Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

IMG 2338 2   Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

When I was in Calgary visiting my family, my sis made me a peanut butter oatmeal smoothie one morning for breakfast. I sipped on it (trying my best not to inhale it because it was so good), while I made my nephews “Auntie Angie’s” special pancakes, of course with their eager help. And chocolate chips! Between the smoothie my sis made me and my nephews undying love for their Auntie, I felt a bit like a hero that morning. When I was back in Ontario, I found myself making it for a week straight to comfort my homesick self.

After mentioning it on the blog, I received a few requests for the recipe so I thought I would make a version at home and share it with you. This recipe today is more of a dessert version of my sister’s breakfast smoothie, but I will tell you what she put in the breakfast version: almond milk, a heaping tablespoon of natural peanut butter, rolled oats (I think she probably used 1/4 cup?), a large banana, and ice. The rolled oats really help thicken it up and give it a bit more staying power. She also likes to add in a tbsp of coconut oil for its health benefits, and in her own smoothie she also adds honey and Greek yogurt.

IMG 2332   Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

This recipe today is a cross between my Peanut Butter Crunch Blizzard and Kristi’s PB Oatmeal breakfast smoothie. Oh boy, it’s a doozy! In my blizzard recipes, I made banana soft serve in the processor for the “ice cream” base, but in this one, I made it smoothie style for a larger serving size. Like in my blizzard recipes, the key here is to use frozen bananas for an ice cream like texture. I also added chia seeds instead of oats for thickening and made some quick and easy PB crunch balls.

After pouring the smoothies into glasses, I crumbled the peanut butter balls into the smoothie and ate it with a spoon! All by myself, I might add, because Eric loathes peanut butter. I’m pretty sure if he hears me beg, “JUST TRY IT, You can grow to LOVE peanut butter, I promise!” one more time, he may divorce me.

IMG 2343   Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

Where’s a PB lovin’ sis when you need her?!

I had every good intention of saving the second smoothie for tonight’s dessert, but I quickly threw that plan out the window when I guzzled it at 6:45am this morning. There is no hope for me.

IMG 2329   Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 3 cups

for the smoothies:

• 2 cups almond milk
  • 2 large frozen ripe bananas
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • ice, if desired
  • Peanut butter crunch balls (below), crumbled on top

for the peanut butter crunch balls: (yield: 19-20 mini bites)

• 1 cup rolled oats, ground into flour (or use 1 cup + 2 tbsp oat flour)
  • 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp almond milk
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup rice crisp cereal

1. In the blender, grind the rolled oats into a flour or just use oat flour. In a food processor, process together the ingredients for the crunch balls (except for the rice crisp cereal). Adjust to taste. If batter is dry, add a touch more liquid. Stir in the cereal and form into tiny balls. I made about 19. Store leftovers in freezer.

2. In a blender, add the smoothie ingredients, except for the crunch balls, and blend until smooth. Add ice if desired. Pour into two glasses and top with crumbled crunch balls. Serve immediately with a spoon!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt July 13, 2012

I love making peanut butter smoothies, and the crunch balls sound like the perfect addition! :)

Jesse (Out To Lunch Creations) July 13, 2012

This recipe sounded so amazing I went straight to my kitchen and created this http://instagram.com/p/NBz6EcGZpW/
It really isn’t the same at all because the only common ingredient was almond milk… I blended 1T flax seeds, 1/2 avocado, 1 scoop vanilla Sunwarrior, 2T almond butter, 3 drops liquid setvia, 1t maca, 1T coconut oil, almond milk and cinnamon and its delicious! Thank you for the inspiration!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

yummy!

Danica @ It's Progression July 13, 2012

this looks absolutely amazing, can’t wait to try!

Jen July 13, 2012

I sent my boyfriend this link because it looks delicious, and he said: “I don’t like peanut butter.”

WHAT. Is my relationship doomed?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

In my experience the relationship can still work, it’s tough but you can get through it! ;)

allison July 18, 2012

my bf doesn’t like pb either! i don’t get it! but he does like almond butter and cashew butter. I totally believe pb and chocolate are a food group :-) More for me I guess :-)

Lana B July 13, 2012

I need to try this, it looks soooooooo good! I love peanut butter, my boyfriend hates it too…..oh well more for me! Will try this soon :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks July 13, 2012

Mmm, drinking my peanut butter is always a fun way to have it :)

Great looking smoothie which looks like it has some staying power from the chia and oat crunch.

Katie @Veggie and the Beast July 13, 2012

Ohhhhh my I love love love putting peanut butter and/or almond butter in smoothies. This looks amazing :)

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings July 13, 2012

Peanut butter smoothies are my favorite! I’m definitely going to try these crunch balls to go on top, they look good! Love your new cherries logo.

Marissa July 13, 2012

Hi ! I follow your blog daily (Love your recipes!) but never got the chance to comment. I just made the crunch balls and OMG ! I subbed sunflower seed butter for the pb, added a scoop of brown rice protein, and a drop of butterscotch extract ………. and ate half the batch before they even became balls! Thank you for making my day!

Marissa

Kristin July 13, 2012

It’s a known longing of mine for my husband to share with me in my LOVE for peanut butter. I try to be thankful that he doesn’t like it because I get to have it all though. :-) Maybe someday he become like the rest of us normal people..this recipe looks delicious! Thanks

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 13, 2012

Good thing it’s for two – that’s a smoothie the hubs might actually get into.

Kathy Steger July 13, 2012

I must confess I am craving one after reading this. Going to make one for me and my sister tomorrow morning. Thanks for sharing

Meg | One Love Meg July 13, 2012

I am in need of a shake. I have been traveling so I have been skipping my juices and shakes but I am in a place where there is a blender. I am making this tomorrow!

Heather July 13, 2012

This sounds amazing!

To all of you with significant others that do not like peanut butter, you might be lucky. Whenever I go to get some peanut butter, there is none left. I still can’t quite figure out how my fiance can make it disappear so quickly. We even got to the point awhile ago that we each had our own stash of it, but then he decided he needed to cut back his PB consumption and he stopped buying PB for himself…and then he gets weak and goes into my stash. :)

Nicole July 13, 2012

I don’t think I have ever commented before, but I read all the time. As soon as I saw this, I realized I had everything on hand and made it. Delicious!! Really looking forward to your cookbook.

Nicole

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Lovelys July 13, 2012

I can’t wait to try these out! They look so good, and I think my husband will like them as well! :)

Lesley July 13, 2012

Sounds absolutely amazing. Love the little peanut butter balls!

Foodforthoughtlinds July 13, 2012

oh my goodness… I can’t eat pb for another 4 months while breastfeeding my daughter, due to family allergies. And this is making me drooooool… and want to wean my daughter NOW!!! I will tough it out and pin this for October ;)

The Blissful Baker July 13, 2012

I love topping my smoothies with some crunch! Usually it is just some homemade granola-but I may have to switch it up and use those peanut butter balls! Thanks for the post-have a great weekend!

Check out my latest recipe, review and giveaway @ bakingblissful.blogspot.com

Kit July 14, 2012

One cannot simply loathe peanut butter. That’s just a crime.

Katrina July 14, 2012

This just sounds awesome! I love it!

Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures July 14, 2012

This smoothie sounds so delicious! I just had a peanut butter smoothie last night after the gym, but it was missing those crunch balls. Mmmm, this recipe will definitely be tried as soon as possible. ;)

Heathy @ Sweetly Raw July 14, 2012

I NEED to make this!!! Looks like the perfect liquid dessert in this hot weather.

Rachel July 14, 2012

oh my gosh I used to LOVE peanut butter and bananas… this sounds amazing! I’m allergic to bananas now, I wonder if pears will be a good substitute lol

Jennifer Grey July 14, 2012

Angela – can almond butter be used instead of peanut butter?

oxox..
Jennifer

Becky July 14, 2012

That looks super de-lish!

Kristin July 14, 2012

I added chocolate chips to it, and I feel like I’m in heaven over here. Thanks for Sharing!!

em @ simplypresent July 14, 2012

I’m addicted to peanut butter! These both look heavely! :)

melanie July 14, 2012

This looks absolutely delicious!! May I ask how you keep your frozen bananas? Do you just cut a whole bunch and keep them in baggies to use whenever?? I need to get more organized in the kitchen and could use all the tips I can get!! Thanks!!:)

Sharon @ Granola Meets Grits July 14, 2012

Oh my gosh, these look DELICIOUS, and your peanut butter balls are so cute! Neat healthy yet special treat. You are so clever! Also I loved that summer salad you put up a post or two- yum! Had all the ingredients and made it right away, was so glad for something a little different! Thank you for being so yummy and inspiring!

Katherine @ Green Thickies July 15, 2012

Wow, this smoothie looks amazing. I adore anything with peanut butter. I add oats to all my smoothies (Green Thickies) so they fill me up until lunch time as I only have time for one drink. These crunch balls look gorgeous. I’m going to have to try these out as I also love a crunch on top of my smoothie. I wonder if these would work with a liquid sweetener like agave or molasses. Many thanks

Maureen July 15, 2012

Peanut butter should be its own food group. This looks delicious.

Shannon July 15, 2012

I scanned the home page before I went to sleep last night and just kind of grazed over and nodded. Then I woke up this morning, knew that that smoothie/blizzard was EXACTLY what I was having that morning, and whipped it up without missing a beat. It’s great to have a website you can trust to be delicious :)

Maddy July 15, 2012

Being the peanut butter fanatic I am, I had to try this for breakfast. It was awesome! I love the addition of the peanut butter balls; I didn’t have rice cereal so I used pumpkin/flaxseed granola to get the crunch.

marni July 15, 2012

this looks and sounds divine! seems to good to be true.

marni July 15, 2012

oops… “too” good to be true :)

Amy July 15, 2012

YUUUMMM! I used to hate PB as a kid….now I adore it. So it is possible to go from a hate to love relationshio :) Going straight to the kitchen to make these! Love your blog!!!

Rosey July 15, 2012

LOVE LOVE LOVE this…used soymilk and kashi go lean crunch as subs because that was all I had- also added I packet of stevia to the smoothie…my new fave….so so good.

Lisa July 15, 2012

for smoothies containing oatmeal, you cook the oatmeal first (not just use dried oats)… right? just checking! thanks

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2012

You can use cooked or dry :) I like to soak mine (like overnight oats) if I have time, in almond milk.

lahealthyliving July 15, 2012

This is a great idea for a smoothie! It would make a really healthy breakfast!

Page 2 of 3«123»