The June Salad-A-Day Challenge Kick-Off! Plus, 5 More Reader Favourite Salad Recipes

IMG 3219   The June Salad A Day Challenge Kick Off! Plus, 5 More Reader Favourite Salad Recipes

[Beet, Apple, and Orange Salad in a Homemade Raspberry Vinaigrette]

Despite the torrential downpour we are getting this morning, fun things are going down…

It’s June 1st.

Friday.

And it’s also the kick-off of the June Salad-A-Day Challenge, also know as the month that many of us will amp up our veggie intake, crank out some amazing salads, and renew our energy during the last month of spring. I’m absolutely thrilled by your response to this challenge. I’m not sure if I would be successful doing this challenge on my own, but I know with your enthusiasm it shouldn’t be very hard.

In spirit of kicking things off, here are another 5 favourite salad recipes. The beauty of many of these recipes is that one recipe makes a few servings so you can enjoy them for a few days and save on prep time as well. Or share with your family members! Don’t feel like your salad has to be completely different and extravagant everyday, but if you want to do that you can too. How the challenge works is completely up to YOU. Most of all, have fun with it.

Don’t forget to check out 6 more salad recipes in Monday’s post. Keep your eyes peeled next week for a new salad recipe inspired by one of my favourite vegan restaurants.

1) Citrus Beet Salad with Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing (plus a trick for roasting beets)

IMG 7967   The June Salad A Day Challenge Kick Off! Plus, 5 More Reader Favourite Salad Recipes

Beets are anti-inflammatory, rich in antioxidants, support detoxification, and are high in folate, manganese, fibre, potassium, vitamin C, iron, and more. [source] A handful of reasons to dig in! Feel free to add nuts, seeds, and grains if you want to give this salad a boost.

IMG 7953   The June Salad A Day Challenge Kick Off! Plus, 5 More Reader Favourite Salad Recipes

2) Over the Rainbow Salad with Lemon-Tahini Dressing (plus an easy trick for preparing cabbage)

IMG 5549   The June Salad A Day Challenge Kick Off! Plus, 5 More Reader Favourite Salad Recipes

This salad made me feel so good…I was doing a happy dance in the kitchen. It was just the right mix of veggies, healthy fats, protein, and carbs to keep my energy buzzing along. As a former cabbage hater, this salad completely surprised me! I hope it surprises you too.

3) Back on Track Wheat berry and Bean Salad

IMG 7694 thumb   The June Salad A Day Challenge Kick Off! Plus, 5 More Reader Favourite Salad Recipes

This is my go-to healthy salad “secret weapon” that I make whenever I need a nutritional boost. Not only is
it one of the most popular salad recipes on the blog, but it’s a personal favourite as well. You can have fun changing it up too. See this version for a fun twist.

4) Avocado-Lime Black Bean Salad

IMG 9396   The June Salad A Day Challenge Kick Off! Plus, 5 More Reader Favourite Salad Recipes

I fell in love with this quick and easy black bean salad as soon as I tasted it. The hint of lime and spicy kick from the cumin makes for a delicious and healthy salad full of protein, healthy fats, and flavour. It’s great mashed up a little and thrown into a wrap too.

5) Asparagus and Potato Salad

IMG 6191   The June Salad A Day Challenge Kick Off! Plus, 5 More Reader Favourite Salad Recipes

This is not your average potato salad drenched in mayonnaise and served cold. Instead, it’s served warm and lightly coated with an irresistible chive, dill, and green onion dressing.

It is nice alongside Our Perfect Veggie Burgers too.

IMG 6224   The June Salad A Day Challenge Kick Off! Plus, 5 More Reader Favourite Salad Recipes

How you can join in:

- Blog about the challenge and post pics & recipes of your salads throughout the month of June.

- Tweet, Pin, Facebook, and/or Instagram your salad creations using the hashtag: #saladaday

- leave me a comment and let me know how you are doing!

- encourage your friends, coworkers, and family members to take part too.

Ashley @ Simple Craves & Olive Oil June 1, 2012

I am in love with this idea!! I made My Perfect Summer Salad to kick it off :) It’s a raspberry mango salad with a lemon olive oil & chia seed dressing. Sooo yummy and healthy! I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Natalie June 1, 2012

That creamy avocado lime dressing looks to die for! I need new dressing recipe ideas for this salad challenge, I started early and am already bored with my ideas :) Definitely going to try yours!

Lia June 1, 2012

You know, sometimes I forget that salads can be things like the black bean and avocado one you’ve got going on. I like your variety and the denseness of some of these. I’m excited!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 1, 2012

Ooh I really want to try that Citrus Beet Salad. I LOVE beets in salads – I don’t know why I’m okay with them in salads but not really anywhere else but it’s true. I stay away from them most of the time, then I see them in a salad and I’m all over ‘em. Go figure!

Jess June 1, 2012

I just made the asparagus and potato salad and it is AMAZING. In fact, the best potato salad I’ve ever eaten in my life, hands down.
Between your recipes, and Kathy Freston’s book “Veganist”, I don’t have ONE single reason to not be vegan, so as of today I’m going all the way. Thank you for your incredible recipes. You have really made me feel like I can do this and not only will I not miss a thing, but my food world will open up in wondrous ways. I am so excited!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

Hey Jess, congrats on your decision! I hope you continue to enjoy the recipes :)

jude June 1, 2012

Posting photos of my actual salads each day: http://pinterest.com/pin/172896073165007187/

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

great idea :)

Stacy June 1, 2012

Kicked it off with the Detox Salad recipe. Wow!! I can never eat raw broccoli or cauliflower because of the texture but pulsing it in the food processor is pure genius! This may be my new potluck salad (a whole lot of cub scouts and their parents are about to be subject to it tomorrow!).

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats June 1, 2012

Oh my thank you so much for posting these salads! I’d forgotten about your outstanding Asparagus and Potato salad! I made it twice last year for picnics and couldn’t get over how amazing it was! Definitely adding it to my list of recipes to make this month.

Kathleen June 1, 2012

I’m in! Had a salad for lunch and my 16 yo had one for dinner today. Will get my 17 & 19 yos on board tomorrow! Fun challenge!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

awesome to hear!

Somer June 2, 2012

I just kicked off the challenge by making a new dressing, Miso Cashew Ranch! It’s at the end of this post http://goodcleanfood.wordpress.com/2012/06/02/thin-crust-sriracha-bbq-tofu-and-moxerella-pizza/ Yeah for salads!

K June 2, 2012

I actually started a salad-a-day challenge myself about a month ago! (Around the same time I was introduced to your website) As an active bulimic I have found that it has helped me stop the daily binge/purge cycles almost completely. I’m not in a place where I can cook for myself or keep food in the house but the salad-a-day routine is a simple and effective way for me to commit daily to a healthy endeavour that involves food. I love your work. Thank you for sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

Im glad to hear salads have helped you stay positive and feel good. goodluck with your recovery!

Jasper {crunchylittlebites} June 2, 2012

does an over the rainbow salad lead to an emerald city salad?

Chanara Greene June 2, 2012

Thanks for starting this Angie! I am excited to eat more veggies this month and see how much more energized I feel! Hopefully I can put together some amazing salads like yours:)

Tara June 2, 2012

Wow! These salads look yummy! I try to eat a salad daily but it’s usually just a typical salad. I am excited to try some of the ones you’ve posted! Do you sent out e-mails with a link to your posts? If do, I want to receive them. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

yup! you can find my RSS and email feeds on the right hand of my page near the top (where the twitter, facebook icons are)

Tara June 2, 2012

Thanks for the fast response. i just signed up!

Ann June 3, 2012

We made your Avocado Tahini Dressing yesterday and had a fabulous salad with dinner, loved it! I noticed that there are salads from the blog not on the Recipage, so I searched through your blog and found many others, like Taco Salad for One, Vegan Ceasar Salad, Green Goddess Dressing, Spring Has Sprung Salad, The Big Summer Salad–so many new yummy ones to try! They may not seem too exciting to you, but I love just getting more of a feel for how you eat, and really enjoy the more basic but still “so Angela” recipes.
Can’t wait to see what new salad ideas you have coming!
*Ann

LizAshlee June 3, 2012

I didn’t get beets this week, but I have loving them on my salads..for like this past month! I figured I needed to take a lil break so I didn’t get burned out! I am excited for this challenge!

Lauren June 3, 2012

I tried your perfect veggie burgers, and holy cow! They really are the best veggie burger I’ve ever had! Even my 200 lb., meat-eating, where’s-the-protein-in-this-salad husband loved them!

Tara June 3, 2012

I have just been introduced to your site and I couldn’t be more grateful. I am trying to get on track with my health and my weight and your story and recipes are just what I need. I will start the salad challenge on the 11th, but take it as far as I can. Last week I perfected my vegan breakfast smoothie and this week I will tackle cooking those super-grains the right way (I’ve never tried any of them before) so they will be perfect in those salads. Thanks!

Ashlee June 3, 2012

Ange, In your original post about the salad challenge, you asked if we had any ideas for a July challenge. I have been thinking about it quite a bit, and then it occurred to me — In Dr. John McDougall’s most recent publication he challenges individuals, vegan and non-vegan alike, to eat more starch (potatoes, sweet potatoes, pasta, beans, peas, lentils, rice, corn, grains, whole grain bread, etc). He calls it “The Eat More Starch” Challenge. In a study they found that males lost 14-19 pounds during an 8 week period just because they ate more starch. One of the chapter headings of his book says, “People passionate about starches are healthy and beautiful.” Vegans can eat too few veggies/salads, but they can also consume too few starches, and get a little off track with too many nuts, seeds, fruits, desserts, fats, etc. Starches provide great satiation and comfort. Anyway, I just thought I would throw that idea out there.

-Ashlee

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2012

That’s an interesting idea. My problem is the opposite though…I generally eat many more starch foods than vegetables. I guess it just depends on the individual!

Ashlee June 4, 2012

That must be why you glow!

Tara Miley June 3, 2012

I am taking on the Salad a Day challenge for June! I made the Rainbow Salad to take for lunches to work this week. It’s sooooo good. I especially love the dressing. I have half a recipe left and can’t wait to try it on something else! Thank you so much for sharing your recipes!

nik0lem June 3, 2012

To start off I’m loving the salad challenge! I wanted to make the over the rainbow salad with tahini dressing and was sad to realize my tahini had gone bad. I live in a tiny town and buying more was not an option. I swapped the parsley for cilantro and opted for a peanut dressing. I used this recipe for inspiration, making a half batch, and “lightened it up” as Angela would say by using half the oil and adding a but of water for consistency. I made a few other changes like raw coconut sugar and natural peanut butter. Yummy! Thanks for keeping us inspired with your amazing recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012

yum looks good!

Christina Shumway June 3, 2012

I love your Avocado-Lime Black Bean Salad!! I can’t tell you how many times I have made it!! It is my go to quick dinner. Love it!!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 4, 2012

Hooray for salad days!!! :) Can’t wait to jump on the bandwagon. Thanks for hosting Ange!

Lorii Abela June 4, 2012

Lots of salad that I should try. Thanks for sharing these salad ideas..

Desirea June 4, 2012

At first I thought that it was SO weird to top a salad with male syrup. But I have made the detox salad a couple of times and I finally tried it with the syrup. It is soooo good. Completely different taste. I’m sorry that I ever doubted it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2012

no worries…I doubt myself all the time. ;) Glad you enjoyed the salad.

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles June 4, 2012

Yum, your salads look so amazing! In my opinion, the more salads in my life the better!

Dawn June 7, 2012

I’ve tried the Detox Salad and the Over the Rainbow Salad so far and both are delicious. My husband took leftover Over the Rainbow Salad to work for lunch and one of his co-workers asked him what he was eating. He told him cabbage salad and the co-worker asked him what he did to make me mad. If only I could get the husband to eat beans or broccoli.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2012

hah cheeky coworker! Glad you are enjoying the recipes.

Katie June 9, 2012

I haven’t checked out your blog in a while and I’m so glad I found this!! I really need to add salads back in my life, thank you!

Heather July 6, 2012

Mmmmm, that Citrus Beet Salad looked amazing! I SO wish I would have discovered your blog a month ago! Any chance of extending the Salad A Day Challenge through July? ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012

Sure, go for it! Im trying to rock the salads all summer long ;)

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 27, 2013

These look great! Gonna try that citrus and beet one soon
I pretty much live on salads and smoothies in summertime, sometimes even in winter too hehe

Page 2 of 2«12