Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

IMG_1238

Before we left for our trip, I found myself with a couple pints of blueberries and a few spotted bananas to use up. I’ve been meaning to make my strawberry chia seed jam for a while now, so I ended up adapting my recipe using blueberries, all-natural sweetener, and a touch of vanilla. It turned out lovely and was ready in 20 minutes flat!

This is the strawberry chia seed jam that I made a couple years ago:

20101018IMG_7542

Chia seeds are magic. I love using them as thickeners in all kinds of foods from homemade jam to vegan overnight oats to pasta sauces.

This strawberry chia seed “jam” is a tasty filling for my Healthy Strawberry Oat Squares! You can use any kind of filling that you like in these oat squares. They remind me a lot of a healthy nutri-grain bar.

20101018IMG_7576

This is not a traditional jam recipe by any means, but then again I’m not one for following traditions all that often when it comes to food. Instead of using white sugar, I used maple syrup to lightly sweeten the berries. The maple and vanilla extract do a great job of bringing out the flavours in the blueberries without overpowering them. Chia seeds thicken the mixture nicely while adding a tasteless burst of nutrition in every bite.

If you’ve got 20 minutes, you can make this jam. It’s a snap. All you do is add blueberries and a touch of maple syrup into a pot. Bring it to a low boil and then reduce it to simmer for about 5 minutes or so. Then stir in the chia seeds and simmer it for another 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently until it’s as thick as you desire.

IMG_1210

Before adding the chia seeds, the blueberries will be quite watery.

IMG_1213

Have no fear chia is here!

After adding in the chia seeds and cooking the mixture down, it thickens up beautifully! Hence, the name – magical jam. You won’t believe your eyes how thick this gets. Thanks to the chia seeds, we’re also pumping up the jam with all kinds of healthy omega fats, iron, fibre, protein, magnesium, and calcium. Who knew jam could be so healthy?

IMG_1216

Enjoy this on toast, oatmeal, vegan overnight oats, thumbprint cookies, tarts, in smoothies, and so much more. Also, feel free to try this out with any seasonal fruit you wish.

IMG_1224

Magical Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Adapted from my strawberry chia seed jam.

Yield: ~ 1 cup

Ingredients:

• 3 cups fresh blueberries
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup, to taste (or other liquid sweetener)
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. In a medium-sized non-stick pot, bring the blueberries and 3 tbsp of maple syrup to a low boil. Stir frequently, and reduce heat to low-medium to simmer for about 5 minutes. Lightly mash the blueberries with a potato masher or fork, leaving some for texture.

2. Stir in the chia seeds until thoroughly combined and cook the mixture down until it thickens to your desired consistency, or about 15 minutes. Stir frequently so it doesn’t stick to the pot.

3. Once the jam is thick, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Add more maple syrup to taste if desired. Enjoy on toast, English muffins, oatmeal, vegan overnight oats, oat bars, tarts, cookies, banana soft serve, smoothies, and more. The jam should keep for at least a week in an air-tight container in the fridge.

IMG_1227

IMG_1231

IMG_1233

A breakfast sandwich sounded like a good idea.

IMG_1241

Banana slices, sunflower seed butter, and blueberry jam all sandwiched in a toasted English muffin….I couldn’t wait a second longer.

IMG_1243

*Poof*…it was gone just like a magic trick.

~~~

We’re off for our flight back home this morning! I think my first meal back will be banana bread oatmeal with blueberry jam & sunbutter to top it all off…yum. And then about a week’s worth of salads because I kinda got off track with the salad-a-day challenge a bit. Whoops.. This last week of June is going to be a leafy one…

1 avocadoandbasil June 26, 2012

Hi Angela, I’ve been silently following your blog for some time. You’ve inspired me towards a largely plant based way of eating, and I am feeling so much better for it, thank you! And this jam looks amazing, I’ll certainly be giving it a try.

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Thank you, I’m so happy to hear that! Hope you enjoy the jam.

3 Danielle June 26, 2012

This looks delicious! Any idea of how well it would freeze? I have a bunch of blueberries in my fridge right now and worried I won’t use them up before vacation.

4 Anna G June 26, 2012

I have the same question :)

5 Janae @ Bring-Joy June 26, 2012

I’d also like to know… :)

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Good Q! I’m wondering the same. I’m not sure as I haven’t frozen it before, but now that I’m home I will try it out and see. I will update the recipe when I find out.

7 Beth July 9, 2012

A little late in noticing this … but if nothing else freezing the blueberries before making the jam is always an option (until you have time to make it). I made this jam with previously frozen blueberries and it turned out wonderfully. I used it as a topping for a tart and sweetened it with agave nectar instead of maple syrup. It was my first time cooking with Chia seeds and I’m very glad to have tried it! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us :-)

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Im curious also, so I wil test that now that im back home. Ill update the recipe!

9 Amanda August 15, 2012

I made a quadruple batch of this the end of July with raspberries my husband and I picked at a near-by farm. I kept one pint in the fridge and froze the rest in pint portions. We flew through the first pint (omg, so yummy, and I love how little sugar there is!!!) and I took one out of the freezer a couple of days ago to thaw in the fridge. Ate some this morning in my oatmeal, and it’s wonderful! So, I would say this recipe makes a great freezer jam! Can’t wait to try it with some other fruits!

10 Allie December 16, 2012

This post made my day, I was going to add lemon, but I might freeze out instead :) anyone have any opinions on adding lemon?

11 Philip April 21, 2014

Allie,
citrus is high in pectin and works well as a setting agent for jams. You can make your own pectin from unripened citrus, however, the chia is by far a more nutritious way to thicken your jams/jellies without the need to add sweetener.

12 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } June 26, 2012

I’m dragging the boyfriend to a blueberry farm this weekend to pick our own – we’ll definitely be making this! I’m also trying to eat more chai seeds since I keep hearing how amazing they are so this is just perfect :)

13 Victoria @ Green Plate Rule June 26, 2012

I love using chia seeds to make jam…actually, I love chia seeds for everything! This one looks fantastic, I’ll have to give it a try!! :)

14 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 26, 2012

Girl, you are GENIUS! I saw a pint o’ blueberries at the farmers market last weekend and didn’t know what I’d do with all of them and here you are giving me the nudge I need. Blueberry english muffin, here I come!

15 Zita June 26, 2012

Oh My! This is amazing! I will definitely try it. I’m planing to make it from blackberry!

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

That would be great :)

17 Georgina June 26, 2012

Angela, this is marvelous! I’ve made freezer and traditional jams in the past. Though I loved them, I know now that those recipes have way too much white sugar. I love how fresh and quick this chia jam looks. I will certainly be trying it with the strawberries we just picked! :) By the way, I didn’t have a chance to write back but I tried the layered raw taco salad, and it was fantastic! http://ohsheglows.com/2012/06/12/layered-raw-taco-salad-for-two/

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

I’m glad you enjoyed it!!

19 Dawn June 26, 2012

This looks amazing, any ideas on a different sweetner? I cannot use maple syrup, would Splenda work?

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

I think you could use any sweetener you want probably. I dont have any experience using splenda but I cant see why it wouldnt work too. My original strawberry jam recipe used dry sweetener.

21 Karen July 11, 2012

You could try blackstrap molasses (excellent with cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg) for a dark, rich taste, or homemade date syrup for something lighter – both highly nutritious. Until I saw Dr Greger’s short video on sweeteners, I’d thought maple syrup, agave nectar, and brown rice syrup were healthy, and was shocked to find that they’re pretty much empty calories. Blackstrap molasses and dates, though, are not just great sweeteners, they’re amazingly nutritious.

22 Chris June 26, 2012

I am so excited to try this! Looks delicious.

23 Beks June 26, 2012

Could you use frozen? I don’t make jam that often, so I really don’t know, but I really want to try this.

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Someone else commented below that they used frozen blueberries and it worked. :)

25 Ellen Allard (Gluten Free Diva) June 26, 2012

This is nothing short of brilliant. I can’t wait to give it a try! I can see I’m going to have to order more chia seeds! Well worth it!

26 SusanF June 26, 2012

This looks amazing and easy enough to get my 13 year old son into the kitchen to help me out with this. Thanks!

27 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe June 26, 2012

What a fantastic idea to thicken up a jam with chia seeds! Genius!

28 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 26, 2012

Mmmm that sandwich looks so good! I’m not really a huge jam girl but I really like the idea of using it as a vehicle for chia seeds!! If you’re near a David’s Tea at all, go in and try (or at least) smell their Blueberry Jam tea…. it’s lovely and would probably pair very nicely with your sandwich! :)

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

bluebery jam tea?? I’m all over that… :)

30 Cait's Plate June 26, 2012

I love the idea of adding chia seeds! I bet it makes it so nice and thick!

31 Jennifer @ kidoing! June 26, 2012

This is genius! I have tons of blueberries in the fridge and love to make low-sugar jams for the kids. Excellent use of chia!

32 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition June 26, 2012

This reminds me of my grandma’s homemade jam : )

33 Ronja @ a dash of faith June 26, 2012

I was just thinking about trying to find a healthy jam recipe. This definitely fits the bill! I love the idea of using chia seeds to thicken the jam; makes me feel good about eating it.

34 DaNelle June 26, 2012

Love this idea! Amazing! I’ve been following your blog for a long time!

35 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) June 26, 2012

Chia jam is one if my all time favorite things to make! I love how easy it is to mix up a quick healthy topping for my oats, pancakes, waffles and toast! People are always shocked that it doesn’t have gelatin in it. I have some cherries that need to be used up…I’m thinking it’s time to make some jam!

36 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries June 26, 2012

chia seeds truly are magical, aren’t they? i am definitely pinning this to make later this week!

37 Sara June 26, 2012

I can’t wait to try this, I am on my last jar of homemade blueberry jam from last week and was wondering how i could make it more “naturally” so this is perfect timing! I am 8 months pregnant and have been cutting out a marjority of my processed foods, meat and sugar and boy do i feel good! Needless to say your blog has been a blessing for me over the past few months so THANK YOU!

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Thank you Sara! Congrats on your pregnancy :)

39 Cathy June 26, 2012

This looks heavenly. You continue to amaze me with your creativity using Chia seeds. Thank you so much.

40 Claire June 26, 2012

This looks delicious- you just can’t beat chia seeds! Now I want to try this in a blueberry pie-ish dessert. :)

41 Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures June 26, 2012

Chia seeds make everything better! I will have to add this to my list of recipes to make for brunch one day.

42 Suzie June 26, 2012

I too love chia seeds and sneak them into almost every dish! Haha :) But this is such a great way of using them, let a lone sounds and looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.

43 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 26, 2012

I completely forgot about chia jam! This looks so good. I just picked up a bunch of peaches that would make a rocking’ jam… Maybe with some ginger?

44 bumpkin August 30, 2013

Peach ginger sounds scrumptious. One of my faves is peach-banana. Fig is also an eye-roller- and naturally sweet. Just add a touch of lemon for the contrast. Oh, yum!

45 Red Deception June 26, 2012

Yes please! I love jam, and this is PERFECT for making it more nutritious! I am excited about making this with raspberries.

46 Kathryn June 26, 2012

how have I not made overnight oats yet this summer?!? Special weekend breakfast with some yummy jam! Can’t wait. Have a beautiful day!

47 rq June 26, 2012

How long does this keep while refrigerated? Normal jam seems to last quite awhile, is it similar?

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

It has lasted 1 week in my fridge so far and its still going strong. I would expect 2+ weeks, but I will update the recipe when I know.

49 Kayla Moothart June 26, 2012

This looks amazingly delicious! I AM going to try this soon… i just need to get my hands on some berries! :)

50 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 26, 2012

Oh my gawsh this is the BEST idea ever. Enjoy your flight home!

51 Anie June 26, 2012

Yum… I feel like this jam is a requirement in my life!!

52 Jacqueline June 26, 2012

YUM! Such a good way to use chia seeds! And that breakfast sandwich looks out-of-this-world ridiculous! I’m thinkin’ I’ll have to crank out the recipe and a copy-cat sandwich of yours for breakfast tomorrow.

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Hope you enjoy it!

54 Angela@veggievinyasa June 26, 2012

So simple and sounds so delicious!

55 Janae @ Bring-Joy June 26, 2012

There’s a blueberry u-pick farm close to where we live & I’ll be taking my kids there this week. This is a great recipe to do after our little excursion. I too, love those little amazing chia seeds!

56 rensje June 26, 2012

Hey Angela! I made some jam yesterday ( little redberries i do not know the name in english) and it is sooooo liquid. Do you think i can reheat it and add the chia seeds then? I might just try it and see what will happen. Thanks for the idea!

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Yes I think you probably could try that. It thickens things quite well.

58 Moni Meals June 26, 2012

What a great recipe to have for the season of summer. I know for fact I’ll need to get rid of some berries at some point and fast too! you weren’t kidding, this looks so easy and hello…very delicious too!

59 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 26, 2012

oh yes, that would definitely qualifiy as magical! it looks so delicious! yummmm!

60 Diane June 26, 2012

I’m so excited to have seen this – chia seeds for thickener – brilliant :) And, I’m about to make plum jam today with plums from our trees. Great photos!

61 Beth @ Tasty Yummies June 26, 2012

WOW what a brilliant idea. I cannot wait to get blueberries at the farmers market this weekend and make this! Thanks so much for another great recipe!

62 Isabelle June 26, 2012

That looks suuuuuuuuuuper yummy and so easy to make.
Thanks Angela, can’t wait to try !!
Isa

63 Danielle June 26, 2012

This recipe has made me cry.

When I was at “blueberries”, my eyes became misty. Then, at “chia seeds”, tears were rolling down my cheeks. Then, at “vanilla”, I broke down and cried.

64 Lacey June 26, 2012

Think I could use Raspberries for this instead??

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

I can’t see why not!

66 kendra July 7, 2012

I made raspberry and its wonderful!

67 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 26, 2012

I am so pinning this!! Love this idea!

68 Fi @ sparklingsnowflake June 26, 2012

That’s incredible! Is the finished texture quite bitty though? Or do the seeds soften enough that you don’t notice? And how well do you think it would stand up to being blended to make a smooth jam?

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

I dont mind the seeds in there and yes you do notice them. I would suggest using ground chia seed if you dont want the seeds in there.

70 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 26, 2012

Yum! I’ve been meaning to try a chia seed jam. I’m so impressed with how much it thickens! Loooooove blueberries too :D

71 Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 26, 2012

I’m going berry picking next weekend and wanted to make my own jam from what I pick. Because I can’t handle white sugar I decided to make my own, naturally sweetened jam and was looking around for a good recipe. Love that this one includes chia seeds and uses whole sweeteners. Thank you! I’m pinning it as we speak :).

72 Christa @ Edible Balance June 26, 2012

I LOVED your strawberry version last year, can’t wait to make this jam! Never will I buy it at the store again, what’s the point when I can make this deliciousness?! I honestly can’t get enough of chia seeds either, so versatile!

Enjoy your last few moments in Calgary!

73 Averie @ Averie Cooks June 26, 2012

this is perfect! love the easy jam-making method and no pectin needed; just…chia seeds! It’s amazing how thick they make things (and keep on making it thicker in my experience even a day or two later…chia seed pudding is super thick on day 3 compared to day 1 when stored in my fridge, at least for me). Wondering if the jam keeps on getting a bit thicker as time passes or if it levels off?

Either way…it looks fabulous!

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

It seemed to level off :) But if you stopped cooking it while it was still thinned out, I’m sure it would thicken up in the fridge.

75 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 26, 2012

I love it! I don’t normally use much jam because it’s always high in sugar. And I find only using a little jam is boring – but this is awesome and you could seriously lather it up! Drool!

76 Kalee June 26, 2012

Can you hand me a tissue? My mouth is watering.

77 Laura @ My Pink Thumb June 26, 2012

This is brilliant!!! :)

78 Crissie June 26, 2012

Oh, your timing is epic. I had a huge bowl of blueberries that I needed to hurry up and do something with. I just finished doing this! What didn’t fit into my mason jar is going into a cake in a few minutes. Thanks for this brilliant recipe!

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Glad the timing was right! I bet it’s great spread onto a layer of cake…yum. Enjoy Crissie.

80 Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) June 26, 2012

I can’t wait to try this! How long do you think it would last in the fridge? Also SunButter is on super sale at the Loblaw’s stores in Toronto! AND they have a crunchy version, I haven’t tried it yet but I imagine its amazing!

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Its lasted 1 week in my fridge so far and its still going strong. I expect it will last at least 2 weeks or possibly longer. I will update my recipe when I know :)

82 Christina June 26, 2012

Oh this looks amazing!! What a simple recipe and low in calories for the most part. I’ll be making a spin on this soon :)

83 Katie June 26, 2012

Nicely done!

84 Heather (Heather's Dish) June 26, 2012

so beautiful! i love homemade jam – totally worth it!

85 Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 26, 2012

Yummm! I love jam, but I really don’t like mine too sweet. I love that this is simple but allows for lots of customization :)

86 Nadiya @ Milk and Honey June 26, 2012

Amazing idea! Most commercialy bought jams are so high in sugar and random additives, this recipe is so simple and pure. Will definetely try this once I get more blueberries :D

87 Lia June 26, 2012

That’s such a good idea! I just got a bunch of chia seeds from my mom for my birthday, and I love jam, but not the high sugar content of it. This is just wonderful, thanks!

88 Joey June 26, 2012

Do you know how long this might keep in the fridge for – would it be the same as non-chia jam do you reckon?

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

It’s last a week so far in my fridge and still going strong. I will update when as I go :) I expect 2 weeks or possibly longer.

90 Anu June 26, 2012

Oh my God! I want to try this NOW!
Buying blueberries tomorrow. So simple and beautiful.

I love it!

91 Stefania @ Revitalize with Stefania June 26, 2012

OMG, I might never buy overpriced, organic but still sugary jam again!

92 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers June 26, 2012

Yummy! Sounds great.

93 Melissa June 26, 2012

That looks so darn yummy! I have been stalking your blog for a while and you have the best recipes!

94 Kelsey June 26, 2012

These jams look amazing! I have been thinking about making a chia jam with all of the amazing fruit that’s in season and you’ve given me a great recipe to try– thanks!

95 Lauren June 26, 2012

I love making jam! It’s so much healthier than what you find in the store. Do you think this would work with frozen blueberries?

96 Somer June 26, 2012

You really are a magical jam genius!

97 Somer June 27, 2012

I made mini jars of this today with mini jars of your kitchen sink nut butter to give out as gifts to 3 girlfriends who have birthdays this month. Nothing like a loaf of homemade whole wheat bread with fancy nut butter and jam!

98 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe June 26, 2012

This looks awesome Angela! So magical (and healthy)! And I love that it takes such a short time to prepare!

99 Dennis Blair @ Fort Collins Personal Trainer June 26, 2012

Oh man. It’s been YEARS since we have used chia seeds. What a great idea!

100 Alicia @ Treble Tart June 26, 2012

Oh this jam looks incredible!! I am so excited to try it, it’s not even funny.

101 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 26, 2012

I made my own raspberry jam last summer using a traditional recipe and I liked that it was homemade without added ingredients, but I still wished that it was lower in sugar. Berries are sweet on their own – they don’t need it! I definitely need to try your version this summer. :)

102 Nicole June 26, 2012

Love this idea! Last summer I made blueberry jam – I added a small amount of OJ instead of any sugar. It actually thickened up enough to use for toast. Can’t wait to add chia!

103 Sarah @ Learning to Feed Yourself June 26, 2012

This recipe is awesome! Is it difficult to find chia seeds in stores?

104 Noelle (@singerinkitchen) June 26, 2012

YUM!!! I want that for breakfast tomorrow!

105 Jena June 26, 2012

This looked so good, I had to make it tonight! I “cheated” and used frozen blueberries since that’s all I had. Soooo good! Thanks, Angela!
Jena

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Hey Jena,
Aw I was wondering if frozen bklueberries would work, thanks for letting me know! Did the cooking time differ at all and did you thaw them before use?

107 Jena June 27, 2012

Nope, they were still frozen. I still simmered them for 5 minutes. It probably just took longer for mine to start to simmer…maybe another 5 minutes for that.

108 Claire de la Lune June 26, 2012

This looks lovely! I’m surprised to say I’ve never heard of chia seeds though– where are they from/what’s their history in cooking? And where does one obtain them?

109 luv what you do June 26, 2012

I never would have thought to put chia seeds in my jam, but I bet the consistantcy is perfect!

110 FoodFeud June 26, 2012

Gonna! This looks so great. Love blueberries AND chias.

111 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes June 26, 2012

Great recipe!! Homemade jam is just the best! This looks divine and your pictures are stunning!

112 Erin June 27, 2012

Can you think of any tropical fruits to make this with? I don’t have strawberries or blueberries at my disposal!

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

banana and mango? haha. It probably wouldn’t be quite the same with banana in there though.

114 Erin June 27, 2012

But have you ever heard of Monkey Butter? It’s banana, pineapple and coconut and sugar. Sounds potentially delicious and in need of health-ifying!

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

No I haven’t but it sounds interesting!

116 Kayla June 27, 2012

wow… all of your creations always look so darn delicious!

117 Annie June 27, 2012

This looks delicious! I love the texture of chia seeds. Have you tried the chia kombucha yet?

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

No I haven’t but that sounds right up my alley :)

119 Sarah June 27, 2012

This looks amazing! I make the Strawberry Chia Jam from Brendan Braziers book and slather it on everything from buckwheat pancakes to homemade biscuits (and yes – I sometimes eat it directly from the jar with a spoon!). Looking forward to trying the blueberry variety. I love your blog Angela. Keep the great recipes coming!! Excited for your recipe book!

120 Sue Clough June 27, 2012

Angela,
This looks delish! I wanted to tell you my friends and I have been doing the salad a day challenge for June. We even started our own facebook page where we post our pictures and share our recipes. Love it!

121 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Glad to hear that Sue!

122 Brandi June 27, 2012

This looks SOOO delicious! It also looks rather easy to make!!

123 Nidia June 27, 2012

This looks devine!!! Just text myself the recipe! I am doing before the weekend for sure!!

124 Tam June 27, 2012

I sent this recipe to my mom and she suggested replacing the syrup with dates. Apparently if you soak fresh dates for a few minutes then liquidise them into sweet paste it’s a great alternative to sugar.

Angela what do you think?

125 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Great minds think alike…I was thinking about trying a date version too. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work!

126 Sarah June 28, 2012

I use soaked-dates in my strawberry chia jam. I soak them overnight, then drain and rinse. They last in the fridge, in a sealed container, for about a week. I use them to sweeten my morning smoothies as well!

127 Shannon June 27, 2012

I’m going blueberry picking this weekend, so this is going to be a perfect way to use up all the fresh berries!

128 Erin @ The Grass Skirt June 27, 2012

I am going to make this for my mother. It looks delicious, and I love how there aren’t many ingredients involved.

129 Robyn June 27, 2012

Smart, smart, smart!! MAKing….<3

130 Hailey June 27, 2012

All I have to say is that you are amazing. :-)

And I’ve been doing really well with the salad-a-day challenge and I feel better, my clothes fit better, someone at work actually asked if I was losing weight…wonderful! Thank you so much for the motivation to make myself healthier!

131 Cathy Lewis June 27, 2012

Just got done making this! Amazing! I may try making it a bit thinner and using it as a pancake topping, yum. Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe.

132 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

A pancake topping is a great idea :) Glad you enjoyed it!

133 Sarah jamieson June 27, 2012

Hi!
Question on your strawberry bars. When you say reserve 1/2 cup of the mixture is that before or after you at the liquids? Do you reserve half of the dry then add the liquid to the remainder or mix the liquid into all of the dry then reserve half a cup. Just curious!
Thanks!
Sarah

134 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Hey Sarah, It’s after mixing everything. You reserve half of it so you can sprinkle it on top before baking. Does that make sense?

135 Laura and Denise June 27, 2012

I have never tried using chia seeds in anything but I think this recipe convinced me! I really love jam but I am always wary of the sugar content and preservatives in most store bought varieties. Jam always seemed more life a sweet treat but not anymore with this recipe!
Seriously Angela, you are so creative in the kitchen!! I can’t wait until your book comes out!
Just curious are you still doing the newsletter thing?

136 Jordan June 27, 2012

Wow, this is such an answer for me! I love making jams and jellies, but just recently cut out sugar (and gluten/dairy/meat/corn) completely and have been thinking about ways to make jam more health-conscious. Thank you for the inspiration!

137 Elizabeth June 27, 2012

I just made this with blueberry/blackberry combo and you are a genius. I’m trying it with fresh peaches from my farmers market next.

138 Sarah jamieson June 27, 2012

Thanks Angie! Makes sense.

139 adrienne June 27, 2012

Genius! Making this today :)

140 Becky @ From Ministry to Motherhood June 27, 2012

This will be my Saturday afternoon project. I have to get to the market first to find my berries! It looks so good and so healthy. Thanks for sharing. :)

141 Nick June 27, 2012

Great blog and I have a few clients who will be interested in this so thank you.

Many thanks
Nick

142 Erica June 27, 2012

Brilliant idea, I can’t wait to try it out with all kinds of fruits!

143 Adriana Perciballi June 27, 2012

Hi Angela and thank you for all the great recipes and stories! I also love making my own jelly and jam and thought I was the only one that thought to add the vanilla ~ silly me. I can’t wait to try the chia seeds which I will be buying this weekend. The vanilla adds such a nice subtle flavor. Thank you for sharing ~ Adriana

144 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2012

I agree…I add vanilla to pretty much anything! hah

145 Alex @ Raw Recovery June 27, 2012

Perfect timing Angela! I have a ton of blueberries that need to be eaten ASAP. My boyfriend is in town and I think I’m going to surprise him with this for breakfast :)

146 Linda June 27, 2012

Your pics make me want to make some right now!! I use chia seeds on my cereal but never thought to use in a jam recipe….brilliant!!!

147 Sheelee June 27, 2012

I hope you don’t mind I add your blog to my list of blogs to follow? You are an incredible inspiration and your recipes are fantastic!

Question: is L-cysteine always non-vegetarian, or can it be vegan? For example, I thought the pies from Mcdonald’s were vegan, as they list no eggs or milk…but they are made of l-cysteine and I’m not exact sure what this consists of. Thank you =)

148 Susan June 27, 2012

I love blueberries and I love jam so am totally keen to try this natural lower sugar option! BTW – I made your potato burritos today and they were delicious – a keeper for sure! Keep the delicious recipes and creativity coming!

149 Brittany @ Eating Bird Food June 27, 2012

I love chia seed jam! The blueberry, maple syrup and vanilla combo sounds delicious. :)

150 Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings June 27, 2012

Wow, I (a) want to make this jam asap and (b) am going to use whatever jam I have currently to make that banana, jam, butter sandwich tomorrow morning. Looks so mouth watering!

151 Kate June 27, 2012

I have found so much inspiration on your sites, and for that I am deeply thankful. I’ve had so much fun trying your recipes, like this one above. Can’t wait to try the batch I made this evening on an english muffin in the morning! A million thanks!
– Kate

152 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2012

Thank you Kate, Im so happy to hear that! Enjoy :)

153 Lesley June 28, 2012

Looks amazing. I used chia seeds for a chocolate pudding and it is quite magical to see the transformation from runny to just right! :)

154 Leah June 28, 2012

This looks SO good! Any idea if I can put this into sterilized jars and can it so it keeps all winter? Right now I make a jam recipe that uses berries, sucanat, honey, and green apples for the pectin to thicken, it goes into sterilized jars, and then into a boiling water bath in the canner for 5 minutes, and I have jars of jam that keep all year. Do you think I could do the same with this recipe? Thanks!

155 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2012

Hey Leah, That is a great question and Ive wondered it myself! I have no prior experience with canning so I wouldn’t be able to say for sure. Maybe someone else has tried it and can give us their advice!

156 Karen July 11, 2012

I’m going to give it a go over the next few weeks. I’ll be out picking bilberries in August, so will have a crack at it and let you know how it goes.

157 Sharon June 28, 2012

Made this yesterday, thank you SO much!! It took hardly anytime to make and it is a winner in our house. Chia seeds to thicken is unreal, thank you:))

158 Teri {a foodie stays fit} June 28, 2012

Chia seeds in anything with liquid usually totally gross me out – they just get so slimy in the chia puddings and smoothies! But I think this is one I could handle! It would be just like raspberry seeds. :) I’m gonna try it!

159 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2012

yea I found that they reminded me of rasp seeds too. I didnt find it overly slimy!

160 Heather June 28, 2012

would stevia work instead of maple syrup?

161 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2012

can’t see why not :)

162 Alex @ fightcancerwithfood June 29, 2012

I was about to ask whether the chia added a slime-factor, but that comment ^^ answered it for me! Plus, I guess jam is fairly slippery anyway so it would be less noticeable. I made jam last year with agar agar flakes, but I’m definitely trying a chia version this summer, thanks for the idea!

163 Erin June 29, 2012

Can this jam be canned in a traditional waterbath? I’d love to make some and I love the idea of thickening it with chia seeds. I’ve been canning strawberry jam this year for the first time and using a low/no sugar pectin and a small amount of Sucanat. This recipe sounds amazing.

164 Celina June 29, 2012

I think this just changed my LIFE! Lol, okay that sounds a bit dramatic but seriously what a fabulous recipe for easy jam! And by the way, Angela, I love your blog and amazing recipes :)

165 Willow June 29, 2012

You are a wealth of brilliant ideas, Angela! Love the idea of adding chia seeds to thicken (and pump up the nutrition) of jam. Sounds delicious!

166 Melissa Gillan June 29, 2012

Amazing! Just made a peanut butter and “jelly” smoothie with it, heaven <3

167 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2012

mmm great idea :)

168 Adrienne June 30, 2012

Just made this – delicious! My jam-loving husband thought it was great and definitely didn’t notice the chia seeds– now I can feel good about his daily PB&J knowing he’s getting fiber and protein!

169 Lauren Deck June 30, 2012

Congratulations! You passed my PB&J loving 3 year olds high standards when it comes to Jelly. He loved this, and I am thrilled to have a healthy alternative to store bought jelly. Thank you :)

170 Kendra July 1, 2012

I made this jam last night and used half strawberries and half blueberries- its really fantastic!!!!!

171 Shannon July 1, 2012

Just finished making a batch and it tastes great! Looking forward to spreading it over an english muffin or mixing it in with some yogurt. Also, half of the blueberries I used were from the freezer and it still turned out great! Glad to know I can make it any time of year.

172 Chelsea July 1, 2012

You inspire me! I’ve been vegetarian for just about 12 years now and have just started the vegan thing a few weeks ago, because I am already lactose intolerant and hate eggs.. so why not just cut out all of the other junk as well! Anyway, I’ve been looking through vegan cookbooks, websites, EVERYTHING and they call for the most crazy ingredients!
I stumbled across one of your recipes while searching for something different to make for dinner, I’m glad I did! I’m on your site all of the time now LOVING YOUR RECIPES! I love your story and I can relate to it..I don’t want to make this too long so I would like to say thank you for sharing your simple and delicious meals for everyone to enjoy!

173 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2012

Hey Chelsea, So nice to meet you! Thank you so much for your comment. That means so much to me! Goodluck with your vegan transition. I hope you enjoy many more recipes to come. :)

174 Lalla Tomelilla July 2, 2012

I have tried it, super delicious!! Thnak you so much for the recipe!
My mom always says that vegan food taste strange, but my raspberries-chia seeds-vanilla-jam was successfull also with her! i didn’t tell her it was a vegan jam LOL :D
kisses from Switzerland

175 Donna July 2, 2012

Thank you for this. I made it with raspberries and blueberries and YUMMY! Thanks again.

176 Shannon July 3, 2012

You are a genius.

177 Shara July 3, 2012

Thank you for such a great recipe! It was super easy and is delicious! I made it to serve for guests and they loved it. Your instructions were spot on and I’m looking forward to making this jam often.

178 Shara July 9, 2012

Just had to make another batch! This time with diced, very ripe peaches. I added a squirt of lemon juice and it tastes lovely. The color isn’t exactly attractive, but the flavor is great.

179 Rach July 3, 2012

I made the magical blueberry vanilla chia seed jam this morning, and it really is magical! I love it, and I can’t stop eating it…a spoon full here, a piece of toast there, ice cream, etc… It is incredible!! Thanks for the amazing recipe!!

180 Jeri July 3, 2012

I totally made this for our camping trip – it was tasty, and everyone appreciated it for breakfast. Totally awesome, and I will be making this regularly! Thank you!!!!!

181 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2012

Wow nice work!!!

182 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 3, 2012

Oh my gosh. Angela — you are a GENIUS!!! :D

183 patricia laverty-rolf July 4, 2012

just made the jam, fresh strawberries from the farmers market, subsituted a bit of lemon juice indtead of vanilla to keep the berries red, yummy the best jam ever!! thank you oh she glows!

184 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2012

Hey Patricia, thats great news! Thanks for sharing. I love the thought of lemon & strawberries…yum.

185 Theresa July 4, 2012

The chia seeds are a great way to thicken to the consistency of jam. My daughter made this today and it is amazing. Can’t wait to share this with my friends. Delicious!!!

186 snenny July 5, 2012

Made this to go with baked cake doughnuts for breakfast – so good! I felt proper domestic after making jam ;) Wonderful recipe!

187 Katie July 5, 2012

Hi there,
I’m just wondering if you tried freezing it and how it worked? Thanks!

188 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012

Im testing it in the freezer right now and Ill update the recipe as soon as I know :)

189 Diana Steadman July 5, 2012

Awesome! I just made a blueberry raspberry version and I will be putting it in the freezer. I will let you know how it comes out.

190 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012

Yes please do :)

191 janet @ the taste space July 6, 2012

Hey Ange, Made this, loved this. I didn’t need as much maple syrup but that could depend on the ripeness of the blueberries. I can’t wait to try variations with different fruits and fillings!

I wrote about it here: Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam

192 janet @ the taste space July 6, 2012
193 Annyston July 8, 2012

OH. MY. GOODNESS!!!!!! This is soooooooooooo goooood!!! I JUST made it and it’s not going to last very long haha! Even my 5 year old loves it and he doesn’t like jam!!! Thank you for this, it was life changing lol!!

194 Aimee July 12, 2012

We picked 10 pounds of blueberries this weekend so this recipe was perfect. My 5 year old gives it lots of Mmmmms! I get so frustrated at the supermarket looking at containers of jam all with high fructose corn syrup. This is sweet enough for me and I love knowing exactly what went into it. Thank you so much.

195 chia seeds July 21, 2012

I like ro using chia seeds to make cold drink, I love chia seeds for everything! This blogs looks fantastic, I’ll have to give it a try!! :)

196 J July 30, 2012

Made it on the weekend and it is AWESOME! Halved the recipe because I didn’t have enough blueberries and it worked perfectly well. It should work with other types of berries, correct? Should I use the same quantities?

197 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2012

Yes it will work with other berries :) If you check the comments some people have mentioned variations theyve made! I tried blackberries and it too was good. Just needed a touch more sweetener since they were frozen.

198 Sarah August 2, 2012

This is great news on using chia seeds- thanks for sharing!! I have a few pounds of frozen blueberries a farmer friend gave us, do you think I can use those instead of fresh?

199 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

I tried a batch using frozen blackberries and it worked fine – although I think I had to cook it down much longer. Goodluck!

200 Karla August 8, 2012

Hi Angela!
Love your blog! Every recipe I make of yours turns out amazing :)
I made this jam the other day, except I used some left-over cherries instead of blueberries – and it is soooo good! Your a genius

201 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 8, 2012

I made one with cherries last night – we must have been on the same wavelength! Glad you are enjoying it :)

202 LaurBucks August 12, 2012

Where did you buy your white spoons?
Is it ceramic?

203 Kristen August 18, 2012

Just made this jam with frozen strawberries and a few nectarines I had to use up. HOLY YUM!! I used date paste to sweeten it. Absolutely delicious. Thanks for a healthy jam recipe! :)

204 Tofu Mom (Marti) August 18, 2012

So, aside from the fiber in the chia, what would be the advantage here, vs. other thickeners? The heat destroys the Omega 3’s, correct? Not meaning to criticize in ANY way, and maybe it was asked above? I just am not a HUGE fan of chia but do use it on occasion because I like the health benefits – but I had understood those were pretty much null and void if you heated the chia. Just curious. Thanks so much.

205 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2012

Hi Marti, From what I understand, there is some damage to EFA’s when cooking, especially at high heats. If this is a concern for you, you can cook it at a very low heat or even try mixing it and leaving it overnight in the fridge to thicken up on its own. Goodluck!

206 Christi August 20, 2012

YUM! Trying this today! I love jam but don’t eat it because of the calories and additives. I’m a diabetic and it’s not good for me. Nice to know I can eat my jam again! Can you use agave nectar instead of the maple syrup?

207 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2012

Yes I think that should work fine :)

208 Lily August 25, 2012

made this tonight with blackberries – turned out great! thanks for the recipe!!! will definitely make again!

209 beth August 27, 2012

Is it possible to can this in a hot water bath? don’t know if there is enough acidity. maybe add some lemon juice? I’d really appreciate instructions if anyone knows.. so much healthier than the normal canning recipes with tons of sugar and pectin.

210 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2012

Hey Beth, I think someone mentioned in the comments recently that they tried canning it and it worked (so far anyways!) You might want to scan through them to see if anyone has pointers.

211 Emily August 27, 2012

I made this blueberry jam over the weekend and used it as a topping on your baked oatmeal. It is now my new favorite breakfast item (the baked oatmeal too)! I could (and maybe did…just a little) eat this jam straight from the jar. It was so easy to make that I am going to make some as a favor for my wedding guests next year :)

212 Laurel August 29, 2012

Wondered if anyone has canned this jam? Do you just do it the same, but then process for about 20 minutes?
Thanks! Looks so good.
Just made apricot chia seed jam, so we will see how that tastes. Used organic cane sugar, as that was the only sweetener in my house!

213 Brook September 5, 2012

Do you know if you could can this jam using the water bath canning method?
Thanks!

214 Tanja September 20, 2012

It’s so delicious! Yummy

215 Vicki September 20, 2012

I have never even heard of chia seeds. Where do you purchase them? I would love to try this recipe!

216 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2012

You can find them in most health food stores or the organic section of some grocery stores. And online! Enjoy

217 Suzanne Holt September 22, 2012

What a great, healthy, and yummy looking recipe! I can’t wait to try this on an english muffin! Thanks for sharing!

218 Eve September 22, 2012

Hi. I just found your Web site. Lucky for me since I am a gluten free vegan! I have tried two of your recipes (both delicious) and look forward to making the blueberry jam. I so appreciate your “allergy” claims, it makes it so easy for me with my gluten allergy. One thing I noticed is that you use bananas in your recipes. Unfortunately, I have an allergy to bananas. Do you have a substitute fruit that I can use? In the vegan overnight oatmeal I used maple syrup in place of the banana and it worked out great.

Thank you!
Eve

219 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2012

Sometimes medjool dates can work as a sub for banana – depends on the recipe of course! But if you need a sub in a smoothie I would try using dates. It wont give it that “soft serve” consistency, but it’s a good alternative in some recipes. Maple syrup – yes that works too! It’s no secret how much I love that sweetener… :)

220 Megan October 8, 2012

WOAH, WOAH, WOAH! This has got to be the best jam recipe I’ve ever tried. MAGIC is the right word. I made this with a mix of raspberries and blueberries. It made exactly one big jar and is to die for. Love the use of chia seeds – not often you get a low sugar, high fibre, nutritious jam like this. Thanks xoxo

221 spaceranger October 21, 2012

Hi!

This has become a super important staple in our house. Every weekend I make a batch (or two) of strawberry, and a second batch of either blueberry or raspberry. (I use stevia to sweeten it instead of maple syrup, mostly because I have gestational diabetes.) It’s so easy, yummy and good for us! We use it in smoothies (my fav is strawberry “jam” with raw almonds, water, and stevia blended in a Vitamix), vegan overnight oats, on toast with almond butter for a super easy brekkie, and sometimes with plain yogurt (we aren’t 100% vegan). Thank you for this! I’m about to travel to a couple of thousand miles away to visit family and asked my mom to have some frozen berries on hand so I can whip some up after I get there (the seeds are super easy to bring along). Since developing gestatonal diabetes, this has become my favorite “sweet” and I don’t want to be without it!

Thanks again!

222 Jessica November 24, 2012

I made this jam for Thanksgiving brunch! It was so amazing. My whole family loved it, and I’ve been putting it on everything ever since. I will be making this regularly now. Thanks so much!!! YUM!

223 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

Thats awesome to hear Jessica!

224 Lily December 3, 2012

made this in the summer with freshly picked blackberries and it was amazing. best jam ever. I think I actually sweetened it with raw honey instead of maple syrup. I want to try making it with frozen berries to have a healthier jam year-round.

225 petit4chocolatier December 9, 2012

This looks so delicious!!

226 Allie December 15, 2012

So would this work for citrus fruits and if so would I still simmer them down? I want to make jams for christmas, but with berries being out of season, they are too pricey… any suggestions?

227 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2012

thats a great question, I am not sure! Please let me know if you try it.

228 Brooke January 4, 2013

Does water need to be added to the pot of blueberries and maple syrup to bring it to a boil? If so…how much?

229 kellie eggers January 8, 2013

i want to try this without cooking the berries for a raw version. I’ll have to work on it!

230 Dariana January 8, 2013

Heya…excellent recipe…now I am looking for a nice and simple waffle recipe to use it on?! Wonder if you could help me?! I live in UK and they not as popular here as in USA?

Please, help…xxxx

Dariana

231 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 8, 2013

Hi there, I might have a waffle recipe in my blog archives…I would just do a search in the search box on the sidebar. goodluck!

232 Briana January 28, 2013

That English muffin looks like the best breakfast EVER!!!!!
I just made the jam and started licking it off the spoon :) It’s very good and without any added sugar, which I love.
I’m hoping to make the cashew almond butter tonight as well!!!

233 Jess GB January 28, 2013

Hello! This is my first comment on your blog! Just wanted to say that I had some blackberries in the fridge and I remembered seeing that recipe. I just made it, it tastes so great and it was pretty quick to make! Thanks for the recipe, great way to include chia seeds in my diet!

234 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

So glad to hear that Jess! Thanks for your comment :)

235 amanda January 28, 2013

OMG this is amazing! Mine is still on the stove cooling down but I cant stop dipping my finger in for more!! Thanks for this idea!!

236 Sarah February 1, 2013

So did this end up freezing ok??

237 paul mizzi February 24, 2013

made mind this morning for my wife for breakfast cantaloupe pairs to go along with some sprouted bread very nice

238 Adrienne March 9, 2013

Angela, what an amazing idea! I am a vegetarian/ near-vegan (in the middle of transitioning to full vegan) and my boyfriend (once a full on meat eater) is now a near-vegetarian and very open to vegan food. The recipes from your blog have a big part in this – thank you! We made this jam yesterday with mixed berries and cherries and oh my goodness! AMAZING! Thank you so much for the recipe! We’re never buying Jam again!

239 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2013

I’m so happy you enjoyed it!! Thanks for letting me know :)

240 Casey March 13, 2013

Mmmm just made this tonight using blueberries, and I added the juice from a lime…. Yummmmmmers! It worked out so well ;)

241 Katie March 25, 2013

I realize this is about a bazillion years late on the post – and I have to add, I’ve been reading your blog for YEARS, and have yet to comment. But I have to know. Tell me more about chia seeds in pasta sauce!! I just bought my first batch and prepared some chia pudding for the morning, but I’m wondering what else to do with them besides the usual.

242 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Hey Katie! Thanks for your comment :) Nothing makes me happier than when I see someone is commenting for the first time! hah. Anyway, I suggest checking out my chia seed recipes here (be warned there are a lot!) : http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?search_term=chia%20seed&ui=133 enjoy

243 Julia March 26, 2013

I don’t have chia seeds, but this looks delicious and I would like to know if there is any other way to thicken the jam? Thanks! :)

244 Donna June 29, 2013

Hey Julia!…I was wondering the same thing…they CAN be difficult to locate here in France…although when I actually FIND chia seeds this recipe is killer!…The absolute BEST freezer jam possible on every front…retention of color..texture…taste…healthy than healthy…and a bonafide staple, go-to recipe in our home.

I am thinking…perhaps in error…as I haven’t tried…but PSYLLIUM FLAKES just might do the trick as a thickening agent…I have just discovered this ingredient at one of the épiceries “bio” here in the Lyon region…and use it to thicken soups, sauces and smoothie concoctions…

If indeed this “works” …I will report back…The glycemic index, calorie and fat content would be greatly reduced for those concerned with these issues!

245 The merrymaker sisters March 28, 2013

WOW…this just looks amazing. We will definitely be giving the jam a go! e & c

246 Elske April 17, 2013

Wow, this looks delicious! Never seen before, but I’ll try it really soon.

247 Kara May 8, 2013

Just made this with strawberries!! There was a sale and I figured it was the perfect time to try it! Turned out sooo deliciously…why did I ever buy jam again?? :) Thanks for the recipe!

248 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

I love it made with strawberries too!! I added a vanilla bean the last time and omggg…..so good!

249 Lorelei May 20, 2013

OMG! This IS totally magical. I made some awesome batches of jam this past week using chia seeds instead of pectin. Blueberry elderflower marmalade; spiced blueberry hibiscus jam; and blueberry lime gin jam. My friends are amazed at the taste, and I’m thrilled with the chia seeds. Thanks so much for sharing!

250 Jenny June 1, 2013

I might of missed if this was already mentioned but any idea if this recipe could be canned?

251 Sarah June 12, 2013

Do you think you could can this? It sounds so delicious!!

252 Steph June 26, 2013

Easy and delicious! Just made some, and with frozen blueberries too – it worked out fine!
Thanks for the lovely recipe

253 Nikki June 28, 2013

I just made this with pluots and cherries. SO YUMMY!

254 EyeCandyPopper July 4, 2013

I have just finished making my strawberry-rhubarb jam with maple syrup and chia seeds instead of gelatin, all proud of myself for being so clever, when I decided to go online and found this! haha Oh well. So much for my creativity. I guess great minds think alike?! ;)

255 Andrea July 5, 2013

Made it this morning and it was the best jam I’ve ever had- even my toddler loved it on his toast!!!!

256 Kelly S. July 25, 2013

I just made this today after picking loads of fresh blueberries yesterday. I doubled the batch and used honey instead of maple syrup. I also doubled the amount of sweetner (gasp!), which is still way less than traditional recipes, and I added some cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves to spice it up a little as well as the juice of a lemon. I canned it and it turned out beautifully and is delicious!!! Thank you for the great idea and recipe!

257 Jordan August 12, 2013

This is amazing! Your recipes are so creative and delicious looking. I came to your blog almost every day when I first went vegan. Keep it up. :)

258 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2013

Thanks Jordan!

259 Nickelle August 17, 2013

I don’t mean to sound stupid here but it says to bring blueberries to a boil which I should think is difficult without water. Are we added water? And if so, how much?

260 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2013

Oops, maybe that should say simmer? They are supposed to simmer I guess. Finding the right work can be tricky, but as they cook the blueberries break down and water does release.

261 Devin September 12, 2013

Hey I am wondering that if I use mason jars do they need to be sterilized and sealed like other jams ? Or just close tightly and use within one week and/or freeze ?

262 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2013

I don’t sterilize my jars when I store in the fridge – the jam tends to last for 2-4 weeks in the fridge. hope this helps!

263 Alycia October 26, 2013

I made this with frozen cherries and coconut sugar. It’s fabulous!!! So many uses. My fav so far is on a piece of toasted GF bread with almond butter mmmmmmmm.

264 Kim Hames November 19, 2013

Hey I looking to use the Blueberry Jam recipe to make Christmas Jam gifts this year. Have you ever doubled, tripled the recipe? I want to know if it works.

265 Sarah January 8, 2014

Hi Angela :)
I read somewhere that you shouldn’t ever heat chia seeds, because it makes the fats go rancid and/or destroys a significant amount of the amazing nutrients they contain…
Do you know if this is true and if so, could you stir the chia seeds into a cold blueberry mixture?
I love this blog :)

266 Nancy February 21, 2014

I want to make this for my boyfriend the thing is he’s in the military so when I’d have to ship it to where he’s stationed so I was wondering if it can last 3 or 4 days without being refrigerated.

267 Jayne March 14, 2014

Was all ready to make this tonight… Bought my blueberries in ready and then realised what I thought were chia seeds were actually hemp seeds. Don’t suppose they would work the same? Otherwise I will have to wait to try the jam until I buy some chia.

268 David McNally March 30, 2014

Thanks for the inspiration. We made it in 20 minutes and it tastes great on homemade bread.

269 Christina April 19, 2014

I had an epiphany this morning that I could totally make a raw jam with chia and some blended berries of some sort. Then a few minutes ago I was looking for a vegan recipe with oats and it was complete serendipity that I came across this recipe. How cool is that. Thanks for the recipe. :)

270 Greg April 22, 2014

Love this recipe. Today I modified it as carrot cake jam. I used 1 1/2 cups chopped pears, 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot, 1 14 oz can organic crushed pineapple, then added maple strip, vanilla and chia seeds along with cinnamon and nutmeg. Worked great. Thanks for the inspiration.

271 Jessica Fig May 31, 2014

Oh my goodness was this wonderful! And so easy to make! I just had some on sprouted wheat toast. I will have to start experimenting with other fruit for chia seed jams. Looking forward to topping my VOO with this tomorrow… And maybe an almond butter or sunflower seed butter and jam sandwich will soon follow ;)

272 Darkane June 4, 2014

Hi, the jam is pretty good but I am not a fan of feeling the crunch of the chia seeds. They do not get soft enough to my taste after cooking. Did I miss something or is it supposed to turn out this way?

273 Tara July 10, 2014

Can this be made using other berries? Say raspberries? Would you follow the same steps?

274 Beth July 29, 2014

Since chia seeds picking on their own, I’m wondering… do they need to be cooked?

275 Caroline July 31, 2014

This jam was a joy to make and to eat! Thank you Angela :)

276 Michelle August 15, 2014

Hey Angela,
I’ve made this jam a few times now with a few variations and it’s worked great each time. I have a plum tree that is about to give me ton of plums and was hoping to make up some batches and can the jam for holiday gifts… Do you think it would work? Any modifications I should consider?
Thanks!
Michelle

277 Christina August 17, 2014

Great jam- just made some with raspberries we picked yesterday! Wondering if you’ve tried using ground chia seeds? Saw them at Bulk Barn and wasn’t quite sure if it thickens the same. The jam tasted great but had a very seedy texture due to the seeds & chia- would ground chia soften the texture at all? Thanks! Oh and did you try freezing it yet? Others had said it would work but wasnt sure how long for! THanks!!

278 Joannie August 20, 2014

It IS magical! I left it cooking longer – almost 25 minutes – because I like my jam real thick, but I found it also thickens a little when you put it in the fridge after. My boyfriend loved it and I adored it on my toasts this morning. Soooo good, the taste is just perfect.

279 Hannah Temple August 26, 2014

I have a question! Do you think I could combine the same ingredients into a good processor instead of putting heat on it? Thank you!

280 Caro September 16, 2014

Think I’m gonna do these for our company outing next week. :)

281 Caro September 16, 2014

Oops, wrong page. :) I meant the Raspberry Chia Seed Jam Oat Crumble Squares. This happens when you have to many OSG tabs open…

282 Melissa October 9, 2014

Hello! Love your blog, and your cookbook! Thanks so much for sharing your journey online.

I’m wondering, do you think this jam could be sealed in a mason jar? Do you think it would last? Thinking about Christmas gifts.

283 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 10, 2014

Hi Melissa,

I’m glad you are liking the recipes. Unfotunately the jam will not can well, maybe only a couple weeks in the fridge.

284 Ann October 10, 2014

Do you think I would be able to “can” this jam?

285 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 10, 2014

Hi Ann,

Unfotunately these won’t can well. The high amount of sugar in regular jam is what makes it shelf stable.

286 diann November 5, 2014

i am about 2 years too late with this recipe, but could it be canned (processed in a water bath) & kept out on a shelf? it looks so good!

287 Amanda December 23, 2014

I’m giving this away for christmas! Although I made strawberry as that was what my mother had most of at home :p
But really excited to whip up another batch for just the family to enjoy, my mum for some reason have a ton of waffle mix at home!
Thanks for great healthy recipes!

288 bex December 30, 2014

Excellent flavor! Most jam recipes call for so much sugar but this is decently healthy with the small amount of sweetener in it. Also gave this as a gift and the recipients loved it too.

289 Debbie March 25, 2015

Did not work was a waste of my berries

290 Kylie Keppler April 17, 2015

Hello, we are a blueberry nursery looking to share blueberry recipes with the readers of our blog! May we share a photo and link to this recipe? Let me know, thank you!

291 Lesli April 19, 2015

What a great recipe! I have eliminated jam from my life (mostly!) Sometimes I really miss it, like when I’m enjoying some homemade almond butter. So nice to have a more healthful jam now that is delicious too! Thanks much!

292 miranda May 16, 2015

Hi,
I am just wandering how long this jam will keep in the fridge for?
Thanks

293 Monique May 26, 2015

Hi Angela, I really love all of your recipes, but I just made this one and it has got to be, hands down, my absolute favourite! I don`t really eat a lot of jam, but when I want some, I never have it because I just don`t eat enough to warrant making or buying a jar. Now I can make some when I want it and it`s so quick and easy and I LOVE blueberries (made it with frozen ones). So thank you once again for a recipe that works every day and makes life just that much easier. :-)

294 Nancy DePutter July 23, 2015

Angela, I love your blog and your cookbook- your recipes are delicious, really healthy and always reliable. I am relatively new to vegan cooking, so am delighted to see the abundance of really fine recipes out there!
I have a question regarding chia seeds. In the blueberry jam recipe I used whole seeds, but the jam is ‘seedy’. Should I have ground them first, or is this the texture of the jam? In recipes that call for chia, it is assumed it is the whole seed unless stated? Thanks so much. Nancy

295 Lorna July 26, 2015

Greetings from California!
I just love your recipe book. I just picked it up at Costco and can’t stop flipping through the recipes. They all look so good! Tonight I made your Magic Jam. I didn’t have any strawberries, so I used ripe pluot from the tree. Wow, was that good! I can’t wait to experiment with more fruit! Thank you so much!

296 Michelle September 30, 2015

My last batch went to waste, I made this and stored it outside for some silly reason, perhaps my brain was way wired with my exams and was not thinking straight! Well before it the left overs went moldy, I was so happy with it! My dad and his wife also loved it! Off to make some more for my lunch tomorrow! It’s going to be paired with some yummy homemade almond butter in a sandwich, half a cantaloupe, a banana, and your chickpea poppers! Yummy school lunches thanks to you! Can’t think of eating at the cafeteria! Plus every food joint near a college is just so unhealthy and don’t offer enough vegan options ):

297 Lois Jeanne October 26, 2015

Hi Angela. I just made this wonderful jam for the second time. This time I added the zest from one lemon to the cooking blueberries and I think it added a wonderful brightness to the jam. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes and inspiration.

298 Isabella Andersen October 31, 2015

I just made this and am letting it cool right now! I cannot wait to try it. I kept tasting it as it was cooking, and it tasted fabulous. I think I’ll be taking PB&J sandwiches to work all week!

299 Linda November 29, 2015

I love this jam and I would like to make some to give as gifts. Do you know if thsi can be canned using the hot water bath method?

300 Irene January 30, 2016

Can you process this jam to keep it longer? Does it freeze well?

301 Jadzia February 1, 2016

Made this tonight to go on pancakes and it was Awesome!
I’m SOS free so I just left out the sweetener, and it was heavenly :)
I made a half batch and used raspberry because that’s what I had, and tastes better than any store bought version :)
Delicious and so simple, thanks Angela :)

302 Adrienne August 23, 2016

I have TONS of blackberries and wanting to make this jam. How would I preserve the jam?? Water bath? Freeze??

Thanks in advance!

303 Angela Liddon August 25, 2016

Hi Adrienne, I’ve found chia jam freezes really well!

304 Judith Ross September 18, 2016

Can I make the blueberry chia jam with frozen blueberries?

305 Angela Liddon September 19, 2016

I don’t see why not! I believe a few readers have reported they had success with frozen blueberries. :)

306 Dry Fruit October 13, 2016

Great holiday idea… helps beat all those sugary treats.