No-Bake Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream Torte

IMG 0175   No Bake Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream Torte

Since I made my chocolate avocado tortes (see no bake version and cooked crust version), they quickly became a favourite warm weather dessert – cold, decadent, and also two of the 21 most popular dessert recipes on the blog in 2011. The avocado is masked by the chocolate and creates a cream-like texture, richness, and body as a great base for all that chocolate goodness.

I’ve had a few requests to make an avocado-free version due to allergies. For this version, I ended up making a no-bake almond-oat-date-coconut oil crust (instead of this raw chocolate crust) and I used a can of coconut milk and medjool dates as main ingredients in the chocolate cream part. The can of full fat coconut milk replaces the creamy avocado and the medjool dates replace the maple syrup. I replaced the maple syrup because I thought medjool dates would add thickness to the mixture since the coconut milk isn’t as thick as pureed avocado. I’m not saying that it’s not possible to make one with a liquid sweetener, but this was my first attempt. I’m sure there will be others too!

IMG 0114   No Bake Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream Torte

I love how this version turned out. It’s still decadent like the last version, but also a bit lighter because I left out the cup of chocolate chips. The chocolate filling reminds me a lot of chocolate coconut milk ice cream. Because of this, the torte doesn’t get quite as firm as the original because it has more of an ice cream texture. Originally, I tried chilling this version in the fridge overnight, but it never got firm enough. Once I transferred it to the freezer it was cold enough to set. The original torte firms up more because the chocolate chips harden as it chills. Either way, both versions need to be chilled and I like that this version is a bit lighter. Treat it like an ice cream cake and you are good to go!

Oh, and feel free to add sliced strawberries or other seasonal berries on top just before serving. A homemade berry sauce – just puree some berries with a touch of sweetener – would also be nice drizzled over top. Don’t make the same mistake that I did and freeze the strawberries along with the torte. Add them just before serving, and you’ll be in much better shape for slicing and eating.

Frozen strawberries, are also a pain in the butt to photograph!

As you can see:

IMG 0162   No Bake Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream Torte

I got fed up with photographing frozen strawberries (they turn pale and icy), so I added fresh ones on top.

IMG 0176   No Bake Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream Torte

Problem solved. :)

IMG 0177   No Bake Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream Torte

No-Bake Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream Torte

No-bake. All-natural. Vegan. Gluten-free option. Soy-free. Refined sugar-free. Chocolate Coconut Ice cream. Lovely almond-oat-date-coconut oil base. Fresh, seasonal berries on top. It’s light enough for summer, but rich enough for a special treat.

Print, email, or text this recipe

Yield: 16 squares/triangles

for the crust:

• 1 cup whole raw almonds
  • 1.5 cups rolled oats*
  • 150 grams medjool dates (about 10), pitted*
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt, to taste
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil

for the chocolate torte:

• 300 grams medjool dates (about 22-24), pitted*, to taste
  • One can (398 ml) full-fat coconut milk
  • 4 tbsp cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
  • 2 tbsp cashew nut butter (or other nut butter)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp agave nectar (or other liquid sweetener), or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste
  • Fresh strawberries or other berries, for garnish

1. Grease a 10 inch springform cake pan with coconut oil very well. I used a springform pan so it would be easy to slice and get out of the pan. Set aside.

2. In a food processor, process the crust ingredients together until crumbly and sticky. You want it to look a bit coarser than sand. Press this mixture into the prepared cake pan, evenly and firm.

3. In the processor (give it a quick wipe!), add all the torte ingredients except the agave, salt, and strawberries. Process until super smooth. Add the agave and salt to taste. Adjust sweetness if necessary. Pour this mixture on top of the prepared crust and smooth out.

4. Carefully place the torte in the freezer (uncovered is fine) for several hours until firm. I’m not entirely sure how long it will take to set since I started mine in the fridge. When it’s ready and firm enough, place on the counter for about 10 minutes to soften up a bit. Slice, garnish with berries, and serve immediately. Will melt quickly! I sliced my pieces into squares/triangles and made about 16 pieces.

For nutritional info, see here.

Note: I weighed the medjool dates with the pits still in them. I suggest weighing them if possible since medjool dates vary in size so much. For gluten-free version, use certified GF oats and check all other ingredients.

IMG 0182   No Bake Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream Torte

Yup, I’d say it’s a winner…

IMG 0187   No Bake Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream Torte

Enjoy!

Sarah Williams May 22, 2012

YUM! I just woek up and I want this for breakfast!! Def. making this on such a blustry cold, rainy saskatchewan day!:)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 22, 2012

Please tell me you licked the plate clean after you took a picture. That looks too good to leave behind! :)

Ali @ Project Kale May 22, 2012

YUMMY! This looks like the perfect summer treat! I love the idea of using a fresh summer berry puree on top as well. Can’t wait to try this bad boy.

Melissa May 22, 2012

Angela, this looks wonderful! I’ve gotten so many wonderful, clean eating recipes from you. Thank you! I’ve been lurking on your blog for several months now, but haven’t posted yet. I’m not vegan, but try to stay away from a lot oa meat and dairy because I feel better without it.

I have a question… yesterday I made a lettuce/spinach strawberry salad with homemade poppy seed dressing. Do you have a poppy seed dressing recipe? Mine has mayo and sugar as the main ingredients with a little vinegar, garlic, and of course, poppy seeds. I thought of swapping them for chia seeds, but didn’t this time. What are some alternatives to mayo?

Thank you!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2012

Thanks Melissa! I dont have a poppyseed dressing, but I will definitely make one at some point. yum.
Swaps for mayo? I’ve heard you can make vegan mayo with pureed tofu as a base but I havent tried it. I also think you can use cashew cream. Again, havent tried it. There are a couple vegan mayos on the market too that seem to be highly reviewed.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See May 22, 2012

Mmmmm chocolate coconut milk ice cream? I think I can handle that

Joey May 22, 2012

Could you replace the nut butter with seed butter?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2012

I cant see why not. You might need to adjust the sweetener slightly depending on what you use as some are more bitter than others.

Lauren May 22, 2012

Hi Angela, I’m sure you’ve been asked this a million times, but could you tell me what camera you use? I love your beautiful pictures!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 25, 2012

Thanks Lauren! My photography info is found on my FAQ page at the top of the blog. http://ohsheglows.com/faqs/ question #10.

Laura S May 22, 2012

I must have been on your wavelength Angela! Last night I went out to buy all the ingredients for the original No Bake Double Chocolate Torte. Imagine my surprise when I checked your blog today to see you had made an updated version of it! The only other time I made it everyone LOVED it but now that I see this updated one I think I may combine the two and use the crust from this one and the mousse from the original…we’ll see how that goes. I’m sure it will be delicious, as always. Thanks for your inspiration and amazing recipes!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life May 22, 2012

Ahhh I followed that link back to your top 21 dessert recipes and I remembered how much I tortured myself going through it when you first posted it! Too many amazing options, and I’m stuck at work too far away from my kitchen ;) (no worries, btw, you’re not encouraging slacking – I’m on my lunch break!).

Love this, it looks like such a refreshing yet decadent dessert to have as the weather gets warmer!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt May 22, 2012

This looks incredible! Perfect for my pregnancy cravings. I pinned it, so I can make it soon. :)

Jasmin May 22, 2012

Just found your blog a few days ago and I’m in love! I’ve been vegetarian for over a year and now I’m trying to go vegan for two weeks to see how it goes so your blog has been a lifesaver! :) I had your overnight oats this morning (I made with ground flax since I didn’t have chia) with 1/2 sliced bananas and they were TO DIE FOR! I woke up late too and then I remembered that I already had breakfast all ready to go! Can’t wait to try this recipe! Off to get me some coconut milk!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2012

Thank you Jasmin!

Steve May 22, 2012

Looks awesome! I’m so hungry now…

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts May 23, 2012

This looks incredible. I.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.e!

Michaela@pilgrimageofhealth May 23, 2012

I loooove coconut, and I’m sure that addition gives it such a good taste.

jenna May 23, 2012

this looks wickedly good! perfect summer treat!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles May 23, 2012

Coconut and ice cream? Say no more, I’m sold!

Anonymous May 23, 2012

Thank you so much for including the nutritional info on the recipage….I know I could find a website to plug it in myself but it really is a bonus when you do it!

I think I could just eat the filling for this torte by itself!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2012

Glad to know you appreciate it!

Erica May 23, 2012

This looks delish!

My husband and I also found that quinoa flakes make gross porridge. I find the best use for them is as a binder in veggie burgers, etc.

Sally May 23, 2012

Hi Angela,

I made this this morning (and licked the food processor bowl afterwards…). I have a puny weak food processor, so it took a looong time. If other people have a weak processor like me, just keep at it and scrape it down.

I didn’t end up adding the agave, the dates made it sweet enough. Since I only made half a portion (only had around twenty dates total lying around the house), I only needed half a can of coconut milk–so I scraped out the cream portion, natch. It was a good decision. I recommend it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2012

glad to hear that!

Dani May 24, 2012

This recipe is incredible! I’ve been vegan for 5 years & have to say that this is the yummiest dessert i have eaten since then!! I dont know how you came up with it but thanks! I have to leave my computer now and eat the rest of it :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 25, 2012

Hey Dani, Glad you enjoyed the torte!

Sippi May 28, 2012

This was amazing! I used almond butter because that is what I had.

oceanside orthodontist June 6, 2012

Everything about this recipe is just pure love. I love that it’s no bake, and you mentioned that it almost has the consistency of ice cream. This one will definitely be bookmarked.

Sheena June 10, 2012

Made this tonight, tasted amazing! One problem, I find the filling just will not freeze…anyone experience the same thing?!

Isa June 13, 2012

This is a MEGA hit in our house. I shall be making this very often (kids’ order lol)
Thanks Angela x

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner June 14, 2012

That looks AMAZING!!!! :D :D :D

Rachel September 25, 2012

This looks delicious! I’m just wondering is the nut butter the same one that you have the recipe for? Or do you buy in the shops? Also is there a subisustute?

Jan February 19, 2013

Defenitely will try some of these recipes.

Teresa Gochnauer June 2, 2013

Hi Angela ,
Love your website!! I made this the other night and everyone loved it so much we had to have seconds. Thank you!!

Carolyn June 17, 2013

So delicious!!!! I made these in small and regular size muffin tins and they turned out incredible. They were suprisingly easy to pop out of the tins to eat.

All your recipies are so delicious I have to rank them as to which ones I will try next!

Page 2 of 2«12