Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing

IMG 95181   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing IMG 95134   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing

As May approaches and spring is in full force, I’m finding excuses to walk everywhere, lugging my camera in tote. I have a blister and sore right shoulder to prove it! Tulips, daffodils, and cherry blossoms are in bloom, tiny green leaves sprout, I’m sneezing like crazy, and our car is a lovely shade of bird poop.

Here are a few of my favourite shots that I took over the past week.

IMG 96145   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil DressingIMG 96182   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil DressingIMG 9680   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing IMG 96261   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil DressingIMG 9629   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing IMG 9652   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing IMG 9653   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil DressingIMG 9671   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil DressingIMG 9670   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing20120426 193506   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing

In addition to going on lots of walks, salads also returned to my life after a somewhat rocky and distant relationship over the winter. All I can say is thank goodness for Green Monsters or my body might not have seen a leafy green from November ‘til March!

I’m finally craving things that look as pretty as it is outside.

IMG 9519 2   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing

This dressing is inspired by my Strawberry Cherry Basil Smoothie, after falling in love with the flavour combination last year. Into the processor went fresh strawberries and basil, along with fresh lemon juice, a touch of olive oil, pure maple syrup, fine grain sea salt, & black pepper. It’s healthy and light, yet creamy and indulgent tasting. Definitely my new go-to dressing!

IMG 94881   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing

I just spooned it into my mouth over and over while I questioned if making a salad was even necessary. Luckily, the salad took only a few minutes to throw together and I was rewarded with one of my favourite dishes of the season. I can’t think of a better way to welcome May, other than perhaps being surprised with a car wash…

Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing

Print, email, or text this recipe

for the dressing (yield: 2/3 cup):

• 1 cup fresh strawberries
  • 1/4 cup packed fresh basil
  • 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1-2 tsp pure maple syrup, to taste
  • fine grain sea salt & black pepper, to taste (I used 1/4 tsp each)

for the salad:

• Slivered almonds, toasted
  • shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted
  • mixed greens
  • strawberries, chopped
  • chiffonade fresh basil

1. Preheat the oven to 300F. Toast the almonds for about 7-8 minutes and then remove and add the coconut. Toast another 2-4 minutes, or until lightly golden, watching closely so the coconut doesn’t burn.

2. In a food processor, add the strawberries, basil, lemon juice, and oil. Process until smooth. Add in the salt, pepper, and maple syrup to taste and process again.

3. Assemble the salad as desired. Leftover dressing should keep for at least a few days in a sealed container.

IMG 9508   Spring Salad with Strawberry Lemon Basil Dressing

Congrats again to Jenny B. for winning the cookbook giveaway!

DG April 30, 2012

squirrel! you take such lovely pictures.

Sophie April 30, 2012

this looks so delicious. my mom and i used to have “bunny days” in which we would eat things that bunnies would like. this would fit right in!
sophie
princessrhyme.blogspot.com

FITskitz April 30, 2012

The photo of your salad is gorgeous, especially with the backdrop of the wooden table. I am fairly new to your blog and am looking forward to making many of your recipes. Dying to try your perfect veggie burger too. I do my best to influence people to eat more vegan meals here in Kansas and beyond:).

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 30, 2012

So happy to hear that, thank you!

Yellow Haired Girl April 30, 2012

One word: yum. I have no others :) hahaha. Love the new banner!

Cait's Plate April 30, 2012

Your photos are GORGEOUS!

Steph April 30, 2012

I will be trying this! Love the new header too!

Moni Meals April 30, 2012

What a great spring salad! I love the dressing here and so fresh.

Great pics, love the new header, and congrats to the cookbook winner too.

Meg April 30, 2012

The header is nice, but it looks very fall ish.. like it would have been launched in September.. pretty cool though. Did you take that photo?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2012

Yea I know what you mean. I think it’s the dark wood background that is throwing me off! I think a lighter background would work better. Yup I took the pictures.

Kelly April 30, 2012

I love the new banner!! And the rest of your pictures! The recipe sounds good too ; )

Jenny April 30, 2012

Hey Angela! Salad looks so good! Can’t wait till market season for all the fresh produce :)
I’ll be in Oakville next Tues…….want a running buddy?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2012

Aw I would but unfortunately I’m still not running due to my knee. Spinning, pilates, & yoga for me right now!

Jenny May 1, 2012

Rats! I’m loving hot yoga right now. Great foil for the running. Rest up and hopefully we’ll get out sometime this summer :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2012

Sounds like a plan :)

Bridget April 30, 2012

Great photos! I LOVE your new header… its so pretty with all the colors and the wood background. I think its perfect!

Katie April 30, 2012

This is similar to one of my favorite salads at a local restaurant! It has mixed greens, balsamic roasted asparagus, sunflower seeds, mint, strawberries, goat cheese (which would be omitted in a vegan recipe!) and balsamic vinaigrette. I like your version with the basil too!! Yum!

Von L. April 30, 2012

Oh thank you, THANK YOU for this dressing recipe. I have a young daughter who has not yet developed a taste for salad. She has disliked every dressing recipe I’ve tried – until today. ALl my kiddos LOVED your strawberry basil dressing and asked me to make it again. Thanks again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2012

That’s great to hear!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 30, 2012

I love how spring-like that dressing is! I can’t wait until all the spring produce is out! :)

stephany April 30, 2012

What type of camera do you use again? You take the best pictures!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2012

Thanks Stephany! My camera info is located on my FAQ page at the top of the blog.

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition April 30, 2012

Love your new heading! Very creative : )

Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana April 30, 2012

Mm…can’t wait to try this combination of strawberry and basil! Love your photos, spring is such a great time of year :)

Willow April 30, 2012

Beautiful photos! I’m so loving the onset of spring – the lilacs fencing in my back yard are beginning to bloom and they smell INCREDIBLE!
No matter the season, I never stop craving salads… but this looks just perfect for spring. I love the combo of strawberries and basil. Will definitely have to try that vinegraitte!

Danielle April 30, 2012

This dressing sounds so delicious and fresh! By the way, I love the new header! It’s perfect for spring/summer and gives a nice picnic feel. Keep it up I’m such a huge fan of your blog :)

Hilliary@Brunch and Cupcakes April 30, 2012

This salad looks delicious! I love all the bright colors, a perfect summer salad! I need to make that dressing!

Stephanie @ Legally Blinde April 30, 2012

Love your new blog header!! So creative. And your spring pictures are beautiful – every year I’m so in awe of all the new growth and beauty everywhere that it’s like I’m experiencing spring for the very first time. Your salad + dressing combo sounds wonderful! And I love that little pitcher you have your dressing in – so adorable.

Megan April 30, 2012

I made this tonight! I love strawberry and basil together, and I have a ton of lemons from my parents’ trees, so this was serendipitous! Loved it, my BF doesn’t even usually care about salad dressing but he was pleased with this too! So lovely and fresh.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2012

Glad to hear that Megan!

Kristin April 30, 2012

That looks super yummy, I wouldn’t have thought to do a fruity dressing, your photos are awesome, Im so happy the weather is starting to get nicer in my area; so I can try this out.

Molly April 30, 2012

I love spring and summer time food!!! The colors make me happy! I can’t wait to make this salad!

Jessica @ GardenGastronomy April 30, 2012

Lately I can’t get enough basil in my salads. I’ve been doing an Italian dressing/roasted red pepper/chickpea mix, but this looks good enough to shake me out of my rut! Strawberries are enough of a draw to get me to try almost anything!

hilarydoubleu April 30, 2012

OH. my. GOSH, Angela. I just made this salad… and at first, I didn’t understand how anyone could love any dressing so much that they would spoon it directly into their mouth—-until I found myself contemplating drinking the tart-basily-strawberry goodness. This is the BEST spring salad EVERRRR. I am so excited to have it for lunch tomorrow. You made my day! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2012

haha I’m glad you see my point of view!!

Kirsten May 1, 2012

Oh for the love of “yum!” I can’t wait to try this dressing. I’m on a cleanse right now and today is day one of two fasting days and it’s late– and I’m hungry. So this looks like a divine way to jump into a delicious bowl of yummy goodness come Wednesday. Now I’m counting the days!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 1, 2012

Perfect Salad! I love strawberry salad!! The dressing sounds amazing!!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes May 1, 2012

love it! Looks so good :)

Emily (Edible Psychology) May 1, 2012

I am probably a few days behind, but I LOVE your new header! And this salad dressing looks delicious.

~Emily~

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2012

Nope I just added it on the weekend :) Thank you!

Katrina May 1, 2012

This salad looks so yummy! Love it!

Ashley May 1, 2012

great photos! love the bird bums.

Zestful Lou May 1, 2012

I’ve been sick and now I’m PMS-ing….and I have completely lost ALL motivation to workout and eat veggies. I had been doing SO well for about 7 weeks. I went to the gym or for a run EVERYDAY! And my veggie consumption was through the roof! Awesome.

Where or where has my motivation gone? Oh where oh where can it be? With it’s sugar cut short and it’s veggies cut long, oh where oh where can it be?

Nadiya @ Milk and Honey May 1, 2012

Those baby geeze are so cute! I can’t believe that after living in the GTA for around 8-9 years I’ve never seen them before :D So cute <3

Jen @ Passport to Bliss May 1, 2012

Thanks for the recipe Angie! I was trying to come up with creative ways of incorporating strawberries into my life, and this is just the ticket! :)

Mel May 1, 2012

What camera do you use, if you dont mind me asking?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2012

Hey Mel, My camera info is on my FAQ page at the top of the blog: http://ohsheglows.com/faqs/#blogfaq question #10 :)

Ellie@Fit for the Soul May 1, 2012

Yummmmy! It reminds me of Panera Bread’s strawberry poppyseed salad–so good….And I love those photos, especially that seagull! (?)

Jan May 1, 2012

Oh that sounds so yummy. I just harvested some wild strawberry plants to add to my garden. I saved the recipe and will try it soon. Love salads! I really enjoy your photography too.

Kasi May 1, 2012

Made the dressing today, it was delish. And I agree, I am so drawn to this photo. Love it!!!!

Andrea May 1, 2012

I laughed when I saw this salad recipe as you must have sensed what I bought at the grocery store yesterday. I have all the needed ingredients so I can make this salad for dinner. I’ve made 3 of your other recipes in the past few days and they were all delicious. My father kept commenting on how tasty the strawberry lemondade was. Thank you!

Page 2 of 3«123»