, Chalk farm rd. in Camden, to the list, both with great vegan meals, the first one also with amazing desserts. I’d also like to mention a bugerplace in the Camden Market with the most delicious burgers from 3.50 pounds with toppings like hummus, vegan garlic mayo or peanutbutter and banana. Further in you also find my favourite spot Cookies and scream where you find vegan, gluten free cookies, wookies, cookie sanwhichs and everything else you can ask for. Need I say more?

61 Tarah @ What I Gather July 29, 2012

I was in London last year and ate at Mildred’s and I was so happy to see it made the list. :) It was one of my favorite meals in London and I am not even vegan. I mostly remember the sweet potato fries with curry ketchup – yum!

I am sure it will be upsetting, but thanks for sharing the article on Cody Carlson. It is always hard for me to read these things, but it is important that we all know what is really going on.

62 Katie G July 29, 2012

I didn’t know where to post this so I’m just posting this here,
but Angela YOU’VE DONE IT AGAIN!
I made your olive oil pasta with lentils and walnuts today for dinner, and it was AMAZING! Simple but sooo good! :) I got super full about halfway through but I ended up eating the whole recipe by myself ooooops! It was sososo good though, no regrets ;)

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2012

Hey Katie, So glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know. I totally know the feeling of eating more than I need just because it tastes so good..hah.

64 K July 29, 2012

beautiful new layout!! Love it!

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2012

Thank you so much, we’re working on it right now!

66 Elly July 30, 2012

Hi Angela, thanks for posting that cute picture! Just wanted to say that your new website design for theblog looks great! I love the clean lines and crisp colours. I’ve been reading your blog every single day for 3 years now and I always look forward to your words of inspiration and your delicious recipes – though I do miss your workout posts! Thanks again, Elly

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2012

Thank you Elly! :)
Workout posts are something I’m hoping to get back into more frequently.

68 sara @ real fun food July 30, 2012

I’m reading from London! I am sad to say I hadn’t heard of some of the top 10 veg restaurants, but thanks for posting! I can’t wait to try them all out!

69 Natalie July 30, 2012

Wow! Love the new layout! So crisp and fresh and clean and gorgeous!! Good work!

70 Mari July 31, 2012

Thank you so much for the London-link! I’ve been to Saf and it is indeed great, the others are now on my list. Can’t believe I have not spotted the one right around the corner in Camden. I am volunteering as a performer in the opening and closing ceremony of the Paralympics so I will need the fuel :D

71 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife August 2, 2012

That honey looks interesting! Would love to try it!

& I love that little comic! How creative!!

72 Caitlin August 4, 2012

I’ve lived in London for four years and have taken it upon myself to try as many vegetarian restaurants as possible. :) I’ve been to all the places on that list apart from 42Raw — I tried to go there one weekend only to discover it’s only open during the week, while I’m at work so I can’t go… The list is pretty good (Saf and Mildred’s in particular are standouts for me), although I disagree with Amico Bio (had a bad meal there and have heard bad reviews from a few others). There are a few I’d add: Inspiral in Camden (healthy and some raw food), Manna in Primrose Hill (the oldest vegetarian restaurant in London and now completely vegan!), Ms Cupcake in Brixton for cupcakes. I’d say the Loving Hut in Archway (formerly Peking Palace) beats the one in Camden, though. It’s got a much bigger range, and lots of amazing Chinese dishes.

73 Grace August 11, 2012

I am a Londoner and I love your blog ! I am not a vegan so am not familiar with all the restaurants, but I have been to Sagar and it is great (I am Sri lankan in origin so I know a thing or two about the healthy wonderful aspects of asian veg food) there are others worth checking out too like Chennai Dosai for Authentic south indian vegan food :)

Lovely blog! especially love your tips and tricks on time saving ideas and the veggie burgers !

74 Marianne August 18, 2012

Thanks for the London Veg Eateries list.
Im trying to convert slowly to a vegetarian.
Some of the places I already checked out, you mentioned.
Quite pleased. Can’t wait to go through all eateries listed.
Thank you!!!!!!!