One Bite Cookie ‘n Fudge Cups

IMG 0406   One Bite Cookie ‘n Fudge Cups

Before we get to these fudgy cookie dough cups, let’s talk about the June salad challenge for a sec. I never thought I would get such a positive response about a salad challenge of all things, but your response blew me away. I’ve already seen many of you blogging and tweeting about it, creating #saladaday Pinterest boards, and challenging coworkers, family, and friends to join in for the month of June. The more the merrier! I started tweeting & Instagraming my salads each day as I prep for the kickoff on June 1st. Feel free to join in. Maybe if this challenge is a success, you can suggest a challenge for July.

And if you were worried that you would be bored with salad posts all month long, well you just don’t know me very well. If I’m eating big salads everyday you can be sure I’m having a treat to go along with it. I discovered my bendy chocolate recipe can be used for pretty much anything, which is trouble. Given my recent infatuation with baked tortilla cups (see: one-bite pizzas), I decided to use the cups as the perfect receptacle for bendy chocolate fudge. And then I topped it all off with Chocolate Chip Cookie Pota-Dough. (By the way, if you are still skeptical of the dip, read through the last page of comments. There are a lot of positive reviews already.)

This recipe is really fun to make and obviously even more fun to eat. Imagine, a layer of chilled fudgy chocolate topped off with cookie dough dip all wrapped in a crispy tortilla cup. It’s a party in a bite-sized cup!

IMG 0376   One Bite Cookie ‘n Fudge CupsIMG 0399   One Bite Cookie ‘n Fudge Cups

One Bite Cookie ‘n Fudge Cups

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Adapted from: Chocolate covered strawberries from scratch, chocolate chip cookie pota’dough dip, and one-bite pizzas with loaded pizza sauce.

Tortilla cups:

• 3 (9-inch) tortillas

Chocolate fudge sauce:

• 1/4 cup cocoa powder or raw cacao powder, sifted
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or agave)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil (no subs)
  • 1 tbsp all-natural nut butter (I used cashew butter)
  • 1/4 scant tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste

1. For the tortilla cups: Preheat the oven to 375F and grab a mini cupcake tin. No need to grease it as they will pop right out.

2. With a cookie cutter (or even kitchen sheers), cut 2.5-inch circles out of the wraps and push into the mini cupcake molds. Repeat for the rest & save the scraps for making cinnamon toast crunch.

3. Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes, watching very closely near the end. They should be golden and crisp, but not too brown. If using regular-sized cupcake tins, cut your tortilla into quarters and push one into each mold. Cooking time may vary if using larger cupcake tins.

4. for the fudge sauce: In a small pot, whisk together the maple syrup, coconut oil, nut butter, and sifted cocoa powder over low to medium heat. Whisk for a couple minutes until all the coconut oil is melted and remove from heat immediately.

5. To assemble: Add 1 teaspoon of fudge sauce into each baked cup. Twirl the cup around so it coats all sides. You can also double the fudge sauce and fill the cups if preferred. Place on a plate lined with parchment paper (to catch drippings) and into the freezer for about 15 minutes, or until firm. Remove and serve with a dollop of chilled Chocolate Chip Cookie Pota’Dough Dip on top. This is optional, but recommended! Store in a container in the fridge.

IMG 99471   One Bite Cookie ‘n Fudge Cups

Like many of my creations, I was truly at a loss as to how to photograph these tiny things.

How about on a white cake pedestal? or on the counter?

IMG 0378   One Bite Cookie ‘n Fudge Cups IMG 0380   One Bite Cookie ‘n Fudge Cups

another angle on the counter perhaps? How about on the back of a mini muffin tin with a white background (???)

IMG 0393   One Bite Cookie ‘n Fudge Cups IMG 0394   One Bite Cookie ‘n Fudge Cups

Oh boy.

After giving up all hope, I threw the cups onto my recipe paper, wrote in my fanciest cursive writing, and called it a day.

IMG 0398   One Bite Cookie ‘n Fudge Cups

This was the day’s salad. Dinosaur kale, lemon juice, olive oil, avocado, strawberries, hemp seeds, homemade sprouts, Herbamare. Good stuff.

IMG 03691   One Bite Cookie ‘n Fudge Cups

If you are crunched for time or just aren’t a cookie dough fan, feel free to make simple chocolate fudge cups (shown below, left). Sprinkle the fudge with some chopped nuts and you have yourself a delicious mini dessert.

IMG 0406 2   One Bite Cookie ‘n Fudge Cups

Cheers to mini desserts and big honkin’ salads!

Julie @ Shining From Within May 30, 2012

omg. i think i would eat 1 million of these in one sitting!

Amanda @RewildYourLife May 30, 2012

OMG!! I am in finals week right now and these are exactly what I will be snacking on as I study!!! The friends I study with will probably appreciate them too, plus they can help me eat them! Knowing me, I could consume the whole batch :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

Goodluck with your finals!

LizAshlee May 30, 2012

Those look phenomenal!! Yum YUM!

Laura May 30, 2012

Turns out you CAN win friends with salad. I’ve been upping my salad game big time over here. Thanks for the inspiration, Angela. Oh and these cookie dough dip/fudge cups sound ummm… out of this world actually! Yum.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

Who knew? ;) Glad you are inspired!

jo @ including cake May 30, 2012

Mmmm, love this idea for using tortilla wraps…I never think to use them for sweet fillings!

Robyn May 30, 2012

Over da top…holy cow!! Now I gotta make another batch of chocolate chip cookie pota dough dip(I hardly ever eat potatoes…til this week!) Good thing for salads…that strawberry one looks great.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 30, 2012

I think the recipe page photos look excellent! Very authentic and super delicious. My salad yesterday included my purple asparagus, which I’m loving. I read that it’s supposed to be sweeter than the green kind – did you find the same?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

I made a grilled salad the other day (served over a bed of greens) and the purple asparagus was fantastic. I think I just might like it better than the green…maybe it is a bit sweeter?
PS- I picked up some of those sprouting seeds you showed me, only I got them at Organic Garage. I think it’s called a “sandwich booster”.

Heather May 30, 2012

Wow – those fudge cups look amazing! They will be ending up in my boys bellies soon ;)

That salad looks yummy too – much try that combo – thanks for the inspiration!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh May 30, 2012

I am making these, like, ASAP!!! Can these be made ahead and then frozen so I don’t dive head first into them all at once?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

I would suggest freezing only the cup + fudge…I wouldn’t suggest freezing the cookie dough dip as I didnt find it thawed well. I will add this note into the recipe, thanks for the reminder!

Alex @ Raw Recovery May 30, 2012

Oh Angela, you are going to have me addicted to these!! I just tried chocolate hummus for the first time this weekend and it blew my mind. I haven’t made the bendy chocolate yet (I think that would be a good name for a yoga studio that also sells chocolate) but I’m really excited to try it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

“I think that would be a good name for a yoga studio that also sells chocolate”

haha! indeed :)

Saguna May 30, 2012

Coolest twist on a recipe I’ve seen in a long time! They sound crazy good… And yes, I am totally on board with the saladaday!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy May 30, 2012

yum! those sound (and look) so delicious! it’s only 9am and i’m already craving chocolate chip cookie dough! oh boy….haha and your salad looks fabulous too! i’m with you — if i eat salad, i always have a treat:) thanks for sharing!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 30, 2012

Cheers is right! This is awesome. I still haven’t made the tortilla cups. I need to do that. One of my clients mentioned that she likes to do large tortilla cups, crack and egg inside, add veggies and bacon and bake them. I know, not vegan by ANY means… but a great on the go snack for those that can tolerate eggs. Perhaps they could be made vegan with scrambled tofu??

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

that does sound interesting! Basically, I think when it comes down to it, you can make ANYTHING in a tortilla bowl. haha

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 30, 2012

well said!

Em Todd May 30, 2012

Homemade sprouts??? Tell me more!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

My friend Ange got me hooked on making homemade sprouts! It’s very easy. Maybe I should do a post about it. Basically all you need are some sprouting seeds (or lentils shown in the salad work too), a big mason jar, a bit of cheesecloth and a rubber band. I soaked the lentils overnight in water, then drained and rinsed them (thats where the cheesecloth comes in handy!) and then propped the jar upside down in a bowl so it could drain. I rinsed and drained it 2-3 times per day for a couple days and then I had little sprouts. I’m parinoid about bacteria, so I always steam or sautee them before eating. I store them in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.

Em Todd May 30, 2012

Thanks for sharing. I’m definitely going to try soon!

Jill May 30, 2012

Wow. What a great idea! These look soooo good!

Ariel May 30, 2012

These look amazing, and I’ve been looking froward to trying the chocolate covered strawberries as well. Can you recommend a place or a website to buy coconut oil? I’m having trouble finding it. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

most health food stores carry coconut oil, it can also be found in the organic section of many grocery stores. It’s usually with the other oils.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 30, 2012

I love that you did them in tortillas! Massive salads should always be followed with treats this delish. :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 30, 2012

It looks like you figured out a good way to photograph them, because the fudge cups look fantastic! I need to break down an buy a mini muffin tin!
I wonder if this would work with Ezekiel tortillas (since they’re not as flexible)? I have to check on the cinnamon toast crunch link now too…

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

I was wondering about those too. Has anyone tried the Ezekiel tortillas ?

Naomi Casiro (Health Here Help There) May 30, 2012

I eat the ezekiel ones all the time but haven’t tried tortilla cups with them yet, another one I was wondering about was the brown rice wraps, I get those from whole foods and was wondering if they will hold as well? Please post if you try them! Love the recipes hopefully I can find some of the ingredients I need to keep making them on my trip to Argentina! We shall see!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

I was wondering about the brown rice wraps too!

Have fun in Argentina! Any room in your suitcase for me? ;)

Lauren J @ The Barn May 30, 2012

I love the salad challenge. I try to eat a salad every day anyway but I often find myself in the grocery store on Sunday afternoon wandering aimlessly through the produce section waiting for inspiration for my salad fixings. I usually walk away with the same boring culprits, tomatoes, mushrooms, capers, and pickled peppers. Which I love, but after a few weeks of that it’s time for a change! Looking forward to seeing all the great combos!

Lucy May 30, 2012

That seems really delicious! It’s funny, because in the last couple of days I’ve been mixing cinnamon, coconut oil and honey to spread on my toast. Think I’ll try your choc fugde sauce on toast as well. Thank you for sharing your creative and delicious recipes. :)

Michelle @ Esculent Dreams May 30, 2012

On a typical day, one would find an array of chocolate/cocoa products in my kitchen, but no tortillas. Now that I have miraculously obtained tortillas, I seem to be out of cocoa powder. *sigh* Time for another trip to the grocery store…but I think it’ll be worth it! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

That sounds like the story of my life. Off to the grocery store…again!

Laura @ My Pink Thumb May 30, 2012

mmm these look ah-mazing!!!

Catalina @ Cake with Love May 30, 2012

Angeka you did it again, these cups are so cute, and probably fun to eat!! Thanks for sharing! I see that you didn’t wait for June and had a salad :) We don’t have any groceries in our fridge so I plan on starting the salad month tomorrow!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

I just couldn’t help myself…I’ve had 2-3 so far. I just hope I don’t get burned out. Need to put on my creative cap and think of some fun ones.

I think I will also do a post on Thurs or Friday with more reader fav salads and dressings.

Kelly@Runmarun May 30, 2012

Wow, the fudge cups look fantastic! Thanks for posting this recipe- I’ve been looking for a natural fudge sauce for a long time and your recipes are always reliable and delicious!

Katrina May 30, 2012

These sound soooo fabulous! Love it!

Amber @ getplantfit.com May 30, 2012

I know what we’re having for dessert this weekend! Yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

hope you enjoy them Amber!

Ashley @ Hudson on the Potomac May 30, 2012

Yum!!! Are you just using whole wheat flour tortillas??

Yup!

Jeni May 30, 2012

I have tried the sprouted Ezekiel tortillas and they are so yummy. Plan on using them in your recipe :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

Thanks for letting us know!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 30, 2012

holy ridiculous…i don’t think these would last more than 2.5 seconds in our house. and that’s IF i was able to hide them from my husband!

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 30, 2012

Small things can be tricky to photograph…I totally understand! You succeeded in making me want to chomp into one though! The fudge looks so rich and the cookie dough topping…great touch!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

Why are the small things always so hard to photograph? Glad Im not the only one who struggles with this. I also find that some days are just “off” photography days and I can’t seem to get the hang of it. Sometimes its hard to translate what you envision in your mind into the picture! Oh well…practice makes perfect I guess!

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 30, 2012

Funny you should write this…just yesterday I had THAT DAY! Where my vision in my mind was clearly not going to happen once I started shooting. So then I improvised and went with a rustic look. And then, the icing/glaze on the recipe was setting up and the longer time elapsed, the worse it started looking. It was one of those OMG No….!! moments. Spend two days developing a recipe, 4 hours making and baking it, put on a glaze, and it’s all downhill from there in 30 secs. Girl. I feel your pain on the fudge cups :)

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition May 30, 2012

I know it was hard to photograph but I love these little treat! It’s the perfect way to indulge but not overindulge.

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca May 30, 2012

mmmmmmm I want one of each! …or maybe ten of each ;) I love the sound of fudge topped with cookie dough!

Alisha @ Pink Spatulas May 30, 2012

I have some tortillas that need to be used up. I was going to make soft tacos for dinner tonight, but I think I’ll make these instead! Cookie ‘n Fudge Cups for dinner it is!

Trainerpack May 30, 2012

Thanks for this! I’ve been following you for a while now and I have to say you really come up with great recipes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

Thank you, I’m off to check out your blog!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life May 30, 2012

I am way too excited about this recipe. Anything in miniature is great because it means we can ‘treat responsibly’ (or just eat 10!). Delicioso!

Heathy May 30, 2012

Yummy these look delish and perfect for entertaining too. I’d like to try them with ezekiel wraps or rice wraps! Wonder how it will work since they’re less pliable.

Kathryn May 30, 2012

YUM! My go to favorite salad right now is greens, avocado, and saurkraut. Sounds, strange, but it soooo good. Especially with a red wine vinegrette.

Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy May 30, 2012

These look so good (as with everything you post) but seriously – the problem with bite sized, is that I eat it in one bite… I can’t stop popping them in!!! I don’t know what is worse, eating an entire LARGE cookie n’ fudge cup or twelve mini ones?!

Also? Cannot wait for June Salad Challenge!

Judy May 30, 2012

These looks great, however, I cannot eat chocolate. How do you think they would taste without the cocoa powder? Or is there something else that I can substitute?
Thanks

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

Can you eat carob powder by chance? That might be an ok sub…?

katie@ KatieDid May 30, 2012

so freaking cute! I still need to try the potato dough… still curious about it but the comments look so positive!

Page 1 of 212»