Sun-dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

IMG 9737   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

Eric has this new thing for kale chips.

Specifically, “cheezy” kale chips. The guy is practically obsessed. Every time we find ourselves in Organic Garage, he sneaks a bag of kale chips into the cart and then gets annoyed with me if I eat too many of “his” chips. I never thought I’d have to fight him for a dried up green leaf! When we first met, his vegetable consumption consisted of potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, and corn. Eleven years later, I don’t think there’s a vegetable he won’t eat. Give me time and I can wear down even the toughest critic.

Well, this kale chip obsession motivated me to dig out my rarely used dehydrator and start making kale chips again. Have you ever had cheezy kale chips? They are basically “chips” made from torn kale leaves which are coated in a “cheezy” cashew sauce and then dehydrated until crisp. They are ridiculously addictive. I personally cannot figure out how to make a batch last more than 1 day.

IMG 9742   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

I’ve made Doug McNish’s sour cream and onion kale chips many times in the past and they are always incredible. For this batch, I decided to make a new flavour with sundried tomatoes, basil, and other seasonings for a fun twist. Very tasty idea. I found myself just eating the sauce-covered pieces of raw kale before they even were put into the dehydrator. Always a good sign the recipe will be a success!

IMG 9723   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

I spread out the batch on 3 trays and set the temperature to 105-110F. Then I left it overnight for about 12 hours until they were nice and crispy. I awoke to this.

Breakfast?

IMG 9725   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

Sun-dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

Like nachos only better tasting and better for you. Satisfy your every chip craving with these cheezy, salty, green, and crispy kale chips!

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Ingredients:

• 1 large bunch of kale, stems discarded and leaves ripped up
  • 30 grams organic sundried tomatoes, soaked in water to soften for at least 1 hour (see note)
  • 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 1 hour
  • 2 large garlic cloves
  • 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp soaking water from tomatoes
  • 2-4 tbsp fresh basil
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste

1. In two separate bowls, soak the sundried tomatoes and cashews in water for at least 1 hour, but preferably 1.5-2 hours if possible. After soaking, reserve the tomato soaking water and set aside. Drain and rinse the cashews.

2. In a food processor, with the machine running, drop in the garlic and process until minced.

3.. Add in the rest of the ingredients except the salt. Process until smooth, scraping sides as necessary, and add salt slowly to taste.

4. Wash the kale leaves and tear the kale into pieces, discarding the stems. Dry the leaves in a salad spinner (this helps the sauce stick). Place greens into a large bowl. Pour the cheeze sauce on top of the kale and stir with a spoon. Then toss the spoon and get in there with your hands to massage the sauce into the kale until well coated. Season with salt to taste. I used a few shakes of Herbamare.

5. Dehydrate for about 12 hours at 105-110F. Kale chips are ready when they are super crispy and taste magnificent. I dare you not to eat a full batch in 1 day.

Note: My sun-dried tomatoes were very hard and dry so I had to soak them first for about 1-2 hours. If you are using oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, you obviously won’t have to soak them first. I would add them to taste and then use filtered water as needed, rather than the soaking water

IMG 5971   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

I bought my Excalibur dehydrator a few years ago when I was running the bakery. I have one of their largest models because I was making over 200 raw bars at a time in it. It was a bit insane. If I could do it again I would have a smaller model for personal use (they do have many sizes too). The Excalibur works well and I haven’t had any issues with it. I do find the “humming” noise to be a bit annoying, so I like to dehydrate overnight whenever possible.

IMG 9335   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale ChipsIMG 9727   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

If any of you have a dehydrator, feel free to leave a comment with the brand and model as a few readers have asked me for recommendations. Bonus points if you have a recommendation for a reliable dehydrator at a low price!!

Now, I know you are wondering…well, can I use my oven if I don’t have a dehydrator? I’ve been told that it’s possible. If some of you have made cheezy kale chips in the oven, please leave a comment below and let us know what temp, method, and duration you used. Merci!

Nicole May 7, 2012

Not sure if anyone else tried this yet or not, but I did make some kale chips on Saturday and stored them in a glass jar. They are still nice and crispy today (Monday)! Oh, and I made them in the oven, too. Love the new banner! :)

Linda Brennan May 7, 2012

HI, lovely to read all these comments about kale chips. Yes, they are crispy, delicious and good enough to be a tasty snack without all the calories and fat or ‘normal’ fried crisps. Your recipe will be on my list to try when the kale is in season again – which will be about a month here in the Aussie subtropics
This year I’m growing 4 different sorts of heritage kales because we have just become hooked on kale chips. The purple frilly kale leaves and the Red Bor look awesome in the garden.
Thanks for your lovely blog Angela!

Tammy Blankenheim May 7, 2012

Ok, I am new to Kale Chips. Trying to eat healthier and try new things. I have never heard of Nutritional Yeast. Do you have to add the yeast to have the sauce the correct consistancy?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2012

its not so much for the consistency, but for a bit of cheese like flavour. I do think the recipe will work without it though. It just might not have as much cheeze flavour.

Tammy Blankenheim May 8, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply. I am going to go to our Natural Food Store later today and see if I can find some! Really looking forward to trying this recipe!

Tammy Blankenheim May 10, 2012

Tried this last night & am munching on them today! Very good Sun Dried Tomato flavor. I will be making these more offen! Just need to have my Husband try them! Thanks again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2012

Glad to hear that!

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com May 8, 2012

I usually soak my nuts over night to get enzyme inhibitors out of them.

Matt Lurie May 9, 2012

Pictures look great! Thanks for mentioning the store.

Matt Lurie
President & CEO
Organic Garage Ltd.

Cortnie May 13, 2012

LOVE the new header!!

xo
cortnie

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See May 15, 2012

My toaster oven doubles as a dehydrator, so I may have to give this a try :)

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See May 15, 2012

Being that I’m a total chip addict, these sound fantastic!

Crystal from Hawaii May 27, 2012

Hey guys!!! I am a Lover of kale chips as too. I turn my oven as low as it will go and then on a cookie sheet I put a cooling rack on it and then add my kale. It helps the air to get all around the kale. It takes about 30-40 min. Depending on how much you put on the sheet. Very yummy!!! Love your blog…So many recipes I want to try out!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2012

Thanks Crystal!

Anna June 23, 2012

Hi there!

Do you know if you can substitute anything for the nuts – beans and some oil? I have some friends who are allergic to nuts, so cashews wouldn’t work too well Also, have you ever tried it with red pepper instead of sun-dried tomatoes? In addition to getting rid of allergens, I’m trying to think lower cost. : )

Anna (college student)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2012

No I’m really sorry but I don’t know of any subs. I haven’t tried that substitue, but it sounds good!

Dr Becky July 12, 2012

Love your kale chip recipes. I am soaking my cashews, as I type this, so that I can make the ‘cheesy’ chips. Can’t wait!!!
Question? Why are there ads on your site for Harry and Davids and Fiber One Bars? I can’t imagine you eat these products. I’m confused.
Love your content….just perplexed about your ads.

Jocelyne July 16, 2012

I have a Baron with 10 shelves. The thermostat doesn’t work so it is always on low. I dry my cherries in my little green house ( 6×8)and plan to try kale chips in it as it heats to 120F in a sunny day with the window and the door closed,.

Taya July 19, 2012

Angela-

Can these be made without nutritional yeast? I don’t have any on hand right now and I just bought a big bunch of kale from the farmer’s market today.
Thanks so much! We can’t wait to try them!!
Taya

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

Im sure you can Taya. It will have a slightly less “cheezy” flavour but im sure it will still taste good.

Michele August 1, 2012

Absolutely A-MA-ZING!

Charlene August 10, 2012

I have made cheesy kale chips in the oven, many times. I have a convection oven that I set to 325 deg for 10 to 15 min, using the lower 2 racks. About half way through I switch the two cookie sheets out, for a more even crispiness. Oh…. and use parchment paper so mixture doesn’t stick to sheets!!

TIP: If there is such a thing as leftover kale chips, store in paper bag for best result (may go stale after more than 2 days). I once was out of paper and used a plastic bag for camping trip. Chips were very soggy!! I decided that since truck dash was so hot from sun, to take chips and lay them on the outside of the bag….presto, crispiness again!!! If at home you can also revive in oven, on cookie sheets for a few minutes too. Hope this has been helpful!!

Laura August 30, 2012

This recipe is SO DELICIOUS! These are better than potato chips, and much healthier! :) The tomatoes I used the first time needed to be soaked longer, so now I soak the tomatoes overnight first.

Katie September 9, 2012

This cheese sauce is fantastic!! I am writing this as my kale is drying and dipping some raw kale and sauce I left out to eat right away – love, love it!! Thanks for the post.
Katie

Laurie December 19, 2012

I love my Excalibur and dry many different foods with it. I haven’t tried Kale so am doing it today. But another really good item to try is tomato slices both plain and flavored. They crisp up beautifully and provide a burst of tomato goodness. I would dry them half way then brush them with your sauce!

joanne January 6, 2013

How imperative is it to use the yeast. I presume one may use spinach leaves also?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2013

The nutritional yeast lends a bit of a cheese like flavour but you can certainly leave it out. Spinach wont work unfortunately – it just wilts if I remember correctly. enjoy!

Christine January 24, 2013

DEE-lish! I am loving these…especially good when I wanted a savory, crunchy snack. Thank you!

Wendy February 10, 2013

For oven baked kale chips, I follow this recipe which works beautifully:
Not sure if this would work with the extra moisture from the tomatoe/cashew sauce.
My husband and 6 year old son love them, so they disappear shortly after coming out of the oven.

laekker April 17, 2013

Out of sheer curiosity have you ever cooked with cannabis?

lori April 22, 2013

I just made some baked kale in the oven…no issues with it burning…as the recipe had me put in oven at 175 for 30 mins….then turn oven off for 30 mins.but leave in oven…then flip leaves over..turn oven back on same temp for 30 mins…off and sit in oven again for 30 mins….at this point they were suppose to be done- but I had to turn mine back on for another 15….may seem time consuming but I was working around the house anyway….they turned out great..not burnt !

Jenny Wheelan June 28, 2013

These are the most delicious kale chips I have ever eaten! They put the store bought ones to shame!!!

Brian August 6, 2013

I did not see how much Cheese to use in the recipe. Could you let me know?

Thanks so much,
Brian

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 7, 2013

I think I used all of it. If your kale bunch is small you might want to add more kale if the sauce is too thick. enjoy!

Brian August 6, 2013

OOPs, Is the cashews and other ingrediants that you blend the cheese sauce? Sorry I am new to this.

Thanks

Cindy August 28, 2013

Just dehydrated kale straight from the garden…so delish! I don’t even cut it up, just give my kids whole dried leaves and we all just love it. Great new recipe, thanks!

sandra December 27, 2013

I’m a little late to the kale chip party, but I have a batch of these in my Nesco for just under 6 hrs at 115 degrees, and I just ate a salad plate full of them! But with one major change since I’m not patient at all and can’t have cashews in the house unless they’re preportioned! So I substituted a handful of whole almonds, unsoaked, straight out of the bag. And the chips were glorious!! My husband hasn’t discovered them yet, so I’m going to store them in a Food Saver canister with a chalkboard label that’s marked “Nasty”. ha

Candace January 20, 2014

Hello! I noticed in your article you said Eric went from eating a very limited variety of vegetables to eating almost all vegetable. My question is, how did you do that? My husband is incredibly picky. If it looks strange or has a unique color he won’t touch it (Let me add, what is considered strange to him is spinach or butternut squash). He grew up eating mostly frozen dinners and fast food and after being together for nearly 5 years he will eat a few more things but still not what is needed. So getting a picky husband to eat better is possible, how did you do it?
Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2014

Hi Candace,
Years ago when my husband didn’t eat a wide variety of plant-based foods, he would always promise to try one bite of whatever I made. I think this was key because over time, these small bites grew on him and he started eating a bit more and a bit more. Now, over 5 years later, he eats hundreds of new foods that he never used to enjoy.

Stephanie Owens January 29, 2014

Never made cheesy kale chips but I do make all sorts of other kinds and I make them in my oven all the time. They turn out great and it’s hard not to eat them all in one sitting!!! I sympathize with your husband…it’s hard to share something so delicious!!! I treat my kale the same as you. Make sure you dry it really well. Then I coat mine in tiny bit of olive oil or any healthy oil and my seasoning blend – depending on whatever flavor I want. Spread in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake at 250 degrees until they are crisp completely. Let cool completely before storing. I never make it to this last part. In my house we eat them all and we never have to worry with storage.

Lauren April 6, 2014

These are absolutely amazing as is–but I’m going to try them with canned chipotles instead of sundried tomatoes today!

Page 3 of 3«123