Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

IMG 1238 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Before we left for our trip, I found myself with a couple pints of blueberries and a few spotted bananas to use up. I’ve been meaning to make my strawberry chia seed jam for a while now, so I ended up adapting my recipe using blueberries, all-natural sweetener, and a touch of vanilla. It turned out lovely and was ready in 20 minutes flat!

This is the strawberry chia seed jam that I made a couple years ago:

20101018IMG 7542 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Chia seeds are magic. I love using them as thickeners in all kinds of foods from homemade jam to vegan overnight oats to pasta sauces.

This strawberry chia seed “jam” is a tasty filling for my Healthy Strawberry Oat Squares! You can use any kind of filling that you like in these oat squares. They remind me a lot of a healthy nutri-grain bar.

20101018IMG 7576 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

This is not a traditional jam recipe by any means, but then again I’m not one for following traditions all that often when it comes to food. Instead of using white sugar, I used maple syrup to lightly sweeten the berries. The maple and vanilla extract do a great job of bringing out the flavours in the blueberries without overpowering them. Chia seeds thicken the mixture nicely while adding a tasteless burst of nutrition in every bite.

If you’ve got 20 minutes, you can make this jam. It’s a snap. All you do is add blueberries and a touch of maple syrup into a pot. Bring it to a low boil and then reduce it to simmer for about 5 minutes or so. Then stir in the chia seeds and simmer it for another 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently until it’s as thick as you desire.

IMG 1210 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Before adding the chia seeds, the blueberries will be quite watery.

IMG 1213 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Have no fear chia is here!

After adding in the chia seeds and cooking the mixture down, it thickens up beautifully! Hence, the name – magical jam. You won’t believe your eyes how thick this gets. Thanks to the chia seeds, we’re also pumping up the jam with all kinds of healthy omega fats, iron, fibre, protein, magnesium, and calcium. Who knew jam could be so healthy?

IMG 1216 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Enjoy this on toast, oatmeal, vegan overnight oats, thumbprint cookies, tarts, in smoothies, and so much more. Also, feel free to try this out with any seasonal fruit you wish.

IMG 1224 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Adapted from my strawberry chia seed jam.

Yield: ~ 1 cup

Ingredients:

• 3 cups fresh blueberries
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup, to taste (or other liquid sweetener)
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. In a medium-sized non-stick pot, bring the blueberries and 3 tbsp of maple syrup to a low boil. Stir frequently, and reduce heat to low-medium to simmer for about 5 minutes. Lightly mash the blueberries with a potato masher or fork, leaving some for texture.

2. Stir in the chia seeds until thoroughly combined and cook the mixture down until it thickens to your desired consistency, or about 15 minutes. Stir frequently so it doesn’t stick to the pot.

3. Once the jam is thick, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Add more maple syrup to taste if desired. Enjoy on toast, English muffins, oatmeal, vegan overnight oats, oat bars, tarts, cookies, banana soft serve, smoothies, and more. The jam should keep for at least a week in an air-tight container in the fridge.

IMG 1227 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

IMG 1231 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

IMG 1233 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

A breakfast sandwich sounded like a good idea.

IMG 1241 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Banana slices, sunflower seed butter, and blueberry jam all sandwiched in a toasted English muffin….I couldn’t wait a second longer.

IMG 1243 thumb   Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

*Poof*…it was gone just like a magic trick.

~~~

We’re off for our flight back home this morning! I think my first meal back will be banana bread oatmeal with blueberry jam & sunbutter to top it all off…yum. And then about a week’s worth of salads because I kinda got off track with the salad-a-day challenge a bit. Whoops.. This last week of June is going to be a leafy one…

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes June 26, 2012

Great recipe!! Homemade jam is just the best! This looks divine and your pictures are stunning!

Erin June 27, 2012

Can you think of any tropical fruits to make this with? I don’t have strawberries or blueberries at my disposal!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

banana and mango? haha. It probably wouldn’t be quite the same with banana in there though.

Erin June 27, 2012

But have you ever heard of Monkey Butter? It’s banana, pineapple and coconut and sugar. Sounds potentially delicious and in need of health-ifying!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

No I haven’t but it sounds interesting!

Kayla June 27, 2012

wow… all of your creations always look so darn delicious!

Annie June 27, 2012

This looks delicious! I love the texture of chia seeds. Have you tried the chia kombucha yet?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

No I haven’t but that sounds right up my alley :)

Sarah June 27, 2012

This looks amazing! I make the Strawberry Chia Jam from Brendan Braziers book and slather it on everything from buckwheat pancakes to homemade biscuits (and yes – I sometimes eat it directly from the jar with a spoon!). Looking forward to trying the blueberry variety. I love your blog Angela. Keep the great recipes coming!! Excited for your recipe book!

Sue Clough June 27, 2012

Angela,
This looks delish! I wanted to tell you my friends and I have been doing the salad a day challenge for June. We even started our own facebook page where we post our pictures and share our recipes. Love it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Glad to hear that Sue!

Brandi June 27, 2012

This looks SOOO delicious! It also looks rather easy to make!!

Nidia June 27, 2012

This looks devine!!! Just text myself the recipe! I am doing before the weekend for sure!!

Tam June 27, 2012

I sent this recipe to my mom and she suggested replacing the syrup with dates. Apparently if you soak fresh dates for a few minutes then liquidise them into sweet paste it’s a great alternative to sugar.

Angela what do you think?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Great minds think alike…I was thinking about trying a date version too. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work!

Sarah June 28, 2012

I use soaked-dates in my strawberry chia jam. I soak them overnight, then drain and rinse. They last in the fridge, in a sealed container, for about a week. I use them to sweeten my morning smoothies as well!

Shannon June 27, 2012

I’m going blueberry picking this weekend, so this is going to be a perfect way to use up all the fresh berries!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt June 27, 2012

I am going to make this for my mother. It looks delicious, and I love how there aren’t many ingredients involved.

Robyn June 27, 2012

Smart, smart, smart!! MAKing….<3

Hailey June 27, 2012

All I have to say is that you are amazing. :-)

And I’ve been doing really well with the salad-a-day challenge and I feel better, my clothes fit better, someone at work actually asked if I was losing weight…wonderful! Thank you so much for the motivation to make myself healthier!

Cathy Lewis June 27, 2012

Just got done making this! Amazing! I may try making it a bit thinner and using it as a pancake topping, yum. Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

A pancake topping is a great idea :) Glad you enjoyed it!

Sarah jamieson June 27, 2012

Hi!
Question on your strawberry bars. When you say reserve 1/2 cup of the mixture is that before or after you at the liquids? Do you reserve half of the dry then add the liquid to the remainder or mix the liquid into all of the dry then reserve half a cup. Just curious!
Thanks!
Sarah

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Hey Sarah, It’s after mixing everything. You reserve half of it so you can sprinkle it on top before baking. Does that make sense?

Laura and Denise June 27, 2012

I have never tried using chia seeds in anything but I think this recipe convinced me! I really love jam but I am always wary of the sugar content and preservatives in most store bought varieties. Jam always seemed more life a sweet treat but not anymore with this recipe!
Seriously Angela, you are so creative in the kitchen!! I can’t wait until your book comes out!
Just curious are you still doing the newsletter thing?

Jordan June 27, 2012

Wow, this is such an answer for me! I love making jams and jellies, but just recently cut out sugar (and gluten/dairy/meat/corn) completely and have been thinking about ways to make jam more health-conscious. Thank you for the inspiration!

Elizabeth June 27, 2012

I just made this with blueberry/blackberry combo and you are a genius. I’m trying it with fresh peaches from my farmers market next.

Sarah jamieson June 27, 2012

Thanks Angie! Makes sense.

adrienne June 27, 2012

Genius! Making this today :)

Becky @ From Ministry to Motherhood June 27, 2012

This will be my Saturday afternoon project. I have to get to the market first to find my berries! It looks so good and so healthy. Thanks for sharing. :)

Nick June 27, 2012

Great blog and I have a few clients who will be interested in this so thank you.

Many thanks
Nick

Erica June 27, 2012

Brilliant idea, I can’t wait to try it out with all kinds of fruits!

Adriana Perciballi June 27, 2012

Hi Angela and thank you for all the great recipes and stories! I also love making my own jelly and jam and thought I was the only one that thought to add the vanilla ~ silly me. I can’t wait to try the chia seeds which I will be buying this weekend. The vanilla adds such a nice subtle flavor. Thank you for sharing ~ Adriana

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2012

I agree…I add vanilla to pretty much anything! hah

Alex @ Raw Recovery June 27, 2012

Perfect timing Angela! I have a ton of blueberries that need to be eaten ASAP. My boyfriend is in town and I think I’m going to surprise him with this for breakfast :)

Linda June 27, 2012

Your pics make me want to make some right now!! I use chia seeds on my cereal but never thought to use in a jam recipe….brilliant!!!

Sheelee June 27, 2012

I hope you don’t mind I add your blog to my list of blogs to follow? You are an incredible inspiration and your recipes are fantastic!

Question: is L-cysteine always non-vegetarian, or can it be vegan? For example, I thought the pies from Mcdonald’s were vegan, as they list no eggs or milk…but they are made of l-cysteine and I’m not exact sure what this consists of. Thank you =)

Susan June 27, 2012

I love blueberries and I love jam so am totally keen to try this natural lower sugar option! BTW – I made your potato burritos today and they were delicious – a keeper for sure! Keep the delicious recipes and creativity coming!

Brittany @ Eating Bird Food June 27, 2012

I love chia seed jam! The blueberry, maple syrup and vanilla combo sounds delicious. :)

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings June 27, 2012

Wow, I (a) want to make this jam asap and (b) am going to use whatever jam I have currently to make that banana, jam, butter sandwich tomorrow morning. Looks so mouth watering!

Kate June 27, 2012

I have found so much inspiration on your sites, and for that I am deeply thankful. I’ve had so much fun trying your recipes, like this one above. Can’t wait to try the batch I made this evening on an english muffin in the morning! A million thanks!
- Kate

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2012

Thank you Kate, Im so happy to hear that! Enjoy :)

Lesley June 28, 2012

Looks amazing. I used chia seeds for a chocolate pudding and it is quite magical to see the transformation from runny to just right! :)

Leah June 28, 2012

This looks SO good! Any idea if I can put this into sterilized jars and can it so it keeps all winter? Right now I make a jam recipe that uses berries, sucanat, honey, and green apples for the pectin to thicken, it goes into sterilized jars, and then into a boiling water bath in the canner for 5 minutes, and I have jars of jam that keep all year. Do you think I could do the same with this recipe? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2012

Hey Leah, That is a great question and Ive wondered it myself! I have no prior experience with canning so I wouldn’t be able to say for sure. Maybe someone else has tried it and can give us their advice!

Karen July 11, 2012

I’m going to give it a go over the next few weeks. I’ll be out picking bilberries in August, so will have a crack at it and let you know how it goes.

Sharon June 28, 2012

Made this yesterday, thank you SO much!! It took hardly anytime to make and it is a winner in our house. Chia seeds to thicken is unreal, thank you:))

Teri {a foodie stays fit} June 28, 2012

Chia seeds in anything with liquid usually totally gross me out – they just get so slimy in the chia puddings and smoothies! But I think this is one I could handle! It would be just like raspberry seeds. :) I’m gonna try it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2012

yea I found that they reminded me of rasp seeds too. I didnt find it overly slimy!

Heather June 28, 2012

would stevia work instead of maple syrup?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2012

can’t see why not :)

Alex @ fightcancerwithfood June 29, 2012

I was about to ask whether the chia added a slime-factor, but that comment ^^ answered it for me! Plus, I guess jam is fairly slippery anyway so it would be less noticeable. I made jam last year with agar agar flakes, but I’m definitely trying a chia version this summer, thanks for the idea!

Erin June 29, 2012

Can this jam be canned in a traditional waterbath? I’d love to make some and I love the idea of thickening it with chia seeds. I’ve been canning strawberry jam this year for the first time and using a low/no sugar pectin and a small amount of Sucanat. This recipe sounds amazing.

Celina June 29, 2012

I think this just changed my LIFE! Lol, okay that sounds a bit dramatic but seriously what a fabulous recipe for easy jam! And by the way, Angela, I love your blog and amazing recipes :)

Willow June 29, 2012

You are a wealth of brilliant ideas, Angela! Love the idea of adding chia seeds to thicken (and pump up the nutrition) of jam. Sounds delicious!

Page 3 of 6«12345»...Last »