14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

IMG 7909   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

I’ve been suffering from major recipe block. Or is it recipe flop?

Is that even a thing? I guess it is. I didn’t know it was a thing until I started making so many darn recipes. After last week’s so-so recipe creations, I spilled an entire can of coconut milk all over the inside of my fridge on Friday afternoon. Checkmate. That’s when I knew it was time to step away from the kitchen for a bit.

As it turns out, I like to eat a lot so my kitchen boycott didn’t last very long!

Then there is writer’s block. I can totally understand how writers lose their marbles and go completely bonkers. The more you think about writer’s block, the more blocked up you get. The blanker and more annoying the screen gets. And then you just end up writing something random like this post. I’ve also had speaker’s block since 1985. It can be cured with a couple glasses of wine though, so it’s not too serious. You should’ve seen me on Saturday night! I could’ve hosted my own talk show.

Despite feeling a bit apathetic to recipes as of late, food and I are still on very good terms. Shocker, I know! Grudges are not something I’m into. Just because my homemade chocolate recipe didn’t turn out the other day doesn’t mean I don’t happily take handfuls of chocolate chips from the jar when I walk by. I’m a firm believer in second chances. Plus, this recipe from 2009 wasn’t so bad to begin with.

To celebrate my love for food and streak of recipe flops, this is my next installment of Foods I’m Loving Lately. If you are looking for a recipe, there are a few below, including a fun strawberry lemonade that I can’t get enough of lately.

1. Avocados

For some reason I fell off the avocado train for a couple months, but I’m back like I was never gone. Do you ever forget about foods you love? I do it all the time. Then, BAM, one day I spot it in the store and it’s love at first sight all over again. Eat them in a wrap, on toast, in a salad, or in 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta. I’ve also been known to just slice one open and spoon it straight into my mouth.

IMG 9326   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

2. The Ultimate Organic Raw Wrap by Natural Living

When I think of all the wheat or rice based wraps I’ve enjoyed in my life…these flax wraps trump them ALL! They are bursting with good-for-you ingredients like ground flax, veggies, herbs, lemon, and spices. Wait! How can ground flax taste this good? I really don’t get it either. I bought these at Organic Garage in Oakville (in the freezer section)..but promise not to take my stash from me…

IMG 9318   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

Dressed up with avocado, veggies, and hummus…incredibly good and healthy.

IMG 9331   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

I was actually inspired to dig out my dehydrator (which has been collecting dust!) and try to make my own! I’m going to take my first shot at it today…wish me luck. Sour cream and onion kale chips and banana flax wraps are also on the menu. But first, I should wipe the 5 inches of dust off it.

IMG 9335   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

3. Frozen Mixed Greens

Are you stuck in a spinach rut with your Green Monsters? It’s an easy thing to do. Buying frozen mixed greens is an easy way to get a nice variety of nutrients in your smoothies. This blend in particular has a mix of collard, kale, and mustard greens. I’m not usually a fan of collard and mustard greens (ok…never), but I don’t even notice them once blended into a smoothie.

IMG 9248   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

4. Banana Soft Serve

Spring is in full force and so is Banana Soft Serve! I have bags of frozen bananas in my freezer to prove it. One thing is for sure, you never want to be caught with a banana soft serve craving and find yourself without any frozen bananas. It’s soul crushing. If you haven’t tried it yet, now is the time. To make it simply process frozen bananas in your food processor until creamy like ice cream. You can add a splash of almond milk or other mix-ins as desired. I will forever be grateful to Gena for bringing this into my life.

IMG 0569   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

5. President’s Choice Organic Almond Milk

President’s Choice just made me love them a bit more. They just came out with an organic version of their almond milk. This could be all in my head, but I SWEAR it tastes better (I did a side by side taste test). It’s also the same price as the non-organic Almond Breeze in one of the stores I spotted it.

IMG 9251   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

6. Sasha Co. Spelt Bread Crumbs

Like Panko, only whole grain and very flavourful. I love mixing these into stir fry’s to add a little somethin’ somethin’ & crunchy crunch.

IMG 9322   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

7. Omega Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies

Eric always says that I never make good recipes more than once, so once in a blue moon I prove him wrong. These cookies lasted 2 days.

IMG 6121   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

8. Crofter’s Raspberry Spread

What do you get when you spread Crofter’s raspberry jam, Sunbutter, and a mashed banana onto a piece of toast? Heaven, that’s what.

IMG 9323   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

9. Lemon or lime water

I’ve been trying to get more water into my diet and this is a good start to the day.

IMG 9308   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

10. Asparagus

Ok, I’m finally getting a bit tired of asparagus (I’ve made a couple cookbook recipes you didn’t see!), but prepared this way is just irresistible.

IMG 89221   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

11. Kettle Brand Krinkle Chips

We don’t buy chips very often, but when we do it’s a real treat. I love the short ingredient list of Kettle chips: organic potatoes, safflower/sunflower oil, and sea salt. The jalapeno and salt & vinegar are next on my list.

Might I also add, they are the perfect food to cure a hangover on a Sunday morning!

IMG 3052   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

12. Endurance Crackers

The easiest cracker to whip up and the perfect vehicle for hummus.

IMG 7218   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

13. Medjool Dates

IMG 8471   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

Nature’s candy! I’ve been trying out homemade date syrup too.

IMG 8513   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

14. 60 Second Strawberry Lemonade

Delightful on a hot day. For the recipe, click here. Update: I hear this link isn’t working for some of you. You can also view the recipe on Chatelaine’s website.

IMG 8684   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

What foods are you loving lately?

For part 1, see 7 Foods I’m Loving Lately.

A Teenage Gourmet April 23, 2012

I’m obsessed with grapefruit lately, and sweet potatoes!

sabina April 23, 2012

Angela – how much is the PC Organics Almond Milk? If it’s cheaper than Almond Breeze (I get it for $1.99), I might make the switch! Thanks!

Food I’ve been digging lately:

- matcha tea (plain, chain, cacao… mmmm!)
- this food combo: unsweetened applesauce + frozen cherries + cinnamon + cacao nibs + pumpkin seeds
- eggs (especially with nutritional yeast and smoked paprika mixed in)
- peanut butter and co.’s “the heat is on” peanut butter (SPICY peanut butter! it’s so good in savoury dishes!)

Andrea April 23, 2012

Yes, try the salt & vinegar kettle chips! Just bought a bag for the first time the other day and they are very good! I don’t buy chips often either, but I was really craving that salt & vinegar combo. It made me think of your salt & vinegar chickpeas which I definately have to try soon!

And I definately have that jar of jam in my cupboard right now that I have yet to open, thanks for the reminder :)

Kate April 23, 2012

Oh my gosh, I NEED those wraps!!! They do not sell those at our health food stores in Indiana.
Angela, I beg of you to figure out how to make them and post the recipe. I’ll purchase a food dehydrator just for them!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2012

hah I will try my best! My 2nd attempt was better than the first so progress is being made :)

sarah April 23, 2012

I was so happy to see that almond milk too! I usually buy the huge carton of almond breeze as its more economical, but this being organic is a plus!
I’ve been loving, loving, loving, the new PC multigrain crisps in salt and vinegar. I want you to try them, but proceed with caution! They are addictive…

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! April 23, 2012

I have been enjoying a lot of these foods too!! Especially dates and banana softserve!!! Especially together! :)

Ellen Clifford April 23, 2012

I bought a jar of vegan queso at Whole Foods that uses nutritional yeast and finally heated it up last night. I was surprised how much I dug it. It has chunks of peppers in it and was really spicy, which I love.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 23, 2012

That wrap looks amazing! You’re making me so excited to go to Organic Garage again when I get home. Also, I love the PC almond milk too. And as a bonus, it’s fortified with more nutrients than Almond Breeze!

Lately I’ve been loving Yogi Egyptian Licorice tea. I’m seriously hooked on it!

Wonderwoman April 23, 2012

So glad you wrote this post. I didn’t know about the breakfast cookies or the strawberry lemonade! I’m excited to try both right away. I am loving dandelion greens, arugula, and nettles right now. Can’t get enough.

K April 23, 2012

Foods I’m into right now:
Mary’s Organic Crackers- go to Costco for them!
PC organic almond milk
Kind bars- almond and coconut variety
juicing- carrots, celery, apples, ginger

K April 23, 2012

Oh, and your oh mega carrot cake cookies
and homemade granola I make these two things almost on a weekly basis!

kath April 23, 2012

I am very much into salty kettle chips these days too :)

Meagan April 23, 2012

FLAX CORN TORTILLAS:
3 cups fresh corn kernels, cut from 2-3 ears, or thawed frozen corn
1 1/3 cups chopped yellow or red bell peppers
1 cup flax meal
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon ground chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp ground cumin
*  The last time I added some cilantro and a chunk of onion

Blend in food processor until smooth

Dehydrate at 115 for 3 to 4 hours.  Flip over onto the trays and peel away the Teflex.  Place back in dehydrator for about two more hours.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 23, 2012

I’m loving Broccoli Slaw lately. We’ve made homemade broccoli slaw egg rolls, sauteed it and served pasta sauce over it, etc. The possibilities are endless!

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan April 23, 2012

I’ve been hooked on some of the same foods — can’t wait to try the carrot cake omega cookies – yum!!

Becky April 23, 2012

i was wondering when you make those banana flax wraps will you post the recipe? I also have a dehydrator that is collecting dust. Those wraps sound really yummy!! Thanks!

Meister, Running While Smiling April 23, 2012

I love this list! What a great post — forget all that “writers block” talk, this is such a joyful little interlude. Why not just celebrate the things you love every once in a while?! We should all be lucky enough to have 14 delicious foods to be grateful for!

(PS: No kidding, how awesome are dates?!?)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2012

Totally agree!

Luv What You Do April 23, 2012

Avocado is definitely on my LOVING IT list!

I am also really likeing TJ’s 8 veggie salad and TJ’s dried bananas (with PB).
These Picky Bars are my go to training food right now!

Kristin Hackman April 23, 2012

Angela – you are a magician in the kitchen – you amaze me and think of the best ways to be so good and so evil with food :) SO, wanted to share: I LOVE my plain greek yogurt. Fage is my fav, although not organic. I use it for a salad dressing often: I take a frozen cilantro cube defrosted and them mix in yogurt, splash of lime, S&P to taste and maybe a little olive oil to thin (the best over greens, red onion, avocado and spicy black bean burger). Also LOVE spreading PB or almond butter over a rice cake & then topping w/ greek yogurt, cinnamon & blueberries for snack. For my toddlers, mix in defrosted frozen berries and flax meal – yum! Thanks for all of you do, it is ALL worth it!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2012

Thank you Kristin!

Jane April 23, 2012

Big YUM to all the above! I’ve been on a bit of an asparagus kick lately and love it even sliced raw in a salad or roasted is amazing too. I just bought large raw, unsweetened coconut flakes and have been putting them in my oatmeal/grains in the morning. Sooo good! Also, have you ever had mochi or cooked with it? It seems so…different.

And I have to say that as soon as I read jam, sun butter, and banana on toast I was all ready to scroll down and see a picture of it. Guess I’ll just have to create it on my own :) Sounds delish!

Love to hear what you’re loving!

Kit-Kat April 23, 2012

Sorry to hear about your recipe-block. Bummer! :-/

However, your eats look fantastic. Mmmm, dates! :-d Those are my current food I’ve been loving these past two weeks (it was part of my Easter basket candy! Dried fruits are the ultimate candy!!!)

Susan April 23, 2012

Limes – I like to put lemon wedges in my water bottle at work but when I went to the grocery the store last week they were all out – can you imagine! So instead I bought limes and love the change in flavor. I also used lime zest in a few recipes in place of lemon and it was fantastic.
Recently discovered wheatberries – yummy in salad.
And lastly your detox salad with cranberries subbed in for currents and hemp seed sprinkled on top

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2012

You just reminded me about wheatberries…I need to bring them back in my life :)

bri carpenter April 23, 2012

Every post you write just makes me want to move back to Ontario! Canada has so many more healthy food options at affordable prices. I love presidents choice products!
We’re having the avo pasta for dinner tonight and I’m making the banana soft serve this afternoon :)

Colleen ~ April 23, 2012

Hi Angela!

I stumbled upon your blog while looking for healthy vegan recipe ideas, and I just wanted to say hi and thank you for sharing such an awesome blog! Although I’ve only read the About You section and this one entry, I’m already super excited to continue exploring!! I’ve been a runner, yogi, and foodie for years, and have been earnestly trying to work more vegan meals into my diet :)

Have a happy Tuesday!

Colleen
Austin, TX

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2012

Hey Colleen, So nice to meet you! Thanks for your kind words about my blog. I hope you enjoy it :)

Tara April 23, 2012

Crofter’s raspberry is amazing! I’ve totally switched over to it from my other jam.

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! April 23, 2012

I forget about foods all the time and then reconnect with them spontaniously. I always think, “how have I lived without you all these weeks.” I am thinking majool dates and me have a date for the near future now that you mention them!

Nathalie April 23, 2012

I COMPLETELY agree about PC organic almond milk tasting better than Almond Breeze. It’s pretty mind blowing. I’m not completely vegan (vegan at home, vegetarian outside my home) so I haven’t quite forgotten what milk is like in tea since dairy-free isn’t always available. The point of me telling you this is that PC almond milk is the closest thing I’ve found to having regular milk in my hot beverages, in fact I can’t really tell any difference! and it’s even cheaper than AB at my local Loblaws!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2012

awesome!! Glad im not the only one. Its soooo creamy right?

Allison @Can't Wait For Breakfast April 24, 2012

That Crofter’s raspberry jam is amazing!! I was addicted to it for a looooong time. I recently found that the Traders Joes Raspberry preserves taste about the same as well, so now I switch off depending on which store I do my shopping at!

Lately I have been loving putting mint in my iced coffee! Amazing! :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva April 24, 2012

going to make those omega cookies asap!!! I made a version of your ultimate oatmeal raisin cookie and they turned out AMAZING!!! They were even brother approved (he hates anything remotely ‘healthy’ but gobbled these up no problem). Hope your writers/recipe block clears up soon :)

Sheena April 24, 2012

I picked up those raw wraps yesterday at Organic Garage while grocery shopping and I am pretty sure I saw you there Angela!
I wasn’t 100% it was you otherwise I would have stopped to say hello.
The wraps are delicious, great suggestion.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2012

hah yes I was there- getting MORE wraps!! haa. Thats funny you saw me…I was happy there were some left. ;) Hope to see you another time!

Mari April 24, 2012

Hei Glowing Angela!

I have just finished reading your blog posts from 2008. (I started last week). And I’m hooked! There were so many posts that spoke straight to my heart and often made me cry. I could identify myself to the things you wrote.
I feel so inspired and first time in a long time (it’s been a tough winter) I feel the energy to change things (mostly my thoughts) and also enjoy my life as it is right now. Reading your posts made me realize that I’m not the only one with anxiety.
Anyway I’m hoping you a wonderful spring and lots of sunshine!
/Mari from Finland
P.S. creamy avocado pasta = Love!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2012

Thank you Mari, that means so much to me to read that! I wish you all the best with the changes you want to make. PS- Love that you are from Finland! So cool :) I want to visit there some day.

Mari April 26, 2012

You’re mostly welcome! :D

Joann@womaninreallife April 24, 2012

I love your list! I am so looking forward to making that strawberry lemonade!

jamie @ flourchildren April 24, 2012

raw kale beet purple cabbage and carrot salad, with a tahini dressing. So. Good.

And lavender shortbread cookies!

Ang W April 24, 2012

Aw Ange! Even with writers block your posts are so fun! I really enjoy your sense of humor. I think I get writer’s block just thinking about the idea of committing to write anything on a schedule! I’ve been really into veggie chili’s all winter/spring. Chop up a mountain of whatever veg I have in the fridge, saute, add some diced tomatoes, bean of choice, chili powder, cumin, oregano, chili flakes etc… and eat a huge steaming bowl with brown rice. Just warms my soul on a chilly day! But transitioning into warm weather foods… we just made your veggie burgers this weekend and they were AWESOME!! Thanks for all your inspiration!

Steph April 24, 2012

I think I ate that Asparagus everyday last week, still looking for more :-)

Katie April 24, 2012

I’m so happy you posted those Endurance Crackers. I missed your original post about them. I have a tree nut allergy, so most granola/trail mix/energy bar recipes out there (as well as store bought ones) are off limits for me. I get really sick of relying on sunflower seeds and peanuts. These crackers look perfect for me!

Do you know if the finished product would freeze well so I could make large batches for future eating?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2012

I can’t see why it wouldn’t freeze well! Let me know if you try it.

Katie April 25, 2012

I might make them this weekend, so I’ll let you know!

Rebecca Leyte April 24, 2012

I recently discovered PC Organics almond milk too. It’s the best. Really love it in my coffee or on cereal. Also I could eat an avocado everyday!

Elizabeth April 24, 2012

Oh how I’d love to try those wraps!! I don’t get writer’s block simply because I never write :), but I’m confident the juices will start flowing for you! I’m looking forward to more entree recipe posts…those are my favorites! Thanks for all your great posts. You do a wonderful job!

Emilia April 24, 2012

I love crofter’s jam too (I wonder if they sell it in the US or if its a Canadian company?? Have you ever tried the sugar free crofter’s one?? It’s actually really good.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2012

I havent..the full sugar one would be hard to beat! hah. What sweetener do they use?

Melissa P @ SquatsandSquash April 24, 2012

wow, I’ve been in search for new and interesting foods, and here are TONS to try! Thanks!!

Page 3 of 4«1234»