Crazy Woman Chocolate Blender Pudding

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 7, 2012

IMG_9820

This 60-second recipe happened as a result of a major chocolate craving over the weekend. If PMS is good for one thing and one thing only it’s for inspiring many of my favourite recipes. This weekend, I was craving this secret-ingredient chocolate pudding like a crazy woman, but I didn’t have a couple of the ingredients on hand.

What’s a crazy woman to do?

I decided to make the best of the ingredients I did have and make a spin-off of this recipe: an all-natural chocolate pudding sweetened only with banana and medjool dates. Dates and banana are popular sweeteners in many raw avocado pudding recipes so I thought I would finally try it out myself. Instead of making this a super rich pudding like my last one, I lightened it up and made it in the blender!

IMG_9797

It did not disappoint.

This recipe is a hybrid of a luxurious chocolate smoothie and a decadent-but good-for-you chocolate pudding. Is it a p’moothie or a sudding? Thankfully I dropped those names from the title.

Technically, it can serve 2-4, but if you are like me, you might find yourself eating most of the batch on your own. I understand those days…I really do.

IMG_9817

5 from 4 reviews

Crazy Woman Chocolate Blender Pudding

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake/raw, nut-free, oil-free, soy-free

By

Yield
2 cups
Prep time
Cook time
0 Minutes

Ingredients:

• 1/2 large avocado, frozen (flesh only)
  • 1 large ripe banana, peeled and frozen
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 2 tbsp raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
  • 2 medjool dates, pitted (or liquid sweetener)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt
  • shaved chocolate and shredded coconut, to garnish
  • 3-4 ice cubes, add until very cold

Directions:

1. This is the hard part: You need to freeze your banana and avocado beforehand! This results in an ice cream like texture, so it’s always a good idea to have some frozen bananas and avocado in your freezer for desperate times. If you simply cannot wait, then go ahead and make it with room temp ingredients, just amp up the ice so it’s super cold. But honestly, you have to try this with them frozen to really experience it fully! Trust me on this one.
  2. Add your almond milk first into the blender (always) followed by the frozen avocado flesh, frozen banana, cacao or cocoa powder, pitted dates, vanilla, and a pinch of sea salt (amazing). Process until smooth. Process in ice until very very cold (you don’t want this luke warm). Pour into parfait glasses, mini bowls, or into a huge glass all for yourself. Like I said, I won’t judge. Best served immediately!

IMG_9779

Shaved dark chocolate is a very good idea.

So is inhaling some pudding immediately after the photoshoot.

IMG_9819

It’s really a miracle I could wait that long.

Yellow Haired Girl May 7, 2012 at 9:15 am

Ahhh! This look fantastic. And even better that it’s been coined a “Crazy Woman” recipe ;)

Earthy Nicole May 7, 2012 at 9:19 am

Yay, a new recipe just in the knick of time! Haha… Did you name it ‘crazy woman’ or did Eric?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012 at 11:13 am

He calls me crazy woman often so I thought the name was fitting. :) Although some days I think he needs a crazy man pudding…

Earthy Nicole May 7, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Lol, sounds like my husband!

Catalina @ Cake with Love May 7, 2012 at 9:20 am

This sounds and looks amazing, I am making this!!!

Alex @ Raw Recovery May 7, 2012 at 9:24 am

I was in extreme need for this over the weekend! When I buy bananas today I’m TOTALLY going to make this. It looks heavenly!! Thanks for sharing, have a great Monday!

Carrie May 7, 2012 at 9:26 am

Yum! I still haven’t tried avocado pudding – I’ll bet it’s amazing!

Kilee May 7, 2012 at 9:27 am

I try not to keep chocolate bars laying around the house, but always wish I did once my PMS kicks in. Maybe I’ll stash a few in the freezer for emergency purposes – like making this pudding! Have a great day Angela :)

Cookie and Kate May 7, 2012 at 9:31 am

Sometimes a girl’s just gotta have her chocolate. I’ve been meaning to try an avocado pudding recipe… this one looks like a winner!

Britny W May 7, 2012 at 9:32 am

Love chocolate anything, and love the title of this recipe! I just recently got my first bag of cacao powder so will definitely have to use it in this! This weekend I made myself a chocolate coconut cream “milkshake” with frozen bananas, cocoa powder, almond milk, and coconut milk whipped cream. It was heavenly! Who needs sonic or dairy queen?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012 at 11:12 am

That sounds right up my alley :)

Bonnie May 8, 2012 at 12:42 am

Hi Britny,
Would you be willing to share the recipe for your choc. coconut cream ‘milkshake’?

Britny W May 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Bonnie, I didn’t really follow a recipe exactly but here’s what I did: If you take an opened can of coconut milk and put it in the fridge overnight it makes it have the consistency of whipped cream. I put one frozen banana cut up into slices in my blender, followed by about a cup and a half of almond milk, and about a tbsp of cocoa powder. Blend until you get the desired texture. I added my coconut milk cream once I poured the contents of the blender into my glass. You can add as much as preferred! I was naughty and also topped mine with chocolate chips. Enjoy!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} May 7, 2012 at 9:35 am

Love this!! My 3 year olds favorite chocolate “pudding” is made with avocados. I’m going to have to try freezing the avocado first–what a great idea. I always have to chill ours for a while before we eat it. Problem solved!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012 at 11:12 am

Hope you enjoy it!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 7, 2012 at 9:43 am

Oh wow, I could do with some of this right this second!! Dark chocolate makes anything better, and when it’s raw and combined with things like cacao and avocado, it’s practically health food right? ;)

Allison @ Decadent Philistines Save the World May 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

This looks lovely! I am now even MORE sad that my blender died and that I haven’t been able to replace it yet. However, this will be on the “to do” list when I get a new one. YUM!

Ranelle May 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

I’m buying avocados tonight!! Now I will be guilt-free when I succumb to my chocolate cravings this week ;)

Willow May 7, 2012 at 9:53 am

Haha, I would not have been able to restrain myself to take more than a blurry phone-photo of this. It looks so good, and the perfect “healthy” cure to chocolate cravings! Also… I happen to always have bags of frozen banana and avocado (among other fruits) in the freezer for making smoothies, sooo….. nothing’s stopping me! *Dashes off to the kitchen*

Jill May 7, 2012 at 9:53 am

Genius! Love this!

Carissa May 7, 2012 at 9:55 am

Mmmmm this looks fantastic! I tried an avocado pudding before & wasn’t impressed. I think freezing it would really help!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012 at 11:11 am

yea I find freezing it does help take the edge of the flavour off. It’s best consumed right away!

Katie @ Creature of Habit May 7, 2012 at 10:00 am

Yep. Totally think this would be just eaten straight out of the blender by me. Looks delish!

Tonya May 7, 2012 at 10:04 am

smudding?

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 7, 2012 at 10:08 am

Looks fabulous and just this weekend I took a ripe avocado and made blender pudding with it….with a boatload of cocoa powder and agave. GREAT PICS!

Melissa @ squatsandsquash May 7, 2012 at 10:12 am

Love this recipe, it looks delicious!! Who would’ve thought?!?

Anne May 7, 2012 at 10:18 am

Help! I’ve tried making banana soft serve a few times, and it never tastes right…there’s a distinctly “off” taste, and I’m convinced the bananas had freezer burn. How do you freeze yours so they don’t get freezer burn? Do you peel and cut them up first? What do you put them in? Thanks!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012 at 11:09 am

Hey Anne, I think the key is using ripe bananas but not TOO ripe to the point where they are mush and brown. I’ve tried freezing too ripe bananas for BSS and it didn’t turn out great in texture or taste. I usually store mine in a baggie or tupperware with plastic wrap around them first. I find they usually do get a bit of freezerburn regardless, however I try to use them up the same week I freeze them. Does that help at all?

Kristin May 7, 2012 at 10:18 am

Oh wow, that looks super good, I rarely have chocolate cravings but when I do, I need a fix! I will definitely be trying this soon :)

Ashley May 7, 2012 at 10:24 am

This looks so delicious! Thank you so much for bringing so many wonderful recipes into my life. Before finding your blog a year ago I never would have imagined how delicious and easy vegan cooking could be, you have transformed me!
PS I absolutely love the new banner! So fresh!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012 at 11:07 am

Thank you Ashley, that means a lot to me!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 7, 2012 at 10:25 am

the new header is so fun!

and who doesn’t need some chocolate pudding on the fly? i don’t even think you have to be a crazy woman for that! :)

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition May 7, 2012 at 10:28 am

Love this post – looks so good! Now I really, really want to try to make a pudding with avocado’s.. it’s all I seem to hear about lately.

Dairy Free Chick May 7, 2012 at 10:31 am

This looks delicious! Did you use your vitamix? I use a regular blender and was wondering if the dates process well without presoaking? If I don’t soak I usually get a mealy texture…

thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012 at 11:06 am

Good question! My dates were super soft so I think they would work in any blender…I will certainly add a tip about soaking if they are firm. Thanks for the idea!

Hailey May 7, 2012 at 10:34 am

Oh my goodness, this looks phenomenal! I can’t wait to try this. Definitely will be one serving for this girl. :-)

Lauren May 7, 2012 at 10:35 am

This looks great! I love your pudding with avocado and almond butter. My absolute favorite recipe!

Kathryn May 7, 2012 at 10:44 am

I NEVER would have thought to freeze avocado! This looks so tasty.

Jasper {crunchylittlebites} May 7, 2012 at 10:44 am

I still get a kick out of your healthy chia choc. pudding :) And I made a spinach, cocoa, broccoli smoothie this morning. You’d a been proud!

Amy @Health Hungry May 7, 2012 at 10:55 am

I have GOT to try this! Thankfully I think it will be just the time of month to do so… ;) Avocadoes are fabulous for females who are dealing with some hormone fluxes, and of course chocolate goes without saying!

Sat May 7, 2012 at 11:13 am

I can’t wait to try this. This looks soooo yummy.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 7, 2012 at 11:35 am

Yes, shaved dark chocolate sounds like a VERY good idea!

Kate @ life's precious moments May 7, 2012 at 11:49 am

Oh my goodness! Your header is adorable!! I saw you tweet a picture of it.. but I always read your posts on google reader and decided to click to your actual website today.

So gosh darn cute!

Yumm.. that recipe looks delicious as always!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Thanks Kate!

Sonja May 7, 2012 at 11:50 am

Hi Angela – this looks delicious and I definitely want to try it! Do you know what the calorie count would be per serving? Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012 at 4:36 pm

No Im sorry I dont, but you can try nutrition data website. Its a free program to calculate nutritional info.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 7, 2012 at 11:54 am

This is so random but it sounds great!!!

DessertForTwo May 7, 2012 at 11:59 am

Yum! I could sure use this once a month, and maybe even more! ;)

Bailey May 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Sounds delicious as always! By, the way, I love the glasses! Perfect for serving!

Amber K May 7, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I haven’t thought to freeze avocado, but I’m going to have to try it! I love adding it to smoothies to make them more pudding-like and if freezing them first can make everything creamier I can’t wait to try it.

Somer May 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Having some crazy woman PMS myself right now. Unfortunately when that happens, I usually turn into a hoover vacuum and eat everything in sight. Thanks for providing me with a chocolate option to hoover that won’t turn me into a bloated hephalump!

[email protected] Palate May 7, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I think I may have to make this pudding for my lunch sometime this week! Do you know if it keeps? Or is that a silly question! I just mean if I make it the night before?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm

It’s best served immediately for sure! I tried it later on and it wasn’t quite as good. I think it has something to do with the ingredients being frozen to begin with. Picture a ripe banana thawing and it gets a bit watery.

steph @ lungesandlunch May 8, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I live alone, so that’s the perfect justification as to why I have to eat the whole thing myself. ;)

Also, this is such good timing. I just bought avocados at the market and don’t know what to do with all of them. I didn’t even think of freezing them! Green smoothies (really I mean puddings) here I come!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life May 7, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Ooh I bet this is fabulous – avocado, banana and dates? Sounds like a sweet and creamy treat – amazing!

Meredith @ DareYouTo May 7, 2012 at 1:03 pm

YUM! Love how you just make things happen. This sounds incredible. I’ve got to try it.

[email protected] May 7, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I have got to try this! I’m on a gluten and soy freedom month and love to find recipes like these.

Gail May 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I’ve got a really yummy banana chocolate smoothie that I adapted:

1 whole banana (chopped)
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup crushed ice
squirt of honey (or agave for the vegans)
1 tsp. cocoa powder

Whirl in the blender. I really like it, it’s not too sweet, and it’s got the right amount of banana and chocolate. I might try it with more chocolate in the future – teehee!

Aimee May 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I love the new banner (loved the old one too)!

SO EXCITED because I just re-discovered an avocado that has been hiding in the freezer, feeling neglected. Neglected no longer!

Jeanine May 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm

This looks divine! I laughed so hard when I saw this title, I can totally relate…

Laurel May 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Sounds awesome Angela! I’m glad I’m not the only one who goes chocolate crazy because of PMS. I am so happy to have found some good vegan/raw brands I like so they keep me in the happy zone. I’m gonna try this pudding very soon!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes May 7, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Sounds amazing! I love when my “smoothies” get so thick I decide to just put it in a bowl and eat it with a spoon :)

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen May 7, 2012 at 3:20 pm

This sounds absolutely *DIVINE*!!!! And trust me, I know AAAAAAALLLL about PMS chocolate cravings!!! In fact, I pretty much think we all do!

Moni Meals May 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Ang, this is fabulous! I love the frozen avo idea… and coconut on top, great!

Thank you PMS for giving all us women such BRILLIANT inspiratation! haha.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Your chocolate PMS recipes are the bomb! haha love that you added dates instead of sugar, good call!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012 at 4:58 pm

hah thanks hun :)

laura May 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Mmm looks so good!

Lauren May 7, 2012 at 5:16 pm

mmm! This looks amazing!

Jennifer May 7, 2012 at 5:36 pm

This looks amazing! I love love love your blog SO much! Your recipes are ALWAYS super delicious AND healthy! I love the new organization and professional layout of it. Also, the new heading is great :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2012 at 7:59 am

Thank you Jennifer!

Jill | A Cook's Nook May 7, 2012 at 6:42 pm

mmm I wish I had all of this on hand tonight! I just may have to make a smoothie out of it and call it breakfast tomorrow. (yay pms!)

oceanside orthodontist May 7, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I wasn’t expecting that an avocado would be part of this recipe, but it was a good surprise. It looks so good, must try it soon.

DG May 7, 2012 at 10:07 pm

how would you make this without banana?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2012 at 7:59 am

I would probably add an entire avocado instead of half…and then add dates to taste. You will probably need at least 6 to makeup for the lack of sweetness from the banana.

Nadine Veroba May 7, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I just made this recipe, and OH MY GOODNESS it is so delicious! Thank you thank you!

Emily (Edible Psychology) May 8, 2012 at 6:57 am

I had never thought of freezing avocado! We recently found out that my partner is allergic to bananas, and I had thought our thick frozen smoothie days were over, but this might just be the fix we (mostly I) have been looking for! Thank you!

~Emily~

Katrina May 8, 2012 at 7:08 am

I’m totally making this tonight! Love it!

Nadiya @ Milk and Honey May 8, 2012 at 8:10 am

Sweet :D I’ve never tried avocado in pudding before but I can imagine it being super creamy

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 8, 2012 at 8:43 am

Oh my goish! Why can’t I have avocado in the freezer? This is a wonderful recipe! Soon as I get home from work I’m going to put the svocado in the freezer and hopes that it freezes intime for dessert! This is perfect timing because I’m PMSing and this is such a great treat!!

LizAshlee May 8, 2012 at 9:00 am

Ohh…amazing!! I am definitely loving pudding lately, esp. chocolate…I have been making it with steamed carrots!! It’s divine..can’t wait to try this version too! http://lizashlee.com/?p=3107

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2012 at 5:11 pm

yum yours looks good!

Karla Porter Archer May 8, 2012 at 9:12 am

This is being made and consumed in my home TODAY!

Natalie Michael May 8, 2012 at 9:28 am

Angela

I made your chocolate chia pudding yesterday to sustain my chocolate cravings, and then I made your avocado pasta for dinner. My husband is loving you!!!! When I make this my whole family will be happy campers. Thank you SOOOO much for doing what you do. I appreciate it a ton, and so does my whole family.

With gratitude,

Natalie

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2012 at 10:11 am

Hey Natalie, Thanks so much for letting me know! I’m so glad you are all enjoying the recipes!

Hannah May 8, 2012 at 9:30 am

I LOVE the new header! What a cute idea :)

kalli May 8, 2012 at 9:34 am

oh this looks fabulous! definitely something i will try this weekend angela!

Mary May 8, 2012 at 10:21 am

This is incredibly good and so easy! Thank you for another delicious & healthy recipe.

Danielle May 8, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Angela, this is *the* best thing I’ve eaten in a long time…the name is so fitting! When I took the bag with frozen banana and avocado, to my frustration all the pieces clung together and I started smashing the bag on the kitchen counter like a…crazy woman! Couldn’t wait longer than I had to!

It turned out perfectly! I enjoyed it very much!

Danielle May 8, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I’ve also made a portion for my husband…but he’ll never know.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2012 at 1:13 pm

haha :)

VeggieGirl May 8, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I wish I was as creative when in a chocloate mood…I just head for the chocolate, full stop haha

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Yea I often do that too!

Laura Peill May 8, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Don’t worry, you aren’t alone . . . I may or may not have baked chocolate muffins this morning at 7:30. And then ate them for breakfast. Glad to know someone else shares my “crazy woman,” food desires:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2012 at 5:10 pm

That sounds way better than pudding! hah

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) May 8, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Do you mind bringing me some? I feel crazy today. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2012 at 5:09 pm

only if you will share :)

sara May 8, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Just made this-what a wonderful recipe! Feels healthy and still hits the chocolate spot! I really enjoy your blog it certainly perks me up over a rainy London lunch break at work :)

Jennifer M May 8, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Hi Angela,
I’m curious to know what kind of chocolate you use for your recepies?
I am under the impression tha most chocolate has a dairy ingredient to it. I’m also curious about
The type of bread you use for the same reason
Thanks!
Jen

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Hey Jennifer, Many dark chocolates are without dairy products, which is why I use them in my recipes. If you aren’t certain just check the label to be sure. As for the brand, it’s a new one I picked up the other day. It’s quite good.

suzanne May 8, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Just tried this….YUM!!!

Michelle May 8, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I have just died and gone to heaven! I have recently been searching the stores for a healthy pudding, but now i can make my own! Thanks for sharing!!

Lina May 8, 2012 at 10:24 pm

YUM! I know, it’s 11:22PM, but this pregnant lady needed something healthy and chocolaty… So just made and it’s delish…Do you think i can freeze some? I had a huge serving and still had some left over, what do you think?

[email protected] May 8, 2012 at 10:54 pm

It looks amazing! That’s awesome that you add dates to the recipe, they are high in dietary fiber, carbohydrates, and contain more potassium than bananas. Great addition to any kind of dessert recipe!

Laura May 9, 2012 at 12:20 am

Oooh boy, that looks amazing! I may need to avoid your site for a bit since I just started a new diet haha :)

Isa May 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Just tried this: This is the BEST chocolate chocolate dessert I have ever had (that’s including the time I could have dairy stuff).
can’t wait to make that for the kids (with a handful of fresh raspberries and walnuts or shredded coconut on top?… might as well LOL)
Thank you Angela !
Isa

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm

So glad that you love it!

Amanda May 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Just made this and it was to die for! I thought about not adding the ice cubes since everything was already frozen but Im glad I did. It was like a pudding pop in a glass. I used powdered steevia to sweeten it a little more because my sweet tooth cannot be tamed. Thank you so much for this recipe! Choco fix – solved.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Thats great to hear Amanda! Im making another batch tonight….dun dun dun

Bethany M May 10, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Oh my. I tried this recipe mostly out of curiosity, and it blew my mind! It tastes like soft serve chocolate ice cream! I made it this morning for breakfast before work because I thought, you know what? I think it’s going to be one of those days…. yes, I ate it all. It was crazy good, and I don’t even follow a vegan diet. :)

Dani May 12, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Do you think there’s a way to make it without the avocado? I love those things, but they give me a wicked stomachache. Maybe by substituting more banana…? I’ll also definitely try the chocolate smoothie recipe one of your commenters posted!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm

yup I think more banana would work :)

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See May 15, 2012 at 12:53 am

Chocolate and avocado? I’m game :)

Kelly Shaw May 15, 2012 at 10:50 am

This was delicious! Thanks so much Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 15, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Hey Kelly, Thanks for letting me know!

Katie @ Real Food Katie's Way May 15, 2012 at 9:39 pm

OH MAN I am SO making this this weekend. In fact I am walking to my kitchen and freezing a ripe banana and avocado right now.

You rock my world!

Andrea De Luca May 15, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I just made this…I cannot believe how good it tastes!!! However, it didn’t blend completely. I don’t have a Vitamix (just an ordinary blender). I didn’t mind the chunks of dates left behind though:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 16, 2012 at 6:37 am

Im happy you enjoyed it!

Alice May 25, 2016 at 8:38 am
Recipe Rating:

No Vitamix here either.
I added a dash more of almond milk whenever the blender seized up. Also to get it to point I could pour (slide?) from blender. Didn’t add ice.
Tasted phenomenal!

HeatherB May 16, 2012 at 10:29 am

I made this last night for my picky toddler eaters and everyone LOVED it. It tasted just like chocolate ice cream :) They got a ‘treat’ and I got the satisfaction of knowing they were getting some protein and healthy fat! Thank you.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 16, 2012 at 11:14 am

wow thats a score! Glad to hear it

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner May 16, 2012 at 9:03 pm

What an amazing recipe! :D I love how you used both an avocado AND a banana — I bet it tastes INCREDIBLE!!! <3

Ruth May 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Just made this…aaaah. A great way to relax after a long week! Thanks, Angela!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm

enjoy Ruth!

Kayti May 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I am not a pudding fan but after seeing this recipe, I knew I had to try it. To me, it’s really not like pudding at all, more like soft serve ice cream only healthy!!!!! And way more delicious! I added shredded coconut to the mix too. Mmmmm. Super yummy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Glad it passed the test!

Becky May 22, 2012 at 7:24 pm

This is incredible! Might have to buy a Vitamix just so I can make this on a daily basis. My blender took forever to mix this up and it left bits of date throughout. Regardless, it was amazing. Can’t wait to make it for my 3 year old as she loves chocolate pudding. This is so much healthier. Oh, and it was one serving for me (easily)!

Alice May 25, 2016 at 8:48 am
Recipe Rating:

No Vitamix here either.
Tasted phenomenal!

Matt G. June 5, 2012 at 11:46 am

I made this for The Wife a few weeks ago and she loved it! I completely shocked her with the ingredient list. The kitchen was a mess (shaved chocolate everywhere as I rushed to serve it cold) but it was worth it.

Any other ideas for using medjool dates? I wanted to buy the fresher, soft ones but it was a container of 15+ so I bought dried instead. The softer ones probably would have been better. I did forget to soak them…I’ll try that with the dried ones next time.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Hey Matt, Sounds like my own kitchen (a big mess! ha) I’m glad that your wife enjoyed the pudding…so nice of you to make it for her! As for date recipes, here are a some on my recipage: http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?search_term=dates&ui=133

Lina June 5, 2012 at 6:59 pm

This was so good after a hard run! I didn’t add any dates, because I was out (yeah, 75% of the time I never have the proper ingredients for what I want to make), but this was so unbelievably creamy and smooth. Oh goodness… so good!

Kimberly Andresen-Reed June 10, 2012 at 10:18 am

I had this this morning, minus the vanilla extract since I have the imitation stuff and don’t want to ruin a perfectly healthy dish with artificial flavors (I’m making my own real vanilla extract soon, so excited!).

I had the frozen avocado since I saw this recipe a couple weeks ago, but I used up all my frozen bananas last night by making some strawberry banana soft serve–I’m putting my new kitchenaid food processor through its paces–so I put a few teaspoons of chia seed in and let it sit in the fridge for 10 minutes or so to firm up. And oh is it amazing! Chocolate for breakfast is my favorite! (I normally do your vegan overnight oats with cocoa powder) Sooo good.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012 at 8:11 am

Glad to hear that Kimberly!

aimee June 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I made up a batch of this pudding yesterday but did not eat it (except for licking the spoonds and cleaning out the blender!) – Instead, I poured it in to popsicle moulds to freeze! We have just tested them out and they are delicious! Just like a chocolate-banana fudgsicle… perfect for this hot summer day :)

Anna June 16, 2012 at 1:50 pm

If you were to use maple syrup instead of dates how much would you use?

Anna June 16, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Also, how do you freeze your avacados? Do you just throw the whole thing in the freezer?

Matt G. June 25, 2012 at 11:06 am

I was going to ask this same question. I pre-cut my avocado and diced in the skin prior to freezing….I thought that would be enough prep. But removing skin after freezing wasn’t fun. While trying to scrape the skin off with a spoon, I managed to create a projectile and half the avocado flew up and smacked me in the face.

Anna July 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I finally got around to trying this and I actually didn’t have as much trouble with the avocado as I anticipated. I just cut it in half, removed the pit and threw it in the freezer, and although it was hard as a rock when I took it out, I found that submerging it in hot water for about 30 seconds made it easy to peel the skin off while the flesh remained frozen.

Amanda June 26, 2012 at 11:46 pm

That looks like a bit of heaven. How come mine never look so good when I make stuff like this? You must have the touch…

Joanna August 10, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Just made this pudding for my family and — in spite of neither the bananas nor the avocado being completely frozen, forgetting to put in the vanilla, and using maple syrup in spite of dates — hubby and kiddies LOVED it. They wanted to know if I added whipped cream to it. This is not the first of your recipes we`ve tried, and they`ve all been a hit. Thank you!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 12, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Hey Joanna, So glad to hear this!! Thanks for your comment.

Tatomme @ FreshPotater August 13, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Oh my gosh! I just made this and it is absolutely amazing and exactly what I needed for my “crazy woman” week! Thank you!!

Sarah August 20, 2012 at 10:09 am

I started making this for dessert for me and the husband man in July when we first started dabbling with Vegan meals and cut out all our dairy. I made it last weekend when we were visitng family for my nephews and sisters who are a little skeptic. The 10, 6, adn 5 year olds inhaled it faster than I could blink. My brother in law confiscated his daughters (she’s picky and just wanted it because her big brothers had one) and then he got caught stealing my sister’s…. they couldn’t believe that there was a frozen Avocado in it. :)

Vienna October 18, 2012 at 2:09 am

You know it’s a good recipe when you are sweeping the inside of the blender with your finger! Thank you for this excellent contribution to the world! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 18, 2012 at 8:32 am

hah glad you enjoy it!

Liz October 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I finally took the time to try this. Yum, yum!

Anna October 23, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I’ve tried and tried to make pudding with avocado. I can never get it to taste like pudding instead of cocoa flavored avocado. Am I missing something?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2012 at 7:27 am

salt & sweetener really help mask the flavour of the avocado. Some avocados can have a stronger flavour so just add sweetener to taste until it’s not detectable. Mind you, there will still be a hint of the avocado!

shani October 29, 2012 at 8:06 am

thank you thank you thank you for this simple, quick and yummy recipe :)

Aerie November 11, 2012 at 10:04 am

This is fabulous! I am just a little irritated that you gave me permission to eat the whole batch, because I often do! :)

Sara January 27, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Very belatedly: Wait, you can *freeze* avocados? THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

(Okay, maybe not *everything*, but it’s still pretty brilliant, as is the pudding!)

Veggie February 20, 2013 at 9:40 am

This pudding looks amazing!!!

Kate May 29, 2013 at 1:00 pm

What are you talking about??? If iI double this recipe it will be enough for dinner, plus I would have to make another for dessert…
Lol just kidding. But seriously if I did the same thing with only half a banana and maybe a third of an avocado?? (Idk) and then added in some cooked quinoa then it would be an awesome, perfect size workout smoothie… And if I did it in the food processor without the milk then I could get…. I could get… Breakfast ice cream!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013 at 5:07 pm

haha :) For a second I thought someone was fighting me over chocolate and I almost cried. hah
ps- go for it!

Keri June 15, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Just made this and I must say it is fantastic. Totally tackled a crazy chocolate craving that has been taunting me. By the way this was husband approved (as most of your recipes are)!

Carla July 11, 2013 at 12:45 pm

loved it i am 13 years old and it was absolutley delicious i was worried cause it has avacodos but you cant even taste them. it tasted delicious with frozen bananas (my brother always uses them for smoothies) and i chilled my avacodes for like 5 mins, and added 5 ice cubes!! soooo good. i also used unsewwetened coco powder because i didnt have regular, but i added 2 tablespoons of sugar and it was sooooo goooood!! mine was a little thin so im just drinking it like a smoothie dellicious i will for sure make this for realtives… i wont tell them about avacodes. and its healthy!!! also my brother is vegan and he was shocked ot ind out that it was vegan he loved it too i will be sure to make him this again!!

Jan October 22, 2013 at 7:55 am

Hi – Just made this pudding though I would call it an ice cream – absolutely right to have everything frozen – it tastes very like Ben and Jerry’s!!

This is a must make – so quick and easy – and yes, in the UK we can get all of these ingredients!

Jan

Karen January 31, 2014 at 1:15 pm

This sounds delicious, but raw banana does a number on my stomach. Any thoughts of how to substitute? Maybe increase the amount of chia seeds?

Anette February 5, 2014 at 7:28 am

That turned out absolutely AMAZING ! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Katrina March 21, 2014 at 5:26 pm

this makes the best fudge-cicles on the planet!

Rebecca April 13, 2014 at 11:19 am

Amazing recipe! So light and fluffy.

Bernadette December 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm

This is so amazingly good. Deep, rich, creamy, dark, cold chocolate pudding that’s healthy! Thank you!

Bernadette December 16, 2014 at 8:23 pm

This is really really delicious! It makes enough for three big servings or four smaller. I tried freezing it and letting it thaw at room temp and it just wasn’t the same, gets watery.

Heather May 4, 2015 at 9:50 pm
Recipe Rating:

It’s AMAZING!! What’s a good way to make it thicker and more pudding like? Less almond milk or maybe freeze it for a bit after??

Kristen June 25, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Angela, Hi…we loooove you and ALL of your recipes and can’t wait to buy multiple copes of the new cookbook! Sooo could you take your chocolate pudding recipe and add more ice to the recipe to make ice cream in the vitamix? Just curious…they made a demo chocolate ice cream when I bought my vitamix but I can’t seem to find the recipe online! So I went to you my healthy food maven/ guru! Thank you in advance for taking time to respond. Kristen

Angela H. August 21, 2015 at 8:39 am
Recipe Rating:

I tried this a few times and once I finally got it right I realized that it’s really the most amazing thing ever! Thank you for the recipe, and all of your other recipes. Your blog is my go-to spot for great meal (and dessert) ideas. When is your new book coming out?

lacey December 28, 2015 at 10:08 pm

This was so delicious, I added peppermint extract and it was AMAZING!
Thanks for the recipe!

Jessica Hall December 1, 2017 at 4:06 pm

I have had a crazy craving for chocolate of late and this was perfect! I had it for my lunch… love your recipes and cookbook.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2017 at 8:10 am

Hey Jessica, So happy this one was a hit! I was just thinking of this recipe last night (but alas, was too lazy to make it…hehe)