Crazy Woman Chocolate Blender Pudding

IMG 9820   Crazy Woman Chocolate Blender Pudding

This 60-second recipe happened as a result of a major chocolate craving over the weekend. If PMS is good for one thing and one thing only it’s for inspiring many of my favourite recipes. This weekend, I was craving this secret-ingredient chocolate pudding like a crazy woman, but I didn’t have a couple of the ingredients on hand.

What’s a crazy woman to do?

I decided to make the best of the ingredients I did have and make a spin-off of this recipe: an all-natural chocolate pudding sweetened only with banana and medjool dates. Dates and banana are popular sweeteners in many raw avocado pudding recipes so I thought I would finally try it out myself. Instead of making this a super rich pudding like my last one, I lightened it up and made it in the blender!

IMG 97971   Crazy Woman Chocolate Blender Pudding

It did not disappoint.

This recipe is a hybrid of a luxurious chocolate smoothie and a decadent-but good-for-you chocolate pudding. Is it a p’moothie or a sudding? Thankfully I dropped those names from the title.

Technically, it can serve 2-4, but if you are like me, you might find yourself eating most of the batch on your own. I understand those days…I really do.

IMG 9817   Crazy Woman Chocolate Blender Pudding

Crazy Woman Chocolate Blender Pudding

Adapted from secret-ingredient chocolate pudding.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 2 cups

Ingredients:

• 1/2 large avocado, frozen (flesh only)
  • 1 large ripe banana, peeled and frozen
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 2 tbsp raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
  • 2 medjool dates, pitted (or liquid sweetener)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt
  • shaved chocolate and shredded coconut, to garnish
  • 3-4 ice cubes, add until very cold

1. This is the hard part: You need to freeze your banana and avocado beforehand! This results in an ice cream like texture, so it’s always a good idea to have some frozen bananas and avocado in your freezer for desperate times. If you simply cannot wait, then go ahead and make it with room temp ingredients, just amp up the ice so it’s super cold. But honestly, you have to try this with them frozen to really experience it fully! Trust me on this one.

2. Add your almond milk first into the blender (always) followed by the frozen avocado flesh, frozen banana, cacao or cocoa powder, pitted dates, vanilla, and a pinch of sea salt (amazing). Process until smooth. Process in ice until very very cold (you don’t want this luke warm). Pour into parfait glasses, mini bowls, or into a huge glass all for yourself. Like I said, I won’t judge. Best served immediately!

IMG 9779   Crazy Woman Chocolate Blender Pudding

Shaved dark chocolate is a very good idea.

So is inhaling some pudding immediately after the photoshoot.

IMG 9819   Crazy Woman Chocolate Blender Pudding

It’s really a miracle I could wait that long.

Yellow Haired Girl May 7, 2012

Ahhh! This look fantastic. And even better that it’s been coined a “Crazy Woman” recipe ;)

Earthy Nicole May 7, 2012

Yay, a new recipe just in the knick of time! Haha… Did you name it ‘crazy woman’ or did Eric?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

He calls me crazy woman often so I thought the name was fitting. :) Although some days I think he needs a crazy man pudding…

Earthy Nicole May 7, 2012

Lol, sounds like my husband!

Catalina @ Cake with Love May 7, 2012

This sounds and looks amazing, I am making this!!!

Alex @ Raw Recovery May 7, 2012

I was in extreme need for this over the weekend! When I buy bananas today I’m TOTALLY going to make this. It looks heavenly!! Thanks for sharing, have a great Monday!

Carrie May 7, 2012

Yum! I still haven’t tried avocado pudding – I’ll bet it’s amazing!

Kilee May 7, 2012

I try not to keep chocolate bars laying around the house, but always wish I did once my PMS kicks in. Maybe I’ll stash a few in the freezer for emergency purposes – like making this pudding! Have a great day Angela :)

Cookie and Kate May 7, 2012

Sometimes a girl’s just gotta have her chocolate. I’ve been meaning to try an avocado pudding recipe… this one looks like a winner!

Britny W May 7, 2012

Love chocolate anything, and love the title of this recipe! I just recently got my first bag of cacao powder so will definitely have to use it in this! This weekend I made myself a chocolate coconut cream “milkshake” with frozen bananas, cocoa powder, almond milk, and coconut milk whipped cream. It was heavenly! Who needs sonic or dairy queen?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

That sounds right up my alley :)

Bonnie May 8, 2012

Hi Britny,
Would you be willing to share the recipe for your choc. coconut cream ‘milkshake’?

Britny W May 8, 2012

Bonnie, I didn’t really follow a recipe exactly but here’s what I did: If you take an opened can of coconut milk and put it in the fridge overnight it makes it have the consistency of whipped cream. I put one frozen banana cut up into slices in my blender, followed by about a cup and a half of almond milk, and about a tbsp of cocoa powder. Blend until you get the desired texture. I added my coconut milk cream once I poured the contents of the blender into my glass. You can add as much as preferred! I was naughty and also topped mine with chocolate chips. Enjoy!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} May 7, 2012

Love this!! My 3 year olds favorite chocolate “pudding” is made with avocados. I’m going to have to try freezing the avocado first–what a great idea. I always have to chill ours for a while before we eat it. Problem solved!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

Hope you enjoy it!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 7, 2012

Oh wow, I could do with some of this right this second!! Dark chocolate makes anything better, and when it’s raw and combined with things like cacao and avocado, it’s practically health food right? ;)

Allison @ Decadent Philistines Save the World May 7, 2012

This looks lovely! I am now even MORE sad that my blender died and that I haven’t been able to replace it yet. However, this will be on the “to do” list when I get a new one. YUM!

Ranelle May 7, 2012

I’m buying avocados tonight!! Now I will be guilt-free when I succumb to my chocolate cravings this week ;)

Willow May 7, 2012

Haha, I would not have been able to restrain myself to take more than a blurry phone-photo of this. It looks so good, and the perfect “healthy” cure to chocolate cravings! Also… I happen to always have bags of frozen banana and avocado (among other fruits) in the freezer for making smoothies, sooo….. nothing’s stopping me! *Dashes off to the kitchen*

Jill May 7, 2012

Genius! Love this!

Carissa May 7, 2012

Mmmmm this looks fantastic! I tried an avocado pudding before & wasn’t impressed. I think freezing it would really help!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

yea I find freezing it does help take the edge of the flavour off. It’s best consumed right away!

Katie @ Creature of Habit May 7, 2012

Yep. Totally think this would be just eaten straight out of the blender by me. Looks delish!

Tonya May 7, 2012

smudding?

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 7, 2012

Looks fabulous and just this weekend I took a ripe avocado and made blender pudding with it….with a boatload of cocoa powder and agave. GREAT PICS!

Melissa @ squatsandsquash May 7, 2012

Love this recipe, it looks delicious!! Who would’ve thought?!?

Anne May 7, 2012

Help! I’ve tried making banana soft serve a few times, and it never tastes right…there’s a distinctly “off” taste, and I’m convinced the bananas had freezer burn. How do you freeze yours so they don’t get freezer burn? Do you peel and cut them up first? What do you put them in? Thanks!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

Hey Anne, I think the key is using ripe bananas but not TOO ripe to the point where they are mush and brown. I’ve tried freezing too ripe bananas for BSS and it didn’t turn out great in texture or taste. I usually store mine in a baggie or tupperware with plastic wrap around them first. I find they usually do get a bit of freezerburn regardless, however I try to use them up the same week I freeze them. Does that help at all?

Kristin May 7, 2012

Oh wow, that looks super good, I rarely have chocolate cravings but when I do, I need a fix! I will definitely be trying this soon :)

Ashley May 7, 2012

This looks so delicious! Thank you so much for bringing so many wonderful recipes into my life. Before finding your blog a year ago I never would have imagined how delicious and easy vegan cooking could be, you have transformed me!
PS I absolutely love the new banner! So fresh!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

Thank you Ashley, that means a lot to me!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 7, 2012

the new header is so fun!

and who doesn’t need some chocolate pudding on the fly? i don’t even think you have to be a crazy woman for that! :)

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition May 7, 2012

Love this post – looks so good! Now I really, really want to try to make a pudding with avocado’s.. it’s all I seem to hear about lately.

Dairy Free Chick May 7, 2012

This looks delicious! Did you use your vitamix? I use a regular blender and was wondering if the dates process well without presoaking? If I don’t soak I usually get a mealy texture…

thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

Good question! My dates were super soft so I think they would work in any blender…I will certainly add a tip about soaking if they are firm. Thanks for the idea!

Hailey May 7, 2012

Oh my goodness, this looks phenomenal! I can’t wait to try this. Definitely will be one serving for this girl. :-)

Lauren May 7, 2012

This looks great! I love your pudding with avocado and almond butter. My absolute favorite recipe!

Kathryn May 7, 2012

I NEVER would have thought to freeze avocado! This looks so tasty.

Jasper {crunchylittlebites} May 7, 2012

I still get a kick out of your healthy chia choc. pudding :) And I made a spinach, cocoa, broccoli smoothie this morning. You’d a been proud!

Amy @Health Hungry May 7, 2012

I have GOT to try this! Thankfully I think it will be just the time of month to do so… ;) Avocadoes are fabulous for females who are dealing with some hormone fluxes, and of course chocolate goes without saying!

Sat May 7, 2012

I can’t wait to try this. This looks soooo yummy.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 7, 2012

Yes, shaved dark chocolate sounds like a VERY good idea!

Kate @ life's precious moments May 7, 2012

Oh my goodness! Your header is adorable!! I saw you tweet a picture of it.. but I always read your posts on google reader and decided to click to your actual website today.

So gosh darn cute!

Yumm.. that recipe looks delicious as always!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

Thanks Kate!

Sonja May 7, 2012

Hi Angela – this looks delicious and I definitely want to try it! Do you know what the calorie count would be per serving? Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

No Im sorry I dont, but you can try nutrition data website. Its a free program to calculate nutritional info.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 7, 2012

This is so random but it sounds great!!!

DessertForTwo May 7, 2012

Yum! I could sure use this once a month, and maybe even more! ;)

Bailey May 7, 2012

Sounds delicious as always! By, the way, I love the glasses! Perfect for serving!

Amber K May 7, 2012

I haven’t thought to freeze avocado, but I’m going to have to try it! I love adding it to smoothies to make them more pudding-like and if freezing them first can make everything creamier I can’t wait to try it.

Somer May 7, 2012

Having some crazy woman PMS myself right now. Unfortunately when that happens, I usually turn into a hoover vacuum and eat everything in sight. Thanks for providing me with a chocolate option to hoover that won’t turn me into a bloated hephalump!

Michelle@Peachy Palate May 7, 2012

I think I may have to make this pudding for my lunch sometime this week! Do you know if it keeps? Or is that a silly question! I just mean if I make it the night before?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

It’s best served immediately for sure! I tried it later on and it wasn’t quite as good. I think it has something to do with the ingredients being frozen to begin with. Picture a ripe banana thawing and it gets a bit watery.

steph @ lungesandlunch May 8, 2012

I live alone, so that’s the perfect justification as to why I have to eat the whole thing myself. ;)

Also, this is such good timing. I just bought avocados at the market and don’t know what to do with all of them. I didn’t even think of freezing them! Green smoothies (really I mean puddings) here I come!

Page 1 of 3123»