Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

IMG 1238 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Before we left for our trip, I found myself with a couple pints of blueberries and a few spotted bananas to use up. I’ve been meaning to make my strawberry chia seed jam for a while now, so I ended up adapting my recipe using blueberries, all-natural sweetener, and a touch of vanilla. It turned out lovely and was ready in 20 minutes flat!

This is the strawberry chia seed jam that I made a couple years ago:

20101018IMG 7542 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Chia seeds are magic. I love using them as thickeners in all kinds of foods from homemade jam to vegan overnight oats to pasta sauces.

This strawberry chia seed “jam” is a tasty filling for my Healthy Strawberry Oat Squares! You can use any kind of filling that you like in these oat squares. They remind me a lot of a healthy nutri-grain bar.

20101018IMG 7576 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

This is not a traditional jam recipe by any means, but then again I’m not one for following traditions all that often when it comes to food. Instead of using white sugar, I used maple syrup to lightly sweeten the berries. The maple and vanilla extract do a great job of bringing out the flavours in the blueberries without overpowering them. Chia seeds thicken the mixture nicely while adding a tasteless burst of nutrition in every bite.

If you’ve got 20 minutes, you can make this jam. It’s a snap. All you do is add blueberries and a touch of maple syrup into a pot. Bring it to a low boil and then reduce it to simmer for about 5 minutes or so. Then stir in the chia seeds and simmer it for another 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently until it’s as thick as you desire.

IMG 1210 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Before adding the chia seeds, the blueberries will be quite watery.

IMG 1213 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Have no fear chia is here!

After adding in the chia seeds and cooking the mixture down, it thickens up beautifully! Hence, the name – magical jam. You won’t believe your eyes how thick this gets. Thanks to the chia seeds, we’re also pumping up the jam with all kinds of healthy omega fats, iron, fibre, protein, magnesium, and calcium. Who knew jam could be so healthy?

IMG 1216 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Enjoy this on toast, oatmeal, vegan overnight oats, thumbprint cookies, tarts, in smoothies, and so much more. Also, feel free to try this out with any seasonal fruit you wish.

IMG 1224 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Adapted from my strawberry chia seed jam.

Yield: ~ 1 cup

Ingredients:

• 3 cups fresh blueberries
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup, to taste (or other liquid sweetener)
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. In a medium-sized non-stick pot, bring the blueberries and 3 tbsp of maple syrup to a low boil. Stir frequently, and reduce heat to low-medium to simmer for about 5 minutes. Lightly mash the blueberries with a potato masher or fork, leaving some for texture.

2. Stir in the chia seeds until thoroughly combined and cook the mixture down until it thickens to your desired consistency, or about 15 minutes. Stir frequently so it doesn’t stick to the pot.

3. Once the jam is thick, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Add more maple syrup to taste if desired. Enjoy on toast, English muffins, oatmeal, vegan overnight oats, oat bars, tarts, cookies, banana soft serve, smoothies, and more. The jam should keep for at least a week in an air-tight container in the fridge.

IMG 1227 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

IMG 1231 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

IMG 1233 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

A breakfast sandwich sounded like a good idea.

IMG 1241 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Banana slices, sunflower seed butter, and blueberry jam all sandwiched in a toasted English muffin….I couldn’t wait a second longer.

IMG 1243 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

*Poof*…it was gone just like a magic trick.

~~~

We’re off for our flight back home this morning! I think my first meal back will be banana bread oatmeal with blueberry jam & sunbutter to top it all off…yum. And then about a week’s worth of salads because I kinda got off track with the salad-a-day challenge a bit. Whoops.. This last week of June is going to be a leafy one…

Melissa Gillan June 29, 2012

Amazing! Just made a peanut butter and “jelly” smoothie with it, heaven <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2012

mmm great idea :)

Adrienne June 30, 2012

Just made this – delicious! My jam-loving husband thought it was great and definitely didn’t notice the chia seeds– now I can feel good about his daily PB&J knowing he’s getting fiber and protein!

Lauren Deck June 30, 2012

Congratulations! You passed my PB&J loving 3 year olds high standards when it comes to Jelly. He loved this, and I am thrilled to have a healthy alternative to store bought jelly. Thank you :)

Kendra July 1, 2012

I made this jam last night and used half strawberries and half blueberries- its really fantastic!!!!!

Shannon July 1, 2012

Just finished making a batch and it tastes great! Looking forward to spreading it over an english muffin or mixing it in with some yogurt. Also, half of the blueberries I used were from the freezer and it still turned out great! Glad to know I can make it any time of year.

Chelsea July 1, 2012

You inspire me! I’ve been vegetarian for just about 12 years now and have just started the vegan thing a few weeks ago, because I am already lactose intolerant and hate eggs.. so why not just cut out all of the other junk as well! Anyway, I’ve been looking through vegan cookbooks, websites, EVERYTHING and they call for the most crazy ingredients!
I stumbled across one of your recipes while searching for something different to make for dinner, I’m glad I did! I’m on your site all of the time now LOVING YOUR RECIPES! I love your story and I can relate to it..I don’t want to make this too long so I would like to say thank you for sharing your simple and delicious meals for everyone to enjoy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2012

Hey Chelsea, So nice to meet you! Thank you so much for your comment. That means so much to me! Goodluck with your vegan transition. I hope you enjoy many more recipes to come. :)

Lalla Tomelilla July 2, 2012

I have tried it, super delicious!! Thnak you so much for the recipe!
My mom always says that vegan food taste strange, but my raspberries-chia seeds-vanilla-jam was successfull also with her! i didn’t tell her it was a vegan jam LOL :D
kisses from Switzerland

Donna July 2, 2012

Thank you for this. I made it with raspberries and blueberries and YUMMY! Thanks again.

Shannon July 3, 2012

You are a genius.

Shara July 3, 2012

Thank you for such a great recipe! It was super easy and is delicious! I made it to serve for guests and they loved it. Your instructions were spot on and I’m looking forward to making this jam often.

Shara July 9, 2012

Just had to make another batch! This time with diced, very ripe peaches. I added a squirt of lemon juice and it tastes lovely. The color isn’t exactly attractive, but the flavor is great.

Rach July 3, 2012

I made the magical blueberry vanilla chia seed jam this morning, and it really is magical! I love it, and I can’t stop eating it…a spoon full here, a piece of toast there, ice cream, etc… It is incredible!! Thanks for the amazing recipe!!

Jeri July 3, 2012

I totally made this for our camping trip – it was tasty, and everyone appreciated it for breakfast. Totally awesome, and I will be making this regularly! Thank you!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2012

Wow nice work!!!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 3, 2012

Oh my gosh. Angela — you are a GENIUS!!! :D

patricia laverty-rolf July 4, 2012

just made the jam, fresh strawberries from the farmers market, subsituted a bit of lemon juice indtead of vanilla to keep the berries red, yummy the best jam ever!! thank you oh she glows!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2012

Hey Patricia, thats great news! Thanks for sharing. I love the thought of lemon & strawberries…yum.

Theresa July 4, 2012

The chia seeds are a great way to thicken to the consistency of jam. My daughter made this today and it is amazing. Can’t wait to share this with my friends. Delicious!!!

snenny July 5, 2012

Made this to go with baked cake doughnuts for breakfast – so good! I felt proper domestic after making jam ;) Wonderful recipe!

Katie July 5, 2012

Hi there,
I’m just wondering if you tried freezing it and how it worked? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012

Im testing it in the freezer right now and Ill update the recipe as soon as I know :)

Diana Steadman July 5, 2012

Awesome! I just made a blueberry raspberry version and I will be putting it in the freezer. I will let you know how it comes out.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012

Yes please do :)

janet @ the taste space July 6, 2012

Hey Ange, Made this, loved this. I didn’t need as much maple syrup but that could depend on the ripeness of the blueberries. I can’t wait to try variations with different fruits and fillings!

I wrote about it here: Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

janet @ the taste space July 6, 2012
Annyston July 8, 2012

OH. MY. GOODNESS!!!!!! This is soooooooooooo goooood!!! I JUST made it and it’s not going to last very long haha! Even my 5 year old loves it and he doesn’t like jam!!! Thank you for this, it was life changing lol!!

Aimee July 12, 2012

We picked 10 pounds of blueberries this weekend so this recipe was perfect. My 5 year old gives it lots of Mmmmms! I get so frustrated at the supermarket looking at containers of jam all with high fructose corn syrup. This is sweet enough for me and I love knowing exactly what went into it. Thank you so much.

chia seeds July 21, 2012

I like ro using chia seeds to make cold drink, I love chia seeds for everything! This blogs looks fantastic, I’ll have to give it a try!! :)

J July 30, 2012

Made it on the weekend and it is AWESOME! Halved the recipe because I didn’t have enough blueberries and it worked perfectly well. It should work with other types of berries, correct? Should I use the same quantities?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2012

Yes it will work with other berries :) If you check the comments some people have mentioned variations theyve made! I tried blackberries and it too was good. Just needed a touch more sweetener since they were frozen.

Sarah August 2, 2012

This is great news on using chia seeds- thanks for sharing!! I have a few pounds of frozen blueberries a farmer friend gave us, do you think I can use those instead of fresh?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

I tried a batch using frozen blackberries and it worked fine – although I think I had to cook it down much longer. Goodluck!

Karla August 8, 2012

Hi Angela!
Love your blog! Every recipe I make of yours turns out amazing :)
I made this jam the other day, except I used some left-over cherries instead of blueberries – and it is soooo good! Your a genius

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 8, 2012

I made one with cherries last night – we must have been on the same wavelength! Glad you are enjoying it :)

LaurBucks August 12, 2012

Where did you buy your white spoons?
Is it ceramic?

Kristen August 18, 2012

Just made this jam with frozen strawberries and a few nectarines I had to use up. HOLY YUM!! I used date paste to sweeten it. Absolutely delicious. Thanks for a healthy jam recipe! :)

Tofu Mom (Marti) August 18, 2012

So, aside from the fiber in the chia, what would be the advantage here, vs. other thickeners? The heat destroys the Omega 3′s, correct? Not meaning to criticize in ANY way, and maybe it was asked above? I just am not a HUGE fan of chia but do use it on occasion because I like the health benefits – but I had understood those were pretty much null and void if you heated the chia. Just curious. Thanks so much.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2012

Hi Marti, From what I understand, there is some damage to EFA’s when cooking, especially at high heats. If this is a concern for you, you can cook it at a very low heat or even try mixing it and leaving it overnight in the fridge to thicken up on its own. Goodluck!

Christi August 20, 2012

YUM! Trying this today! I love jam but don’t eat it because of the calories and additives. I’m a diabetic and it’s not good for me. Nice to know I can eat my jam again! Can you use agave nectar instead of the maple syrup?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2012

Yes I think that should work fine :)

Lily August 25, 2012

made this tonight with blackberries – turned out great! thanks for the recipe!!! will definitely make again!

beth August 27, 2012

Is it possible to can this in a hot water bath? don’t know if there is enough acidity. maybe add some lemon juice? I’d really appreciate instructions if anyone knows.. so much healthier than the normal canning recipes with tons of sugar and pectin.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2012

Hey Beth, I think someone mentioned in the comments recently that they tried canning it and it worked (so far anyways!) You might want to scan through them to see if anyone has pointers.

Emily August 27, 2012

I made this blueberry jam over the weekend and used it as a topping on your baked oatmeal. It is now my new favorite breakfast item (the baked oatmeal too)! I could (and maybe did…just a little) eat this jam straight from the jar. It was so easy to make that I am going to make some as a favor for my wedding guests next year :)

Laurel August 29, 2012

Wondered if anyone has canned this jam? Do you just do it the same, but then process for about 20 minutes?
Thanks! Looks so good.
Just made apricot chia seed jam, so we will see how that tastes. Used organic cane sugar, as that was the only sweetener in my house!

Brook September 5, 2012

Do you know if you could can this jam using the water bath canning method?
Thanks!

Tanja September 20, 2012

It’s so delicious! Yummy

Vicki September 20, 2012

I have never even heard of chia seeds. Where do you purchase them? I would love to try this recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2012

You can find them in most health food stores or the organic section of some grocery stores. And online! Enjoy

Suzanne Holt September 22, 2012

What a great, healthy, and yummy looking recipe! I can’t wait to try this on an english muffin! Thanks for sharing!

Eve September 22, 2012

Hi. I just found your Web site. Lucky for me since I am a gluten free vegan! I have tried two of your recipes (both delicious) and look forward to making the blueberry jam. I so appreciate your “allergy” claims, it makes it so easy for me with my gluten allergy. One thing I noticed is that you use bananas in your recipes. Unfortunately, I have an allergy to bananas. Do you have a substitute fruit that I can use? In the vegan overnight oatmeal I used maple syrup in place of the banana and it worked out great.

Thank you!
Eve

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2012

Sometimes medjool dates can work as a sub for banana – depends on the recipe of course! But if you need a sub in a smoothie I would try using dates. It wont give it that “soft serve” consistency, but it’s a good alternative in some recipes. Maple syrup – yes that works too! It’s no secret how much I love that sweetener… :)

Megan October 8, 2012

WOAH, WOAH, WOAH! This has got to be the best jam recipe I’ve ever tried. MAGIC is the right word. I made this with a mix of raspberries and blueberries. It made exactly one big jar and is to die for. Love the use of chia seeds – not often you get a low sugar, high fibre, nutritious jam like this. Thanks xoxo

spaceranger October 21, 2012

Hi!

This has become a super important staple in our house. Every weekend I make a batch (or two) of strawberry, and a second batch of either blueberry or raspberry. (I use stevia to sweeten it instead of maple syrup, mostly because I have gestational diabetes.) It’s so easy, yummy and good for us! We use it in smoothies (my fav is strawberry “jam” with raw almonds, water, and stevia blended in a Vitamix), vegan overnight oats, on toast with almond butter for a super easy brekkie, and sometimes with plain yogurt (we aren’t 100% vegan). Thank you for this! I’m about to travel to a couple of thousand miles away to visit family and asked my mom to have some frozen berries on hand so I can whip some up after I get there (the seeds are super easy to bring along). Since developing gestatonal diabetes, this has become my favorite “sweet” and I don’t want to be without it!

Thanks again!