Lightened-Up Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta

IMG 9901   Lightened Up Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta

Don’t you love when you discover a new food that blows your mind, despite the fact that others have been raving about it for ages?

Some of mine:

• Avocado (I “hated” avocado until I ate my face off w/ guacamole in Mexico, 2007)
  • Mushrooms (anyplace, anytime)
  • Beets (raw, cooked, juiced, I like them all)
  • Tofu
  • raw cacao powder (a recent baking discovery…I’m obsessed!)
  • Dark chocolate (it took me a while to appreciate the intensity, but now I love it)

My latest cooking discovery: Sundried Tomatoes!

IMG 9862   Lightened Up Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta

Where have you been all my life?

I can’t seem to stop putting them in my food. My first recipe was Sundried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips. Sundried tomatoes are just so flavourful and fun to add into so many dishes.

For some reason, I could not get the thought of sundried tomato basil pesto out of my mind.

IMG 9897   Lightened Up Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta IMG 9896 21   Lightened Up Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta

I made two trials of this pesto using both oil-packed (shown today) and non-oil packed sundried tomatoes. Both worked wonderfully, however the recipe changes slightly which I will note below. If you are using non-oil packed tomatoes, be sure to soak them in water for at least 1-2 hours before making this pesto. Finally, look for organic, sulfite-free sundried tomatoes if you are concerned about consuming sulfites.

IMG 98602   Lightened Up Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta

Don’t mind the upside down sea salt. It’s a long story that resulted in an exploded bottom with salt spilled over every nook and cranny of the kitchen. I won’t mention any names (cough, husband, cough). It now rests upside down with tin foil covering the jagged plastic bottom.

You will need about 20 grams of fresh basil which is equal to a 1/2 packed cup. Really pack it in so it’s overflowing!

IMG 9867   Lightened Up Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta

Much like my Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto, this pesto isn’t the prettiest to look at, but it sure tastes incredible!

IMG 9869   Lightened Up Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta

Ok, maybe it is kinda pretty with the right lighting! It’s a sunny & orange sundried pesto.

IMG 9883   Lightened Up Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta

Lightened-Up Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta

This lightened up pesto has just 1/4 cup of olive oil, but I promise you won’t know the difference . The sundried tomatoes, walnuts, and basil create an extremely flavourful pesto that goes wonderfully with pasta, sandwiches or wraps, or mixed into some grilled vegetables. Can’t have nuts? Just leave them out. The addition of the walnuts was more of an afterthought than a main ingredient.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 3/4 cup

For the pesto:

• 2 garlic cloves
  • 20 grams fresh basil leaves (1/2 cup packed)
  • 55 grams (about 7) oil-packed sundried tomatoes (see notes)
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 6-8 tbsp water
  • 3-4 tbsp walnuts (toasted, if preferred)
  • Fine grain sea salt  + pepper, to taste (I used 1/4 tsp salt)
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
  • Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste

For the pasta:

• Your choice of pasta
  • Walnuts, chopped and toasted
  • Fresh basil
  • Sundried tomatoes, chopped
  • Pesto

1. In a food processor, with the machine running, drop in the 2 garlic cloves to mince. Now, drop in the basil and process until finely chopped.

2. Pour in the olive oil, with the machine running, along with the tomatoes, nutritional yeast (optional), and water (add slowly as needed). Process until mostly smooth.

3. Pulse in the walnuts until chunky and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Note: If using dry, non oil-packed sundried tomatoes, soak 30 grams in a bowl of water for 1-2 hours until very soft. Reserve the soaking water and use it in the pesto. I used 9 tbsp of soaking water, but you may need less or more depending on your preference.

IMG 9886   Lightened Up Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta

Served with toasted crunchy bread, this meal was one to remember. I didn’t think I would ever like a pesto more than my Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto, but this one is now tied for first!

IMG 9890   Lightened Up Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta

If you find yourself with leftover pesto, I recommend spreading it on a sandwich or wrap, along with roasted veggies, spinach, and avocado. Mmmmm, yes I highly recommend that. Or just mix some pesto into some roasted veggies for a tasty side dish. It should keep for a week in the fridge, but I doubt it will last that long.

Amber @ getplantfit.com May 14, 2012

I made this for dinner tonight. Everyone enjoyed it and ate it all including my 8 year old, picky eater. Delicious meal, as usual, when I cook recipes from your site.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 15, 2012

yay that is great news!

Gwen May 14, 2012

Angela, this recipe was amazing. My boyfriend (who is pretty picky) loved this pesto and so did I :) I used pistachios instead of walnuts (since it was what I had on hand) and it turned out great! The bf has decided to have the left over pesto for dinner again tonight :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 21, 2013

So glad you enjoyed it Gwen! (Sorry for the delayed reply) :)

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie May 15, 2012

Summer basil = pesto.

In other words, DA BEST!

Tawnee May 15, 2012

I just made this and WOW! is it good!

Nicolle May 17, 2012

This looks so good! I made your roasted tomato pesto and loved it, and I’m excited to try this recipe too! I think the pesto would also be really good on spelt pizza with loads of spinach :)

Susan May 22, 2012

I made this and it was incredibly delicious! I tossed it with Spinach filled ravioli but I can’t wait to use it as a dressing for grilled vegetables, as a dip for crostini next to a glass of red wine, as part of a summer antipasto platter – the options are endless! :)
On a side note – I somehow accidentally managedto drop my 1/4 cup measuring cup into my food processor after i drizzled in the olive oil. It was metal so I think it did a number on the blade of my food processor – maybe this will give me the excuse I’ve been looking for to buy a new one.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2012

So glad you liked it Susan! Sorry to hear about your food processor blade!

Amy S June 21, 2012

This pesto is awesome! I had raw cashews on hand, so I substituted those for the walnuts. I will definitely make this again! Thank you for sharing, I really enjoy your blog!

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board June 24, 2012

We made this for dinner tonight but used sundried tomato basil spaghetti and added some sauteed cherry tomatoes .. It was amazing!!

Mae July 5, 2012

Not-So-Pro-Tip: If you don’t have time to soak your tomatoes you can get them set up in the soaking water for a few minutes, then microwave them (still in the water) for about 20 seconds. It’s like a fast forward.

Alexandra August 29, 2012

This pesto is SO GOOD!! I ate it on lightly-sauteed julienned green and yellow squash. My mom took a bite on her way out the door to dinner and said she’d rather stay in and eat the pesto! It was super quick & easy to make; I’ll definitely be making this over and over again. Thank you!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2012

hah love to hear that!! I cant wait to try it over julienned zucchini too.

Shana Curtis September 18, 2012

I am new to vegetarian/vegan dishes– I am not a total convert but I do meatless meals for my family. I am trying to understand what is nutritional yeast and what is it for.

Thanks—-

Angela Chavis-Bullard October 19, 2012

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I made this for dinner last night for my parents and they loved it. It now will become a staple in my kitchen! I am new to your site and I can’t wait to try your other recipes!!!

Robin January 9, 2013

It just tried this last night and it is wonderful, quick, and easy! I added mushrooms to mine as usual. I may add even more veggies the next time. It probably won’t make my regular rotation of meals since I tend to avoid pasta and oil most of the time. Two things that make me put on weight very easily!

Nina January 27, 2014

It is so good we put it on raw spiralized zucchini (somebody also made it with sauteed julienned zucchini) and we use soaked sundried tomatoes and then use the water from the tomatoes were soaking in – no oil! So yummy!

Lauren January 20, 2013

Did you make the bread you paired with this pasta? If so, will you share the recipe? It looks phenomenal! =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2013

Sadly no, it`s from a bakery ;)

Emi February 4, 2013

Hi, i was just wondering how many people this serves? is it just one? :) it looks delicious! thanks x

R.A. February 7, 2013

We had this for dinner the other night with some tomato basil bread from Panara. Everybody loved the pasta, we will be having this one again and again, thanks for the recipe!

Brittany March 31, 2013

Can you also serve this dish cold?

Ciera June 14, 2013

Made it tonight…delicious!! Thank you!

Lori July 24, 2013

Hi Angela,

I made this recipe this week. I must say this is one of the best dinners I’ve had in a long time. Just delicious and I did not miss the meat for one minute. I’m not vegan but looking for healthier things to fill my diet. This is great! I had the left pesto on a sandwich today.

Thanks,
Lori

Becka August 2, 2013

I made this last night and it was AHmazing! Such a great flavor-can’t wait to try the roasted tomato pesto tomorrow night! Thanks for all of your amazing recipes, Angela. I pretty much exclusively cook from yours! As someone relatively new to the vegan kitchen, it has been so great.

Pixie August 4, 2013

This does look very yummy. Can’t wait to try it. I printed a copy for myself and my adult daughter. (Is there any way your website could direct it to print full-page, rather than teeny tiny print? I’m thankful you have a print button – my website doesn’t!)

Marit September 27, 2013

Amanzing recipe! I’m trying to get my family into a healthier lifestyle, so I’m definitely going to make this pasta next week! I had one little question.. For how many servings did you use the pesto? We are with four, so I would like to know if the pesto is enough..
Thanks!

Nina December 1, 2013

This pesto is gorgeous! My daughter had it for lunch and wanted it again for dinner. We made it the 1st time with sun dried tomatoes in oil and added no extra oil. The color was a beautiful red. For dinner, I used soaked in water sun dried tomatoes and added just a drizzle of oil into processor. We are trying to do more low-fat meals. The color was also very red and not orangey at all. This will be a go-to favorite. My daughter thinks you are a genius and trusts your recipes more than any other vegan recipe site. Thanks so much Angela!!

Vicki January 21, 2014

Hi from Quebec!! I just wanted to tell you how much I’m enjoying your site. This recipe is the first I’ve made and it was absolutely delicious!! My kids loved it!! Thanks so much and keep up the great work. I can’t wait to buy your book.

Danielle Baiz April 4, 2014

Another one of your winning recipes that my fiance and I can’t get enough of! Thank you so much for the time you dedicate to this blog. Many of us out there are indebted to you! Can’t wait to try everything on this site and in your books! :D

Natalie August 21, 2014

I bought the Kindle version of your book and this is the first recipe I have tried. It was very easy to make with no super exotic ingredients and my family really loved it. I served it with quinoa pasta. Thank you for a great dish!! We have been trying to become vegan for about two months now and I’m proud to say that we are about 80% there! So far your book has been the best that I have seen for healthy vegan food that looks and tastes good.

Page 3 of 3«123