Peanut Butter, Jam, & Banana Soft Serve Popsicles + Blog News

IMG 2626 2   Peanut Butter, Jam, & Banana Soft Serve Popsicles + Blog News

Last weekend, as I was making banana soft serve, the idea struck me to use it as a base for a popsicle. Instead of a typical icy, fruit-based popsicle, I wanted a popsicle with an ice-cream like taste and texture. A bit similar to these fruity popsicles, but more ice cream like. I figured banana soft serve could do the trick while being less costly than all-natural popsicles from the grocery store.

And, tell me, what goes better with banana than peanut butter and jam?

IMG 2637   Peanut Butter, Jam, & Banana Soft Serve Popsicles + Blog News

A little planning ahead will do you well with this recipe because you’ll need 4 peeled and frozen bananas to kick things off. For some reason, I seemed to be hoarding frozen bananas in the freezer last week, so I had them ready to go! Who am I kidding, I’m always hoarding bananas. Don’t worry if the frozen bananas are covered in ice crystals; it’ll all come out in the wash.

Roughly chop the frozen bananas and whirl in the food processor along with 3-4 tbsp of almond milk. Once it starts to get creamy (you’ll have to scrape the bowl down every now and then), add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and process until smooth.

Now we have amaaaazing peanut butter banana soft serve. You might think to yourself it doesn’t get much better than this

IMG 2624 2   Peanut Butter, Jam, & Banana Soft Serve Popsicles + Blog News

Oh but it does.

Now remove the bowl from the base of the processor and stir in 3 tbsp of your favourite jam and another tablespoon of peanut butter. You want to leave it nice and chunky, with thick ribbon-like swirls throughout.

IMG 2629 2   Peanut Butter, Jam, & Banana Soft Serve Popsicles + Blog News

Try to stop yourself from planting your face in the bowl. It’s difficult.

Scoop into popsicle molds, sneaking spoonfuls here and there.

IMG 2634   Peanut Butter, Jam, & Banana Soft Serve Popsicles + Blog News

Now, here is the tricky part. These take a long time to freeze & set. I would say about 6-8 hours or longer. It might as well have been a week as far as my impatient self was concerned.  I suggest leaving them overnight in the freezer if you can. Your sanity will thank you for it.

Don’t worry though, the clean up is fun!

IMG 2632 2   Peanut Butter, Jam, & Banana Soft Serve Popsicles + Blog News

Here’s the thing. These are probably the homeliest, sad lookin’ popsicles I’ve ever laid eyes on, but they are also some of the best popsicles I’ve tried. It’s like PB & J & B ice cream, without the dairy. A banana split in popsicle form.

Maybe they aren’t the best looking popsicles I’ve come across, but I can promise you won’t be able to stop at just one.

IMG 2648c   Peanut Butter, Jam, & Banana Soft Serve Popsicles + Blog News

Peanut Butter, Jam, & Banana Soft Serve Popsicles

These are soft, ice cream like popsicles with swirls of PB and jam throughout. For a fun twist, try stirring in some shaved chocolate. When freezing, shaved chocolate is nice because you don’t have to bite into big frozen chocolate chips.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 6 small popsicles

Ingredients:

• 4 medium/large bananas, peeled and frozen
  • 3-4 tbsp almond milk
  • 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
  • 3 tbsp raspberry or strawberry jam, for swirling in
  • 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, for swirling in

1. In a food processor, add 4 roughly chopped frozen bananas along with a few tablespoons of almond milk. Whirl in the processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

2. Now add in two tablespoons of peanut butter and process again until combined & smooth.

3. Remove bowl from base and stir in the jam and another tablespoon of peanut butter, leaving thick ribbons of jam and PB throughout the soft serve. Do not overmix.

4. Spoon the soft serve into popsicle molds (it made enough for 6 small popsicles for me, however this will vary based on the size of your molds). Push the mixture all the way to the bottom with the end of a spoon. Freeze for at least 6-8 hours, or overnight. Run hot water over the mold to help the popsicle slide out. I found they were a bit difficult to get out of the mold, but I’m not sure if that was due to my strange shaped popsicle mold or simply the consistency of the popsicle.

For nutritional info, see here.

IMG 2627 2   Peanut Butter, Jam, & Banana Soft Serve Popsicles + Blog News

and some blog news to share…

Eric and I have been working behind the scenes on some exciting blog stuff that I’m really excited to share with you! One of the changes I’m excited about is a new categorization system. My recipes will soon be completely searchable via a new menu system directly from my home page. You will be able to search easily by dietary preferences (gluten-free, soy-free, etc), season, type of dish (appetizer, entrée, dessert, etc), and much more. This is something I’ve wanted to do for years now and I hope it makes your life easier. My other blog topics, such as fitness and my various writing posts, will also be categorized in various ways so they are much easier to locate.

Needless to say, this has been a huge undertaking as it’s involved going through every single blog post over the last (almost) 4 years and re-categorizing everything with a fine tooth comb. Eric has been working his magic on a few other design related things (involving lots of coding that I know nothing about) and you will be seeing those changes soon too. I don’t know what I’d do without this guy. He’s a smart cookie! He also decided to DRAW a picture of me on the sidebar so every time I see the new homepage I die laughing. I’ll have to get a screenshot of it to show you so you know what I mean. Anyway, there won’t be any major changes right now – in fact you might not even notice some of them – but the blog will look a bit fresher and easier to navigate. That is the goal.

There are other things going on too – we’re working on an entirely new website. Unfortunately, it’s going to be a long time in the works, so more on that at a later date!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 25, 2012

These sound amazing Ange! Even if they don’t look like the most delicious thing ever, I’m already craving a little PB&J in popsicle form!! And awesome news about the blog back-end stuff. I know Eric is a very clever guy when it comes to that so I can’t wait to see what you guys have been working on!

Joanna July 25, 2012

Such a simple idea. Love it. Trying it this weekend :) :) :)

Kerry July 25, 2012

They still look delicious to me!!

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife July 25, 2012

Those look excellent! I love banana soft serve so I can imagine these being just as delicious!

& I totally hoard frozen bananas, too :)

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 25, 2012

Right? I have ziploc bags full of banans in my freezer!

Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets July 25, 2012

These look insanely good! Can’t wait to try them out!!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com July 25, 2012

Wow-why haven’t we thought of this before-totally brilliant!
I also have a banana hoarding problem…I think my husband thinks I’m weird…but he’s always happy when banana bread/soft serve/etc. comes from those little guys!
Congrats on the blog news-that’s really exciting! I also don’t know what I would do without my husband-he keeps me up and running! Sounds like it was quite the job but will make things more simple for you here on out!

Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep July 25, 2012

Pretty much anything that tastes that amazing is ugly. No worries =] Looks awesome!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 25, 2012

I’m on a push up frenzy (hence today’s “Fluffernutter Push Up” post) so these are right up my alley. It doesn’t matter what they look like, as long as they invite your tastebuds to the party of the year! :-)

Barbara July 25, 2012

what a great idea! I have recently been obsessed with making popsicles, and I can’t wait to try these when my molds are free :)

chat eats greens July 25, 2012

Sheesh, I can’t believe I don’t even OWN popsicle molds. I think I need to do that soon because these ones are totally speaking to me!! I love the idea of this for a creamy Popsicle. I almost want to try putting puréed fresh strawberries in too. I think we both know what I need to accomplish today ;)

Ashley July 25, 2012

Love the “homely” look! I just reunited myself with BSS and I think I’ll be trying this recipe out next. I have a fun one in the works myself! Very exciting news about the blog and all of the changes you’re making. Takes so much time…kudos to you both!

Susanne Winnacker July 25, 2012

Ahh, I love your website so much. I’ve been a vegetarian for almost two months. I don’t eat eggs and use only rice or almond milk. My next goal is to prepare only vegan meals at home. Your recipes are such a fantastic inspiration. I’ve already cooked a few of them! This popsicles look so yummy. I don’t have popsicle molds though, so I’ll have to figure out another way to freeze them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 25, 2012

Hey Susanne, Thank you so much. I’m so happy you enjoy the blog & recipes. :) Congrats on going veg too. I’ve found half the fun is learning new foods to prepare.

Kayla Moothart July 25, 2012

I made my first banana soft serve this summer and it was delicious – I added almond butter to it but hadn’t tried the jam yet – this will be something that will happen this umber! YUM! Thanks!

Cookie and Kate July 25, 2012

Man, those popsicles sound good! I bought a popsicle mold this summer so I’m always looking for creamy popsicle recipes. That’s great news about the blog—organizational changes like that are quite an undertaking! I’m jealous you have a website helper. I have to do everything myself, which I both love and hate!

Naomi Casiro (Health Here Help There) July 25, 2012

Hey Angela!

These look delicious, I have to admit even though I am in Argentina still and can’t really make the recipes I am still drooling over them daily and saving them to make when I get back! :)

Anyways I was writing because I was just wondering if you had any tips for getting the popsicles out of the holders once they are done and you want to eat them? I have tried the hot water thing with other popsicles but always end up with a 1/3 of the popsicle and bunch of melted mush by the time It comes out!

Gracias!

Naomi

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 25, 2012

Hey Naomi, I have that problem too, especially with popsicle molds that have strange shapes like the one I have now. I run hot water over them, but yes it can take a while and it usually melts it a bit. Not a big deal in this case though as it gives it a bit more ice cream like consistency! I’ve wondered if you can spray the popsicle molds with non-stick oil spray….would that be gross? haha. Maybe someone else has tips they can give us.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 25, 2012

Yum, sounds delicious! I wonder if you have to freeze the bananas first? That’s my impatient Taurus brain coming out.
Good on you for coming up with a recipe categorization system… I need to do that desperately and I’ve only been at it 1.5 years, I can only imagine how frustrated you are with your current setup. Can’t wait to see what you two have been up to :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 25, 2012

I have wondered that too – I think to get the real ice cream texture it needs to be processed into BSS first. Dont quote me on that though ;)

Carolyn July 25, 2012

They look good to me! Right now there is nothing BUT bananas in my freezer…

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom July 25, 2012

I just recently started making banana soft serve for my kids as a dessert and I know they would be all over these…..me too!!! I just need to add popsicle mold to my shopping list and we will be ready to go!!

Jill July 25, 2012

Oooh, love these! My kids will also love these. I’ll have to make them soon.

Andrea @ Vegvacious July 25, 2012

All of the changes sound so exciting — you’re lucky to have such a tech-savvy man! And those popsicles look fantastic! I’ve been whipping up homemade popsicles all summer, but I’ve been using Greek yogourt as my base. I thought about bananas, but I wasn’t too sure if it would freeze up of not. I guess now I know and I’m pretty sure I can guess what my next popsicle combo is going to be :-)

Yellow Haired Girl July 25, 2012

I’m exciting for blog changes! Yay!

And those popsicles look like they could change the world.

Rachel July 25, 2012

I need to get one of these Popsicle makers!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition July 25, 2012

These look awesome, and what a perfect summer snack. Now on a mission to get popsicle trays! I can imagine the new menu system takes hours and hours of work, especially since you have to go back through all of your old posts. As a new blogger, this technology stuff is so overwhelming! Glad Eric has been able to do it!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 25, 2012

I think you just picked everything I love most in life and put them in posicle form!

Yael July 25, 2012

Do you have any suggestions for soft serve for people who don’t like bananas? Any good banana substitutes out there?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 25, 2012

Hmm that’s a tough one! I’m really not sure. I think I heard pear (peeled I assume) can work, but I haven’t tried it myself. I can’t see it getting as creamy as a banana would. Maybe pear + a touch of avocado?

Kasandra July 25, 2012

Excited for the new blog layout! And wow, HELLO! I don’t care how funny-looking the popsicles may be, I can just TASTE them :) Great idea, as always, Angela!

Jessica July 25, 2012

Yay! I love when ugly things taste good! This sounds delectable!

sarah@thesweetlife July 25, 2012

What a great idea! soft serve in popsicle form. I recently got some molds and have been trying out all kinds of things…this one is next on my list.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) July 25, 2012

I was just thinking about something like this! I bet my boys would be all over these! With quite a few bananas in the freezer, I see a fun project in my future with them! I need to work on some blog organization too. Mine is really all over the place and that is really not helpful to me or anyone else that wants to find anything!

Willow July 25, 2012

Mmm, banana split-sicles! Haha!

And wow, that is a BIG undertaking. I haven’t been blogging for very long, and it still feels like an eternity of sorting through old posts to put together a basic archive. Crazy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 25, 2012

it’s crazy how quickly it gets out of control, right? If I were to do it all over again I would start blogging with a great category system set up. But then again when I started blogging I wouldn’t have known what categories I would need & use the most…

Michelle @ Live Loudly July 25, 2012

I think I just hit the Jackpot! I’m a huuuuge ice cream fan and I always want to find a healthy alternative. This is perfect. The rare occasion I splurge and go to Dairy Queen I always get the Banana Split Blizzard that looks identical to this. Ooo I can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks so much.
Now if you could imitate the Hagen Dazz Chocolate Peanut Butter… I might be in love. lol
-Michelle

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) July 25, 2012

Oh wow these popsicles sound AMAZING! However I might just settle for pb&j soft serve because I’m not sure I will be able to wait 8 hours! Do you think they would work with your chia jam recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 25, 2012

Yes I do :)

Alysha @Shesontherun July 25, 2012

This recipe looks amazing! I wish I had a popsicle mold! Maybe I could use an ice cube tray with popsicle sticks?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 25, 2012

I can’t see why that wouldn’t work. The sticks might freeze lopsided, but oh well. Let me know if you try it out.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 25, 2012

I don’t think these pops are homely at all! I still dream about a vanilla ice cream I had at the beach as a kid with had chunky swirls of gooey PB. This reminds me of that deliciousness!

Good luck in the recipe index! I’m STILL trying to transfer everything to Recipage. It takes soooo long, but totally worth the effort. :)

Lauren July 25, 2012

Haha! Popsicles definitely seem tough to photograph… Do you want your hand in the pic? If not, what do you set it on?… The pops look tasty, regardless of the pictures. Such a fun, easy recipe and great for kids (my daughter loves popsicles), so I’ll have to give these a try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 25, 2012

They are very tough to take pics of, I agree. My fav pictures are when the popsicles just lay flat on the counter and get a bit melty.

shelby July 25, 2012

…………..i could cry.

on my way to buy popsicle molds now. crying.

shelby July 25, 2012

okay, they’re freezing now. i used 3 frozen bananas, a handful of frozen strawberries, apricot jam, and this pre-mixed almond/peanut/cashew butter. cannot WAIT to try them in frozen form!!!

Christa @ Edible Balance July 25, 2012

Ok, I think it’s high time I get a popsicle mold… I have been seeing way too many recipes not to!! Nicely done Angela, banana split in frozen form? Best idea ever!

Looking forward to seeing the changes!

Kristy July 25, 2012

I’ve never been a popsicle lover, but these sound amazing! It has all of my favorite things, pureed and on a stick- what’s not to love? :-) Thank you, Angela!

K July 25, 2012

these look absolutely delish!! Might try it with almond butter first, since I’m out of pb!

Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures July 25, 2012

My mind is now officially blown and I must get a popsicle mold tray right away. Thanks for the super tasty looking recipe!

Page 1 of 3123»